Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2019!

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
mjadas

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2019!

Post by mjadas »

After about 27 years working in IT at the university, my last day was Aug 15, 2019. Age 46. It was a little soul-crushing the last few years, so I'm very happy to leave it behind. It'll be nice to have computers/programming/etc back as a hobby!

With accumulated leave I'll be on payroll through early next year. After that I have enough to cover expenses until I start the pension in 2030, but I wouldn't be surprised if I do a little part-time work or start a small business along the way.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Rick60 wrote: Perhaps odd that this is my first post in the forum, but I retired in June 2019 following 32 years in law enforcement, the last 5 as Chief of Police in a south Texas city of about 30,000. It was a rewarding career . . .
__ Jun - Rick06 <<== Welcome to the Class!!

and Welcome to the Bogleheads!

Well deserved congratulations Chief on your rewarding career and joining this Most Distinguished Retirement Class :D

We appreciate your dedicated service. It feels good to retire from a worthwhile job.

Did you tell your fellow officers you were a Boglehead? They probably thought the Chief has gone looney and needs to retire :mrgreen:
Rick60 wrote:. . . and, although the pay in a government position will never approach the compensation for a similar private sector position, the pension from a well-funded system makes up a lot of investment ground. I'm not really sure that I will stop working, so there may be more job income still to be had, but it was important to me that I not retire until I could continue saving and investing into retirement. That accomplished, I am enjoying Mondays and planning on making use of the collective financial intellect here to help make the next season as rewarding as the prior ones have been!
Very nice, thank you for sharing your retirement story. We hope you continue to enjoy your well-deserved stress-free Mondays and all the good times retirement brings you. :D
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Barsoom wrote:
Barsoom wrote: My plan is to retire in July 2019.
I'll be 60, with 38 years of service at Megacorp.
Last day was Monday. I'm now off the payroll forever!
-B
Congratulations Barsoom on punching out of Megacorp!

Must be quite a culture shock to go from spending 40-plus hours every week for almost 4 decades at Megacorp, then to wake up the next morning and realize there's a whole other world out there, running on a different time to different places with different companions . . .

We added you to this great Roll Call - please let us know what your future plans are 8-)
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

TravelforFun wrote: Last day at work today. Head of HR called this morning and asked me to come to her office at 3:30 PM to sign some paperwork.
Oohh - what a sneaky one - lol 8-) She knew how to handle you, and you fell for it :D
TravelforFun wrote:Arrived at the requested time and was led to the HR conference room where a roomful of people were waiting. There were colorful balloons, festive banners, cakes, cookies, punch, and coffee for all to enjoy, and gifts for me. Needless to say, speeches were made but all was good.
Perfect! What a nice story. We all wondered how you were just going to slip out in the dead of night - after all the good work you did for them all these years, there was NO WAY they were just going to let you slip out without a well-deserved, heart-felt, happy and cheerful send-off :D

TravelforFun wrote:Getting on a plane tomorrow for Puerto Vallarta.
Wonderful way to begin your next adventure in life. Now you're really traveling for fun :sharebeer Please don't forget about us, let us know where you are and about all the fabulous new experiences you and your family have. We wish you a long and happy retirement :D
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

mjadas wrote: After about 27 years working in IT at the university, my last day was Aug 15, 2019. Age 46. It was a little soul-crushing the last few years, so I'm very happy to leave it behind. It'll be nice to have computers/programming/etc back as a hobby!

With accumulated leave I'll be on payroll through early next year. After that I have enough to cover expenses until I start the pension in 2030, but I wouldn't be surprised if I do a little part-time work or start a small business along the way.
15 Aug - mjadas (46) <<== Welcome to the Class!!

Enjoy your freedom playing with your computers, but I suspect you'll be very busy fixing personal computers for everyone in the family, in your neighborhood, and in your town :D "First - is your computer plugged in?" "Second - is your computer turned on?" Could be the makings of a nice small business :idea:
soundwave

Post by soundwave »

Miriam2 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:53 pm
soundwave wrote: December 2019! I've been working a phased out retirement since 2015 & have decided that this is my year (at age 66).

The phased plan has worked well for my transition into more personal time, rather than waking up and thinking "now what?"

Many thanks to the Bogleheads sharing their wisdom...so helpful in sorting out my own thoughts 8-)
Hi soundwave,

Nice to hear your phase-out retirement plan worked so well, now you're phasing-into retirement! Please share with us how you sorted out your thoughts :idea:

You're on the Roll Call and the updated list will be published as soon as we can after later :D
Update: FULLY RETIRED! I moved my December 2019 date up to August 2019.

As for "sorting out my own thoughts", I've always been able to justify paying for added adventures or un-budgeted items by simply adding "one more shift". Easy to do in the healthcare field. It's the trading time for money concept and, if the purchase was worth it to me, I embraced this concept.

As I approached my retirement, the "one more shift" mindset had to go. The Bogleheads helped me realize that I could afford my modest but totally adequate (with adventure built in) lifestyle using only my eggs without disassembling my nest.

After being a saver for all of my adult life it was a challenge to even think about spending a dime of my investments & earnings. I know...dimes that I had diligently saved to spend in retirement :oops: :idea:
"Go placidly amid the noise and the haste..." Max Ehrmann
wamom

Post by wamom »

Hello Bogleheads, On bike camping trip in San Juan Islands and my last day of work is this Friday after 35 years as an optometrist at a Seattle based HMO. I am grateful to this community for advice and information to make this possible. We could have retired a few years ago, but waited for our youngest to have a job with health insurance. We will need health insurance for 4 yrs before Medicare, but have planned for it. We hope to spend lots of time hiking and traveling!
3504PIR

Post by 3504PIR »

I have received my final paycheck and am happily off the rolls with my FORMER employer, the US Government! Retirement number one was from the Army 11 years ago and now I have completed my short 11 year and 2 months as a federal employee with the Department of Defense. 34 years total for my “careers,” and a couple of pensions which don’t hurt.

I enjoyed the first career more than the second but they were both very rewarding and I was very lucky to have worked with the people I worked with and to have worked on some really interesting policy changes during my second gig.

My lovely wife asked if I felt any different now that it’s all over and I had to admit that it still hasn’t sunk in, but then again I’ve been very busy with work on our horse/hobby farm and haven’t had much time to ponder it all. We love our small farm and beautiful new home and I’m sure when things slow down this winter, I can sit in front of a fire and smile to myself. In the meantime I will be taking her to a celebration dinner next week and we are going to our first Georgia Football game this Saturday in about 10 years and we have season tickets so many more to come!

This forum was of great help to me in putting together the plan which helped make my short stint as a GS worker as short as it was and I am grateful for the posters who share their knowledge. From this forum I was able to put together an actionable plan as I started my second career which got us here today. We had no retirement savings to speak of 11 years ago, but will now have a fantastic standard of living in a beautiful part of our great country. So thanks to all!

Go Dawgs and Go Retirement!
PhysicianOnFIRE

Post by PhysicianOnFIRE »

Miriam2 wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:03 pm
PhysicianOnFIRE wrote: Leif Dahleen, 43.

My last shift ends Monday, August 12th, 2019 when I am relieved from call duties as an anesthesiologist at 0600.

I don't know if "retired" will be the best term to describe what I'm up to, but I do believe I will be retired from medicine. I'll continue to be a husband and a father to two boys, and will maintain a website to chronicle our post-FIRE adventures.

Cheers! :beer
Leif
12 Aug - PhysicianOnFire (43) <<== Welcome to the Class!!

Congratulation PhysicianOnFIRE! We're honored to have such a famous classmate! We all enjoy your blog and writings about finance and preparing for retirement :D and now we'll all find out whether you planned and prepared properly - or it's back to the on-call emergency room for you :P

And as I'm sure you are aware - there's no relaxing when you have two boys, and wait till they find out the world is full of girls - lol :mrgreen:

Taylor enjoys your writings and you have written about the Three Fund Portfolio.

:?: Q - as a young retiree, how have you arranged your retirement portfolio? to handle expenses, to handle emergencies, to bridge the gap until Medicare and Social Security, to handle long term care, and what about this dang inverted yield curve?? :annoyed
Thank you, Miriam2. Glad to have you in the class!

We're looking forward to traveling the world with our boys. We've got 2 months in Ecuador this fall and 2 months in Spain just after the holidays.

My portfolio and drawdown strategy are detailed in blog posts on my site -- I am not allowed to link to them, but the search function on my site makes them easy to find. I've got a 457(b) and large taxable account to get me to 59.5 and beyond.

We'll be self-insured for LTC and will be paying the rack rate for an ACA Bronze HSA plan for medical insurance.

The yield curve inversion issue -- my guess is as good as yours!

:beer
-PoF
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

soundwave wrote: Update: FULLY RETIRED! I moved my December 2019 date up to August 2019.

As for "sorting out my own thoughts", I've always been able to justify paying for added adventures or un-budgeted items by simply adding "one more shift". Easy to do in the healthcare field. It's the trading time for money concept and, if the purchase was worth it to me, I embraced this concept.

As I approached my retirement, the "one more shift" mindset had to go. The Bogleheads helped me realize that I could afford my modest but totally adequate (with adventure built in) lifestyle using only my eggs without disassembling my nest.

After being a saver for all of my adult life it was a challenge to even think about spending a dime of my investments & earnings. I know...dimes that I had diligently saved to spend in retirement :oops: :idea:
Congratulations soundwave! Always nice to move up our retirement date :happy

Thank you for sharing how you sorted out your thoughts on retiring. I like the visual imagery: "I could afford my modest but totally adequate (with adventure built in) lifestyle using only my eggs without disassembling my nest."

Where is your first adventure going to be?
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

wamom wrote: On bike camping trip in San Juan Islands and my last day of work is this Friday after 35 years as an optometrist at a Seattle based HMO. I am grateful to this community for advice and information to make this possible. We could have retired a few years ago, but waited for our youngest to have a job with health insurance. We will need health insurance for 4 yrs before Medicare, but have planned for it. We hope to spend lots of time hiking and traveling!
You're on the list, wamom! Welcome to this awesome Retirement Class 8-)

As an optometrist and a nature hiker with new-found freedom, you might enjoy this:

"Just as the hand, held before the eye, can hide the tallest mountain, so the routine of everyday life can keep us from seeing the vast radiance and the secret wonders that fill the earth." (Chasidic, 18th Century)
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

3504PIR wrote: I have received my final paycheck and am happily off the rolls with my FORMER employer, the US Government! Retirement number one was from the Army 11 years ago and now I have completed my short 11 year and 2 months as a federal employee with the Department of Defense. 34 years total for my “careers,” and a couple of pensions which don’t hurt.

I enjoyed the first career more than the second but they were both very rewarding and I was very lucky to have worked with the people I worked with and to have worked on some really interesting policy changes during my second gig.

My lovely wife asked if I felt any different now that it’s all over and I had to admit that it still hasn’t sunk in, but then again I’ve been very busy with work on our horse/hobby farm and haven’t had much time to ponder it all. We love our small farm and beautiful new home and I’m sure when things slow down this winter, I can sit in front of a fire and smile to myself. In the meantime I will be taking her to a celebration dinner next week and we are going to our first Georgia Football game this Saturday in about 10 years and we have season tickets so many more to come!

This forum was of great help to me in putting together the plan which helped make my short stint as a GS worker as short as it was and I am grateful for the posters who share their knowledge. From this forum I was able to put together an actionable plan as I started my second career which got us here today. We had no retirement savings to speak of 11 years ago, but will now have a fantastic standard of living in a beautiful part of our great country. So thanks to all!

Great story, 3504PIR, and many thanks for posting your journey to retirement! We share your excitement and hope you have a long, wonderful, action-packed retirement and a great football season with those Dawgs 8-)

Here's a flag for your new home (just hope no Gators crawl by and chew it up :mrgreen:

Last edited by Miriam2 on Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Congrats to all retirees! :beer
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Tracker968

Post by Tracker968 »

Retired April 1st 2019 after 39 years at megacorp. Many people take their earned vacation and leave a week or two early. Instead I didn't take any vacation in Q1 since I figure that I'll be on vacation for the rest of my life! Got a nice vacation pay paycheck. Also have a decent pension but w/o COLA.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Tracker968 wrote: Retired April 1st 2019 after 39 years at megacorp. Many people take their earned vacation and leave a week or two early. Instead I didn't take any vacation in Q1 since I figure that I'll be on vacation for the rest of my life! Got a nice vacation pay paycheck. Also have a decent pension but w/o COLA.
Wow! Retiring after 39 years at Megacorp! Our big congratulations on a very well-deserved retirement!

We're adding you to the Roll Call. Enjoy the rest of your life vacation and please let us know where you're going and what you're doing 8-)
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

It's hurricane season - trying to update this Awesome Retirement Roll Call in between hurricanes :mrgreen:

Let me know your retirement date and age and we'll add you to the list.

Currently we have 62 graduates. Best wishes to all those who have retired!

Happy Graduates!
01 Jan - Tzoellner (60)
02 Jan - bhsince87
05 Jan - Canoesmith
09 Jan - JonnyBeRetired (56)
11 Jan - Tycoon (55)
12 Jan - InMyDreams
15 Jan - David Jay (62)
15 Jan - cyclist (62)
__ Jan - doneat53
__ Jan - Osprey
__ Jan - cogitan

01 Feb - dskelcy (62)
01 Feb - CFOKevin (58)
15 Feb - falconsfan (60)

29 Mar - Xelah (58)
29 Mar - bluelight (62)
__ Mar - Kcr8n (60)
__ Mar - Amirbb (62)

01 Apr - Tracker968
05 Apr - kacang
05 Apr - MLColorado (65)
30 Apr - BoomXer (61)
__ Apr - oldmotos (64)

10 May - Vagabondette (44)
10 May - DartThrower
16 May - saddle_tramp
17 May - K72
17 May - sf64 (54)
31 May - dknightd
31 May - L8rboys (60)
__ May - kjsammy (65)

01 Jun - OregonDucksFan (49)
25 Jun - Goodmand3 (75)
26 Jun - nesdog (65)
28 Jun - peppers
28 Jun - pennywise
28 Jun - jimmyq (52)
__ Jun - Luv2Perform
__ Jun - psrobinson (67)
__ Jun - Rick60
__ Jun/Jul - Zonian59 (60)

01 Jul - walterbird
01 Jul - lacseul (67)
01 Jul - jdv01
04 Jul - Cardinalsfan (60)
05 Jul - frugalminded
07 Jul - Lakinui
10 Jul - GeMoney (55)
11 Jul - Bronco Billy
26 Jul - peetsperk (62)
31 Jul - Castanea_d (mid-60's)
__ Jul - MROCTOBER (62)
__ Jul - Barsoom (60)
__ Jul - Spindrift (57)

12 Aug - PhysicianOnFIRE (43)
15 Aug - mjadas (46)
16 Aug - TravelforFun (67)
16 Aug - 3504PIR
__ Aug - spearo
__ Aug - dayzero
__ Aug - soundwave (66)

06 Sep - wamom

Graduating Soon! - Getting ready for the big adventure :D
30 Sep - Cipro
__ Sep - Barefootgirl
__ Sep - Punta Cana DR (57)

21 Nov - chevre (69)

13 Dec - Rus In Urbe
27 Dec - user9532 (63)
30 Dec - eldinerocheapo
31 Dec - Castanea_d (mid-60's)

__ retire2022 (62?)

The Infinity Retirement Class :wink:
TheTimeLord (class of 2014/2015/2016/2017/2018/2019 . . to infinity and beyond! . . )

:sharebeer
Godot

Post by Godot »

retire2022 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:53 pm All, a couple of weeks ago, I am throwing in the towel and expect to retire at the end of this year.

32 years working state and city government, and high traditional 457b 1.0 million, net worth 2.1 million, Roth IRA account 420K, No kids, no spouse, expenses are approx 25K.

I've calculated that my RMD will be higher at 70.5 than while working. Social Security won't be tapped until 70, because payout will be 3100 vs 1799 at 62. My medical plan will be covered from sick time unspent.

I need to pad my checking account and apply for construction loan before I put in my retirement papers for my vacation home.

Wish me luck
You have only 80X expenses. Going to be nip and tuck for you. Think about working another ten years.
"The day you die is just like any other, only shorter." | ― Samuel Beckett
TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun »

Godot wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:34 pm
retire2022 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:53 pm All, a couple of weeks ago, I am throwing in the towel and expect to retire at the end of this year.

32 years working state and city government, and high traditional 457b 1.0 million, net worth 2.1 million, Roth IRA account 420K, No kids, no spouse, expenses are approx 25K.

I've calculated that my RMD will be higher at 70.5 than while working. Social Security won't be tapped until 70, because payout will be 3100 vs 1799 at 62. My medical plan will be covered from sick time unspent.

I need to pad my checking account and apply for construction loan before I put in my retirement papers for my vacation home.

Wish me luck
You have only 80X expenses. Going to be nip and tuck for you. Think about working another ten years.
Nip and tuck. Haha. He got infinite X because his expenses are less than his SS.

TravelforFun
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

"There's one thing I've always wanted to do before I quit. Retire."

(Groucho Marx in "Animal Crackers")

We are happy to announce that the Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2020 is open :D

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=282012
retired redhead

Post by retired redhead »

June 2019 So far so good.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

retired redhead wrote: June 2019 So far so good.
__ June - retired redhead <<== Welcome to the Class!

Congratulations on punching out! Let us know date and age and we'll update the Roll Call list.

What are your retirement plans?
3504PIR

Post by 3504PIR »

Miriam2 wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:04 pm
3504PIR wrote: I have received my final paycheck and am happily off the rolls with my FORMER employer, the US Government! Retirement number one was from the Army 11 years ago and now I have completed my short 11 year and 2 months as a federal employee with the Department of Defense. 34 years total for my “careers,” and a couple of pensions which don’t hurt.

Great story, 3504PIR, and many thanks for posting your journey to retirement! We share your excitement and hope you have a long, wonderful, action-packed retirement and a great football season with those Dawgs 8-)

Here's a flag for your new home (just hope no Gators crawl by and chew it up :mrgreen:

Thank you too, and love the flag!
nesdog

Post by nesdog »

As I noted earlier in the thread, I retired at the end of June at age 65. This is my update. Since then, I have:

Been to the beach and surfed over 15 times;
Did a day of cycling with friends 62 miles from Moorpark to San Barbara and took the train back;
Visited Old Towne Orange;
Took our 25 year old daughter to the Laguna Sawdust Festival;
Spent a few days in Palm Desert;
Had a picnic lunch at the SB Botanical Gardens;
Spent nearly two weeks in Lake Tahoe;
Took a month of guitar lessons;
And more!

Retirement is the BEST!! Thanks to the BH community for helping us achieve a good night's sleep!
Insert clever comment here...
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

nesdog wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:11 pm As I noted earlier in the thread, I retired at the end of June at age 65. This is my update. Since then, I have:

Did a day of cycling with friends 62 miles from Moorpark to San Barbara and took the train back;
And more!

Retirement is the BEST!! Thanks to the BH community for helping us achieve a good night's sleep!
Thanks for the Retirement Update! Looks like a whirlwind of wonderful experiences 8-)

But wait - I know that 65 is still very young and we are all forever 21, but just wondering how easy is it to climb on a surfboard out in the ocean with large waves a-coming your way, then stay up on the surfboard, balanced and poised and safe?? :confused
MarkBarb

Post by MarkBarb »

I think I'll be in the class of 2019. I accepted a voluntary separation package from my employer. We're still working on a date. I'd prefer sooner and they'd prefer later. We are tentatively agreeing on mid-December.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

MarkBarb wrote: I think I'll be in the class of 2019. I accepted a voluntary separation package from my employer. We're still working on a date. I'd prefer sooner and they'd prefer later. We are tentatively agreeing on mid-December.
Hi MarkBarb! Welcome to this Spectacular Retirement Class :happy
We'll pencil you in for Dec 2019, and please let us know when your R-date has been settled and you can Punch Out!
Last edited by Miriam2 on Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nesdog

Post by nesdog »

Miriam2 wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:02 pm
nesdog wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:11 pm As I noted earlier in the thread, I retired at the end of June at age 65. This is my update. Since then, I have:

And more!

Thanks for the Retirement Update! Looks like a whirlwind of wonderful experiences 8-)

But wait - I know that 65 is still very young and we are all forever 21, but just wondering how easy is it to climb on a surfboard out in the ocean with large waves a-coming your way, then stay up on the surfboard, balanced and poised and safe?? :confused
I've been surfin' since I was a kid, and I don't go out when it's any kind of bigger size; I'm kinda a wimp that way. I swim two miles a week at the gym so I'm very comfortable in the water. There are way more folks out there much older than me!
Insert clever comment here...
InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams »

InMyDreams wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:42 pm Perhaps some may not consider this "retirement" - but I will!
Cutting back to ~1 day/week beginning mid January 2019.

Yippee!
And at year's end, full retirement. Mixed feelings, but I think it's time.

I really feel with the two recent threads about beginning to spend your nest egg - it's difficult!
4nursebee

Post by 4nursebee »

1/2 of us is retiring in a couple hours. Worked 40 years after education. No big plans, enjoy life. Catch up, enjoy, be oneself. Some concern about meeting new people but new doors will open. The other of us is working for 3-10 years for minimum of insurance.
Pale Blue Dot
triggertreat

Post by triggertreat »

Im about to join the class of 2019.Gave my 2 weeks notice the middle of July and am still working.I am a lead service tech in a specialized field and the person I was training quit the afternoon I turned in my letter. Because of the relationship I developed over the last 12 years with my customers I couldnt just walk away from them.I gave the company 3 months to start training someone while I maintained the accounts.The time has come and my last day will be Nov.1st. Its been a long journey .I started work at 15 and although I wont be 65 until April 2020 the demands of the job told me its time. I look forward to my next assignment-Taking my 4yr old Granddaughter to preschool!
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

InMyDreams wrote: Perhaps some may not consider this "retirement" - but I will!
Cutting back to ~1 day/week beginning mid January 2019.
Yippee!
InMyDreams wrote:And at year's end, full retirement. Mixed feelings, but I think it's time.
I really feel with the two recent threads about beginning to spend your nest egg - it's difficult!
Full steam ahead to full retirement in December - what a great feeling that will be!
Mixed feelings about spending from your nest egg?? Well you know where your helpers are!

If you need assistance, here's your "Send Help - Need Whiskey" flag to hoist up :D

http://www.flags.com/whiskey-flag/
triggertreat

Post by triggertreat »

Well I made it :D .Submitted my final paperwork yesterday.I drove between 70 and 80k miles a year and one of my goals was to be off the road before the first snow and wouldnt you know it started snowing where I live in Michigan about 2 hours after I got home!Going to be quite a change in my sleep pattern not getting up a 3am to hit the road LOL.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

triggertreat wrote: I'm about to join the class of 2019.Gave my 2 weeks notice the middle of July and am still working.I am a lead service tech in a specialized field and the person I was training quit the afternoon I turned in my letter. Because of the relationship I developed over the last 12 years with my customers I couldn't just walk away from them.I gave the company 3 months to start training someone while I maintained the accounts.The time has come and my last day will be Nov.1st. Its been a long journey .I started work at 15 and although I won't be 65 until April 2020 the demands of the job told me its time.
Thank you Triggertreat for sharing your journey to retirement with us :happy Welcome to the Retirement Class! Quite incredible to think you have been working almost 50 years, yes that's quite a long journey. Time to relax and reap the benefits of your good work.
triggertreat wrote: Well I made it :D .Submitted my final paperwork yesterday.I drove between 70 and 80k miles a year and one of my goals was to be off the road before the first snow and wouldn't you know it started snowing where I live in Michigan about 2 hours after I got home! Going to be quite a change in my sleep pattern not getting up at 3am to hit the road LOL.
What a fun way to finish up 50 years of hitting the road! Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays BH Triggertreat from the swift completion of the appointed work-day round - and yahoo!! - not gonna keep Triggertreat from pulling the blankets over and enjoying the relaxing mornings of retirement :D And moreover, enjoying the beauty and peace of the snow.
triggertreat wrote: I look forward to my next assignment-Taking my 4yr old Granddaughter to preschool!
Aww, sweet! Wait till she wants to borrow your car :wink:
Best wishes for a long, enjoyable retirement.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

4nursebee wrote: 1/2 of us is retiring in a couple hours. Worked 40 years after education. No big plans, enjoy life. Catch up, enjoy, be oneself. Some concern about meeting new people but new doors will open. The other of us is working for 3-10 years for minimum of insurance.
Dear 4nursebee,

Congratulations on your retirement and welcome to the Retirement Roll Call! After 40 years of working, I would say you can fully enjoy catching up, enjoying life, and being yourself :D

"Having complete control over one's time is the greatest luxury that money can buy." (BH mlebuf)
macsen

Post by macsen »

I often lurk, seldom post, but today was a special milestone. Today was my last day as a at work. Age 62, 30 at megacorp in semiconductor manufacturing, spend most of my 20s working as a stagehand for travelling Broadway shows. I truly loved that, and met my wife touring. But that is a young mans game, and not good for responsible financial habits.

I won't miss the megacorp grind, but I will miss talented people I worked with. I have more mixed emotions that I expected at retirement. I have worked and planned for this for a decade. Perhaps the thought of change is exciting, but the reality is a bit daunting.

We have a balanced Boglehead portfolio, more than I had ever imagined, and are blessed with 2 pensions, smallish, but a gift to be sure. So retirement expenses should not be an issue.

As to what the future holds, well we had plans. Move from NY to TN, no frozen north, and LCL. But life plans changed and we will stay home to raise our 5 yer old granddaughter. She is a wonderful, sweet, special child, and will certainly keep us young. And now I have time to look into something like yoga to help with getting up off the floor after playing trucks or barbies :shock:
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

macsen wrote: I often lurk, seldom post, but today was a special milestone. Today was my last day as a at work. Age 62, 30 at megacorp in semiconductor manufacturing . . . I won't miss the megacorp grind, but I will miss talented people I worked with. I have more mixed emotions that I expected at retirement. I have worked and planned for this for a decade. Perhaps the thought of change is exciting, but the reality is a bit daunting.

We have a balanced Boglehead portfolio, more than I had ever imagined, and are blessed with 2 pensions, smallish, but a gift to be sure. So retirement expenses should not be an issue.

As to what the future holds, well we had plans. Move from NY to TN, no frozen north, and LCL. But life plans changed and we will stay home to raise our 5 yer old granddaughter. She is a wonderful, sweet, special child, and will certainly keep us young. And now I have time to look into something like yoga to help with getting up off the floor after playing trucks or barbies :shock:
Hi Macsen! Welcome to the Retirement Roll Call :D We'll put you in for a Punch Out date of Nov 8.

Enjoyed so much reading your journey through work to retirement. And I understand fully the mixed emotions that wave over us when we retire from good work with good people into a new future that means we are getting older and life is moving on - into a world of the unknown and the uneasy feeling that we won't find productive things to do.

With your grand-daughter, you'll have plenty of meaningful productive things to do :D
macsen wrote: Today was my last day as a at work. Age 62, 30 at megacorp in semiconductor manufacturing, spent most of my 20s working as a stagehand for travelling Broadway shows. I truly loved that, and met my wife touring. But that is a young mans game, and not good for responsible financial habits.
But now you're now longer working! Use your experience as a travelling Broadway stagehand and sign up and help Crosswalk The Musical get their props out of the crosswalk before traffic starts up (I think they could use help with Les Miserables :mrgreen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dF495ERjRUo
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Happy thanksgiving everyone - here is the latest update for the Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2019!

We now have 68 graduates enjoying their first holiday season without Sturm & Stress :D

Already Graduated! - Congratulations!!
01 Jan - Tzoellner (60)
02 Jan - bhsince87
05 Jan - Canoesmith
09 Jan - JonnyBeRetired (56)
11 Jan - Tycoon (55)
15 Jan - David Jay (62)
15 Jan - cyclist (62)
__ Jan - doneat53
__ Jan - Osprey
__ Jan - cogitan

01 Feb - dskelcy (62)
01 Feb - CFOKevin (58)
15 Feb - falconsfan (60)

29 Mar - Xelah (58)
29 Mar - bluelight (62)
__ Mar - Kcr8n (60)
__ Mar - Amirbb (62)

01 Apr - Tracker968
05 Apr - kacang
05 Apr - MLColorado (65)
30 Apr - BoomXer (61)
__ Apr - oldmotos (64)

10 May - Vagabondette (44)
10 May - DartThrower
16 May - saddle_tramp
17 May - K72
17 May - sf64 (54)
31 May - dknightd
31 May - L8rboys (60)
__ May - kjsammy (65)

01 Jun - OregonDucksFan (49)
25 Jun - Goodmand3 (75)
26 Jun - nesdog (65)
28 Jun - peppers
28 Jun - pennywise
28 Jun - jimmyq (52)
__ Jun - Luv2Perform
__ Jun - psrobinson (67)
__ Jun - Rick60
__ Jun - retired redhead
__ Jun - Alaska_Skeeter (62)
__ Jun/Jul - Zonian59 (60)

01 Jul - walterbird
01 Jul - lacseul (67)
01 Jul - jdv01
04 Jul - Cardinalsfan (60)
05 Jul - frugalminded
07 Jul - Lakinui
10 Jul - GeMoney (55)
11 Jul - Bronco Billy
26 Jul - peetsperk (62)
__ Jul - MROCTOBER (62)
__ Jul - Barsoom (60)
__ Jul - Spindrift (57)

12 Aug - PhysicianOnFIRE (43)
15 Aug - mjadas (46)
16 Aug - TravelforFun (67)
16 Aug - 3504PIR
__ Aug - spearo
__ Aug - dayzero
__ Aug - soundwave (66)

06 Sep - wamom
30 Sep - Cipro
__ Sep - Barefootgirl
__ Sep - Punta Cana DR (57)

17 Oct - 4nursebee

01 Nov - triggertreat (64)
08 Nov - macsen (62)
21 Nov - chevre (69)

Graduating Soon! - Feverishly getting their papers together before the year runs out :D
13 Dec - Rus In Urbe
27 Dec - user9532 (63)
30 Dec - eldinerocheapo
31 Dec - Castanea_d (mid-60's)
__ Dec - InMyDreams
__ Dec - MarkBarb
__ retire2022 (62?)

The Infinity Retirement Class :wink:
TheTimeLord (class of 2014/2015/2016/2017/2018/2019 . . to infinity and beyond! . . )

:sharebeer

Feel left out? Let us know your retirement date and age we'll add you to this Splendid Retirement Roll Call.
Last edited by Miriam2 on Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
peetsperk

Post by peetsperk »

Congratulations to all of the most recent members of the Retirement Class of 2019. And oh what a class it is! :sharebeer
TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun »

Three months into retirement and I love it. Highly, highly recommend it.

TravelforFun
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

And more!

That is awesome. In my opinion a successful transition to retirement is not so much how much one has (although most important in some respects), but having “enough” to provide the flexibility to do whatever one wishes.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Alaska_Skeeter

Post by Alaska_Skeeter »

I retired in June 2019 at age 62.

Health Insurance was my biggest concern...COBRA was over $25k per year,
so instead for the last 6 months of 2019,
I went with a heath share plan at $300 per month, and will be
on subsidized Obamacare Blue Cross Gold at $350 per month in 2020.
Our taxable income must be less than $89 k in 2020, so I took out enough
in 2019 from my 401k as a buffer to get me to 65 and Medicare.

I have a list of 3 major accomplishments for every day's to-do-list,
so I look back and don't find my time wasted on social media, etc.
kjsammy

Post by kjsammy »

Retired May 31.
It was amazing to have the summer off, outside almost every day.
Since the winter weather has arrived I sometimes think I am not using my time well.
I think I need to read on the phone less and books more.
Presently going over past advice from David Jay and others and will make a Roth conversion this week.
3 Major accomplishments each day! That is amazing to me. :beer
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Alaska_Skeeter wrote: I retired in June 2019 at age 62.

Health Insurance was my biggest concern...COBRA was over $25k per year,
so instead for the last 6 months of 2019,
I went with a heath share plan at $300 per month, and will be
on subsidized Obamacare Blue Cross Gold at $350 per month in 2020.
Our taxable income must be less than $89 k in 2020, so I took out enough
in 2019 from my 401k as a buffer to get me to 65 and Medicare.
Congratulations on your retirement Alaska_Skeeter, and welcome to this Retirement Roll Call :beer
Thank you for sharing your healthcare financing adventure.
Alaska_Skeeter wrote:I have a list of 3 major accomplishments for every day's to-do-list,
so I look back and don't find my time wasted on social media, etc.
And what do you consider a "major accomplishment"? Some days in retirement, just getting out of bed to decide what to do is a major accomplishment, lol :D We're really impressed you tackle 3 major accomplishments!
Castanea_d.

Post by Castanea_d. »

(slips back in after a long absence)
I'm still on track to bring up the tail end of this year's parade: December 31. Seventeen more days. Miriam nailed it about "feverishly getting their papers together before the year is out." Lots more of this than I expected, but I think everything is done. Mostly. I will feel a lot more comfortable when my not-yet-65 wife's medical insurance card for 2020 shows up; the Powers That Be acted like it was an unforeseen possibility that the new retiree (me) could be on Medicare, but his spouse wasn't. Surely such a thing has never happened before!

People have been saying very nice things to me this month. The church where I work as an organist/choirmaster threw a nice party, with much Chocolate and other good things. I am still enjoying some homemade brownies from one of the choir sopranos that are very, very chocolate-y and good.

The two most common questions:
"What are you going to do?" My answer is "Say No to everything for six months."

"Where are you going to live?" (most of them have heard rumors that we are moving away). I tell them the place (it is a small town in northern Iowa), they ask "Why?" and I say "Why not?"

In truth, the answer to "what are you going to do" is mostly "Find a house in our new town, and move there." That will keep us out of mischief for a while. Our apartment lease runs out March 31, so that puts a time limit on it.

One time years ago in a work-related move, we had to house-hunt in a northern New York blizzard; I think it was about ten below with near-zero visibility, which of course doesn't faze the locals up there in the slightest. At least you could tell the nice snug and warm houses from the drafty places. I hope we don't have to do something similar this time, but January in northern Iowa can be that way sometimes. It will be luck of the draw.

My big retirement splurge so far: I bought a $10,000 piano, a Yamaha Avant-Grand. It is still sitting in the music store's warehouse until we have a place to put it, and I am so totally looking forward to playing it, even though I am giving up playing the Steinway at the church and the pipe organ. The difference is that I will be playing what I want instead of what I must.

All good wishes to the most wonderful Miriam2 and all the members of the 2019 class!
:beer 8-)
TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun »

Castanea_d. wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:43 am (slips back in after a long absence)
1) Mostly. I will feel a lot more comfortable when my not-yet-65 wife's medical insurance card for 2020 shows up; the Powers That Be acted like it was an unforeseen possibility that the new retiree (me) could be on Medicare, but his spouse wasn't. Surely such a thing has never happened before!

2) The two most common questions:
"What are you going to do?" My answer is "Say No to everything for six months."

3) My big retirement splurge so far: I bought a $10,000 piano, a Yamaha Avant-Grand. It is still sitting in the music store's warehouse until we have a place to put it, and I am so totally looking forward to playing it, even though I am giving up playing the Steinway at the church and the pipe organ.

4) All good wishes to the most wonderful Miriam2 and all the members of the 2019 class!
:beer 8-)
1) I had to stay on my HR department to make sure they follow through on my wife COBRA paperwork and it was a relief when my company's insurance administrator drafted our first COBRA payment. Stay on them.

2) Four months into my retirement and I so enjoy it mainly because I'm able to say, 'Not yet.'

3) Congratulations on your purchase! I've splurged on trips. So far in four months, we've done: Puerto Vallarta, France and Belgium, Seattle, and Southern California. We live in TX.

4) Yes. Thank you, Miriam 2 for your hard work.

TravelforFun
MarkBarb

Post by MarkBarb »

Miriam2 wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:18 pm
MarkBarb wrote: I think I'll be in the class of 2019. I accepted a voluntary separation package from my employer. We're still working on a date. I'd prefer sooner and they'd prefer later. We are tentatively agreeing on mid-December.
Hi MarkBarb! Welcome to this Spectacular Retirement Class :happy
We'll pencil you in for Dec 2019, and please let us know when your R-date has been settled and you can Punch Out!
I'm done. Thursday was my last day at the office and Friday the 13th was my last official day as an employee.
David Jay

Post by David Jay »

Quick update - we have spent 14 weeks away from home since retiring in January. Most of that was a 10 week RV (pickup and 5th wheel) trip to Seattle from our home in Michigan. We “played” so hard it was a joy to get home and relax.
It's not an engineering problem - Hersh Shefrin | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

MarkBarb wrote: I'm done. Thursday was my last day at the office and Friday the 13th was my last official day as an employee.
Ok, thanks for the update. We'll input you on the re-boot :D
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Castanea_d. wrote: (slips back in after a long absence)
I'm still on track to bring up the tail end of this year's parade: December 31.
Congratulations and well-played! You can celebrate your retirement and a happy new year at the same time! (meaning a much bigger party :mrgreen:

Thank you for sharing your adventures on your road to retirement.
Castanea_d. wrote:People have been saying very nice things to me this month. The church where I work as an organist/choirmaster threw a nice party, with much Chocolate and other good things. I am still enjoying some homemade brownies from one of the choir sopranos that are very, very chocolate-y and good.
Sounds like a delightful emotional retirement time :D
Castanea_d. wrote:My big retirement splurge so far: I bought a $10,000 piano, a Yamaha Avant-Grand. It is still sitting in the music store's warehouse until we have a place to put it, and I am so totally looking forward to playing it, even though I am giving up playing the Steinway at the church and the pipe organ. The difference is that I will be playing what I want instead of what I must.
And that's the best retirement benefit of all - the time to play what you want when you want where you want. It's the Freedom of Retirement.

So, time to take out that Yamaha Avant-Grand Piano and happy-dance your fingers over the keys playing Scott Joplin :musical_note: 8-)

Castanea_d. wrote:All good wishes to the most wonderful Miriam2 and all the members of the 2019 class!
Thank you, and yes, this is a most Awesome Retirement Class :D
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

kjsammy wrote: . . . Since the winter weather has arrived I sometimes think I am not using my time well.
I think I need to read on the phone less and books more.
Here's a nice warm snuggle-y idea for winter reading from Boglehead Peppers :D
peppers wrote: Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:03 pm On these cold and blustery winter nights, I like to make a nice hot cup of hazelnut coffee, get a warm blanket and snuggle up on the couch and peruse the latest IRS publications. 'Tis the season....