Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by LadyGeek »

I merged rob's thread into a similar discussion. (It's a financial milestone of sorts.)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
banook

Post by banook »

We have had mega ups and downs the past two years outside of finances, but are very fortunate to have passed the 2M net worth (1.6M in investments/retirement accounts) mark on my 40th birthday with mostly all BH advice. I know it's been a very difficult year for some, and I appreciate all the great insight and advice here.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

banook wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:29 am We have had mega ups and downs the past two years outside of finances, but are very fortunate to have passed the 2M net worth (1.6M in investments/retirement accounts) mark on my 40th birthday with mostly all BH advice. I know it's been a very difficult year for some, and I appreciate all the great insight and advice here.
A $2 million net worth at age 40 is absolutely excellent.

Congratulations!
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
Fortuitous

Post by Fortuitous »

Household Net worth has crossed the 500k Mark.

3 Years ago when I discovered this community, we were sitting around 150k.

We have come along way in a short period of time with still a long way to go.

I do sincerely appreciate all the wisdom from you internet strangers.

:beer
clip651

Post by clip651 »

Fortuitous wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:54 am Household Net worth has crossed the 500k Mark.

3 Years ago when I discovered this community, we were sitting around 150k.

We have come along way in a short period of time with still a long way to go.

I do sincerely appreciate all the wisdom from you internet strangers.

:beer
Congrats! The strangers here give good advice, but you are the one that put it in action!
luminous

Post by luminous »

Last month our net worth passed the $4M mark, which just feels unreal. I am in my mid-40s, spouse a bit younger. We don't own real estate so this is all investments. As ever, we are thankful for this forum for helping us keep it simple and stay the course.
67/12/21 US stock/international stock/bonds. Bonds capped at 10x annual spending. Semi-retired as of 2022.
jarjarM

Post by jarjarM »

luminous wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:33 pm Last month our net worth passed the $4M mark, which just feels unreal. I am in my mid-40s, spouse a bit younger. We don't own real estate so this is all investments. As ever, we are thankful for this forum for helping us keep it simple and stay the course.
Congrats, time to think about the next chapter of your life with beach or snowy mountain, your pick :beer
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

luminous wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:33 pm Last month our net worth passed the $4M mark, which just feels unreal. I am in my mid-40s, spouse a bit younger. We don't own real estate so this is all investments. As ever, we are thankful for this forum for helping us keep it simple and stay the course.
You have $4 million in your mid 40s, and (per your signature) you hope to semi-retire in 2022. That is wonderful!

As you said, keep it simple and stay the course. Wiser words were never spoken.

Congratulations!
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
northfork

Post by northfork »

Not so much a milestone as a goal achieved...

I'm trying to recover from a large financial and life setback several years ago (divorce w/children). I downsized my expenses this year and vowed to max out all the investment perks I could.

The last after tax retirement contribution was deducted from 2nd to last paycheck of the year which dropped today...

So, my accomplishment this year:

$64,500 into retirement (401k w/catchup post tax converted to Roth via MBD, $9750 was employer match)
$25000 into ESPP program
$7200 into HSA (family plus catchup)
-------------------
== $96,700 into investments, over 50% of gross in a HCOL area (or a bit under taking into account employer 401k match but still...).

I am also now debt free for the first time perhaps my entire adult life.

I'm way behind a lot of you guys in terms of nw but this is a tough crowd :)
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

northfork wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:41 pm Not so much a milestone as a goal achieved...

I'm trying to recover from a large financial and life setback several years ago (divorce w/children). I downsized my expenses this year and vowed to max out all the investment perks I could.

The last after tax retirement contribution was deducted from 2nd to last paycheck of the year which dropped today...

So, my accomplishment this year:

$64,500 into retirement (401k w/catchup post tax converted to Roth via MBD, $9750 was employer match)
$25000 into ESPP program
$7200 into HSA (family plus catchup)
-------------------
== $96,700 into investments, over 50% of gross in a HCOL area (or a bit under taking into account employer 401k match but still...).

I am also now debt free for the first time perhaps my entire adult life.

I'm way behind a lot of you guys in terms of nw but this is a tough crowd :)
Saving as much as you did this year is a big deal. Being debt free makes it an even bigger deal.

You may be behind a little in net worth, but you’re on the way to making it up with your savings rate.

Congratulations!
nycbudgetq

Post by nycbudgetq »

Got my bonus recently. Total Comp this year (including RSUs that will vest over a few years) exceeds $1m for the first time. Cheers! :beer
Last edited by nycbudgetq on Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

I took a job a while back. Figured my comp would increase over time once I proved myself. It did. The End.
Jimsad

Post by Jimsad »

nycbudgetq wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 5:35 pm Got my bonus recently. Total Comp this year (including RSUs that will vest over a few years) exceeds $1m for the first time. Cheers! :beer
Wow! Congrats
Jimsad

Post by Jimsad »

I was in similar position few years ago and I diversified by buying some real estate
If you have ‘zero’ real estate including no primary residence , IMHO you should at least buy a home to diversify if stocks take a huge hit at some point
Better do it soon before mortgage rates go up too much !
Yefuy.Goje

Post by Yefuy.Goje »

nycbudgetq wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 5:35 pm Got my bonus recently. Total Comp this year (including RSUs that will vest over a few years) exceeds $1m for the first time. Cheers! :beer
That is truly amazing!! Congrats!!
Do you mind sharing what you do?
luminous

Post by luminous »

Jimsad wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:59 am
I was in similar position few years ago and I diversified by buying some real estate
If you have ‘zero’ real estate including no primary residence , IMHO you should at least buy a home to diversify if stocks take a huge hit at some point
I hear you, and I would buy real estate if it made financial sense. I live in SF and our rent controlled apartment is far cheaper than a similar house or condo. Like, purchase price is 50x annual rent. So, for now, we won't be buying a primary residence.
67/12/21 US stock/international stock/bonds. Bonds capped at 10x annual spending. Semi-retired as of 2022.
novolog

Post by novolog »

we just passed $500k net worth at age 29. we had a negative net worth 5 years ago.

like most on this forum, we do not share these milestones w/ our friends & family, but they are fun to post here.
S&P 500 + Bitcoin
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

AnnetteLouisan wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:38 pm I took a job a while back. Figured my comp would increase over time once I proved myself. It did. The End.
That is wonderful! So much good news in this thread, keep it coming!
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

novolog wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:05 pm we just passed $500k net worth at age 29. we had a negative net worth 5 years ago.

like most on this forum, we do not share these milestones w/ our friends & family, but they are fun to post here.
Awesome! My net worth was still negative at 29, so I’m super impressed. And I love your username, I have about $9 grand of Novolog in my butter drawer.

Keep up the good work!
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

Normchad wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:07 pm
AnnetteLouisan wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:38 pm I took a job a while back. Figured my comp would increase over time once I proved myself. It did. The End.
That is wonderful! So much good news in this thread, keep it coming!
I’d actually given up on ever making the 2022 salary amount because it didn’t happen in 2015. But better late than never! I’ll have the final numbers next month but it’s looking healthy!

Like the others note, I can’t discuss this with friends and in the rare cases notes are inadvertently compared, usually because someone is changing jobs or is dissatisfied, Annette invariably loses a friend! 🙄🙄🙄 except here, where I’m the poor relation! 😅
bugleheadd

Post by bugleheadd »

fell short of my $1m net worth goal this year. next year !
jarjarM

Post by jarjarM »

bugleheadd wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 1:14 pm fell short of my $1m net worth goal this year. next year !
don't sell yourself short, there's still 3 more trading days to go. :beer
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

novolog wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:05 pm we just passed $500k net worth at age 29. we had a negative net worth 5 years ago.

Congratulations :D .

At age 29 our net worth was probably close to zero.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
doss

Post by doss »

This was unexpected.

Hit 1,000,000 net worth today. That includes my house which is worth $270k and has a $128k mortgage, but at least it's not a big part of the net worth.

I am 41, married and single income earner in the family and we have 2 kids!

I was making $36k in my 20s (didn't start saving until sometime around the mortgage crisis).

Got a nice job in 2012 where I've been saving aggressively since! My employer contributes 7% to my 401k and I try to max that out every year , as well as make sure the Roth IRAs are funded (spousal, too) , HSA, etc.

I remember about 2-3 years ago I took my wife for a steak dinner where we celebrated our 500k milestone.

I think the KEY for us has been:
  • 90% in SP500
  • Low mortgage of $1045.mo
  • Having kids late
  • No divorce
  • Easy visual tracking of assets on mint.com
Next goal is to hit 1million in retirement assets sometime in 2022(non-home).
“ The long-term 9%-10% nominal return of the stock market INCLUDES the crashes.” — calvin+hobbs
Jimsad

Post by Jimsad »

luminous wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:53 pm
I hear you, and I would buy real estate if it made financial sense. I live in SF and our rent controlled apartment is far cheaper than a similar house or condo. Like, purchase price is 50x annual rent. So, for now, we won't be buying a primary residence.
I understand ‘rent controlled ‘ but does this also guarantee your land lord cannot ask you to vacate for other reasons ?
Also the home prices may keep going up
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

Jimsad wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:34 am
I understand ‘rent controlled ‘ but does this also guarantee your land lord cannot ask you to vacate for other reasons ?
It is cheaper to rent in most HCOL and has been for decades. Why make future guesses about how that might change?

On the other hand, anyone reading this should run the numbers for themselves. In our case, it was going to be 4 years before interest, taxes and HOA fell below rent. The HOA has gone up more than rent in that time.
Jimsad

Post by Jimsad »

sailaway wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:42 am
Jimsad wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:34 am
It is cheaper to rent in most HCOL and has been for decades. Why make future guesses about how that might change?

On the other hand, anyone reading this should run the numbers for themselves. In our case, it was going to be 4 years before interest, taxes and HOA fell below rent. The HOA has gone up more than rent in that time.
I guess your are right that numbers wise , it may make sense to continue to rent for some but for me I felt stifled with lack of freedom in rented house to change anything and it was more than just a financial decision to buy
But everyone to his own !
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

doss wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 5:35 am This was unexpected.

Hit 1,000,000 net worth today. That includes my house which is worth $270k and has a $128k mortgage, but at least it's not a big part of the net worth.

I am 41, married and single income earner in the family and we have 2 kids!

I was making $36k in my 20s (didn't start saving until sometime around the mortgage crisis).

Got a nice job in 2012 where I've been saving aggressively since! My employer contributes 7% to my 401k and I try to max that out every year , as well as make sure the Roth IRAs are funded (spousal, too) , HSA, etc.

I remember about 2-3 years ago I took my wife for a steak dinner where we celebrated our 500k milestone.

I think the KEY for us has been:
  • 90% in SP500
  • Low mortgage of $1045.mo
  • Having kids late
  • No divorce
  • Easy visual tracking of assets on mint.com
Next goal is to hit 1million in retirement assets sometime in 2022(non-home).
Congratulations!

This is really an inspiring post. You’re doing so many things right. By saving prudently and being appropriately (for your age) aggressive with your asset allocation, you’ve built a nice nest egg. And the “family matters” that you mention are important too.

Your next milestone will most likely arrive sooner than you think. Once again, congratulations.
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

We bought I bonds. I feel both grown up and trendy.
khangaroo

Post by khangaroo »

Not mine directly but my mom and dad told me yesterday that they wrote a check for $6,000 and paid off their HOUSE!!!! They bought it new in 2001 in Clackamas/Damascus, OR.

I got hooked on Dave Ramsey back in 2015 when I was trying to get my personal and financial life together and it took me a year later to get debt-free. My mom was hesitant about it at first but got on board a few years after me and starting rapidly paying off her debts. I'm so proud of her and my dad that they can head off into retirement without a mortgage to worry about. My dad is retiring next year and my mom said she'll follow him shortly - they are both union warehouse workers for Kroger. We are refugees from Vietnam and had the extreme luck of being sponsored to come to the United States in 1989 and have accomplished so much within one generation - we are truly blessed.

My parents told me not to share on social media because she doesn't want any of her family and friends to know because they're gonna ask her for money lol. So I figured I would post it here where it'll live in a small niche of the internet and presumably away from our social circle. Next step is to start increasing their contributions into their retirement accounts.
Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

sailaway wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:00 pm We bought I bonds. I feel both grown up and trendy.
I love how you stated it. Congrats and welcome to the club!
HootingSloth

Post by HootingSloth »

HootingSloth wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:06 am A difficult year in many ways, but a bright one financially. Our savings rate went over 50% of gross income for the first time this year (about 53%), and we saved over 2 years of expenses for the first time (about 2.5 years).
Two major milestones this year: my wife recovered from an extended and debilitating illness, and we welcomed our first child. In other news, our annual savings was over 3 years of expenses for the first time, and I received a significant promotion, effective tomorrow.
Global Market Portfolio + modest tilt towards volatility (80/20->60/40 as approach FI) + modest tilt away from exchange rate risk (80% global+20% U.S. stocks; currency-hedge bonds) + tax optimization
MillennialFinance19

Post by MillennialFinance19 »

HootingSloth wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:02 am
HootingSloth wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:06 am A difficult year in many ways, but a bright one financially. Our savings rate went over 50% of gross income for the first time this year (about 53%), and we saved over 2 years of expenses for the first time (about 2.5 years).
Two major milestones this year: my wife recovered from an extended and debilitating illness, and we welcomed our first child. In other news, our annual savings was over 3 years of expenses for the first time, and I received a significant promotion, effective tomorrow.
Congrats on all of the above! Good luck in the new role!
VTI and chill until 57...
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

HootingSloth wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:02 am
Congratulations on all of your milestones, that's an amazing year.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
joshuabell

Post by joshuabell »

joshuabell wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:11 am Turning 40 and want to post a milestone here.

Networth: 5.23mm with no inherited money!!

Thank you boglehead for your advice and guidance throughout these years!!

Feel very blessed!!
Update As of 12/3/2021
Net worth hit $6.26mm. 30% in real estate and 70% in investment portfolio.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

joshuabell wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:19 pm
joshuabell wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:11 am Turning 40 and want to post a milestone here.

Networth: 5.23mm with no inherited money!!

Thank you boglehead for your advice and guidance throughout these years!!

Feel very blessed!!
Update As of 12/3/2021
Net worth hit $6.26mm. 30% in real estate and 70% in investment portfolio.
You’ve increased your net worth by just over $1 million since your last post in January 2020.

That’s awesome! Congratulations!
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

I’m up $170,000 for the year, approximately, which is my largest ever YOY net worth increase (on a gross salary of 290 including matching, and net of 76k in taxes). It includes savings, investments and matching. Most years I increase about $110-120k, so this is a record. I’ll update this Tuesday with more exact numbers.

It means I spent about $44k this year, a number that includes $15k on housing. It’s a great result, but I need to spend more and invest more. Spending $44k including housing is too austere at my age. I’ve been spending like this for about eight years now so I need a break. Most I ever spent in my life in one year was $75k, with travel.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

khangaroo wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:16 pm Not mine directly but my mom and dad told me yesterday that they wrote a check for $6,000 and paid off their HOUSE!!!! They bought it new in 2001 in Clackamas/Damascus, OR.

I got hooked on Dave Ramsey back in 2015 when I was trying to get my personal and financial life together and it took me a year later to get debt-free. My mom was hesitant about it at first but got on board a few years after me and starting rapidly paying off her debts. I'm so proud of her and my dad that they can head off into retirement without a mortgage to worry about. My dad is retiring next year and my mom said she'll follow him shortly - they are both union warehouse workers for Kroger. We are refugees from Vietnam and had the extreme luck of being sponsored to come to the United States in 1989 and have accomplished so much within one generation - we are truly blessed.

My parents told me not to share on social media because she doesn't want any of her family and friends to know because they're gonna ask her for money lol. So I figured I would post it here where it'll live in a small niche of the internet and presumably away from our social circle. Next step is to start increasing their contributions into their retirement accounts.
What a wonderful success story and a heartwarming way to greet 2022. Congrats to you and your parents!
travelnut11

Post by travelnut11 »

khangaroo wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:16 pm Not mine directly but my mom and dad told me yesterday that they wrote a check for $6,000 and paid off their HOUSE!!!! They bought it new in 2001 in Clackamas/Damascus, OR.

Absolutely love this post. Thanks so much for sharing and congrats to you and your family!
Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrowmindedness ...and many of our people need it solely on these accounts. - Mark Twain | | Life is either a daring adventure or it is nothing. - Helen Keller
Accrual

Post by Accrual »

Accrual wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 9:07 am With Friday's paycheck I crossed over $100k. $70k in retirement accounts and $30k in savings (emergency fund + house down payment). Age 27.

I am very grateful for finding this website. Thanks to all who post :sharebeer
It's been awhile since I posted in this thread.

2021 - $414k - Age 30
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Accrual wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:40 am
Accrual wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 9:07 am With Friday's paycheck I crossed over $100k. $70k in retirement accounts and $30k in savings (emergency fund + house down payment). Age 27.

I am very grateful for finding this website. Thanks to all who post :sharebeer
It's been awhile since I posted in this thread.

2021 - $414k - Age 30
So in May 2018, you reached $100k. And now, less than 4 years later, you’ve added $314k more to your assets.

That’s just great! I expect that you had both a great savings rate and some asset appreciation.

Keep up the good work. Congratulations!
Last edited by Stinky on Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Congratulations, that is an outstanding success story :D .
cogito

Post by cogito »

cogito wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:12 pm Wife and I (31/30) just passed 500k net worth this week. It feels like we could be further ahead when measured against other techies that post here, but we are single income in HCOL, and come from very lower-middle-class households. We are by default richer than anyone in either of our families, and having started our marriage 5 years ago with 110k in student loans, we absolutely never saw ourselves making it as far as we have. When I told my wife she was officially a half-millionaire, should could not believe it, and it still feels surreal for myself as well. We have toddlers, 2 and 1, and feel grateful and humbled that they will, God willing, not grow up in money insecure households like we both did. Thankful to this forum and the FIRE communities for giving us a "how" for our "why".
A little more than a year later, during Christmas last week, we crossed 1M net worth. Crypto and Hedgefundie and home appreciation helped a bit, but it doesn't feel like we did anything differently. Probably 100k in contributions since, but the rest was equity market returns. Incredible what the power of investing can do. We're almost in disbelief.
novolog

Post by novolog »

Normchad wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:08 pm

Awesome! My net worth was still negative at 29, so I’m super impressed. And I love your username, I have about $9 grand of Novolog in my butter drawer.

Keep up the good work!
thank you normchad. i also keep mine in the butter drawer. i guess it's the smallest compartment in the fridge. :D
S&P 500 + Bitcoin
novolog

Post by novolog »

heartwarming story. congratulations to them.
S&P 500 + Bitcoin
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

For anyone interested in reading about a Vietnamese refugee experience, The Unwanted:A Memoir of Childhood by Kien Nguyen is terrific. About a son of a Vietnamese and an American soldier who escapes to America after living in communism after the fall of Saigon and becomes a dentist in NYC.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

FYI - The book can be discussed in What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
diydocwifejd

Post by diydocwifejd »

End of year addition to this thread:

Investments are up $300k from last year -- now $900k! Should cross $1M in investments in 2022...
We also saved up an $86k emergency fund over the course of 2021
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest." -Benjamin Franklin
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

diydocwifejd wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:22 pm End of year addition to this thread:

Investments are up $300k from last year -- now $900k! Should cross $1M in investments in 2022...
We also saved up an $86k emergency fund over the course of 2021
That is excellent.

Congratulations!
lobsterman2112

Post by lobsterman2112 »

Since 2012 I've been keeping track of my investment assets in a spreadsheet. Initially it was once a year, but now I do it monthly, since I use the sheet to tell me which asset class I'm low in and adjust my monthly investing accordingly.

We have no loans and own our house. DW and I are in the health care field and are both in our early 50s.

We are somewhat thrifty and have been trying to avoid lifestyle creep. That's more difficult since we seen the neighbors a lot more as no one's traveling this last couple years and we do a lot more going to each other's back yards and basements on the weekends.

Net worth is only investable assets and do not include the worth of our house or children's 529 plans. I originally was Age-15 in bonds and the rest mostly in Total Stock Market. I'm planning in 2022 to have a flat 2M in bonds and the rest mostly in Total Stock Market.:

2012: 01.M
2013: 0.4M
2014: 0.7M
2015: 1.0M
2016: 1.4M
2017: 2.1M
2018: 2.3M
2019: 3.2M
2020: 4.1M
2021: 5.3M