Master Thread for Metro Boston's Chapter

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
siamond

Re: Master Thread for Metro Boston's Chapter

Post by siamond »

Next meeting will be on Saturday, December 7 at 10:15am. Followed by an optional social lunch. Mark your calendars!
ismail

Post by ismail »

Hello,

I am a newbie halfway through reading the boglehead guide. Please add me to the list.
Darth Xanadu

Post by Darth Xanadu »

Hello, I recently moved to the Boston area, does anybody have a recommendation for a tax preparer / CPA in the area? Would need help with federal and presumably 2 state returns.

Thanks!
DX
QuixoticLibrarian

Post by QuixoticLibrarian »

Hello all! Please add me to the December meeting if there's still space.
Topic Author
siamond

Post by siamond »

ismail wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:12 amI am a newbie halfway through reading the boglehead guide. Please add me to the list.
Darth Xanadu wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:58 am Hello, I recently moved to the Boston area [...]
QuixoticLibrarian wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:48 pm Hello all! Please add me to the December meeting if there's still space.
Hi there. Welcome to Metro-Boston. Please check your private messages (top right of the display), I tried to contact each of you...
madtryx44

Post by madtryx44 »

Just joined Boglegeads and have inadvertently bee pursuing FI since a few years prior. Interested in local Boston-area chapter meetings. I would appreciate it if I could be added to mailing list for future meetings! Thank you!
IslandTime

Post by IslandTime »

siamond wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:09 am Next meeting will be on Saturday, December 7 at 10:15am. Followed by an optional social lunch. Mark your calendars!
What is the location for the Dec 7 meeting?
Topic Author
siamond

Post by siamond »

madtryx44 wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:40 am Just joined Boglegeads and have inadvertently bee pursuing FI since a few years prior. Interested in local Boston-area chapter meetings. I would appreciate it if I could be added to mailing list for future meetings! Thank you!
IslandTime wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:32 am What is the location for the Dec 7 meeting?
Folks, please check your private messages (upper right part of the display).
EmeraldBayView

Post by EmeraldBayView »

Hello everyone! I'm new to the board (been lurking since July) but would be interested in attending if there is space.

Many thanks.
557880yvi

Post by 557880yvi »

Would also like to be added, thanks!
Topic Author
siamond

Post by siamond »

Folks,

As a reminder, our next meeting will be on Dec 7th, starting 10:15am, for a couple of hours. This will be followed by an optional social lunch nearby. Details (agenda, location) will be sent by e-mail today. If you're not on my e-mail list, please contact me via a private message on this forum.

If you're planning to come (tentative or committed), please let me know. E-mail, private message, post on this thread, as you prefer. Also please let me know if you're planning to attend lunch (incl. the number of parties!).
Topic Author
siamond

Post by siamond »

Roll call for Dec 7th meeting. Please let me know if you'd like to be added to the list of attendees.

Committed
  • siamond
    juntas
    B4Xt3r
    Anonymous
    Norton750
    citywriter
    Anonymous
    trsk
    blackhawkfan
    rpeebee
    Anonymous
    moshe
    Ikigai
    citywriter
    historikerstreit
    chabil
    Anonymous
    yarden60
    The Wizard
    Anonymous
    EmeraldBayView
    Anonymous x2
Tentative
  • vginvestor
    steelblades
    tknelson
    Grahamhead
557880yvi

Post by 557880yvi »

tentative
imyeti2

Post by imyeti2 »

I'm interested.
Topic Author
siamond

Post by siamond »

Metro-Boston Bogleheads, please take note in your busy calendars... Here are the dates for the next meetings:
- March 7th at 1:00 pm (~3 hours)
- June 20th at 10:15am (~2 hours + optional lunch)

PS. careful, I updated the date for the June meeting! Don't forget to update your calendars!
midwestyank

Post by midwestyank »

My husband retired Nov. 1st and I've been in "charge" of the finances forever! But I'm still working and would like him to become more involved and thought joining the local Bogleheads would be a great idea. So please add us to your list for meetings. We live in the NH seacoast. thanks! Happy New Year. I'm unsure where we see the location for the March 7th meeting?
midwestyank

Post by midwestyank »

My husband retired Nov. 1st and I've been in "charge" of the finances forever! But I'm still working and would like him to become more involved and thought joining the local Bogleheads would be a great idea. So please add us to your list for meetings. We live in the NH seacoast. thanks! Happy New Year. I'm unsure where we see the location for the March 7th meeting?
Topic Author
siamond

Post by siamond »

midwestyank wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:09 pm My husband retired Nov. 1st and I've been in "charge" of the finances forever! But I'm still working and would like him to become more involved and thought joining the local Bogleheads would be a great idea. So please add us to your list for meetings. We live in the NH seacoast. thanks! Happy New Year. I'm unsure where we see the location for the March 7th meeting?
Please check your private messages (upper right part of this Web page). I send location & agenda details through an e-mail distribution list.
greenmonster

Post by greenmonster »

Very interested in future meetings - please add me to the email list as well. Thanks!
cos

Post by cos »

Hi! I'm definitely interested in attending future meetings if they're accessible via public transportation around Boston. How do I get onto the mailing list?
Topic Author
siamond

Post by siamond »

cos wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:02 pm Hi! I'm definitely interested in attending future meetings if they're accessible via public transportation around Boston. How do I get onto the mailing list?
You can join by exchanging a couple of private messages with me!

Public transportation isn't too good to get to our usual meeting place, but I'm happy to pick you up at the Alewife subway station before I go myself. Would be a very small detour for me, no problem.
Topic Author
siamond

Post by siamond »

siamond wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:11 pm Metro-Boston Bogleheads, please take note in your busy calendars... Here are the dates for the next meetings:
- March 7th at 1:00 pm (~3 hours)
- June 20th at 10:15am (~2 hours + optional lunch)

PS. careful, I updated the date for the June meeting! Don't forget to update your calendars!
Ping! We'll meet in a little less than a month...

More details will be provided by e-mail - if you are on my distribution list, that is. Otherwise, please shoot me a Private Message.
Topic Author
siamond

Post by siamond »

Metro-Boston Bogleheads, just a reminder that we'll meet again on March 7th at 1:00 pm (~3 hours). That would be in two weeks, time flies. :shock:

Agenda and location details are shared by e-mail. If you're not on my distribution list, please send me a private message.
Topic Author
siamond

Post by siamond »

After the way this week panned out, I have a sense that we will have a lively meeting on March 7th... :wink:

ROLL CALL! If you're planning to attend (committed or tentative) and are not already on the list below, please let me know... E-mail, PM, post on this thread, whatever the means. Thank you!

Committed:
siamond
B4Xt3r
blackhawkfan
Dahlia45
Ikigai
Anonymous
Norton750
Anonymous
Anonymous
Anonymous
Anonymous
kamikazekid
citywriter
rpeebee
Small Law Survivor
kjsammy
Anonymous
Hillview
dyeusdi
Anonymous
Zonto
moshe

Tentative:
steelblades
Topic Author
siamond

Post by siamond »

(UPDATED) ROLL CALL! If you're planning to attend (committed or tentative) and are not already on the list below, please let me know... E-mail, PM, post on this thread, whatever the means. Thank you!

Committed:
siamond
B4Xt3r
blackhawkfan
Dahlia45
Ikigai
Anonymous
Norton750
Anonymous
Anonymous
Anonymous
Anonymous
kamikazekid
citywriter
rpeebee
Small Law Survivor
kjsammy
Hillview
Anonymous
Zonto
moshe
palka9898
Anonymous
w7thMark (+1)
EmeraldBayView
Anonymous

Tentative:
steelblades
brantley
yarden60
bh10
juntas
madtryx44
Anonymous
Bonz
Topic Author
siamond

Post by siamond »

Well, very sorry about that, but I have to CANCEL our chapter meeting (which was scheduled for this Saturday).

I just provided more details by e-mail for those of you on my distribution list. If you're not on my list and were planning to attend, please contact me by a private message and I'll explain a bit further (and optionally add you to my list!).

I will rechedule the meeting as soon as possible, hopefully early April. In the mean time, stay the course, folks!
Topic Author
siamond

Post by siamond »

So... back to scheduling and calendar management.

Our coming meeting is now scheduled on Saturday April 4th, starting at 10:15am till 12:30pm. Followed by an optional social lunch.

As to the next one, we'll keep the date (June 20th), but shift to the afternoon slot (1pm to 4pm).

Please mark your calendars and sorry again for the last minute change.
ssn

Post by ssn »

Hello,
I am new to Bogleheads and was looking for local chapter (resident of MA). Can you please add me to the email list?
Thank you,
-ssn
Topic Author
siamond

Post by siamond »

Just that you guys know, our April 4th meeting will be an online meeting, probably based on the Zoom platform. Agenda and details will be communicated by e-mail.
Topic Author
siamond

Post by siamond »

siamond wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:45 pm Just that you guys know, our April 4th meeting will be an online meeting, probably based on the Zoom platform. Agenda and details will be communicated by e-mail.
Meeting confirmed. I just sent details to our e-mail distribution list. If you're interested and are not yet on this list, please send me a private message.

Note that I won't do the usual roll call.

Topic Author
siamond

Post by siamond »

siamond wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:59 pm
siamond wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:45 pm Just that you guys know, our April 4th meeting will be an online meeting, probably based on the Zoom platform. Agenda and details will be communicated by e-mail.
Meeting confirmed. I just sent details to our e-mail distribution list. If you're interested and are not yet on this list, please send me a private message.
One last reminder, we will proceed tomorrow as planned. Scope has been extended to both Metro-Boston/MA and Providence/RI chapters.

If you did NOT get detailed instructions by e-mail and would like to (virtually) attend, please contact me (e.g. private message)...
Topic Author
siamond

Post by siamond »

Our next meeting will be on Saturday May 9th, 10:15am to 12:30. It will be an online meeting, based on Zoom. All details were shared by e-mail. If you're located in New England and wish to be added to my distribution list, feel free to contact me by private message.

The agenda will be the following:
1. A presentation about Investing Basics
2. An open discussion about the ongoing crisis

Most of you will be familiar with the material from the first presentation, the intent is two-fold:
a) an opportunity to invite family members and acquaintances who are new to passive investing
b) to give you some material to help you speak by yourself with newbies
Topic Author
siamond

Post by siamond »

Ping! See above!
Topic Author
siamond

Post by siamond »

Next meeting: June 20th, afternoon slot (1pm to 4pm). Probably online. Mark your calendars!
Topic Author
siamond

Post by siamond »

And while I'm at it, I also pinned down the date for the fall meeting: Sep 12th, 10:15-12:30. Online or in person, to be determined...
Topic Author
siamond

Post by siamond »

siamond wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 3:52 pm Next meeting: June 20th, afternoon slot (1pm to 4pm). Probably online. Mark your calendars!
Friendly reminder! This will (again) be an online meeting, Zoom instructions and agenda will be sent by e-mail in a few days. If you're not on my distribution list, please shoot me a private message.
Topic Author
siamond

Post by siamond »

Last reminder! See above.
Topic Author
siamond

Post by siamond »

All done with our June meeting. Please mark your calendars for the fall meeting: Sep 12th, 10:15-12:30.
NiravModi

Post by NiravModi »

Hello,

I am new to the community. Please add me to the next meeting if possible. Thank you everyone. I hope to learn a lot and help in whichever way I can.

Nirav
Chrysanthemum

Post by Chrysanthemum »

Hello Bogleheads,

I'm a new member and would appreciate receiving notice about upcoming meetings.
Thanks!

Chrys
mrtwstr

Post by mrtwstr »

Since I don't see an active CT group anywhere I'd like to join with my Boston brethren ;) Please add me to the list.
Arabesque

Post by Arabesque »

Deleted
econprof

Post by econprof »

Hi everyone! Long time Boston resident and personal finance enthusiast, recent Bogleheads forum member. I’d love to join the September meetup! How do I get involved?
Topic Author
siamond

Post by siamond »

Folks, a quick reminder about the fall meeting: Sep 12th, 10:15-12:30. It will be an online meeting, agenda will be centered on rebalancing, specific instructions will be shared via our Metro-Boston chapter e-mail distribution list.

For those of you who are not yet on the distribution list, please check your private messages on this forum. If you don't find anything from me, please send me a short message identifying yourself? Thank you!
xkcd4711

Post by xkcd4711 »

Hello! Could you please add me to the list? I'm in the Western part of the state. After reading the forum for quite some time, I now registered, but still can't use PM's quite yet. Glad that the meetings are online right now, which makes them more accessible to me. Many thanks!
Misenplace

Post by Misenplace »

Welcome to the forum xkcd4711. Now that your first post is approved, you will be able to post and PM.
Topic Author
siamond

Post by siamond »

One more meeting completed... Onto the next one, which is scheduled for Dec 12th, starting around 1pm. Mark your calendars!
VBS

Post by VBS »

New to the forum, please add me to the list. Thank you!
Topic Author
siamond

Post by siamond »

VBS wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:15 pm New to the forum, please add me to the list. Thank you!
Please check your private messages (link is located on upper right part of the forum display).
aurzua

Post by aurzua »

Would love to be added to the Boston chapter list!