Suggestions for the Wiki

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Suggestions for the Wiki

Post by LadyGeek »

runner9 wrote:http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Estate_a ... ance_taxes

I'm confused about the map with red states on it. Ohio, NC, and Indiana are repealed but still red.

Text says: "The states imposing estate and inheritance taxes are illustrated in the map to the right and are included in the table below."

I may just be missing something.
No, the map was out of date. The map has been updated, along with a fixing a few more broken links: Estate and inheritance tax

The wiki is a collaborative effort. To see who edited the article, click on the "View history" tab in the top-right corner. This is also how Wikipedia works; we use the same software.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
asif408

Post by asif408 »

Would it be possible to add information about tax-gain harvesting for 529s for those in the 15% marginal tax bracket to this page: http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Tax_gain_harvesting based on this discussion from the forum:

http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... 1&t=140370

I think the last part of jasonv's post would be particularly helpful to those of us in the lower tax brackets.

Thanks for your consideration,
asif
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Hi,

FYI - We're working on it. I thought it might be better in 529 plans as a new "Gains on 529 plan investments" section, but I'm not an expert and got stuck. I've asked the other wiki editors for assistance.

For the wiki, we usually track down credible sources (like IRS publications) and add content to be sure all the bases are covered (or "basis" in this case :) ).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
asif408

Post by asif408 »

Thanks, LadyGeek. I can appreciate you trying to cover your "basis". :wink:
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

We worked on it, the answer is not straight-forward. I moved the wiki editor's collaboration thread for everyone to see and contribute: Wiki Suggestion - Tax gain harvesting for 529 plans
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

FYI - I moved a suggestion by FiveK (and bpp's response) to a new thread: Wiki: Tax Effects of Maximizing Roth IRA Contributions
Johm221122

Post by Johm221122 »

This article/information(bob's not my name)should be included in WIKI article emergency fund
http://thefinancebuff.com/your-traditio ... -fund.html

John
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Thanks, I updated the wiki: Emergency fund
hillman

Additional link to Managing a Windfall in the Wiki

Post by hillman »

[Thread merged, see below. --admin LadyGeek]

Vanguard has composed an overview on managing a financial windfall. The information is not new, but I thought it might benefit from being linked to in the Wiki.

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/insigh ... iewContent

Moderators, please delete this post once consideration is given. I was unsure how to make this recommendation.
Tortuga

Re: Additional link to Managing a Windfall in the Wiki

Post by Tortuga »

The addition to the Wiki has been made by Grabiner.

Tortuga
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Additional link to Managing a Windfall in the Wiki

Post by LadyGeek »

hillman wrote:Moderators, please delete this post once consideration is given. I was unsure how to make this recommendation.
Rather than delete the thread (which we normally don't do), I merged your post into Suggestions for the Wiki.

The wiki home page shows how to make suggestions. Also, the bottom of every page contains a reader feedback form - no login required.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Peculiar_Investor
Site Admin

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

More detailed information about how reader feedback can help improve the wiki -- Bogleheads:Article feedback.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
runner9

Post by runner9 »

Maybe I'm missing it, but is there a "landing page" for learning about taxable accounts?

Searching the wiki for taxable, taxable account and nonretirement account don't bring up any single page that explains all aspects of these accounts.

I found one page on capital gains taxation, one on not buying the dividend, one for reinvesting dividends, and one efficient placement of funds inside different types of accounts. I've more stumbled on these them found them.

Is this what the wiki has to offer on taxable accounts or am I missing some pages to read?

I'm looking for an overall explanation. For instance, this thread (http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... 2&t=143217)implies a parent can gift funds directly from a taxable account and the child can sell and pay capital gains on their own tax table. Correct? I didn't know that, and didn't see it in any of the wiki pages referenced above.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Thanks for the suggestion. Take a look how the wiki is organized: Browse site (The 2nd link from the top in the left-hand menu.)

We have major categories for retirement planning, then the retirement plan accounts under that (IRA, etc.). You are correct in that we have no category for "taxable accounts."

The difficulty lies in the fact that a "taxable account" consists of securities which can be dual-purpose; they're not a regulated category like an IRA or 401(k). For example, a CD can be both taxable and tax-deferred ("IRA CD").

I'm not sure if creating a landing (dedicated) page for taxable accounts would be helpful - it might be overly confusing. If I missed anything, let me know.

===================
As for Transfer of assets to child. Tax strategy, we have this wiki page: Kiddie tax. I'm not an expert, but I posted in the thread to see if that page will help.
suewolf

Post by suewolf »

Both of the links under Life Expectancy calculators are broken
Withdrawal rates and life expectancy
Main article: Life Expectancy Calculators
http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Boglehea ... art-up_kit

I quick Google on those same words brings up a long list of possibilities. Not sure which is the best thought.

Thanks - great site!
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Welcome! Thanks for the suggestion. I fixed the broken link and revised the section - which was in need of an update.

See: Bogleheads® retirement planning start-up kit

If you have any further suggestions or corrections, just post here.
BigFoot48

Post by BigFoot48 »

suewolf wrote:Both of the links under Life Expectancy calculators are broken
Withdrawal rates and life expectancy
Main article: Life Expectancy Calculators
http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Boglehea ... art-up_kit

I quick Google on those same words brings up a long list of possibilities. Not sure which is the best thought.

Thanks - great site!
I removed MSN's as I could not find it again, and added one from Northwestern Mutual that looks reasonable. The Living To 100 one still works, but generated a warning in Firefox regarding its certificate, but I see it recommended elsewhere so think it's still a good choice, although I see it requires registration for results.

Oops, LadyGeek may have beat me to it.
Retired | Two-time in top-10 in Bogleheads S&P500 contest; 18-time loser
suewolf

Post by suewolf »

Thanks for fixing the retirement start up kit so quickly! much appreciated.
gatorman

Wiki Links

Post by gatorman »

[Thread merged into here --admin LadyGeek]

Hi- Just wanted to let you know the links to the simba spreadsheet and Norbert's link to index universe in the Wiki need to be updated.
Regards,
gatorman
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Hi,

I merged your thread into here, which is in the Local Chapters and Bogleheads Community forum (wiki suggestions).

I'm having some problems to locate what you're referring to. Can you provide more information?
runner9

Post by runner9 »

On this page: http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Long_Ter ... plications the what's included in schedule A is from 2010.

Current figures are found here (scroll slightly):
http://www.irs.gov/publications/p502/ar ... 1000178974
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Thanks, I updated the wiki: Long-term care insurance

Since it already references Publication 502 (2013), Medical and Dental Expenses (your supplied link), there was no need to update the citation. Only the numbers needed an update.
Call_Me_Op

Typo in Wiki - Please Fix

Post by Call_Me_Op »

[Thread merged into here, see below. --admin LadyGeek]

Can someone fix this typo in the in the Bogleheads Wiki, in the write-up on "Individual Bond versus a Bond Fund." It states:

"This makes clear a key fact often admitted in the financial advice literature. The recommendation to "keep your duration equal to your need for the money" cannot be applied once and forgotten, but must be updated continuously (or more realistically, by rebalancing every 3-12 months into shorter-term funds)."

I believe the author intended to say "omitted", rather than "admitted."

http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Individu ... _bond_fund
Best regards, -Op | | "In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." Einstein
xenial

Re: Typo in Wiki - Please Fix

Post by xenial »

Done! :happy
Call_Me_Op

Re: Typo in Wiki - Please Fix

Post by Call_Me_Op »

Thanks Ken!
Best regards, -Op | | "In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." Einstein
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Call_Me_Op- I merged your thread into here, which is the "recommended" place to request wiki updates. However, we'll take the suggestions anywhere (was in the personal investments forum). No worries.

The 2nd paragraph in the wiki's home page explains how to make a suggestion. Also, the bottom of every wiki page has a feedback form ("Help improve this page"). No login required.

The link in human readable format: Individual bonds vs a bond fund
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

I see many help threads where investing priority is a main issue, and possibilities like HSAs, debt payment & the backdoor Roth enter the picture. It might it be clearer and more helpful if the wiki page "prioritizing investments" were revised to use a single priority list, such as:

"Investors who are able to place their investments in several different kinds of accounts (such as taxable accounts, 401k, or IRA) need to decide which ones to prioritize. In order to maximize the tax efficiency of a portfolio . This is a general account funding priority that often works well for many people (all points will not apply to everyone):
1) contribute to the work-based plan (401k, 403b) enough to get the full employer match (the match is like free money, your best possible investment),
2) pay off high interest debt (a guaranteed high return, the next best thing to free money),
3) contribute to a health savings account (HSA) if available (unlike many other tax deductions, there are no income restrictions to contribute to an HSA),
4) contribute the maximum to an IRA, traditional or Roth, depending on eligibility and personal circumstances,
5) contribute the remainder of the maximum employee contribution to the work-based plan,
6) contribute via the backdoor Roth technique,
7) contribute to taxable investing,
8) non-deductible IRAs or annuities."

I think I correctly followed the priority order from Ch. 10, Bogleheads' Guide to Retirement Planning. I am not really sure about the order of 6 & 7, are they about equal perhaps. Also 3 & 4 about equal priority perhaps?

Keep the explanatory paragraphs that follow, add two more short explanatory paragraphs about HSAs and backdoor Roths, and under"See Also" add links to the wiki pages on HSAs and backdoor Roths also possibly a link to the wiki entry on "401k - Expensive or mediocre choices".
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
runner9

Post by runner9 »

http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... &p=2265522

Based on how this thread is going, guessing the page needs modified in the wiki.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Thanks! CyberBob took care of it. See: Re: Dividends in my taxable account
C8H18Engineer

Post by C8H18Engineer »

Wiki page http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/HSA#HSA_ ... nd_options needs to be updated for HSA Adminsitrators. The link to their fee schedule has changed: http://healthsavings.com/members/fees/
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

C8H18Engineer wrote:Wiki page http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/HSA#HSA_ ... nd_options needs to be updated for HSA Adminsitrators. The link to their fee schedule has changed: http://healthsavings.com/members/fees/
Thanks. The link has been fixed, but not by me: Health savings account

Under View history (top-right tab), Ken Schwartz made the update.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

ruralavalon wrote:I see many help threads where investing priority is a main issue, and possibilities like HSAs, debt payment & the backdoor Roth enter the picture. It might it be clearer and more helpful if the wiki page "prioritizing investments" were revised to use a single priority list, such as:

"Investors who are able to place their investments in several different kinds of accounts (such as taxable accounts, 401k, or IRA) need to decide which ones to prioritize. In order to maximize the tax efficiency of a portfolio . This is a general account funding priority that often works well for many people (all points will not apply to everyone):
1) contribute to the work-based plan (401k, 403b) enough to get the full employer match (the match is like free money, your best possible investment),
2) pay off high interest debt (a guaranteed high return, the next best thing to free money),
3) contribute to a health savings account (HSA) if available (unlike many other tax deductions, there are no income restrictions to contribute to an HSA),
4) contribute the maximum to an IRA, traditional or Roth, depending on eligibility and personal circumstances,
5) contribute the remainder of the maximum employee contribution to the work-based plan,

I think I correctly followed the priority order from Ch. 10, Bogleheads' Guide to Retirement Planning. I am not really sure about the order of 6 & 7, are they about equal perhaps. Also 3 & 4 about equal priority perhaps?

Keep the explanatory paragraphs that follow, add two more short explanatory paragraphs about HSAs and backdoor Roths, and under"See Also" add links to the wiki pages on HSAs and backdoor Roths also possibly a link to the wiki entry on "401k - Expensive or mediocre choices".
Sorry for the delay. Thank you! The wiki has been revised: Prioritizing investments

I left out your comments about order priority for 6 & 7, 3 & 4 as I thnk readers will prioritize them on their own. Or, do you think a statement should be added?

I also didn't know what to explain about HSAs or backdoor Roths and left that out, as the linked wiki articles provide the explanations. Or, do you have something specific in mind?

If you want to discuss in detail, start a new thread in the Investing - Theory, News & General forum and post the link here. I can also split these posts into a new thread if you prefer.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

LadyGeek wrote:
ruralavalon wrote:I see many help threads where investing priority is a main issue, and possibilities like HSAs, debt payment & the backdoor Roth enter the picture. It might it be clearer and more helpful if the wiki page "prioritizing investments" were revised to use a single priority list, such as:

Sorry for the delay. Thank you! The wiki has been revised: Prioritizing investments

I left out your comments about order priority for 6 & 7, 3 & 4 as I thnk readers will prioritize them on their own. Or, do you think a statement should be added?

I also didn't know what to explain about HSAs or backdoor Roths and left that out, as the linked wiki articles provide the explanations. Or, do you have something specific in mind?

If you want to discuss in detail, start a new thread in the Investing - Theory, News & General forum and post the link here. I can also split these posts into a new thread if you prefer.
Looking at the discussion thread you referenced on HSAs I now think there is no real question that # 3 HSAs comes ahead of # 4 IRAs, because of additional tax deductions. HSAs defer both income and FICA taxes (IRAs defer only income, not FICA, taxes), and HSA money is never taxed if spent on medical care.

For an explanatory paragraph on HSAs I had in mind something very similar to your note -- "Use of an HSA requires participation in a IRS qualified high deductible health plan (HDHP) at work. Look at your particular health care needs to decide if you may be better off with a traditional health care plan or a HDHP plus HSA. If the later, then using the HSA as an investment account can be advantageous."

The paragraph explains two prerequisites are for use of an HSA. The link to the wiki on HSAs then explains the advantages.

I think I would combine 6 & 7 -- "6) contribute to a taxable account or use the backdoor Roth technique."

For an explanatory paragraph on combined # 6 I have in mind -- "Most people may find taxable investing more suitable. A backdoor Roth is more suitable for high income taxpayers who are not eligible for direct Roth IRA contributions, have no other traditional IRA assets, and expect to be in a higher tax bracket in retirement."

The paragraph outlines who is likely to find benefit, then the linked wiki article gives the details.

I think it is best under "See Also" to add a link to the wiki entry on "401k - Expensive or mediocre choices". New members often have investing priority questions about whether 401k expenses are so high that one should omit its use if there is no employer match or after getting the match.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Your suggestions have been incorporated, along with a few more changes. How's it look? Prioritizing investments
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

LadyGeek wrote:Your suggestions have been incorporated, along with a few more changes. How's it look? Prioritizing investments
I think that covers it well, thanks.
BSA44

Post by BSA44 »

It might be useful if the list of 'Substitute Funds' section on the 'Tax Loss Harvesting' page (http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Tax_loss_harvesting) was a bit more developed (I know it would be useful for me). Some basic things that could be added are listing Vanguard substitutes instead of the Schwab funds, and adding in some missing commonly held funds (like VXUS, VEU, VSS, etc.).
bigfun

Post by bigfun »

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Financi ... t_the_plan

Suggesting a very small edit, but perhaps important to include gender neutrality when paying for a daughter or son's wedding:

Financial Planning

Establish goals and gather data

Planning includes significant financial life events, such as:

When your pension and employer retirement plan contributions become vested.
When a mortgage will be paid off.
When children will be in college.
When kids move out and become financially independent.
A child's [was daughter's] wedding as a possible large expense.
The death of a spouse; one's future incapacity.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Thank you, your suggestion has been incorporated: Financial planning (Establish goals and gather data).
Peculiar_Investor
Site Admin

Found another one in Checklist of important retirement dates. Corrected.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

These Vanguard white papers would be useful to add to the list of links in the "ETFs vs Mutual funds" page:
http://www.vanguard.com/pdf/ISGETF.pdf
http://www.vanguard.com/pdf/s803.pdf
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The papers have been added: ETFs vs mutual funds
rsterbal

Post by rsterbal »

How do you feel about using redirects for adding similar terms to the wiki?

I was hoping to add a redirect for Budgeting to [https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Household_budgeting Household Budgeting]

or does this wiki not support redirects?
Peculiar_Investor
Site Admin

Yes the wiki supports redirects. You suggestion has been implemented. See https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Budgeting
Epsilon Delta

EU investing

Post by Epsilon Delta »

I suggest the following reference, mentioned in this post by hafius500, be added to the https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/EU_investing

https://www.spdrseurope.com/library-con ... _Guide.pdf

Personally I'm of the opinion the "Accumulating/capitalizing vs. distributing ETF share classes" needs to be rewritten. The "general advice" to use accumulating funds does not apply in much of the EU. Many countries (including UK, Germany) tax earnings whether distributed or not. I would be better if it described this as a factor to consider, followed by (possibly) partial lists of countries that favor accumulating or distributing. (Followed by a do your own research if it's a partial list.)
TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner »

Suggestion to update wiki info regarding Rick Ferri's Core 4 portfolios (e.g. https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Lazy_portfolios) to update asset allocation to his revised recommendation per this msg: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154400&start=350#p2519915 . Rick says it is a long-term change, but for folks coming in new, they might as well see the current recommendation. Thanks.
One cannot enlighten the unconscious. | "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine." -Jeff Spicoli
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: EU investing

Post by LadyGeek »

Epsilon Delta wrote:I suggest the following reference, mentioned in this post by hafius500, be added to the https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/EU_investing

https://www.spdrseurope.com/library-con ... _Guide.pdf

Personally I'm of the opinion the "Accumulating/capitalizing vs. distributing ETF share classes" needs to be rewritten. The "general advice" to use accumulating funds does not apply in much of the EU. Many countries (including UK, Germany) tax earnings whether distributed or not. I would be better if it described this as a factor to consider, followed by (possibly) partial lists of countries that favor accumulating or distributing. (Followed by a do your own research if it's a partial list.)
Thanks, I updated the wiki: EU investing (External links) and gave you credit in the referenced thread.

As for the "Accumulating/capitalizing vs. distributing ETF share classes" it would be better to discuss this in more detail so we can get a consensus. Do you want to start a new thread, or is there an existing thread to jump on to?
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

TimeRunner wrote:Suggestion to update wiki info regarding Rick Ferri's Core 4 portfolios (e.g. https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Lazy_portfolios) to update asset allocation to his revised recommendation per this msg: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154400&start=350#p2519915 . Rick says it is a long-term change, but for folks coming in new, they might as well see the current recommendation. Thanks.
Thanks! You got it, see: See: Lazy portfolios (Core four portfolios)

I also gave you credit in the referenced forum threads: The Core Four, and Rick Ferri looking to internationalize his portfolio
Roothy

Post by Roothy »

Please update the wiki with the text in the first post of this thread. viewtopic.php?f=10&t=172568&start=50
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Roothy wrote:Please update the wiki with the text in the first post of this thread. viewtopic.php?f=10&t=172568&start=50
Thanks to Roothy, this is now a Bogleheads community effort.

We have a draft page in process and comments are being solicited in TLH for absolute dummies [Tax Loss Harvesting], where the page will be developed. All members are welcome to contribute.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

FYI - I moved FiveK's suggestion into a stand-alone thread. See: [Wiki suggestion] Invest in taxable or 401(k)?