Master Thread for Metro Boston's Chapter

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
wkz111

Re: Master Thread for Metro Boston's Chapter

Post by wkz111 »

Hi, I can't make this meeting but will try the next time for sure (December?). Looking forward to meeting everyone!

Thanks
Snowjob

Post by Snowjob »

Anyone ever consider a weeknight meeting one of these days instead of a Saturday? Those weekends seem hard to commit to :)
Topic Author
siamond

Post by siamond »

Snowjob wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:27 pm Anyone ever consider a weeknight meeting one of these days instead of a Saturday? Those weekends seem hard to commit to :)
It would be difficult to find a free conference room (incl. video) where to meet in the evening. Plus some of our attendees have quite a drive, and it's much easier during week-ends. This being said, I am more than happy to meet Bogleheads for dinner if somebody is interested to chat.
Topic Author
siamond

Post by siamond »

Here are the dates for our next meetings:
- December 15th, 2018, from 10am to noon (followed by social lunch)
- March 23rd, 2019, from 1pm to 4pm (no lunch)
Hillview

Post by Hillview »

Thanks for a great meeting this weekend! Learned a lot about RMDs!!
Snowjob

Post by Snowjob »

siamond wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:59 pm
Snowjob wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:27 pm Anyone ever consider a weeknight meeting one of these days instead of a Saturday? Those weekends seem hard to commit to :)
It would be difficult to find a free conference room (incl. video) where to meet in the evening. Plus some of our attendees have quite a drive, and it's much easier during week-ends. This being said, I am more than happy to meet Bogleheads for dinner if somebody is interested to chat.
I'll keep it in mind -- I end up in Boston for work every month or two. Also noted the March date down -- might be able to make that depend on ski conditions =)
moshe

Post by moshe »

I would definitely be open to an evening discussion over dinner.

~Moshe
My money has no emotions. ~Moshe | | I'm the world's greatest expert on my own opinion. ~Bruce Williams
Topic Author
siamond

Post by siamond »

moshe wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:19 pm I would definitely be open to an evening discussion over dinner.
Actually, Moshe, if you're willing to coordinate such a dinner/discussion every now and then, feel free to proceed! This would nicely complement our Saturday's sessions.
moshe

Post by moshe »

siamond wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:02 pm
moshe wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:19 pm I would definitely be open to an evening discussion over dinner.
Actually, Moshe, if you're willing to coordinate such a dinner/discussion every now and then, feel free to proceed! This would nicely complement our Saturday's sessions.
Anyone else interested in participating?
My money has no emotions. ~Moshe | | I'm the world's greatest expert on my own opinion. ~Bruce Williams
tomcr

Post by tomcr »

hello-I am a new member and request I be added to the e mail list. tomcr
Jellygrouch

Post by Jellygrouch »

Hello, I am a new member as well, please add me to this thread. I'm also interested in attending chapter meetings and events.
Topic Author
siamond

Post by siamond »

tomcr wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:08 am hello-I am a new member and request I be added to the e mail list. tomcr
Jellygrouch wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:51 am Hello, I am a new member as well, please add me to this thread. I'm also interested in attending chapter meetings and events.
Guys, please check your private messages.
robboston

Post by robboston »

Hi, I am a new member as well, please add me to this thread. I'm also interested in attending chapter meetings and events.
Thanks
Robboston
nbz59wr

Post by nbz59wr »

siamond wrote: Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:04 pm Seems that we have no master thread for Boston and surroundings. So let's open one.
I'm in.
Topic Author
siamond

Post by siamond »

tomcr wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:08 am hello-I am a new member and request I be added to the e mail list. tomcr
Jellygrouch wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:51 am Hello, I am a new member as well, please add me to this thread. I'm also interested in attending chapter meetings and events.
robboston wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:09 pm Hi, I am a new member as well, please add me to this thread. I'm also interested in attending chapter meetings and events.
nbz59wr wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:32 pm I'm in.
Guys, please check your private messages.
citywriter

Post by citywriter »

I'm new to this forum and would appreciate notices on these meetings. Thanks!
Da5id

Post by Da5id »

Please add me as well.
Topic Author
siamond

Post by siamond »

citywriter wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:30 am I'm new to this forum and would appreciate notices on these meetings. Thanks!
Da5id wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:09 am Please add me as well.
Guys, please check your private messages (see upper right corner of the forum's display, right by your user name).
Topic Author
siamond

Post by siamond »

Roll call for the next meeting (Dec 15th, 10am, Lincoln Public Library).

If you're planning to come (tentative or committed), please let me know (posting here, private message, e-mail, whatever) and please indicate how many seats you'll need at our (optional!) social lunch.

Committed
  • siamond
  • Norton750
  • steelblades
  • moshe
  • citywriter
  • rpeebee
  • kamikazekid
  • blackhawkfan
  • kjsammy
  • Living Free
  • +1 Anonymous
Tentative
  • dancul
  • Ikigai
JFlo86

Post by JFlo86 »

Hi I am a new member to the group. I would not be able to attend the 15 December meet up but I would like to be notified of future meetings!

Thank you!
-John
Topic Author
siamond

Post by siamond »

JFlo86 wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:40 pm Hi I am a new member to the group. I would not be able to attend the 15 December meet up but I would like to be notified of future meetings!
Welcome. Please check your private messages.
Topic Author
siamond

Post by siamond »

Roll call for the next meeting (Dec 15th, 10am, Lincoln Public Library).

If you're planning to come (tentative or committed), please let me know (posting here, private message, e-mail, whatever) and please indicate how many seats you'll need at our (optional!) social lunch.

Committed
  • siamond
  • Norton750
  • steelblades
  • moshe
  • citywriter
  • rpeebee
  • kamikazekid
  • blackhawkfan
  • kjsammy
  • Living Free
  • Hillview
  • The Wizard
  • luv_ice_skating
  • dyeusdi
  • +2 Anonymous
Tentative
  • dancul
  • Ikigai
dkg2707

Post by dkg2707 »

Hope it's not too late to confirm. Please count me in, confirmed. Sorry, won't be able to attend the social lunch.
Topic Author
siamond

Post by siamond »

dkg2707 wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:16 pm Hope it's not too late to confirm. Please count me in, confirmed. Sorry, won't be able to attend the social lunch.
No problem. Thanks for letting me know.
Topic Author
siamond

Post by siamond »

Last update to the roll call for the next meeting (Saturday Dec 15th, 10am, Lincoln Public Library).

Committed
  • siamond
  • Norton750
  • steelblades
  • moshe
  • citywriter
  • rpeebee
  • kamikazekid
  • blackhawkfan
  • kjsammy
  • Living Free
  • Hillview
  • The Wizard
  • luv_ice_skating
  • dyeusdi
  • dkg2707
  • vginvestor
  • +3 Anonymous
Tentative
  • dancul
  • Ikigai
  • rennale
Topic Author
siamond

Post by siamond »

Yet another very interactive meeting today, followed by animated lunch discussions! We discussed "Time Value of Money" and "Great Investment Books". I'll post the first presentation on the Financial Literacy wiki page later this week-end.

About the next meeting, I booked the Lincoln library for:
- March 23rd, 2019, from 1pm to 4pm (no lunch)

Also, please note that a new Bogleheads chapter (Metro-Providence, in Rhode Island) will have its very first meeting in the East Providence Public Library on Jan 14th, at 7pm. I will be the primary guest speaker, with a talk about Passive Investing 101, An Introduction To Asset Allocation.
jatintuteja

Post by jatintuteja »

I just joined this forum and new here, would appreciate notices on next meetings, looks like I missed the one last weekend. Thanks and Happy Holidays
Topic Author
siamond

Post by siamond »

jatintuteja wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:22 pm I just joined this forum and new here, would appreciate notices on next meetings, looks like I missed the one last weekend. Thanks and Happy Holidays
Yup, missed the last meeting by a few days. We'll have another meeting near Providence early January if you're interested. Please check your private messages?
xavier-feather

Post by xavier-feather »

Hi everyone. Same here - just joined the forum and would like to be added to the mailing list.

Will try to make it to the meeting in Providence.
jatintuteja

Post by jatintuteja »

Hey there, I'm very interested and just joined the forum, I live in Central MA and willing to travel for meetings, please add me to the mailing list and would like to join the Boston area local chapter, Happy New Year everyone
Topic Author
siamond

Post by siamond »

jatintuteja wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:07 am Hey there, I'm very interested and just joined the forum, I live in Central MA and willing to travel for meetings, please add me to the mailing list and would like to join the Boston area local chapter, Happy New Year everyone
Good to hear. Please check your private messages (upper right corner of the display).
Topic Author
siamond

Post by siamond »

LAST REMINDER!!

A new Bogleheads chapter (Metro-Providence, in Rhode Island) will have its very first meeting in the East Providence Public Library on Jan 14th, at 7pm. I will be the primary guest speaker, with a talk about Passive Investing 101, An Introduction To Asset Allocation.
Arpek

Post by Arpek »

Hi siamond! Would you be able to add me to the distribution? Long time lurker, new user on the site.

Thank you,
Arpek
amyviola

Post by amyviola »

I am also a lurker coming into the light - I would love to be on the distribution list and to attend the meeting on March 23rd.
Topic Author
siamond

Post by siamond »

Arpek wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:11 pm Hi siamond! Would you be able to add me to the distribution? Long time lurker, new user on the site.
amyviola wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:13 pm I am also a lurker coming into the light - I would love to be on the distribution list and to attend the meeting on March 23rd.
Folks, welcome to our modest chapter. Please check your private messages? (see top right corner of the screen)
Topic Author
siamond

Post by siamond »

And... we're in March 2019 already!

Please remember that our next Metro-Boston meeting is scheduled on Saturday, March 23rd, 2019, from 1pm to 4pm at the Lincoln Public Library (MA). I'll communicate more details (e.g. agenda) via our distribution list. Please send me a private message if you want to be added to the list.

Also, our Metro-Providence neighbors are getting quite active and will meet on Saturday, March 30, 2019 at 10am at the East Providence Public Library (RI).
Topic Author
siamond

Post by siamond »

One more reminder: our next Metro-Boston meeting is scheduled on Saturday, March 23rd, 2019, from 1pm to 4pm at the Lincoln Public Library (MA).

The topic of choice is very timely, an extensive tutorial about 2018 Individual Income Taxes, including the recent tax reform.
Topic Author
siamond

Post by siamond »

And... one last bump... The presenter worked really hard on this presentation, this should be of great interest to EVERYBODY!
siamond wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:51 pm One more reminder: our next Metro-Boston meeting is scheduled on Saturday, March 23rd, 2019, from 1pm to 4pm at the Lincoln Public Library (MA).

The topic of choice is very timely, an extensive tutorial about 2018 Individual Income Taxes, including the recent tax reform.
Topic Author
siamond

Post by siamond »

Here are the dates for the next two Metro-Boston meetings, please mark your calendars.

- Saturday June 8th, 10:15am to 12:15 (agenda centered on social security)

- Saturday September 7th, from 1pm to 4pm (agenda tbd)

If you are not already on my (e-)mailing list, please contact me via a private message.
Topic Author
siamond

Post by siamond »

Roll call for our coming Metro-Boston meeting, please let me know (e-mail, PM, post) if you're coming, tentatively or committed. Further details communicated by e-mail.

PS. If you are not already on my (e-)mailing list, please contact me via a private message.
Topic Author
siamond

Post by siamond »

siamond wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 8:53 am Roll call for our coming Metro-Boston meeting, please let me know (e-mail, PM, post) if you're coming, tentatively or committed. Further details communicated by e-mail.

PS. If you are not already on my (e-)mailing list, please contact me via a private message.
Committed:
siamond
Norton750
traveltoomuch
timoneer
blackhawkfan
Hillview
Small Law Survivor
kjsammy
brantley
tknelson
jenlinc2006
Ikigai
citywriter
+ 5 anonymous

Tentative:
Mehitabel
dancul
Topic Author
siamond

Post by siamond »

Last bump! See you guys on Saturday!
Topic Author
siamond

Post by siamond »

Metro-Boston Jun-19 meeting all set and done, many thanks to the two great presenters and the interactive audience. I just e-mailed the presentation material on my usual (e-)mailing list. If you are not already on my list, please contact me via a private message.

As to the next meeting, please mark your calendar as it is already scheduled:
- Saturday September 7th, from 1pm to 4pm
BergeronsBuddies

Post by BergeronsBuddies »

Hi Friends, does anyone have a tax accountant/CPA they can suggest?

We are pretty typical - dual income both from W-2s but with starting backdoor roths within the last few years and owning real estate, I get a bit nervous I could be missing something.
Grahamhead

Post by Grahamhead »

BergeronsBuddies wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:27 pm Hi Friends, does anyone have a tax accountant/CPA they can suggest?

We are pretty typical - dual income both from W-2s but with starting backdoor roths within the last few years and owning real estate, I get a bit nervous I could be missing something.
Wow I literally just came to the forum now looking to post asking for CPA advice and found this local chapter thread and your post looking for the same!

Not happy with my new CPA I started working with for 2018 taxes (didn’t know pro rata rule, gave false statements and completely wrong information on numerous topics). I don’t know where to get recommended to a good CPA and since I’ve learned more about finance from this community then anywhere else figured I’d start here!

I’d like to get on the distribution list for the meetups as well.
Topic Author
siamond

Post by siamond »

BergeronsBuddies wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:27 pm Hi Friends, does anyone have a tax accountant/CPA they can suggest?
Grahamhead wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:03 pmI don’t know where to get recommended to a good CPA and since I’ve learned more about finance from this community then anywhere else figured I’d start here!
Hi there. This question has been asked before, but unfortunately didn't get a good answer. Fact is most of us are DIY type... Maybe come to our next meeting and ask the group, this might elicit a new answer, as some people are a little shy of posting here.
Topic Author
siamond

Post by siamond »

Roll call for our coming Metro-Boston meeting, please let me know (e-mail, PM, post) if you're coming, tentatively or committed. Further details communicated by e-mail.

- Saturday September 7th, from 1pm to 3:30pm (Lincoln Public Library, agenda centered on asset allocation)

Topic Author
siamond

Post by siamond »

Roll call for our coming Metro-Boston meeting, please let me know (e-mail, PM, post) if you're coming, tentatively or committed. Further details communicated by e-mail. If you are not already on my (e-)mailing list, please contact me via a private message.

=> Saturday September 7th, from 1pm to 3:30pm (Lincoln Public Library, agenda centered on asset allocation)

Committed:
siamond
yarden60 (+1)
anonymous
jenlinc2006
anonymous
anonymous
blackhawkfan
rpeebee
kjsammy
anonymous
moshe
zonto

Tentative:
Hillview
bonz
BostonButterfly (+1)
Topic Author
siamond

Post by siamond »

Updated roll call for our coming Metro-Boston meeting, please let me know (e-mail, PM, post) if you're coming, tentatively or committed. Further details communicated by e-mail. If you are not already on my (e-)mailing list, please contact me via a private message.

=> Saturday September 7th, from 1pm to 3:30pm (Lincoln Public Library, agenda centered on [personal] asset allocation)

Committed:
siamond
yarden60 (+1)
anonymous
jenlinc2006
anonymous
anonymous
blackhawkfan
rpeebee
kjsammy
anonymous
moshe
zonto
anonymous
dancul

Tentative:
Hillview
bonz
BostonButterfly (+1)
Topic Author
siamond

Post by siamond »

Updated roll call for our coming Metro-Boston meeting, please let me know (e-mail, PM, post) if you're coming, tentatively or committed. Further details communicated by e-mail. If you are not already on my (e-)mailing list, please contact me via a private message.

=> Saturday September 7th, from 1pm to 3:30pm (Lincoln Public Library, agenda centered on [personal] asset allocation)

Committed:
siamond
yarden60 (+1)
anonymous
jenlinc2006
anonymous
anonymous
blackhawkfan
rpeebee
kjsammy
anonymous
moshe