Columbus, Ohio Chapter

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
RetiredMarine

Re: New Columbus, Ohio Chapter

Post by RetiredMarine »

fyi, we had another good turnout today - 19 people, and we talked about everything from 401ks and IRAs to taxes and HSAs.

Also, next month we'll be having the meeting on the 3d Sunday of the month, 20 May, as the previous Sunday is Mother's Day.
cheeky

Re: Improving Local Boglehead Chapter Meetings

Post by cheeky »

[Moved into here from: Improving Local Boglehead Chapter Meetings --admin LadyGeek]

Hello RM,

I am new to this forum(First Post) and these investing concepts but I am in Columbus, Ohio and would be interested in trying to come to some of your meetings. Is there any way to get the meeting details if you don't join Meetup?
Topic Author
RetiredMarine

Post by RetiredMarine »

cheeky,

the details for our monthly meetings are in this "New Columbus, Ohio Chapter" thread - on the first page, i.e. normally 2d Sunday of the month from 2-4pm at the Columbus Metropolitan (Main) Library (meeting room 3B), which is located at 96 S. Grant Avenue, Columbus, OH 43215. In May, the meeting will be on 20 May due to Mother's Day the previous Sunday.
Topic Author
RetiredMarine

Post by RetiredMarine »

All,

Just a reminder about next Sunday's (20 May) meeting - same time, 2-4 at the library. (No meeting tomorrow since it's Mother's Day)

If you have any specific subjects you'd like to have discussed and let others know about ahead of time, please reply with them here as desired - or input them at the Yahoo Group site.

Thanks and see you next Sunday.
Topic Author
RetiredMarine

Post by RetiredMarine »

Just a final reminder about our meeting Sunday (May 20th) at the library, see you then.
Topic Author
RetiredMarine

Post by RetiredMarine »

All,

Just a reminder about next Sunday's (10 June) meeting - same time, 2-4 at the library.

If you have any specific subjects you'd like to have discussed and let others know about ahead of time, please reply with them here as desired - or input them at the Yahoo Group site.

Topic Author
RetiredMarine

Post by RetiredMarine »

Just a final reminder about our meeting Sunday (June 10) at the library from 2-4, see you then.
Topic Author
RetiredMarine

Post by RetiredMarine »

We had a great meeting and turnout (17 total) yesterday – lots of good discussion on everything from investing mistakes some of the older members have made to the value of college to some estate planning basics.

As was brought up, we’re going to shift the meeting time to 3-5pm (instead of 2-4) - still on the 2d Sunday of the month at the Columbus Main Library. This is to facilitate going to dinner after the meeting for those interested – we’ll look to do the dinner on a bi-monthly basis – starting in July, then September, November, etc.

On the Columbus Bogleheads Yahoo Group (mentioned above in this thread) is a map from the library of some of the restaurants nearby. I believe there are a number of other places in the area as well. If someone has a suggested restaurant near the library for dinner in July, please respond on the Yahoo Group (or here) with your recommendation.

See everyone next month.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

^^^ RetiredMarine!! Congratulations - you certainly got that chapter up and running :D
Topic Author
RetiredMarine

Re: New Columbus, Ohio Chapter (NEW mtg. time)

Post by RetiredMarine »

All,

Just a reminder about next Sunday's (8 July) meeting - NEW time, 3-5 at the library.

If you have any specific subjects you'd like to have discussed and let others know about ahead of time, please reply with them here as desired.

Topic Author
RetiredMarine

Post by RetiredMarine »

Propose that we have dinner after next Sunday’s meeting (around 5:15 or so) at Pat & Gracie’s, 340 E. Gay St., Columbus (American style food). It’s just a few blocks from the main library, they have a small parking lot across the street, and additional street parking should be available.

If you plan on going to dinner, please let me know/respond back by Thursday (5 July) (either here or on the Yahoo Group) so that I can let the restaurant know roughly how many to expect, thanks.
Topic Author
RetiredMarine

Post by RetiredMarine »

Just a final reminder about our meeting Sunday (July 8) at the library - at the NEW time from 3-5.

Also, dinner afterwards for those interested at 5:15 at Pat & Gracie's at 340 E. Gay St., Columbus.

See you Sunday.
Topic Author
RetiredMarine

Post by RetiredMarine »

fyi, we had another good turnout yesterday (16 total) and some great discussions – everything from rolling a 401k over to an IRA, to what investments to choose after maxing out 401k/IRAs, to whether fellowship income can be contributed to an IRA.

Also, 11 folks went to dinner afterwards at Pat & Gracie’s and had a good time there as well.
Topic Author
RetiredMarine

Post by RetiredMarine »

All,

Just a reminder about next Sunday's (12 August) meeting - NEW time, 3-5 at the library.

If you have any specific subjects you'd like to have discussed and let others know about ahead of time, please reply with them here as desired.

Topic Author
RetiredMarine

Post by RetiredMarine »

Just a final reminder about our meeting Sunday (August 12) at the library - at the NEW time from 3-5.

See you Sunday.
Topic Author
RetiredMarine

Post by RetiredMarine »

fyi, we had another good turnout on Sunday (15 total) and some great discussions – everything from annuities to mortgages to Fidelity's new zero expense ratio mutual funds.
Topic Author
RetiredMarine

Post by RetiredMarine »

All,

Just a reminder about next Sunday's (9 Sept) meeting - NEW time, 3-5 at the library.

If you have any specific subjects you'd like to have discussed and let others know about ahead of time, please reply with them here (or on the Yahoo Group) as desired.

Also, dinner afterwards for those interested at 5:15 at Pat & Gracie's at 340 E. Gay St., Columbus. It’s a few blocks from the main library, they have a parking lot across the street, and additional street parking should be available.

If you plan on going to dinner, please let me know by Thursday (6 Sept) here or on the Yahoo Group so that I can let the restaurant know roughly how many to expect, thanks.

Have a great Labor Day weekend, and see you next Sunday.
Topic Author
RetiredMarine

Post by RetiredMarine »

Reminder, if you plan on going to dinner after the meeting this Sunday (at Pat & Gracie's), please let me know by tomorrow - here or on the Yahoo Group so that I can let the restaurant know roughly how many to expect, thanks.
Topic Author
RetiredMarine

Post by RetiredMarine »

All,

Just a reminder about next Sunday's (14 October) meeting - NEW time, 3-5 at the library.

Topic Author
RetiredMarine

Post by RetiredMarine »

Just a final reminder about our meeting Sunday (October 14) at the library - at the NEW time from 3-5.

See you Sunday.
GoldPressedLatinum

Post by GoldPressedLatinum »

Sadly I have to miss, but I hope to attend my 1st meeting soon!
Topic Author
RetiredMarine

Post by RetiredMarine »

fyi for those who couldn't make it to yesterday's meeting (14 Oct.). Believe we had another good turnout (16 people) with lots of good discussion - everything from being invested in the stock market long-term (vs. having "excess" cash) to some discussion about controlling tax rates in retirement to conversation about investing in individual stocks ("ok to some, maybe many, Bogleheads if someone is fully funding their 401k/IRAs first).

Reminder that next month we'll be having dinner after the meeting. If anyone has any restaurant suggestions (other than Pat & Gracie's), please share them. Thanks.
JackAtPage

Post by JackAtPage »

Is this still an active chapter?

I've read in here about how we're trying to get some more young people in the group. I'm 25 and am at the point where I need to start conversing with people vice reading books.
Topic Author
RetiredMarine

Post by RetiredMarine »

JackAtPage,

Yes this is definitely an active chapter. We meet monthly - 2d Sunday at 3-5pm at the main Columbus Library as mentioned above. We usually have 15-20 people attend ranging in age from early 20s to mid-60s (and older sometimes). You're more than welcome to join us and we'll do what we can to help you move forward financially. Hope to see you next month.
Topic Author
RetiredMarine

Post by RetiredMarine »

All,

Just a reminder about next Sunday's (11 November) meeting from 3-5 at the library.

Topic Author
RetiredMarine

Post by RetiredMarine »

P.S. Dinner after 11 November meeting for those interested at 5:15 at Pat & Gracie's at 340 E. Gay St., Columbus. It’s a few blocks from the main library, they have a parking lot across the street, and additional street parking should be available.

If you plan on going to dinner, please let me know by Thursday (8 November) so that I can let the restaurant know roughly how many to expect, thanks.
Topic Author
RetiredMarine

Post by RetiredMarine »

fyi, at next Sunday's meeting one of our members is going to go over a spreadsheet he developed regarding the tax impact of different investing accounts (probably during the last half hour).

Also, another member mentioned the below topics as ones that we've touched on in past meetings as possible areas to expand upon in future meetings (which might involve more experienced members doing summaries on them for reference). We'll also bring these up in the last half hour as well regarding future meetings.

- Stock valuations
- Federal tax rates including capital gains rates
- When to contribute to Roth vs tax deferred, and related contribution limits
- Asset allocation
- Expense, expense ratios, and the effects of Asset Under Management (AUM) advisor fees
- Interest rates and effects on bonds
- 401K basics
- Step up basis, also inherited IRAs
- Creditor protection (401K-type plans vs IRAs)
- Tax Loss Harvesting (TLH), and the ordering rules for applying the losses and the carry overs.
- Tax Gain Harvesting (TGH), lots of people forget about this strategy
- Roth conversions
Topic Author
RetiredMarine

Post by RetiredMarine »

fyi for those who weren't able to attend Sunday's meeting (11 Nov). Had our biggest turnout so far - 25 people, probably about 1/3 of them or more under age 30. (so Meetup.com is helping us attract a younger audience who can benefit the most over the long-term from sound investing habits). We also had 10 folks attend the dinner afterwards.

One or two more meetings with that many people and we'll be getting a new meeting location (we were over the intended capacity for the room as a couple of folks sitting on tables can attest to).

Great discussions on a variety of subjects - much of it helping newer investors talking about things like asset allocation, dollar-cost averaging and keeping emotions in check. One of our more experienced members also spent some time going over a spreadsheet he developed which reflects account values over time for 401Ks, traditional and Roth IRAs and taxable accounts based on various deposit/withdrawal rates and taking into account income amounts and tax rates (income/capital gains).
Topic Author
RetiredMarine

Post by RetiredMarine »

All,

Just a reminder about next Sunday's (9 December) meeting from 3-5 at the library.

NORDO

Post by NORDO »

Don't know that I'll be able to make this week's meeting but hoping to join you all sometime soon.

The Cincinnati chapter appears to be defunct / on hiatus and you're the next-closest option! 8-)

In all seriousness, glad to see there's another active group of Bogleheads in Ohio. There were very few of us from OH at the conference back in Oct.
Btags84

Post by Btags84 »

Hello, my girlfriend (27) and I (34) are planning on attending the December meeting. This would be our first one, just to confirm, is it still here:

Columbus Metropolitan (Main) Library (Meeting Room 3B) which is located at 96 S. Grant Avenue, Columbus, OH 43215.

I am interesting in hearing perspectives on the three fund portfolio and those who slice and dice similar to Paul Merriman's Ultimate Buy & Hold portfolio.
I'm sure both of us will have other topics of interest, but I didn't want to cause topics already discussed recently to be rehashed so we'll probably just listen for the first meeting. I love this forum and am very excited to join.

Do we just show up for the first one? Or should I join the Yahoo group?
Topic Author
RetiredMarine

Post by RetiredMarine »

Btags84,

Yes, our next meeting is on Sunday, 9 Dec. from 3-5 at that Columbus Library location and you can just show up. It's up to you if/when you want to join the Yahoo Group, although we do have some good written materials there for review.

We can talk about the 3 fund portfolio, Merriman's portfolio along with any other topics you want to talk about. Part of our normal meeting routine - after some initial introductory items - is to have any newcomers bring up their subjects first. Look forward to seeing you both next Sunday. Take care.
Btags84

Post by Btags84 »

Great meeting, my girlfriend and I will definitely be back for the meeting in January. We loved all the discussion and diversity of members.
Topic Author
RetiredMarine

Post by RetiredMarine »

fyi, we had another good turnout at yesterday's meeting - 20 people and a lot of good discussion on everything from the 3 fund portfolio to a more "tilted" portfolio (Paul Merriman's) to taking RMDs.

I haven't really been taking notes at these meetings. Does anyone desire to have a more detailed summary/meeting notes posted after the meetings (here and/or on the Yahoo Group)?

If so, maybe someone can volunteer to start doing that in the future. Let me know what you think.

Just a reminder that next month we'll have dinner after the meeting. If anyone wants a new/different dinner location, please make a suggestion here or on the Yahoo Group, thanks.
DA200

Post by DA200 »

The meeting on Dec. 9 was great. The broad range of backgrounds, experiences, and stages of financial life lead to interesting discussions. My spouse told me she plans to attend the next meeting and dinner.
Enjoy the holidays - see you in January!
Topic Author
RetiredMarine

Post by RetiredMarine »

All,

Just a reminder about next Sunday's (13 January) meeting from 3-5 at the library.

Also, dinner afterwards for those interested at 5:15 at Pat & Gracie's at 340 E. Gay St., Columbus. It’s a few blocks from the main library, they have a parking lot across the street, and additional street parking should be available.

If you plan on going to dinner, please let me know by Thursday (10 January) so that I can let the restaurant know roughly how many to expect, thanks.

GoldPressedLatinum

Is the meeting at the Main library downtown?
96 S Grant Ave, Columbus, OH 43215
Last edited by GoldPressedLatinum on Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Btags84

Post by Btags84 »

Hello, my girlfriend and I plan to attend again and are interested in going to the dinner afterwards. Thanks again for putting this on. I know she wants to hear what people do for short term savings goals, like a house down payment or car purchase.
Topic Author
RetiredMarine

Post by RetiredMarine »

GoldPressedLatinum,

Yes, the meeting is at the Columbus Main Library (Rm.3B), 96 S Grant Ave, Columbus, OH.

Btags84,

Thanks for the input, we can certainly talk about that - see you next week.
GoldPressedLatinum

RetiredMarine - thanks for the confirmation. Please count me in for attending the event (can't make dinner, though).

If I may suggest a topic: how to effectively use a side hustle Solo 401k (or SEP-IRA) in addition to a 401k from a full time W2.
anakinskywalker

Post by anakinskywalker »

GoldPressedLatinum wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:24 pm RetiredMarine - thanks for the confirmation. Please count me in for attending the event (can't make dinner, though).

If I may suggest a topic: how to effectively use a side hustle Solo 401k (or SEP-IRA) in addition to a 401k from a full time W2.
Love that username! Fellow trekkie here.

Anakin
Topic Author
RetiredMarine

Post by RetiredMarine »

GoldPressedLatinum,

I'll add your suggested topic to the list for next Sunday's meeting, thanks. See you then.
Topic Author
RetiredMarine

Post by RetiredMarine »

All,

Our meeting (and dinner following) is still on today - don't think the weather should be a significant issue. Hope to see you there.

P.S. Forgive me if I check my phone occasionally for the NFL playoff scores. :)
Russianbear

Post by Russianbear »

I'm about 2 hours north of you, but I'd be interested in learning more so I can retire at a decent age. I'm 42 and just getting started. About $100,000 in debt.
Topic Author
RetiredMarine

Post by RetiredMarine »

Russianbear,

If there's not a location closer to you, you're certainly welcome to join us at our monthly meetings - which are the 2d Sunday of each month from 3-5pm at the Columbus Metropolitan (Main) Library (Meeting Room 3B) at 96 S. Grant Avenue, Columbus, OH 43215. The library has a parking garage. Our next meeting will be on 10 February.

Also, we have dinner after the meeting every other month for those interested at 5:15 at Pat & Gracie's at 340 E. Gay St., Columbus. It’s a few blocks from the main library, they have a parking lot across the street, and additional street parking should be available. The next dinner will be in March.

Lastly, a Yahoo Group has been created to facilitate additional Columbus Bogleheads communications. Below is the link to join if you're interested. Please send an e-mail to the following Yahoo Group e-mail address to join:

columbusbogleheads-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

Hope we'll see you next month, take care.
Topic Author
RetiredMarine

Post by RetiredMarine »

fyi for those who couldn't make it, we had another good turnout at yesterday's meeting - 19 people and a lot of good discussion on everything from Health Savings Accounts (HSAs) to Solo 401ks & SEP-IRAs for side hustles to some good savings choices for short-term goals like house down payments. We also had 9 folks go to dinner afterwards as well.
Topic Author
RetiredMarine

Post by RetiredMarine »

All,

Just a reminder about next Sunday's (10 February) meeting from 3-5 at the library.

If you have any specific subjects you'd like to have discussed and let others know about ahead of time, please reply with them here as desired. (There will be a short presentation after the introductions regarding a Mr. Money Mustache Case Study Spreadsheet which contains various calculations relating to personal finance including: tax planning including many common credits and extra taxes (both federal & state), Social Security benefit estimates, "HDHP plus HSA" vs. "non-HDHP and no-HSA" comparisons, lump sum vs. pension, and many other scenarios).

Based on previous input, the first hour or so of the meeting with be for "basics" while the last hour will be for "beyond basics". How well this works out will probably depend on how many newcomers are at each meeting and the subjects to be covered during that time.

Another new item based on previous input, for those interested please meetup before the meeting at 2:00pm at the Carnegie's Cafe in the 1st floor of the library to chat further in an even more relaxed atmosphere. We'll make this a standing invitation for those who are interested.

Also, the dinners will be monthly now (vice bi-monthly) so dinner afterwards for those interested at 5:15 at Pat & Gracie's at 340 E. Gay St., Columbus. It’s a few blocks from the main library, they have a parking lot across the street, and additional street parking should be available.

If you plan on going to dinner, please let me know by Thursday (7 February) so that I can let the restaurant know roughly how many to expect, thanks.

Topic Author
RetiredMarine

Post by RetiredMarine »

Reminder: Sunday (10 Feb) - Columbus Main Library
2:00 - Carnegie's Cafe
3:00 - Meeting - Room 3B
5:15 - Pat & Gracie's
If you're planning on going to dinner, please let me know by Thursday (7Feb) so that I can give a rough count to the restaurant. Thanks and see you next Sunday.
Btags84

Post by Btags84 »

I will be at the meeting, just me this time though.
Btags84

Post by Btags84 »

Btags84 wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:13 pm I will be at the meeting, just me this time though.
Based on how much snow is coming down I think I'm taking the safe route and staying home unfortunately. I wanted to hear the MMM case study, oh well. Might be tough to hear so maybe this doesn't make sense, but has anyone thought about doing a Google Hangouts meeting for those who can't make the meeting in person?