New Orange County, CA Local Chapter established

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Big Dog

Re: New Orange County, CA Local Chapter established

Post by Big Dog »

count me in.
TLB

Post by TLB »

Sounds great
donaldc

Post by donaldc »

I'll be there. Thanks for arranging everything.
Lablover0505

Post by Lablover0505 »

I am interested in attending as well. How can I offically RSVP?
travellight

Post by travellight »

I will attend if I am in the area.
npr

Post by npr »

I will attend if I am in the area.
kinless

Post by kinless »

Right near the Fall Equinox too. How perfect :D

Will attend...
bacninh789

Post by bacninh789 »

Will attend...Thank You.
BlueNikki

Post by BlueNikki »

Planning to attend. Thank you for arranging this first meeting :happy
ocdaniel

Post by ocdaniel »

Ok - so we're on! Reservation confirmed for Sat Sep 21st 9am.

re: RSVP There's no need to formally RSVP, but if you want to email a quick note to OCBogleheads@gmail.com I'll keep an attendee list in case there are any last minute changes that need to be communicated out. I'll also post any updates here to this forum topic, so email is optional.

Thanks and I look forward to meeting soon!
dontlikebeinganeng

Post by dontlikebeinganeng »

Sent email to OCBogleheads@gmail.com.
jhawktx

Post by jhawktx »

Interested. Newport Beach.
jhawktx

Post by jhawktx »

Interested. Newport Beach.
black

Post by black »

Looks great. Thank you for arranging the meeting
rsc601

Post by rsc601 »

Confirming that this meeting is still happening?

This is the information I see from ocdaniel but haven't seen any posts in awhile.

When: Saturday Sep 21st 9:00am
Where: Knowlwood restaurant, Irvine, CA (Sand Canyon & the 5); Tool Room
Agenda: Intros, What are people looking for in a local chapter, Ideas for future meeting topics, Q&A
TLB

Post by TLB »

rsc601 wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:38 pm Confirming that this meeting is still happening?

This is the information I see from ocdaniel but haven't seen any posts in awhile.

When: Saturday Sep 21st 9:00am
Where: Knowlwood restaurant, Irvine, CA (Sand Canyon & the 5); Tool Room
Agenda: Intros, What are people looking for in a local chapter, Ideas for future meeting topics, Q&A
I planned for it
ocdaniel

Post by ocdaniel »

Hi all - I'm just confirming we're still on for our first meeting this Saturday 9am. It's unlikely, but in the event we have 100% attendance off of the RSVP list then we won't fit in the Tool room (max capacity 12), but I just called and they said if that happens we can be moved to another set of tables. I plan on getting there a few minutes early to put in a breakfast order.

If you have any questions - please email ocbogleheads@gmail.com and I can followup directly with you there. Thanks!
sschullo

Post by sschullo »

How did it go?
Never in the history of market day-traders’ has the obsession with so much massive, sophisticated, & powerful statistical machinery used by the brightest people on earth with such useless results.
ocdaniel

Post by ocdaniel »

We had a great turnout on Saturday - thanks to all who attended! We had 15 people total, so we actually ran out of room and had to move to the outside patio. The group had a wide range of experiences and comfort with financial topics, with good representation from both those earlier and later in their journey. We discussed the following:

Tentative orange county chapter meeting logistics
  • Meeting once a quarter
  • Venue preferably indoors / meeting room
  • No chapter website needed - a google doc will be sufficient for now
  • General meeting agenda - one topic / presenter followed by general discussion and Q&A
What people are interested in / potential topics for future discussion
  • Local knowledge / references (eg. accountants, lawyers, health professionals, etc.)
  • Moving from cash to investing - lump sum vs dollar cost averaging (DCA)
  • 529 usage
  • Retirement - tax considerations re: distributions / contributions
  • Long-term disability insurance (LTD) / other ways to protect against health risks
  • Health Savings Accounts (HSA)
  • Trusts/estate planning - trusts vs joint accounts vs community accounts
Next steps
  • Setting up a google doc to record topics discussed, as well as solicit proposed topics / Q&A for the next meeting
  • Sending out a poll for the next meeting date (sometime in January) as well as preference on topics to be covered
  • Getting a formal email distribution list started
ocdaniel

Post by ocdaniel »

Hi OCBogleheads,

Thanks again for making our first meeting a success!

If you're interested, please mark your availability for our next meeting in January via the following Google Form. The two most popular dates/times people were available from our last poll were Thu evening and Sat morning, so I've narrowed the selection to those times.

If you'd like to be a presenter or suggest topics for us to discuss, please email OCBogleheads@gmail.com.

Thanks!
ocdaniel

Post by ocdaniel »

Hi all - I know it's been a while, but Thu Jan 9 won with 10 votes, followed by Thu Jan 16 with 8 votes. The IRWD recently opened up their 2020 calendar, so I was able to reserve us a room there for our next meeting. Our January 2020 Orange County Bogleheads meeting has been scheduled for the following, please mark it in your calendars!

Date: Thursday Jan 9, 7:30pm
Agenda: we'll start with 2-3 topics requested at the last meeting. We invite any attendees with experience on the following to speak for a few minutes on their own stories / learnings, followed by Q&A. Let me know if you'd be interested in speaking
  • Moving from cash to investing - lump sum vs dollar cost averaging (DCA)
  • 529 usage
  • Retirement - tax considerations re: distributions / contributions
  • Long-term disability insurance (LTD) / other ways to protect against health risks
  • Health Savings Accounts (HSA)
  • Trusts/estate planning - trusts vs joint accounts vs community accounts
There is a map the IRWD has asked me to distribute to attendees, so please email OCBogleheads@gmail.com so I can send you a copy.

Thanks,
Daniel
ocdaniel

Post by ocdaniel »

Hi all - I hope everyone is having a great start for 2020. Just a reminder, the Orange County, CA bogleheads chapter will be having its next meeting this Thursday Jan 9th at 7:30pm at the IRWD Duck Club in Irvine. We look forward to seeing you there!
black

Post by black »

Hi Daniel,

Happy New Year. Do we need to make an RSVP for the meeting?

Thanks
ocdaniel

Post by ocdaniel »

No RSVP needed. Happy New Year to you too, and we hope to see you tonight!
carminered2019

Post by carminered2019 »

when is the next one, I am from Corona ?

Tom
npr

Post by npr »

I didn't even know there was a meeting today. So missed it.

When is the next one?
hbdad

Post by hbdad »

I live in OC and want to go. When and where is next mtg?
ocdaniel

Post by ocdaniel »

Thanks everyone for attending. We had around 15 people again, with both new faces with returning folks from our first kickoff meeting as well as a good mix of beginners and more experienced people. I think we have enough interest to keep on going!

I've submitted requests with the IRWD to reserve meeting rooms for the following dates / times. I'll confirm location once they are reserved.
Thu Apr 9th 7:30pm
Sat Jul 18th 9:30am

In terms of agenda for our next meeting, Joe kindly offered to give a short talk on diversification. There was continued interest in Q&A so we'll continue to reserve most of the time for an open roundtable discussion.

For anyone interested in attending, please email OCBogleheads@gmail.com and I can add you to the email list for meeting reminders / updates.

Thanks,
Daniel
ChiKid24

Post by ChiKid24 »

Hey all. Just joined the group. Sorry I was unable to meet you all in person last week. We've got two little ones at home so it's tough to get away.

It sounds like you guys have discussed area networking / useful connections in your meetings. Was curious if tax advisors came up? I'm new to the OC and have always done my own taxes, but after reading a number of threads on the Bogleheads forum I think it would be worth the cost to work with a good professional who not only can help prepare my annual returns, but also help me think through some of the tax strategies and planning tips that are often discussed.

Appreciate any help or names of people local bogleheads have used.
ocdaniel

Post by ocdaniel »

Hi all - we are confirmed for the following:

Thu Apr 9th 7:30pm, @ Irvine Ranch Water District (IRWD) Duck Club, Irvine
Sat Jul 18th 9:30am, @ Irvine Ranch Water District (IRWD) Community Meeting Room, Irvine

We are rotating between Thu evening and Sat morning as those had the highest votes in past polls. Please note the two meetings are at two different IRWD meeting rooms. The IRWD Duck Club can be hard to navigate to, so if you plan on attending email OCBogleheads@gmail.com and I can provide a map to the location.

Also, please see the following from IRWD:
“The Irvine Ranch Water District neither supports nor endorses the cause or activities of organizations which use the District’s facilities. The facilities are made available as a public service.”

Separately, ChiKid24 I'll PM you re: tax advisors. Most of the group was looking for good referrals, unfortunately no one had a strong one to offer

Thanks and we hope to see you at the next meeting!

Best,
Daniel
shelanman

Post by shelanman »

Daniel, thanks for setting this up! See everybody in April
ocdaniel

Post by ocdaniel »

Hi all,

I hope you're all staying safe and healthy. IRWD has closed their meeting rooms to the public, and the Orange County Department of Health has also advised against public and private gatherings, so we will be not holding an in person meeting in April. Instead we will do a virtual meeting - if you're not already on the email distribution list, please email OCBogleheads@gmail.com if you'd like the web conference details.

Let me know if you have any questions in the meanwhile.

Thanks,
Daniel
ocdaniel

Post by ocdaniel »

Hi all,

I hope you're all continuing to stay safe and healthy. IRWD continues to close their meeting rooms to the public, so our Sat July 18th 9:30am meeting will be virtual.

I'm excited to share that to start us off we will host a guest Gail Cox, Board Member from The John C. Bogle Center for Financial Literacy, to discuss the following:
  • 2020 Bogleheads Conference info (virtual)
  • 2021 Bogleheads Conference planning
  • Intro to the new Board of the John C. Bogle Center for Financial Literacy
  • Input from Orange County Bogleheads Chapter - What would we like to see at the conference? What financial blogs / podcasts do we follow?
In terms of our own internal discussion topics, let me know if there are questions or topics that you'd like to discuss and I can help make sure they get addressed. As usual, we'll reserve most of the time for a general roundtable / Q&A for us to have live discussion on what's top of mind for you all.

I will send out meeting invite details via email closer to the event date. Please email OCBogleheads@gmail.com if you'd like to be included.

Thanks!
Daniel
shelanman

Post by shelanman »

Daniel,

Thanks for continuing to organize these. I'll see everybody bright and early on Saturday! I was really hoping that by this meeting, we'd be able to be in person again, but I'm looking forward to catching up with everyone.
ocdaniel

Post by ocdaniel »

Thanks shelanman! We are still scheduled for this Saturday 9:30am PT, albeit virtually :)

For all those on the group distribution list, I've just shared out the virtual meeting details via email. I look forward to catching up with you all again.
ocdaniel

Post by ocdaniel »

Thanks everyone for attending our July virtual meeting - we had a chance to meet Gail Cox from the Bogle Center and learn about their conference planning process, as well as provide some input. About a dozen people were able to join, and it was good to see some familiar faces. With the virtual format we had our first LA person :)

It looks like the Bogle Center will make an announcement re: the 2020 Bogleheads Conference around Labor Day, so in the meanwhile let's set our October meeting day / time so we have one on the calendar. Our next meeting will be virtual on Thursday October 22, 7:30pm PT. The agenda will be to debrief over the 2020 Bogleheads Conference and share our collective learnings / experiences etc, as well as our usual open format Q&A.

Please email me if you're new and would like to join, and I can get you the virtual meeting info.

Thanks!
Daniel
sil2017

Post by sil2017 »

I am interested in the October meeting. Please include me.

Thanks for organizing this.
ocdaniel

Post by ocdaniel »

Hi all - as a reminder the next Orange County Bogleheads meeting is next Thursday Oct 22nd at 7:30pm.

There was an announcement earlier that the 2020 Bogleheads Conference was cancelled (see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=326374), so instead of our lead topic being a debrief over the conference, if people are interested we could start with a short discussion of the latest Bogleheads podcast? A link to the podcast can be found at https://www.bogleheads.org/blog/2020/10 ... rick-ferri. We can do our usual open forum Q&A afterwards.

For all those on the email list, I'll send out the virtual meeting invite details next week.

Thanks,
Daniel
ocdaniel

Post by ocdaniel »

Happy new year everyone, and I hope you all enjoyed the holidays. Thanks everyone for attending our October virtual meeting - it was good to see everyone and we had a good discussion about the latest Bogleheads Center podcast.

Our next virtual meeting will be on Sat Jan 23rd, 9:30amPT. To start the conversation, we can discuss the next event in the Bogleheads Speaker Series, which is this coming weekend Sat 1/9 10amPT/1pmET featuring Vanguard's global chief economist as well as the head of US wealth planning research; link to forum post here viewtopic.php?f=10&t=333116&newpost=5713048. I unfortunately won't be able to join, but I look forward to watching the recorded event after.

Afterwards, we can hold our standard round table for attendees to have Q&A as well as share our collective learnings / experiences etc.

I'll send out virtual meeting info the week of the event. In the meanwhile, please email OCBogleheads@gmail.com if you're new and would like to join, and I'll add you to the distribution list.

Thanks!
Daniel
sschullo

Post by sschullo »

Happy New Year Daniel
I'll be there.
Thanks for doing this.
Steve
Never in the history of market day-traders’ has the obsession with so much massive, sophisticated, & powerful statistical machinery used by the brightest people on earth with such useless results.
ocdaniel

Post by ocdaniel »

Hi Orange County Bogleheads,

As a reminder we have our next meeting this Saturday at 9:30am. We'll start with a short discussion of the recent Bogleheads Speaker Series chat featuring Vanguard's global chief economist as well as the head of US wealth planning research, followed by our usual open forum Q&A afterwards.

Please email OCBogleheads@gmail.com if you're new and I can send you the web meeting info.

I hope to see you on Saturday!

Thanks,
Daniel
shelanman

Post by shelanman »

It was fun catching up with everyone again!

I had to vanish before the q&a was over, did we pick a date and time for our next meeting?
socalindex

Post by socalindex »

Where do you all usually meet? Im in north OC
ocdaniel

Post by ocdaniel »

Hi Orange County (and other nearby) Bogleheads - 

Our next virtual meeting will be on Thu May 6th, 7:30pmPT. To start the conversation, we can discuss the latest Bogle Center sponsored podcast. Link to forum post here and link to the podcast here.
Podcast details -
Episode 032: Phil DeMuth, host Rick Ferri.Talking taxes with Phil Demuth, Ph.D. Phil is a Managing Director at Conservative Wealth Management, LLC, and the author of nine personal finance books, most co-authored with his pal, economist Ben Stein.

This seems very timely given where we are in the year! Afterwards, we can hold our standard roundtable for attendees to have Q&A as well as share our collective learnings / experiences etc. The virtual life stage chapters are also starting up, so I can update those of you unaware of them. Link to forum post here

I'll send out virtual meeting info the week of the event. In the meanwhile, please email OCBogleheads@gmail.com if you're new and would like to join, and I'll add you to the distribution list.

Thanks!
Daniel
ocdaniel

Post by ocdaniel »

socalindex wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:50 pm Where do you all usually meet? Im in north OC
Pre-covid we met in the Irvine area, but community rooms are unable to be booked until further notice. For now we are virtual!
ocdaniel

Post by ocdaniel »

Hi Orange County Bogleheads,

As a reminder we have our next meeting this Thursday May 6 at 7:30pm PT.

We'll start with a chat around episode 32 from the Bogle Center sponsored podcast series (taxes, yay!) followed by our usual roundtable of Q&A for whatever is top of mind / of interest to people.

Please email OCbogleheads@gmail.com for meeting details if interested.

Thanks,
Daniel
sgaldamez2

Post by sgaldamez2 »

New members here from the Huntington Beach area. I would love to join the next meeting!
tesuzuki2002

Post by tesuzuki2002 »

Hello... I'm new to the Lake forest area where can I find more details about meeting / gatherings?

cheers!
Insomattack

Post by Insomattack »

I’m near Laguna Beach. I’d love to join. Emailed to see if virtual mtgs still on. Thanks!
ChiKid24

Post by ChiKid24 »

Hey all. Anyone in this group have a recommendation for a post-death lawyer to guide us through the estate process? My wife's mother passed this weekend and I've been asked to research options. She has a mid-6 figure estate and had a trust and will created many years ago with her two daughters (my wife and her sister) as trustees and executors, though both have since married and changed their last names.

Her assets are basically located in a savings account at one bank and a checking account at another. No investments, no real estate. She was self-employed though not earning much near the end. She was receiving SS/Disability due to her condition (terminal cancer).

I think this should be relatively simple given the limited complexity, so don't want to pay thousands in legal fees for an estate that isn't super big. Most immediately her daughters want to figure out how to pay some of her final expenses (funeral services, doctors bills, rent, car lease). They both had POA and access to her accounts pre-death (POA terminates at death). They were doing her finances for her as her health deteriorated. They could easily continue paying from those accounts and/or their mother's credit card. I've advised them not to do that, but rather to front the costs out of their own money and seek recovery once things are wrapped up.

Would be great for a recommendation if anyone in the OC has gone through this recently.

Thanks in advance!