Salt Lake City (or Wasatch Front) Bogleheads? Or Both?

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Mel Lindauer

Re: Salt Lake City Bogleheads

Post by Mel Lindauer »

White Coat Investor wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:52 am Sure, why not? I'll come and I'll be prepared to present something.
That would definitely be a "don't miss it" reason to attend.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
telemark

Post by telemark »

Mel Lindauer wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:56 am
White Coat Investor wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:52 am Sure, why not? I'll come and I'll be prepared to present something.
That would definitely be a "don't miss it" reason to attend.
Yes indeed. If anyone has a subject of interest this would be a great time to mention it.
InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams »

Here?
8:30am
Draper Kneaders
177 13800 S, Draper, UT 84020

WCI - what topic? Just in case I have interested friends.
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

InMyDreams wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:18 pm Here?
8:30am
Draper Kneaders
177 13800 S, Draper, UT 84020

WCI - what topic? Just in case I have interested friends.
I'm not in charge (and actually I'm not sure who is), but that's not the location in the email being circulated for the group. I don't know if I'm even allowed to post the location on the internet, but it's at a private business in South Jordan. If your friends are interested have them email me at editor (at) whitecoatinvestor before 8am tomorrow and I'll make sure they have the location and my cell.

I think the list of potential topics I threw out on the email included these:

student loan management
Backdoor Roth IRAs
HSAs
Nuts and bolts of portfolio management
various ways to add real estate to a portfolio

I think the idea is to lead a discussion, not necessarily give a lecture, but I've either spoken or written recently on all of these topics and can do them "off the couch" so to speak.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams »

White Coat Investor wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:07 pm
I'm not in charge (and actually I'm not sure who is), but that's not the location in the email being circulated for the group. I don't know if I'm even allowed to post the location on the internet, but it's at a private business in South Jordan. If your friends are interested have them email me at editor (at) whitecoatinvestor before 8am tomorrow and I'll make sure they have the location and my cell.
I attended the first meeting, where the alternative location was discussed - but are we sure it will be available? I sent an email to the one listed in this thread last night or this morning, and no response.

Will send email to you.
White Coat Investor wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:07 pm
I think the list of potential topics I threw out on the email included these:

student loan management
Backdoor Roth IRAs
HSAs

Nuts and bolts of portfolio management
various ways to add real estate to a portfolio

I think the idea is to lead a discussion, not necessarily give a lecture, but I've either spoken or written recently on all of these topics and can do them "off the couch" so to speak.
I would vote for Backdoor or HSAs - what are others interested in?
White Coat Investor

I won't be checking email again until late tonight after my shift so don't panic if you don't get a response until then.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
telemark

Post by telemark »

White Coat Investor wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:07 pm I'm not in charge (and actually I'm not sure who is), but that's not the location in the email being circulated for the group. I don't know if I'm even allowed to post the location on the internet, but it's at a private business in South Jordan. If your friends are interested have them email me at editor (at) whitecoatinvestor before 8am tomorrow and I'll make sure they have the location and my cell.
It's been posted here before, so I assume it's OK to repeat it now.

859 W. South Jordan Parkway
South Jordan UT 84095

This can be a little hard to find. It's on the south side of the road, and the entrance is on the side facing away from the road. If it turns out we don't have access to the building, we can repair to the Kneaders at 962 West (which is on the north side of the road). In that case (or even if not) I'll be the guy with a brace on his wrist.
White Coat Investor

Construction in the parking lot at the primary location. Go to the Kneaders at 962 W South Jordan Parkway.
Krunk

Post by Krunk »

Nov. 3rd was listed before as a meeting date. Still on?
pixtonian

Post by pixtonian »

I would love to. I am in Draper.
Passive Dave

Post by Passive Dave »

I like to be involved if there is a group going?
DoubleDraw

Post by DoubleDraw »

I'm interested as well!
gailcox

Post by gailcox »

Is the Salt Lake City Chapter still active?

Gail Cox
travellight

Post by travellight »

I would love to attend a meeting. Best dates for me are the end of June: June 27th or 28th or 29th would be best. If others are interested, I can coordinate if no one else can.
Valky77

Post by Valky77 »

Hello, I'm new here. Is there still a Salt Lake chapter? I would like to attend a meeting if they are still happening.
ksualum

Post by ksualum »

Does anyone want to try a zoom or teams meeting???

I think I have an old list in my personal email with some older members. If you are a newer member, could you send me your contact info? Either PM me or put it on here.

Let's see if we can revive this group!
travellight

Post by travellight »

I am up for meeting.
cookymonster

Post by cookymonster »

I've moved about 45 minutes away but may be up for meeting if the schedule works.
iamcam

Post by iamcam »

I'd be interested. Is there a keeper of contact info I should get in touch with?
travellight

Post by travellight »

Let's just set something up in a couple of weeks and see if people see this thread. How about Sunday, 11/1/20 @ 11 am? Looks like people from Ogden to Draper so maybe meet in Sugarhouse area?
ksualum

Post by ksualum »

I just reached out to the individual with the old email list. I will see if he can supply it to me or perhaps help organize. I will keep everyone posted.
travellight

Post by travellight »

Great, thanks! We can meet in a central location, maybe even a park or do it by Zoom.
Fran K

Post by Fran K »

It's this still active? I'm in UC and would be interested in getting on a contact list.
Time is your friend; impulse is your enemy. -John C. Bogle
GeorgeousGordo

Post by GeorgeousGordo »

I also would like to be out on a contact list if there are meetups.
Thanks,
travellight

Post by travellight »

Why don't we set a date and whoever can attend can do so? I will plan for the last Saturday this month, at 11 am. Location TBD but likely in Central SLC. Just write on this thread if you can attend.
hspencer

Post by hspencer »

I live in Utah County and just encountered bogleheads.org. I'd like to get involved with the Salt Lake City chapter. How do I get on the contact list?
Fran K

Post by Fran K »

I'm still interested in getting together as well and am in UC.
MtnRetreat

Post by MtnRetreat »

Is there a SLC group still?
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

If someone wants to step up and volunteer to be the new Local Chapter Coordinator (assuming the previous Coordinator is no longer active), PM me with your first name and an email address that you'd use for this purpose and I'll get your new contact info listed on the Local Chapters Map so that others can contact you. And you and your group could continue to use this forum to do planning and make announcements.
Fran K

Post by Fran K »

Mel Lindauer wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:09 pm If someone wants to step up and volunteer to be the new Local Chapter Coordinator (assuming the previous Coordinator is no longer active), PM me with your first name and an email address that you'd use for this purpose and I'll get your new contact info listed on the Local Chapters Map so that others can contact you. And you and your group could continue to use this forum to do planning and make announcements.
I'm willing to get something organized and be the local chapter coordinator if there are others interested in getting together. Anyone else interested in a SLC/Wasatch front chapter meeting a couple of times a year?
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Fran K wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:00 pm
Mel Lindauer wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:09 pm If someone wants to step up and volunteer to be the new Local Chapter Coordinator (assuming the previous Coordinator is no longer active), PM me with your first name and an email address that you'd use for this purpose and I'll get your new contact info listed on the Local Chapters Map so that others can contact you. And you and your group could continue to use this forum to do planning and make announcements.

I'm willing to get something organized and be the local chapter coordinator if there are others interested in getting together. Anyone else interested in a SLC/Wasatch front chapter meeting a couple of times a year?
Great. Now let's see if there are at least four others who are still interested. If so, we'll make it official and get your group up and running.

Anyone else interested? If so, post here so we'll know that we have the makings of a new SLC/Wasatch Local Chapter.
matt27

Post by matt27 »

I'm interested! Located in Lehi.
holycow007

Post by holycow007 »

I am interested..Located on wasatch front
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Fran K wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:00 pm
Looks like you've got enough to get the Local Chapter up and running. PM me with your first name and an email address that you'll use for that purpose (don't use your personal email address - suggest something like SLCBogleheads@gmail.com) and I'll get your group up and running.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

We have a Boglehead who has agreed to become the Local Chapter Coordinator, but he has requested a name change to Wasatch Front Bogleheads. Should the name be changed from Salt Lake City Bogleheads or should the Wasatch Front Bogleheads become a new chapter?

Let me hear from all of those involved.
matt27

Post by matt27 »

Mel Lindauer wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:54 pm We have a Boglehead who has agreed to become the Local Chapter Coordinator, but he has requested a name change to Wasatch Front Bogleheads. Should the name be changed from Salt Lake City Bogleheads or should the Wasatch Front Bogleheads become a new chapter?

I think Wasatch Front Bogleheads makes sense.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

matt27 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 9:20 pm
Mel Lindauer wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:54 pm We have a Boglehead who has agreed to become the Local Chapter Coordinator, but he has requested a name change to Wasatch Front Bogleheads. Should the name be changed from Salt Lake City Bogleheads or should the Wasatch Front Bogleheads become a new chapter?

I think Wasatch Front Bogleheads makes sense.
In your opinion, does it make sense to change the Local Chapter name from Salt Lake City Bogleheads or does it make sense to leave that Local Chapter name alone and establish a new Wasatch Front Bogleheads Local Chapter?
Mel Lindauer

Re: Salt Lake City (or Wasatch Front) Bogleheads? Or Both?

Post by Mel Lindauer »

OK, it's settled. The Local Chapter name will remain "Salt Lake City". Here's the new Local Chapter Coordinator contact info:

Fran K
slcbogleheads@gmail.com
Fran K

Post by Fran K »

Thanks Mel!

All,

I am looking forward to establishing a more local conversation here on this message board and finding an opportunity to get together in person. I am located in Utah County and saw from some posts above that others are located mostly South of Salt Lake. Could you respond to this post with (1) your physical location, (2) how often would you like to have an in-person gathering, and (3) what ideas for formats and topics for gatherings do you have?

By the way, my name is Andy, Fran K is just my handle on here. Feel free to email me at SLCbogleheads@gmail.com with your email address if you would like. We can use that email list as a secondary way to get information out.
matt27

Post by matt27 »

Thanks Andy. I live in Lehi and suggest perhaps monthly or quarterly in-person meetings.

Some Potential Topics:
  1. Social kickoff - simply get to know one another
  2. Investing 101 - perhaps make this a bring a friend event so we can help others learn about Boglehead principles.
  3. Tools for managing investments, budgeting, etc.
  4. Retirement planning
  5. Index investing
  6. Factor investing
  7. Bond Investing 101
  8. Alternative investments (Real Estate, Crypto, P2P lending, etc.)
  9. Teaching the next generation to invest
  10. Tax smart investing
  11. FIRE
  12. Rebalancing strategies
  13. Drawdown strategies
  14. Asset protection
  15. Non-investing personal finance (Debt paydown, budgeting, making housing decisions, etc.)
As to format, perhaps we solicit volunteers to pull together a presentation on a topic followed by Q&A?
White Coat Investor

I'm still here in Salt Lake. I think this, like most get togethers, just got put on a backburner due to the pandemic.

In the SL Valley and probably willing to host people one night at some point. I've been to enough Bogleheads get-togethers to know it's pretty harmless to get together with you all.
H-Dog

Post by H-Dog »

Located in SLC. Personally I think we could try to meet monthly or every other month.

Perhaps a few other topics. I’m definitely not an expert.

Cash management strategies
- checking, savings, credit card for efficiency vs maximizing benefits

Insurance
- wide range of topics

Estate planning

Expenses (successes and failures + strategies) - large and small
robertfromtx

Post by robertfromtx »

Hi everyone! I'm mostly a long-time lurker to the forums, but I live in SLC (east bench area) and would be interested in meeting up every other month or so.
Fran K

Post by Fran K »

Thanks for the responses so far. Let's see how many others chime in and then we can start talking about some specific dates and times.
Vize

Post by Vize »

I’d be down to meet up sometime. I’m in SLC proper.
travellight

Post by travellight »

Is anyone interested in getting together this weekend? Maybe meet for coffee somewhere central slc?
Fran K

Post by Fran K »

I'm out of town this weekend, sorry.
matt27

Post by matt27 »

Fran K wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 11:46 am I'm out of town this weekend, sorry.
Same for me. Would love to another time soon, though.
White Coat Investor

travellight wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 9:19 am Is anyone interested in getting together this weekend? Maybe meet for coffee somewhere central slc?
I hope we don't get together this weekend. I'll be in the ER!
travellight

Post by travellight »

Oh yikes! I hope people are staying safe so you won’t be too busy. Hope to catch you guys another time then.