Metro Atlanta Bogleheads Local Chapter

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
SRenaeP

Re: Metro Atlanta Bogleheads Local Chapter

Post by SRenaeP »

We had our first meeting today which went very well. Thanks to everyone who showed up!

The next two meetings will be held Saturday, October 22 at 10am (topic - retirement accounts for self-employed individuals) and Saturday, January 7 at 10am (topic - TBD).

I will post reminders here but please send an e-mail to atlantabogleheads at {Google's e-mail service} if you'd like to be added to the e-mail list.

-Steph
SRenaeP

Post by SRenaeP »

Bumping as a reminder that our next meeting will be Saturday, October 22 at 10am.
SRenaeP

Post by SRenaeP »

Our previously scheduled January meeting was postponed due to the inclement weather.

The new day/time is Saturday, January 28th at 10am.

-Steph
mol3dad

Post by mol3dad »

Hi Steph,

Is it in the same location as last time?

Thanks for the update!
SRenaeP

Post by SRenaeP »

mol3dad wrote:Hi Steph,

Is it in the same location as last time?

Thanks for the update!
Yes. I will send an e-mail tonight with all the details.

-Steph
SRenaeP

Post by SRenaeP »

Thanks to everyone who came out to the last meeting! I just realized that we neglected to select a topic for the next meeting. Feel free to post any suggestions here or e-mail me at atlantabogleheads at {Google's e-mail service}.

-Steph
SRenaeP

Post by SRenaeP »

The next gathering will be held Saturday, April 8. Location and time are TBD. We are going with a slightly different approach and this will be a social rather than a typical meeting. Of course, we will talk finances but that's not the primary objective. I'm thinking a potluck brunch unless the majority prefer meeting at a restaurant.

-Steph
fcrit

Post by fcrit »

Just found the board and I obviously missed the meet up in April. Any plans for the next gathering?

Thanks.
SRenaeP

Post by SRenaeP »

Is there anyone who is willing to take over as the coordinator for the Atlanta group? I recently started a new job which requires more business travel so life has gotten busy for me.

-Steph
Cuzz35

Post by Cuzz35 »

Steph,

Congratulations on your new job.

I would suggest sending an email to the group. I don't know how often everyone checks to see if people are replying to this thread.
chloroplast

Post by chloroplast »

After a long break, the Atlanta Bogleheads have started meeting again.

If you are interested in being on the mailing list, please email:
atlantabogleheads at gmail dot/period com
Our last meeting was on 2018-01-27, from 10:00 to 13:00, at 4 Rivers Smokehouse, 822 Marietta St NW, Atlanta, GA 30318.

We discussed the backdoor Roth IRA, and tips about improving residential energy efficiency (water, electricity, lighting, heating, cooling).

Probably we will meet every one or two months.

Winston
(coordinator of Atlanta Bogleheads)
gasdoc

Post by gasdoc »

Hi, Winston, I am interested in meeting though I do not live in Atlanta, and will send you an email. Thanks for being the new coordinator!!!

gasdoc
chloroplast

Post by chloroplast »

The next meeting:

2018-05-12
10:00-12:00 (or 13:00)
4 Rivers Smokehouse, second floor
822 Marietta St NW
Atlanta GA 30318

I will talk about some of the new tax laws, and people can bring up other topics to talk about. Around 11, we can order lunch downstairs, and resume the meeting upstairs.

About parking:

--- See your GPS map. 4 Rivers is between Marietta St NW and Means St NW. Park in the big parking lot (partially covered by trees) between 4 Rivers and Means St NW. You can access the parking lot from Marietta St NW (near 4 Rivers and Thumbs Up Diner), or from Means St NW, near where it intersects Marietta St NW.

--- Warning: If you come from Marietta St NW, there is a small parking lot near Thumbs Up Diner, but do not park there. Drive across the small parking lot, and park in the big parking lot. The small parking lot might have a valet.

Winston
Traveler

Post by Traveler »

I have never attended a meeting but I will try to make it to this one
chloroplast

Post by chloroplast »

Next meeting:

2018-06-23
10:00-12:00 (or 13:00)
4 Rivers Smokehouse, second floor
822 Marietta St NW
Atlanta GA 30318

Agenda:
  • Stephanie (former coordinator of Atlanta Bogleheads) will discuss the challenges of owning a rental property, from her own experience.
  • Any other topics that people want to talk about.
  • Around 11, we can order lunch downstairs, and resume the meeting upstairs.
  • Does anyone want to take over as coordinator?
About parking:
  • See your GPS map. 4 Rivers is between Marietta St NW and Means St NW. Park in the big parking lot (partially covered by trees) between 4 Rivers and Means St NW. You can access the parking lot from Marietta St NW (near 4 Rivers and Thumbs Up Diner), or from Means St NW, near where it intersects Marietta St NW.
  • Warning: If you come from Marietta St NW, there is a small parking lot near Thumbs Up Diner, but do not park there. Drive across the small parking lot, and park in the big parking lot. The small parking lot might have a valet.
Winston
TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er »

I'm interested in joining the ATL BH's as well. I can't make June 23, but perhaps the next one will work out for me.
chloroplast

Post by chloroplast »

Would anyone like to be the new coordinator for Atlanta Bogleheads?

(This August, I will probably start attending school full-time.)

Coordinating involves:

1. Scheduling speakers for meetings.
2. Scheduling venues (such as restaurants) for meetings.
3. Announcing meetings on a mailing list and this thread.

If you are interested, please email atlantabogleheads at gmail dot com.

Thank you.

Winston
paularbet

Post by paularbet »

Hello. I just registered on the Bogleheads.org site today. Can someone please let me know if there is an active chapter in Atlanta. I live in the Virginia Highlands neighborhood near Piedmont Park in central Atlanta and would like to join the next chapter meeting. Thank you!
chloroplast

Post by chloroplast »

Paul,

Thank you for your interest. Unfortunately, Atlanta Bogleheads has been inactive since around last July.

But if you would like to be the new coordinator, or know someone who does, I can give you access to the mailing list.

Winston
tc101

Post by tc101 »

Is there still an Atlanta chapter?

If so, take a look at this thread

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=292681
. | The most important thing you should know about me is that I am not an expert.
Elena

Post by Elena »

It would be nice to meet other Atlanta bogleheads, for sure. I do not feel equipped to give any advice regarding the senior center, nor do I know what kind of accreditation one would need to do so. I am just a self-taught individual who applies what I can grasp to my own situation, but it would definitely be very cool to meet others in person sometime.
JohnStoj

Post by JohnStoj »

Paul,

I can't believe it's taken me so long to get on this forum. I'd love to help coordinate an Atlanta chapter.

- John
chloroplast

Post by chloroplast »

JohnStoj,

Thank you for your interest in coordinating the Atlanta Bogleheads. I was a past coordinator. I just private-messaged you about details.

Winston
Andymoler58

Post by Andymoler58 »

Hey,

I’d like to join the club too. Maybe we can set up a monthly meeting in the new year?

Please keep me in the loop as well.

Thanks,
chloroplast

Post by chloroplast »

Andymoler58,

The Atlanta Bogleheads have not met for some time. I was the old coordinator, and I was looking for a new coordinator.

Winston
southerndoc

Post by southerndoc »

Also interested if anyone spearheads this.
tc101

Post by tc101 »

I live between Tucker and Stone Mountain. Anyone in this area, or Decatur, want to meet for lunch?
. | The most important thing you should know about me is that I am not an expert.
chloroplast

Post by chloroplast »

tc101,

I live south of Atlanta in Stockbridge, but I could drive to Tucker, Stone Mountain, or Decatur to meet you for lunch sometime, on most days of the week.

Winston
rich1day

Post by rich1day »

is the atlanta bogleheads/diehards group still active? I am interested in meeting folks.
chloroplast

Post by chloroplast »

stocks4t,

Atlanta Bogleheads has not been active for almost two years.

Winston
southerndoc

Post by southerndoc »

We should bring it back to life.
chloroplast

Post by chloroplast »

southerndoc,

What do you think about having an online meeting sometime in May? Possibly on Zoom?

Anyone else interested?

Finding a common free day and time may be difficult.

Winston
southerndoc

Post by southerndoc »

Would love to meet up with other Atlanta Bogleheads, so May (or June) sounds good.
treypar

Post by treypar »

I am interested in a zoom meeting.
earlyout

Post by earlyout »

An Atlanta Zoom meeting sounds interesting. I would like to join.
chloroplast

Post by chloroplast »

I set up a meeting on Zoom:
  • Subject to change: Saturday, May 16, 2020 10:00 AM Eastern Time
  • Meeting ID 755 0614 0174
  • Meeting Password (please private-message/direct-message me for the password)
  • Zoom's free plan limits the meeting to 40 minutes, possibly with one time extension.
If the above day and time do not fit your schedule, please private-message/direct-message me some days and times that would work for you.

The meeting will be informal, possibly about things like:
  • Hobbies.
  • How long we have been investing.
  • Recent investing questions or decisions.
chloroplast

Post by chloroplast »

Our next meeting will be on Zoom:
  • Saturday, June 13, 2020 11:00 AM to 12:00 PM Eastern Time (note the time change: start at 11:00, not 10:00)
  • Meeting ID: 761 9301 0434
  • Meeting Password: Please private-message/direct-message me for the password.
At the previous meeting, we discussed various topics, including:
  • Convert traditional (non-Roth) workplace plans (like a 401(k) plan) to a Roth IRA when your income is low, to minimize taxes---such as after you retire, but before you receive Social Security.
  • A Roth IRA has no RMDs (required minimum distributions).
  • If you leave the Roth IRA to a beneficiary, the recent CARES (Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security) Act, signed into law on 2020-03-27, has a new rule about ten-year distributions:
    SECURE Act Spotlight: Roth 401(k) And Roth IRA Accounts
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidkudla ... e5949f4522:

A provision of the SECURE Act eliminates the ability of the beneficiary to take distributions over the life expectancy and replaces it with a 10-year rule. The 10-year rule provides that distributions must be made to designated beneficiaries within 10 years from the date of the IRA owner’s death. Certain ‘eligible beneficiaries’ (surviving spouse, disabled or chronically ill beneficiary, an individual who is not more than 10 years younger than the IRA owner, a child of the owner who has not reached age of majority) are not subject to the 10-year rule.
  • Get second quotes for contractors for house renovations.
  • Georgia has laws which are tax-friendly to retirees:
    • Georgia does not tax Social Security.
    • If you are retired, and 62 or older, your first $4,000 of earned income is not taxed---this first $4,000 is considered part of retirement income.
    • If you are retired, and between 62 and 64, your first $35,000 of retirement income is not taxed.
    • If you are retired, and 65 or older, your first $65,000 of retirement income is not taxed.
    • Earned income and retirement income are defined below:
      Georgia Retirees FAQ
      https://dor.georgia.gov/retirees-faq

Retirement income includes items such as: interest, dividends, net rentals, capital gains, royalties, pensions, annuities, and the first $4000.00 of earned income. Earned income is income from a trade or business, wages, salaries, tips, or other compensation.
    • For information about retirement in Georgia, see: Is Georgia tax-friendly state for retirees?: https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2 ... -retirees/
rich1day

Post by rich1day »

Georgia has laws which are tax-friendly to retirees
was not aware of this. :thumbsup

Unfortunately, I just noticed there was an online meeting yesterday. I look forward the next one in June.

thanks!
Watty

Post by Watty »

chloroplast wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 10:52 am Georgia has laws which are tax-friendly to retirees:
One other thing about Georgia is that the property taxes can vary dramatically depending on what county you are in.

In addition to the actual rates being different I am in Cobb county which does not charge seniors(>62) school property taxes, and there is not an income limit or property value limit on this. This means that I only paid about $750 in property taxes on a pretty average house last year. It is interesting that even with this Cobb still has mostly good schools.

I think that Cherokee county has a similar exemption but I am not sure of that.

https://www.cobbtax.org/property/exemptions

Some other counties have a senior property tax exemption but only for people with low income.

There is also a different property tax homestead exemption for owner occupied homes that most people know about but you have to file a one time form for that. When we bought our house it turned out that the prior owner had not claimed that for at least 10 years so that had cost them a lot of money over the years.

It is a good idea to double check your counties web site so see if there are any property tax exemptions that you would qualify for.
chloroplast

Post by chloroplast »

Watty, thank you for mentioning property-tax exemptions in Georgia, including homestead exemptions.

Below is some information about property-tax homestead exemptions in Georgia. Possibly this information would be helpful to other Georgia residents.
[Georgia] Property Tax Homestead Exemptions
https://dor.georgia.gov/property-tax-ho ... exemptions
  • Standard Homestead Exemption The home of each resident of Georgia that is actually occupied and used as the primary residence by the owner may be granted a $2,000 exemption from county and school taxes except for school taxes...
  • Individuals 65 Years of Age and Older May Claim a $4,000 Exemption Individuals 65 years of age or over may claim a $4,000 exemption from all county ad valorem taxes if the income of that person and his spouse does not exceed $10,000 for the prior year.
  • Disabled Veteran or Surviving Spouse Any qualifying disabled veteran may be granted an exemption of $60,000 plus an additional sum from paying property taxes for county, municipal, and school purposes.
chloroplast

Post by chloroplast »

Later this week, we will have a meeting on Zoom:
  • Saturday, June 13, 2020 11:00 AM to 12:00 PM Eastern Time (note the time change: start at 11:00, not 10:00)
  • Meeting ID: 761 9301 0434
  • Meeting password: Please private-message/direct-message me for the password.
  • Speaker and topic: User "SRenaeP" will speak about rental properties. Later, we can discuss random topics.
solene

Post by solene »

I am usually a lurker and wanted to participate, but because I just registered, I am unable to send a PM to get the password for tomorrow's meeting. Is is possible you can view my email and forward me the info?

Thank you
chloroplast

Post by chloroplast »

Solene,

I private-messaged you the password for tomorrow's meeting.
stup123

Post by stup123 »

chloroplast wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:24 pm Solene,

I private-messaged you the password for tomorrow's meeting.
am in the sameboat - long time lurker and created account just now; Would appreciate if you can send me a PM with the passcode
chloroplast

Post by chloroplast »

stup123,

I messaged you the password for tomorrow's meeting.
gailcox

Post by gailcox »

stup123,

Please send me an invite for todays meeting.

Thank you,

Gail Cox
chloroplast

Post by chloroplast »

Gail,

I messaged you the password.

Winston
gailcox

Post by gailcox »

got it! Thank you.

Gail
chloroplast

Post by chloroplast »

If anyone has idea for topics for the next Atlanta meeting, please post them here.

(Some possible dates for the next Atlanta meeting are July 11, 4, or 18, which are all Saturdays. Some possible times are 10 am or 11 am.)

Summary of today's Atlanta meeting:
  • The annual national meeting will be online this year. It will probably still be in October. The registration fee might be zero.
  • A possible speaker for the annual national meeting is William (Bill) Bernstein, who wrote "If You Can: How Millenials Can Get Rich Slowly" (https://www.etf.com/docs/IfYouCan.pdf), 16 pages.
  • User "SRenaeP" spoke about rental properties.
    • You are fortunate if you have tenants who stay long and who have few problems.
    • The website Cozy (https://cozy.co/pricing/) allows landlords to do background checks, credit checks, security deposits, and monthly rent.
    • To register a limited-liability company (LLC) or other business, visit the website of the Georgia Secretary of State: https://sos.ga.gov/
  • If you would like advice about investing, consider Vanguard Personal Advisor Services or "fee-only" planners.
GMan82

Post by GMan82 »

Oh nuts I missed this and I live in Atlanta. Any idea when the next one will be?