Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2019!

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
retire2022

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2019!

Post by retire2022 »

All, a couple of weeks ago, I am throwing in the towel and expect to retire at the end of this year.

32 years working state and city government, and high traditional 457b 1.0 million, net worth 2.1 million, Roth IRA account 420K, No kids, no spouse, expenses are approx 25K.

I've calculated that my RMD will be higher at 70.5 than while working. Social Security won't be tapped until 70, because payout will be 3100 vs 1799 at 62. My medical plan will be covered from sick time unspent.

I need to pad my checking account and apply for construction loan before I put in my retirement papers for my vacation home.

Wish me luck
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

retire2022 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:53 pm ...I've calculated that my RMD will be higher at 70.5 than while working...
Can you clarify what this means, please?
Attempted new signature...
TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun »

retire2022 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:53 pm All, a couple of weeks ago, I am throwing in the towel and expect to retire at the end of this year.

32 years working state and city government, and high traditional 457b 1.0 million, net worth 2.1 million, Roth IRA account 420K, No kids, no spouse, expenses are approx 25K.

I've calculated that my RMD will be higher at 70.5 than while working. Social Security won't be tapped until 70, because payout will be 3100 vs 1799 at 62. My medical plan will be covered from sick time unspent.

I need to pad my checking account and apply for construction loan before I put in my retirement papers for my vacation home.

Wish me luck
$2.1 million net worth and $25K annual expenses? Why're you still working?

TravelforFun
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

TravelforFun wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:02 pm

TravelforFun
Because I am retirement rich and cash poor, I only make about 95K a year, and have zero cash in my checking account, no 6 months emergency fund due to spent cash on upstate property, also Net worth does not mean liquid cash. Government workers typically have lower salaries, than private sectors, this is to give relief to taxpayer.
kacang

Post by kacang »

bluelight wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:09 pm I'm already on the 2019 Roll Call, with an unknown date (and age?) . Please change the date to March 29. The age is 62.

This month is going to take forever to get through, but I'm looking forward to a beautiful spring.
I know! Mine will be a week after you, counting down now
jimmyq

Post by jimmyq »

retire2022 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:32 pm

TravelforFun
Because I am retirement rich and cash poor, I only make about 95K a year, and have zero cash in my checking account, no 6 months emergency fund due to spent cash on upstate property, also Net worth does not mean liquid cash. Government workers typically have lower salaries, than private sectors, this is to give relief to taxpayer.
Don't sell yourself short. The median US income is a bit under 64K (see link below), so your current salary is nothing to sneeze at, and is much higher than most. But either way, good luck in retirement!
http://sentierresearch.com/pressrelease ... _21_19.pdf
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

jimmyq wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:49 pm retire2022
Don't sell yourself short. The median US income is a bit under 64K (see link below), so your current salary is nothing to sneeze at, and is much higher than most. But either way, good luck in retirement!
http://sentierresearch.com/pressrelease ... _21_19.pdf
[/quote]

Jimmy I'm not selling myself short, don't forget it is Manhattan NYC, 95K means lower middle class. :P
Zonian59

Post by Zonian59 »

Greetings all:

2019 is going to be a milestone year for me. I turn 60 this year and I've decided to formally declare my retirement on June or July 2019 by commencing my megacorp pension. (Will wait on Social Security until FRA at 66 year/10 month).

I actually stopped working in 2016 due to layoff after working almost 20 years with the megacorp (fortunately I'm fully vested) and 30 years in the aerospace industry. During that fateful year, I found to my disappointment, little job opportunities in the (same) industry for someone who is "male, pale and stale" and at the same time noticed my mother's dementia getting worse. Looked at my overall financial situation and found that I had (and still have) enough assets to adequately cover the 25x annual expenses rule of thumb and "can retire".

So I made the decision to stop working and seeking employment to take care of my mother until the end.

I paid off the mortgage last year and now own my house outright. Have no other debts. Currently in the process of consolidating accounts, making some changes to my portfolio in the Boglehead manner, and help preparing my mother (who is now 93) to "cross that final bridge". Long term future TBD as I figure out how to deal with prospects of being an "elder orphan" and adjusting to it.

The last few years hasn't been easy, but that's how the cards were dealt and I'm doing my best to deal with it. The Boglehead Community has been a great help. My thanks and appreciation to all your collective wisdom and advice.
mlcolorado

Post by mlcolorado »

My company announced a third (in 6 years) VSP (Voluntary Separation Program) effective April 5, 2019. I have applied and been accepted. Have to have worked 10 or more years, and that plus your age must be greater than 65. I have 15 years, and I am already 65, so I qualify, big time.

I will stop working on April 5th, and get a payout that is equivalent to working until the end of October. I was planning to stop working at the end of 2019, so this is a wonderful opportunity to stop early, and get paid almost the same.

We just finished our 2019 Income Budget Calculation, and my spouse will retire on October 1, 2019. I am 65, she is 68. She will begin her Social Security on April 1, 2019, I will reach FRA on August 1, 2019, and begin to take my spousal benefits and let my Social Security ride until 70. Yes, we are some of the last of those grandfathered in able to still do this.

House is paid off, no other debts, but plans to remodel the beat up, 23+ year old, previously rental single family house that we bought 18 months ago and sold our half of a duplex to fund. Took some capital gains in 2017 to buy with cash. I am doing much of the repair/remodel work, and will now have time to do it faster. This summer we will get a new roof (hired out) and I will revamp the back deck (all me). Already had the foundation fixed (don't ask), upgraded the electrical service to 200 amp, finished the radon mitigation and put in a new furnace last summer. Life is good and about to get better.

Going to be fun. We live in a very High Cost of Living area in the mountains of Colorado, near the Vail & Beaver Creek ski areas. We are NOT going to miss the big powder days next season.

Thank you all for helping us get away from our "Financial Advisor" and into low cost, Vanguard Index funds. It has really made a difference. We have 2.7 million in retirement split between Roll Over IRA's, Roth IRA's and non-tax deferred savings. Over all we are at 60% stocks, 35% bonds and 5% cash. Our Portfolio's average investment costs are down to 0.09%. Hard to beat that. We get to "Keep" the growth now. Only wish we had figured that out 10 years earlier. We might have been in the class of 2016.
Oakwood42

Post by Oakwood42 »

infotrader wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:29 pm Annual retirement roll call always gives me inspiration and hope.
+1
peetsperk

Post by peetsperk »

Gave my boss notice today of my pending September retirement. He was the first person other than my wife and adult children to know. It felt like a tremendous weight was lifted off my shoulders. What a nice way to start a new week. :happy
pennywise

Post by pennywise »

I haven't told anyone at work officially, but please add me to the class with a planned retirement date of September 1, 2019. Might get out early, but I won't be there on September 2 for sure!

Husband retired January 1 and seeing him happy, busy and living his best life inspired me AKA has me green with retirement jealousy :D .

Now in the process of decluttering home of 30 years and hope to have the For Sale sign up by April 1st. We'll be relocating to live full time in our vacation paradise house purchased 2 years ago.

Have gotten thumbs-up analyses from our TIAA-CREF advisor and our trusted accountant and looks like between double pensions, social security for him now and me later and some rental income we will be just fine covering the basics with a little left over to buy gas for the dive boat and nice wine for the sunset happy hours.

Retirement here we come.
L8rboys

Post by L8rboys »

Today, I informed HR at Megacorp that my last day will be May 31. Having recently turned 60, I meet the minimum requirements for the pension (and significantly subsidized health insurance). Over the last three years, the retirement calculators have consistently supported this timing; therefore, we decided that life is too short for me to continue to work the crazy hours.

DH will continue to work part-time for now but will have flexibility for time off.

I plan to spend time with my 90 plus year old mother, the grandkids, and of course, DH; become more consistent with my workouts; sort through all of the closets and drawers that I have been ignoring, and travel (we have a list!).

Once I have detoxed for a few months, I will determine a volunteer role that best fits my abilities and interests.

“I find I’m so excited, I can barely sit still or hold a thought in my head. I think it’s the excitement only a free man can feel, a free man at the start of a long journey whose conclusion is uncertain.”
“Red” from Shawshank Redemption

L8rboys
K72

Post by K72 »

Told my boss last August that I was going to retire before July this year. We've talked informally all along and mutually zeroed in on sometime in May. This week he asked me for an email with a specific date so he could start the hiring process for my replacement. It felt awfully strange to send the email (I picked May 17), but I did it. Feels good actually!

Immediate plans are to finish a Master's degree I've been working on for the past two years (graduation date June 2020) and begin to tackle long overdue household projects. I'll likely do some volunteer tutoring starting this fall at our local high school and work on expanding my bucket list.
All we want are the facts...
saddle_tramp

Post by saddle_tramp »

Official retirement date: May 16. WooHoo :sharebeer
dknightd

Post by dknightd »

I turned in my paper work today. First day of retirement 9/1/19. Last day of work 5/31/19
Retired 2019. So far, so good. I want to wake up every morning. But I want to die in my sleep. Just another conundrum. I think the solution might be afternoon naps ;)
TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun »

dknightd wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:07 pm I turned in my paper work today. First day of retirement 9/1/19. Last day of work 5/31/19
Congratulations on your pending retirement and the three months of paid leave.

TravelforFun
Spindrift

Post by Spindrift »

It is done! Gave notice yesterday. I finally hopped off of the One More Week syndrome that had me trapped in a doom loop. Last day set for Mid May. What a relief I feel!!
David Jay

Post by David Jay »

Something I put together for my Virtual Bogleheads presentation - I collated the retirement ages from the 2017 and 2018 Roll Call threads. This isn't statistically valid (self-selection bias) but the numbers were interesting to me:
BTW- the full presentation isn't available yet at the Virtual Bogleheads Blog but I expect them to post it at some point.
It's not an engineering problem - Hersh Shefrin | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius
OregonDucksFan

Post by OregonDucksFan »

First date of retirement. June 1 2019.

My boss said “how could you”?

I said “disciplined saving and investing”
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

OregonDucksFan wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:43 pm First date of retirement. June 1 2019.

That's an odd exchange, how old are you? Why would your boss be shocked?
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
OregonDucksFan

Post by OregonDucksFan »

TheTimeLord wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:47 pm
OregonDucksFan wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:43 pm First date of retirement. June 1 2019.

That's an odd exchange, how old are you?
I am 49 years young. Boss +/- 5 years in age
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

OregonDucksFan wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:49 pm
TheTimeLord wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:47 pm

That's an odd exchange, how old are you?
I am 49 years young. Boss +/- 5 years in age
I am constantly surprised by the interactions people have when they tell people they are leaving their job.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
lakinui

Post by lakinui »

July 7, 2019 for me! I worked my last full week two weeks ago. This week will be my last 4 day workweek, then the remaining weeks will be 3 day workweeks. I have a total of 31 actual work days left between now and my last day.
dknightd

Post by dknightd »

6 more weeks. Not that I'm counting ;)
Retired 2019. So far, so good. I want to wake up every morning. But I want to die in my sleep. Just another conundrum. I think the solution might be afternoon naps ;)
TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun »

The creator of this topic, Miriam2, usually responds to each comment but we have not heard from her for a while. Hope she's doing well.

TravelforFun
Last edited by TravelforFun on Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Sorry to have left everyone on the Roll Call alone in the wilderness :confused

I was on a retirement adventure :mrgreen:

I had a total hip replacement 8-)

I love surgery, I love doctors :D
Had extreme arthritis hip pain for a year -
Into the hospital I go.
Great nurses - kind, caring, and boy can they wiz through a perfect I.V.
Fabulous anesthesiologist - and good looking too - "Hi Doc, remember, I don't want to know from pain."
Extraordinary surgeon - his mother must be so proud - "Hi Doc, remember, use plenty of super glue on that new hip."
Into the operating room - out in an hour.
Take charge recovery room nurse - "Hi, remember, I don't want to know from pain."
My daughter is appalled - I ask for her phone to check if Mel opened Bogleheads Conference registration :mrgreen:
Recovery done - off to my room - and they make me get up and walk 10 steps to my bed :shock:
Can you believe it??
Less than 5 hours and I'm up and walking to my bed on my new hip :sharebeer

That's my latest retirement adventure :D
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

Miriam2 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:37 pm Sorry to have left everyone on the Roll Call alone in the wilderness :confused

Into the hospital I go.
Fabulous anesthesiologist - and good looking too - "Hi Doc, remember, I don't want to know from pain."
Extraordinary surgeon - his mother must be so proud - "Hi Doc, remember, use plenty of super glue on that new hip."
Take charge recovery room nurse - "Hi, remember, I don't want to know from pain."
My daughter is appalled - I ask for her phone to check if Mel opened Bogleheads Conference registration :mrgreen:
Recovery done - off to my room - and they make me get up and walk 10 steps to my bed :shock:
Can you believe it??

That is an adventure that I hope to avoid. But with my best wishes to you.
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

retire2022 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:32 pm

TravelforFun
So you have a pension on top of your stated assets and social security?
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

peppers wrote: I think the time has come. My wife has let it be known to her employer that September 2019 is the grand finale.

Now the ball is in my court...46 years with megacorp.....hmmmmm......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ufGxqxeBJE
So peppers - what did you decide??

Holy cow - 46 years with megacorp, that's quite a work adventure. And what with those squirrels digging up your beloved basil plants on the weekends, you must be seriously in need of some retirement rest and recuperation :D
peppers

Post by peppers »

Miriam2 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:39 pm
peppers wrote: I think the time has come. My wife has let it be known to her employer that September 2019 is the grand finale.

Now the ball is in my court...46 years with megacorp.....hmmmmm......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ufGxqxeBJE
So peppers - what did you decide??

Holy cow - 46 years with megacorp, that's quite a work adventure. And what with those squirrels digging up your beloved basil plants on the weekends, you must be seriously in need of some retirement rest and recuperation :D
I've let it be known that the end of June will be my "Independence Day"....unless a buyout offer comes my way, but I'm not holding my breath.

Regarding my furry friends, I know they are getting antsy waiting for planting day but ol' Mother Nature has not been kind. We had 7 inches of snow 10 days ago. Sorry boys, you just have to wait. :(
"..the cavalry ain't comin' kid, you're on your own..."
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Rus In Urbe wrote: I just came on this thread and all the joy and enthusiasm and glee shared among the fellow Bogleheads gave me such a giggle......it is all so wonderfully BH-ish. Add me to the list!

Friday Dec 13, 2019 (Fri 13ths have always been lucky days for me!) Very large party in the offing.

My plans are: Writing, Gardening, Traveling.
Or, since I already do these three things just more of same.
Congratulations to everyone else taking this big life step! :sharebeer :beer :beer 8-) 8-) 8-)

We share your excitement, Rus In Urbe, and we included you in this fantabulous class :D Let us know when your large party is, along with directions and proper dress attire - we'll all be there - and we promise not to embarrass you too much 8-)
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

Miriam2 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:37 pm My daughter is appalled - I ask for her phone to check if Mel opened Bogleheads Conference registration :mrgreen:
Can you believe it??
:sharebeer

Congratulations on the new parts, and here's wishing for a speedy recovery (at least by October :wink: ).
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

oldcomputerguy wrote: Congratulations on the new parts, and here's wishing for a speedy recovery (at least by October :wink: ).
Thank you for the well-wishes, all systems are on Go :D

BTW - congratulations on your new retirement job - do you get weekends and holidays off?? :mrgreen:
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

bluelight wrote: I'm already on the 2019 Roll Call, with an unknown date (and age?) . Please change the date to March 29. The age is 62.
This month is going to take forever to get through, but I'm looking forward to a beautiful spring.
Thank you for the update Bluelight - we updated the roster and by now, you are a month into retirement land :D

So, how is the updating coming along on the house you purchased?? You know, the retirement house that "had been neglected and had some known, and some well hidden issues" :mrgreen: {break for applause from your BH friends who admire your energy}
tomwood

Post by tomwood »

Miriam2 wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:53 pm
tomwood wrote: For one reason or another this list offered a slight chill down my spine with excitement. I admire greatly what this list represents and though I don’t know any of you as I’ve just started my Bogle journey I wish you good luck and congratulations!
Stay excited Tomwood! Before you know it, you will be closer and closer to retirement, but don't forget to live a great life along the way :happy

Remind me and I'll put you on the 2048 Retirement Roll Call :wink:
I look forward to it
bluelight

Post by bluelight »

Miriam2 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:25 pm
bluelight wrote: I'm already on the 2019 Roll Call, with an unknown date (and age?) . Please change the date to March 29. The age is 62.
Thank you for the update Bluelight - we updated the roster and by now, you are a month into retirement land :D

So, how is the updating coming along on the house you purchased?? You know, the retirement house that "had been neglected and had some known, and some well hidden issues" :mrgreen: {break for applause from your BH friends who admire your energy}
One month into retirement, I'm busier than ever. A week after my work retirement, my daughter had a bad sprain to her ankle so I am now "working" 5-6 days a week at her house helping to care for my grandchildren - twin 6 months old and a 3 year old. Rewarding but tiring. Another month until she can walk again, then I will start the retirement I have been waiting for.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

retire2022 wrote: All, a couple of weeks ago, I am throwing in the towel and expect to retire at the end of this year.

32 years working state and city government, and high traditional 457b 1.0 million, net worth 2.1 million, Roth IRA account 420K, No kids, no spouse, expenses are approx 25K. . . . I need to pad my checking account and apply for construction loan before I put in my retirement papers for my vacation home.

Wish me luck
Ok Retire2022! We're wishing you luck getting all your ducks in line for the final end-of-the-year Retirement! Pad that checking account with every penny :moneybag and get those construction loan papers in for your vacation home! What an exciting way to begin retirement :D

Welcome to this Retirement Roll Call and let us know how that new house turns out.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Zonian59 wrote: 2019 is going to be a milestone year for me. I turn 60 this year and I've decided to formally declare my retirement on June or July 2019 by commencing my megacorp pension. (Will wait on Social Security until FRA at 66 year/10 month).

I actually stopped working in 2016 due to layoff after working almost 20 years with the megacorp (fortunately I'm fully vested) and 30 years in the aerospace industry. During that fateful year, I found to my disappointment, little job opportunities in the (same) industry for someone who is "male, pale and stale" and at the same time noticed my mother's dementia getting worse. Looked at my overall financial situation and found that I had (and still have) enough assets to adequately cover the 25x annual expenses rule of thumb and "can retire".

So I made the decision to stop working and seeking employment to take care of my mother until the end.

I paid off the mortgage last year and now own my house outright. Have no other debts. Currently in the process of consolidating accounts, making some changes to my portfolio in the Boglehead manner, and help preparing my mother (who is now 93) to "cross that final bridge". Long term future TBD as I figure out how to deal with prospects of being an "elder orphan" and adjusting to it.

The last few years hasn't been easy, but that's how the cards were dealt and I'm doing my best to deal with it. The Boglehead Community has been a great help. My thanks and appreciation to all your collective wisdom and advice.
Hi Zonian59 - welcome to the Retirement Class of 2019 :happy We will call you a June/July graduate and please provide any corrections.

Very touching post about your employment layoff and your mother's health deteriorating. I sincerely admire your "The last few years haven't been easy, but that's how the cards were dealt and I'm doing my best to deal with it." I'm sure it has helped to have your hard earned money well invested Boglehead-style and on some type of auto-pilot (as an aerospace engineer, you probably enjoy that 8-)

I posted an earlier post on the Roll Call for another Boglehead who wrote a similar personal post about his wife's dementia, that when times get tough, this incredible video of Art Garfunkle singing "Bridge Over Troubled Water" at the 1981 Concert in Central Park is my go-to emotional support, soulful and uplifting, divine . . .

"When you're weary,
Feeling small
When tears are in your eyes . . . "

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrcwRt6J32o

We hope this next chapter of your life "sails on by" and gives you great pleasure :happy
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

mlcolorado wrote: . . . I will stop working on April 5th, and get a payout that is equivalent to working until the end of October. I was planning to stop working at the end of 2019, so this is a wonderful opportunity to stop early, and get paid almost the same. . . .
Welcome mlcolorado! You're on this Most Prestigious Retirement Roll Call 8-)
mlcolorado wrote:House is paid off, no other debts, but plans to remodel the beat up, 23+ year old, previously rental single family house that we bought 18 months ago and sold our half of a duplex to fund. Took some capital gains in 2017 to buy with cash. I am doing much of the repair/remodel work, and will now have time to do it faster. This summer we will get a new roof (hired out) and I will revamp the back deck (all me). Already had the foundation fixed (don't ask), upgraded the electrical service to 200 amp, finished the radon mitigation and put in a new furnace last summer. Life is good and about to get better.
We're very impressed with your remodeling energy! But you know, we're a curious folk - what did you do, buy a house perched on the edge of a Colorado mountain without a foundation?? :mrgreen:
mlcolorado wrote:Going to be fun. We live in a very High Cost of Living area in the mountains of Colorado, near the Vail & Beaver Creek ski areas. We are NOT going to miss the big powder days next season.
Sounds like super wonderful retirement plans! Love your exuberance :D
mlcolorado wrote:Thank you all for helping us get away from our "Financial Advisor" and into low cost, Vanguard Index funds. It has really made a difference. We have 2.7 million in retirement split between Roll Over IRA's, Roth IRA's and non-tax deferred savings. Over all we are at 60% stocks, 35% bonds and 5% cash. Our Portfolio's average investment costs are down to 0.09%. Hard to beat that. We get to "Keep" the growth now. Only wish we had figured that out 10 years earlier. We might have been in the class of 2016.
Don't look back. You're here now and you're on a financially fabulous retirement roll, Vanguard-style. :sharebeer
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

peetsperk wrote: Gave my boss notice today of my pending September retirement. He was the first person other than my wife and adult children to know. It felt like a tremendous weight was lifted off my shoulders. What a nice way to start a new week. :happy
Oooohhh - the TALK with the boss, "thanks for the pay and the 401k, but I'm out'a here!" A heavy weight HAS been lifted off your shoulders :happy Enjoy your summer as you unwind and get ready for retirement 8-)
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

flyingaway wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:31 pm
So you have a pension on top of your stated assets and social security?
yes that is correct
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

Miriam2 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:02 pm
Ok Retire2022! We're wishing you luck getting all your ducks in line for the final end-of-the-year Retirement! Pad that checking account with every penny :moneybag and get those construction loan papers in for your vacation home! What an exciting way to begin retirement :D

Welcome to this Retirement Roll Call and let us know how that new house turns out.
Thanks, so far issue with vacation home is cannot find a decent builder to construction modular home. Contacted one in New England they never returned call and tethered to the job so can't be on property.

Nevertheless I'd finally got my package to estate planning attorney to prepare my will, need to wait for another two more weeks.

I'm not in a rush, so we shall see. I've contributed to my Roth IRA for 2019 and filling up my Roth 457, we see as I get closer to end of the year.
Last edited by retire2022 on Sat May 04, 2019 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

pennywise wrote: I haven't told anyone at work officially, but please add me to the class with a planned retirement date of September 1, 2019. Might get out early, but I won't be there on September 2 for sure!
OK great, you're on the Retirement Roll Call!
pennywise wrote:Husband retired January 1 and seeing him happy, busy and living his best life inspired me AKA has me green with retirement jealousy :D .
Yikes - "green with retirement jealousy" sounds serious. Didn't you give Dear Husband our Roll Call "Honey-Now-That-You're-Retired-To-Do-List"??
pennywise wrote:Now in the process of decluttering home of 30 years and hope to have the For Sale sign up by April 1st. We'll be relocating to live full time in our vacation paradise house purchased 2 years ago.
Oh dear, decluttering 30 years of stuff to fit into a "vacation paradise house" - sounds serious :wink:
pennywise wrote:Have gotten thumbs-up analyses from our TIAA-CREF advisor and our trusted accountant and looks like between double pensions, social security for him now and me later and some rental income we will be just fine covering the basics with a little left over to buy gas for the dive boat and nice wine for the sunset happy hours.

Retirement here we come.
What a nice plan! We wish you a long enjoyable retirement :happy
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

Miriam2 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:37 pm Sorry to have left everyone on the Roll Call alone in the wilderness :confused

Into the hospital I go.
Can you believe it??

Oh no! I didn't see this before, hope you recover soon.
pennywise

Post by pennywise »

I won't submit 'the letter' until June 1 but please add me to the retirement class roll: I will be retiring on June 30 after working at the same place, a university, for 38 years. It's been a great run. The university gave me an education (it's also my alma mater), a husband :wink: (fellow alum and staffer, met him when we were both young employees here), and a rich and rewarding professional life doing work I loved very much.

But it's time to go. Husband retired on January 1st, after 39 years employment at same institution. We are moving to our much loved retirement home bought a couple of years ago. Weekends and holidays there are wonderful and, as is often taught here, they have showed us that time is the most valuable currency and the one you can't save or bank. It's use it or lose it so we want to use it to enjoy doing all the things we love, without having to do the things we must.

Shout out to the Bogleheads and the wisdom of everyone here because a lifetime of trying to live carefully and be prudent is what has allowed us to do this now. So much knowledge and insight from Mr. Bogle down to the many who share their knowledge and advice on the forum. You are wonderful teachers who do so much for so many, thank you all.

I'm a little nervous, it's not often you switch up routines that have been in place almost 40 years but life is for learning in the words of an immortal baby boomer anthem so retirement here I come!
goblue100

Post by goblue100 »

Miriam2 wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 10:14 pm
Hi Zonian59 - welcome to the Retirement Class of 2019 :happy We will call you a June/July graduate and please provide any corrections.

Very touching post about your employment layoff and your mother's health deteriorating. I sincerely admire your "The last few years haven't been easy, but that's how the cards were dealt and I'm doing my best to deal with it." I'm sure it has helped to have your hard earned money well invested Boglehead-style and on some type of auto-pilot (as an aerospace engineer, you probably enjoy that 8-)

I posted an earlier post on the Roll Call for another Boglehead who wrote a similar personal post about his wife's dementia, that when times get tough, this incredible video of Art Garfunkle singing "Bridge Over Troubled Water" at the 1981 Concert in Central Park is my go-to emotional support, soulful and uplifting, divine . . .

"When you're weary,
Feeling small
When tears are in your eyes . . . "

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrcwRt6J32o

We hope this next chapter of your life "sails on by" and gives you great pleasure :happy
Bruce Springsteen wrote a song called Across the Border. I love the Linda Ronstadt / Emmy Lou Harris version and found it comforting during a recent time of loss.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfCS1yXg8gk
We'll leave behind my dear
The pain and sadness we found here
And we'll drink from the Brazo's muddy water
Where the sky grows gray and wide
We'll meet on the other side
There, across the border

For what are we
Without hope in our hearts
That someday we'll drink from God's blessed waters
And eat the fruit from the vine
I know love and fortune will be mine
Somewhere across the border
"Confusion has its cost" - Crosby, Stills and Nash
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

goblue100 wrote: Bruce Springsteen wrote a song called Across the Border. I love the Linda Ronstadt / Emmy Lou Harris version and found it comforting during a recent time of loss. . . .
Thank you for your recommendation :happy
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

L8rboys wrote: Today, I informed HR at Megacorp that my last day will be May 31. Having recently turned 60, I meet the minimum requirements for the pension (and significantly subsidized health insurance). Over the last three years, the retirement calculators have consistently supported this timing; therefore, we decided that life is too short for me to continue to work the crazy hours. . . .
May 31st is right around the corner, L8rboys - you're included in this great class 8-)

Sounds like you have good reason to retire and good retirement ventures to look forward to. :happy
Please let us know how your decluttering goes :mrgreen:
CFOKevin

Post by CFOKevin »

Bogleheads,

I'm late to this party and am happy to report that I retired on February 1st, just after my 58th birthday. My wife is wrapping things up at her job and will join in the fun in July.

So far, I've taken up pickleball and have fallen hard for it. A couple of hours a day on weekdays has helped the first 20 lbs come off and I'm looking forward to many more hours of play (and pounds lost). Another benefit of pickleball has been meeting 40-50 new acquaintances, some well on the way to being friends.

Other than that, I'm volunteering a bit more and working somewhat leisurely through through the household to-do list which always seems to be followed by another one.

Wishing everyone a long and happy retirement filled with the things you want to do (and don't have to do!).

Cheers,

Kevin