New Orange County, CA Local Chapter established

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
Clixt

New Orange County, CA Local Chapter established

Post by Clixt »

Hey guys, long time lurker here, but I've had my fair share of investing since I was 18. Anyways, is there an OC chapter here? I saw that there are few people trying to revive the LA chapter.
charis23

Re: Orange County, CA chapter?

Post by charis23 »

Reviving this old thread. It doesn't look like there is an orange county chapter yet. If there are enough folks interested, I'd love to start a local chapter in the OC area.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

If you get five or more Bogleheads who express an interest in getting an Orange County Local Chapter going and one of you agrees to be the Local Chapter Coordinator, I'll get you up and running. Just PM me if you're interested.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

I'm in
JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald »

Where in Orange County would you like to meet?
Best Wishes, | Joe
charis23

Post by charis23 »

I'm open for suggestions on potential locations. taking a quick look at where the other local chapters meet it looks like generally folks are meeting at restaurants, food courts or libraries. I think if we get enough folks, we can try to choose a central location.

I'm located in Irvine.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

also Irvine.

hey Mel: do new chapters get a BogleHead? :D
garyinca

Post by garyinca »

I would like to be an OC member and participate in discussions. I live in Costa Mesa.
JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald »

charis23 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:01 pm I'm open for suggestions on potential locations. taking a quick look at where the other local chapters meet it looks like generally folks are meeting at restaurants, food courts or libraries. I think if we get enough folks, we can try to choose a central location.

I'm located in Irvine.
A food court at a mall would work as there is parking, seating, and cheap eats for a group. Irvine, Costa Mesa, Huntington Beach area would work. Suggestions needed for a food court as I don't know the malls in OC.
Best Wishes, | Joe
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Big Dog wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:05 pm also Irvine.

hey Mel: do new chapters get a BogleHead? :D
You probably mean a "Bogle Bobblehead". The answer is "You gotta be kidding, but it was worth a try anyway!".
:sharebeer
kinless

Post by kinless »

Just adding to the local roll call. Would like to join in on an OC chapter if one was ever formed. I’m not far from Irvine or Costa Mesa so anywhere that meets in Central OC works well. There’s a number of newer establishments in the Tustin Legacy area that could be used for a meet as well.
TLB

Post by TLB »

If I could come from Riverside, I'm in.
sigmadave_2000

Post by sigmadave_2000 »

I'm in Huntington Beach. Not sure what a Boglehads chapter does, but sounds like it might be interesting. I have avoided going to the ones on meetup dot com because they seem to be run by people selling something or looking for clients.
LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur »

I would like this.
Ependytis

Post by Ependytis »

I would be interested in an orange county chapter. I live in Lake Forest and work in Irvine.
entropy2017

Post by entropy2017 »

Another Lake Forest resident here who is interested. Looks like we are getting a critical mass.
cp73

Post by cp73 »

I will attend also. I have occasionally been going to the group in San Diego. I live in Laguna Hills and would much prefer to get a group going in OC. 8-) :moneybag :moneybag :moneybag
david

Post by david »

I'd consider attending, work depending of course.
penumbra

Post by penumbra »

I’d be interested if the meeting were held near or south of the “Y”. 😉
Gretzky

Post by Gretzky »

Interested as well, and located in Aliso Viejo
shelanman

Post by shelanman »

I'm not really sure what a local chapter does, but the idea sounds cool to me.
kinless

Post by kinless »

Well, we definitely have enough local OC Bogleheads to get this off the ground, just since I chimed in a few weeks ago.

What we need next is a volunteer to be the Chapter Coordinator. All this consists of is setting up meeting times, dates, and places. Preferably someone who knows appropriate establishments where a larger group (6-12 members) can convene. Doesn't have to be the same place every time, but the Irvine area probably works best as far as general proximity. Anyone interested in spearheading such an endeavor?
shelanman wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:49 pm I'm not really sure what a local chapter does, but the idea sounds cool to me.
Pretty much just getting together to talk about personal finance, investing advice, or just stimulating conversation with those who share similar financial philosophies.
npr

Post by npr »

I live in Lake Forest. Would love to join OC Chapter.
sschullo

Post by sschullo »

JMacDonald wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:37 am
charis23 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:01 pm I'm open for suggestions on potential locations. taking a quick look at where the other local chapters meet it looks like generally folks are meeting at restaurants, food courts or libraries. I think if we get enough folks, we can try to choose a central location.

I'm located in Irvine.
A food court at a mall would work as there is parking, seating, and cheap eats for a group. Irvine, Costa Mesa, Huntington Beach area would work. Suggestions needed for a food court as I don't know the malls in OC.
Joe,
Let's talk about this. I think we are the only ones who have previous experience.

Steve
Never in the history of market day-traders’ has the obsession with so much massive, sophisticated, & powerful statistical machinery used by the brightest people on earth with such useless results.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

Count me in. (Irvine but can meet anywhere)
Ependytis

Post by Ependytis »

For a meeting place, I have access to a golf course meeting room in Irvine. Feel free to contact me.
xenochrony

Post by xenochrony »

Currently in Irvine, live S. of Irvine. Potentially interested. :happy
bacninh789

Post by bacninh789 »

I am another (North) Irvine resident interested in joining.

I just retired couple months ago, so have time to look for a meeting place with easy parking and access to reasonable-priced foods for lunch or whatever. How many people do we think the meeting place needs to accommodate (for now and future)?
trexdaddy

Post by trexdaddy »

i'm in!!
From Irvine.
trexdaddy

Post by trexdaddy »

how should we grouped up? via this forum? Fb group? messager? meetup.com?
npr

Post by npr »

Meeting information via this forum.
Qmann

Post by Qmann »

I’m from Riverside, but I’m in.
tj

Post by tj »

If I move back to OC, I'm in.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Mel Lindauer wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:34 pm If you get five or more Bogleheads who express an interest in getting an Orange County Local Chapter going and one of you agrees to be the Local Chapter Coordinator, I'll get you up and running. Just PM me if you're interested.
Here's my earlier post. Still waiting for a volunteer coordinator to PM me to make your group.official.
ellink

Post by ellink »

I'm in LA but interested if the meeting is held on a weekend.
Young Boglehead

Post by Young Boglehead »

How about the 5 lagunas for the first meetup? :P
ocdaniel

Post by ocdaniel »

I'd be interested as well! I didn't see anyone volunteer to coordinate yet, but I can give it a shot
donaldc

Post by donaldc »

Me too. Newport Beach.
Mel Lindauer

Re: Nre Orange County, CA chapter establisjed

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Great news! It's official!

ocdaniel has stepped up and agreed to be the new Orange County Local Chapter Coordinator.

The new Chapter email is:
OCBogleheads@gmail.com.

You can use this sub-forum to communicate with each other about meeting dates, times, location, agenda, etc.

Good luck to our newest Local Chapter!
Barry Barnitz
Wiki Admin

Re: New Orange County, CA Local Chapter established

Post by Barry Barnitz »

Hi:

We have added your chapter to our affiliate blog. Here are the links:
regards,
Additional administrative tasks: Financial Page bogleheads.org. blog; finiki the Canadian wiki; The Bogle Center for Financial Literacy site; La Guía Bogleheads® España site.
ocdaniel

Post by ocdaniel »

Hi all - let's see if we can get this to work :) I'd like to make a proposal of how we make this happen, but I welcome all input

Location: based on the posts, it looks like Irvine would be central to both south county and north county so I would propose we target that area.

Venue: most community indoor locations cost $s to rent (I checked Tustin/Irvine/Lake Forest), but it looks like the Irvine Ranch Water District (IRWD) has free meeting rooms https://www.irwd.com/community/meeting- ... nformation subject to some requirements. The rooms are quite popular so we would have less flexibility of when we could book it, but on the plus side it's free! If anyone else has meeting venue suggestions, please suggest

Time: I looked through some of the other chapters logs, and it looks like it's a toss up between weekday evening and weekend daytime meeting times. What does the group think? I put together this doodle to solicit some input here on what works for people - https://doodle.com/poll/3bknrsicr52dsgy4

Agenda: I propose we take it easy and do casual intros and discuss what people are looking for in the chapter, and maybe ideas for future meeting topics.

What do you all think?
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

I'm flexible and could meet anytime, anywhere.
JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald »

How about Panera Bread in Irvine:
https://locations.panerabread.com/ca/ir ... cal-search
I haven't been to that location; but at other Panera Bread's, I have seen groups of people meeting for various activities.
It has the advantage of a variety of food and drinks if anyone wants to have something at the meeting.
See what you think. :D
Best Wishes, | Joe
bacninh789

Post by bacninh789 »

I am available for meeting anytime (weekdays or weekends) except for occasional classes that I attend, which right now are Sunday mornings and Tuesday evenings.

In regard to locations, the IRWD meeting room is excellent if we can get it. My wife's Toastmasters group has used it before. The room is very nice and spacious, and there are plenty of parking spaces. The drawback is you have to bring your own foods as it is an office building. There is a kitchen attached to the room, though.

The Panera Bread location on Barranca is tight for parking because there are many businesses around it. Also, it would be quite open (a table surrounded by other tables and booths, I think), not sure if it is suitable to group discussions.

The Knowlwood Burger place on Sand Canyon has a private room that can be booked free of charge with the manager. The room can only hold up to 13 people though. Parking is ok depends on the time, weekends could be a little crowded at times.

Thanks
black

Post by black »

I'm from Lake Forest. Sounds interesting. I'm in.
TLB

Post by TLB »

Big Dog wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:47 pm I'm flexible and could meet anytime, anywhere.
+1
npr

Post by npr »

Time: Weekend morning
ocdaniel

Post by ocdaniel »

It looks like Thursday evening and Saturday morning currently have the most # of votes via the doodle voting/polling tool and npr's response below.

The IRWD meeting rooms are unfortunately booked at those times for aug/sep. I can visit Knowlwood this week (thanks bacninh789 for the tip) to check it out as well as check on procedure for booking it / availability. I think it's potentially a good mix of having food nearby and having a semi-private space to chat.
donaldc

Post by donaldc »

+1. Weekend morning
ocdaniel

Post by ocdaniel »

It looks like Saturday morning is the current winner (6 votes), poll results here https://doodle.com/poll/3bknrsicr52dsgy4

I checked out Knowlwood on Friday and the room is decent sized and semi-private (no door), it had one big table with 8 chairs but staff said it would fit up to 12. They are booked September 14th but are otherwise open on Saturdays in September.

I propose the following:
When: Saturday Sep 21st 9:00am
Where: Knowlwood restaurant, Irvine, CA (Sand Canyon & the 5); Tool Room
Agenda: Intros, What are people looking for in a local chapter, Ideas for future meeting topics, Q&A

Sound ok?