Seattle Area Chapter Meetings - Master Thread

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Sage16

Re: Seattle Area Chapter Meetings - Master Thread

Post by Sage16 »

I am planning to attend the lunch meeting on Nov 16th. My wife may also attend but she won't know for sure until the 16th.
Bogle on investing: Diversify, focus on low costs, invest for the long term. Don't speculate and don't be distracted by volatility.
amiller7x7

Post by amiller7x7 »

Elsebet
Thanks for setting this up! As I mentioned earlier, we are in S Cal chasing the sun right now so I won’t be attending this November. Depending on the January meeting date, I may be able to attend that session.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

Looking forward to seeing those who can attend tomorrow! I will have a "Seattle Bogleheads" sign with me.
Elsebet wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:42 pm The next Seattle Bogleheads lunch meeting will be Friday, November 16 at 11:30am at Bellevue Brewing Company.
Please RSVP here or to seattlebogleheads@gmail.com before Monday, November 12 so I know how many to expect.
I will have a small Bogleheads sign on the table so don't be shy!

Menu:
http://www.bellevuebrewing.com/food/

Google Maps:
https://goo.gl/maps/cNMXDbfTyU22

This place can be tricky to find the first time. If you see a restaurant called Angelo's, it's behind and to the right of that building.
The doors open at 11:30am and it gets crowded quickly!

Since it's close to Thanksgiving, I think it would be interesting to think about people in your life who have helped you
along your path to financial independence. If you like, be prepared to talk a bit about that person or persons with the group!

If you can't make this meeting, we will have another in January 2019 where we will discuss healthcare in early retirement! Venue suggestions welcome.

Looking forward to seeing you there!
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

Thanks to all who came out yesterday for lunch, we had a great discussion on many financial topics. Next lunch meeting will be in January. Happy Holidays to all!
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
indexlover

Post by indexlover »

Hello,
Looks like the information in this thread about the Seattle contact is incorrect:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=778&fbclid=IwAR28Ug ... 4NO6t96I0A

Chapter 8 - Seattle
Contact Tyrone (boglety@yahoo.com)

Can you please contact one of the moderators to update with the correct information.

Thanks for your help
“If a statue is ever erected to honor the person who has done the most for American investors, the hands-down choice should be Jack Bogle.” - Mr. Buffett - Berkshire Hathaway ’s 2016 annual report.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

indexlover wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:50 pm Hello,
Looks like the information in this thread about the Seattle contact is incorrect:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=778&fbclid=IwAR28Ug ... 4NO6t96I0A

Chapter 8 - Seattle
Contact Tyrone (boglety@yahoo.com)

Can you please contact one of the moderators to update with the correct information.

Thanks for your help
Requested an update, thanks.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

The next Seattle Bogleheads lunch meeting will be Friday, January 18 2019 at 11:30am at Bellevue Brewing Company.
Please RSVP here or to seattlebogleheads@gmail.com before Monday, January 14 so I know how many to expect.

Menu:

Google Maps:

This place can be tricky to find the first time. If you see a restaurant called Angelo's, it's behind and to the right of that building.

January's topic will be around covering healthcare costs in retirement whether retiring before or after Medicare eligibility. However feel free to bring up other topics, it's usually a very lively discussion!

bwatts849

Post by bwatts849 »

I'm new to Bogleheads as of 2 days ago. I am interested in meeting other Bogleheads in Seattle/Bellevue. I will cont. to lurk about forthcoming meetings. Bill
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. Mark Twain
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

bwatts849 wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:18 pm I'm new to Bogleheads as of 2 days ago. I am interested in meeting other Bogleheads in Seattle/Bellevue. I will cont. to lurk about forthcoming meetings. Bill
Welcome, hope you can make the next meeting on Jan 18!
Last edited by Elsebet on Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bwatts849

Post by bwatts849 »

Thank you.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. Mark Twain
stroopwafel

Post by stroopwafel »

Can we please consider changing the official meeting day of the week to Saturdays? For those of us in downtown, it’s a bit difficult to make our way to Bellevue for the lunch meeting. If we are going to meet that far out, meeting on a Saturday seems like a better option.
Kuota Rider

Post by Kuota Rider »

Is the next meeting January 18th or 19th? Both dates are listed above.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

Kuota Rider wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:58 pm Is the next meeting January 18th or 19th? Both dates are listed above.
Apologies, I fixed that typo. It's on Friday, January 18.
WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima »

Parking and traffic are the biggest problem on Seattle side.
Commuter57

Post by Commuter57 »

Anybody commuting from Kitsap?
WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima »

BH don't like to pay expensive Seattle parking fee.
Umyum

Post by Umyum »

When and WHERE is the next meeting? I’m new and think I see January 19 as a date but no time or location. Thank you!
Umyum

Post by Umyum »

No need to reply. I found the meeting post.
bwatts849

Post by bwatts849 »

Can't make it this Fri. Will continue to follow for the next meeting. Bill (newbie)
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

Reminder for this Friday's lunch, looking forward to it!
Elsebet wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:44 pm The next Seattle Bogleheads lunch meeting will be Friday, January 18 2019 at 11:30am at Bellevue Brewing Company.
Please RSVP here or to seattlebogleheads@gmail.com before Monday, January 14 so I know how many to expect.

Menu:

Google Maps:

January's topic will be around covering healthcare costs in retirement whether retiring before or after Medicare eligibility. However feel free to bring up other topics, it's usually a very lively discussion!

Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

Thank you to everyone who showed up today. We had a great group of 12 and I really enjoyed yet another lunch meeting new interesting fellow Bogleheads! I wish I could have talked to everyone more individually. Next meeting will be in March! If you have venue/topic suggestions let me know.
Sage16

Post by Sage16 »

Thanks for hosting another great Seattle area chapter meeting Elsebet. The turnout was fantastic. I think you found a good central location and I am not sure if there is a better place with a private room, but I am wondering about your thoughts if starting the meeting a little later, e.g. 1pm, would be helpful. The restaurant filled quickly at 11:30 with the lunch rush and the noise level made it a little difficult to have a conversation with anyone not immediately near me. As the lunch crowd thinned it become much easier to talk. I did have a great time, once again found it valuable and I will be back for the next one even if there are no changes to the venue and time.
Bogle on investing: Diversify, focus on low costs, invest for the long term. Don't speculate and don't be distracted by volatility.
yadbugee

Post by yadbugee »

how do i follow when the next meet will be in/around seattle. We can try a big room in the KCLS library downtown bellevue. Big rooms and enough parking.
2pedals

Post by 2pedals »

Post to follow this thread in my quick links since I may be interested in the Seattle area chapter meetings.
AndroAsc

Post by AndroAsc »

Can we setup like a meetup group (meetup.com)? Would be easier to coordinate there. And the group seems to be inactive/semi-active, until recently (which is a good thing)... are people only interested in meeting up once-twice per year?
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

AndroAsc wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:06 pm Can we setup like a meetup group (meetup.com)? Would be easier to coordinate there. And the group seems to be inactive/semi-active, until recently (which is a good thing)... are people only interested in meeting up once-twice per year?
Hi - we've been meeting every other month for lunch. I've been very busy at work/home recently so the March lunch will likely be skipped and I'll set one up in May.

I haven't setup a meetup group since it's historically been a pretty small group attending the lunches, if that changes and we need more organizational rigor I can try that.

If you (or anyone in the thread) have any suggestions for lunch places that have large tables for groups and good parking on the eastside I'm all ears! I've found one place that meets both requirements so far but would like some variety.
Sage16

Post by Sage16 »

Elsebet wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:26 pm
If you (or anyone in the thread) have any suggestions for lunch places that have large tables for groups and good parking on the eastside I'm all ears! I've found one place that meets both requirements so far but would like some variety.
One thought is the food court at Crossroads Mall on 156th Ave NE in Bellevue. There are lots of options for people to buy their lunch and then sit together. This also avoids the issue of a large group one check. I have been there for group lunches before but it has been years so I don't know how crowded or noisy it gets these days.
xb7

Post by xb7 »

Sage16 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:32 pm One thought is the food court at Crossroads Mall on 156th Ave NE in Bellevue. There are lots of options for people to buy their lunch and then sit together. This also avoids the issue of a large group one check. I have been there for group lunches before but it has been years so I don't know how crowded or noisy it gets these days.
I don't live all that far from Crossroads Mall. At lunchtime proper it can be pretty crowded. I think that if you're willing to start on the early side on a weekday, however --- perhaps meet at 11 am? It could be a good choice. There are some advantages of this approach --- it offers quite a lot of different food options, lots of parking, and you can optionally do other errands in the same trip (QFC (grocery) store just steps away, for example).

I think one general problem with a group like this is that you can't predict how many people will show up for sure, and hence how big of a table you need --- and/or how many tables. In general you just get the early arrivals to stake out a table and maybe a smaller nearby table as well, for potential spill-over. At a food court like in Crossroads, you probably want to just take turns walking away to order food so that you have a couple of people staying there all the time to keep the table reserved.

Since I live on the Eastside I'm obviously biased towards an Eastside meeting place for that reason. But I have to say that "free and easy parking" is a big factor in why I like staying out of Seattle for meetings. If I were to go to Seattle for a Boglehead lunch, I guess I'd take the bus.
yncraig316

Post by yncraig316 »

I would love to attend but I work too far away to make it a lunch. I think if we did meetups after work or happy hours, you'd get greater turnout. Because most people have to be back in 30 minutes and this would allow more people to attend without the time limit.
ZachFinch76

Post by ZachFinch76 »

Hi, I am in the Seattle area and would be interested in attending the next meeting. Are you all planning to meet againt together anytime soon? I am in the Bellevue/Redmond area but I can meet wherever.

Thanks
ZachFinch76

Post by ZachFinch76 »

Hi, another ping -- anyone interesting in doing a Seattle meet?
makeitso

Post by makeitso »

I'm interested. Eastside works best for me.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

The next Seattle Bogleheads lunch meeting will be Friday, June 28 at 11:15am at the Crossroads Bellevue Public Market.
Please RSVP here or to seattlebogleheads@gmail.com before Monday, June 24 so I know roughly how many to expect.

Food choices:
https://crossroadsbellevue.com/directory/dine/

Directions:
https://crossroadsbellevue.com/hours-directions/

Dining Map:
https://crossroadsbellevue.com/directory/dine/map

I will be in front of the Starbucks on the map above until 11:15am then we will go get a table. I will have a small Bogleheads sign with me so don't be shy! I'll also put the bogleheads sign on our table if you arrive later, will try to rig something tall so it stands out. Feel free to email seattlebogleheads@gmail.com or PM me here for any questions/issues.

June's topic will be one I see often brought up here: Pros and cons of giving financial advice to non-Bogleheads in our lives.

emanuel_v19

Post by emanuel_v19 »

Hello,

I am planning to move to Seattle from the Bay Area sometime in July/August, and I hope I am able to attend a meeting or 2! I've made it to one here in San Jose, but I'm hoping to make it a habit of attending more than once, once I move North. Exciting!
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

Bump for this Friday!
Elsebet wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 3:58 pm The next Seattle Bogleheads lunch meeting will be Friday, June 28 at 11:15am at the Crossroads Bellevue Public Market.
Please RSVP here or to seattlebogleheads@gmail.com before Monday, June 24 so I know roughly how many to expect.

Food choices:

Directions:

Dining Map:

I will be in front of the Starbucks on the map above until 11:15am then we will go get a table. I will have a small Bogleheads sign with me so don't be shy! I'll also put the bogleheads sign on our table if you arrive later, will try to rig something tall so it stands out. Feel free to email seattlebogleheads@gmail.com or PM me here for any questions/issues.

June's topic will be one I see often brought up here: Pros and cons of giving financial advice to non-Bogleheads in our lives.

Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

Thank you to everyone who came out to the Crossroads mall, we had a few new faces and some veterans also!

One of the new faces was our own Paul Merriman! Thank you so much Paul for coming out, we really enjoyed meeting and learning from you.

Let me know how you liked meeting at Crossroads mall. I liked the broader food selection and it seemed a little less busy/loud, but I missed having a nice tall glass of hard cider with lunch. :)

Next meetup will probably be in September!
ZachFinch76

Post by ZachFinch76 »

Oh! I missed it! I will definitely make the next one in September
edgeagg

Post by edgeagg »

+1. Vote for the Eastside though :-).
evestor

Post by evestor »

Looking forward to the next meeting!
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

Sorry all work has been crazy and like Danerys I "kinda forgot" about the meetups!

The next Seattle Bogleheads lunch meeting will be Friday, November 15 at 11:15am at the Crossroads Bellevue Public Market.
Please RSVP here or to seattlebogleheads@gmail.com before Monday, Nov 11 so I know roughly how many to expect.

Food choices:

Directions:

Dining Map:

November's topic is one Martin suggested a few months ago: Cash Management - do you use your bank account, brokerage account, a combination, etc?

amiller7x7

Post by amiller7x7 »

Elsebet
Thanks for setting up this Seattle meeting. Unfortunately I will be out of town (yet again) and so won’t be able to attend.
Thx
Al M.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

Elsebet wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:44 pm The next Seattle Bogleheads lunch meeting will be Friday, November 15 at 11:15am at the Crossroads Bellevue Public Market.
Please RSVP here or to seattlebogleheads@gmail.com before Monday, Nov 11 so I know roughly how many to expect.

Food choices:

Directions:

Dining Map:

November's topic is one Martin suggested a few months ago: Cash Management - do you use your bank account, brokerage account, a combination, etc?

Looking forward to seeing folks this Friday!
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

I just want to thank everyone who turned out yesterday for the lunch at Crossroads Bellevue. It was a big group with a lot of new faces and some vets! We had a great conversation about cash management accounts, taxes, the Bogleheads 2019 conference, and more! I always come away from these meetings energized and appreciative of all the knowledge fellow Bogleheads are eager to share. We'll have another lunch meeting in January, looking forward to it! If you have discussion ideas please let me know.
xb7

Post by xb7 »

Elsebet wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:33 pm I just want to thank everyone who turned out yesterday for the lunch at Crossroads Bellevue. It was a big group with a lot of new faces and some vets! We had a great conversation about cash management accounts, taxes, the Bogleheads 2019 conference, and more! I always come away from these meetings energized and appreciative of all the knowledge fellow Bogleheads are eager to share. We'll have another lunch meeting in January, looking forward to it! If you have discussion ideas please let me know.
Thanks for organizing this, it was great fun!

For discussion topic ideas ... some topics are a bit limited to different age demographics, like social security & medicare, or at the other end of the spectrum, "just starting out" stuff. One area that might be interesting is just how different people approach travel issues, perhaps with an emphasis on local specifics --- like taking a sleeper car on Amtrak from Seattle, cruise lines out of Seattle (or Vancouver), preferred Seatac-based airlines for different kinds of trips, a good service to watch your cat at home while you're gone, other issues for extended trips, etc etc ... and of course, how to travel well without overspending.

Anyway, thanks!
valueashram

Post by valueashram »

Is there a December meetup in the works?
WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima »

The food at food court of market place was awful and expensive. next meet should happened in McDonald, happy meal is much more boglehead.
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

When is the next one?
Global stocks, IG/HY bonds, gold & digital assets at market weights 75% / 19% / 6% || LMP: TIPS ladder
xb7

Post by xb7 »

WhiteMaxima wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:49 pm The food at food court of market place was awful and expensive. next meet should happened in McDonald, happy meal is much more boglehead.
Interesting how perspectives vary.

I live not too-o far from there and have eaten at the food court a lot over the years; the food has never been "awful". It's a food court, so a whole lot of little individual places to choose from. I'd be interested to know which one you didn't like?

Are you serious about McDonald's as a meeting venue?!?
Sage16

Post by Sage16 »

WhiteMaxima wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:49 pm The food at food court of market place was awful and expensive. next meet should happened in McDonald, happy meal is much more boglehead.
I like that the food court provides a lot of different options for lunch and there is room for our group to meet. An option is to stop at the drive thru at McDonalds on the way to the meeting so you can still have that for lunch.
WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima »

Compare to restaurant food, the food court food is substandard due to the kitchen setup. And it is price because more % of your bill is paying to the rent of the market place. Next time I will bring McDonald to meet with your guys.