Metro Atlanta Bogleheads Local Chapter

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
vbonthu

Metro Atlanta Bogleheads Local Chapter

Post by vbonthu »

It would be nice to meet bogleheads face to face, I live in Atlanta Suburbs , lets plan a small get together and share some of our stories...
VTI VYM VOO VTSAX VITPX
AtlantaFamily-2013

Re: Metro Atlanta Bogleheads?

Post by AtlantaFamily-2013 »

I would be interested as well.
peacefulmargin

Post by peacefulmargin »

I would like to attend as well. I live North of the City - Woodstock.
zeep

Post by zeep »

+1 :happy :idea:
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

If we get five or more Bogleheads who are interested in forming an Atlanta Local Chapter, all we need is for one of you to agree to be the Local Chapter Coordinator and you'll be in business. That person doesn't have to be an investing "guru", but rather simply communicates with the members about meeting dates, locations, times, agendas, etc.

If we have a volunteer, please contact me via PM.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
ERISA Stone

Post by ERISA Stone »

passivestream wrote:I would like to attend as well. I live North of the City - Woodstock.
Woodstock here also!
Topic Author
vbonthu

Post by vbonthu »

I live in Alpharetta .. lets plan and meet in one of the local libraries ...
VTI VYM VOO VTSAX VITPX
Tamahome

Post by Tamahome »

I am in Newnan, but that seems somewhat distant from some of the people that have posted. If there are other central or south people, perhaps Buckhead would be a central location? If not, ignore me and party on.
I'm not a financial professional. Post is info only & not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship exists with reader. Scrutinize my ideas as if you spoke with a guy at a bar. I may be wrong.
SRenaeP

Post by SRenaeP »

I live in West Cobb and would be interested in a local chapter as well.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Anyone want to agree to be the Local Chapter coordinator? If so, PM me and we'll get the chapter going.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

OK, Atlanta Bogleheads, your existing Local Chapter has a new Coordinator. Steph has stepped up and agreed to take on the task. You can contact Steph about ATL Local Chapter matters at AtlantaBogleheads@gmail.com.

You can also use this Local Chapters sub-forum to communicate with other ATL Bogleheads.

The new contact information has been added to the Local Chapters Map so others can find and contact you.

Thanks for stepping up, Steph. Good luck on getting the group going again.
ColinFCodeChef

Re: Metro Atlanta Bogleheads Local Chapter

Post by ColinFCodeChef »

I second something located a little more centrally, like Buckhead, as I am not north of the city.
SRenaeP

Post by SRenaeP »

Hello all,

I've created a survey to get a feel for what everyone's preferences are for meetings. Please take a minute or two and complete it. Thanks.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/7LXWG2P

-Steph
AtlantaFamily-2013

Post by AtlantaFamily-2013 »

Im located on the southside of Atlanta.. something in Atlanta within the city would be great as a central location.
Tamahome

Post by Tamahome »

How did the survey go?
I'm not a financial professional. Post is info only & not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship exists with reader. Scrutinize my ideas as if you spoke with a guy at a bar. I may be wrong.
niceguy7376

Post by niceguy7376 »

Missed this post earlier. I would love to be part of this. I filled out the survey now.
Alpharetta area but open to travel a bit for these meetings.
SRenaeP

Post by SRenaeP »

Dulocracy wrote:How did the survey go?
I've been out of town. I will post the results tonight and start making plans for a meeting.

-Steph
SRenaeP

Post by SRenaeP »

Here are the survey results for those who are interested. In a nutshell, we will meet quarterly ITP. I will post more details as the planning comes along.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/results/SM-ZKW6CWFW/

-Steph
johnny847

Post by johnny847 »

I too am interested
LEH50

Post by LEH50 »

What happened with this? I'm in Kennesaw
SRenaeP

Post by SRenaeP »

Sorry guys, work has been crazy so I haven't had a chance to try to coordinate anything yet. It seems that most people would prefer to meet ITP. Is there anyone who lives ITP who is willing to reserve a meeting room for us at one of the local libraries? If so, please PM me. Thanks.

-Steph
Cuzz35

Post by Cuzz35 »

I would attend an Atlanta chapter meeting.

Steph, sorry for my ignorance but what does ITP stand for?
Big Mig

Post by Big Mig »

Inside The Perimeter.
mrsevansc

Post by mrsevansc »

Did anything come of this?
cybadiver

Post by cybadiver »

Hi All ... would like to join and understand it is agreed to meet ITP, which is fine with me. If you need someone to find a location in the Roswell/Alpharetta area I'd be happy to do that (sorry, don't know the ITP area well enough to scope out a location there). Also, any sections on this website that you recommend a new visitor start with would be appreciated.
SRenaeP

Post by SRenaeP »

I'm still hoping someone will volunteer to reserve a library space ITP. Only residents can reserve a room. I live in Cobb Co and the only library with meeting space ITP is in Vinings but there isn't much parking. I'm open to any and all suggestions.

-Steph
johnny847

Post by johnny847 »

SRenaeP wrote:I'm still hoping someone will volunteer to reserve a library space ITP. Only residents can reserve a room. I live in Cobb Co and the only library with meeting space ITP is in Vinings but there isn't much parking. I'm open to any and all suggestions.

-Steph
Why not just meet at Piedmont Park or something?
AndreaZachrisson

Post by AndreaZachrisson »

Hi,

I am very new to boggleheads and investing. I livebinnMidtown and would love to meet! My building has a great business center/media and conference room on the 23rd floor If you are interested in meeting here. We have free coffee. Let me know if that works. Either way I would like to meet anywhere
AndreaZachrisson

I can also reserve a room in Peachtree library. I moved recently to Atlanta but I can do it. Let me know. Steph I can also help you coordinate meetings if you need help :D
SRenaeP

Post by SRenaeP »

AndreaZachrisson wrote:I can also reserve a room in Peachtree library. I moved recently to Atlanta but I can do it. Let me know. Steph I can also help you coordinate meetings if you need help :D
Thanks! Check your private messages.

-Steph
miles monroe

Post by miles monroe »

AndreaZachrisson wrote:
We have free coffee.
that'll get every boglehead within a 100 mile radius. hope that conference room is a big one. :)

seriously, nice of you to make the offer.
AndreaZachrisson

It would be my pleasure. We are talking with Steph about the different options. The Peachtree Library is taken already every Saturday and Sundays is closed. Weekdays are usually open from 10AM to 6PM. I can host the first meeting so we can meet each other and decide where our next meeting can be. We were discussing with Steph also having it around Piedmont Park, maybe at a coffee place. Does anyone know aprox how many boggleheads are in Atlanta? Again, I would be happy to host the first if we are not in the hundreds :happy

Let me know
OatmealAddict

Post by OatmealAddict »

Checking in from Smyrna. I'd definitely be interested in attending a meetup.
mb2016

Post by mb2016 »

Hello fellow ATL Bogleheads. I am interested to attend as well.
johnny847

Post by johnny847 »

AndreaZachrisson wrote:It would be my pleasure. We are talking with Steph about the different options. The Peachtree Library is taken already every Saturday and Sundays is closed. Weekdays are usually open from 10AM to 6PM. I can host the first meeting so we can meet each other and decide where our next meeting can be. We were discussing with Steph also having it around Piedmont Park, maybe at a coffee place. Does anyone know aprox how many boggleheads are in Atlanta? Again, I would be happy to host the first if we are not in the hundreds :happy

Let me know
Perhaps we should just propose a time and place and see how many responses we get. If we get too many we could change the venue.
AndreaZachrisson

What do you think of the Saturday the 24th of September. We can do it in Midtown. Again, depending on how many we are we can do it at the business center in my bulding. Should we do morning or afternoon?
GMan82

Post by GMan82 »

I happen to live in midtown. It would be a shame to miss this meeting.
johnny847

Post by johnny847 »

Sadly I will be on a 2 week trip to Peru at the time.

Let me know how the meeting goes though!
SRenaeP

Post by SRenaeP »

Andrea has graciously created a survey to determine which weekend works for everyone. Right now, we're going to go with a Saturday at 10am. Please complete the survey so final arrangements can be made. Thanks.

https://surveyplanet.com/57c49b2de23cc6112ad8c1bd

-Steph
fcribbs

Post by fcribbs »

I am located in Flowery Branch, north of Atlanta. I'm interested as well!

Fred C
If you mean to do a job, and mean do it really, do it not by halves, but fully, freely..
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

SRenaeP wrote:Andrea has graciously created a survey to determine which weekend works for everyone. Right now, we're going to go with a Saturday at 10am. Please complete the survey so final arrangements can be made. Thanks.

-Steph
Final arrangements sound so final. :-)

(It might not be very funny, but at least it will bump the thread for others to see.)
SRenaeP

Post by SRenaeP »

For those on this thread who have not sent me an email, please do so at atlantabogleheads at {Google's email service} so that I can compile a list in order to notify people of upcoming meetings, etc. For now, I think we will try quarterly unless there's an overwhelming interest in meeting monthly.

-Steph
AndreaZachrisson

Hi everyone,

So far we've had 12 participants on the survey. Saturday the 10th is wining with 45.5% competing with the 17th (36.4%). I will wait until tomorrow and will send you the results so please vote if you haven't done it already. Link is on the previous post.

Have a great day!
Andrea
AndreaZachrisson

Here are the final results: Our first meeting will be Saturday 10th of September at 10AM. Details to follow :)

AndreaZachrisson

AndreaZachrisson wrote:Here are the final results: Our first meeting will be Saturday 10th of September at 10AM. Details to follow :)

Sorry this link just takes you to the survey not the results. The 10th won with 50% and we had 15 participants.
Cuzz35

Post by Cuzz35 »

Andrea,

I will attend the meeting if you will send me the information. I missed the survey as I haven't followed this thread to closely.

It might be worth pming those that have posted on here in the past as they might notice that.

Excited to meet everyone.
SRenaeP

Post by SRenaeP »

The meeting location has been set. If you have not already done so, please send an email to atlantabogleheads at {Google's email service} so that you can be added to the mailing list. Andrea has graciously agreed to host the first meeting in her building but I won't post the address/information publicly for privacy/safety concerns. Thanks for your understanding and hope to see you all on Saturday.

-Steph
mol3dad

Post by mol3dad »

Hi Just happened on the Forum today, I was wondering if there was an Atlanta chapter/meetup group and to my surprise there is! To my good luck there is a meeting happening in a matter of days.

I'm new to Bogleheads but familiar with most investing topics. I would love to attend the session. I've sent an email to the chapter gmail account. Looking forward to it and to learning more, while letting go of bad practices "market timing to be one."

Cheers!
Tamahome

Post by Tamahome »

I cannot make this one (I put it on the calendar for the 24th and did not come back here until today), but I am definitely interested in the next one.
AndreaZachrisson

mol3dad wrote:Hi Just happened on the Forum today, I was wondering if there was an Atlanta chapter/meetup group and to my surprise there is! To my good luck there is a meeting happening in a matter of days.

I'm new to Bogleheads but familiar with most investing topics. I would love to attend the session. I've sent an email to the chapter gmail account. Looking forward to it and to learning more, while letting go of bad practices "market timing to be one."

Cheers!

Great!! See you on Saturday!