favorite bogleheads posts?

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Taylor Larimore

The ultimate compliment.

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Any post of Taylor that has nothing to do with finance, but just the wisdom he has developed over the many years of life. He has a way of conveying simple messages much the same way as Mr. Bogle, but still with profound meaning.
Staythecourse:

Being compared, in any way, with Mr. Bogle is the ultimate compliment.

Thank you and best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
Trevor

Re: favorite bogleheads posts?

Post by Trevor »

As a relatively new Boglehead, these threads are awesome! Thanks for the reading material, everyone :D
WWJD - What Would Jack Do?
HurdyGurdy

Post by HurdyGurdy »

This is a very good post of Nisiprius explaining how insurance products may create wealth, separate from the usual kinds (stocks and bonds).

http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... 0#p2185252
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

When to jump ship? by Reb Tevye.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
HurdyGurdy

Post by HurdyGurdy »

This one by Nisiprius, on choosing beginning and end points to compare funds:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=80065&newpost=2586 ... 0#p2584335
jdb

Post by jdb »

I am partial to "Best nose hair trimmer (Is this okay to ask?)"
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=145435
which of course was locked by LadyGeek. And one of great responses by livesoft,
"I think you are supposed to be plucking these hairs whenever you are out in the car and stopped at a stop light. At least that's what I see all the time".
obgyn65

Post by obgyn65 »

I like posts discussing concepts related to "why keep playing when you have won the game?" And similar topics. Also discussions about SWR with very conservative, long term variables. Finally, the net worth survey results.
"The two most important days in someone's life are the day that they are born and the day they discover why." -John Maxwell
bowtie

Post by bowtie »

Threads that discuss posters' life experiences as they relate to one's priorities (such as our recent thread by that name, 'priorities,'), choices as to whether to move or to stay in retirement and why, characteristics of various places where people live and why they love it there, etc. Posters are very thoughtful and give advice that has some substance and perspective to it......
Jaekn

Post by Jaekn »

Here's a classic: viewtopic.php?t=5934

One man's massive leverage strategy right before the brink of the 2008/2009 Market Crash. This is a 29 page classic and very interesting. I think parts of it are fictional, but there is a post from an admin that eventually confirmed at least some of the OPs initial claims.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ The link in human readable format: A different approach to asset allocation

Yes, it's a classic. I've referred to that thread many times as a lesson on market timing.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
longinvest

Post by longinvest »

Here's an awesome post by Nisiprius that had a deep and lasting impact on me*.

Stocks vs Bonds???

It helped me to start understanding the relation between total return, distributions, and NAV variations of a high-quality aggregate bond fund.

* I discovered it a little more than two years ago when searching the forums to learn more about bonds.
Variable Percentage Withdrawal (bogleheads.org/wiki/VPW) | One-Fund Portfolio (bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=287967)
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

I enjoyed the exchange where a behavioral finance "expert" chastised a chauvinistic male poster only to find out that she was lecturing a woman.
midmoder

Post by midmoder »

This thread had me enthralled one weekend. It was eventually locked, but was a fascinating read while it lasted.

Quitting job and starting law school in the Fall - help!
viewtopic.php?t=112751
Taylor Larimore

Lady Geek

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Bogleheads:

No one, deserves more credit for outstanding posts than the unsung heroes who post on the Boglehead wiki and have made it the best financial wiki on the internet.

My personal vote goes to Lady Geek whose work behind the scene, and her valuable posts on the wiki and on the forum, make her a leader in Mr. Bogle's Crusade "to give ordinary investors a fair shake."

Thank you, Lady Geek!

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

BostonBoy wrote:
Riprap wrote:Just about anything by The Munchkin Man.
+1
+2
gvsucavie03

Post by gvsucavie03 »

Any time Livesoft tells someone to look something up on Google....
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

Where is livesoft? He hasn't been around lately.
Gordon
smegal

Post by smegal »

I second :
Taylor's response to a "Why not 100% stocks" thread...

Taylor Larimore| 09-28-00

Our family owned "Larimore's Diner" in Foxboro, Mass. in 1929. I was 5 years old and remember. When the depression hit, we lost the Diner and moved into my grandfather's home in Miami. Grandfather, who was an investor and chief executive of an investment trust company, lost everything--including the Miami home we lived in.

These figures show what a REAL bear market is like:

BEAR MARKET OF 1929-1937 (Dow plunged 89%)
-1929--1930--1931--1932
(-31%)(-25%)(-43%)(-08%) Large Cap Stocks
(-34%)(-35%)(-47%)(-06%) Mid/Small Cap Stocks
(-47%)(-38%)(-50%)(-05%) Micro Cap Stocks

(+04%)(+07%)(-02%)(+09%) 5-Year Treasury Bonds

BEAR MARKET OF 1973-1976 (S&P fell 43%)
-1973--1974
(-15%)(-26%) Large Caps
(-39%)(-29%) Micro Caps

---(-70%) Coca-Cola
---(-82%) Intel
---(-73%) McDonald's
---(-86%) Merrill Lynch
---(-86%) Walt Disney
---(-71%) Xerox

Figures cannot convey the horrifying and debilitating effects of a bear market. You watch in agony as month after month your life savings evaporate before your eyes. Gloom and doom talk is everywhere. Nearly everyone else is selling. You have no idea when, or if, your portfolio will stop losing money.

Your friends and relatives urge you to sell. Nearly all financial experts recommend "sell". You are ridiculed for trying to hold on. You begin to have self-doubt. Dispair sets in. Buying stocks is unthinkable. Suicide's increase. That's a REAL bear market.

Now you understand why very few "old-timers" are 100% in stocks.

Best wishes.
Taylor
I do not have the long term perspective of Taylor but this post really hits home for me after going through 2008. For younger investors who have not gone through a major crash, make sure your assett allocation matches your risk tolerance. Possibly even more importantly, make sure it matches your spouses risk tolerance.

Thank you Taylor.
gvsucavie03

Post by gvsucavie03 »

smegal wrote:I second :
Taylor's response to a "Why not 100% stocks" thread...

Our family owned "Larimore's Diner" in Foxboro, Mass. in 1929. I was 5 years old and remember. When the depression hit, we lost the Diner and moved into my grandfather's home in Miami. Grandfather, who was an investor and chief executive of an investment trust company, lost everything--including the Miami home we lived in.

-1929--1930--1931--1932

-1973--1974
(-15%)(-26%) Large Caps
(-39%)(-29%) Micro Caps

---(-70%) Coca-Cola
---(-82%) Intel
---(-73%) McDonald's
---(-86%) Merrill Lynch
---(-86%) Walt Disney
---(-71%) Xerox

Figures cannot convey the horrifying and debilitating effects of a bear market. You watch in agony as month after month your life savings evaporate before your eyes. Gloom and doom talk is everywhere. Nearly everyone else is selling. You have no idea when, or if, your portfolio will stop losing money.

Your friends and relatives urge you to sell. Nearly all financial experts recommend "sell". You are ridiculed for trying to hold on. You begin to have self-doubt. Dispair sets in. Buying stocks is unthinkable. Suicide's increase. That's a REAL bear market.

Best wishes.
Taylor
I do not have the long term perspective of Taylor but this post really hits home for me after going through 2008. For younger investors who have not gone through a major crash, make sure your assett allocation matches your risk tolerance. Possibly even more importantly, make sure it matches your spouses risk tolerance.

Thank you Taylor.
I remember reading this during the 100% stock hype a few years ago. Such wisdom for us young whipper-snappers :wink:
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Lady Geek

Post by LadyGeek »

Taylor Larimore wrote:Bogleheads:

No one, deserves more credit for outstanding posts than the unsung heroes who post on the Boglehead wiki and have made it the best financial wiki on the internet.

My personal vote goes to Lady Geek whose work behind the scene, and her valuable posts on the wiki and on the forum, make her a leader in Mr. Bogle's Crusade "to give ordinary investors a fair shake."

Thank you, Lady Geek!

Best wishes.
Taylor
Thank you. Anyone can discover the wiki's "unsung heroes" by clicking on the "View history" tab which is at the top-right corner of every wiki article.* If you have a favorite article, click on the tab and see who contributed. You'll often find several wiki editors have worked on it.

* FYI - We use the same software as Wikipedia; you'll find the same "View history" tab there.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
xystici

Post by xystici »

Steps to Building Wealth from Gekko posted on Sep. 3, 2007

This was one of the first posts I read when I joined this forum. It has tons of great advice. Unfortunately, Gekko's is not as active in this forum as he used to be. I keep a copy of his post which I like to read from time to time.
Trust yourself, Break the rules, Don't be afraid to fail, Don't listen to naysayers, Work your butt off. "It is in your moments of decision that your destiny is shaped. Choose now and well"
Pizzasteve510

Post by Pizzasteve510 »

Sunny Sarkar wrote:Taylor's response to a "Why not 100% stocks" thread...

-1929--1930--1931--1932

-1973--1974
(-15%)(-26%) Large Caps
(-39%)(-29%) Micro Caps

---(-70%) Coca-Cola
---(-82%) Intel
---(-73%) McDonald's
---(-86%) Merrill Lynch
---(-86%) Walt Disney
---(-71%) Xerox

Best wishes.
Taylor
Glad you reported this, as I never read the original. Around the same time as the first crash an ancestor lost everything (was effectively 100% real estate...logging co with leverage) to the bank. He and his wife controlled about half of what is now one of America's hottest small city real estate markets. During black swans, it's not just equities that hold risk. Something for those folks who want to diversify via real estate that are using debt.

P.S. I also love the best new SF books and best beer threads.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Here are 2 of my favorites, from Jack Bogle - yes, THE Jack Bogle!

"Bogleheads X - The Best!" - Jack Bogle's thank you to the Bogleheads for the 2011 Conference.
His advice - "A lot will happen in the coming twelve months. It's a perilous world out there, so get your asset allocation right - for you - and then just Stay the Course."
www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=84344

"Jack Bogle's Message to BH: Two Birthdays!" - celebrating his "heart birthday" and the Bogleheads.org 5th birthday, 2012.
www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=91163
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

A most eloquent parody of the news media reactions to the US Fed's interest rate announcement. Subject: Janet Yellen (Fed) leaves interest rates unchanged
nisiprius wrote:And in todays news, stocks soared on expectations that nothing would happen, then plunged on news that nothing happened.

We interviewed Lemuel Gulliver, head of research at Nisiprius Investments for his take on this.

"Our research department was expecting nothing to happen, but we underestimated the actual degree to which nothing happened. I mean, it was really nothing. Nada. Zero. Zip. Zilch. Nil. Expecting nothing to happen, the market was stunned when those expectations were fulfilled, and reacted to nothing with something. The market then surprised itself by its own reaction, and then reacted to its reaction so that overall, the reaction was nothing. Now we will wait to see how Asian markets react to this lack of reaction, so that we can forecast the U.S. market's reaction to the Asian reaction."
sambb

Post by sambb »

I find the most memorable are "thread locked" as it exemplefies the efforts of the moderators who do such a great job keeping everyone on point. To me, these posts are more important than anything else, as they set rules and order.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

On behalf of the Mods and other Admins, I'd like to say thanks for the kind words. It's always nice to hear that our work is both helpful and appreciated.
HurdyGurdy

Post by HurdyGurdy »

A very nice post by iceport at Re: "Is Active Investing Performance Chasing?".
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

I'd like to acknowledge the many helpful posts made by #cruncher and thank him/her for contributing so much solid information to the Bogleheads Community.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
mbk734

Post by mbk734 »

Lots of favorite posts. Leveraging everything right before 2008 was a good read on market timing. Larry Swedroe is always interesting. Is there any way to see threads ranked by number of posts or views?
You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

You can see threads ranked by number of posts. See: Saving sort prefs

If that doesn't answer your question, bump the thread or start a new one in the Forum Issues and Administration forum.
David Jay

Post by David Jay »

I like anything with "...did I make the right choice..." in the title.

Why ask after-the-fact?
It's not an engineering problem - Hersh Shefrin | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

I hate the titles that read "Talk Me Out of ..."

My immediate reaction is always to say "NO! You're not the boss of me!" :D
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
CoAndy

Post by CoAndy »

I would like to send a shout out to my "neighbor" the east, Homer. Would love to sit on his deck at his new lake condo and enjoy a couple cold beers (Bud Light of course). :sharebeer
pingo

Post by pingo »

Nisi's refreshing lemonade analogy was the first thing that came to my mind.

:beer
Topic Author
random_walker_77

Post by random_walker_77 »

Thank you everyone for the wonderful reading references.

I really like Gekko's A Note to my Future Self: viewtopic.php?t=31483#p382153

And this post (and ensuing thread) opened my eye to how quickly the investing community can forget, as new investors enter the workforce: "How bad was was 2008, really?" viewtopic.php?f=10&t=207809#p3186855
Minty

Post by Minty »

Core Four w/ nominal bonds & TIPS. Refi Rampage: Purchase: 3.875% 30 -> R1 3% 20 -> R2 2.375% 15 -> R3 1.99% 15 -> R4 1.875% 15
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

I love reading posts from people about my age that indicate they have less income or assets than I have. It makes me feel good. I love to read these.
It naturally follows that I dislike posts that indicate they have more of the same than I have. This makes me feel bad.
Compound

Post by Compound »

pingo wrote:Nisi's refreshing lemonade analogy was the first thing that came to my mind.

Wow! Hadn't seen that one before. So so so good. Nisiprius -- I wish there was an applause emoji to celebrate you. Instead, I will just have to use the lemonade one:
gvsucavie03

Post by gvsucavie03 »

Compound wrote:
pingo wrote:Nisi's refreshing lemonade analogy was the first thing that came to my mind.

Wow! Hadn't seen that one before. So so so good. Nisiprius -- I wish there was an applause emoji to celebrate you. Instead, I will just have to use the lemonade one:
Very nice!
Five Scoop

Post by Five Scoop »

My favorite post has to be this one from JupiterJones in a thread about a girlfriend moving in with the OP.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=88063
JupiterJones wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:
davidfl wrote:Typically this would be a red flag for me except that she's very frugal, low maintenance, ...
I have her reading up on investing and personal finance...
I'm writing up a cohabitation agreement which she has agreed to sign.
Have you thought of writing a romance novel?

The wind swept over the moors as she gazed at the stark moon. She contemplated her aloneness, her emptiness. Until a hand touched her shoulder...

"Lord Beckworth!" she exclaimed, spinning around to face his chiseled features, "Why, I thought that you... that you..."

"That I had sailed for Australia with Miss Higgenpenny? Let's say I had a change of heart. I couldn't stay away from you! Your brown, sad eyes haunted me. As did your frugality and your low level of maintenance.

"Oh, but my thoughts were filled with memories of us as well!" she replied, "Our walks together. The dances we shared. The personal finance books we took turns reading from by candlelight."

Beckworth gently picked up her right hand and placed a folded piece of paper in it. "For you," he said quiety as he stared seeminly into her very essence.

"Is this....? Why, it is! A cohabitation agreement!" She clutched it to her heaving breast as tears of joy streamed down her face. "Let me just get a pen!"

JJ
Topic Author
random_walker_77

Five Scoop wrote:My favorite post has to be this one from JupiterJones in a thread about a girlfriend moving in with the OP.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=88063
JupiterJones wrote: The wind swept over the moors as she gazed at the stark moon. She contemplated her aloneness, her emptiness. Until a hand touched her shoulder...
Beckworth gently picked up her right hand and placed a folded piece of paper in it. "For you," he said quiety as he stared seeminly into her very essence.

"Is this....? Why, it is! A cohabitation agreement!" She clutched it to her heaving breast as tears of joy streamed down her face. "Let me just get a pen!"

JJ
That post is quite memorable. (You're the second in the thread to point to this one. Ladygeek linked to it on the first page of this thread, which is where I first got to see this. Direct link to this post in that thread: viewtopic.php?p=1265568#p1265568)

Please keep these coming! I really appreciate all the links to these great posts
Topic Author
random_walker_77

I really liked this one on buying at market peaks. World's worst market timer
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Taylor - on TIPs, Total Bond Market, or Both?
Taylor Larimore wrote:
abuss368 wrote:Hopefully Taylor will see this post and provide his perspective.
abuss368:

I have worked in two government agencies that issue bonds so I am familiar with bonds. Bonds are extremely complex. It is one of those things that the more you know the more you realize you don't know.

I recall my first visit to Shearson-Lehman in New York City where I went to sign closing documents for a large municipal bond issue by our Miami Dade County Housing Authority. The S-L executives gave me a tour of their "bond room." I was awed to see about 100 highly skilled bond professionals, focused on their computers, seeking the slightest advantage to purchase and sell bonds on hundreds of world-wide exchanges.

One of my take-a-ways was that bonds are extremely efficient and very difficult to chose one bond fund over another. It is why experts seldom agree on the "best" bonds or bond funds (which are issued in hundreds of permutations). Any increase in expected return is nearly always accompanied by an expected increase in risk. There is no "free-lunch" in the bond world (except diversification), which is one reason I selected Vanguard's very diversified Total Bond Market Index Fund for my favorite Three Fund Portfolio.

"ANY good quality, low cost, diversified, short- or intermediate-term bond fund will do the job of providing safety and income to a portfolio."

Stocks let us eat well. Bonds let us sleep well.

Abuss: That's my "perspective."

Best wishes
Taylor
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Miriam2 wrote:Taylor - on TIPs, Total Bond Market, or Both?
Taylor Larimore wrote:
abuss368 wrote:Hopefully Taylor will see this post and provide his perspective.
abuss368:

I have worked in two government agencies that issue bonds so I am familiar with bonds. Bonds are extremely complex. It is one of those things that the more you know the more you realize you don't know.

I recall my first visit to Shearson-Lehman in New York City where I went to sign closing documents for a large municipal bond issue by our Miami Dade County Housing Authority. The S-L executives gave me a tour of their "bond room." I was awed to see about 100 highly skilled bond professionals, focused on their computers, seeking the slightest advantage to purchase and sell bonds on hundreds of world-wide exchanges.

One of my take-a-ways was that bonds are extremely efficient and very difficult to chose one bond fund over another. It is why experts seldom agree on the "best" bonds or bond funds (which are issued in hundreds of permutations). Any increase in expected return is nearly always accompanied by an expected increase in risk. There is no "free-lunch" in the bond world (except diversification), which is one reason I selected Vanguard's very diversified Total Bond Market Index Fund for my favorite Three Fund Portfolio.

"ANY good quality, low cost, diversified, short- or intermediate-term bond fund will do the job of providing safety and income to a portfolio."

Stocks let us eat well. Bonds let us sleep well.

Abuss: That's my "perspective."

Best wishes
Taylor
Taylor sold his TIPS fund and now has Total Bond Index.

Keep investing simple.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Lou354

Post by Lou354 »

There have been some fine suggestions so far, to be sure. As long as we don't have to limit ourselves to 'serious, important'(TM) posts my list of favorites also includes stlutz's 'Final Definitive Thread' series.

Post by 123 »

Any post by Munchkin Man immediately got my attention for it's style. I always looked forward to his posts. Sadly he has not posted in quite some time.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
g$$

Post by g$$ »

LadyGeek wrote:I think you mean this one: A different approach to asset allocation
I love that thread. Someone could probably print it out, bind the pages, and sell it as a novel. So good.
roamin survivor

Post by roamin survivor »

For me, I have a lot of younger relatives, so this one has been helpful for giving the brats some context and financial start.

If I Knew Then What I Know Now
3504PIR

Post by 3504PIR »

Plan B thread. It is a good tool for self reflection.

viewtopic.php?t=33253
Last edited by 3504PIR on Tue May 09, 2017 4:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

123 wrote:Any post by Munchkin Man immediately got my attention for it's style. I always looked forward to his posts. Sadly he has not posted in quite some time.
+1.