Suggestions for the Wiki

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
dodecahedron

Re: Suggestions for the Wiki

Post by dodecahedron »

Suggestions for additions to wiki age checklist are here.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Miriam2 wrote:Regarding our fabulous wiki :happy
Sometimes it is frustrating using the wiki search box and I wish for an index or table of contents.
Apparently there is an index, I just never knew where it was = it's called the "complete article list"

It is found by, on the wiki home page, scrolling down to "Can't find what you're looking for?" and there will be a link to the "complete article list" which brings up an alphabetical list of wiki articles, which link to the specific article. The complete article list index page, however, is not called complete article list or index or table of contents, it's called "All pages."

I may not be the only person who missed this index. Perhaps this link could be re-named "Index of Articles" and also a link called "index" could be included on the more visible left hand side of the wiki home page, along with the "site navigation" and "recent changes" column. It may make it easier for viewers to find articles in the wiki.
Are you looking for something other than the topical index at the top of the page? Look to the right of:

"Bogleheads® wiki
- Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle"

... contains a series of links which drill-down every major subject in the wiki.

(Mobile devices will see this as a series of links just underneath the tag line "- Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle".)

For background info, we copy everything we can from Wikipedia. Compare the wiki home page to Wikipedia. The topical list is at the top of the page.

"All pages" was added to help readers if they get stuck. It's part of the wiki software, so it's not amenable to retitling. We need to keep it as-is.

Did this answer your question?
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

dodecahedron wrote:Suggestions for additions to wiki age checklist are here.
Thanks! I have replied in Re: Suggestion for the Wiki Checklist of Important Dates.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

LadyGeek wrote:
dodecahedron wrote:Suggestions for additions to wiki age checklist are here.
Thanks! I have replied in Re: Suggestion for the Wiki Checklist of Important Dates.
Thanks! I spotted an additional correction noted on that thread here.
morenoh149

Re: Join the Wiki!

Post by morenoh149 »

I would like to fix an erroneous image caption at https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Three-f ... uard_funds
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Welcome! Can you point out the exact error? I reviewed Vanguard funds and don't see anything wrong. I may have missed something, though.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

In my never-ending effort to learn about Roth conversions :annoyed , I found several corrections that could be made in the wiki article "Roth IRA Conversion" (there are 2 Roth IRA Conversion articles in the index that appear to be the same article) wiki/Roth_IRA_conversion

1 - At the bottom External Links, the wiki links to an article by Vanguard, Maria Bruno and Alisa Shin, "Estate Planning Opportunities with Roth IRA Conversions," March 2010. The link no longer works. The correct link is www.vanguard.com/pdf/s623.pdf I read the article and it still seems relevant, but I'm no Roth conversion estate planning expert :D

2 - External links IRS Publications 590-A and 590-B says 2014 versions, but the link is actually to the 2015 versions.

3 - In the References section, footnote 2 and 3 are for IRS Publication 590, the 2009 version, but the link goes to "pages not found."
Also, Q - do we still need them because they apply to 2010 Roth conversions, which are over and done with :happy

4 - The References section footnote 5 link only leads to a Vanguard News page, not to the article on "Roth IRA conversions: 4 Things You May Not Know." Searching for the article on google brings up an "In The Vanguard® PDF" www.vanguard.com/pdf/itvsummer2010.pdf?2210047840, but since this article explains 2010 conversions, Q - is it still valuable for the wiki?

Also, is this the correct thread to bring these types of corrections to the awesome wiki leaders, or should I start a new topic? 8-)
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

morenoh149 - I moved your post into here, which is for wiki suggestions. If you can describe the error and wish to fix it yourself, instructions for becoming a wiki editor are at the bottom of the wiki home page ("Contributing to the wiki"). Or, you can PM me with your request.

Also note that suggestions to correct the wiki can be entered in the "Help improve this page" form, which is at the bottom of every wiki page. No login is required.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Miriam2 wrote:In my never-ending effort to learn about Roth conversions :annoyed , I found several corrections that could be made in the wiki article "Roth IRA Conversion" (there are 2 Roth IRA Conversion articles in the index that appear to be the same article) wiki/Roth_IRA_conversion

1 - At the bottom External Links, the wiki links to an article by Vanguard, Maria Bruno and Alisa Shin, "Estate Planning Opportunities with Roth IRA Conversions," March 2010. The link no longer works. The correct link is www.vanguard.com/pdf/s623.pdf I read the article and it still seems relevant, but I'm no Roth conversion estate planning expert :D

2 - External links IRS Publications 590-A and 590-B says 2014 versions, but the link is actually to the 2015 versions.

3 - In the References section, footnote 2 and 3 are for IRS Publication 590, the 2009 version, but the link goes to "pages not found."
Also, Q - do we still need them because they apply to 2010 Roth conversions, which are over and done with :happy

4 - The References section footnote 5 link only leads to a Vanguard News page, not to the article on "Roth IRA conversions: 4 Things You May Not Know." Searching for the article on google brings up an "In The Vanguard® PDF" www.vanguard.com/pdf/itvsummer2010.pdf?2210047840, but since this article explains 2010 conversions, Q - is it still valuable for the wiki?

Also, is this the correct thread to bring these types of corrections to the awesome wiki leaders, or should I start a new topic? 8-)
Thanks, Roth IRA conversion has been revised.

1. The link has been updated.

2. I fixed the title to remove the year. The IRS uses the same link every year, which makes things easy to manage.

3. Since the links are long gone and you've made the suggestion, I removed the 2010 Roth conversion section. Here's the previous version which contains the 2010 section: Revision as of 13:52, 10 December 2015

4. I replaced the link. Is it valuable for the wiki? Yes, but only if it accurately reflects current tax law.

Also... I moved your post into the right thread. If you want to be sure of the wiki article's content, I recommend starting a new thread in the Personal Finance (Not Investing) forum asking for an "expert" review. (Can the experts please review...)
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Perhaps the acronym OMY (for One More Year - one more year of working before retirement) could be added to the wiki list of abbreviations and acronyms, as suggest by #Cruncher :happy

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=205000&newpost=3146064
https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Abbrevi ... ronyms#L-Q
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Is there an "Invest Now or Wait?" article? This is an FAQ, so should have a developed answer to link to.

It is not quite the "LS vs DCA" question.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Miriam2 wrote:Perhaps the acronym OMY (for One More Year - one more year of working before retirement) could be added to the wiki list of abbreviations and acronyms, as suggest by #Cruncher :happy

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=205000&newpost=3146064
https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Abbrevi ... ronyms#L-Q
Thanks, the wiki has been updated. I replied to #Cruncher in Re: The value of OMY for early retirees (bridge years).
morenoh149

Post by morenoh149 »

When you hover over the pie charts at https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Three-f ... uard_funds the ratios displayed are inconsistent with what the charts show. E.g., 56/24/20 should instead be 64/20/16 .
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Thanks! The hover text is fixed: Three-fund portfolio

(More than one wiki editor worked on this, it wasn't just me.)
pondering

Post by pondering »

For the slides showing loan repayment it would be nice to also link to a google doc model that shows the loan amount an repayments dynamically.

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Boglehe ... cy_project

General Credit Scores
Available as: Slides

I'd add a link to a model
--Robert Sterbal | robert@sterbal.com | 412-977-3526
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Sorry, I thought you wanted to provide a general wiki comment. I answered your suggestion here: Re: Help create a Financial Presentation: Calling all Bogleheads
hushpuppy

Post by hushpuppy »

delete
Last edited by hushpuppy on Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Two dogs are better than one. One dog needs to have at least one companion that can consistently measure up to standards. Humans need not apply.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Thanks! We should get a forum consensus on how to proceed. I started a new topic to discuss: [Wiki] - Pro-rata rule impact on Roth IRA recharacterization
deskjockey

Post by deskjockey »

The expense ratios for the Thrift Savings Plan funds found here need updating. The 2016 ratios were 0.038 for all except the I fund, which has an expense ratio of 0.039. Here is a link to the source.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Thanks! I updated the page: Thrift Savings Plan

Those fees have increased since the last wiki update. I compared the revised fees against the listed Vanguard fund. While Vanguard's fees did come down, they're still about 2x higher than the TSP.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Found typo - missing "s" - in first paragraph of https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Expense_ratios

"The fund's expense ratio is taken out of the fund's assets and lowers its return to investors."
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Thanks, see: Expense ratios

The wiki is a collaborative effort. Another editor (not me) has fixed the typo.

The wiki uses the same software as Wikipedia. To see editing activity, click on the View history tab in the top-right corner of the page.
celia

Post by celia »

I've been noticing more posts lately by non-US investors wondering how to get started (or they aren't sure if they are doing things properly). Do we have a wiki page to help get them started? We may want to separate suggestions into European Union, Australian, and other places where they have a Vanguard "division" available (or not).

At least we should pull together generic principles they can follow, although US taxes, retirement plans, SS won't apply to them.

Recent thread from other countries:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=223720
BeBH65

Post by BeBH65 »

celia wrote:I've been noticing more posts lately by non-US investors wondering how to get started (or they aren't sure if they are doing things properly). Do we have a wiki page to help get them started? We may want to separate suggestions into European Union, Australian, and other places where they have a Vanguard "division" available (or not).

At least we should pull together generic principles they can follow, although US taxes, retirement plans, SS won't apply to them.

Recent thread from other countries:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=223720
Hi Celia,

We do have a number of county specific pages in the wikias well as 3 pages focussed on taxation outside of the US.
Some of the members on the forum are regular contributors on NON-US threads; if we recognize them --> I always ask them to add their country in the title.

Bogleheads Investment principles can apply for many non-US investors.
In some countries Vanguard is not the best supplier to implement these principles.

Regards
BeBH65. (only an investment enthusiast, not a financial adviser, perform your due diligence). | Have a look at https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Outline_of_Non-US_domiciles
celia

Post by celia »

Thank you, BeBH65. This is better than what I has hoping for and can at least get international users started.

I have bookmarked the referenced page for future referrals.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

celia - that's an excellent suggestion. You should not have to bookmark an important topic, especially for our readers outside the US.

Being bold, I have added an "Investors outside the US" section to Getting started.

I incorporated BeBH65's suggestions, along with some guidance for US ex-pats.

If anything needs an update, please post here. Wiki editors can update the page directly.
deskjockey

Post by deskjockey »

While doing some research on 529 plan, I stumbled across a change in the rules regulating how losses are computed for 529 plans that makes the information here in the Wiki about calculating the loss or gain from a distribution in a 529 plan outdated. It seems that the PATH act in 2015 repealed the aggregation requirement when calculating a loss. See this link for a technical discussion of how the IRS implemented it and this one for the instructions (scroll to the "Losses on QTP Investments" section).

On a separate note, I found this handy calculator at Vanguard that allows you to do a quick and dirty comparison at to whether to keep money in a UTMA or move it over to a custodial 529 account. It takes into account the kiddie tax, tax-free 529 disbursements, and the expense ratio of the UTMA and 529 investments (you provide that info). While not perfect, it's a good starting point for deciding between those two vehicles when dealing with a custodial account and may merit inclusion in the Wiki.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Thanks! The page has been revised: 529 plan

Note that two wiki editors have worked on the page. The top-right corner of the wiki page shows the editing activity. View history
deskjockey wrote:On a separate note, I found this handy calculator at Vanguard that allows you to do a quick and dirty comparison at to whether to keep money in a UTMA or move it over to a custodial 529 account. It takes into account the kiddie tax, tax-free 529 disbursements, and the expense ratio of the UTMA and 529 investments (you provide that info). While not perfect, it's a good starting point for deciding between those two vehicles when dealing with a custodial account and may merit inclusion in the Wiki.
Interesting, the Vanguard UGMA/UTMA conversion calculator is not Vanguard's website. It's "powered by" Wealth Management Systems, Inc. The website redirects to DST Systems, a financial outsourcing company.

Put a few numbers into the calculator and hit "Calculate results". A comprehensive report and assumptions show up.

How accurate is this calculator? IOW, what is meant by "good enough as a quick and dirty comparison? If the calculator is useful, it can be put into the wiki. However, the limitations should be clearly documented.

We have the following wiki pages:
- 529 plan
- Kiddie tax
- Uniform Gift to Minors Act

Can someone suggest some wording for these pages?
deskjockey

Post by deskjockey »

LadyGeek wrote:
deskjockey wrote:On a separate note, I found this handy calculator at Vanguard that allows you to do a quick and dirty comparison at to whether to keep money in a UTMA or move it over to a custodial 529 account. It takes into account the kiddie tax, tax-free 529 disbursements, and the expense ratio of the UTMA and 529 investments (you provide that info). While not perfect, it's a good starting point for deciding between those two vehicles when dealing with a custodial account and may merit inclusion in the Wiki.
Interesting, the Vanguard UGMA/UTMA conversion calculator is not Vanguard's website. It's "powered by" Wealth Management Systems, Inc. The website redirects to DST Systems, a financial outsourcing company.

Put a few numbers into the calculator and hit "Calculate results". A comprehensive report and assumptions show up.

How accurate is this calculator? IOW, what is meant by "good enough as a quick and dirty comparison? If the calculator is useful, it can be put into the wiki. However, the limitations should be clearly documented.
I see two limitations--it assumes that all securities in a UTMA will be held until disbursement and does not factor in the ability to do tax gain harvesting along the way. The other limitation I see is that the calculator doesn't take into account state taxes which, depending on the state, could be a substantial drag on UTMA accounts.
TD2626

Post by TD2626 »

Should a wiki article briefly defining and describing bitcoin/cryptocurrency be created? Given the volume of discussion currently in the forum about it, it is surprising that there is no mention of it in the wiki. (I looked around but found nothing; my apologies if I missed something obvious).
Such an article could describe briefly and factually what cryptocurrency is, and what the technology behind it is (blockchain). The article would need to emphasize why it is a speculative and risky gamble not consistent with general Boglehead long-term investment principles.

Note: I feel that bitcoin/cryptocurrency is an excessively risky, speculative gamble that long-term investors should avoid. In my opinion, it is unsuitable for use as an investment or for inclusion in a long term portfolio – and it is inconsistent with Boglehead principles. (Also, I know little about this area and have little interest in it. Those with more knowledge could possibly write a more balanced article).
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I fully agree and have started a discussion here: Wiki article - Bitcoin
mrc

Post by mrc »

I checked the wiki and found a short explanation of credit reports and a page for credit scores. Would a section/page on freezing credit (with an enumeration of all the reporting agencies) be helpful? I just found out about SageStream from another post.
By the time you know enough to choose a good financial adviser, you don't need one. | bogleheads.org is my advisor: The ER is 0.0% and the advice always solid.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Sure! I have created a draft wiki page and started a forum discussion here: Wiki article - Credit freeze
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

I happened to look at the article on Merrill Edge:
Merrill Edge provides 30 cost-free ETF or equity trades a month to customers who have $25k or more in Bank of America deposit accounts, or $25k or more cash balance at Merrill Edge.
https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Merrill_Edge

Recently ME dropped the free trades for 25k in cash deposits. The only way to get free trades is with the Preferred Rewards program, either 50k in total assets (includes ME holdings and BOA bank accounts) for 30/month, or 100k for 100/month.

https://info.bankofamerica.com/preferred-rewards/
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Thanks! The wiki has been revised: Merrill Edge

I found a better reference: Merrill Edge Pricing, Commissions & Fees for Online Trading, then click on "Learn how to qualify" for the fine print. The $25k minimum was a promotion that ended 9/30/2017.
jon7417

Post by jon7417 »

Please consider adding this company to the HSA Wiki. https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Health_savings_account

(I have been researching for an alternative HSA bank with the recent TD ameritrade Vanguard Free-ETF changes and this is an excellent low cost HSA with quality investment options.)

Add the following HSA option:
*last updated Oct 21, 2017

Select Account
https://www.selectaccount.com/

Basic Bank Account and Fee/Interest Structure:
See this link for paid interest rates. https://www.selectaccount.com/products/ ... mbursement
Free Saver $0/month
Thrift Saver $1/month Minimum required for investment account.
Basic Saver $2.50/month (interest rates in bank portion current 0.25% and up, varies based on balance)
Select Saver $3/month Adds FDIC security
Premium Saver $4/month (interest rates in bank portion current 1.05% and up, varies based on balance).

Investment options:
-Must keep at least $1,000 in bank account to use this.
-$18/year in fees for investing
From the company's website "Our pre-selected mutual funds have been chosen by Devenir Investment Advisors, LLC, a registered investment advisor. Charles Schwab & Co. Inc. is a registered securities broker dealer, member SIPC/NYSE, and an affiliate of The Charles Schwab Trust Company."

See this link for basic investing funds: https://hsainvestments.com/fundperformance/?p=HSA
**Several options including low cost Vanguard Funds and Vanguard Target Retirement funds.**

Once your HSA Basic Investment Account exceeds $10,000, you CAN open a self-directed HSA Brokerage Investment Account with Charles Schwab & Co. Inc., giving you access to more than 2,500 mutual funds as well as stocks, bonds and other investments. You must keep at least $1,000 in the base balance of your HSA account.

There are some transaction fees for this type of account but I couldn't find details on this only a disclaimer from the company. I personally plan on just using the basic investment account as it will meet my needs just fine.

"Brokerage Investment Account Service Fee – Schwab’s standard brokerage commission schedule applies to transactions in the self-directed Brokerage Investment Account. Applicable commissions and execution fees will be deducted from the participant’s Brokerage Investment Account balance."
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Thanks! I added SelectAccount to the wiki: Health savings account (SelectAccount).
jon7417 wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:24 am Once your HSA Basic Investment Account exceeds $10,000, you CAN open a self-directed HSA Brokerage Investment Account with Charles Schwab & Co. Inc., giving you access to more than 2,500 mutual funds as well as stocks, bonds and other investments. You must keep at least $1,000 in the base balance of your HSA account.

There are some transaction fees for this type of account but I couldn't find details on this only a disclaimer from the company. I personally plan on just using the basic investment account as it will meet my needs just fine.
The "disclaimer" is the Schwab Commissions & Trades schedule. Details are in the HSA Reference Guide, pages 46 - 48. I included a link in the wiki article.

Section 2.1 of that guide is very helpful to explain that you should always read the fund's Prospectus. It also discloses the use of 12b-1 fees.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

FYI - Noobvestor has a question on Specific identification of shares. I don't know the answer. Does the wiki need an update?

Subject: Spec ID at VG - BH wiki out of date? [Need help with cost basis]
Noobvestor wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:28 pm I noticed this line in the Wiki regarding specific identification of shares at Vanguard:

"If you sell shares online, send a secure Email on the same day with this information."

"This information" refers to a bunch of personal info -- more here:

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Specifi ... _of_shares

I assume this is out-of-date information, dating to a time when there wasn't a pop-up that let you pick lots to sell? Or am I misunderstanding?

While I'm at it, figured I'd ask: does anyone ever sell micro-lots just to clean up their cost basis interface? I have some from accidentally reinvested payouts from a tax-exempt bond fund and it's itching at my OCD (plus I need to sell some of that fund anyway for other reasons).
(Answers to his micro-lots question should be posted in his thread.)
grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner »

LadyGeek wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:08 pm FYI - Noobvestor has a question on Specific identification of shares. I don't know the answer. Does the wiki need an update?

Subject: Spec ID at VG - BH wiki out of date? [Need help with cost basis]
Noobvestor wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:28 pm I noticed this line in the Wiki regarding specific identification of shares at Vanguard:

"If you sell shares online, send a secure Email on the same day with this information."

"This information" refers to a bunch of personal info -- more here:

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Specifi ... _of_shares

I assume this is out-of-date information, dating to a time when there wasn't a pop-up that let you pick lots to sell? Or am I misunderstanding?

While I'm at it, figured I'd ask: does anyone ever sell micro-lots just to clean up their cost basis interface? I have some from accidentally reinvested payouts from a tax-exempt bond fund and it's itching at my OCD (plus I need to sell some of that fund anyway for other reasons).
(Answers to his micro-lots question should be posted in his thread.)
This still applies if you are selling non-covered mutual fund shares, because there is no way to identify them as specific lots online. I will clarify the Wiki page
Wiki David Grabiner
BigJohn

Post by BigJohn »

I was reading this discussion which quotes the wiki on NUA treatement viewtopic.php?f=1&t=232202. The wiki says you have to use pretax money for NUA but I don't believe this is correct. I worked for a giant mega-corp and extracted my NUA shares using after tax dollars about 2.5 years ago. This is obviously more advantageous and is a very common approach used by many retirees at my former company.

I did a quick search for some references and found the following, all of which talk about the use of after tax dollars.
https://www.irahelp.com/forum-post/1957 ... tributions
http://www.morganstanleyfa.com/public/p ... d5eda6.pdf see first bullet point under "Key Issues in Electing...."
http://krosnowskiandscott.com/pdfs/NUA2.pdf it's specific to XOM but is consistent with my experience

I'm not sure who the wiki expert is on NUA but I'm glad to discuss with him/her in more detail as appropriate.

Regards,
John
"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan" - Carl Von Clausewitz
torius71

Post by torius71 »

Hello all,

The Kitces tax reform article and omnibus thread have inaccurate information relating to changes to the 401k loan rules.

Kitces and the omnibus thread quotes:

Under TCJA, though, a “qualified plan loan offset” amount for a terminated 401(k) loan is eligible for rollover within 60 days, essentially providing an (ex-)employee more time to repay the loan (directly into a rollover IRA) to avoid the tax consequences of non-repayment.

Per the law, the time-frame extension is from 60 days to the due date (including extensions) for filing the Federal income tax return for the taxable year in which the plan loan offset occurs.

I'm not currently a Wiki editor, but happy to input the information if helpful.
"A new truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it."-MP
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Sorry for the delay. I have looked at H. R. 1 (Enrolled-Bill), "SEC. 13613. EXTENDED ROLLOVER PERIOD FOR PLAN LOAN OFFSET AMOUNTS." and see the modifications, but I'm not sure how to update the wiki.

Could you please supply the information (what to write)? The impacted pages are listed in Outline of tax law changes (Retirement plans).

Post here if you'd like. Or, PM me If you'd like to become an editor to do this yourself. You help is appreciated.

* Contains links to US Code. Allow time for your browser to load.
CollegePrudens

Post by CollegePrudens »

Hi Torius - if you do end up writing a blurb on the topic, I will be happy to review as well.
We need to learn to want what we have, not to have what we want, in order to get stable and steady happiness - The 14th Dalai Lama
Topic Author
Barry Barnitz
Wiki Admin

Post by Barry Barnitz »

Hi:

The current text for this section:
The deadline for completing a loan rollover to a qualified employer plan or IRA is now extended to the due date (including extensions) for the individual’s tax return for the year in which the loan balance was treated as a distribution. This “deemed distribution” treatment occurs when payment of an outstanding loan balance is accelerated at the time the plan is terminated or at the time the participant terminates employment.
regards,
Additional administrative tasks: Financial Page bogleheads.org. blog; finiki the Canadian wiki; The Bogle Center for Financial Literacy site; La Guía Bogleheads® España site.
torius71

Post by torius71 »

Barry Barnitz wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:10 am Hi:

The current text for this section:
The deadline for completing a loan rollover to a qualified employer plan or IRA is now extended to the due date (including extensions) for the individual’s tax return for the year in which the loan balance was treated as a distribution. This “deemed distribution” treatment occurs when payment of an outstanding loan balance is accelerated at the time the plan is terminated or at the time the participant terminates employment.
regards,
Hi Barry,

Apologies for the delay but this description looks very clear to me. I appreciate the update.

Best, Torius
"A new truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it."-MP
r2k

Post by r2k »

There are likely postings along this line that I have not yet noticed here in BogleHeadsland, but I am wondering why (besides the obvious industry lobbying efforts) there isn't a movement to have the IRS provide inhouse a complete online tax filing website that doesn't require one to use one of the free or for-fee commercial tax filing websites?

Wouldn't it seem that this would be the the best place for just such a comprehensive, all-in-one, online tax filing program that, depending on the variable permutations of one's tax filing status, income and various related minutia would provide the public with the most accurate, up-to-date, secure, and cost-minimized way to file one's taxes online with the IRS directly?

At least as a potentially more accurate alternative to the commercial sites?
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Welcome! Sorry, but providing tax forms is out-of-scope for the wiki. Additionally, the wiki is not an authoritative source and should not be used as a primary provider for any service.

We follow Wikipedia guidelines. See: Wikipedia is not a reliable source

As for the tax form movement, discussions of that nature are off-topic. See: Non-actionable (Trolling) Topics (tax policy)
Snert

Post by Snert »

The Rollover Chart on section 1.2 of the IRA rollovers and transfers page is out of date.

The current version is located here (PDF). Specifically, it is now allowable to rollover a traditional IRA to a Simple IRA, though there may be other changes, as well.
Don't listen to me, I'm just a dog!
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Thanks! The chart has been updated. IRA rollovers and transfers
Snert

Post by Snert »

Thanks. The footnotes to go with the Rollover chart are also different than reflected on the wiki.
Don't listen to me, I'm just a dog!