Your USER NAME...what does it mean?

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
fishandgolf

Your USER NAME...what does it mean?

Post by fishandgolf »

I've been frequenting this site for a few months now and have noticed some really "cool, some intriguing, some humorous, some thoughtful and some mysterious USER NAMES. Out of respect for those individuals, I do not want to point out any particular USER NAME. However,without revealing too much about who you are, perhaps a few of you might be willing to share if there is any particular meaning behind your USER NAME.

Mine....."fishandgolf".....pretty simple.....my two favorite hobbies.....Fishing and Golfing :D
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Your USER NAME...what does it mean?

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Local Chapters and Bogleheads Community forum (Bogleheads community).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
JohnFiscal
Location: US citizen now retired in Canada. Subject to income tax in both.

Post by JohnFiscal »

John is not my name. Fiscal is my game.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

I think mine speaks for itself :)

The first question I asked here I felt to be a bit "Daft" - thus the name. Now that I've read many additional books and nearly everything on this site (and occasionally feel funny when people address me as "Daft: ...." perhaps its time for a change. I would have changed it myself but understand I'd need to bother one of the moderators to do so....
inittowinit

Post by inittowinit »

I had to make a username, and "in it to win it" rhymes, plus vaguely describes my rationale for investing and taking interest in the topics discussed on these boards.
cinghiale

Post by cinghiale »

As the avatar indicates, cinghiale is Italian for wild boar.

Explanation-wise, there's really nothing to offer. I'm not Italian, don't hunt, and don't eat pigs, not even wild ones. It was a whim of the moment when signing up for the forum over ten years ago. That said, I've grown rather attached to the moniker. If the forum offered trade-ins on usernames, I don't think I'd make a change.
"We don't see things as they are; we see them as we are." Anais Nin | | "Sometimes the first duty of intelligent men is the restatement of the obvious." George Orwell
leonidas

Post by leonidas »

Leonidas, king of the Spartans. My father is Greek from near Sparta. Also, I do bear a resemblance to Gerard Butler who played the King in "300" so I go that too.
deskjockey

Post by deskjockey »

Mine describes what I do every day. Some people drive cars, others fly planes. I... sit at my desk most of the day. It's also a pejorative nickname used by some in the military to describe folks who have a bureaucratic assignment instead of one focused on the mission--one that I find quite funny and evocative.
Taylor Larimore

Post by Taylor Larimore »

fishandgolf:

My parents taught me to stand behind everything I say. Accordingly, my username is my real name. I have never had a problem.

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
neurosphere

Post by neurosphere »

leonidas wrote:Leonidas, king of the Spartans. My father is Greek from near Sparta. Also, I do bear a resemblance to Gerard Butler who played the King in "300" so I go that too.
My father is also greek and from near Sparta (Kyparissia). But I don't look like Gerard Butler. Probably more like Martin Short, but he was not in "300", so..

Anyway, as for my username, I have a medical/research background in the neurosciences, and a neurosphere is one way to study, in a dish, how are brains are formed from precursor cells.
If you have to ask "Is a Target Date fund right for me?", the answer is "Yes" (even in taxable accounts).
tim1999

Post by tim1999 »

JohnFiscal wrote:John is not my name. Fiscal is my game.
Reminds me of poster Harry Chan, of "my first name is not Harry, my last name is not Chan" fame.
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

Yuuge Ohio State fan!
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
Conch55

Post by Conch55 »

While I am not a Bahamian conch I was born in Key West, currently in exile but enjoy visits on occasion. The 55 part is either my stock AA, age or birth date. Retired and living the keys lifestyle wherever that might be.
David Jay

Post by David Jay »

pennstater2005 wrote:Yuuge Ohio State fan!
cute...
It's not an engineering problem - Hersh Shefrin | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

As a freshman in college, I was required to get my first personal email account. "Stop to Think" happened to be the name of my favorite song at the time. It's been my username for pretty much everything the past 20 years.
letsgobobby

deleted

Post by letsgobobby »

Last edited by letsgobobby on Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
leonidas

Post by leonidas »

neurosphere wrote:
My father is also greek and from near Sparta (Kyparissia). But I don't look like Gerard Butler.
The resemblance is from the neck up...from the neck down I'm more like his dad.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Surprise!!! Mine has nothing to do with cheese. DW is a big fan of Annette Funicello and the MIckey Mouse club, and I used to call her cheese breath as a reference to the mice. Then I decided it was such a cool name I stole it for myself to use on this forum.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
Wildebeest

Post by Wildebeest »

Leonidas means exquisite Belgium chocolates to me.
If you have never had the opportunity to try them, you should.
They are like nothing you have ever tasted before.
The Golden Rule: One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself.
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

Derivation of Ichabod ( from Ichabod Crane of Sleepy Hollow) as pronounced by my toddler at the time.
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

Mine is pretty boring. It's the first three letters of my first, middle and last name.

stemikger
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!
Raybo

Post by Raybo »

A nickname my sister gave me. Otherwise, it would be bicycleTourist.
No matter how long the hill, if you keep pedaling you'll eventually get up to the top.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

I wanted folks to think I was an author, so I picked an author's name. :D
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
ray.james

Post by ray.james »

It is the first names of 2 colleagues whose wisdom sent me on a quest for personal finance. They also sit in adjacent cubicles to me. So when I created this account, I thought I will validate their loan payoff ideas(see my first post!).
Last edited by ray.james on Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
When in doubt, http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79939
BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle »

The name I like to go by online was already taken on this forum, so I had to be "creative" for a moment. Which, of course, you see how that worked out, right?
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Marge (to Homer): So you want to go on tour with a traveling freak show.
Homer: I don't think I have a choice, Marge.
Marge: Of course you have a choice.
Homer: How do you figure?
Marge: You don't have to join a freak show just because the opportunity came along.
Homer (long pause): You know, Marge, in some ways, you and I are very different people.
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

First initial, last name, former workplace.

(Disclaimer: anything I post here is my own, my former workplace has nothing to do with it. So if it's stupid, don't blame them.) :oops:

Edited to add: since I'm now retired and no longer associated with that workplace, I asked the moderators to change my username from "smartinwate" to something more expressive of my personal hobby interests. I've been a fan of computers since my first exposure, which was to a Xerox Sigma 7 mainframe at Vanderbilt University back in 1972. By the way, there is a similar vintage mainframe, a Sigma 9, refurbished and up and running at the Living Computer Museum in Seattle; my avatar shows a login prompt from that machine.
Last edited by oldcomputerguy on Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
goingup

Post by goingup »

I thought this name evoked where our portfolio balance was headed. Thought it also inferred upward ascent when exiting this mortal coil. Really, though, I'm an Aerosmith fan and like the song, "Love in an Elevator".

goingup
PriceOfFreedom

Post by PriceOfFreedom »

My family history in the past century is fleeing oppression.

My grandparents fled Russia in 1917 during the revolution and ended up in China.

My parents fled China during the Chinese revolution in 1949 and eventually ended up in Canada.

We left Quebec when the separatists came to power in 1976 and eventually ended up in America.

How history may have turned out differently had people valued their freedom more is always in my thoughts.

Hence the quote sometimes attribute to Thomas Jefferson is the basis for my user name:

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance".
Tamarind

Post by Tamarind »

It's a tree that produces a tasty sour fruit pulp used in some cuisines. Also it sounds a little bit like my usual public handle which I did not want to comingle with discussion of personal finance and job negotiations.
NoGambleNoFuture

Post by NoGambleNoFuture »

I have some degenerate tendencies -- That's probably the only 1% I'm among here except my fellow 2p2'ers.
dependapotamus

Post by dependapotamus »

Dependapotamus is a slang term for military spouses i.e. dependents. My wife is a doc and I'm the kept man. It's meant to be ironic since after I got married and left the military my wife joined the Air Force to pay for medical school.
Gropes & Ray

Post by Gropes & Ray »

Mine is a not-funny play on a law firm name, but I have absolutely no connection to Ropes & Gray. I used to use Beer Stearns as a name for some things, but it stopped being relevant.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

"that Nisi Prius nuisance, who just now is rather rife,
That judicial humorist--
I've got him on my list."

it just popped into my head at a moment when I was trying to think of a screen name that had no particular connection with my real world identity. It's a line from a song in a Gilbert and Sullivan operetta, The Mikado, in which a character, Ko-Ko, is making a list of people who could be eliminated and "never would be missed." It's some obscure legal term relating to court procedures in Victorian England. I'm not a lawyer, certainly not a judge. I've done a little bit of Googling and clicking and have concluded that Gilbert and Sullivan connoisseurs have no idea what, or more likely whom, Gilbert was talking about.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Billionaire

Post by Billionaire »

An adjective that describes me.
tetractys

Post by tetractys »

Wildebeest

Post by Wildebeest »

I like Livesoft's username, I realize that that the people who recall "diehards" forum are a dying breed.

Makes me feel better about being a "Wildebeest".

I act insulted if you call me a "Gnu".
The Golden Rule: One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself.
Tycoon

Post by Tycoon »

I was trying to figure out what I would call myself when I looked to my right where my kids had left a Physics Tycoon computer game. The rest is history. 8-)
Emotionless, prognostication free investing. Ignoring the noise and economists since 1979. Getting rich off of "smart people's" behavioral mistakes.
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

Jupiter Jones was a character in the old "Three Investigators" books--sort of the Gen-X equivalent of The Hardy Boys. I always thought it was a cool name. 8-)

The guy in my avatar is not Jupiter Jones, BTW. That's "Gold Five" from Star Wars, whom I quote in my sig line.
"Stay on target! Stay on target!"
nofacetimber

Post by nofacetimber »

Totally random, but one day I happened to be thinking about trees found in video games. Not normal trees, the ones with facial features. (e.g. The Great Duku Tree, or Old Father/Ancient Oak) These great trees always play an important role and represent an entity with long existence resulting in vast experience and wisdom.

Reflecting on the role these trees play, I thought about how the other trees weren't characterized or esteemed in the same way.

Weird I know,

I guess my username is a representation of that. I'm nobody flashy, not someone with a lot of experience or knowledge in life. Just an average guy. That said, it doesn't mean I can't strive and work towards a greater potential within.
Last edited by nofacetimber on Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SurferLife

Post by SurferLife »

For me, it's the carefree lifestyle I desire to live once I reach FIRE; warm sun tingling the skin, a light breeze with the smell of fresh air, and the sound of ocean waves crashing on the beach. That is where my mind escapes to as I slog out the daily grind. It started as a dream and my personal escape, and now it has become a potential reality thanks to many people here.
Myopic squirrel

Post by Myopic squirrel »

Upon discovering this site and starting to learn about investments, what immediately came to mind is what very little prior investing success I had could be best attributed to the saying "even a blind squirrel finds an acorn occasionally". Since that name was already taken, I thought Myopic was the next best choice. And as an aside, the more time I spend on here, the louder my mantra has become: "I don't know what I don't know!"
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

When you are working indoors all day, you realize how Great it is 2 Be Outdoors when you have free time. :D
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
Vulcan

Post by Vulcan »

First letters of my last name, first name, and patronymic. LLAP!
If you torture the data long enough, it will confess to anything. ~Ronald Coase
IFRider

Post by IFRider »

It literally refers to Independent Fabrication, a boutique bicycle maker in Massachusetts. I bought a steel Crown Jewel used as a demo bike that was also pictured in the Colorado Cyclist catalog back in 1997 or so. I've probably put around 15k miles on the bike and while I don't ride it much anymore, I still keep it around for sentimental reasons.

I also like the symbolic reference to conditional logic in programming and life. I ride my IFs and once a choice is made the path is chosen and there is no going back. Like Marcellus Wallace noted in Pulp Fiction when he told an impatient Jules that he was "contemplating the ifs" before sending The Wolf to clean up the mess.
22twain

Post by 22twain »

In the movie "Murder by Death," the eccentric millionaire Lionel Twain lives at 22 Lola Lane.

I also happen to be a railroad buff.
Last edited by 22twain on Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Meet my pet, Peeve, who loves to convert non-acronyms into acronyms: FED, ROTH, CASH, IVY, ...
jhfenton

Post by jhfenton »

I've been using my original handle since at least college in the late 80's, maybe back to FidoNet days: first initial, middle initial, last name.

I'm not hard to find in person (or on the Internet). I'm even in the "phone book" if you want to stop by for a visit.

You know what's funny. This discussion inspired me to Google myself, and I found a syndicated 1987 article about myself in the Chicago Tribune involving a legal dispute I had with my high school. (It ended happily for me.) I didn't know anything that old was in the newspaper, and I didn't know that story made the news outside of Cincinnati.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

Me + Head-on collision on Interstate 4 = Broken Man 1999 (year happened)

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
FreeAtLast

Post by FreeAtLast »

On my final day of work, as I drove away from my place of employment for the last time, what do you think I yelled out at the top of my lungs? :D
Illegitimi non carborundum.
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

David Jay wrote:
pennstater2005 wrote:Yuuge Ohio State fan!
cute...
Alright. 2005 Penn State grad in physical therapist assistant program. Can't believe I've been doing it for nearly 12 years already!
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson