Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2019!

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2019!

Post by Miriam2 »

K72 wrote: Told my boss last August that I was going to retire before July this year. We've talked informally all along and mutually zeroed in on sometime in May. This week he asked me for an email with a specific date so he could start the hiring process for my replacement.
No use starting the hiring process. Can't be done - you're irreplaceable :D
K72 wrote:It felt awfully strange to send the email (I picked May 17), but I did it. Feels good actually!

Immediate plans are to finish a Master's degree I've been working on for the past two years (graduation date June 2020) and begin to tackle long overdue household projects. I'll likely do some volunteer tutoring starting this fall at our local high school and work on expanding my bucket list.
What nice plans! About time to tackle those long overdue household projects 8-) We wish you good luck and a long and happy retirement!
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Congratulations to our upcoming May graduates, the end of the month will be here before we know it :D
saddle_tramp wrote: Official retirement date: May 16. WooHoo :sharebeer
Yikes!! Only 2 more days to go, hope your bags are packed 8-)
dknightd wrote: I turned in my paper work today. First day of retirement 9/1/19. Last day of work 5/31/19
Barely two more weeks away, hope you have a great retirement party planned before you do some serious relaxing 8-)
Spindrift wrote: It is done! Gave notice yesterday. I finally hopped off of the One More Week syndrome that had me trapped in a doom loop. Last day set for Mid May. What a relief I feel!!
Ooohh we hear you loud and clear! Happy you're off the One More Year Doom Loop - life is too short for that :beer
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

OregonDucksFan wrote: First date of retirement. June 1 2019.

My boss said “how could you”?

I said “disciplined saving and investing”
Ok Ducks, you're on the retirement list :D Only 2 more weeks to go and you can start spending all that money you squirreled away :mrgreen:
pennywise

Post by pennywise »

Following up on myself...
pennywise wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 7:42 am I won't submit 'the letter' until June 1 but please add me to the retirement class roll: I will be retiring on June 30 after working at the same place, a university, for 38 years.

I kept getting project assignments and calendar invites for fall commitments so....yesterday I started the paperwork with HR a bit early then turned in 'the letter' aka retirement notice to my boss.

I'm a little nervous, it's not often you switch up routines that have been in place almost 40 years but life is for learning in the words of an immortal baby boomer anthem so retirement here I come!

Indeed my heart was pounding when I hit the send button, at which point my perspective instantly and magically transformed. I feel so incredibly light, eager and excited! And best of all, the office BS (and we've got a lot of office BS going on right now) doesn't matter to me any more, not one single bit.
:D
So it's official, Miriam please put me on the list for a June 30 freedom date! Think I'm going to like this retirement gig
TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun »

pennywise wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 6:40 am Following up on myself...
pennywise wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 7:42 am I won't submit 'the letter' until June 1 but please add me to the retirement class roll: I will be retiring on June 30 after working at the same place, a university, for 38 years.

I kept getting project assignments and calendar invites for fall commitments so....yesterday I started the paperwork with HR a bit early then turned in 'the letter' aka retirement notice to my boss.

I'm a little nervous, it's not often you switch up routines that have been in place almost 40 years but life is for learning in the words of an immortal baby boomer anthem so retirement here I come!

Indeed my heart was pounding when I hit the send button, at which point my perspective instantly and magically transformed. I feel so incredibly light, eager and excited! And best of all, the office BS (and we've got a lot of office BS going on right now) doesn't matter to me any more, not one single bit.
:D
So it's official, Miriam please put me on the list for a June 30 freedom date! Think I'm going to like this retirement gig
Congratulations, Ms. Pennywise!

TravelforFun
Cardinalsfan

Post by Cardinalsfan »

I am finally official! Put retirement date in for July 4th after 25 years at megacorp!
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

pennywise wrote: Following up on myself... So it's official, Miriam please put me on the list for a June 30 freedom date! Think I'm going to like this retirement gig
We can feel your excitement! Freedom before you know it, the weeks will pass by in a flash. Start cleaning out that old desk tomorrow and plan for sweet good-byes. :D This should be a free-wheeling fun summer for you! May it be the first of many 8-)
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

CFOKevin wrote: Bogleheads,

I'm late to this party and am happy to report that I retired on February 1st, just after my 58th birthday. My wife is wrapping things up at her job and will join in the fun in July.
Nooooo! - you're never late to our Bogleheads parties! Retirement at 58 years young is awesome :D
CFOKevin wrote:So far, I've taken up pickleball and have fallen hard for it. A couple of hours a day on weekdays has helped the first 20 lbs come off and I'm looking forward to many more hours of play (and pounds lost). Another benefit of pickleball has been meeting 40-50 new acquaintances, some well on the way to being friends.
What a fun retirement - a new enjoyable physical activity, good for the body, good for the old ticker, and a warm social life as well.
CFOKevin wrote:Other than that, I'm volunteering a bit more and working somewhat leisurely through through the household to-do list which always seems to be followed by another one.
Oh yeah, it's never ending, and then it comes back around - I'm repairing a bathroom that I already repaired twice before :annoyed And my trees need another pruning, my roof needs another cleaning, and such are the joys of home ownership in perpetuity :annoyed
CFOKevin wrote:Wishing everyone a long and happy retirement filled with the things you want to do (and don't have to do!).
Cheers,
Kevin
A perfect and delightful cheer! You're on this Wonderful Retirement Roll Call 8-)
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

lakinui wrote: July 7, 2019 for me! I worked my last full week two weeks ago. This week will be my last 4 day workweek, then the remaining weeks will be 3 day workweeks. I have a total of 31 actual work days left between now and my last day.
Nice slow transition into the land of retirement 8-) Welcome to the Class of 2019! (and nice avatar!)

As our friend cfs says, "You are about to embark on an awesome adventure . . . so have a happy retirement, stay mentally and physically active, and enjoy life." :happy
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Cardinalsfan wrote: I am finally official! Put retirement date in for July 4th after 25 years at megacorp!
What a great independence day!! After 25 years at megacorp, doing all the great things you did for them, you deserve BIG fireworks :D

Congratulations Cardinalsfan, you're on our Independence Roll Call - and best wishes for a long, happy, healthy retirement :sharebeer
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

We are happy to provide this latest update for the Awesome Retirement Class of 2019 8-)

Please post if you would like to be added to this Very Special Roll Call.

We already have 26 graduates getting ready for their first summer as Free-Floaters :D
Already Graduated!! - Congratulations :sharebeer
01 Jan - Tzoellner (60)
02 Jan - bhsince87
05 Jan - Canoesmith
09 Jan - JonnyBeRetired (56)
11 Jan - Tycoon (55)
12 Jan - InMyDreams
15 Jan - David Jay (62)
15 Jan - cyclist (62)
__ Jan - doneat53
__ Jan - Osprey
__ Jan - cogitan

01 Feb - dskelcy (62)
01 Feb - CFOKevin (58)
15 Feb - falconsfan (60)

29 Mar - Xelah (58)
29 Mar - bluelight (62)
__ Mar - Kcr8n (60)
__ Mar - Amirbb (62)

05 Apr - kacang
05 Apr - MLColorado (65)
30 Apr - BoomXer (61)
__ Apr - oldmotos (64)

10 May - Vagabondette (44)
16 May - saddle_tramp
17 May - K72
17 May - sf64 (54) <<== Welcome to the Class!!

Graduating Soon!! - Counting the days :mrgreen:
31 May - dknightd
31 May - L8rboys (60)
__ May - kjsammy (65)
__ May - Spindrift (57)

01 Jun - OregonDucksFan (49)
21 Jun - nesdog (65)
28 Jun - peppers
30 Jun - pennywise
__ Jun - Luv2Perform
__ Jun - psrobinson (67)
__ Jun/Jul - Zonian59 (60)

01 Jul - walterbird
01 Jul - lacseul (67)
04 Jul - Cardinalsfan (60)
07 Jul - Lakinui
31 Jul - Castanea_d (mid-60's)
__ Jul - MROCTOBER (62)
__ Jul - Barsoom (60)

16 Aug - TravelforFun (67)
__ Aug - spearo
__ Aug - 3504PIR
__ Aug - dayzero

27 Sep - peetsperk (62)
__ Sep - Barefootgirl

21 Nov - chevre (69)

13 Dec - Rus In Urbe
27 Dec - user9532 (63)
31 Dec - ClaycordJCA (60)
__ retire2022 (62?)

8-) The Infinity Retirement Class
TheTimeLord (class of 2014/2015/2016/2017/2018/2019 . . to infinity and beyond! . . )

Let me know your missing date and age and we will reboot the list :happy
Last edited by Miriam2 on Sun May 26, 2019 2:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
user9532

Post by user9532 »

Retiring on 12/27/2019. Age 63.
Amirbb

Post by Amirbb »

Retired as of March 2019. Age 62.
Now what?
TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun »

Of the 31 people who list their ages, average retirement age: 61.03, oldest: 69, youngest: 44. I'm retiring on August 16 at age 67 so I guess I'm not retiring too early.

TravelforFun
jamacq

Post by jamacq »

Unfortunately, I have to report that my date has moved out by 6 months which will put me into the class of 2020.

I was given a new position and agreed to stay in it for a few more months to help solve some problems. Please change me from July 4, 2019 to Jan 16, 2020. Both my wife and I are retiring on the same date and already have some travel plans. Since you are collecting age stats, I will be 61.5 on my retirement date.

Jeff
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

user9532 wrote: Retiring on 12/27/2019. Age 63.
Thank you for posting and we included you on this important Roll Call. Now you have about 6 months to get your Retirement Act together and that To-Do List started :D
Amirbb wrote: Retired as of March 2019. Age 62.
Now what?
Congratulations! You're on our re-boot :D
"Now what?" - Well, you are going to LOVE retirement \\\\//// (happy dance :D ) - a new transition into a great new beginning of the rest of your life. Please keep us posted on your new adventure.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

jamacq wrote: Unfortunately, I have to report that my date has moved out by 6 months which will put me into the class of 2020.

I was given a new position and agreed to stay in it for a few more months to help solve some problems. Please change me from July 4, 2019 to Jan 16, 2020. Both my wife and I are retiring on the same date and already have some travel plans. Since you are collecting age stats, I will be 61.5 on my retirement date.
Thank you for your update! That should be one Fantastic Retirement Party - both of you retiring the same day, then setting off into your new retirement adventure :D

Yikes!! This means we'll need to get the Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2020 cooking :shock: :shock: You may be the first graduate of the new class. And of course, wherever you are, you likely will be the Most Senior Boglehead of the class, having joined this great Bogleheads.org forum on March 4, 2007, barely three weeks after it began on Feb. 19, 2007 :D
Cardinalsfan

Post by Cardinalsfan »

I will be going out at the age of 60!
Tycoon

Post by Tycoon »

Miriam2, if you would like to you can add (55) after my username.
Emotionless, prognostication free investing. Ignoring the noise and economists since 1979. Getting rich off of "smart people's" behavioral mistakes.
sf64

Post by sf64 »

My last day at work was Friday, May 17 -- I am now retired, at 54!
peetsperk

Post by peetsperk »

Congratulations on your retirement sf64. Monday morning should feel very different tomorrow. I look forward to joining you in 4 months. Best regards.
Cardinalsfan

Post by Cardinalsfan »

I will be going out at the age of 60! And thank you for the update Marian!
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

sf64 wrote: My last day at work was Friday, May 17 -- I am now retired, at 54!
Another happy retiree! Best wishes for a happy retirement full of new adventure and enjoyment.
You're on the Roll Call :D
dknightd

Post by dknightd »

Well, that is it for me. Happy Friday! My last one working for money :)
Retired 2019. So far, so good. I want to wake up every morning. But I want to die in my sleep. Just another conundrum. I think the solution might be afternoon naps ;)
Spindrift

Post by Spindrift »

Spindrift wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:12 am It is done! Gave notice yesterday. I finally hopped off of the One More Week syndrome that had me trapped in a doom loop. Last day set for Mid May. What a relief I feel!!
Well they made me an offer I could not refuse to remain on until a replacement is found and facilitate a smooth transition. So I'm likely now delayed until July or so. Well worth it with the money they threw at me. I'll keep you posted when the final date is set.
Punta Cana DR

Post by Punta Cana DR »

Found out this week I am joining class of 2019 in September, glad this website has provided excellent advice for unplanned retirement at 57.

But, excited for the future in Hilton Head and new hobbies 😀
peetsperk

Post by peetsperk »

Congratulations to dknightd on your retirement. Best of luck! Also wanted to welcome Punta Cana DR to our Retirement Class of 2019. September is just around the corner. Can"t wait!
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

dknightd wrote: Well, that is it for me. Happy Friday! My last one working for money :)
Dknightd, enjoyed your post! and now you can work for yourself 8-) Please keep us posted what you're doing. Bogleheads enjoy reading about the retirement adventures of fellow classmates.

And thank you, fellow Bogleheads, for helping to congratulate others on their retirement :happy
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Spindrift wrote: Well they made me an offer I could not refuse to remain on until a replacement is found and facilitate a smooth transition. So I'm likely now delayed until July or so. Well worth it with the money they threw at me. I'll keep you posted when the final date is set.
Thank you for checking in.

See how valuable you are! (be sure to remind your spouse :mrgreen: ) They made you an offer you could not refuse :moneybag because they could not work without you! And it was "well worth it with the money they threw" at you!

Why, Spindrift . . . . you really could make something of this . . . you know, announce your retirement, they panic, they throw more money your way, you relent, you work, then you announce another retirement, they panic, etc etc - why, you could keep this up for quite some time :D
thefirst100k

Post by thefirst100k »

I envy and admire you all. I'm about 5% to FI, 2.5% to RE. Go live life and try not to think about money too much. Congrats!
nesdog

Post by nesdog »

Update for me: June 26th. Just a little over 3-1/2 weeks until the finish line.

I first posted on this thread last year when there was no light at the end of the tunnel. It still feels endless, I must admit!

Should find out this week which of the 4 candidates for my position will be hired. Then we'll begin the knowledge transfer. At that point, all will come into focus and I'll allow myself to start getting really excited!

Plan for that day is to show up for an hour, walk around the campus to consider the memories and then go meet my wife for a pancake breakfast at a local place we like. After that, whatever I feel like doing!
Insert clever comment here...
dknightd

Post by dknightd »

Miriam2 wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:29 pm
dknightd wrote: Well, that is it for me. Happy Friday! My last one working for money :)
Dknightd, enjoyed your post! and now you can work for yourself 8-) Please keep us posted what you're doing. Bogleheads enjoy reading about the retirement adventures of fellow classmates.

And thank you, fellow Bogleheads, for helping to congratulate others on their retirement :happy
Well, day one. So far so good ;) I got to the beer store and grocery store before the crowds, and when I felt like it ;) Congratulations to others in the class of 2019!
Retired 2019. So far, so good. I want to wake up every morning. But I want to die in my sleep. Just another conundrum. I think the solution might be afternoon naps ;)
3504PIR

Post by 3504PIR »

A quick update to my retirement journey this year. On 31 May after work, I got on a plane departing Hawaii for California to begin my final leave/vacation days. We pick up our car this week in California and begin a slow drive across the country, visiting various sites and family along the way.

I am now finished with work and will be on vacation time through 16 August 2019 when I will be officially off the books!

Here’s to not yet being retired but not having to go to work ever again!
TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun »

3504PIR wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:31 pm
I am now finished with work and will be on vacation time through 16 August 2019 when I will be officially off the books!

We have the same retirement date. August 16, but unlike you, I'm part-timing (3 days a week) until then. Cheers!

TravelforFun
3504PIR

Post by 3504PIR »

TravelforFun wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:30 pm

We have the same retirement date. August 16, but unlike you, I'm part-timing (3 days a week) until then. Cheers!

TravelforFun
Cheer to you as well, congratulations!
dknightd

Post by dknightd »

Cheers! My last day working was also 5/31/19. My first day of official retirement is 9/1.
In some ways this a good thing. In some ways it complicates things a little.
I'm still in the just do nothing for a little while phase ;)
Sounds like you jumped right into the vacation phase. :)
Planning vacations is such hard work, I think put it off for a little while. I probably have should planned while I was still working ;) I think I'll start planning for something next month . . .
Again congratulations. It is a nice feeling isn't it :cheers:
goblue100

Post by goblue100 »

Congrats to all the 2019 retirees! I made a decision recently that my last day will be in 599 days. Early 2021. I guess that thread will start in a year or so, but I couldn't wait to share, lol. :happy
"Confusion has its cost" - Crosby, Stills and Nash
DartThrower

Post by DartThrower »

Semi-retired on 5/10/19. Feels great to be able to go for a long jog early in the morning, then take a nap if needed, then do some part time work-at-home. This leaves my evenings free to have dinner and relax with DW when she gets home from work. I am also finding time to take some online classes to study topics I didn't have the time for while working full time.

It feels weird to have less structure in my day, but it's a good kind of weird.

The longer term plan is to live as expats in Europe for a while (before possible grandchildren arrive :D ). I find it really informative to read the threads on expat living here. DW will teach English abroad to make some spending money and I will try to find volunteer work. That's the plan anyway. With our free time we will do a serious amount of biking/hiking and touring. We anticipate spending up to 3 years there starting in 2020.
After one has played a vast quantity of notes and more notes, it is simplicity that emerges as the crowning reward of art. Chopin
jimmyq

Post by jimmyq »

Add my name to the list. I had been thinking of leaving my company for a while, but got a kick in the pants when I was told a week ago that my job function was being transferred overseas. Instead of considering it a layoff, I have decided to turn this into a fortunate opportunity to retire early at age 52 with a nice going-away bonus (ie severence package). My last day of work is June 28.
peetsperk

Post by peetsperk »

jimmyq congratulations on successfully managing your finances in such a way that makes this is possible. That's called turning lemons into lemonade! You should be proud. Enjoy your early retirement!
nesdog

Post by nesdog »

Updating myself again: my employer has now hired my replacement! I meet with him on Monday for knowledge transfer. Of the four candidates, he was the one I lobbied for so pretty happy about that.

Cleared out nearly all of my personal things from my office and washed off the desk. Grabbed a new keyboard for my computer so that he gets nice clean items. Tuesday will be my last full day (forget that, I've been leaving early anyway). Wednesday morning I'm in for an hour for departure activities.

All ready to leave this wonderful place I've worked for the past 17 years!
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Congratulations class of 2019!
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
peetsperk

Post by peetsperk »

Originally, gave my employer 6 months notice to prepare. The transition is progressing ahead of schedule. My last planned day was supposed to be September 27th. Miriam2 it looks like my official retirement day will now be Friday, July 26th. Thirty-five days and counting. :D
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Cardinalsfan wrote: I will be going out at the age of 60! And thank you for the update Marian!
Au contraire, Cardinalsfan!! You will be going IN - into the next fabulous phase of your long and wonderful life :D
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Punta Cana DR wrote: Found out this week I am joining class of 2019 in September, glad this website has provided excellent advice for unplanned retirement at 57.

But, excited for the future in Hilton Head and new hobbies 😀
Punta Cana DR, thank you for your post, adding yourself to our fabulous Retirement Class of 2019!

An unplanned retirement can be the beginning of a great new adventure :D Enjoy your new future in beautiful Hilton Head - but I read they have alligators there, so watch what new hobbies you get yourself into :wink: Please let us know how your retirement goes.
nesdog

Post by nesdog »

Ladies and Gentlemen!

I am done! Toast! Turned in the keys yesterday. Officially off the payroll on Friday, but using accrued Personal Days, was able to walk off a touch early.
Went to breakfast with my wife, no work today....or ever!

In truth, it was really hard. I found it difficult to maintain some sense of composure in bidding goodbye to my team and my boss. I was there 17 years, 3 months in a great job.

I'm a bit lost on how to spend the next few days. Lots of chores I've been putting off but my wife and I have a good list of fun things to do.

Tomorrow I will head to the beach for a mid-week surf session. Maybe a bike ride on Friday.

I have graduated and now sport a Senior Class of 2019 T- Shirt!
TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun »

nesdog wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:46 pm Ladies and Gentlemen!

I am done! Toast! Turned in the keys yesterday. Officially off the payroll on Friday, but using accrued Personal Days, was able to walk off a touch early.
Went to breakfast with my wife, no work today....or ever!

In truth, it was really hard. I found it difficult to maintain some sense of composure in bidding goodbye to my team and my boss. I was there 17 years, 3 months in a great job.

I'm a bit lost on how to spend the next few days. Lots of chores I've been putting off but my wife and I have a good list of fun things to do.

Tomorrow I will head to the beach for a mid-week surf session. Maybe a bike ride on Friday.

I have graduated and now sport a Senior Class of 2019 T- Shirt!
Congratulations nesdog! Please come back here a month from now and let us know how you spend your days. My trigger-pulling date is August 16.

TravelforFun
Goodmand3

Post by Goodmand3 »

Fellow classmates of 2019

I spent my last day at the office yesterday and went to my retirement reception today with my wife. 44 years in the business and I will be 75 tomorrow. Looking forward to figuring this chapter out: no plans to learn how to play the violin, but maybe pickle ball. Congratulations to prior graduates.
nesdog

Post by nesdog »

Goodmand3 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:13 pm Fellow classmates of 2019

I spent my last day at the office yesterday and went to my retirement reception today with my wife. 44 years in the business and I will be 75 tomorrow. Looking forward to figuring this chapter out: no plans to learn how to play the violin, but maybe pickle ball. Congratulations to prior graduates.
Congrats! Both of us on the same day!

Pickle ball is huge in our area of Socal. I used to play paddle tennis, wife and I are now looking at PB also.
peetsperk

Post by peetsperk »

Congratulations and a job well done to fellow classmates nesdog and Goodmand3. I hope you both enjoy your time in the coming days, weeks, months and years.
:sharebeer