San Antonio TX Chapter - Master Thread

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
bdrolan

San Antonio TX Chapter - Master Thread

Post by bdrolan »

[Title was "San Antonio Local Chapter Established" --admin LadyGeek]

I see info on an Austin/Central TX Chapter, but anyone know of a San Antonio Chapter?
Mel Lindauer

Re: [Interested in starting a] San Antonio Chapter?

Post by Mel Lindauer »

bdrolan wrote:I see info on an Austin/Central TX Chapter, but anyone know of a San Antonio Chapter?
If we get four more folks from the San Antonio area who are interested in getting a Local Bogleheads Chapter started and one of you agrees to be the Local Chapter Coordinator, I'll make it official and add your group to the Local Chapters Map so others can find and contact you.

Let me know via PM.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
sharpjm

Post by sharpjm »

I would be interested.
15202guy

Post by 15202guy »

I would be interested!
jjbiv

Post by jjbiv »

I'm interested.
NoGambleNoFuture

Post by NoGambleNoFuture »

In Wimberley and essentially halfway between the steck library in Austin and SA :oops:
Crazy_Aussie

Post by Crazy_Aussie »

Count me in.
210Boglehead

Post by 210Boglehead »

I am interested as well.
Topic Author
bdrolan

Post by bdrolan »

I've got to say.....pretty awesome.

I'd take the reigns on the Coordinator spot, but I'm swamped with 1yr old, job, military reserves, etc. I'll help how I can though.
Coogs

Post by Coogs »

I would be interested, too.
kipicanoe

Post by kipicanoe »

I am also interested in a San Antonio chapter.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

OK, there's more than enough interest in getting a San Antonio Chapter started. All we need now is for someone to step up and agree to be the Coordinator. That person doesn't have to be an investing guru; they just communicate with the members about meeting dates, times, locations, agendas, etc. And members can use this Local Chapters sub-forum to communicate with each other.

If someone wants to volunteer, PM me and we'll get the ball rolling.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
Herekittykitty

Post by Herekittykitty »

I would attend when in town.
I don't know anything.
Nobodyspecial

Post by Nobodyspecial »

I'm interested in joining as well.
Mel Lindauer

Re: San Antonio Local Chapter Established

Post by Mel Lindauer »

OK, San Antonio Bogleheads; you now have a Local Chapter.

Royce has stepped up and agreed to the the Local Chapter Coordinator. You can use this sub-forum to communicate with each other about meeting dates, times, locations, agendas, etc.

The email address for the Local Chapter is SanAntonioBogleheads@gmail.com.

I'll add your group to the Local Chapters Map and you'll be in business.

Good luck!

Best regards,

Mel
sam_m

Post by sam_m »

I am also interested to join...
9to5er

Post by 9to5er »

Hi San Antonio Bogleheads,

I am thinking to setup the first meeting in mid September. It would be helpful to know the following:

1) Time preference: Week day (lunch/noon); week night (6:30pm), or Saturday morning (10am)?
2) Do you have a recommended location? I personally do not prefer a restaurant for such meetings, but I'll be open. I'm seeing if hosting the meeting in my office building (281 & 1604). Would that work for the group? (I realize it is not necessarily centrally located).

You may respond to the forum or to the chapter email address: sanantoniobogleheads@gmail.com

-Royce
1210sda

Post by 1210sda »

Email link doesn't work for me......
9to5er

Post by 9to5er »

Just tested both the link in my post as well as Mel's post; both worked for me. The email address works for sure, so options are to type the address, or cut-n-paste it in your email.

(When I clicked the link, the browser asked what app I wish to use. After I selected one, it opened the app with that email in the TO: space.)
bzargarcia

Post by bzargarcia »

Count me in. I'd prefer Saturday or week night. 281 and 1604 would be good for me. I'm near Helotes.

Bart
sss2009

Post by sss2009 »

Agree with most. Evenings and 281/1604 works for me.

I would be interested too.

Thanks for organizing.

sss2009
burnsh

Post by burnsh »

I'm interested. Either evenings or Saturday morning. Proposed location is perfect for me. :D
Burnsh | ______________________________________ | VFIAX 17%, VVIAX 17%, VEXAX 16%, VTIAX 21%, VGSIX 9%, VIPSX 10%, VBMFX 10%
9to5er

Post by 9to5er »

OK, San Antonio (and area) Bogleheads, I have a conference room reserved for September 14th at 6:30. The address is 19026 Ridgewood Parkway, San Antonio, TX 78259. Come in the front of the building and we'll be just to the right on the first floor.

See you then!
9to5er

Post by 9to5er »

Just to clarify, that is 6:30pm (on a Thursday evening.)
burnsh

Post by burnsh »

Meeting still on for tonight?
Burnsh | ______________________________________ | VFIAX 17%, VVIAX 17%, VEXAX 16%, VTIAX 21%, VGSIX 9%, VIPSX 10%, VBMFX 10%
9to5er

Post by 9to5er »

Mark your calendar for the next meeting on November 16th at 7pm. We'll focus on portfolio allocation and re-balancing as it'll be the last meeting before the new year. You might also bring any "holiday spending hacks/tips" to share.

At last night's meeting we had a great discussion that helped us get to know each other, what led us to this meeting and bogleheads in general, what we hope to get out of these meetings, etc. We confirmed that there will not be an end to the topics to discuss and it won't get boring! I hope you'll be able to join us in November.

-Royce
bzargarcia

Post by bzargarcia »

I had a blast. See everyone Nov 16.

Bart
Crazy_Aussie

Post by Crazy_Aussie »

Yes, it was great to meet other people passionate about personal finances.
Looking forward to sharing ideas and tips, including those that are only applicable at the local level!

Al
Topic Author
bdrolan

Post by bdrolan »

Mentioned to 9to5er that I had some last minute work travel that came up. Sorry I missed it.

I will hopefully be at the Nov meeting, as long as nothing else pops up.
9to5er

Post by 9to5er »

Reminder: In just two weeks we will have the next San Antonio Bogleheads meeting. See you on November 16th at 7pm. The address is 19026 Ridgewood Parkway, San Antonio, TX 78259. You are welcome to come early to visit with other Bogleheads prior to the meeting. Map of the location here: https://www.google.com/maps/dir//29.617 ... 193,15.37z
Last edited by 9to5er on Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chiron

Post by Chiron »

I just discovered this local SA group and will to try to make the meet-up next Thursday. Always glad to meet others interested in personal finance.
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

I am curious what you guys do when you meet.
9to5er

Post by 9to5er »

flyingaway wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:20 pm I am curious what you guys do when you meet.
It's a discussion group of individuals with a common interest in wealth management strategies. Although this will only be our second meeting, we were not at all at a loss for topics in our first meeting. We selected a topic of focus for this upcoming meeting (as stated above), but I cannot guarantee we will hold strictly to the topic. This is being held in a meeting room (with option for expanding depending on the numbers). We chose not to hold it at a restaurant as we feel this is better/more flexible for group discussion, but anyone is welcome to bring snacks to share with the group :)

Hope you can join us!
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

9to5er wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:11 am
flyingaway wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:20 pm I am curious what you guys do when you meet.
It's a discussion group of individuals with a common interest in wealth management strategies. Although this will only be our second meeting, we were not at all at a loss for topics in our first meeting. We selected a topic of focus for this upcoming meeting (as stated above), but I cannot guarantee we will hold strictly to the topic. This is being held in a meeting room (with option for expanding depending on the numbers). We chose not to hold it at a restaurant as we feel this is better/more flexible for group discussion, but anyone is welcome to bring snacks to share with the group :)

Hope you can join us!
Thanks! I am an introvert and do not usually join group meeting. I was just curious about what bogleheads want to talk about that they cannot talk about here online.
9to5er

Post by 9to5er »

In just two weeks we will have the next San Antonio Bogleheads meeting. See you on January 25th at 6:30pm. The location is a bit tricky to find, so aside from this address, be sure to look at the map (see link). The address is 19026 Ridgewood Parkway, San Antonio, TX 78259. Map of the location here: https://www.google.com/maps/dir//29.617 ... 193,15.37z

If you have any questions, email: sanantoniobogleheads@gmail.com

9to5er

Next San Antonio Chapter Meeting

Post by 9to5er »

We had an enjoyable meeting last night where the group continued to build camaraderie. As we have had requests to have a Saturday meeting, our next meeting will be held at the same location (see previous post) on Saturday, March 24th at 10am. Come join us in March! Among other topics, we will discuss Investment Policy Statements https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Investm ... _statement. Do you have one?

If you need a reminder email closer to the meeting date, send an email to SanAntonioBogleheads@gmail.com and request a meeting reminder!
9to5er

Re: Next San Antonio Chapter Meeting

Post by 9to5er »

9to5er wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:10 pm We had an enjoyable meeting last night where the group continued to build camaraderie. As we have had requests to have a Saturday meeting, our next meeting will be held at the same location (see previous post) on Saturday, March 24th at 10am. Come join us in March! Among other topics, we will discuss Investment Policy Statements https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Investm ... _statement. Do you have one?

If you need a reminder email closer to the meeting date, send an email to SanAntonioBogleheads@gmail.com and request a meeting reminder!
Reminder - It's THIS SATURDAY! (3/24/2018)!
Cody

Post by Cody »

Congrats on this project from someone who belongs to the Minnesota Chapter. (MNBH)

One of the really cool things that has happened here is that we have two additional "coffee" groups that meet as well. They are adjuncts to the big group. The main group meets 4 times a year and the coffe groups (much smaller) meet on the in-between times.

The group I head up has about 10-15 people who show up at a local Caribou coffee shop. We have less of an agenda in general than the main group (general about 60-70 attend that).

The nice thing about the small coffee groups is that they has more flexiblity to address specific questions and concerns of the people who attend.

It is my opinion that the coffee groups are among the many reasons Minnesota Bogleheads continue to grow. It sort of surprises me in some ways that the coffee groups have evolved to be so vibrant and vital to MNBH. But it really works well here.

Good Luck,
Cody
9to5er

Post by 9to5er »

Cody wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:13 pm Congrats on this project from someone who belongs to the Minnesota Chapter. (MNBH)

One of the really cool things that has happened here is that we have two additional "coffee" groups that meet as well. They are adjuncts to the big group. The main group meets 4 times a year and the coffe groups (much smaller) meet on the in-between times.

The group I head up has about 10-15 people who show up at a local Caribou coffee shop. We have less of an agenda in general than the main group (general about 60-70 attend that).

The nice thing about the small coffee groups is that they has more flexiblity to address specific questions and concerns of the people who attend.

It is my opinion that the coffee groups are among the many reasons Minnesota Bogleheads continue to grow. It sort of surprises me in some ways that the coffee groups have evolved to be so vibrant and vital to MNBH. But it really works well here.

Good Luck,
Cody

First let me say congrats to you and the Minnesota Chapter. Our San Antonio group has a lot of growing to do as our meetings are currently no bigger than your smaller "coffee" groups. Hopefully, we will get there, so I appreciate the input as we hope to keep growing. We may work out similar with the Saturday morning meetings being the big meeting and the Thursday evenings as the smaller group meetings, but that has yet to be determined. Thanks again for the feedback.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Cody wrote: Congrats on this project from someone who belongs to the Minnesota Chapter. (MNBH)

One of the really cool things that has happened here is that we have two additional "coffee" groups that meet as well. They are adjuncts to the big group. The main group meets 4 times a year and the coffee groups (much smaller) meet on the in-between times.

Good Luck,
Cody
Cody, thanks for sharing the secret (or one of the secrets) for your Minnesota Bogleheads success! We all wondered what was going on up there in the cold north, I mean, 60-70 Bogleheads at a local chapter meeting is truly awesome!
9to5er wrote: Our San Antonio group has a lot of growing to do as our meetings are currently no bigger than your smaller "coffee" groups. Hopefully, we will get there, so I appreciate the input as we hope to keep growing. We may work out similar with the Saturday morning meetings being the big meeting and the Thursday evenings as the smaller group meetings, but that has yet to be determined.
Good luck 9to5er! Keep it up and you will grow, check out other local chapter threads for ideas. Our South Florida local chapter began years ago with just a few members and recently we had 56 confirmed attendees at our last meeting in January 2018. Providing a little food helps - it's hard to discuss finance on an empty stomach :shock:
9to5er

Post by 9to5er »

Our last meeting on Saturday morning had a better turnout, so we will continue with that time slot. Please join us at the next San Antonio Bogleheads meeting on Saturday, May 26th at 10am. The primary topic for this meeting will be "Retirement Planning - How much will I spend?"

As stated previously, the location is a bit tricky to find, so be sure to look at the map (see link). The address is 19026 Ridgewood Parkway, San Antonio, TX 78259. Map of the location here: https://www.google.com/maps/dir//29.617 ... 193,15.37z

9to5er

Next San Antonio Local Chapter Meeting

Post by 9to5er »

Please join us for great discussions at the next San Antonio Bogleheads meeting on Saturday, July 28th at 10 am.

Be sure to look at this map link below as the address may not be correctly identified by your GPS: 19026 Ridgewood Parkway, San Antonio, TX 78259. https://www.google.com/maps/dir//29.617 ... 193,15.37z

If you would like to be on the email list for meeting notifications, send an email to SanAntonioBogleheads@gmail.com and you'll be added to the list!
Last edited by 9to5er on Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
9to5er

Post by 9to5er »

Please join us for great discussions at the next San Antonio Bogleheads meeting on Saturday, October 6th at 10 am.

Be sure to look at this map link below as the address may not be correctly identified by your GPS: 19026 Ridgewood Parkway, San Antonio, TX 78259. https://www.google.com/maps/dir//29.617 ... 193,15.37z

If you would like to be on the email list for meeting notifications, send an email to SanAntonioBogleheads@gmail.com and you'll be added to the list!
9to5er

Post by 9to5er »

Mark your calendars now for the next meeting on Saturday, December 15th (2018) at 10am (to 11:30). It's free, so come join us for a great discussion!

This meeting will be held at a new location - RE/MAX Realty Advantage. The address is 17319 San Pedro Ave #206, San Antonio, TX 78232.

indexlover

Post by indexlover »

I don't see this chapter listed in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=778&fbclid=IwAR1vgk ... pIYUCpGlo0

Can you please PM one of the admins and add the chapter. I am not from San Antonio and I don't know who the local contact would be.
“If a statue is ever erected to honor the person who has done the most for American investors, the hands-down choice should be Jack Bogle.” - Mr. Buffett - Berkshire Hathaway ’s 2016 annual report.
indexlover

Post by indexlover »

deleted
Last edited by indexlover on Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“If a statue is ever erected to honor the person who has done the most for American investors, the hands-down choice should be Jack Bogle.” - Mr. Buffett - Berkshire Hathaway ’s 2016 annual report.
9to5er

Post by 9to5er »

indexlover wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:24 pm I don't see this chapter listed in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=778&fbclid=IwAR1vgk ... pIYUCpGlo0

Can you please PM one of the admins and add the chapter. I am not from San Antonio and I don't know who the local contact would be.
I messaged the admins to ensure we get added to the list. Thanks.
9to5er

Re: San Antonio TX Chapter - Master Thread

Post by 9to5er »

Mark your calendars now for the next meeting on Saturday, February 16, 2019 at 10am (to 11:30). It's free, so come join us for a great discussion!

This meeting will be held at RE/MAX Realty Advantage. The address is 17319 San Pedro Ave #206, San Antonio, TX 78232 https://www.google.com/maps/place/RE%2 ... 98.4723475.

9to5er

Post by 9to5er »

San Antonio Bogleheads,

Our next meeting is in less than two weeks! We look forward to seeing you on Saturday, April 13, 2019 at 10am (to 11:30). Come join us for insights from a special guest speaker, Rick Ferri - a Bogleheads reading list author!

This meeting will be held at RE/MAX Realty Advantage. The address is 17319 San Pedro Ave #206, San Antonio, TX 78232

To be on the email list for future meeting notifications, send an email to SanAntonioBogleheads@gmail.com.
9to5er

Post by 9to5er »

Our next San Antonio Bogleheads meeting is just two weeks away! Come join us on Saturday, June 15th at 10am (until 11:30) where we'll have an open discussion on your financial strategies and options that follow the Bogleheads philosophy.

Meeting location: RE/MAX Realty Advantage at 17319 San Pedro Ave #206, San Antonio, TX 78232 https://www.google.com/maps/place/29%C ... -98.472305.