Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
ruralavalon

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by ruralavalon »

Ron Ronnerson wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:35 pm Excluding home equity, we just reached $1m in investments/cash (net worth including home equity is at about $1.7m). We’re in our mid-40s and live in the Bay Area. I’m a public-school teacher, my wife is a stay-at-home parent, and we have a seven-year-old. We lead low-stress lives as my wife is likely already retired and I work 180 days per year at a job I love. I’m planning to semi-retire at 55 (go down to working 100 days per year) and fully retire around age 60. I’m expecting a six-figure pension with COLA as well. 15 years ago, we had a negative net worth and I didn’t think we’d ever be in this position. We might do something like go out for steaks to celebrate this one (we didn’t do anything when net worth reached $1m two years ago).
Congratulations :) .

The two comma club in investments, in your mid-40s, in high cost of living area, in a single earner household with a child is an outstanding accomplishment :D .
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

ruralavalon wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:49 am
Ron Ronnerson wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:35 pm Excluding home equity, we just reached $1m in investments/cash (net worth including home equity is at about $1.7m). We’re in our mid-40s and live in the Bay Area. I’m a public-school teacher, my wife is a stay-at-home parent, and we have a seven-year-old. We lead low-stress lives as my wife is likely already retired and I work 180 days per year at a job I love. I’m planning to semi-retire at 55 (go down to working 100 days per year) and fully retire around age 60. I’m expecting a six-figure pension with COLA as well. 15 years ago, we had a negative net worth and I didn’t think we’d ever be in this position. We might do something like go out for steaks to celebrate this one (we didn’t do anything when net worth reached $1m two years ago).
Congratulations :) .

The two comma club in investments, in your mid-40s, in high cost of living area, in a single earner household with a child is an outstanding accomplishment :D .
Thanks very much!
PhillyPhan

Post by PhillyPhan »

bernina wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:15 am For the first time on Friday we added the word multi in front of millionaire 🥳

I officially joined this forum in 2019 and had been reading for a few years before that. Prior to that time we were on what I call basic savings auto pilot. We both aimed to max out our 401k and Roth each year but really didn't have a plan beyond that. We were doing fine but I wasn't tracking our net worth or really thinking beyond the next 5-10 year horizon. I also had our accounts invested in way too many funds so they were definitely not optimized. Thanks to this forum I posted for a portfolio review in Feb of 2020 (talk about timing) and rebalanced our accounts to a much more simplified portfolio. I also created an IPS and determined our target asset allocation (75/25).

Info: Me 44, DH 49, DD 10.
Net worth progress (excludes equity in house, includes mortgage debt):
2018: $0.9M
2019: $1.1M
2020: $1.6M
Oct 2021: $2M

Approx Savings rate (including taxes as expense / excluding taxes):
2018: 39% / 51%
2019: 40% / 53%
2020: 48% / 62 %
2021 est: 48% / 62%

A huge thank you to all on this forum, to say you've played a huge role in working towards our retirement savings goals would be an understatement.
:sharebeer
Congrats on 2 million! The 2019-2021 timeframe for the second million is phenomenal! 2 million is our next big milestone, any tips?
kelvor

Post by kelvor »

Need to share this with someone since my wife and I don't feel comfortable sharing with anyone we know in person, but are so excited!

We just hit the $1m mark in net worth (including home equity) today after a nice bonus at work tipped us over the edge! I am 35 and my wife is 31. I discovered this forum and read the Boglehead's Guide to Investing right after we got married. We've been diligently budgeting and saving and living below our means ever since and it's really paid off. Now to get to $1m just in investments!

:D :D :D
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

kelvor wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:34 pm Need to share this with someone since my wife and I don't feel comfortable sharing with anyone we know in person, but are so excited!

We just hit the $1m mark in net worth (including home equity) today after a nice bonus at work tipped us over the edge! I am 35 and my wife is 31. I discovered this forum and read the Boglehead's Guide to Investing right after we got married. We've been diligently budgeting and saving and living below our means ever since and it's really paid off. Now to get to $1m just in investments!

Welcome to the club! :sharebeer
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

kelvor wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:34 pm Need to share this with someone since my wife and I don't feel comfortable sharing with anyone we know in person, but are so excited!

A millionaire at age 35! It sounds like you’re doing all the right things.

Congratulations!
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
Darth Xanadu

Post by Darth Xanadu »

My spreadsheet has always tracked investable assets. But since I bought a house this year, I figured I'd add in a calc that includes home equity. Then I fell down the rabbit hole of how the heck to determine that, and landed on the lower of (i) average of Zillow, Redfin, Realtor, and Trulia estimates (if such amount is less than purchase price), or (ii) average of purchase price and the result of (i), if purchase price is less than the result of (i).

I know, it's unreasonably complicated.

Anyway, this week I saw this net worth figure break the $2m mark. Age 44, spouse 37. Looking forward to the time when my investable assets breaks that barrier. It's unreal when I look back at year-end 2015 and see <$600k in that column and realized it's tripled in 6 years. If only I could sustain this, I'd be set!!
ship_at_sea

Post by ship_at_sea »

Every Friday I update my retirement balances in YNAB. Last Friday I was at $743k, so I was optimistic that this Friday might hit $750k. I actually hit $755k! :D

37M and I don't have anyone to tell. My girlfriend is very frugal, but hasn't always been that way and is playing catch-up and I think it might mess with the relationship dynamics if she knew this accomplishment. We're talking about buying a house next year though, so when that happens I expect to lay all the cards on the table. It would be nice to have someone to celebrate stuff like this with.

I guess I could send a text to my ex-wife :twisted:
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

Darth Xanadu wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:11 pm My spreadsheet has always tracked investable assets. But since I bought a house this year, I figured I'd add in a calc that includes home equity. Then I fell down the rabbit hole of how the heck to determine that, and landed on the lower of (i) average of Zillow, Redfin, Realtor, and Trulia estimates (if such amount is less than purchase price), or (ii) average of purchase price and the result of (i), if purchase price is less than the result of (i).

I know, it's unreasonably complicated.

Anyway, this week I saw this net worth figure break the $2m mark. Age 44, spouse 37. Looking forward to the time when my investable assets breaks that barrier. It's unreal when I look back at year-end 2015 and see <$600k in that column and realized it's tripled in 6 years. If only I could sustain this, I'd be set!!
Awesome! You are only 44 and in awesome shape. Please post back in another six years; I’m sure your progress will be amazing.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

ship_at_sea wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:29 am Every Friday I update my retirement balances in YNAB. Last Friday I was at $743k, so I was optimistic that this Friday might hit $750k. I actually hit $755k! :D

37M and I don't have anyone to tell. My girlfriend is very frugal, but hasn't always been that way and is playing catch-up and I think it might mess with the relationship dynamics if she knew this accomplishment. We're talking about buying a house next year though, so when that happens I expect to lay all the cards on the table. It would be nice to have someone to celebrate stuff like this with.

I guess I could send a text to my ex-wife :twisted:
You’re doing fabulous. And this a common Boglehead problem; we can only share these milestones with internet strangers. But that’s how it goes. This internet stranger is proud of you. Keep up the great work, and all the best!
WhatsIRR

Post by WhatsIRR »

Our taxable account hit $500k this week, my RSUs have done great this year helping drive the value up. My next goal is to get it to $1M in 5 years.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

WhatsIRR wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:17 pm Our taxable account hit $500k this week, my RSUs have done great this year helping drive the value up. My next goal is to get it to $1M in 5 years.
That’s just great. Congratulations!

Let us know when you hit the two comma club.
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
broncocountry25

Post by broncocountry25 »

Hit $1.2 million this month :shock: and on track to have our best income year ever.

Very grateful as I just started a family this year and life is going to get more expensive.

Glad I got a head start with financial education/investing and think I am going to build extra cash up into the new year, lets see where the year finishes!

:sharebeer
Tdubs

Post by Tdubs »

Reached two comma club in my tax-advantaged accounts for the first time today.

Wanted to post this now in case the market isn't so kind next week.
10 percent

Post by 10 percent »

1. We just crossed over $800k this week - $809k
2. Next milestone - 1M.....hoping in 18-24 months
3. Auto invest - $4900 mo
4. Stock/Bond allocation - 75/25
5. Funds - VTSAX /VFIAX / TSP C/G Fund
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

10 percent wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:51 am 1. We just crossed over $800k this week - $809k
It is great to see a long time board member doing so well. Congratulations! It must feel very gratifying.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

Tdubs wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:11 am Reached two comma club in my tax-advantaged accounts for the first time today.

Wow! What a great accomplishment. The markets have just been crazy lately, so we might all get a second chance to hit these milestones a second time. Keep up the great work!
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Tdubs wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:11 am Reached two comma club in my tax-advantaged accounts for the first time today.

Congratulations! That's a major milestone.

Yes, Mr. Market giveth, and Mr. Market (sometimes) taketh way. But over the long run, Mr. Market has been kind to those who save and invest prudently.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

10 percent wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:51 am 1. We just crossed over $800k this week - $809k
That's a great accomplishment.

And what a savings rate - almost $60k per year! If the market doesn't turn sour on you, you should achieve your next milestone pretty close to your schedule.
Zeno

Post by Zeno »

Yesterday we officially reached 50X in liquid investments, having been at 47X just a few months ago.

Over the past 12 months, our roughly 65/33/2 portfolio has generated five times what I earn in salary.

We are definitely in the snowball phase of a lazy portfolio. It took about three decades to get to this point, but it is amazing to watch. It is like a living organism.
10 percent

Post by 10 percent »

Normchad wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:01 am
It is great to see a long time board member doing so well. Congratulations! It must feel very gratifying.
Very much gratifying....we've been blessed - thanks!
10 percent

Post by 10 percent »

Stinky wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:19 am
That's a great accomplishment.

And what a savings rate - almost $60k per year! If the market doesn't turn sour on you, you should achieve your next milestone pretty close to your schedule.
Thanks - that's the plan! if it's longer - we'll keep auto investing :happy
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Congratulations :D .

You can't beat the combination of a high savings rate and a rising market.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
fatcoffeedrinker

Post by fatcoffeedrinker »

Deleted
Last edited by fatcoffeedrinker on Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

fatcoffeedrinker wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:41 am We just hit $6M in investable assets and $7.4M total net worth (including paid-off house). Crazy that the investable NW at the low of COVID (3/23/2020) was $3.2M. That increase was about 50% in gains (with a 45/55 portfolio plus some HFEA on the side) and 50% in new contributions.

Can't wait for retirement at the end of 2022!
Congrats, you are now in the million-dollars-each-year club!
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

fatcoffeedrinker wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:41 am We just hit $6M in investable assets and $7.4M total net worth (including paid-off house). Crazy that the investable NW at the low of COVID (3/23/2020) was $3.2M. That increase was about 50% in gains (with a 45/55 portfolio plus some HFEA on the side) and 50% in new contributions.

Can't wait for retirement at the end of 2022!
That’s excellent. Congratulations!

Posts like yours show the wisdom of “staying the course”, even when times seem the darkest.
ranger3

Post by ranger3 »

My wife and I just reached $100k in combined retirement account balances. We both turned 25 this year and purchased our first home in June.

I discovered this forum sometime last year and am so thankful for everyone who posts and lurks here, I learn something new every time I visit. I’m very happy with our trajectory and have many on here to thank.

Cheers, all :beer
Last edited by ranger3 on Sat Dec 31, 2022 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Go Bills
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

ranger3 wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:47 am My wife and I just reached $100k in combined retirement account balances. (It is also the 7th anniversary of our first date today!) We both turned 25 this year and purchased our first home in June.

I discovered this forum sometime last year and am so thankful for everyone who posts and lurks here, I learn something new every time I visit. I’m very happy with our trajectory and have many on here to thank.

Congratulations :D

At age 25 we didn't have any retirement account balances, no income, no job, no house, one child.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

ranger3 wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:47 am My wife and I just reached $100k in combined retirement account balances. (It is also the 7th anniversary of our first date today!) We both turned 25 this year and purchased our first home in June.

Having $100k in retirement savings at age 25 is absolutely outstanding.

Coupled with a home purchase, you’re well on your way to a successful financial life.

Congratulations.
LukeOfTheDraw

Post by LukeOfTheDraw »

This isn’t about reaching 2 comma club (which we haven’t), as that may be a lot to some people and not much at all to others.

Rather, combined investments of SO and I (mid 40’s) recently reached 10x expenses.
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

Nice work! Congrats. :sharebeer
"Stay on target! Stay on target!"
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

LukeOfTheDraw wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:35 am This isn’t about reaching 2 comma club (which we haven’t), as that may be a lot to some people and not much at all to others.

Rather, combined investments of SO and I (mid 40’s) recently reached 10x expenses.
Congrats!

And I like that way of thinking about it--as multiples of expenses. It normalizes all the different lifestyles here down to a similar scale.
"Stay on target! Stay on target!"
Dollarsign16

Post by Dollarsign16 »

With the market close on Friday, DW (39) and I (38) reached seven figures in our combined tax advantaged accounts. I've been projecting to hit this for a while in spring '23 but the recent market run-up pushed us there sooner than I ever would have imagined. With home equity and small taxable, we're conservatively around 1.6 million in total net worth but I think the tax advantaged milestone is kind of neat. Breakdown as follows for those who may be curious.

His 403b - $333,770.99 ($45,504.82 is Roth)
His Roth IRA - $150,678.94
His Rollover IRA - $78,552.24 (wish I'd considered backdoor implications before creating this)

Her 401k - $211,174.12 ($54,383.96 is Roth)
Her Roth IRA - $52,549.08
Her Rollover IRA - $147,059.76 (wish I'd considered backdoor implications before creating this)

HSA - $13,179.87 (wish I'd started earlier)

EE/I bonds $15,197.72 (recently started alternating monthly $1K purchases between the two for small early retirement annuity)

Total = $1,002,162.79 ($303,116.08 is Roth)

Cheers to the next million and everyone's milestones. :sharebeer
Too many people spend money they earned..to buy things they don’t want..to impress people they don’t like. –Will Rogers
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

Dollarsign16 wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:32 pm With the market close on Friday, DW (39) and I (38) reached seven figures in our combined tax advantaged accounts. I've been projecting to hit this for a while in spring '23 but the recent market run-up pushed us there sooner than I ever would have imagined. With home equity and small taxable, we're conservatively around 1.6 million in total net worth but I think the tax advantaged milestone is kind of neat. Breakdown as follows for those who may be curious.

His 403b - $333,770.99 ($45,504.82 is Roth)
His Roth IRA - $150,678.94
His Rollover IRA - $78,552.24 (wish I'd considered backdoor implications before creating this)

Her 401k - $211,174.12 ($54,383.96 is Roth)
Her Roth IRA - $52,549.08
Her Rollover IRA - $147,059.76 (wish I'd considered backdoor implications before creating this)

HSA - $13,179.87 (wish I'd started earlier)

EE/I bonds $15,197.72 (recently started alternating monthly $1K purchases between the two for small early retirement annuity)

Absolutely tremendous! Many congratulations and keep it up!
angelescrest

Post by angelescrest »

WhatsIRR wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:17 pm Our taxable account hit $500k this week, my RSUs have done great this year helping drive the value up. My next goal is to get it to $1M in 5 years.
Very reasonable goal! Congrats! :beer

Seems like most of the posts I read (typically high income and under age 32) would say something like, “hit $500k, planning on $1M in 1 year!” Sounds like you have good expectations.
angelescrest

Post by angelescrest »

Bravo! Congratulations! We are not too far off from you, including savings rate. Good to have company with someone on the financial trails of life. What kind of financial goals, milestones, and plans are you making/anticipating?
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Dollarsign16 wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:32 pm With the market close on Friday, DW (39) and I (38) reached seven figures in our combined tax advantaged accounts.

. . . . .

macandal

Post by macandal »

Two things happened this year.

One, I made it to $1M on my retirement 457(b) account.

This initially happened in March, but it quickly went down below the one million mark. Then in April it went back up to one million and it has only grown from there. I thought I'd never get there. I still remember trying to get to $10,000 and how hard that was that $1,000,000 seemed impossible. I'm glad I kept at it.

Two, I made it to $500K on my investment (taxable) account (mid July). This is an account I opened over 20 years ago with Sharebuilder which then became Capital One Investing, when they closed, I transferred to Fidelity and I've been there for about 3 years. I opened this account to save to buy a house. Why haven't I bought it yet you ask? Well, because I live in San Francisco, that's why, and this is not quite enough to pay for a house. As much as I can I would like to stay in San Francisco so I want to save as much as I can so I carry no mortgage when I buy or just a tiny amount. I've recently decided to see if I can also get to $1M on this account. We'll see.

I never thought I'd make it here. It's exciting and rewarding to see what dedication and perseverance can produce. If you're just starting in your journey, don't be discouraged, you'll be glad you never gave up.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

macandal wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:38 am Two things happened this year.

One, I made it to $1M on my retirement 457(b) account.

This initially happened in March, but it quickly went down below the one million mark. Then in April it went back up to one million and it has only grown from there. I thought I'd never get there. I still remember trying to get to $10,000 and how hard that was that $1,000,000 seemed impossible. I'm glad I kept at it.
So you are a "multi" millionaire!!!

macandal wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:38 amTwo, I made it to $500K on my investment (taxable) account (mid July). This is an account I opened over 20 years ago with Sharebuilder which then became Capital One Investing, when they closed, I transferred to Fidelity and I've been there for about 3 years. I opened this account to save to buy a house. Why haven't I bought it yet you ask? Well, because I live in San Francisco, that's why, and this is not quite enough to pay for a house. As much as I can I would like to stay in San Francisco so I want to save as much as I can so I carry no mortgage when I buy or just a tiny amount. I've recently decided to see if I can also get to $1M on this account. We'll see.

I never thought I'd make it here. It's exciting and rewarding to see what dedication and perseverance can produce. If you're just starting in your journey, don't be discouraged, you'll be glad you never gave up.
macandal

Post by macandal »

ruralavalon wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:52 amSo you are a "multi" millionaire!!!
Well, when you put it like that, yeah, I guess I am! :wink:
ruralavalon wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:52 amCongratulations :D .
Thanks.
chris319

Post by chris319 »

Congratulations! You called the market top perfectly. Your post was on Saturday and the market has been down every day since, and it's only Wednesday.

I'm blaming this week's poor performance directly on you. Everyone on Wall Street follows Bogleheads, all the big movers and shakers. When they saw your post they decided, welp, that's it, time to sell :mrgreen:

Didn't know you could move the market, did you? I hear Warren Buffett is thinking about shorting the market.

Congratulations on calling the market top, on reaching two commas, and on causing a mini-crash :oops:

Not to worry. Your portfolio and mine will be back to two commas bye and bye.
Financial decisions based on emotion often turn out to be bad decisions.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

Looks like I’ll be earning more in 2022 than I ever have before and saving and investing more too. Should have the exact numbers in January. And late in 2022 I should be nearing $1.9 million in net worth, barring unforeseen events. But I am getting ahead of myself and don’t want to count my chickens before they are hatched.
OhBoyUhoh

Post by OhBoyUhoh »

AnnetteLouisan wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:25 am Looks like I’ll be earning more in 2022 than I ever have before and saving and investing more too. Should have the exact numbers in January. And late in 2022 I should be nearing $1.9 million in net worth, barring unforeseen events. But I am getting ahead of myself and don’t want to count my chickens before they are hatched.
Congrats, AnnetteLouisan. I think it's ok to dream. Keep the faith!
I had money, I had none. I had money, I had none. But I never been so broke that I couldn't leave town. (Jim, Ray, Robby, John)
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

AnnetteLouisan wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:25 am Looks like I’ll be earning more in 2022 than I ever have before and saving and investing more too. Should have the exact numbers in January. And late in 2022 I should be nearing $1.9 million in net worth, barring unforeseen events. But I am getting ahead of myself and don’t want to count my chickens before they are hatched.
Those are all excellent developments.

Congratulations!
Wannaretireearly

Post by Wannaretireearly »

I/we were able to sock away the max in 401k + Mega backdoor + regular back door, for the first time ever. So, this year represents max savings. Hope to continue next year, although had some scary moments where the checking account was dangerously low!
Living life on the edge :P 8-)
“At some point you are trading time you will never get back for money you will never spend.“ | “How do you want to spend the best remaining year of your life?“
jarjarM

Post by jarjarM »

Wannaretireearly wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:00 pm I/we were able to sock away the max in 401k + Mega backdoor + regular back door, for the first time ever. So, this year represents max savings. Hope to continue next year, although had some scary moments where the checking account was dangerously low!
Congrats, it's an amazing saving goal :beer
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Wannaretireearly

Nice work! Make hay while the sun is out ;)
“At some point you are trading time you will never get back for money you will never spend.“ | “How do you want to spend the best remaining year of your life?“
Wannaretireearly

jarjarM wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:06 pm
Wannaretireearly wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:00 pm I/we were able to sock away the max in 401k + Mega backdoor + regular back door, for the first time ever. So, this year represents max savings. Hope to continue next year, although had some scary moments where the checking account was dangerously low!
Congrats, it's an amazing saving goal :beer
Cheers jarjar! :sharebeer
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

Wannaretireearly wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:20 pm
Nice work! Make hay while the sun is out ;)
You said it, bud! What it took to get here!! SMH.