Tampa Bay Local Bogleheads Chapter

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
tampaite

Tampa Bay Local Bogleheads Chapter

Post by tampaite »

Deleting my messages on this forum
Last edited by tampaite on Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
elgob.bogle

Re: Tampa, FL Chapter

Post by elgob.bogle »

I'm in Tampa & would go to local meetings. The SW FL chapter is kinda inactive. I went to one meeting at The Villages in Lake County a few years ago, and it was fun.

elgob
Topic Author
tampaite

Post by tampaite »

Last edited by tampaite on Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

tampaite wrote:Is there a local Chapter in the Tampa bay area?

I searched through the forum and I see one listed for South Florida but nothing specific to Tampa.
If you get five or more Bogleheads who are interested in forming a Tampa Local Chapter and one of you agrees to be the coordinator, just let me know and I'll make it official by adding your group and contact information to the Local Chapters Map.

FYI, the Local Chapter coordinator doesn't have to be an investing guru. Rather, he/she just has to communicate with the members about meeting dates, places, times and agendas via email and/or right here on the forum.

I know there are lots of Bogleheads in the Tampa area, so there's no reason why we don't have a Local Chapter there.

Good luck!
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
elgob.bogle

Post by elgob.bogle »

Tampaite - at the time, a policeman from Clearwater named Adrian Nenu was heavily involved with the SW FL Chapter. The meeting was conducted pretty much like he described in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=64383 I remember it was a long round trip, and I didn't know anyone - but had fun listening anyway. A local Tampa chapter with regular meetings would be helpful, and certainly more social.

elgob
bjc3

Post by bjc3 »

Did anything ever come of this? Just moved to Tampa and would be interested in meeting with the group.
dwsinger3025

Post by dwsinger3025 »

I'd join also!
boomerbaby

Post by boomerbaby »

I would also like to attend near Tampa. I think that makes 5 ...
"Write it on your heart that every day is the best day in the year." -Ralph Waldo Emerson
Gill

Post by Gill »

Why not expand it to include Sarasota and Venice?
Gill
Cost basis is redundant. One has a basis in an investment | One advises and gives advice | One should follow the principle of investing one's principal
MrNewEngland

Post by MrNewEngland »

I love Tampa.
petram

Post by petram »

After lurking for many months, I just registered to say that I live in Tampa and would love to be able to meet locally with you fellow Bogleheads.
Fat-Tailed Contagion

Post by Fat-Tailed Contagion »

In Bradenton, am interested in meetings in Tampa Bay area.

Is the Tampa meeting the only location in the area?

Thank you.

-FTC
“The intelligent investor is a realist who sells to optimists and buys from pessimists.” | ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor (75/25 - 50/50 - 25/75)
Parhead2

Post by Parhead2 »

Im also new to Tampa -- id be interested in a local group. Thx
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

OK, Bogleheads. Lots of interest in forming a Tampa-area Local Chapter. All we need now is for one of you to step forward and agree to be the Local Chapter coordinator. Just PM me with your first name and an email address that you'd like to use for this purpose and I'll add your group to the Local Chapters Map so others can find and contact you.

Once established, members can communicate with each other right her about meeting dates, times, locations, agendas, etc.

Let's get a Tampa Chapter up and running!
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

My wife (a Boglehead neophyte) and I are in the Tampa Bay area and would likewise be interested in a local chapter. Unfortunately, I'm working long hours and many weekends, so attendance might be sporadic for the next few months.
Retired 2018 | currently ~64/33/3 (partially sliced and diced, with a slowly rising equity glide path)
trueblueky

Post by trueblueky »

Not in Tampa, but close enough I could attend sometimes.
petram

Post by petram »

bumping
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Still looking for a volunteer to be the Local Chapter coordinator. Once we have that resolved, you'll be up and running as the Tampa Bogleheads Local Chapter.

C'mon, don't be bashful.
SeanFL

Post by SeanFL »

I'd consider being the coordinator. Before agreeing, could you give me an idea of how much time that would involve? My guess is that it involves setting up meeting times & places and seeing who can bring what if we want refreshments. Is that fairly accurate?

Also, do some chapters meet in houses to make it easier to coordinate a space?

Thanks for feedback and hope we can all get together. Sean
Investor with Vanguard for over 30 years | Father of Four
Workinghard

Post by Workinghard »

Tampa is doable for me.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

SeanFL wrote:I'd consider being the coordinator. Before agreeing, could you give me an idea of how much time that would involve? My guess is that it involves setting up meeting times & places and seeing who can bring what if we want refreshments. Is that fairly accurate?

Also, do some chapters meet in houses to make it easier to coordinate a space?

Thanks for feedback and hope we can all get together. Sean
Yes, Sean, the coordinator communicates with the members about meeting dates, times, places, agendas, etc. You can use this subforum for the communicating. Where and when you meet are entirely up to you and the members.

If you're willing to be the coordinator, PM me with an email that you'll use for this purpose (suggest something like TampaBogleheads at google dot com) since the address will be added to the public Local Chapter Map. Because it's public, you don't want to use your private email address.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

OK, Tampa-area Bogleheads, Sean has agreed to be the new Tampa Bogleheads Local Chapter coordinator. Thanks for stepping up, Sean.

Good luck to all the Tampa-area Bogleheads with your new local chapter. You'll soon be added to this map as Local Chapter #66.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewe ... f1kHLN4YMQ
SeanFL

Re: New Tampa, FL Local Bogleheads Chapter

Post by SeanFL »

Hi fellow Tampa investors!

Excited to begin forming a group. If you're interested in being part of the group, would you take 2 minutes and fill out this google form: http://goo.gl/forms/eRMOn3qZcS

That'll help me see where people are located, when the most people can meet, how many of us there are, and what you're hoping to share and learn from the group. It's six questions, and the first two are your name and where you are coming from. Pretty easy.

Once there are a few responses, I'll be back to suggest a few times and dates we could meet.

Thanks and I look forward to our first get together in the future.

Sean
GordonNAR

Post by GordonNAR »

I am in Tampa and interested in joining
SailingAway

Post by SailingAway »

Lived in the Tampa area for years, until 2009 when we went sailing for a while. The last couple years we are around from Nov-Mar, otherwise we're in French Polynesia, but we'd be interested in attending when we are in FL.

Maybe I should start a French Polynesia chapter???
ShenziNation

Post by ShenziNation »

I'm in Tampa and am interested in meeting local Bogleheads and for exchanging ideas aka knowledge transfer. :beer
SeanFL

Post by SeanFL »

Here's the email just sent out to those that signed up at this link: http://goo.gl/forms/eRMOn3qZcS If you're reading this and want to sign up to be part of the group, click that link above and also send an email.

Thanks for connecting and showing interest in a Tampa Bogleheads Group. We have 10 people showing interest in meeting as a group. This is a great beginning.

Moving forward, the group would meet for a couple hours, 6-10 times a year to discus personal investing utilizing the philosophy John Bogle (founder of Vanguard) began years ago. If you're new to the "Bogleheads" philosophy, you may enjoy getting a quick introduction here https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Video:B ... philosophy, including the videos. There's also this book http://goo.gl/O6u9lH (Common Sense Investing), which has been very helpful to understand why simplicity utilizing low-cost index mutual funds will most likely lead to your highest returns over the long-term.

Most of the signups have been on the Pinellas County side of the Tampa area, with a few people closer to Tampa and a few others farther (Winter Haven, The Villages, etc.) I'm going to work on finding a space for us to meet in the Safety Harbor, Palm Harbor, Tarpon Springs area.

Do we want to try to get together before the end of the year or would a mid-January start work better for you? It would be best to share our communication on the Bogleheads forum, here.

Thanks for your interest and I look forward to meeting you soon.

Sean Caldwell
Tampa Bogleheads Group
tampabogleheads@gmail.com
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

SailingAway wrote:Lived in the Tampa area for years, until 2009 when we went sailing for a while. The last couple years we are around from Nov-Mar, otherwise we're in French Polynesia, but we'd be interested in attending when we are in FL.

Perhaps you might start a new thread here on this forum asking if there's enough interest in starting a French Polynesia chapter. We do have foreign local chapters in Paris, Dubai and Taiwan so French Polynesia would be a nice addition.
FlamingoTime

Post by FlamingoTime »

Depending on dates, I may not be able to meet as I'm traveling for Thanksgiving and then a cruise mid-January. If I cannot make the first, I will definitely make every effort to make the next one!
Taylor Larimore

Post by Taylor Larimore »

SailingAway wrote:Lived in the Tampa area for years, until 2009 when we went sailing for a while. The last couple years we are around from Nov-Mar, otherwise we're in French Polynesia, but we'd be interested in attending when we are in FL.

S.W. Florida Bogleheads:

I might mention that "SailingAway" visited our local "Sailor's Lunch." He give one of the most interesting accounts about sailing their family sailboat in their cruise around-the-world that we have heard.

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
ShenziNation

Post by ShenziNation »

Suggestion that the thread tile be changed to "Tampa Bay, FL Local Bogleheads Chapter (NEW)" or something similar.

New Tampa is a suburb of Tampa; some readers residing in Tampa Bay may think this chapter maybe limited to New Tampa residents.

/USD 0.02
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

bad78andy wrote:Suggestion that the thread tile be changed to "Tampa Bay, FL Local Bogleheads Chapter (NEW)" or something similar.

New Tampa is a suburb of Tampa; some readers residing in Tampa Bay may think this chapter maybe limited to New Tampa residents.

/USD 0.02
Thanks for the heads up. Thread title changed.
Fat-Tailed Contagion

Post by Fat-Tailed Contagion »

bad78andy wrote:Suggestion that the thread tile be changed to "Tampa Bay, FL Local Bogleheads Chapter (NEW)" or something similar.

/USD 0.02
+ I'd suggest Tampa BAY so that it includes St. Pete, Bradenton, and Sarasota folks.
“The intelligent investor is a realist who sells to optimists and buys from pessimists.” | ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor (75/25 - 50/50 - 25/75)
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Fat-Tailed Contagion wrote:

/USD 0.02
+ I'd suggest Tampa BAY so that it includes St. Pete, Bradenton, and Sarasota folks.
Agree and changed the thread title to read "Tampa Bay".

For the record, it doesn't matter where a Boglehead lives, you're always welcome to attend ANY announced local chapter meeting.
Topic Author
tampaite

Post by tampaite »

Last edited by tampaite on Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
ShenziNation

Re: Tampa Bay Local Bogleheads Chapter

Post by ShenziNation »

We haven't had a meeting. I'm up for one on the last weekend of Jan. Or early Feb.
Workinghard

Post by Workinghard »

bad78andy wrote:We haven't had a meeting. I'm up for one on the last weekend of Jan. Or early Feb.
Works for me!
Topic Author
tampaite

Post by tampaite »

Last edited by tampaite on Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
petram

Post by petram »

would like to suggest early feb as gasparilla is being held at the end of jan.
Topic Author
tampaite

Post by tampaite »

Last edited by tampaite on Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
petram

Post by petram »

tampaite wrote:
petram wrote:would like to suggest early feb as gasparilla is being held at the end of jan.
Does Feb 13(Sat) or Feb 14(Sun) work for you ?

How do we get a count of how many are interested in attending the event? Also, any suggestions for a good place?

I believe we can meet at our local New Tampa Regional Library, they have conference rooms available.
that location would work for me. we do have others that may be further away. we should probably e-mail the group e-mail Sean set up to show our interest at tampabogleheads@gmail.com
Workinghard

Post by Workinghard »

Definitely interested here. As long as the location isn't an issue for a GPS, I'm good to go. :)
Topic Author
tampaite

Post by tampaite »

Last edited by tampaite on Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
tampaite

Post by tampaite »

Last edited by tampaite on Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
ShenziNation

Post by ShenziNation »

tampaite wrote:How to poll members to see which date(s) is suitable - Feb 13th ro Feb 14th ?

I see the poll option is disabled.
Polls were disabled by the moderators.
viewtopic.php?t=164952
Topic Author
tampaite

Post by tampaite »

ShenziNation

Post by ShenziNation »

tampaite wrote: Please send me your email via PM to be added to that group.
I tried but got the error Some users couldn’t be added as they have disabled private message receipt.
Topic Author
tampaite

Post by tampaite »

SailingAway

Post by SailingAway »

I'm not here after February until December again, but if it happens soon I'd be interested in attending if possible. New Tampa would be good for me as well. Can't on 2/19, but other than that I think pretty clear.
Topic Author
tampaite

Post by tampaite »

Last edited by tampaite on Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.