Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2019!

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2019!

Post by Miriam2 »

The Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2019 is now open!

"We're off to relax from the daily grind
And leaving the 8 to 5 behind
No more meetings, no more skypes
No more listening to business gripes."

:D Are you planning to RETIRE in 2019? Congratulations! If you are interested in having your name added to the list, just post at the end of this thread and tell us the date you are planning to retire (estimated dates and TBD dates are okay) and your age, if you choose, and you will be included in this Roll Call.
Last edited by Miriam2 on Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tycoon

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2019!

Post by Tycoon »

Jan. 2019 for me.
Emotionless, prognostication free investing. Ignoring the noise and economists since 1979. Getting rich off of "smart people's" behavioral mistakes.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

cfs, thank you for bringing the complete "Retirement Series" to our attention :happy

Now we have SIX conversations on the "Retirement Series."

For anyone not on the Roll Call lists, it is never too late, just click on the applicable link and add your name to the list.

Link to Retirement Class of 2014

Link to Retirement Class of 2015

Link to Retirement Class of 2016

Link to Retirement Class of 2017

Link to Retirement Class of 2018
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Tycoon wrote: Jan. 2019 for me.
Congratulations Tycoon! You may be our first graduate 8-)
cfs

Post by cfs »

We are up and running!

Thanks Miss Miriam for taking care of the Retirement Series.

Good luck y gracias por leer / cfs
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

I plan on becoming a stay home spouse in 2019, but first I am going to try some modifications to my work schedule going into the 4th quarter of 2018. Still working on how to max out life.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
David Jay

Post by David Jay »

I haven’t been able to swing a deal with the management team (hoped to make it 2018), so put me down for April 2nd, 2019 as my last day at work.
Last edited by David Jay on Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's not an engineering problem - Hersh Shefrin | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius
cfs

Post by cfs »

TheTimeLord wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:41 pm . . . I plan on becoming a stay home spouse in 2019 . . .
David Jay wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:13 pm . . . so put me down for April 2nd . . .
Good luck with your decision, and if you retire please to stay mentally and physically active. Gracias por leer ~cfs~
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

TheTimeLord wrote: I plan on becoming a stay home spouse in 2019, but first I am going to try some modifications to my work schedule going into the 4th quarter of 2018. Still working on how to max out life.
Thanks for the update TimeLord! "Still working on how to to max out life." - here's a nice read from Jonathan Clements 8-)

"Money can buy happiness, but you have to be smart about how you use your wealth. Purchasing more and more stuff isn't a recipe for happiness. Similarly, using your money to buy a life of endless leisure probably won't make you happy. So what will?

I think money can do three things for us.

First, wealth can allow us to spend our days engaged in activities that we're passionate about and that we think are important.

Second, money can allow us to have special times with friends and family, such as going out to dinner or paying for a family vacation. Research tells us that a robust network of friends and family can give a huge boost to happiness.

Third, many folks worry constantly about money. But if you amass a moderate amount of wealth, financial concerns shouldn't weigh on you so heavily."

--- Jonathan Clements, Aug. 28, 2014
infotrader

Post by infotrader »

Annual retirement roll call always gives me inspiration and hope.
montanagirl

Post by montanagirl »

deleted
Last edited by montanagirl on Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

Miriam2 wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:11 pm
TheTimeLord wrote: I plan on becoming a stay home spouse in 2019, but first I am going to try some modifications to my work schedule going into the 4th quarter of 2018. Still working on how to max out life.
Thanks for the update TimeLord! "Still working on how to to max out life." - here's a nice read from Jonathan Clements 8-)

"Money can buy happiness, but you have to be smart about how you use your wealth. Purchasing more and more stuff isn't a recipe for happiness. Similarly, using your money to buy a life of endless leisure probably won't make you happy. So what will?

I think money can do three things for us.

First, wealth can allow us to spend our days engaged in activities that we're passionate about and that we think are important.

Second, money can allow us to have special times with friends and family, such as going out to dinner or paying for a family vacation. Research tells us that a robust network of friends and family can give a huge boost to happiness.

Third, many folks worry constantly about money. But if you amass a moderate amount of wealth, financial concerns shouldn't weigh on you so heavily."

--- Jonathan Clements, Aug. 28, 2014
Life can only be lived in the present so I try not to approach it with the belief life begins at retirement. So to max it out to me, I have to find ways to make the best of every today no matter how wonderful I believe retirement will be. Honestly, I think I would prefer a 3-4 day work week to being a full time stay at home spouse.
Last edited by TheTimeLord on Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl »

September 2019 for me, thanks!

Just getting added here is a mile marker!

When 9/2018 rolls around, I hope to start drawing down on more time off by taking lots of vacation.... as good of a semi-retirement as I can pull off for now!
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.
cfs

Post by cfs »

montanagirl wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:58 pm . . .April 2018, when my tax prep job ended . . .
Member of the class of 2018!!! Congratulations and welcome to The Active Retired Force. Good luck y gracias por leer / cfs
cfs

Post by cfs »

Barefootgirl wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:15 pm . . . September 2019 for me . . .
Member of the class of 2019! You are going to like The Active Retired Force. Congratulations, good luck y gracias por leer / cfs
2pedals

Post by 2pedals »

Estimated Jan 2019. It's hard to believe that the roll call class of 2019 is now active and I am even posting here. I am a bit anxious.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

2pedals wrote: Estimated Jan 2019. It's hard to believe that the roll call class of 2019 is now active and I am even posting here. I am a bit anxious.
Yes, the Roll Call Class of 2019 is now active and we'll include you on the list, although we don't mean to rush you and please don't be anxious :wink: Just keep stuffing as much as you can into those retirement accounts, get all your retirement paperwork in line and before you know it, 2019 will be here and you'll be off on your new adventure :beer

2pedals - speaking of pedaling, have you read Boglehead Raybo's recent bicycling post about his new bicycle adventure? He bicycles all over everywhere, even rode his bicycle to the Bogleheads Conference one year, folded it up and brought it into the hotel, then regaled everyone at the wine and cheese get-together with his bicycle adventures (his investments are on auto-pedal) :D
2pedals

Post by 2pedals »

Thank you Miriam2

Reaching retirement is an big deal to me, in 2019 I am planing to move from anxiety to zen.

Thank you for the link. Raybo is a very interesting character. I do commute to work several days on my bike. I plan on spending lots of time using my bike, walking, hiking and exercising in retirement.
Luv2Perform

Post by Luv2Perform »

Plan to retire in June 2019. My wife retired in June last year and is loving it.
TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun »

montanagirl wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:58 pm April 2018, when my tax prep job ended.

I finally pulled the trigger on my old age SS and will have 42 months' delay credits when it starts in Sept.

So at 69 it's not exactly FIRE for me but it's pretty good considering how things looked for me 25 years ago.

Yay me. :sharebeer:
Good timing. Many tax preparers may be looking for work next April.

TravelforFun
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

2pedals wrote: Reaching retirement is an big deal to me, in 2019 I am planing to move from anxiety to zen.
Nice plan!
2pedals wrote:Thank you for the link. Raybo is a very interesting character. I do commute to work several days on my bike. I plan on spending lots of time using my bike, walking, hiking and exercising in retirement.
Oooh Raybo, an "interesting character"?? Just a typical Boglehead :D While his investments are on auto-pilot, he gives awesome tours of Alcatraz, bicycles throughout the world, takes glorious photographs which he shares with us, and if we have a question, he puts his heart into his answer 8-)
Miriam2 wrote:
Raybo wrote:
Miriam2 wrote: My favorite Raybo photograph is from his bicycle trip from Washington DC to the Bogleheads Conference in Philadelphia in 2015. He photographed a spooky Halloween arrangement near a rural or suburban outdoor mailbox and driveway, complete with pumpkins, skeletons, bats, black cats and ghosts - and the warning sign "You're next." 8-)
Is this the photo?

YES!! I love it!

Of course, my memory would be seriously challenged in a court of law on the finer points :annoyed but that's the photo!

The wonderful side to this photo is not just the fun and delight the family had in making this Halloween decoration for others to enjoy, it is also that Raybo found the decoration delightful, took the time to get off his noble bicycle and photograph it, used his time and energy to create a beautiful photograph, then gave his time putting it in a book or web site to share with others, then posted it on the Bogleheads 2 years ago - then when this pic came up in discussion, researched his photo files and found the photo and posted it again. :arrow: Raybo - above and beyond - thank you so much! :D
:D
cfs

Post by cfs »

Luv2Perform wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:54 pm . . . Plan to retire in June 2019 . . .
Member of the class of 2019! Congratulations. Good luck y gracias por leer / cfs
jamacq

Post by jamacq »

Planning for ~June 2019 after 23 years in the Navy and another 18 in the defense contracting world. Ready for more adventure.
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

TheTimeLord wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:01 pm ...Honestly, I think I would prefer a 3-4 day work week to being a full time stay at home spouse.
By calling yourself a SAH spouse in the near future, rather than a retiree, you seem to be implying that your spouse will continue to be employed through 2019.
Is that correct?
That's not a bad deal but it does put limits on travel durations until both spouses cut loose...
Attempted new signature...
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

The Wizard wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 5:29 am
TheTimeLord wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:01 pm ...Honestly, I think I would prefer a 3-4 day work week to being a full time stay at home spouse.
By calling yourself a SAH spouse in the near future, rather than a retiree, you seem to be implying that your spouse will continue to be employed through 2019.
Is that correct?
That's not a bad deal but it does put limits on travel durations until both spouses cut loose...
That is correct, DW wants to continue to work for a few more years and knowing her I understand why. On the plus side we won't have to dip into our savings to cover expenses as long as she works and I will be free to take a several buddies trips a year if I wish without feeling like I left her at home.
spearo

Post by spearo »

August 2019 for me! :sharebeer
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

jamacq wrote: Planning for ~June 2019 after 23 years in the Navy and another 18 in the defense contracting world. Ready for more adventure.
jamacq - Welcome to this Great Class, we'll add you to the list :happy

You will probably take the award as the Most Senior Boglehead of the class, since you joined the Boglehead.org forum on March 4, 2007, barely 3 weeks after it began on February 19, 2007 :D That's 11 years ago - your retirement portfolio must be awesome :beer

Wait a minute - you're retiring from "the Navy" - and the "defense contracting world" - and you're "ready for more adventure"? :shock: How about trying this first?

ClaycordJCA

Post by ClaycordJCA »

Assuming that Cal COBRA permits an employee who retires with at least 5 yrs of service and age 60 or older to continue group health insurance at his/her expense until age 65, as I believe is the case, you can put me down for 2019 - exact date TBD. I turn 60 in March and am beginning to plan for my transition to retirement. Can’t wait to submit that last time sheet and never having to worry about a billable hour again.
jamacq

Post by jamacq »

Miriam2 wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 9:00 pm
jamacq wrote: Planning for ~June 2019 after 23 years in the Navy and another 18 in the defense contracting world. Ready for more adventure.
jamacq - Welcome to this Great Class, we'll add you to the list :happy

You will probably take the award as the Most Senior Boglehead of the class, since you joined the Boglehead.org forum on March 4, 2007, barely 3 weeks after it began on February 19, 2007 :D That's 11 years ago - your retirement portfolio must be awesome :beer

Wait a minute - you're retiring from "the Navy" - and the "defense contracting world" - and you're "ready for more adventure"? :shock: How about trying this first?

Hard to believe I joined 11 years ago. I do recall that I had found Bogleheads while it was still at Morningstar and moved over to this forum as it was starting. I have learned so much from reading posts here and enjoyed attending two of the annual conferences.

As far as future adventure, I am so looking forward to having more time to travel the world with my wife. I'm blessed to be married to my best friend and can't think of anything better than spending more time together. :D

Jeff
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

jamacq wrote: As far as future adventure, I am so looking forward to having more time to travel the world with my wife. I'm blessed to be married to my best friend and can't think of anything better than spending more time together. :D
Delightful! :D
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

spearo wrote: August 2019 for me! :sharebeer
Congratulations on pulling the plug, Spearo! You have over a year to get your Retirement Act together and that To-Do List started :D
Keep us posted on your date and plans.
dskelcy

Post by dskelcy »

I will retire on Feb 1, 2019 and waiting for this date has been extremely hard. The first 4 months of this year (2018) have dragged along as slow as a bee stuck in molasses. I am a single woman who will be 62 when I retire with a pension and a 401k account that will reach the "magic" number by the time I walk out. I have so much planned to do in retirement that I feel like a kid who can hardly wait to get to Disneyworld! I keep wondering if others have an much difficulty waiting for the day as I do.
cfs

Post by cfs »

dskelcy wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 11:27 am . . . I will retire on Feb 1, 2019 and waiting for this date has been extremely hard . . .
Miss Dskelcy, welcome aboard, your first post! Good to see that your first post was to announce your retirement. Yes, waiting for the day is a hard thing to do, but at the end of the day the moment will arrive and you will leave the workforce for the Active Retired Force. Good luck with your planning and execution, you are going to LOVE retirement. Gracias por leer ~cfs~
TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun »

For those who are retiring soon, do you want: 1) a big retirement party, 2) a lunch with some close colleagues, or 3) to just ride off quietly into the sunset? Just curious. I think I'll do #3.

TravelforFun
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

TravelforFun wrote: For those who are retiring soon, do you want: 1) a big retirement party, 2) a lunch with some close colleagues, or 3) to just ride off quietly into the sunset? Just curious. I think I'll do #3.
TravelforFun
I opted for #1 and #2, a BIG retirement party with ALL colleagues and LOTS of food - before I did #3, because retiring was not easy emotionally :(
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

TravelforFun wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 9:31 pm For those who are retiring soon, do you want: 1) a big retirement party, 2) a lunch with some close colleagues, or 3) to just ride off quietly into the sunset? Just curious. I think I'll do #3.

TravelforFun
1) The big party I want is one with friends to one of my bucket list locations.
2) Lunch with my colleagues is always great so just need to figure out which trendy burger place to go.
3) I expect weeping and gnashing of teeth when I retire not quiet.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

TheTimeLord wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 8:14 am
The Wizard wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 5:29 am
Is that correct?
That is correct, DW wants to continue to work for a few more years and knowing her I understand why. On the plus side we won't have to dip into our savings to cover expenses as long as she works and I will be free to take a several buddies trips a year if I wish without feeling like I left her at home.
Did some calculations this morning and we are now at 28.2x of projected expenses (excluding home equity). Projected expenses used in these calculations have been increased by 50% from projected expenses used when I first considered retiring in 2013. My One More Years have been very, very good to me thanks to the market rally, ability to save a significant portion of our income and the reduction in the number of retirement years that would have no contribution from SS or pension.

Firecalc
For our purposes, failure means the portfolio was depleted before the end of the 50 years. FIRECalc found that 0 cycles failed, for a success rate of 100.0%.
Last edited by TheTimeLord on Sat May 19, 2018 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dskelcy

Post by dskelcy »

TravelforFun wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 9:31 pm For those who are retiring soon, do you want: 1) a big retirement party, 2) a lunch with some close colleagues, or 3) to just ride off quietly into the sunset? Just curious. I think I'll do #3.

TravelforFun
I believe that you should celebrate with colleagues. If your company pays for the luncheon or party, you should share the "free lunch" with your co-workers because they are still "stuck" working and a free lunch would be greatly appreciated by them. Everyone benefits: you benefit from good wishes sending you off and they benefit with time out of the office and a free lunch. Be kind to those left behind!
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

ClaycordJCA wrote: Assuming that Cal COBRA permits an employee who retires with at least 5 yrs of service and age 60 or older to continue group health insurance at his/her expense until age 65, as I believe is the case, you can put me down for 2019 - exact date TBD. I turn 60 in March and am beginning to plan for my transition to retirement. Can’t wait to submit that last time sheet and never having to worry about a billable hour again.
Congratulations ClaycordJCA and welcome to the class! It's exciting to think about that Last Time Sheet \\\\ //// (happy dance :D ) and oh boy, will it be a great weight off your shoulders not to worry about billable hours again.

Here's a recent thread about COBRA viewtopic.php?f=11&t=248949

Have fun transitioning into retirement and let us know THE DATE :beer
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

dskelcy wrote: I will retire on Feb 1, 2019 and waiting for this date has been extremely hard. The first 4 months of this year (2018) have dragged along as slow as a bee stuck in molasses. I am a single woman who will be 62 when I retire with a pension and a 401k account that will reach the "magic" number by the time I walk out. I have so much planned to do in retirement that I feel like a kid who can hardly wait to get to Disneyworld! I keep wondering if others have an much difficulty waiting for the day as I do.
Welcome to the class! To make the time pass easier, just wear these to work every day until you retire next February :D

Canoesmith

Post by Canoesmith »

I think I will, probably, maybe retire January 2019. One more year would be great financially, but then I said that for the past two years so.... I need to get off of the one more year wagon.

1/5/19!!
To abstain from the enjoyment, which is in our power, or to seek distant rather than immediate results, are among the most painful exertions of the human will. | N. W. Senior, 1836
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

Canoesmith wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 1:09 am I think I will, probably, maybe retire January 2019. One more year would be great financially, but then I said that for the past two years so.... I need to get off of the one more year wagon.

1/5/19!!
Assuming you already have enough to retire perhaps you should try not trying to save every penny but take some of your paycheck and go on a great vacation or buy something you have really been wanting. That might help you figure if you are wanting to retire because you want the additional free time or are just exhausted from the constant pressure to save and skimp for retirement. If you already have enough to retire today then each month you pay your monthly expenses out of a paycheck instead of your portfolio is like saving even if you don't add a dime to your savings because it is one less month you portfolio will need to fund. I think sometimes people don't like their job because they don't feel their paycheck is getting them anything because they are so focused on saving. Whereas they know they will spend what they saved in retirement so it seems more rewarding. Now that you are financially independent you can consider letting yourself enjoy a little more of the fruits of your labor today instead of stashing it all away for tomorrow. You might decide to work a little longer or maybe it will confirm your feeling it is time to retire.

The thing driving me to consider retirement is the feeling I need to get on with doing some of the things I want to do because they will be come physically too difficult with age. So if I pull the trigger as planned it will be because I won't have found a way to balance pursuing those ambitions with work. If I end up not retiring then it will because I have managed to strike a balance or I am too terrified of not having my paycheck come in every month.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Canoesmith wrote: I think I will, probably, maybe retire January 2019. One more year would be great financially, but then I said that for the past two years so.... I need to get off of the one more year wagon.
1/5/19!!
Ok Canoesmith, we'll pencil you in - and if you change your mind, let us know and we'll re-boot 8-)

Here are forum member David Jay's Retirement Literacy Tutorial threads, might give you some ideas about assessing the OMY wheel -

Retirement Plan Review Please
Two Years to Retirement-Please Review and comment (1 Year update)
Roth conversions after start of SS benefits for low expense couples92018 version)

This thread Retirement - Ten Key Years {Retirement Red Zone}+Summary is by forum member Peter Foley, who wrote chapter 1, "The Retirement Planning Process," in the Bogleheads' Guide to Retirement Planning.

This thread How Old Habits Can Sabotage Retirement is by forum member mlebuf (Michael LeBoeuf) who wrote The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing along with Taylor and Mel.

And here's a sobering thought from forum member 1TheGame -
1TheGame wrote: viewtopic.php?t=247589#p3890399
I retired about 2 months ago (at age 59), due in no small part to what I have learned here over the years. I transitioned to part time a few years ago and gradually ramped down until I was half time for the year prior to retiring. Having more time to do things I want to do is fantastic. This ranges from "lazy" activities such as getting up in the morning whenever I want and having a slow-paced breakfast, to having plenty of time for the vigorous outdoor activities I enjoy. No surprises or adjustments; I'm sure the slow ramp from full time to retired helped with that.

My only general recommendation for others is to not fall prey to the OMY syndrome; never take for granted that you will continue to enjoy good health (based on what I have seen happen to others). In other words, be conscious that you may run out of health/time before you run out of money. Once I did a cash flow analysis that projected my withdrawal ratio to age 70 (factoring in SS for my spouse and I, and various tax benefits), it was rather obvious that I no longer needed to work.
:idea: :idea:
Spindrift

Post by Spindrift »

I'm a new poster but a long time lurker. I originally tentatively planned to pull the plug in April/May 2018 but I have some fun work trips planned in the back half of this year, plus bonus, plus additional vesting, etc... So OMY has my firm date around early Feb 2019. I've got to hang around for the bonus. Very strange as I try to mentally prepare myself for taking the plunge. I actually really like my job but after many years in the same field I'm pretty burned out. I'm 56 and I'm just tired of spending my days in an office. Plus, I've run the numbers a zillion times and I think I'm good. Still it is very rattling to think about no more paychecks. Thus I'm accumulating cash to buffer any sequence of return surprises which is also unsettling as I've been 95% equities my entire investing career. I guess I'll jump on the class of 2019 thread when it opens up.

Posted this yesterday in the 2018 Roll Call. Put me down for Feb 19.
bluelight

Post by bluelight »

I would love to be a part of the class of 2018, and if our new management continues on their current path, that may happen. But in the meantime add me to 2019 class, date undecided but most likely early spring.

I'll be 62 at this year, my husband is 72 and has been retired for many years. We have more than enough to support our current lifestyle and vacations. I have tracked our expenses for the last 3 years. Firecalc says we are good.

What keeps me working? We purchased a house in 2016 that had been neglected and had some known, and some well hidden issues. But it hit our wants, needs and location requirements. The last of the fix list will be completed in 2019. I know houses are never done, but at that point we will be on maintenance instead of major repair.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Spindrift wrote: I'm a new poster but a long time lurker. I originally tentatively planned to pull the plug in April/May 2018 but I have some fun work trips planned in the back half of this year, plus bonus, plus additional vesting, etc... So OMY has my firm date around early Feb 2019.
Hi Spindrift! Welcome to the Class - you're on the list :happy
I've got to hang around for the bonus. Very strange as I try to mentally prepare myself for taking the plunge. I actually really like my job but after many years in the same field I'm pretty burned out. I'm 56 and I'm just tired of spending my days in an office. Plus, I've run the numbers a zillion times and I think I'm good. Still it is very rattling to think about no more paychecks. Thus I'm accumulating cash to buffer any sequence of return surprises which is also unsettling as I've been 95% equities my entire investing career.
"Hang around for the bonus" - we hear you, wouldn't leave any bonus on the table. But the burn out . . .

Here is what Jonathan Clements said:

"After four decades at the beck and call of others, retirement is our chance to take up activities that we're passionate about and consider important. These activities may bring a newfound sense of purpose to our final decades."
mall0c

Post by mall0c »

I'll hit my number in Aug 2019, but I might join the OMY club anyway, so... maybe? Is maybe enough to get me on the list? Depends on all the usual stuff - market conditions, working conditions, money on the table, general levels of bravery and cowardice, etc. I'll be 42.
FIRE'd. Mid-40s.
Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl »

[b]I keep wondering if others have an much difficulty waiting for the day as I do.[/b]

dskelcey, in a word: yes!

It threatens to consume me, lol. I don't recall feeling so much anticipation since I was a young child waiting for Christmas.

I am not kidding myself that life will suddenly become magical and perfect - only that when that day comes, from that point on, every hour
of my life belongs to ME !! If that is not the definition of freedom, I am not sure what is.

Best to you!
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.
3504PIR

Post by 3504PIR »

Last day at my job beginning at the end of May to mid June timeframe. I'll officially be off the books by the end of August. Very much looking forward to "the day" and will be doing #3, just fading away. I work at a remote location from my headquarters so fading away won't be that tough.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

bluelight wrote: I would love to be a part of the class of 2018, and if our new management continues on their current path, that may happen. But in the meantime add me to 2019 class, date undecided but most likely early spring.
We added you to our fabulous 2019 Retirement Roll Call :happy
What keeps me working? We purchased a house in 2016 that had been neglected and had some known, and some well hidden issues. But it hit our wants, needs and location requirements. The last of the fix list will be completed in 2019. I know houses are never done, but at that point we will be on maintenance instead of major repair.
Ohhh, we all feel for you bluelight, buying a house "that had been neglected" two years before retirement :shock: Is this what the "Joys of Home Ownership" look like?? :wink: