Columbus, Ohio Chapter

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
RetiredMarine

Columbus, Ohio Chapter

Post by RetiredMarine »

Is there interest in establishing a new chapter in the area? We just moved to the area (Pickerington) and it would be nice to talk face to face about investing and personal finance issues if enough folks are motivated to.
Topic Author
RetiredMarine

Re: New Columbus, Ohio Chapter

Post by RetiredMarine »

Just checking again to see if there's any interest.
bikechuck

Post by bikechuck »

I live in Dublin, Ohio, am recently retired, and would be interested. If it is just the two of us, send me a private message and worst case we can meet for coffee.
jrmillions

Post by jrmillions »

I live in Grove City and interested in meeting
Topic Author
RetiredMarine

Post by RetiredMarine »

Think we just need 2 more folks to become an "official" chapter. If we don't get them, then as bikechuck suggested maybe we can just get together anyway. How about a few more days to see if anyone else wants to join in before we start any PMs.
ShowMeTheER

Post by ShowMeTheER »

I would be interested to meet
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

OK, we're almost there. Just need five with one of the five willing to be the Local Chapter Coordinator. PM me if you're that one person.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
dcswez

Post by dcswez »

I am also interested in a Central Ohio chapter. By my count, that makes five.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

dcswez wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:42 am I am also interested in a Central Ohio chapter. By my count, that makes five.

We have the required five and I'm sure there are lots more Bogleheads in the Columbus area.

Now all we need is for one of you to agree to be the Local Chapter Coordinator. The Local Coordinator doesn't have to be an investing guru. He/she just communicates with the members about meeting locations, dates, times and desired agenda topics. You can use this Local Chapters sub-forum to do that.

Just PM me and I'll make your group official and add your contact info to the Local Chapters Map so others can find you.

And Semper Fi to RetiredMarine.

Best regards,

Mel
DA200

Post by DA200 »

I am very interested in attending a central Ohio meeting.
mayafoo

Post by mayafoo »

I am also interested.
MarkVH0518

Post by MarkVH0518 »

I'm interested
The advantage of Get Rich Slow is that you actually Get Rich.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

OK, it's official. The Columbus Ohio Chapter is now in business.

RetiredMarine has agreed to be the Local Chapter Coordinator. He's established a new email address for your group. It's ColumbusBogleheads@gmail.com.

In addition to the email address, you can use this Local Chapters sub-forum to communicate with each other.

Good luck to our newest Local Chapter.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
bikechuck

Post by bikechuck »

Just wanted to say thank you to RetiredMarine and to Mel Lindauer for getting this off the ground.
Topic Author
RetiredMarine

Post by RetiredMarine »

Hello All Columbus area Bogleheads:

As the new Local Chapter Coordinator, please send me your first name, forum user name and an e-mail address where you can be reached (will be kept confidential) to the ColumbusBogleheads@gmail.com by Wednesday, 6 Sept.

Include any preferred day(s) (e.g. Saturday, Sunday) and time(s) that you'd like to meet and any day(s)/time that you CAN'T meet along with any recommended meeting location if you have one.

Then we'll try to have a first meeting in September as feasible - will put out that info here once I get the input. Look forward to meeting everyone and having some engaging discussions.

Thanks.

Mark
Polymereyez

Post by Polymereyez »

Mark,
Excited to see the formation of a Columbus Boglehead chapter. Thanks for stepping up to serve as the chapter coordinator. I will send you my availability to meet in September via gmail.
RetiredMarine wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:30 pm Hello All Columbus area Bogleheads:

As the new Local Chapter Coordinator, please send me your first name, forum user name and an e-mail address where you can be reached (will be kept confidential) to the ColumbusBogleheads@gmail.com by Wednesday, 6 Sept.

Include any preferred day(s) (e.g. Saturday, Sunday) and time(s) that you'd like to meet and any day(s)/time that you CAN'T meet along with any recommended meeting location if you have one.

Then we'll try to have a first meeting in September as feasible - will put out that info here once I get the input. Look forward to meeting everyone and having some engaging discussions.

Thanks.

Mark
Topic Author
RetiredMarine

Post by RetiredMarine »

Columbus Bogleheads,

As previously mentioned via e-mail, our first meeting is scheduled it for 2-4 pm on Sunday, 17 September at the Columbus Metropolitan (Main) Library (Meeting Room 3B) which is located at 96 S. Grant Avenue, Columbus, OH 43215. The library has a parking garage.

Will send out a reminder a couple days before.

If you have any questions, please let me know. Take care and see you soon.
bikechuck

Post by bikechuck »

Thanks so much for getting this started, I plan to attend.
Polymereyez

Post by Polymereyez »

Looking forward to the first meeting RetiredMarine. Thanks for organizing!
aldiener

Post by aldiener »

Hi everyone,
I am excited to see a Boglehead Chapter starting in Columbus.
I look forward to seeing you all on Sunday.
Topic Author
RetiredMarine

Post by RetiredMarine »

Columbus Bogleheads,

As a reminder our first meeting is scheduled for 2-4 pm tomorrow (Sunday, 17 Sept) at the Columbus Metropolitan (Main) Library (Meeting Room 3B) which is located at 96 S. Grant Avenue, Columbus, OH 43215. The library has a parking garage.

Look forward to meeting everyone.
Polymereyez

Post by Polymereyez »

Enjoyed meeting others interested in investing at the first meeting yesterday. The turnout was great and the meeting room was perfect. There was a nice mix of individuals both working towards retirement as well as already in retirement. Several have been practicing Boglehead investing principles for many years and others are just getting started. The diversity should lead to some interesting discussions. Lookng forward to the next meeting!
macman_65

Post by macman_65 »

I'm in NW Ohio about 2 hours from Columbus.
Polymereyez

Post by Polymereyez »

macman_65 wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:39 am I'm in NW Ohio about 2 hours from Columbus.
Would love to have you at the next meeting. You can email Mark at ColumbusBogleheads@gmail.com to get on the local email list. FYI - Cleveland area also has a local chapter (if that is any closer to you).
macman_65

Post by macman_65 »

Polymereyez wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:03 am
macman_65 wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:39 am I'm in NW Ohio about 2 hours from Columbus.
Would love to have you at the next meeting. You can email Mark at ColumbusBogleheads@gmail.com to get on the local email list. FYI - Cleveland area also has a local chapter (if that is any closer to you).
Thanks, email sent. Cleveland is about 3.5 hours away and Cincy is about 2.5. Doesn't appear there is anything closer to me than the Columbus chapter.
Topic Author
RetiredMarine

Post by RetiredMarine »

Columbus Bogleheads,

To make communicating about our Columbus Bogleheads meetings easier, a new Yahoo Group has been created (vice using the gmail account).

Please send an e-mail to the following e-mail address to join:

columbusbogleheads-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

For those who couldn't make it, believe we had a good first meeting.

If you know anyone else that wants to join in, particularly younger folks, please let them know/invite them (worst case is we have to move to a larger meeting room eventually) 😀.

Thanks.
Topic Author
RetiredMarine

Post by RetiredMarine »

Columbus Bogleheads,

Just a reminder if you haven't already to send an e-mail to our new Yahoo Group below to keep up with the local group communication:

As mentioned, if you know anyone else that wants to join in, particularly younger folks, please let them know/invite them.

Thanks.
Topic Author
RetiredMarine

Post by RetiredMarine »

Columbus Bogleheads,

As discussed in our first meeting, we’re moving forward initially with monthly meetings in the same location – the Columbus Metropolitan (Main) Library (meeting room 3B), which is located at 96 S. Grant Avenue, Columbus, OH 43215.

The meetings will be on the 2d Sunday each month (assuming continuing room availability), so our next meeting is on Sunday, 8 October from 2-4pm. As previously mentioned, the library has a parking garage.

Please submit your top 3 topics for the next meeting – as general or specific as you’d like - by 1 October on the Yahoo Group e-mail, thanks.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Take care and see you soon.
Topic Author
RetiredMarine

Post by RetiredMarine »

Columbus Bogleheads,

Reminder of our meeting this Sunday, 8 October from 2-4pm at the Columbus Metropolitan (Main) Library (meeting room 3B), which is located at 96 S. Grant Avenue, Columbus, OH 43215. As previously mentioned, the library has a parking garage.

Just a reminder if you haven't already, please send an e-mail to our new Yahoo Group below to keep up with the local group communication:

Thanks and see you Sunday.
Topic Author
RetiredMarine

Post by RetiredMarine »

Columbus Bogleheads,

Quick summary regarding our meeting on Sunday (8 Oct.) for those who couldn't make it. We talked through a Boglehead Investment Philosophy brief for those newer to the website. We also "listed"/talked a little about some other sources of investing/personal finance info. that folks use.

Both the brief and the list of investing sources are on the Yahoo Group account. Reminder, please send an e-mail to our new Yahoo Group below to see the brief/sources and keep up with local group communication.

Thanks.
Polymereyez

Post by Polymereyez »

Is a Columbus Boglehead meeting being held at the library this Sunday, Nov. 12 at 2pm? Will we be discussing topics we didn't get to last month (asset allocation and fixed income)?
Thanks, Kurt
bikechuck

Post by bikechuck »

Polymereyez wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:55 am Is a Columbus Boglehead meeting being held at the library this Sunday, Nov. 12 at 2pm? Will we be discussing topics we didn't get to last month (asset allocation and fixed income)?
Thanks, Kurt
I have blocked out the time and am planning to attend unless it is cancelled.
Topic Author
RetiredMarine

Post by RetiredMarine »

Columbus Bogleheads,

Reminder of our meeting this Sunday, 12 November from 2-4pm at the Columbus Metropolitan (Main) Library (meeting room 3B), which is located at 96 S. Grant Avenue, Columbus, OH 43215. As previously mentioned, the library has a parking garage.

At a minimum, we'll talk about asset allocation determination and fixed income, along with anything else folks want to bring up.

Just a reminder if you haven't already, please send an e-mail to our new Yahoo Group below to keep up with the local group communication:

Topic Author
RetiredMarine

Post by RetiredMarine »

All,

Final reminder about our next meeting: 2-4pm, this Sunday, 12 November at the Columbus Metropolitan (Main) Library (Meeting Room 3B) at 96 S. Grant Avenue, Columbus, OH 43215. The library has a parking garage.

As previously indicated, at a minimum we'll talk about asset allocation, fixed income and whatever topic(s) each of you may want to bring up.

Also, as a reminder, a Yahoo Group has been created to make our Columbus Bogleheads communications easier. Below is the link to join if you haven't already. I won't use the original gmail account anymore for future group e-mails - just the Yahoo Group account (and this website for some reminders)

Please send an e-mail to the following Yahoo Group e-mail address to join:

Topic Author
RetiredMarine

Post by RetiredMarine »

All,

Just a reminder about our next meeting: 2-4pm, this Sunday, 10 December at the Columbus Metropolitan (Main) Library (Meeting Room 3B) at 96 S. Grant Avenue, Columbus, OH 43215. The library has a parking garage.

As previously indicated, in addition to discussing folks questions, we can tackle a few previously submitted topic items as desired - tax minimization (throughout the investing timeline), Exchange Traded Funds (ETFs), and fixed income considerations.

See you Sunday.
Polymereyez

Post by Polymereyez »

Looking forward to seeing everyone on Sunday.
Kurt
elbryn1000

Post by elbryn1000 »

is there a meeting this sunday?
Topic Author
RetiredMarine

Post by RetiredMarine »

All,

Just a reminder about our next meeting: 2-4pm, this Sunday, 14 January at the Columbus Metropolitan (Main) Library (Meeting Room 3B) at 96 S. Grant Avenue, Columbus, OH 43215. The library has a parking garage.

See you Sunday.
buckeyecub

Post by buckeyecub »

So happy to hear their is Columbus Chapter. Hoping there is a Feb meeting.
Topic Author
RetiredMarine

Post by RetiredMarine »

All,

Just a reminder about our next meeting: 2-4pm, next Sunday, 11 February at the Columbus Metropolitan (Main) Library (Meeting Room 3B) at 96 S. Grant Avenue, Columbus, OH 43215. The library has a parking garage.

See you Sunday.
Topic Author
RetiredMarine

Post by RetiredMarine »

I forgot to mention, but a couple of topics suggested for our next meeting include: When does it make sense (if ever) to consider cash based life insurance? and what about deferred variable annuities?"

If you have other subjects, please indicate them as desired. Thanks and see you Sunday.
Topic Author
RetiredMarine

Post by RetiredMarine »

Just a final reminder about our meeting Sunday (Feb.11th) at the library, see you then.
Barry Barnitz
Wiki Admin

Post by Barry Barnitz »

Hi:

We have added a page devoted to your chapter in our site's affiliate blog. Link: Columbus Ohio Bogleheads® Local Chapter.

The page is a part of our local chapter section, Bogleheads® local chapters , and is grouped with our other midwest chapters. We attempt to provide meeting dates for local chapters in Upcoming events.

Feel free to supply any information you would like to add to your page.

regards,
Additional administrative tasks: Financial Page bogleheads.org. blog; finiki the Canadian wiki; The Bogle Center for Financial Literacy site; La Guía Bogleheads® España site.
Topic Author
RetiredMarine

Post by RetiredMarine »

All,

Just a reminder about next Sunday's (11 March) meeting - same time, 2-4 at the library.

If you have any specific subjects you'd like to have discussed and let others know about ahead of time, please reply with them as desired.

Thanks and see you next Sunday.
CbusBoglehead

Post by CbusBoglehead »

Hi all,

I requested to be added to the yahoo group, but yahoo's interface didn't acknowledge that my request went through. Apologies If I accidentally sent multiple requests, I tried it on a couple browsers. I'm looking forward to attending a local meeting sometime soon.
Topic Author
RetiredMarine

Post by RetiredMarine »

Just a final reminder about our meeting Sunday (March 11th) at the library, see you then.
Topic Author
RetiredMarine

Post by RetiredMarine »

All,

If you have any suggested topics for our next meeting (8 April), feel free to post them here - it may help with "preparation" for any complex subjects.

Also, will bring a laptop for our next meeting to access the Bogleheads website on the TV screen for any new members to orient them to the basic areas. Will also bring a dry erase marker for the whiteboard as necessary.

As a reminder, a Yahoo Group has been created to facilitate additional Columbus Bogleheads communications. Below is the link to join if you haven't already. Please send an e-mail to the following Yahoo Group e-mail address to join:

Thanks and see you Sunday, 8 April. Happy Easter to everyone.
Topic Author
RetiredMarine

Post by RetiredMarine »

All,

Just a reminder about next Sunday's (8 April) meeting - same time, 2-4 at the library.

If you have any specific subjects you'd like to have discussed and let others know about ahead of time, please reply with them as desired.

Thanks and see you next Sunday.
Topic Author
RetiredMarine

Post by RetiredMarine »

Just a final reminder about our meeting Sunday (April 8th) at the library, see you then.
Topic Author
RetiredMarine

Post by RetiredMarine »

fyi, in the Yahoo Group for our chapter I created a folder (in the Files section) and put in a handful of PDF attachments that have Money Saving Tips & Resources info. If you want to join the Yahoo Group, please send an e-mail to the following e-mail address to join: