Tampa Bay Local Bogleheads Chapter

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
tampaite

Re: Tampa Bay Local Bogleheads Chapter

Post by tampaite »

Deleting my messages on this forum
Last edited by tampaite on Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

tampaite wrote:Happy weekend all!

We have about 5 people join the google group(including myself). What is the minimum group membership to have before we meet? 10 maybe?
There is no real minimum; that's entirely up to the members. Five is the minimum number to establish a Local Chapter, but after that, the individual Local Chapter members determine what works for them. I've actually enjoyed meeting with a single Bogleheads one-on-one, so whatever works for you.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
Topic Author
tampaite

Post by tampaite »

Last edited by tampaite on Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
tampaite

Post by tampaite »

Fat-Tailed Contagion

Post by Fat-Tailed Contagion »

tampaite wrote:Looks like Panera Bread is ideal location for most of us.

Meeting Date: Feb 28th, 2016
Meeting Time: 4PM EST
Meeting Location Address: 18011 Highwoods Preserve Pkwy, Tampa, FL 33647

Panera Bread is located near Muvico theater on Bruce B Downs Blvd.

Reminder if you'd like to join the group, goto this page and sign up https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/tampabogleheads
Thanks! I will just miss this meeting as I am out of town.

I am a member of the Google Group, how do I set it to send me an e-mail whenever someone posts something in it ?
“The intelligent investor is a realist who sells to optimists and buys from pessimists.” | ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor (75/25 - 50/50 - 25/75)
Topic Author
tampaite

Post by tampaite »

Topic Author
tampaite

Post by tampaite »

missionalan

Post by missionalan »

Just sent my "application" to become a part of this group. Live in Riverview.
Topic Author
tampaite

Post by tampaite »

Last edited by tampaite on Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
missionalan

Post by missionalan »

tampaite wrote:
missionalan wrote:Just sent my "application" to become a part of this group. Live in Riverview.
Hello.

I haven't received your sign up email. Can you PM me your email or send a request to the google group link?

Thanks.
Just sent you a message.
flasrf

Post by flasrf »

Prav,

I posted to the google groups. Perhaps disable admin review of posts to Google groups to allow for members to see posts more quickly. In SRQ and am interested in meeting sometime this summer.

Brett
Topic Author
tampaite

Post by tampaite »

Last edited by tampaite on Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
tampaite

Post by tampaite »

Last edited by tampaite on Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
missionalan

Post by missionalan »

See you then,
Topic Author
tampaite

Post by tampaite »

Last edited by tampaite on Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
missionalan

Post by missionalan »

Yep. Good meeting everyone and learning. Looking forward to the next one.
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

Likewise nice meeting you all. Hopefully more Tampa Bay "lurkers" will get actively involved with our local chapter!
Retired 2018 | currently ~64/33/3 (partially sliced and diced, with a slowly rising equity glide path)
Topic Author
tampaite

Post by tampaite »

Last edited by tampaite on Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
missionalan

Post by missionalan »

I'm down for another meeting. Enjoyed the last one. Maybe a book to discuss?
SailingAway

Post by SailingAway »

Hi,
Back in the Tampa Area, Wesley Chapel exactly, is the chapter still meeting? If so, details?

Thanks,
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

There hasn't been any activity since June 2016, but I'd certainly participate if we can get it going again.
Retired 2018 | currently ~64/33/3 (partially sliced and diced, with a slowly rising equity glide path)
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

Just got back from my attending my second Bogleheads conference, and had a wonderful time. There were some Tampa Bay area members on the attendee list, but, as luck would have it, the only one I ran into just relocated! Regardless, I'm assuming we'd have enough local interest to reactivate the Tampa Bay chapter. Being newly retired, I'm happy to help get things going again. If interested, please reply, or PM me.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

Suggestion (pretty obvious, so forgive me if you have already done so):

List your group with meetup.com if you want to attract interested people.

That goes for Tampa, SW FL and all others.
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

protagonist wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:44 am Suggestion (pretty obvious, so forgive me if you have already done so):

Actually, I run a Meetup group for our local Audiophile club. However, Bogleheads are a niche group, and I think it's best to keep membership tied directly to this forum (also preserving some degree of anonymity for those so inclined). Also, Meetup fees are $180/yr (for the Organizer), despite declining service and an ill-conceived website redesign this past year. Another member here previously set up a Tampa Bogleheads Google Group (in 2015), but it apparently never took off. Doesn't appear that he's still active on this board, but perhaps he'll chime in!
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

sleepysurf wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:03 pm
protagonist wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:44 am Suggestion (pretty obvious, so forgive me if you have already done so):

Actually, I run a Meetup group for our local Audiophile club. However, Bogleheads are a niche group, and I think it's best to keep membership tied directly to this forum (also preserving some degree of anonymity for those so inclined). Also, Meetup fees are $180/yr (for the Organizer), despite declining service and an ill-conceived website redesign this past year. Another member here previously set up a Tampa Bogleheads Google Group (in 2015), but it apparently never took off. Doesn't appear that he's still active on this board, but perhaps he'll chime in!
All good arguments.
G0RD0

Post by G0RD0 »

What's up guys. I'm interested in getting something going in Tampa. Keep me posted on any upcoming events. Thanks
Gordo
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

Folks,

Tampaite and myself are hoping to jump-start the Tampa Bay Bogleheads chapter. He created a Google email group in 2016 to help organize local meetings, of which we had two, but none since. Given the continued growth of the Bogleheads, there ought to be a sufficient number of Tampa Bay members now to support semi-annual meetings (if not more).

However, the old Google email group is outdated, and there are now better communication resources available. Towards that end, we’re migrating to a new email group (still PRIVATE and RESTRICTED) at Groups.io, which is free, and offers more resources, but still some degree of anonymity (for those preferring such). The old Google group will then be deleted.

If you wish to remain active with the Tampa Bay Bogleheads, please sign up at… https://groups.io/g/tampabaybogleheads

You’ll need to reply to the automated request to confirm your email address. One of us will then follow up with you to confirm your Bogleheads User Name, which will also be used as your Display Name for the Tampa Bay group.

Update: FYI, we've made it optional to use your Bogleheads name in the new email group. Just sign up with whatever email address and Username you prefer.

We’re looking forward to developing an active Tampa Bay chapter, and eventually meeting you in person!
Last edited by sleepysurf on Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

The new email group now has two Polls (at our Groups.io website), asking where members reside, and also preferred day of week to meet, in order to better plan centralized meetings (or rotate, if need be). We're aiming to schedule our next meeting in early/mid Nov.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

sleepysurf wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:47 pm The new email group now has two Polls (at our Groups.io website), asking where members reside, and also preferred day of week to meet, in order to better plan centralized meetings (or rotate, if need be). We're aiming to schedule our next meeting in early/mid Nov.
I'll be in St Pete in January with time on my hands.
So if you wind up meeting then, I'd love to find out about it.
Topic Author
tampaite

Post by tampaite »

Last edited by tampaite on Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

sleepysurf wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:15 pm... If you wish to remain active with the Tampa Bay Bogleheads, please sign up at… https://groups.io/g/tampabaybogleheads
You’ll need to reply to the automated request to confirm your email address. One of us will then follow up with you to confirm your Bogleheads User Name, which will also be used as your Display Name for the Tampa Bay group...
FYI, we've made it optional to use your Bogleheads name in our new email group. You can sign up there with whatever email address you prefer. We're now aiming to meet on Sat 11/17 or Sun 11/18 (perhaps a location near I-275 in Tampa Westshore area, to accommodate Pinellas and Sarasota folks as well). You can chime in with suggestions at the new site. We'll be deleting the old Google Group shortly.
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

Ok folks. We've scheduled our first (re-organizational) meeting for Sat 11/17 from 2 - 4 PM at the Panera's on Westshore Blvd in South Tampa, which should be convenient for all surrounding counties. Full details are listed at our new chapter email group/website... https://groups.io/g/tampabaybogleheads.

Please register there so we don't keep cluttering this board with non-essential chatter!

Looking forward to meeting everybody, and moving forward to make the Tampa Bay Bogleheads a vibrant entity!
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

sleepysurf wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:13 pm Ok folks. We've scheduled our first (re-organizational) meeting for Sat 11/17 from 2 - 4 PM at the Panera's on Westshore Blvd in South Tampa, which should be convenient for all surrounding counties. Full details are listed at our new chapter email group/website... https://groups.io/g/tampabaybogleheads.

Please register there so we don't keep cluttering this board with non-essential chatter!

Looking forward to meeting everybody, and moving forward to make the Tampa Bay Bogleheads a vibrant entity!
Just a reminder about our meeting next Saturday. Spouses, S.O.'s, and prospective new members are welcome to attend.
Don't forget to sign up at our new email group/website to stay informed. Here's the current agenda...

2:00 - 2:30 PM... Brief member introductions
2:30 - 3:00 PM... Open discussion re organization, meeting frequency, and direction for our local chapter
3:00 - 4:00 PM... Brief summary of recent Bogleheads conference (by Sleepysurf, and anybody else who attended), then open discussion on any financial topics of interest.
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

We had 5 attendees at today's meeting, including one millennial, three retirees, and one working spouse. In addition to the agenda items, we discussed a variety of topics, including...

-Role of the Investment (or Retirement) Policy Statement
-Little-known fact that Roth 401k's still have an RMD requirement
-Ways to protect against Sequence of Returns risk, as well as retirement glide-path concepts
-Shared our favorite financial bloggers and/or podcasts
-Observed that Bogleheads tend to have more of an analytical mindset/personality type (perhaps with a tilt towards OCD <g>)
-and much more

With regard to our local chapter...
-We decided to stick with a quarterly meeting schedule for now, with next one sometime in Feb.
-We'll explore partnering with other local chapters for possible sharing of live video presentations
-We'll (gently) reach out to local friends, family, or co-workers who might be interested in learning the Boglehead philosophy

Thanks to all who attended for making this a lively and productive meeting! We encourage all local Tampa Bay Bogleheads to get involved with our chapter and help us grow.
Topic Author
tampaite

Post by tampaite »

Last edited by tampaite on Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

Our next chapter meeting will be Sat Feb 16, from 2-4 PM, at the Seminole Heights Branch Library (Community Room A)... https://www.hcplc.org/locations/seminole-heights It's right off I-275 N, so easy access from surrounding counties.

I'll be giving a short presentation comparing Vanguard's Portfolio Watch Asset Allocation tool vs. Morningstar's X-Ray vs. Personal Capital's analysis, and another member will also be presenting on Asset Allocation. We'll follow with open Q&A/discussions. The room has A/V capability, and you can bring munchies (dry snacks and covered beverages only).

We encourage all Tampa Bay area members to join our Chapter email group/website, as noted above, for additional details, and to RSVP (see Feb RSVP Poll).

Looking forward to seeing many of you then!
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

Just a reminder about our upcoming meeting this Sat from 2-4 PM at the Seminole Heights Branch Library. We invite all Bogleheads within driving distance of Tampa to join us, and sign up for our chapter email list/website at... https://groups.io/g/tampabaybogleheads.

Looking forward to seeing you there!
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

We again had 5 attendees at our Feb meeting... one millennial, one mid 40's, two retirees, and one working spouse.

After introductions, we had a presentation comparing Vanguard's Portfolio Watch Asset Allocation analysis vs. those from Morningstar X-ray and Personal Capital. The deficiencies of the Vanguard tool were highlighted, with hopes expressed that it will be upgraded soon. Another member presented his unique approach for determining Asset Allocation utilizing potential $$ losses, rather than just percentages, for a more realistic illustration of risk. We had a productive discussion on those topics, along with others...

-Each attendee summarized their current AA, and tilts (if any).
-We reviewed the role that rebalancing serves (primarily to minimize volatility vs. improving portfolio performance).
-Briefly discussed members views re Long Term Care Insurance (none currently carrying it).
-Reviewed the basics of Asset Location (from a tax standpoint).

For now we'll stick with a quarterly meeting schedule, so next meeting will likely be early/mid May. Everybody felt the Seminole Heights Library was a convenient central location, so we'll use it again next time (can easily accommodate 25+ attendees).

Thanks again to all who attended. We encourage all local Tampa Bay Bogleheads to get involved with our chapter and help us grow.
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

Our next quarterly meeting will be Sat May 11, from 2-4 PM, again at the Seminole Heights Branch Library. We invite all Tampa Bay Bogleheads within driving distance to join us. You can sign up for our chapter email list/website at... https://groups.io/g/tampabaybogleheads, where you can also RSVP, suggest discussion topics, and/or volunteer to give a short presentation.

Hope to see our chapter continue to grow!
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

Just a reminder about our next Tampa Bay Bogleheads meeting, this Sat from 2-4 PM, at the Seminole Heights Branch Library. We don't have any presentations scheduled thus far, so we'll just have an open Q&A discussion on various topics of interest. See previous post for the link to sign up for our chapter email group/website.
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

We had 7 attendees at our May meeting, including five first-timers, so we're growing!

After introductions, we had open discussions on a variety of wide-ranging topics, including...
-Protecting against sequence of returns risk (as relates to retirees, and possible FIRE devotees)
-Two of our newbies described their use of options (writing covered calls on individual stocks), as a minor portion of their (otherwise BH-ish) portfolios
-Discussed choosing overall asset allocation, with consideration (if still working) whether your job security is more like a stock or a bond
-Briefly discussed possible role for Roth Conversions after age 70
-Difficulty finding a local "BH savvy" CPA for tax planning
-Discussed escalating cost for Healthcare Insurance for early retirees (of any age)
-Many other topics as well

As before, we'll stick with our quarterly schedule for the time being, so next meeting will likely be mid August.

Thanks again to all who attended. We encourage all local Tampa Bay Bogleheads to get involved with our chapter and help us grow.
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

Our next quarterly meeting will be held Sat Aug 17 from 2 - 4+ PM at the Town N Country Branch Library (Community Room A). It's still fairly centrally located (the Seminole Heights Library was not available).

We invite all Tampa Bay Bogleheads within driving distance to join us. You can sign up for our chapter email list/website at... https://groups.io/g/tampabaybogleheads, where you can also RSVP, suggest discussion topics, and/or volunteer to give a short presentation.

Looking forward to seeing our "regulars" and hopefully some "newbies" as well!
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

Just a reminder about our next quarterly meeting on Sat Aug 17 from 2 - 4+ PM, this time at the Town N Country Branch Library (Community Room A).

Here's a tentative agenda...
-Brief introduction of new members
-Presentation by one of our members on bonds and the current interest rate environment
-Member perspectives on recent market volatility, and support to "talk you off the market timing ledge" if necessary!
-What % International Equities do you hold? What about REITS or other Real Estate? Any other "tilts"?
-Suggestions for continued chapter growth
-Additional open Q&A

We invite all Tampa Bay Bogleheads within driving distance to join us. You can sign up for our chapter email list/website at... https://groups.io/g/tampabaybogleheads, where you can also RSVP, suggest discussion topics, and/or volunteer to give a short presentation.
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

We had only a handful of attendees this time around (lots of folks out of town), but worthy discussions nonetheless, including...
-A presentation on bonds, current interest rates, and implications of the recent rate inversion
-Another presentation reviewing YTD returns of various stock and bond asset classes
-Discussion about the potential role of the Vanguard Utilities ETF (VPU) as a separate tilt, as well as Vanguard Wellington and Wellesley (active) funds.
-Pros/Cons of adding a tilt to REITS
-Potential issues when managing a parent or other relatives portfolio, also implications when dealing with a Revocable or Irrevocable Trust
-Concept of using a "rising equity" glidepath in retirement
-Various other topics

We'll stick with our quarterly meeting schedule, and will hopefully return to the Seminole Heights Library for our Nov meeting (likely early to mid Nov).
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

Our next quarterly meeting will be Sat Nov 9, from 2-4(+) PM, again at the Seminole Heights Branch Library (Community Room B)... https://www.hcplc.org/locations/seminole-heights

Of note, we're mixing it up this time, as we've invited interested members of the Tampa ChooseFI group to join us. As evidenced by the recent "Bogleheads on Investing" podcast (featuring Chris Mamula, author of the new book ChooseFI- Your Blueprint for Financial Independence), both groups share common values and investing perspectives. The ChooseFI group is ostensibly a younger cohort, which ought to make for some interesting conversation!

As before, we invite all Tampa Bay Bogleheads within driving distance to join us. You can sign up for our chapter email list/website at... https://groups.io/g/tampabaybogleheads, where you can also RSVP, suggest discussion topics, and even volunteer to give a short presentation.

Looking forward to seeing our "regulars" and more newbies, for an interesting afternoon with the ChooseFI folks!
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

FYI, we've had a great response, thus far, from the Tampa ChooseFI group... 11 confirmed "Going" and 7 "Maybe."
I encourage all local Tampa Bay Bogleheads to try and join us, lest we be vastly outnumbered! :D

One of our club members will be giving a brief presentation reviewing the Boglehead principles, and we'll follow with an open Q&A session. I'm very curious to hear their individual approaches for achieving "Financial Independence" (?? extreme saving rate, bitcoin <g>, side-hustles, house-hacking, etc.), and how much progress they've made. I also want to hear how they invest, how they'll handle the next recession/bear market, and whether they truly plan to "Retire Early."
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

Just a reminder about our upcoming meeting on Sat, Nov 9 from 2-4(+) PM at the Seminole Heights Library (Community Room B). We're really looking forward to sharing perspectives with the ChooseFI attendees as well. Our tentative agenda is...
-Brief introductions
-A couple of short presentations by club members on Boglehead principles, and tips for those seeking Financial Independence
-Open Q&A session

As usual, we invite all Bogleheads within driving distance of Tampa to join us, and sign up for our chapter email list/website at... https://groups.io/g/tampabaybogleheads.

Looking forward to seeing you Sat!
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

Here's a brief summary of our Nov meeting...
-We had 12 attendees (still growing!) with many first-timers, both young and old.
-One of the ChooseFI leaders gave us an informal summary of the FIRE movement, and described his impressive journey down that path, having achieved FI in his early 30's, and now able to work part-time.
-One of our members presented basic tenets of the Boglehead philosophy, followed by a Q&A session covering a variety of topics, including the (theoretical) benefit of diversifying to international markets, how much to hold in an emergency fund, how the younger attendees are dealing with student debt, and much more.

Moving forward, we'll continue our quarterly schedule for now, with next meeting tentatively early Feb. There was some talk about possibly shifting meetings to a weeknight, and/or considering other potential meeting venues more centrally located for those coming from Pinellas, etc. We'll explore those options further via our chapter email list (and polling).

As always, we welcome all local Tampa Bay region Bogleheads to get involved, and help chart the future course of our chapter.
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

Our next quarterly meeting will be Sat, Feb 15, from 2-4(+) PM, this time at the historic West Tampa Library (https://hcplc.org/locations/west-tampa). This location has a modern meeting room with full A/V capability, and is conveniently located right off I-275, for those who reside outside of Tampa.

As before, we'll have open-ended discussions on whatever topics come up, but we'd also welcome any short presentations from anybody so inclined. We'll again invite the local ChooseFI members to join us, but the focus will remain BH-centric.

We invite all Tampa Bay Bogleheads within driving distance to join us. You can sign up for our chapter email list/website at... https://groups.io/g/tampabaybogleheads, where you can also RSVP, suggest discussion topics, or volunteer to give a presentation.

Looking forward to seeing our "regulars" and more "newbies" as we kick off the New Year!
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

Just a reminder about our upcoming meeting this Sat, from 2-4(+) PM, at the West Tampa Branch Library (see above post for additional details, including how to sign up for our chapter email list). In addition to our regular BH crowd, we have 10 RSVP's thus far from the local Tampa ChooseFI group. Looking forward to lots of interesting discussion!