Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
VAslim16

Milestone #2 250K

Post by VAslim16 »

Hi everybody,

Just wanted to post because I hit a mini milestone today. Checked my Vanguard account and my stock holdings were just over 100K. I know this is small for most people on here, but considering I started investing in March 2013 and don't make a huge salary (I'm a teacher) it's something I'm happy about. I will keep my overall portfolio at about 70/30 stock to bond and keep using VTI/VXUS at a 50/50 ratio. Really appreciate all your guys' help on here and hope the next milestone, 200K for the whole portfolio, occurs by summer 2K18.

Thanks again guys. Now I probably jinxed things and will be back under 100K in a few hours when the market opens.
Last edited by VAslim16 on Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
RadAudit
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'til morning

Re: Mini Milestone 100K

Post by RadAudit »

$100k isn't small. Congratulations.

And, don't worry about dropping below the number on market moves. I've been above and below my number more times than a yo-yo.
FI is the best revenge. LBYM. Invest the rest. Stay the course. Die anyway. - PS: The cavalry isn't coming, kids. You are on your own.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Congrats! Not a mini milestone as it means you are on your way to a good retirement.
Artisan

Post by Artisan »

That's a big accomplishment. You should be proud of it!
knpstr

Post by knpstr »

$100,000 is not small at all!
Way to go!
:beer
Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking. -Marcus Aurelius
dwickenh

Post by dwickenh »

Grats on the milestone, keep up the great savings rate- consistent savings is your best asset leading to retirement.

Dan
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett
iBogle

Post by iBogle »

Congrats! I remember reading somewhere that once you hit around the 100K mark is when you really start to see compounding interest work for you.
djpeteski

Post by djpeteski »

Well you are weird.

According to this article:
http://www.cnbc.com/2016/09/12/heres-ho ... ement.html

You are killing the median for all families and families with some savings. Also you are beating the mean. I feel like you are actually better off then the numbers would suggest as you probably also have a pension which will help you later in life.

Congratulations on being weird! Keep up the good work!
Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider »

I know I will sound like a broken record to some, but you are a fairly new BH so you get to hear it at least once. Arbitrary dollar amounts are not good milestones, because individual circumstances vary widely.

A number of zeros might feel good, but the better yardstick is a multiplier of your gross income (1X, 2X, 4X, 8X).

Once you get to about 8X the best yardstick will be a multiplier of your expenses in retirement. It is probably always the best yardstick, but it is hard to project what that might be early in the accumulation stage. X income is a good substitute as it should increase some range +- of the wage index.
Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider »

iBogle wrote:Congrats! I remember reading somewhere that once you hit around the 100K mark is when you really start to see compounding interest work for you.
This is why I don't like arbitrary dollar amounts. This is a behavioral finance issue. The amount of your portfolio has no bearing on the return.

It is just that the dollar changes are more quantifiable. The flip side of this has already been mentioned. When your portfolio gets larger the value swings get harder to ignore. First, it is your last car then your last year's salary and eventually, more than you paid for your house.
TX_Man

Post by TX_Man »

The first of anything is the most difficult. The first $10000, the first $100000, the first $1000000. Congratulations :sharebeer
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

VAslim 16. 100K is not an easy feat. I'm glad you made this big milestone.

Out of all the milestones, for some reason 100K was the one that got me the most excited.

So proud to call you my son! I'm proud of you.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

Congratulations. Sounds like an example right out of The Millionaire Next Door.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

Awesome! Congrats! :sharebeer
"Stay on target! Stay on target!"
Topic Author
VAslim16

Post by VAslim16 »

Spirit Rider wrote:I know I will sound like a broken record to some, but you are a fairly new BH so you get to hear it at least once. Arbitrary dollar amounts are not good milestones, because individual circumstances vary widely.

A number of zeros might feel good, but the better yardstick is a multiplier of your gross income (1X, 2X, 4X, 8X).

Once you get to about 8X the best yardstick will be a multiplier of your expenses in retirement. It is probably always the best yardstick, but it is hard to project what that might be early in the accumulation stage. X income is a good substitute as it should increase some range +- of the wage index.
Thank you for this Spirit. Gives me another measure to shoot for. :)
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

Congratulations! I'm 70/30 too. :)
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
TexasMu

Post by TexasMu »

Stay the course and don't look back ! Congrats :thumbsup :beer
marti038

Post by marti038 »

Congratulations. Keep up the good work.
“Having, first, gained all you can, and, secondly saved all you can, then give all you can.” - John Wesley
Finance-MD

Post by Finance-MD »

Congrats!
The first $100k is the hardest. And as people have noted... you are *WAY* ahead of the average.
On to the next $100k!
Silverado

Post by Silverado »

Congrats! Now don't look for a few days due to this blip today. Keep up the saving.
Alex Frakt
Founder

Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by Alex Frakt »

Following the discussions at viewtopic.php?f=3&t=237250, we are going to make this an omnibus thread for member announcements that they have reached a financial milestone such as achieving a million in net worth, aka, joining the 2 Comma Club, and member responses to those announcements. If we find new threads on this topic posted elsewhere, they will be merged here.

Please note that if your post is primarily a question about investing or personal finance strategy,, even if it includes a note about reaching a milestone, please post in the appropriate forums so they get individualized attention.
White Coat Investor

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by White Coat Investor »

Ha ha, good timing as we just did our annual net worth update. We hit our "number" this year. Yay us. But our most significant milestone for 2017 and the one we're most proud of was giving away more than we spent. I hope that will continue for many years.

And since I'm putting up the second post in this thread, I just wanted to say congratulations in advance to all who reached a big milestone. Celebrate them. They really are noteworthy accomplishments. I'm proud of you.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
TwstdSista

Post by TwstdSista »

Woo hoo WCI -- many congratulations!!
Snowjob

Post by Snowjob »

Wow congrats!! I feel like it was just 7 or 8 years ago you got out of residency.

I think one thing that I've learned more than anything else in the last 10 years when it comes to milestones, net worth and goal posts is that getting a great job matters a LOT. You can certainly save and bank on the stock market, but what drives you forward on the economic spectrum is your wealth relative to your peers. Yes I know your not supposed to worry about the Joneses but collectively you + all the Joneses make up the market place and set prices. If we all use the stock market we all have the same driver of returns so the only way to really get ahead is to save more and the with out question most important piece to that is how much you can earn. I hit a big milestone myself a year or so ago and relative to people of my income level it looks fantastic, but had I just chosen a different path, been more aggressive about my career in business etc I would be a significantly higher salary level and that milestone may not be nearly as impressive (nor would it have taken as much effort time and risk to get there).

Anyway thanks for posting. I wonder what Market Timer is up to these days. He and I were experimenting with (dying from??) leverage on the way down in 2008 and are near the same age as far as I can tell. Interesting to see his change in philosophy over time when it comes to money, work, spending the portfolio etc.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

I have part of a CD ladder maturing and the proceeds will help to rebalance my portfolio.
If not for the Bogleheads, and Jack Bogle, I would not know what "rebalance" meant.
j :D
Last edited by Sandtrap on Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
cinghiale

Post by cinghiale »

A milestone of sorts...

Now two full years into retirement, and have had the good fortune of strong market tailwinds since then. Stepping out of the accumulation phase, with the comfort and security of a monthly paycheck, and into the distribution phase, with the shuddering realization that the seed corn is being eaten, is an emotional and cognitive challenge. No matter how the numbers look on paper, there’s still a “stepping off the high diving board” feel to stopping work and beginning retirement.

The two year mark showed net portfolio appreciation of 7% in 2016 and 8% in 2017. With a conservative asset allocation of 35/60/5, and a withdrawal rate of right around 2.75%, we are off to a very good start. These first two years included many transitional expenses, and so I’m looking for a lower withdrawal rate for 2018. In sum, I think we have weathered the fear and trepidation season, and have reached the milestone of confidence in our retirement plans and decisions. As always, I want to recognize the wisdom of crowds in the collective insights, knowledge, and wisdom on daily display in this forum. :sharebeer to all.
"We don't see things as they are; we see them as we are." Anais Nin | | "Sometimes the first duty of intelligent men is the restatement of the obvious." George Orwell
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

cinghiale wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:32 am A milestone of sorts...

Now two full years into retirement, and have had the good fortune of strong market tailwinds since then. Stepping out of the accumulation phase, with the comfort and security of a monthly paycheck, and into the distribution phase, with the shuddering realization that the seed corn is being eaten, is an emotional and cognitive challenge. No matter how the numbers look on paper, there’s still a “stepping off the high diving board” feel to stopping work and beginning retirement.

The two year mark showed net portfolio appreciation of 7% in 2016 and 8% in 2017. With a conservative asset allocation of 35/60/5, and a withdrawal rate of right around 2.75%, we are off to a very good start. These first two years included many transitional expenses, and so I’m looking for a lower withdrawal rate for 2018. In sum, I think we have weathered the fear and trepidation season, and have reached the milestone of confidence in our retirement plans and decisions. As always, I want to recognize the wisdom of crowds in the collective insights, knowledge, and wisdom on daily display in this forum. :sharebeer to all.
Congratulations :sharebeer
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

White Coat Investor wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:34 am Ha ha, good timing as we just did our annual net worth update. We hit our "number" this year. Yay us. But our most significant milestone for 2017 and the one we're most proud of was giving away more than we spent. I hope that will continue for many years.

And since I'm putting up the second post in this thread, I just wanted to say congratulations in advance to all who reached a big milestone. Celebrate them. They really are noteworthy accomplishments. I'm proud of you.
Congratulations.
:sharebeer

I have sent your book to a nephew, fresh out of residency and into private practice.

Are you going to write another book?

White Coat Investor

Snowjob wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:28 am Wow congrats!! I feel like it was just 7 or 8 years ago you got out of residency.
Nearly 12 actually, but WCI knocked about a decade off the original plan. Probably would have knocked 4-5 years off even without WCI.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
White Coat Investor

Sandtrap wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:56 amAre you going to write another book?
Already did. It just needs to be packaged up and published. I sent it out to my email list a chaper at a time. You can still get it if you want- Financial Bootcamp.

My third one will be all about tax reduction, but I put it off when Congress started messing with the tax code last Fall. Hopefully I'll get it written this year. We'll see. Lots of pans in the fire right now.
Snowjob

Post by Snowjob »

Congrats -- That shift to withdrawals will be painful for me no doubt down the road. All in the head for sure, but it certainly makes the idea of a pension sound even more appealing than it already is -- to bad they don't exist anymore! Did you purchase an annuity to help with this transition, it may not make as much financial sense but sometimes I wonder if behavior wise its worth it...
cinghiale

Post by cinghiale »

Snowjob asked:
Did you purchase an annuity to help with this transition, it may not make as much financial sense but sometimes I wonder if behavior wise its worth it...
Yes, a small one that pays around $1750.00 per month for ten years. It will take me to 70.5 years old, almost to the month. The next question is when to take Social Security benefits. Past that, I would not be averse* to purchasing an annuity that would complete the job of covering core expenses. That seems to make good financial and common sense.

*Word choice just in case livesoft happens to drop in.
"We don't see things as they are; we see them as we are." Anais Nin | | "Sometimes the first duty of intelligent men is the restatement of the obvious." George Orwell
Meg77

Post by Meg77 »

Well I wasn't going to post this, but since I was prompted by this new thread title, here goes!

My husband and I surpassed a net worth of $2,000,000 yesterday for the first time. :moneybag

With bonuses pending and a strong savings rate, we should stay above this level even if/when the market corrects. In reality we've probably been here for a while due to RE values, but I list those at cost on my balance sheet so it's staring at me in print for the first time. We hit $1MM 3 years and 9 months ago (the month we got married), and we expect to hit $3MM in 3 more years (if there are no major market downturns or income gaps).

To be honest I haven't even told my husband yet, and I'm sure we won't do anything special to celebrate. I feel a bit selfish/guilty even being excited about this milestone. However it is a major one for me since I feel that it marks a true sense of financial independence. We can't retire now given our current spending level ($150k a year including our mortgage), but if we never earn or save another dollar we could downsize and live comfortably indefinitely. Similarly, if we quit saving and spent ever dollar we make from here on, we should be set for retirement . This slow realization has caused us to loosen up the spending reigns this past year. Basically anything we earn and save now is gravy.

My number one financial goal this year is to increase the amount that we give away. Our giving rate hasn't kept pace with our saving and spending increases over time.
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest." - Benjamin Franklin
Hayden

Post by Hayden »

I recently realized I had passed a significant milestone. The thing is, it wasn't MY milestone, in the sense that I had never contemplated hitting this number. Since I now find myself with more money than I need, I'm thinking more broadly about what to do with my money.
chicagoan23

Post by chicagoan23 »

This will be a very fun thread.....congrats to all.

We hit $2 million in assets last week for the first time. Subtract out the mortgage and a very low-rate student loan that I have no intention of paying off early, and our net worth hit $1.75 million for the first time. Financially secure, although not financially independent yet (at ages 42/39).
Last edited by chicagoan23 on Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The Basic Choices for Investors and the One We Strongly Prefer" | | https://www.berkshirehathaway.com/letters/2011ltr.pdf
Toons

Post by Toons »

To quote Bob Brinker,
My spouse and I are in the ,
"Land Of Critical Mass",and have been so for quite a while.
Keeping debt to a bare minimum,investing frequently(reinvesting)got us there.
Count Our Blessings Every Day.
:happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
jriding

Post by jriding »

Me and DW (46 and 45) joined the two comma club in December, counting only our retirement investments. Home equity and 529s are in the high six figures, but I'm more interested in building retirement assets, so I don't count those. We celebrated by spending $40 on a nice sushi dinner and haven't told anyone (not even our parents!).

I feel like our push toward this milestone began when I discovered Bogleheads soon after the 2008-2009 market crash. I also started a "Help Me!" thread in 2015 (viewtopic.php?t=173086) that I still refer to periodically. I'm so grateful to the folks that contributed to that thread. Not to mention the 1,000s of forum members that contribute to this incredible knowledge base.

I haven't tracked net worth over the years. I only know what I had in 2015 from the thread I referenced above.
2015: $650k
2018: $1,000k

In an attempt to provide something actionable, here are my lessons learned since discovering Bogleheads:
-Don't waste tax advantaged space. If you can't max it, at least increase your contributions as you get pay increases.
-Know how much your investments cost. Calculate your net investment costs (in dollars, not %) and seek cheaper alternatives. We moved DWs 403(b) and 401(a) accounts from TIAA-CREF to Fidelity and have saved thousands in fees.
-Minimize expenses. Regularly review all of your recurring bills, especially insurance, cell phone, and cable, and look for cheaper alternatives. Direct savings to your tax advantaged space.
-Keep it simple. We're about 80% Target Date Retirement funds with low ERs and 20% three fund portfolio (in an account that only has TDR funds with high ERs). Since it's all in tax-advantaged space the low ER TDR funds make sense.

Future Challenges:
-We don't have much "fungible" money. 2% of our assets are in a savings account and an HSA (that we're using as a retirement account). Everything else is in tax advantaged accounts, 529s, and home equity. We're hoping to build our after-tax savings starting this year.
-I need to chill out about our spending. We're meeting our savings goals, but I still freak out when unexpected expenses arise. And I have a hard time splurging or watching DW splurge on something (like shoes). My new mantra is, "we can afford it".
-The next crash. I didn't handle 2008-2009 well (I hadn't yet discovered BHs). I think I'll be disciplined, but getting kicked out of the two comma club will sting a little. :D

Thank you Bogleheads!
Last edited by jriding on Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ray.james

Post by ray.james »

White Coat Investor wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:15 pm My third one will be all about tax reduction, but I put it off when Congress started messing with the tax code last Fall. Hopefully I'll get it written this year. We'll see. Lots of pans in the fire right now.
Congratulations on hitting the number WCI. I hope your blog will transform many more doctors around the country as they pass the years of training and residency pauperism. (Being on that tax book this year! :P)

Meg, that's a big milestone, congratulations.
When in doubt, http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79939
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Toons wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:35 pm To quote Bob Brinker,
My spouse and I are in the ,
"Land Of Critical Mass",and have been so for quite a while.
Keeping debt to a bare minimum,investing frequently(reinvesting)got us there.
Count Our Blessings Every Day.
:happy
If you will. . . what is the "Land of Critical Mass"?
Never heard that before. . .

mahalo,
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Meg77 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:15 pm Well I wasn't going to post this, but since I was prompted by this new thread title, here goes!

My husband and I surpassed a net worth of $2,000,000 yesterday for the first time. :moneybag

With bonuses pending and a strong savings rate, we should stay above this level even if/when the market corrects. In reality we've probably been here for a while due to RE values, but I list those at cost on my balance sheet so it's staring at me in print for the first time. We hit $1MM 3 years and 9 months ago (the month we got married), and we expect to hit $3MM in 3 more years (if there are no major market downturns or income gaps).

To be honest I haven't even told my husband yet, and I'm sure we won't do anything special to celebrate. I feel a bit selfish/guilty even being excited about this milestone. However it is a major one for me since I feel that it marks a true sense of financial independence. We can't retire now given our current spending level ($150k a year including our mortgage), but if we never earn or save another dollar we could downsize and live comfortably indefinitely. Similarly, if we quit saving and spent ever dollar we make from here on, we should be set for retirement . This slow realization has caused us to loosen up the spending reigns this past year. Basically anything we earn and save now is gravy.

My number one financial goal this year is to increase the amount that we give away. Our giving rate hasn't kept pace with our saving and spending increases over time.
Heartfelt congratulations!
2-3 mil is nothing to sneeze at.. . 1 dollar at a time. . . :shock:
mahalo,
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

White Coat Investor wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:15 pm
Sandtrap wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:56 amAre you going to write another book?
Already did. It just needs to be packaged up and published. I sent it out to my email list a chaper at a time. You can still get it if you want- Financial Bootcamp.

My third one will be all about tax reduction, but I put it off when Congress started messing with the tax code last Fall. Hopefully I'll get it written this year. We'll see. Lots of pans in the fire right now.
When will "Financial Bootcamp" be out for pre-order?.
My Doc Nephew really liked your other book. I want to get him one as well as one for me.
Lot's of docs in my family.
mahalo,
j
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

Folks,

2017 will be the first year that my portfolio growth matched my gross income. All I need is 2 more years like this.

KlangFool
30% VWENX | 16% VFWAX/VTIAX | 14.5% VTSAX | 19.5% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 30% Wellington 50% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

KlangFool wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:20 pm Folks,

2017 will be the first year that my portfolio growth matched my gross income. All I need is 2 more years like this.

KlangFool

Congratulations! Your post just prompted me to look and I met the same number. :)
Shikoku

Post by Shikoku »

By the end of 2017, we hit a milestone. In one year, our tax-sheltered part of the portfolio has grown by $180K of which $76K are contributions and rest are market gains. This is the largest growth this single-income family have seen in our retirement saving in any one year period.
"I don't worry too much about pointing fingers at the past. I operate on the theory that every saint has a past, every sinner has a future." -- Warren Buffett
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

Snowjob wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:41 pm

Congrats -- That shift to withdrawals will be painful for me no doubt down the road. All in the head for sure, but it certainly makes the idea of a pension sound even more appealing than it already is -- to bad they don't exist anymore! Did you purchase an annuity to help with this transition, it may not make as much financial sense but sometimes I wonder if behavior wise its worth it...
It has just occurred to me that part of the discomfort of "the seed corn is being eaten" is that it is an acknowledgement that no, you are not going to live forever. (I, too, have joined the ranks of decumulators.)
White Coat Investor

Meg77 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:15 pmTo be honest I haven't even told my husband yet, and I'm sure we won't do anything special to celebrate. I feel a bit selfish/guilty even being excited about this milestone.
# 1 Go celebrate. We don't celebrate enough. You can certainly afford it.
# 2 Don't feel guilty about having the opportunity, only about what you do with the opportunity. For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required. It's a weighty responsibility to be wealthy. But there is no reason to feel guilty about working hard, earning money, saving money, investing well etc. So long as you didn't cheat someone to get your wealth, it isn't "filthy." But you're still responsible for what you do with it. Spend a little, save a little, give a little.
cfs

Post by cfs »

Thanks for the omnibus thread, and congratulations to our shipmate White Coat Investor for hitting his number, and thanks for giving much more, good on you. I look forward to many "I hit the number" sitreps here. Good luck to all forum members, and thanks for reading ~cfs~
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~
TwstdSista

Post by TwstdSista »

This is a great thread!

We hit a new round number for our net worth this past year. It was kind of a non-event -- which is the actual milestone. Meh, okay?

We have overall goals since I'm very goal-oriented. But for now, my goal is just funding our retirement accounts. One Roth at a time!
SGM

Post by SGM »

We also hit a new round number and the portfolio increased by a round number by the last week of 2017. It will be fun to see if this continues in 2018. It will if the S&P increases by my optimistic guestimate in 2018. :D This bragging thread reminds me of my high school days.
dekecarver

Post by dekecarver »

This post prompted me to take a look last night as I'm kinda a set it and forget it type of investor. 1) I had a smile on my face last night, 2) I realized I needed to do some re-balancing, 3) Portfolio growth exceeded what we contribute on a yearly basis and exceeded what are combined salaries are (blue collar salaries), and 4) There is a sense of pride (not snobbery) achieving 2 commas based on simple saving, simple investing, and simply being quiet about it.