Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
MotoTrojan

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by MotoTrojan »

I haven't been as active on this forum lately but I have to thank it immensely for making me the investor I am today. I have learned an immense amount (and continue to every day) and it has forever changed how I look at money. I may not be the perfect Boglehead anymore, but I am at-least fully systematic :twisted:. I hope that I have helped others in their investment knowledge journey as much as those that joined before me have I.

Anyway... as of this morning we are officially liquid millionaires, and I'll be doing a lump-sum investment tomorrow (I've shamed too many people for wanting to DCA to do it myself) that is equivalent to 4x our current portfolio. I got here with a lot of hard work, and a good bit of luck, in joining a budding start-up as an early employee and having immense appreciation in my equity options, which have just proved semi-liquid (was able to sell 20%). Some close friends know the details, but I don't plan to tell any family members, so I am glad this thread exists to share with you all.

Next stop is $1M in our investment accounts! I hope to be able to tap the rest of that equity in the next couple of years as well, and use that financial independence to slow down at work, and maybe even change careers (finance anyone?!?).

:sharebeer
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

MotoTrojan wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:40 pm I haven't been as active on this forum lately but I have to thank it immensely for making me the investor I am today. I have learned an immense amount (and continue to every day) and it has forever changed how I look at money. I may not be the perfect Boglehead anymore, but I am at-least fully systematic :twisted:. I hope that I have helped others in their investment knowledge journey as much as those that joined before me have I.

Anyway... as of this morning we are officially liquid millionaires, and I'll be doing a lump-sum investment tomorrow (I've shamed too many people for wanting to DCA to do it myself) that is equivalent to 4x our current portfolio. I got here with a lot of hard work, and a good bit of luck, in joining a budding start-up as an early employee and having immense appreciation in my equity options, which have just proved semi-liquid (was able to sell 20%). Some close friends know the details, but I don't plan to tell any family members, so I am glad this thread exists to share with you all.

Next stop is $1M in our investment accounts! I hope to be able to tap the rest of that equity in the next couple of years as well, and use that financial independence to slow down at work, and maybe even change careers (finance anyone?!?).

Congratulations! I’m very happy for your success. Your hard work, discipline, and willingness to learn and adapt heave paid off handsomely. Well done!
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

MotoTrojan wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:40 pm I haven't been as active on this forum lately but I have to thank it immensely for making me the investor I am today. I have learned an immense amount (and continue to every day) and it has forever changed how I look at money. I may not be the perfect Boglehead anymore, but I am at-least fully systematic :twisted:. I hope that I have helped others in their investment knowledge journey as much as those that joined before me have I.

Congratulations on hitting your milestones!

It sounds like you’ve been able to cash in some options from your start-up job. You’re doing a wise thing in investing the proceeds.

Hopefully, your employer will continue to prosper and you’ll be able to reap more rewards from your remaining options.

Again, congratulations, and best to you.
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

MotoTrojan wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:40 pm . . . . .
Anyway... as of this morning we are officially liquid millionaires, and I'll be doing a lump-sum investment tomorrow . . . . .

Congratulations :D
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
Tamarind

Post by Tamarind »

It would appear wife and I (35/33) crossed $1M net worth this week. A bit less than $600k of that is investments. We won't stay up there, given our plans for a big home reno next year, but it's nice to see the compounding picking up steam after 12 years of saving separately and together.
jarjarM

Post by jarjarM »

Tamarind wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:55 pm It would appear wife and I (35/33) crossed $1M net worth this week. A bit less than $600k of that is investments. We won't stay up there, given our plans for a big home reno next year, but it's nice to see the compounding picking up steam after 12 years of saving separately and together.
Congrats :beer
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Tamarind wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:55 pm It would appear wife and I (35/33) crossed $1M net worth this week. A bit less than $600k of that is investments. We won't stay up there, given our plans for a big home reno next year, but it's nice to see the compounding picking up steam after 12 years of saving separately and together.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
RotzehMasayim

700K MILESTONE

Post by RotzehMasayim »

Hit 700k milestone today thanks to TSLA! :sharebeer
RotzehMasayim wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:14 pm Just Hit 600k! :sharebeer
RotzehMasayim wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:41 pm Hit 550k this week! :moneybag

Happy about the quick rise from 500k -> 550k (My TSLA position is helping that out...)

The market has been much better than I expected after the election.
RotzehMasayim wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:30 pm Today I hit the 500k Milestone! :sharebeer :moneybag :moneybag

davidsorensen32

Post by davidsorensen32 »

Hit $4M today. Age: 44. Thankful to Uncle Sam, VTSAX, good fortune and everyone here for excellent guidance. In the spirit of giving back here is my progress:

$2.2 : 2018 | S&P -4%
$2.7 : 2019 | S&P 31%
$3.2 : 2020 | S&P 18%
$4.0 : 2021 | S&P 21%

Compound interest really works :sharebeer. Stay the course everyone.
Ice-9

Post by Ice-9 »

Age 48. Not sure where to count crossing over into the Two-Comma Club, but...

* Net worth including mortgage and Zestimate got two commas in mid-2020
* Liquid investible assets topped that mark a few months ago
* Assets in portfolio consisting of all retirement accounts just hit the mark this week

Of course, after reading Millionaire Next Door way back when I was first getting into Bogleheadism and setting up my portfolio, part of me wants to not count myself as part of the Club until I meet the criteria listed in the book in publishing year 1996 dollars, which is approximately $1,750,000 in late 2021. So, I guess that's my next milestone to push towards. :happy
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Ice-9 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:46 am Age 48. Not sure where to count crossing over into the Two-Comma Club, but...

* Assets in portfolio consisting of all retirement accounts just hit the mark this week

Of course, after reading Millionaire Next Door way back when I was first getting into Bogleheadism and setting up my portfolio, part of me wants to not count myself as part of the Club until I meet the criteria listed in the book in publishing year 1996 dollars, which is approximately $1,750,000 in late 2021. So, I guess that's my next milestone to push towards. :happy
Congratulations.

"Liquid investible assets topped that mark", a few months ago is the most common test.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Ice-9 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:46 am Age 48. Not sure where to count crossing over into the Two-Comma Club, but...

By any measure, you're a millionaire.

Congratulations!
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
LateStarter1975

Post by LateStarter1975 »

davidsorensen32 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:54 am Hit $4M today. Age: 44. Thankful to Uncle Sam, VTSAX, good fortune and everyone here for excellent guidance. In the spirit of giving back here is my progress:

Very impressive! Compound interest is a wonderful thing. Congratulations on your success
Debt is dangerous...simple is beautiful
jarjarM

Post by jarjarM »

davidsorensen32 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:54 am Hit $4M today. Age: 44. Thankful to Uncle Sam, VTSAX, good fortune and everyone here for excellent guidance. In the spirit of giving back here is my progress:

Congrats! So have you change your mind on buying a house in bayarea yet? :beer
carminered2019

Post by carminered2019 »

Congrats to everyone !!!
PhillyPhan

Post by PhillyPhan »

Congratulations, your story is very inspiring!

I think you have a strong chance at deca-millionaire if you decide to keep at it and markets continue to run.
Wannaretireearly

Post by Wannaretireearly »

Such an inspiring thread. One of the best!

Congrats on your recent milestones. I’m working on my first (and probably) only million in taxable! Looking forward to posting and celebrating this hard to get milestone!
“At some point you are trading time you will never get back for money you will never spend.“ | “How do you want to spend the best remaining year of your life?“
phase03

Post by phase03 »

I just started getting a handle on all things financial this summer and what really helped was putting all our accounts in Mint. I was pleasantly shocked to see our net worth (including $350,000 paid off house) was high six figures. I started investing and sure enough Mint tells me we reached $1,000,000 a couple days ago. Unfortunately we only lasted one day as millionaires, but no sweat because a day later we were millionaires again. :D
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

phase03 wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:13 pm Unfortunately we only lasted one day as millionaires, but no sweat because a day later we were millionaires again. :D
So I guess you can say you're "multi" millionaires then? :D
"Stay on target! Stay on target!"
phase03

Post by phase03 »

JupiterJones wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:57 am
phase03 wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:13 pm Unfortunately we only lasted one day as millionaires, but no sweat because a day later we were millionaires again. :D
So I guess you can say you're "multi" millionaires then? :D
Lol I like the sound of that!
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

You might “lose it” a few more times in upcoming days/weeks/months.

But it sounds like you’re on an upward trajectory, and you’ll soon be comfortably in the “two comma”’club.

Congratulations and best to you.
davidsorensen32

I'm glad you find it inspiring, however if you look closely, its mostly the markets propelled by the Fed $$ printing machine. I intentionally quoted the S&P indexes side by side so that the correlation is clear. I actually ended up spending most of my earnings last 4 years.
PhillyPhan wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:43 pm
Congratulations, your story is very inspiring!

I think you have a strong chance at deca-millionaire if you decide to keep at it and markets continue to run.
davidsorensen32

No, moved out of the Bay Area. Got a lower paying job in a LCOL and ended up spending most of my after tax earnings. Quite un-bogleheads I know. But after a high-earning, high-spending lifestyle, I'm finding it hard to reduce my spending even though my earnings have dropped significantly. Without the markets cooperating, I would have had a flat networth over the last several years.
jarjarM wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:16 pm
code dreamer

Post by code dreamer »

Very late financial bloomer. Started learning about finance from Dec 2020 and came to know about Bogleheads 3 months back. Learnt so much in the past year. It is little sad to think that I started learning and understand finance so late in life (better late than never!).

Reached 1.1M (which includes 320k Paid-off house) today at 38 years. Single earner, DW is a homemaker, 2 kids(10y and 12y).

Everyone says the first million is the hard part, so hoping the second million comes sooner! Goal is to get to 3M (my FAT FIRE number) by 45.

Thanks all the wisdom bogleheads!
CletusCaddy

Post by CletusCaddy »

code dreamer wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:33 pm Very late financial bloomer. Started learning about finance from Dec 2020 and came to know about Bogleheads 3 months back. Learnt so much in the past year. It is little sad to think that I started learning and understand finance so late in life (better late than never!).

Reached 1.1M (which includes 320k Paid-off house) today at 38 years. Single earner, DW is a homemaker, 2 kids(10y and 12y).

Everyone says the first million is the hard part, so hoping the second million comes sooner! Goal is to get to 3M (my FAT FIRE number) by 45.

Thanks all the wisdom bogleheads!
Wow $1M to $3M in only 7 years? How much are you saving?
code dreamer

Post by code dreamer »

CletusCaddy wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:38 pm Wow $1M to $3M in only 7 years? How much are you saving?
Not saving much actually, just an ambitious goal of 3M.

The past year I have been saving around 4k per month (in addition to employment 401k and HSA) + any additional bonuses. DW is also planning to do some part time work from mid next year, so i am hoping that will help too. In addition, I am putting a lot of faith in the market over the next 7 years.
CletusCaddy

Post by CletusCaddy »

code dreamer wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:45 pm
CletusCaddy wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:38 pm Wow $1M to $3M in only 7 years? How much are you saving?
Not saving much actually, just an ambitious goal of 3M.

The past year I have been saving around 4k per month (in addition to employment 401k and HSA) + any additional bonuses. DW is also planning to do some part time work from mid next year, so i am hoping that will help too. In addition, I am putting a lot of faith in the market over the next 7 years.
I like your optimism.

I'm relying on 10% market returns as well. $2.1M to $5M in five years, investing $250k/yr.
code dreamer

Post by code dreamer »

CletusCaddy wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:54 pm I like your optimism.

I'm relying on 10% market returns as well. $2.1M to $5M in five years, investing $250k/yr.
Awesome all the best!
Carson

Post by Carson »

40-yo, hit $1m this morning. I had to resize the column width on my Asset Allocation spreadsheet. :beer

Neither spouse or self are particularly high earners, in fact one went to school for awhile and the other downshifted to raise kids. Grateful that I saved early in the working years, kept our lifestyle in check and had family help when kids were little. Goal is for spouse to pension out in 5-8 years, and downshift a bit more.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

Carson wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:07 am 40-yo, hit $1m this morning. I had to resize the column width on my Asset Allocation spreadsheet. :beer

Neither spouse or self are particularly high earners, in fact one went to school for awhile and the other downshifted to raise kids. Grateful that I saved early in the working years, kept our lifestyle in check and had family help when kids were little. Goal is for spouse to pension out in 5-8 years, and downshift a bit more.
Congratulations, that is awesome! Keep it up!
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Carson wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:07 am 40-yo, hit $1m this morning. I had to resize the column width on my Asset Allocation spreadsheet. :beer

Congratulations, lifestyle in check, moderate earnings, two comma club in a single earner household :D
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

$100k is a great milestone! Most of us don’t add an extra zero to the portfolio many times. I certainly never will add another, short of a Powerball win.
BH Consumer FAQ: | Car? Used Toyota, Lexus or Miata. | House? 20% down and 3x salary. | Vacation house? No. | Umbrella? $1 million. | Goods? Costco.
BrklynMike

Post by BrklynMike »

After 11.5 years of work and saving, I finally made the two comma club. And I did it one year shy of my goal (39 instead of 40).

The first $100k was the hardest (took almost 4 years), and the first $300k felt like the biggest milestone (took around 6). After that, it just came easy. Everything is on autopilot now and I don't spend much time thinking about things at all.

The biggest contributing factor to the increase in speed was getting my wife on board. Took about five years of haggling but when she started maxing her 401k as well, things really picked up speed. And we got reasonably lucky in real estate purchases. Of course, a big thank you goes to this forum and moderators. Somehow I found this fountain of wisdom about 3 years into my journey and the three fund portfolio just made sense to me. Thanks to all of you for your contributions, and old Saint Jack!
"In a world of uncertainty, one should focus more on the consequences than the probabilities." - Benjamin Graham
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

BrklynMike wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:14 am After 11.5 years of work and saving, I finally made the two comma club. And I did it one year shy of my goal (39 instead of 40).

The first $100k was the hardest (took almost 4 years), and the first $300k felt like the biggest milestone (took around 6). After that, it just came easy. Everything is on autopilot now and I don't spend much time thinking about things at all.

The biggest contributing factor to the increase in speed was getting my wife on board. Took about five years of haggling but when she started maxing her 401k as well, things really picked up speed. And we got reasonably lucky in real estate purchases. Of course, a big thank you goes to this forum and moderators. Somehow I found this fountain of wisdom about 3 years into my journey and the three fund portfolio just made sense to me. Thanks to all of you for your contributions, and old Saint Jack!
Congratulations on being a millionaire before the age of 40!

I agree that having both spouses on the same page about financial matters makes accumulating wealth much easier.

Again, congratulations.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

BrklynMike wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:14 am After 11.5 years of work and saving, I finally made the two comma club. And I did it one year shy of my goal (39 instead of 40).

Congratulations :D .
bernina

Post by bernina »

For the first time on Friday we added the word multi in front of millionaire 🥳

I officially joined this forum in 2019 and had been reading for a few years before that. Prior to that time we were on what I call basic savings auto pilot. We both aimed to max out our 401k and Roth each year but really didn't have a plan beyond that. We were doing fine but I wasn't tracking our net worth or really thinking beyond the next 5-10 year horizon. I also had our accounts invested in way too many funds so they were definitely not optimized. Thanks to this forum I posted for a portfolio review in Feb of 2020 (talk about timing) and rebalanced our accounts to a much more simplified portfolio. I also created an IPS and determined our target asset allocation (75/25).

Info: Me 44, DH 49, DD 10.
Net worth progress (excludes equity in house, includes mortgage debt):
2018: $0.9M
2019: $1.1M
2020: $1.6M
Oct 2021: $2M

Approx Savings rate (including taxes as expense / excluding taxes):
2018: 39% / 51%
2019: 40% / 53%
2020: 48% / 62 %
2021 est: 48% / 62%

A huge thank you to all on this forum, to say you've played a huge role in working towards our retirement savings goals would be an understatement.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

bernina wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:15 am For the first time on Friday we added the word multi in front of millionaire 🥳
. . . .

Approx Savings rate (including taxes as expense / excluding taxes):
2018: 39% / 51%
2019: 40% / 53%
2020: 48% / 62 %
2021 est: 48% / 62%
. . . . .
Congratulations, that's an excellent savings rate :D .
LiterallyIronic

Post by LiterallyIronic »

With the strong October we just had, our net worth (including home equity), just reached $500,000. I'm 37, but have only been out of college for five years (as of next month).
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

LiterallyIronic wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:11 am With the strong October we just had, our net worth (including home equity), just reached $500,000. I'm 37, but have only been out of college for five years (as of next month).
jarjarM

Post by jarjarM »

davidsorensen32 wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:50 pm No, moved out of the Bay Area. Got a lower paying job in a LCOL and ended up spending most of my after tax earnings. Quite un-bogleheads I know. But after a high-earning, high-spending lifestyle, I'm finding it hard to reduce my spending even though my earnings have dropped significantly. Without the markets cooperating, I would have had a flat networth over the last several years.
jarjarM wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:16 pm
Oh congrats on getting out of the bayarea rat race :beer I'm sure there's a reduction in stress. Hey YOLO, so enjoy the fruit of your labor as much as you want :D
Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

Excluding home equity, we just reached $1m in investments/cash (net worth including home equity is at about $1.7m). We’re in our mid-40s and live in the Bay Area. I’m a public-school teacher, my wife is a stay-at-home parent, and we have a seven-year-old. We lead low-stress lives as my wife is likely already retired and I work 180 days per year at a job I love. I’m planning to semi-retire at 55 (go down to working 100 days per year) and fully retire around age 60. I’m expecting a six-figure pension with COLA as well. 15 years ago, we had a negative net worth and I didn’t think we’d ever be in this position. We might do something like go out for steaks to celebrate this one (we didn’t do anything when net worth reached $1m two years ago).
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

Ron Ronnerson wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:35 pm Excluding home equity, we just reached $1m in investments/cash (net worth including home equity is at about $1.7m). We’re in our mid-40s and live in the Bay Area. I’m a public-school teacher, my wife is a stay-at-home parent, and we have a seven-year-old. We lead low-stress lives as my wife is likely already retired and I work 180 days per year at a job I love. I’m planning to semi-retire at 55 (go down to working 100 days per year) and fully retire around age 60. I’m expecting a six-figure pension with COLA as well. 15 years ago, we had a negative net worth and I didn’t think we’d ever be in this position. We might do something like go out for steaks to celebrate this one (we didn’t do anything when net worth reached $1m two years ago).
Great work Ron Ronnerson! Always enjoy your posts and your resourcefulness. Keep up the great work!
Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

Normchad wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:42 pm
Ron Ronnerson wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:35 pm Excluding home equity, we just reached $1m in investments/cash (net worth including home equity is at about $1.7m). We’re in our mid-40s and live in the Bay Area. I’m a public-school teacher, my wife is a stay-at-home parent, and we have a seven-year-old. We lead low-stress lives as my wife is likely already retired and I work 180 days per year at a job I love. I’m planning to semi-retire at 55 (go down to working 100 days per year) and fully retire around age 60. I’m expecting a six-figure pension with COLA as well. 15 years ago, we had a negative net worth and I didn’t think we’d ever be in this position. We might do something like go out for steaks to celebrate this one (we didn’t do anything when net worth reached $1m two years ago).
Great work Ron Ronnerson! Always enjoy your posts and your resourcefulness. Keep up the great work!
Thanks Normchad!
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

You’re doing awesomely well! Achieving a $1.7 million net worth, on a single middle-class salary, in a very high cost of living area, is just great.

It sounds like you’ve got a good track ahead of you as you move toward retirement. And that pension should give you a lot of comfort in your senior years.

Congratulations!
Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

Stinky wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:23 pm
You’re doing awesomely well! Achieving a $1.7 million net worth, on a single middle-class salary, in a very high cost of living area, is just great.

It sounds like you’ve got a good track ahead of you as you move toward retirement. And that pension should give you a lot of comfort in your senior years.

Congratulations!
Thanks! I owe much gratitude to the people on this forum, from whom I’ve learned a great deal. Threads like this one have served as motivation over the years and I feel like it’s led us to the place where we find ourselves.
jarjarM

Post by jarjarM »

Congrats, you're always an inspiration to all that wish to live in HCOL area without the need for dual high tech income :beer
Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

jarjarM wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:43 pm
Congrats, you're always an inspiration to all that wish to live in HCOL area without the need for dual high tech income :beer
Thanks jarjar! I really appreciate it. We've tried to keep low overhead and that seems to have served us okay.
jarjarM

Post by jarjarM »

Ron Ronnerson wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:49 pm
jarjarM wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:43 pm Congrats, you're always an inspiration to all that wish to live in HCOL area without the need for dual high tech income :beer
Thanks jarjar! I really appreciate it. We've tried to keep low overhead and that seems to have served us okay.
Yeah, you really demonstrate the value of understand tax code and utilizing pre-tax contribution to control tax impacts.
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Ron Ronnerson,

Outstanding job and congratulations to you and your wife!
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"
Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

Raymond wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:24 pm Ron Ronnerson,

Outstanding job and congratulations to you and your wife!
Thanks, Raymond!