Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2019!

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2019!

Post by Miriam2 »

TravelforFun wrote: . . . I've splurged on trips. So far in four months, we've done: Puerto Vallarta, France and Belgium, Seattle, and Southern California. We live in TX.. . .
David Jay wrote: Quick update - we have spent 14 weeks away from home since retiring in January. Most of that was a 10 week RV (pickup and 5th wheel) trip to Seattle from our home in Michigan. We “played” so hard it was a joy to get home and relax.
Wow! jet-setting road-rocking retirees! Many thanks for the interesting updates 8-) perhaps it's now time for a little of this --

pfree

Post by pfree »

I'm down to 4 more work days now that the President gave us the 24th off. Last day is the 31st. Movers coming Jan 2 and then I'm off to
Charleston SC. Spend a few days setting up my new apartment then off to Florida to visit family. After that...well who knows... :happy :happy
kjsammy

Post by kjsammy »

Miriam2 wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:16 pm
kjsammy wrote: . . . Since the winter weather has arrived I sometimes think I am not using my time well.
I think I need to read on the phone less and books more.
Here's a nice warm snuggle-y idea for winter reading from Boglehead Peppers :D
peppers wrote: Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:03 pm On these cold and blustery winter nights, I like to make a nice hot cup of hazelnut coffee, get a warm blanket and snuggle up on the couch and peruse the latest IRS publications. 'Tis the season....
Ok, laughed out loud. You have a great sense of humor and are perfect for the roll calls Miriam.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

pfree wrote: I'm down to 4 more work days now that the President gave us the 24th off. Last day is the 31st. Movers coming Jan 2 and then I'm off to Charleston SC. Spend a few days setting up my new apartment then off to Florida to visit family. After that...well who knows... :happy :happy
Welcome to this Exciting 2019 Retirement Roll Call, pfree :happy You're on the list, just a few more days to go. Got all your paperwork into the proper offices?

Now you're really truckin, pfree - retire on Dec. 31, party all night New Years Eve, finish packing Jan. 1, then movers come Jan 2, travel to Charleston and spend a few days settling into new apartment, then off to Florida to visit family - by around Jan 8 (?). You don't waste time!

Enjoy your new retirement home, stay healthy and wealthy, and keep us posted on what you're up to in retirement. 8-)
Castanea_d.

Post by Castanea_d. »

TravelforFun, thank you for the Sage Advice. My wife's medical card arrived yesterday, thanks in part to two more phone calls with gentle reminders to the Powers That Be.

I played my last church service this morning; Christmas Lessons and Carols, so there was lots of music. Friends helped me carry the last boxes out of my office, and I am done. My remaining two "work" days:
- Monday, my normal Day Off
- Tuesday, a Day of Vacation :D
Then, Happy New Year!

We have an appointment with a real estate agent tomorrow morning and four houses to visit.
Peppers (and Miriam) - that was good about snuggling up with IRS publications. Sigh. I downloaded them yesterday, and will be doing exactly that.

pfree, congratulations! I am glad that there are two of us at the Back of the 2019 Parade. Best wishes to you in your retirement. I love Charleston! What a great place to live!

Miriam, as always thank you for the kind words. I used to have some Joplin under my fingers; I'll have to dust it off and see if I can still play it. Great stuff!

Happy New Year to all.
RUsure

Post by RUsure »

I turned 60 this year -- and surprise, my contract was not renewed, so I am done. Well, at least for now. It wasn't a total shock and I had been ready -- but not ready -- to hang it up after many years of self-employment. So I am putting myself down for the Class of 2019. The only party being thrown in my honor is right here :D. (The price of being a teleworker.) Happy New Decade to us all!!
triggertreat

Post by triggertreat »

As 2019 comes to a close I would like to wish all the class members a very HAPPY NEW YEARS.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

RUsure wrote: I turned 60 this year -- and surprise, my contract was not renewed, so I am done. Well, at least for now. It wasn't a total shock and I had been ready -- but not ready -- to hang it up after many years of self-employment. So I am putting myself down for the Class of 2019.
Congratulations on being un-renewed and now part of this Great Retirement Class!
RUsure wrote:The only party being thrown in my honor is right here :D. (The price of being a teleworker.) Happy New Decade to us all!!
And wow, can we throw a party!! :D And you know, when you're retired, you can party all year :sharebeer

Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Here is the end-of-the-year Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2019!

We have 80 very happy graduates who punched out of the rat race!

Our youngest retiree is PhysicianOnFIRE at age 43, who nudged out Vagabondette at age 44 :wink:

Our oldest retiree is Goodmand3 at age 75, ahead of Chevre at age 69 8-)

Our most senior retirees are 9Iron, who joined this wonderful Bogleheads.org forum on Feb. 23, 2007, a mere 4 days after it was founded on Feb. 19, 2007, and Cipro, who joined on Nov. 24, 2007, only 9 months after it was founded - 13 years ago! 9Iron's and Cipro's portfolios are truly a Masterpiece to Behold :D

Congratulations to our Graduates! We wish you a long, enjoyable retirement.
01 Jan - Tzoellner (60)
02 Jan - bhsince87
05 Jan - Canoesmith
09 Jan - JonnyBeRetired (56)
11 Jan - Tycoon (55)
15 Jan - David Jay (62)
15 Jan - cyclist (62)
__ Jan - doneat53
__ Jan - Osprey
__ Jan - cogitan

01 Feb - dskelcy (62)
01 Feb - CFOKevin (58)
15 Feb - falconsfan (60)

29 Mar - Xelah (58)
29 Mar - bluelight (62)
__ Mar - Kcr8n (60)
__ Mar - Amirbb (62)

01 Apr - Tracker968
05 Apr - kacang
05 Apr - MLColorado (65)
30 Apr - BoomXer (61)
__ Apr - oldmotos (64)

10 May - Vagabondette (44)
10 May - DartThrower
16 May - saddle_tramp
17 May - K72
17 May - sf64 (54)
31 May - dknightd
31 May - L8rboys (60)
31 May - kjsammy (65)

01 Jun - OregonDucksFan (49)
25 Jun - Goodmand3 (75)
26 Jun - nesdog (65)
28 Jun - peppers
28 Jun - pennywise
28 Jun - jimmyq (52)
30 Jun - bethanybeachreader (58)
__ Jun - Luv2Perform
__ Jun - psrobinson (67)
__ Jun - Rick60
__ Jun - retired redhead
__ Jun - Alaska_Skeeter (62)

01 Jul - walterbird
01 Jul - lacseul (67)
01 Jul - jdv01
04 Jul - Cardinalsfan (60)
05 Jul - frugalminded
07 Jul - Lakinui
10 Jul - GeMoney (55)
11 Jul - Bronco Billy
26 Jul - peetsperk (62)
__ Jul - MROCTOBER (62)
__ Jul - Barsoom (60)
__ Jul - Spindrift (57)

12 Aug - PhysicianOnFIRE (43)
15 Aug - mjadas (46)
16 Aug - TravelforFun (67)
16 Aug - 3504PIR
__ Aug - spearo
__ Aug - dayzero
__ Aug - soundwave (66)
__ Aug - Zonian59 (60)

06 Sep - wamom
30 Sep - Cipro
__ Sep - Barefootgirl
__ Sep - Punta Cana DR (57)

04 Oct - 9Iron
17 Oct - 4nursebee

01 Nov - triggertreat (64)
08 Nov - macsen (62)
21 Nov - chevre (69)

13 Dec - Rus In Urbe
13 Dec - MarkBarb
18 Dec - DJN (64)
27 Dec - user9532 (63)
30 Dec - eldinerocheapo
31 Dec - Castanea_d (mid-60's)
31 Dec - pfree
31 Dec - RUsure (60)
31 Dec - InMyDreams

The Infinity Retirement Class :wink:
TheTimeLord (class of 2014/2015/2016/2017/2018/2019 . . to infinity and beyond! . . )

Let me know if you wish to be added to this Awesome Retirement Roll Call.
:sharebeer
Last edited by Miriam2 on Sun Jul 04, 2021 12:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams »

Miriam2 wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:19 pm __ Dec - InMyDreams
31 Dec 2019 - InMyDreams, tho the last day worked was the 29th.

Now, the pension/annuity checks were supposed to start today. Hopefully they'll be there tomorrow?
RUsure

Post by RUsure »

Congratulations on being un-renewed and now part of this Great Retirement Class!
RUsure wrote:The only party being thrown in my honor is right here :D. (The price of being a teleworker.) Happy New Decade to us all!!
And wow, can we throw a party!! :D And you know, when you're retired, you can party all year :sharebeer

[/quote]

Thanks for the great party and for your good wishes, Miriam2!!
dknightd

Post by dknightd »

so far like being retired :)
Retired 2019. So far, so good. I want to wake up every morning. But I want to die in my sleep. Just another conundrum. I think the solution might be afternoon naps ;)
eldinerocheapo

Post by eldinerocheapo »

Well, it's been several days, and I'm lining up accounts to begin meeting retirement expenses for the long haul. Luckily, my DW will work a few more years for the medical so we have a lot of bases covered. I know people retire every day, but I had no idea how emotional it would get with staff and fellow managers at the retirement party. My company was great about everything, and even though I'm retired, I still feel like I'm supposed to show up for work on Monday. Guess security would have something to say about that.

Did any of you feel like you jumped off a cliff when you walked out the door? Right now, I'm more sad than happy, and this is totally unexpected.
"Dream, Dare, Do."
Zonian59

Post by Zonian59 »

Miriam2,

Thanks for your encouragements and Happy New Year!

I'd like to update my retirement month to August 2019.
That was the month I commenced by megacorp retirement pension and received first pension check in September.
Turning 60 in 2019 and receiving pension retirement checks I now feel qualified to say "I am retired".
(Actually not completely as I am still holding down the caregiving duties for my 94-year-old mother.)

Cashflow is a little more comfortable now with the monthly pension check.
Finally rolled over my 401k to IRA at Schwab and consolidated some accounts.
Beginning in 2020 will be restructuring overall portfolio, updating estate plans, doing some long neglected home repairs, decluttering and downsizing (as a retirement hobby?), and perhaps some travel, etc.
Also have lots of rethinking to do in preparation of reaching that milestone age 65 forward.

As they say, "Onward and Upward!" (in the Boglehead manner and spirit.)
9Iron

Post by 9Iron »

My last day of work was 10/4. One of the best decisions I ever made. So far, everything is going according to plan.

I should have done it earlier! :happy
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

9Iron wrote: My last day of work was 10/4. One of the best decisions I ever made. So far, everything is going according to plan.

I should have done it earlier! :happy
Way to go, 9Iron! "Should have done it earlier" - well, at least you didn't do it later! We'll add you to the roster.

But wait, now we have a conundrum . . . . .

We have already awarded Cipro the Most Coveted Award of The Most Senior Boglehead of this 2019 Retirement Class, since Cipro joined this fabulous Bogleheads.org forum on Nov. 24, 2007, a mere 9 months after it was formed on Feb. 19, 2007 . . . . and now we have 9Iron who joined this forum on Feb. 23, 2007, a mere 4 days after it was formed . . . .

Well, quite frankly, anyone who was fortunate enough to have found and joined this forum in 2007 deserves this Most Coveted Award - and so you both win the Award and both your portfolios are deemed truly a Masterpiece to Behold :D
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

eldinerocheapo wrote: Well, it's been several days, and I'm lining up accounts to begin meeting retirement expenses for the long haul. Luckily, my DW will work a few more years for the medical so we have a lot of bases covered. I know people retire every day, but I had no idea how emotional it would get with staff and fellow managers at the retirement party. My company was great about everything, and even though I'm retired, I still feel like I'm supposed to show up for work on Monday. Guess security would have something to say about that.
Thank you for your retirement R-day update and yes, we understand how emotional it can get at a retirement party . . . after all, when you work at a good job with a good employer with good staff and co-workers for a long time, they become your work family. And when you leave that secure work family, it's like leaving home to go to college, to go into the military, to make a move somewhere, all new and untried and untested.
eldinerocheapo wrote:Did any of you feel like you jumped off a cliff when you walked out the door? Right now, I'm more sad than happy, and this is totally unexpected.
Yes, that's exactly how I felt. Leaving my wonderful job was emotionally upsetting, all my good talents :mrgreen: going to waste, all that education and experience and now poof! gone into retirement :(

But . . . this only lasted a few weeks and before you know it, you'll be light as a feather without all that work stress hanging over you :D

After all, retirement is simply a phase of life and we make it the best we can.

Congratulations eldinerocheapo! We wish you a long enjoyable retirement.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

TheTimeLord wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:41 pm I plan on becoming a stay home spouse in 2019, but first I am going to try some modifications to my work schedule going into the 4th quarter of 2018. Still working on how to max out life.
Wow, what a great year 2019 was for investors. In dollar terms, my investable assets increased by the largest annual amount to date. I achieved my number and things just kept going. As a result, I am sitting at an asset level that I had never modeled for or considered. I am beyond the realm of known space so to speak. It occurs to me there are financial possibilities available I have never considered because I viewed them as unattainable. So I am delaying my retirement indefinitely until I get my bearings in this uncharted land (could be a month, could be a decade). I won't say it was an easy decision to continue working into 2020 (took about 2 months to decide) but it is one that is supported by my spouse and all but one dissenting friend (always good to hear a different viewpoint). I look forward to the adventure 2020 and beyond has in store for me. And as always to Infinity and Beyond!

8-)
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
EddyB

Post by EddyB »

TheTimeLord wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:35 pm
TheTimeLord wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:41 pm I plan on becoming a stay home spouse in 2019, but first I am going to try some modifications to my work schedule going into the 4th quarter of 2018. Still working on how to max out life.
Wow, what a great year 2019 was for investors. In dollar terms, my investable assets increased by the largest annual amount to date. I achieved my number and things just kept going. As a result, I am sitting at an asset level that I had never modeled for or considered. I am beyond the realm of known space so to speak. It occurs to me there are financial possibilities available I have never considered because I viewed them as unattainable. So I am delaying my retirement indefinitely until I get my bearings in this uncharted land (could be a month, could be a decade). I won't say it was an easy decision to continue working into 2020 (took about 2 months to decide) but it is one that is supported by my spouse and all but one dissenting friend (always good to hear a different viewpoint). I look forward to the adventure 2020 and beyond has in store for me. And as always to Infinity and Beyond!

8-)
I admire your ability to use every conceivable justification for a decision that requires no justification.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

EddyB wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:49 am
TheTimeLord wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:35 pm

8-)
I admire your ability to use every conceivable justification for a decision that requires no justification.
It doesn't but since I feel like I am going against the grain of the site I did.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Zonian59 wrote: I'd like to update my retirement month to August 2019.
That was the month I commenced by megacorp retirement pension and received first pension check in September.
Turning 60 in 2019 and receiving pension retirement checks I now feel qualified to say "I am retired".
(Actually not completely as I am still holding down the caregiving duties for my 94-year-old mother.)
Thank you for your update, Zonian59, and we'll up-load upon re-boot. Nice to hear your pension checks found you :happy

Very heart-warming to hear of you holding down the care-giving duties for your 94-year-old mother. An emotional retirement for sure, and having been through that experience, it can be a lot of work and very difficult, but also most important. What more can we do for our mothers?
Zonian59 wrote: Cashflow is a little more comfortable now with the monthly pension check.
Finally rolled over my 401k to IRA at Schwab and consolidated some accounts.
Beginning in 2020 will be restructuring overall portfolio, updating estate plans, doing some long neglected home repairs, decluttering and downsizing (as a retirement hobby?), and perhaps some travel, etc.
Also have lots of rethinking to do in preparation of reaching that milestone age 65 forward.

As they say, "Onward and Upward!" (in the Boglehead manner and spirit.)
I love your plans! What a great new life ahead of you in retirement.

And yes - "long neglected home repairs, decluttering and downsizing" is everyone's perpetual retirement hobby :mrgreen: And I truly mean Perpetual - we finish one home repair, then another pops up. Then there's the yard - home ownership is nothing more than perpetual battle with vegetation. Prune trees this year, trees grow, need to prune next year, and trees cost big bucks to prune. And decluttering - ooohhhaaww - it simply never ends. And we can't downsize until we declutter. Or downsizing is decluttering, or decluttering downsizes or something like that. :annoyed
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

TheTimeLord wrote: Wow, what a great year 2019 was for investors. In dollar terms, my investable assets increased by the largest annual amount to date. I achieved my number and things just kept going. As a result, I am sitting at an asset level that I had never modeled for or considered. I am beyond the realm of known space so to speak. It occurs to me there are financial possibilities available I have never considered because I viewed them as unattainable. So I am delaying my retirement indefinitely until I get my bearings in this uncharted land (could be a month, could be a decade). I won't say it was an easy decision to continue working into 2020 (took about 2 months to decide) but it is one that is supported by my spouse and all but one dissenting friend (always good to hear a different viewpoint). I look forward to the adventure 2020 and beyond has in store for me. And as always to Infinity and Beyond!
8-)
Hi TimeLord - it's always a pleasure when you post here with your new retirement plans 8-)

Sounds like you made a thoughtful decision - I would call it good and move forward.

And yes, who could foresee the 2019 investing world with such asset increases. I understand fully - why retire if you're still young and don't have to, if you still enjoy your job and the work, and why not keep saving and increasing your portfolio - especially if the alternative is an apprehension about filling retirement time with meaningful activities while one's spouse is still working. Take it year by year, or 6-month intervals, or until there are health challenges or something else pops up.

We look forward to your check-in, when you get your bearings :happy
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

Miriam

Apologies but retirement plan for class of April 2020 is on hold not sure when I will leave. On the latest news I total lost to date is 570K, from 1.83 million to 1.29 Million.

Sorry I was premature, as I was going to retire, the market decides to collapse, I don't regret my AA of 93/7, it comes with territory.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

retire2022 wrote: Apologies but retirement plan for class of April 2020 is on hold not sure when I will leave. On the latest news I total lost to date is 570K, from 1.83 million to 1.29 Million.

Sorry I was premature, as I was going to retire, the market decides to collapse, I don't regret my AA of 93/7, it comes with territory.
No problem - we'll put you in the recycle bin and re-boot when you make your decision :D
TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun »

Miriam2 wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:28 pm
TheTimeLord wrote: Wow, what a great year 2019 was for investors. In dollar terms, my investable assets increased by the largest annual amount to date. I achieved my number and things just kept going. As a result, I am sitting at an asset level that I had never modeled for or considered. I am beyond the realm of known space so to speak. It occurs to me there are financial possibilities available I have never considered because I viewed them as unattainable. So I am delaying my retirement indefinitely until I get my bearings in this uncharted land (could be a month, could be a decade). I won't say it was an easy decision to continue working into 2020 (took about 2 months to decide) but it is one that is supported by my spouse and all but one dissenting friend (always good to hear a different viewpoint). I look forward to the adventure 2020 and beyond has in store for me. And as always to Infinity and Beyond!
8-)
Hi TimeLord - it's always a pleasure when you post here with your new retirement plans 8-)

Sounds like you made a thoughtful decision - I would call it good and move forward.

And yes, who could foresee the 2019 investing world with such asset increases. I understand fully - why retire if you're still young and don't have to, if you still enjoy your job and the work, and why not keep saving and increasing your portfolio - especially if the alternative is an apprehension about filling retirement time with meaningful activities while one's spouse is still working. Take it year by year, or 6-month intervals, or until there are health challenges or something else pops up.

Retirees like us need folks like Timelord to continue working. We're down to 3 workers supporting one retiree now. If I knew where TimeLord lives I'd send him a bouquet.😀

TravelforFun
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

TravelforFun wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:39 pm
Miriam2 wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:28 pm
8-)

Retirees like us need folks like Timelord to continue working. We're down to 3 workers supporting one retiree now. If I knew where TimeLord lives I'd send him a bouquet.😀

TravelforFun
Send it to my P. O. Box on Gallifrey. I will pick it up next time I am there (get it, next TIME).
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

We're up-dating and re-booting this Awesome Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2019!

We have 80 very happy graduates who punched out of the rat race!

Our youngest retiree is PhysicianOnFIRE at age 43, who nudged out Vagabondette at age 44 :wink:

Our most senior retirees are 9Iron, who joined this wonderful Bogleheads.org forum on Feb. 23, 2007, a mere 4 days after it was founded on Feb. 19, 2007, and Cipro, who joined on Nov. 24, 2007, only 9 months after it was founded - 13 years ago! 9Iron's and Cipro's portfolios are truly a Masterpiece to Behold :D

Congratulations to our Graduates! We wish you a long, enjoyable retirement.
01 Jan - Tzoellner (60)
02 Jan - bhsince87
05 Jan - Canoesmith
09 Jan - JonnyBeRetired (56)
11 Jan - Tycoon (55)
15 Jan - David Jay (62)
15 Jan - cyclist (62)
__ Jan - doneat53
__ Jan - Osprey
__ Jan - cogitan

01 Feb - dskelcy (62)
01 Feb - CFOKevin (58)
15 Feb - falconsfan (60)

29 Mar - Xelah (58)
29 Mar - bluelight (62)
__ Mar - Kcr8n (60)
__ Mar - Amirbb (62)

01 Apr - Tracker968
05 Apr - kacang
05 Apr - MLColorado (65)
30 Apr - BoomXer (61)
__ Apr - oldmotos (64)

10 May - Vagabondette (44)
10 May - DartThrower
16 May - saddle_tramp
17 May - K72
17 May - sf64 (54)
31 May - dknightd
31 May - L8rboys (60)
31 May - kjsammy (65)

01 Jun - OregonDucksFan (49)
25 Jun - Goodmand3 (75)
26 Jun - nesdog (65)
28 Jun - peppers
28 Jun - pennywise
28 Jun - jimmyq (52)
30 Jun - bethanybeachreader (58)
__ Jun - Luv2Perform
__ Jun - psrobinson (67)
__ Jun - Rick60
__ Jun - retired redhead
__ Jun - Alaska_Skeeter (62)

01 Jul - walterbird
01 Jul - lacseul (67)
01 Jul - jdv01
04 Jul - Cardinalsfan (60)
05 Jul - frugalminded
07 Jul - Lakinui
10 Jul - GeMoney (55)
11 Jul - Bronco Billy
26 Jul - peetsperk (62)
__ Jul - MROCTOBER (62)
__ Jul - Barsoom (60)
__ Jul - Spindrift (57)

12 Aug - PhysicianOnFIRE (43)
15 Aug - mjadas (46)
16 Aug - 3504PIR
__ Aug - spearo
__ Aug - dayzero
__ Aug - soundwave (66)
__ Aug - Zonian59 (60)

06 Sep - wamom
30 Sep - Cipro
__ Sep - Punta Cana DR (57)

04 Oct - 9Iron
17 Oct - 4nursebee

01 Nov - triggertreat (64)
08 Nov - macsen (62)
21 Nov - chevre (69)

13 Dec - Rus In Urbe
13 Dec - MarkBarb
18 Dec - DJN (64)
27 Dec - user9532 (63)
30 Dec - eldinerocheapo
31 Dec - Castanea_d (mid-60's)
31 Dec - pfree
31 Dec - RUsure (60)
31 Dec - InMyDreams

The Infinity Retirement Class :wink:
TheTimeLord (class of 2014/2015/2016/2017/2018/2019 . . to infinity and beyond! . . )

Let me know if you wish to be added to this Awesome Retirement Roll Call.
:sharebeer

What are the 2019 retirees up to these days?
Last edited by Miriam2 on Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:09 am, edited 3 times in total.
TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun »

Miriam2 wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 1:06 pm We're up-dating and re-booting this Awesome Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2019!

What are the 2019 retirees up to these days?
What a great summary! Thank you, Miriam2.

I'm glad to report that after I retired, I was able to take a big chunk from my portfolio and traveled with my wife and our friends to Mexico, Italy, Spain, Belgium, France, and the US west coast on a series of trip before COVID-19 shut everything down.

We've been living on my wife's SS, my SPIA, and our savings, and I'm also pleased to report that our portfolio is a few percentages higher now than it was on August 16, 2019. I'll take my SS in two years but in the meantime, I can't wait for the pandemic to pass so we can take trips again. I'm so bored.

Thanks for all your hard work.

TravelforFun
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

TravelforFun wrote: I'm glad to report that after I retired, I was able to take a big chunk from my portfolio and traveled with my wife and our friends to Mexico, Italy, Spain, Belgium, France, and the US west coast on a series of trip before COVID-19 shut everything down.

We've been living on my wife's SS, my SPIA, and our savings, and I'm also pleased to report that our portfolio is a few percentages higher now than it was on August 16, 2019. I'll take my SS in two years but in the meantime, I can't wait for the pandemic to pass so we can take trips again. I'm so bored.
We enjoyed reading your report of your retirement adventures - you certainly enjoy traveling! Hope you can get back into your travel mode soon.

Meanwhile, don't be bored - you can clean out the garage or closets! Or how about reading all the "Should I invest in International Stock Funds?" threads on the forum? 8-)
bethanybeachreader

Post by bethanybeachreader »

Boy did I miss the boat, never saw the roll call thread until now. I retired on June 30, 2019 at 58 years old. After this past year, I couldn't be happier. Working full time from home would have been so stressful, not sure if I would have survived all the zoom calls.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

bethanybeachreader wrote: Boy did I miss the boat, never saw the roll call thread until now. I retired on June 30, 2019 at 58 years old. After this past year, I couldn't be happier. Working full time from home would have been so stressful, not sure if I would have survived all the zoom calls.
Welcome to this Fabulous Retirement Roll Call and no, you didn't miss the boat - we're still here and you were just so busy getting your retirement squared away and so happy to punch out :D You've been added to the class.

Stress - yes you missed the work stress, so good you can avoid that - but you could probably survive Zoom calls! In fact, the Bogleheads have a Zoom meeting every week somewhere in Boglehead land, you could check them out and get used to zooming around :mrgreen:
https://www.bogleheads.org/blog/calendar-of-events/

We hope you have a long and happy retirement :D
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

Miriam2 wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:49 pm
retire2022 wrote: Apologies but retirement plan for class of April 2020 is on hold not sure when I will leave. On the latest news I total lost to date is 570K, from 1.83 million to 1.29 Million.

No problem - we'll put you in the recycle bin and re-boot when you make your decision :D
Miriam2

As a follow-up, I submitted my retirement papers for target exit date 6/30/2021.

Today made a new milestone, portfolio is worth 2.4 million!

wish me luck class of 2021.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

retire2022 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:25 pm
Miriam2 wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:49 pm

Miriam2
As a follow-up, I submitted my retirement papers for target exit date 6/30/2021.
Today made a new milestone, portfolio is worth 2.4 million!
wish me luck class of 2021.
OK retire2022! You're out of the recycle bin and rebooted over to the 2021 class. You're not going to wait to retire in 2022? :wink:

Now about this AA of 93/7 - looks like you collapsed with the market (you have nerves of steel! 8-) ) then bounced back up with the market - must be a relief. But how long have you been 93/7? That was a lot of $$ to see disappear from your accounts. Interesting to see how you not only made it back up, but even made more, and in such a relatively short time. And when you retire, are you going to stay at 93/7?

We wish you luck over in the 2021 Class, and a long and enjoyable retirement :happy
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

Miriam2 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:22 pm
OK retire2022! You're out of the recycle bin and rebooted over to the 2021 class. You're not going to wait to retire in 2022? :wink:

Now about this AA of 93/7 - looks like you collapsed with the market (you have nerves of steel! 8-) ) then bounced back up with the market - must be a relief. But how long have you been 93/7? That was a lot of $$ to see disappear from your accounts. Interesting to see how you not only made it back up, but even made more, and in such a relatively short time. And when you retire, are you going to stay at 93/7?

We wish you luck over in the 2021 Class, and a long and enjoyable retirement :happy
Thank you Miriam2 for nice words

Actually because I am a NYS Civil Servant and working from home, it was relatively easy, at least in hindsight, my friend did walk me back from a bit of a shock on March 23, 2020.

That was when I calculated lost approx 600K on paper.

During that time last year I was still getting a paycheck, in parallel to the pandemic, my 89 dementia mother was starving herself to death, of course daily visits and having to clean her underneath was a new experience, which I don't recommend. Ultimately she did expire last year March 28, 2020, the NYC Medical examiner had her body for a month.

Without vaccine and being stuck at home, I didn't see the point of retiring and no where to go.

I've calculated that was just profits, which was worth less, now worth more, I have been through several crashes, always recovered.

my pretax 457 is current 1.5 million from low of 989K last march, and my Roth IRA which was at 400 is worth 650K now.

Having job safety, help keep a cool head.

Once I am no longer employed I expect to transfer my pretax account to Vanguard and I will see where the AA will be. My AA fluxuates +/- 2% been like 95/5 for a long time at my age. I still invest like I am 30 years old lol.