Suggestions for the Wiki

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
hudson

Re: Suggestions for the Wiki: Components of a SPIA over Time

Post by hudson »

Consider adding a graph to the SPIA section showing the components of a SPIA over time. There's much talk about principal, interest, and mortality credits in SPIAs but there's not an illustration, graph, spreadsheet or picture to aid understanding. I never really understood the interactions of principal, interest, and mortality credits until looking at the graph contributed by Taylor Larimore in this discussion:

viewtopic.php?p=2656486#p2656486

I asked Lady Geek about adding this...she quickly responded, "My main concern is that the graph is copyrighted. Can you find another graph that doesn't have a copyright restriction?

Alternatively, we can create a graph from data, but the data needs to come from a publicly available source. Do you know where data like this can be found?

I found another copyrighted version here...the third graph down...the graph is titled... "Components of Annuity Payments Over Time"

https://www.kitces.com/blog/understandi ... nt-income/

How do we get the data from a publicly available source? Where can data like this be found?
Topic Author
Barry Barnitz
Wiki Admin

Re: Suggestions for the Wiki

Post by Barry Barnitz »

Additional administrative tasks: Financial Page bogleheads.org. blog; finiki the Canadian wiki; The Bogle Center for Financial Literacy site; La Guía Bogleheads® España site.
hudson

Post by hudson »

Wow! very nice!
FiveK

Post by FiveK »

In https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Priorit ... nvestments there is
"4. Contribute the maximum to an IRA..."
and
"7. Non-deductible IRAs or..."

Once a person has done #4, there is no option to do the part of #7 shown here, correct?

ETA: Never mind the above. One could be ineligible for traditional and Roth, and eligible for back door Roth but choose not to due to a high traditional balance, and be left with a non-deductible as a final option.

Although, non-deductible over taxable seems not at all a clear decision....
Last edited by FiveK on Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hudson

Post by hudson »

Barry Barnitz wrote:Image from thread---> (5) With interest rates so low, are annuities effectively dead? - Bogleheads

regards,
In another thread...with the same graph, Magellan thinks the graph is not 100% correct.

viewtopic.php?p=2657649#p2657649
lack_ey

Post by lack_ey »

Quick suggestion for a change to the lazy portfolios page:

This has been true I think for a number of years, but Swensen no longer recommends 20% of total assets into REITs. Every once in a while we see people talking about his recommended allocation—sometimes from reading the wiki—so it might as well be kept up to date.

Recently noted in this article:
http://www.npr.org/2015/10/17/436993646 ... portfolios

20% REIT -> 15% REIT
5% emerging markets -> 10% emerging markets
Fat-Tailed Contagion

Post by Fat-Tailed Contagion »

Update the Precious Metals Equity page with data from 2013 - present.
“The intelligent investor is a realist who sells to optimists and buys from pessimists.” | ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor (75/25 - 50/50 - 25/75)
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

lack_ey wrote:Quick suggestion for a change to the lazy portfolios page:

This has been true I think for a number of years, but Swensen no longer recommends 20% of total assets into REITs. Every once in a while we see people talking about his recommended allocation—sometimes from reading the wiki—so it might as well be kept up to date.

Recently noted in this article:
http://www.npr.org/2015/10/17/436993646 ... portfolios

20% REIT -> 15% REIT
5% emerging markets -> 10% emerging markets
Thanks, the wiki is updated: Lazy portfolios (David Swensen's lazy portfolio)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Fat-Tailed Contagion wrote:Update the Precious Metals Equity page with data from 2013 - present.
That's going to take some research, as some of the page links are broken. Precious metals equity

Here's a start:
- Search results for the NYSE Arca Gold BUGS Index
- Search results for the NYSE Arca Gold Miners Index

Does anyone want to take a stab at this? New editors are always welcome.

Update: The topic is under discussion here: Precious metals mining stocks
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Fat-Tailed Contagion wrote:Update the Precious Metals Equity page with data from 2013 - present.
The wiki has been updated. See: Precious metals equity

This is a collaborative effort, which included updating both the wiki and supporting spreadsheets. The collaboration can be seen in the page's Discussion tab, which is the top left corner above the title.
IFKC

Post by IFKC »

Just offering a spreadsheet, that specifically includes TSP investments. viewtopic.php?f=10&t=177732

Thanks,

IFKC
A happy father and tepid lawyer, trying to do the right thing
GoPackGo

Post by GoPackGo »

Since I'm not allowed to use the private message function of the forum yet (just joined), I'll post here.

The link for "How Much Can I Contribute?" in https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Thrift_ ... n#Matching leads to a 404 error page, it should be updated to https://www.tsp.gov/PlanningTools/Calcu ... tions.html.

Thanks!
Topic Author
Barry Barnitz
Wiki Admin

Post by Barry Barnitz »

GoPackGo wrote:Since I'm not allowed to use the private message function of the forum yet (just joined), I'll post here.

The link for "How Much Can I Contribute?" in https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Thrift_ ... n#Matching leads to a 404 error page, it should be updated to https://www.tsp.gov/PlanningTools/Calcu ... tions.html.

Thanks!
Hi:

Correction completed--->Thrift Savings Plan - Bogleheads

Thanks!
Additional administrative tasks: Financial Page bogleheads.org. blog; finiki the Canadian wiki; The Bogle Center for Financial Literacy site; La Guía Bogleheads® España site.
Rose

Post by Rose »

Hello,
I am fairly new in the forum ad recently studied TLH in both forum and wiki quite a bit. Please consider these threads to be added. I add the reasoning right after the thread:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=179414
The screen shots and bonus examples of allowed an disallowed loss.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=172568
List of comparable but not substantially similar mutual funds (wiki only lists ETFs)
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Thanks, the wiki is updated for your first thread: Tax loss harvesting
Rose wrote:viewtopic.php?f=10&t=172568
List of comparable but not substantially similar mutual funds (wiki only lists ETFs)
I didn't understand this suggestion regarding TLH for absolute dummies [Tax Loss Harvesting] (what you link to). It's a "How to...", not a list of comparable funds. Did I miss something?
Rose

Post by Rose »

LadyGeek wrote:Thanks, the wiki is updated for your first thread: Tax loss harvesting
Rose wrote:viewtopic.php?f=10&t=172568
I didn't understand this suggestion regarding TLH for absolute dummies [Tax Loss Harvesting] (what you link to). It's a "How to...", not a list of comparable funds. Did I miss something?
Thank you. Inside step 4 of the first post, the writer mentioned the list of the comparable funds.
You also brught up a good point. The how to steps can also be useful. One can argue it is comparable to the wiki, but it is easier to follow (layman terms). There is also another thread that provide a step-by-step in more detail (and more caution) and different angle, but I could not dig up.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I revised the description for TLH for absolute dummies [Tax Loss Harvesting].

See: Tax loss harvesting
Rose wrote:There is also another thread that provide a step-by-step in more detail (and more caution) and different angle, but I could not dig up.
I found a reference to the Mother of All Tax Loss Harvesting Threads, but that discussion is from 2008. The tax law changed regarding wash sales inside an IRA (last page of thread), so I'd rather it not be used as a reference.
Rose

Post by Rose »

Thanks
Rose

Post by Rose »

Please consider adding this as another reference of TLH partners opportunity:
viewtopic.php?p=2751217#p2751217

Please consider adding this to backdoor Roth conversion that spans two years. Duckie's step-by-step is useful:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=181359&newpost=2751271
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

With reference to your first suggestion of Re: TLH Exchange International again ? To what ?, this discussion is for a specific situation. Although the wiki is intended to help investors, there is a very gray line between providing guidance and making specific recommendations.

We don't want to misguide investors who may not understand all of the underlying details on why these funds were chosen. Therefore, I don't think it should be added to the wiki. (It's also why we don't provide specific tax advice - there are too many complexities and exceptions.)

However, your suggestion for Re: Funding a backdoor Roth for 2015 in 2016 is a good one.

The wiki has been updated: Backdoor Roth IRA "External links"

Thank you again. If you have any more suggestions, don't hesitate to post them here.
archbish99

Post by archbish99 »

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Purchase_fee lists four funds as charging a purchase fee, but Vanguard lists five. The wiki is missing Tax-Exempt Bond Index Admiral Shares (VTEAX).
I'm not a financial advisor, I just play one on the Internet.
Topic Author
Barry Barnitz
Wiki Admin

Post by Barry Barnitz »

archbish99 wrote:https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Purchase_fee lists four funds as charging a purchase fee, but Vanguard lists five. The wiki is missing Tax-Exempt Bond Index Admiral Shares (VTEAX).
Thanks!--->Purchase fee - Bogleheads
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

In https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Wash_sale, it says:
  • How to avoid wash sales

You can avoid a wash sale by avoiding either criterion: either make sure that you buy any replacement shares at least 31 days before or after the sale, or buy replacement shares that are not substantially identical.
However, in the forum I've often seen a third method recommended. What? To sell any replacement shares (purchases within +-30 day) at the same time as the TLH.

Assuming this third method is valid, could it be added to above list? It would give a warm fuzzy that we are standing on good grounds to do so.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
hudson

Post by hudson »

Mudpuppy explains how I Bonds can have no interest for a six month period. He links to a chart of composite rates for all I Bonds ever sold.

There are many of us out there getting no interest for 6 months....I think everyone who has purchased an I Bond from 2008 onward.

http://eyebonds.info/ibonds/rates.html

Treasury Direct has the same chart... https://www.treasurydirect.gov/indiv/re ... eChart.pdf

Mudpuppy also links to a useful I Bond Calculator that shows all the details that one would need on an I Bond: http://eyebonds.info/ibonds/home5000.html

Mudpuppy says that the Eyebond website was put up by a Boglehead.

Here's Mudpuppy's contribution....

viewtopic.php?p=2782776#p2782776
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

FYI - I moved FiveK's comments regarding a discrepancy between 2 spreadsheets into the supporting thread. See: Roth 401(k) vs. 401(k) Spreadsheet Attempt - Critique Please
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

FYI - LonScott has posted a correction here: Health Savings Accounts: Factual Errors in Wiki
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Suggested on another thread, I'm posting here in case another editor wants to take a crack at this: Subject: Finally - Maxed 401k - Now What
finite_difference wrote:
LadyGeek wrote:
finite_difference wrote:^In reference to the lists above, I was trying really hard to find a page like that on the wiki. I thought there was one but I could not easily find it! It should be made easier to find, or else I am just really unlucky.
Yes, it was a bit tough to find: Prioritizing investments

You can get there directly by typing "Prioritizing investments" in the wiki's search box (upper right corner). Or, "Investing priority". You'll get hits on partial matches.

Is there another keyword or phrase that would help find the page better?
I think it could be listed on the first page under one of the "Important Pages" categories, and/or listed under the "See Also" sections of the pages listed there, for example "Investing", "Personal Finance", "Asset Allocation", "Planning for Retirement", etc. or whichever you think is most relevant. I was unable to find it by browsing around but I did not trying searching. I think I would've first tried searching first for "investing checklist" (which doesn't work) but the current name is great.
Subject: Finally - Maxed 401k - Now What
finite_difference wrote:Also I agree with the wiki page "Prioritizing Investments" but it could be extended to list "Taxable Investing" as the last step at the end, with optional steps before that listed in this thread such as funding a 529 or paying off your mortgage. (Funding a 529 and paying more on your mortgage are not for everyone obviously but could be better than taxable in some cases.)
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Also posted in: Subject: Learning about TIAA Traditional
Levett wrote:The Wiki background needs some updating.

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/2 ... apter-TIAA

Lev
In reference to: TIAA-CREF
FiveK

Post by FiveK »

LadyGeek wrote:Yes, it was a bit tough to find: Prioritizing investments

You can get there directly by typing "Prioritizing investments" in the wiki's search box (upper right corner). Or, "Investing priority". You'll get hits on partial matches.

Is there another keyword or phrase that would help find the page better?
Investment Order?
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Thanks, I added your suggestion and a few more. Since the wiki is focused on investing, the search box gets a bit crowded with pages that start with "invest..."

Here's what will work in the search box: Pages that link to "Prioritizing investments"
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

LadyGeek wrote:Also posted in: Subject: Learning about TIAA Traditional
Levett wrote:The Wiki background needs some updating.

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/2 ... apter-TIAA

Lev
In reference to: TIAA-CREF
The wiki has been updated: TIAA
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

In "Mitigating the Risks of Cognitive Decline", Ever Ready is suggesting this would be a good wiki topic.
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

LadyGeek wrote:In "Mitigating the Risks of Cognitive Decline", Ever Ready is suggesting this would be a good wiki topic.
It seems to be an increasingly frequent topic on the forum and could be a topic under the wiki's "Retirement Planning."
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
runner9

Post by runner9 »

Since it's not 2013, should this be updated?

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Three-f ... t_bonds.3F
runner9

Post by runner9 »

A week later, anyone?
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The wiki has been updated: Three-fund portfolio - Bogleheads (It's 2016. What about bonds?)*

* The wiki is a collaborative effort. Click on the View history tab (top right) to see who edited the page. It wasn't me.
moshe

Post by moshe »

Suggestion for change to the CAPM page: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/CAPM_-_ ... cing_Model

Besides the two methods listed Beta (β) can also be calculated by taking the performance returns (Ri) over a time period of the individual asset (i) (or portfolio) divided by the performance returns (Rm) of the market. β = Slope = Ri/Rm.

~Moshe
My money has no emotions. ~Moshe | | I'm the world's greatest expert on my own opinion. ~Bruce Williams
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

While there can be several ways of measuring β, the intent was to put things in context with the CAPM model.

The Beta formula used in CAPM - Capital Asset Pricing Model was taken from Understanding Risk and Return, the CAPM, and the Fama-French Three-Factor Mode, from SSRN.

Adding another definition might stray from the article's intent, unless you feel differently (?). Do you have a link to a credible source for that definition?

Missing from the CAPM page was a link to: Fama-French three-factor model analysis ("See also"), which I just added. You might find it of interest.
moshe

Post by moshe »

LadyGeek wrote:While there can be several ways of measuring β, the intent was to put things in context with the CAPM model.

The Beta formula used in CAPM - Capital Asset Pricing Model was taken from Understanding Risk and Return, the CAPM, and the Fama-French Three-Factor Mode, from SSRN.

Adding another definition might stray from the article's intent, unless you feel differently (?). Do you have a link to a credible source for that definition?

Missing from the CAPM page was a link to: Fama-French three-factor model analysis ("See also"), which I just added. You might find it of interest.
Rise(i)/run(m) is just another way aka the slope. It is also the easiest to understand intuitively which is why i think it should be listed! If I own equity X and it's excess return is 8% and the ER of the market m is 10% then X's beta is .8. The other formulas are also valid but harder to understand no?

Besides my Finance Professor you mean :-)

http://www.wikihow.com/Calculate-Beta

~Moshe
My money has no emotions. ~Moshe | | I'm the world's greatest expert on my own opinion. ~Bruce Williams
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I was ready to insert your definition, but I got hung up on your example's use of excess return (the return over the risk-free rate).

Going by How to Calculate Beta (with Pictures) - wikiHow, then comparing against the formula in the wiki, I'm not so sure we're doing an apples-to-apples comparison.

I modified your example to show how the article calculates Beta:
From a fundamental perspective, Beta (β) is calculated by taking the risk-adjusted return Ri (return over the risk-free rate, also known as the "Risk-adjusted" or "excess" return) over a time period of the individual asset (i) (or portfolio) divided by the risk-adjusted return (Rm) of the market. Simplifying further, β is the slope of the line of the returns over this period.

β = Slope of the line = Ri / Rm.

For example: If an equity X has a return of 8%, the expected return of the market m is 10%, and the risk-free rate is 2%:

β = 0.75 = Ri / Rm = (8% - 2%) / (10% - 2%)
I think this is different than the wiki article, which calculates β over the "market" - not risk adjusted. Can you please clarify, or show me what I did wrong?
moshe

Post by moshe »

Nice write up.

By definition you remove the Rf from all returns before doing any calculations, no matter the formula used for Beta, SD, Alpha, Er(P), etc.

~Moshe
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Thanks! Here it is in context: CAPM - Capital Asset Pricing Model

If anything needs a correction or you have additional suggestions, post here.
retengr

Post by retengr »

at https://blbarnitz4.wordpress.com/2016/0 ... 15-update/

The text states that 30% of the stock allocation is invested in the International fund. However, the figures show only 20% of the stock allocation in the international fund. For example, the 80/20 figure shows 16% in international, not 24%.

I really appreciate the information posted showing the historical performance of the various 3 fund versions. I hope you can clarify this aspect of the 3 fund investments. I'm guessing that the text is right and the figures are in error.

Paul
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Thanks! The blog has been updated: Three fund portfolio 2015 update | Financial Page

A link to our unofficial blog is on the left-side menu of every wiki page. See: Blog

We'll take suggestions for the blog here as well.
rwscid

Post by rwscid »

Very new to this, please be patient if I am in the wrong place doing the wrong thing.

On this page https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Extende ... index_fund

there is a (working) link which leads to a page which does not deliver the promised information. Or perhaps I just don't know how to read the link, do the math, think, etc.

The sentence reads:

"One convenient source for the proper current percentage composition is Vanguard's benchmark statistics."

The link provides only historical returns. If someone could substitute a link that does what it says it should do, or set my thinking straight, it would be greatly appreciated, for balancing my portfolio of index funds to the 'proper current percentage' is precisely what I am attempting to do.

Thx in advance!
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Welcome! That's a great question, as I don't know the answer, either. :) I've asked the other wiki editors for help with this one.

The article in question: Extended market index fund

We use the same software as Wikipedia. The top left corner of every page as a "Discussion" tab where editors can ask questions and get help. I posted your question, along with my comments, in the Discussion tab.
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

Mike Piper recently posted a really helpful link to an official SSA Glossary of Acronyms.

This would make a great addition to the wiki. It turns out that this is already in the wiki, but is easy to overlook because it is farther down the page.
Note that the wiki already has a link to a Social Security Glossary of Terms, with many helpful extended definitions, but it is based on looking up terms rather than acronyms and is not nearly as comprehensive as Mike's link above.

I think both the existing link to the SSA Glossary of Terms and Mike's link to the SSA Glossary of Acronyms belong on the wiki, near one another so it is easy to recognize that both exist.

Edited to add: text in red after finding out from sscritic and Mike Piper that the link is already in the wiki, just deserves slightly more prominent location.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Regarding our fabulous wiki :happy
Sometimes it is frustrating using the wiki search box and I wish for an index or table of contents.
Apparently there is an index, I just never knew where it was = it's called the "complete article list"

It is found by, on the wiki home page, scrolling down to "Can't find what you're looking for?" and there will be a link to the "complete article list" which brings up an alphabetical list of wiki articles, which link to the specific article. The complete article list index page, however, is not called complete article list or index or table of contents, it's called "All pages."

I may not be the only person who missed this index. Perhaps this link could be re-named "Index of Articles" and also a link called "index" could be included on the more visible left hand side of the wiki home page, along with the "site navigation" and "recent changes" column. It may make it easier for viewers to find articles in the wiki.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

dodecahedron wrote:Mike Piper recently posted a really helpful link to an official SSA Glossary of Acronyms....
Thanks! The wiki has been updated in two places.

- Social Security - The box in the upper right corner now has an "Abbreviations and acronyms" section
- Abbreviations and Acronyms (R - T) now has a "Social Security" entry containing the SSA links.
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

Thanks for the changes. It will now be easier for folks to spot all the links that might be potentially useful in decrypting SS terminology and acronyms.