[New] metro Denver Bogleheads Local Chapter Coordinator]

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
LucyB

Re: metro Denver Bogleheads?

Post by LucyB »

I would be interested.
The above comments are merely an expression of personal opinion and should not be considered advice in any form—tax, legal, financial or otherwise.
amorris101

Post by amorris101 »

I, too, am interested.
4th and Inches

Post by 4th and Inches »

I would be interested in attending in Denver.
5280Tim

Post by 5280Tim »

I’m interested, I live in Stapleton.
Colorado Guy

Post by Colorado Guy »

el47 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:51 pm ...please respond if you would be interested in attending meetings and I will volunteer to be the chapter coordinator if there is enough interest. Thanks!
Dependent upon location, yes, I would be interested (am west of the Metro area). If you are starting this, what is the format you are thinking of?
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Can't believe the Denver Local Chapter never got off the ground with so much expressed interest. That could change now that someone (el47) has stepped up and agreed to be the Local Chapter Coordinator.

Let's get this Chapter up and running!
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
5280Tim

Post by 5280Tim »

How often are the meet-ups? Could we alternate between Lone Tree & Broomfield every other one?
Smartbutnotenough

Post by Smartbutnotenough »

I'm in as well
el47

Post by el47 »

Colorado Guy wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:10 pm
el47 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:51 pm ...please respond if you would be interested in attending meetings and I will volunteer to be the chapter coordinator if there is enough interest. Thanks!
Dependent upon location, yes, I would be interested (am west of the Metro area). If you are starting this, what is the format you are thinking of?
Hi Colorado Guy, I am open to any suggestions on the format for the meetings! I plan to connect with other chapter coordinators soon to find out what works and what doesn't and we, as a group, can decide how we want to initially run things.
el47

Post by el47 »

5280Tim wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:36 am How often are the meet-ups? Could we alternate between Lone Tree & Broomfield every other one?
I do like the idea of alternating locations as long as the turnout is good and the same goes with meeting frequency. We can meet quarterly or even monthly if enough people show up.

I'm excited to see there's interest in getting together!
Wilbery

Post by Wilbery »

I’m interested in joining.
Colorado Guy

Post by Colorado Guy »

el47 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:40 pm Hi Colorado Guy, I am open to any suggestions on the format for the meetings! I plan to connect with other chapter coordinators soon to find out what works and what doesn't and we, as a group, can decide how we want to initially run things.
Since discovering Bogleheads, I have wondered why there wasn't a local chapter as well. I think you have the right approach in checking with the other chapter coordinators. I have attended a few zoom type calls (from other locales) this way on specific topics of interest, but there was limited interaction (more of a presentation style). For in-person meetings, you may want to consider the libraries often have meeting rooms for use by the public for no (?) charge.

If you ask each of us our preferences, you would get a dozen or more answers, some very specific on investment options, side business, SS/Medicare, DIY projects, exploring Colorado in a Boglehead fashion, etc. Not too heavy, please. Of course, the more specific the topic, the fewer people who will be attracted. For some meetings, it would be good to hear from all, both the introverts and the extraverts, what's worked and what's not worked. I don't want to hear time-share pitches, though.

Personally, I am still working out the details on this concept called "retirement", bike rides, hiking, DIY projects, etc. Would like to explore some rewarding volunteer work. Much to enjoy here in Colorado.
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

Appreciate the efforts to get a local Colorado chapter going!
I would be interested in attending. I could make North metro meetings, but understand and cheer on folks who need to stick to South metro options. Maybe rotate? Maybe Golden for a meeting or two?

Thanks and best wishes!
Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

I'm in too.

Dave
"Reality always wins, your only job is to get in touch with it." Wilfred Bion
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

el47 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:51 pm Is the metro Denver chapter still active? If not, please respond if you would be interested in attending meetings and I will volunteer to be the chapter coordinator if there is enough interest. Thanks!
Thank you, Eddie for stepping up and agreeing to revive the Denver Local Chapter. Denver members can use this thread to communicate with each other about meeting dates, times, locations, agendas and whatever.

Here's the official contact information:
Local Chapter Coordinator - el47 (Eddie)
Email address - DENbogleheads@gmail.com

Best of luck on your resurrection!
Lou Orbit

Re: [New] metro Denver Bogleheads Local Chapter Coordinator]

Post by Lou Orbit »

I would attend.
el47

Post by el47 »

Thanks to all of you for expressing interest to revive this Denver chapter. As Mel had mentioned in a previous post, I have created the email address DENbogleheads@gmail.com for correspondence.

For now, I have one small request. Can you fill out the Google Form in the following link to provide me with your contact information (Name, Email, etc.) https://forms.gle/S3LwNmEV89uPswE87 so that I can coordinate our first meeting?

Thanks again!

Eddie
el47

Post by el47 »

Thanks to those of you who have submitted your contact information via Google Forms, Email & PM. I am giving others a few more days to sign up before I reach out to the group to plan our first meeting.

Stay tuned!

Eddie
INDEX_WE_TRUST

Post by INDEX_WE_TRUST »

el47 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:21 pm Thanks to those of you who have submitted your contact information via Google Forms, Email & PM. I am giving others a few more days to sign up before I reach out to the group to plan our first meeting.

Stay tuned!

Eddie
Eddie/Mel,

After completing my bachelors in Finance concentrating in Financial Planning and Wealth Management, I continued to self-educated on various Finance, Economics, and Investing topics. In doing so, I came across Jack's '3-Fund Portfolio, Guide To Investing, Enough'. I am happy to report they have made an invaluable impact on my understanding and approach of the long-haul investment horizon, with many other writings from Jack and many other industry greats still on deck for consuming 8-) Broadly, the aforementioned has become a deep personal interest and hobby as I continue to self-educate and learn the ways of self-directed investment management.

Coincidentally, I have recently moved to Denver and have been wanting to coordinate with this local Denver BogleHeads chapter for over a year now from afar prior to my move. I'd like to offer my help and support to coordinated meetings, facilitate topic discussions and promote our local chapter growth.

I am very interested in helping both yourself and Mel get Denver off the ground and put it on the MAP, as a BogleHead destination for annual meetings.

Please contact me via PM, where we can exchange info, have an introductory phone conference and get the ball rolling.

I have also emailed you at the Denver chapters email address provided by Mel in a previous post.

:sharebeer
Last edited by INDEX_WE_TRUST on Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:03 am, edited 4 times in total.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

INDEX_WE_TRUST wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:47 am
el47 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:21 pm Thanks to those of you who have submitted your contact information via Google Forms, Email & PM. I am giving others a few more days to sign up before I reach out to the group to plan our first meeting.

Stay tuned!

Eddie
Eddie/Mel,

After completing my bachelors in Finance concentrating in Financial Planning and Wealth Management, I continued to self-educated on various Finance, Economics, and Investing topics. In doing so, I came across Jack's '3-Fund Portfolio, Guide To Investing, Enough'. I am happy to report they have made an invaluable impact on my understanding and approach of the long-haul investment horizon, with many other writings from Jack and many other industry greats still on deck for consuming 8-) Broadly, the aforementioned has become a deep personal interest and hobby as I continue to self-educate and learn the ways of self-directed investment management.

Coincidentally, I have recently moved to Denver and have been wanting to coordinate with this local Denver BogleHeads chapter for over a year now from afar prior to my move. I'd like to offer my help and support to coordinated meetings, facilitate topic discussions and promote our local chapter growth.

I am very interested in helping both yourself and Mel get Denver off the ground and put it on the MAP, as a BogleHead destination for annual meetings.

Please contact me via PM, where we can exchange info, have an introductory phone conference and get the ball rolling.

I have also emailed you at the Denver chapters email address provided by Mel in a previous post.

:sharebeer
Thanks for offering to help with the Denver chapter. I'm sure it will be appreciated.
el47

Post by el47 »

To All Denver Metro Bogleheads:

Our first meeting has been scheduled! Here are the details:

Date: Sunday, July 11th
Time: 2:00-3:00pm
Location: Drip Denver (in the Capitol Hill neighborhood, Beauvallon building)
955 Lincoln St, Suite G
Denver, CO 80203
www.dripdenver.com

Parking info: Free parking is available in the Beauvallon's garage located off Lincoln Street between 9th and 10th. There are two entrances to the garage located on either side of Drip Denver.

We have the upstairs loft reserved for our private use. If you decide to purchase food/drink in the shop, please let them know that you're with the group that's meeting in the loft so that your purchase can be applied to potentially waive their reasonable rental fee.

If you plan to attend, please RSVP via PM (el47) or email (DENBogleheads@gmail.com) so that I can get an accurate headcount.

Thanks!

Eddie
el47

Post by el47 »

To All Denver Metro Bogleheads:

After a long hiatus, we will be having our second meeting this Sunday at Drip Denver (same venue as our last meeting). Apologies for the last minute posting on this thread. Here are the details:

Date: Sunday, February 20th
Time: 10:00-11:00am
Location: Drip Denver (in the Capitol Hill neighborhood, Beauvallon building)
955 Lincoln St, Suite G
Denver, CO 80203
www.dripdenver.com

Parking info: Free parking is available in the Beauvallon's garage located off Lincoln Street between 9th and 10th. There are two entrances to the garage located on either side of Drip Denver.

We have the upstairs loft reserved for our private use. If you decide to purchase food/drink in the shop, please let them know that you're with the group that's meeting in the loft so that your purchase can be applied to potentially waive their reasonable rental fee.

Thanks!

Eddie
Rockyalt9

Post by Rockyalt9 »

Rats, I just saw the get together is today 2/20, for
Denver. Please let me know when will be the next
one. I live in Denver and need to improve my
asset allocations!
5280Tim

Post by 5280Tim »

Enjoyed the time with everyone today. I look forward to the next one.
el47

Post by el47 »

Thanks for coming! Our next meeting is scheduled for Saturday, April 16th (location & time TBD), and we plan to meet every 2 months.

Please post topics that are of interest and we will build out a calendar where we will address one or two of them each meeting.

Rockyalt9 - We'll certainly discuss asset allocation at one of the upcoming meetings!
seachicken

Post by seachicken »

Hi, I see I just missed the latest meeting. Is the Denver chapter still active?
Thanks
5280Tim

Post by 5280Tim »

seachicken wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 4:18 pm Hi, I see I just missed the latest meeting. Is the Denver chapter still active?
Thanks
Yes, next meeting is Sunday, June 12th, from 1:30-3pm at the Lakewood Library's meeting room. (10200 W 20th Ave, Lakewood, CO 80215)
seachicken

Post by seachicken »

Fantastic! Thank you!! I hope to see you there.
BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy »

5280Tim wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 6:36 pmYes, next meeting is Sunday, June 12th, from 1:30-3pm at the Lakewood Library's meeting room. (10200 W 20th Ave, Lakewood, CO 80215)
Is this still a "go" for June 12th?

Any Boulderites need a ride (I can take 2 people).
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect
5280Tim

Post by 5280Tim »

I’ll be there. See you Sunday!
el47

Post by el47 »

BolderBoy wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:40 am
5280Tim wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 6:36 pmYes, next meeting is Sunday, June 12th, from 1:30-3pm at the Lakewood Library's meeting room. (10200 W 20th Ave, Lakewood, CO 80215)
Is this still a "go" for June 12th?

Any Boulderites need a ride (I can take 2 people).
Yup, the meeting is still a "go" for Sunday, June 12th, from 1:30-3pm at the Lakewood Library. See you there!
BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy »

Very nice meeting, thank you!
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect
5280Tim

Post by 5280Tim »

Great to see everyone. Looking forward to August.
M22RPCV

Post by M22RPCV »

I just recently read The Boglehead’s Guide to investing and am interested in the Denver chapter. I was reading through the posts and saw you plan to meet again in August. What’s discussed at the meetings? Thank You
5280Tim

Post by 5280Tim »

M22RPCV wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:28 pm I just recently read The Boglehead’s Guide to investing and am interested in the Denver chapter. I was reading through the posts and saw you plan to meet again in August. What’s discussed at the meetings? Thank You
Topics are fluid each time. Last time we discussed recasting mortgages, I Bonds, and a couple of other things like deck prices and lazy investing policies. If you’ve got something you would like to discuss, post it up and I’m sure it could be included in the itinerary.
BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy »

5280Tim wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:22 pm Great to see everyone. Looking forward to August.
I presume we are going to skip August...
letahl

Post by letahl »

I'm interested in meetings north of Denver if anyone else lives up this way and finds Denver a bit of a long shot.
OldTimer

Post by OldTimer »

I would be interested also if north side of Denver or south of Longmont.
Zeno

Post by Zeno »

deleted
Last edited by Zeno on Wed Dec 28, 2022 6:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Flobes

Post by Flobes »

Zeno wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:20 am I'm up in Wyoming and would be happy to participate in the Denver group remotely or otherwise support it. I'm in Denver about once a quarter but the odds of ever making a meeting in person are about nil -- unless it coincided with an Avs' game :).
I'm in Colorado, west of The Divide, and would be happy to participate in the Denver group remotely or otherwise support it. I'm in Denver about once a quarter but the odds of ever making a meeting in person are about nil.
el47

Post by el47 »

Hi Denver Metro Bogleheads!

Sorry we skipped the meeting in August. I'm planning our next meeting for Sunday, September 18, from 1:30-3pm. Topic(s) and Location are TBD.

I'll post additional details in this thread and in our email distribution list by the end of the week.

Thanks!
Colorado14

Post by Colorado14 »

el47 wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 11:03 pm Hi Denver Metro Bogleheads!

Sorry we skipped the meeting in August. I'm planning our next meeting for Sunday, September 18, from 1:30-3pm. Topic(s) and Location are TBD.

I'll post additional details in this thread and in our email distribution list by the end of the week.

Thanks!

Thank you for the update and for your leadership!
el47

Post by el47 »

Dear Metro Denver Bogleheads,

We will be meeting on Sunday, September 18th, from 1:30-3pm at the Lakewood Library's meeting room again (10200 W 20th Ave, Lakewood, CO 80215). Please post/send me any topic requests.

Hope to see some of you there!

Eddie
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy »

September 18 it is. Thank you.

Topic Request: A bit about using ATM/debit cards to make large, local, cash withdrawals from any random brick-and-mortar financial institution. I'll bring the actual scenario my BFF claims to use with success. (I rarely use ATMs so am pretty much a novice in this arena)
el47

Post by el47 »

Thanks BolderBoy! Yes, we can discuss ATM/debit card usage and your BFF's scenario.

I've also asked an insurance broker to give a [virtual] presentation on Property & Casualty insurance (auto/home/etc) at this meeting. I expect the presentation to last roughly 30 minutes and 15+ minutes for Q&A.
BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy »

el47 wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:18 pm I've also asked an insurance broker to give a [virtual] presentation on Property & Casualty insurance (auto/home/etc) at this meeting. I expect the presentation to last roughly 30 minutes and 15+ minutes for Q&A.
That sounds interesting. Thank you!
5280Tim

Post by 5280Tim »

See everyone on Sunday.
BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy »

Thank you Ed for setting this up and everyone who attended, too!

Looking forward to an early November meeting.
el47

Post by el47 »

Dear Denver Metro Bogleheads,

It's been too long... I have scheduled our next meeting for Saturday, May 6th, from 1:30-3:00pm in the community room at the Sam Gary Branch Library (2961 Roslyn St, Denver, CO 80238) in the Central Park/Stapleton area.

The meeting will be informal. Topic requests include long-term care insurance, disability insurance, and backdoor Roth IRAs. Please let me know if there's anything else you'd like us to cover in this meeting or a future meeting (planning to meet every 2 months).

I look forward to seeing you there!

Eddie