favorite bogleheads posts?

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
random_walker_77

favorite bogleheads posts?

Post by random_walker_77 »

I just saw a great, if slightly-aged, post from nisiprius that is one of my new favorites. (http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... 1#p1918719)

I'm sure there are many great posts from the past that I've missed. Looking for a similar list, I saw a thread about creating a "Best of Bogleheads posts" but nothing came of that.

Does anyone have favorites they'd like to share? Please post links here.

(To get the link, just click on the post's title and then copy out the url. You can also click on the tiny symbol at the top of the post, just to the left of where it says "by <author>")

[edit: add cross-link to thread of favorite boglehead quotes: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=98118&newpost=4529599
link to thread of favorite threads: viewtopic.php?t=238469
]
Last edited by random_walker_77 on Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ObliviousInvestor

Re: favorite bogleheads posts?

Post by ObliviousInvestor »

random_walker_77 wrote:Does anyone have favorites they'd like to share? Please post links here.
Also from nisiprius: "A time to EVALUATE your jitters." Almost 3 years old now. I still refer people to it via email on a regular basis.
http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=79939
Mike Piper | Roth is a name, not an acronym. If you type ROTH, you're just yelling about retirement accounts.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

I nominate Taylor Larimore's post, Safe Withdrawal Rates ? Complexity vs. Simplicity.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

LadyGeek's "This thread is locked." Multiple references.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

VictoriaF wrote:LadyGeek's "This thread is locked." Multiple references.

Victoria
Not only a LOL, but an actual belly laugh :D

Thanks.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
peppers

Post by peppers »

The locked threads by stlutz on DCA and Value
"..the cavalry ain't comin' kid, you're on your own..."
KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA »

The Boglehead beer thread. I've tried several new brews at the suggestion of others on that thread with good results.
Optimistic

Post by Optimistic »

Favorite post, thread, or post to start a thread? So far the responses have covered all 3.
John Z

Post by John Z »

I have to say by far the most useful and informative posts for me on this board were from bob90245 and his website which has been down for about 2 years: bob's financial website. He hasn't posted since then either. His website information was extremely helpful in guiding my wife and I into retirement. We retired a couple of months after he stopped posting and I had been printing large numbers of topics from his website so still have most of this retirement-related info. It is now common knowledge to us but at the time opened our eyes to sound decisions to make before and during retirement.
John
chaz

Post by chaz »

I like posts by Victoria.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
cfs

Post by cfs »

Rick and Larry.

My favorite post is any post from Rick Ferri and Larry Swedroe in which they teach the readers how to fish. And now to the other side of the coin, my least favorite post is any post in which other members try to discredit Rick Ferri or Larry Swedroe.

Thanks for reading.
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~
sosodan

Post by sosodan »

http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... 0#p1466867

This nisiprius' post on bonds was very influential for me.

I had always been 100% stocks, was becoming more boglehead-ish, had kinda decided having an allocation to bonds was right for me, but I couldn't bring myself to make the change because I kept telling myself:

"by golly, why did I have to start coming to my senses at the absolute worst time in history to buy bonds!...I know I should, but maybe I'll just wait a while until rates have gone up a bit (not sure what I meant by 'a bit') and then I'll do the right thing. I'll just wait out the coming inevitable pain that bondholders will face, sidestep the risk, and then, after the storm, maybe I'll go to a more sensible 80/20 allocation when the rate environment is safer"

This part of the post particularly struck a cord and helped me re-examine my thinking.
I think bonds will not do as well over the next thirty years as they did during the last thirty. So what? Suppose someone says "I don't think Walt Disney World is as good as it used to be," what do you do, take your 4-year old to a Wagner opera as a substitute? If you need Disney World, you need Disney World. If you need bonds, you need bonds.
A huge thanks to nisiprius and the many other folks here who are so generous in sharing their wisdom; as well as to those who make this resource available.
heyyou

Post by heyyou »

Bill Bernstein on a decade of commodities and futures funds:

http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... st=1893183
Riprap

Post by Riprap »

Just about anything by The Munchkin Man.
BostonBoy

Post by BostonBoy »

Riprap wrote:Just about anything by The Munchkin Man.
+1
sdsailing

Post by sdsailing »

Any thread with the words "Should I" and "leverage" in the title.
stlutz

Post by stlutz »

This nisiprius thread is my personal all-time favorite:

http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=83364
pcsrini

Post by pcsrini »

Thanks to all the great advice over the years but this one was very timely from Rick:

http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26284
RandomPointer

Post by RandomPointer »

I know you are asking for favorite posts, but this thread is currently my favorite thread.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Local Chapters and Bogleheads Community forum. Wait a second, it already is.

This one is on my list: Re: Girlfriend moving in, lots of student loan debt
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
camper

Post by camper »

seamonkey

Post by seamonkey »

The one about I-Bonds.
LAlearning

Post by LAlearning »

Anything with "NAV DROPPED" or "VALUE DROPPED ON MARKET HIGH." Caps usually always included.

They just make me smile.
I know nothing!
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

Thread:
Most underrated band of all time [that you listen to]?
http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... 1&t=102583

Plus any thread by some guy who keeps raving about how irresponsible his girl friend is, when it is pretty clear that he is the problem.
matjen

Post by matjen »

Robert T.'s monster post "Collected Thoughts" is my favorite post of all time. Even if you prefer to just go with a 3-Fund or with LIfeStrategy rather than any type of tilt this is still a great resource.

http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... f=1&t=7353
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.
Sunny Sarkar

Post by Sunny Sarkar »

Taylor's response to a "Why not 100% stocks" thread...
Taylor Larimore| 09-28-00

Our family owned "Larimore's Diner" in Foxboro, Mass. in 1929. I was 5 years old and remember. When the depression hit, we lost the Diner and moved into my grandfather's home in Miami. Grandfather, who was an investor and chief executive of an investment trust company, lost everything--including the Miami home we lived in.

These figures show what a REAL bear market is like:

BEAR MARKET OF 1929-1937 (Dow plunged 89%)
-1929--1930--1931--1932
(-31%)(-25%)(-43%)(-08%) Large Cap Stocks
(-34%)(-35%)(-47%)(-06%) Mid/Small Cap Stocks
(-47%)(-38%)(-50%)(-05%) Micro Cap Stocks

(+04%)(+07%)(-02%)(+09%) 5-Year Treasury Bonds

BEAR MARKET OF 1973-1976 (S&P fell 43%)
-1973--1974
(-15%)(-26%) Large Caps
(-39%)(-29%) Micro Caps

---(-70%) Coca-Cola
---(-82%) Intel
---(-73%) McDonald's
---(-86%) Merrill Lynch
---(-86%) Walt Disney
---(-71%) Xerox

Figures cannot convey the horrifying and debilitating effects of a bear market. You watch in agony as month after month your life savings evaporate before your eyes. Gloom and doom talk is everywhere. Nearly everyone else is selling. You have no idea when, or if, your portfolio will stop losing money.

Your friends and relatives urge you to sell. Nearly all financial experts recommend "sell". You are ridiculed for trying to hold on. You begin to have self-doubt. Dispair sets in. Buying stocks is unthinkable. Suicide's increase. That's a REAL bear market.

Now you understand why very few "old-timers" are 100% in stocks.

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Buy-and-hold, long-term, all-market-index strategies, implemented at rock-bottom cost, are the surest of all routes to the accumulation of wealth" - John C. Bogle
Sunny Sarkar

Post by Sunny Sarkar »

Order of importance...
Steve Dunn | 12-18-2005

In order of priority, I would list what is important in the following order of priority:

1. How much you earn (the value of your human capital).

2. An intelligent insurance program.

3. Your savings rate.

4. Your allocation to stocks versus bonds.
"Buy-and-hold, long-term, all-market-index strategies, implemented at rock-bottom cost, are the surest of all routes to the accumulation of wealth" - John C. Bogle
Sunny Sarkar

Post by Sunny Sarkar »

John Norstad's great asset allocation calculator...
John Norstad | March 2004

I have indeed found a great asset allocation calculator. It uses MPT and all the other modern models like Fama-French. It uses a huge database of expert analyst's estimates of correlations and expected returns and standard deviations and all the other information available on the entire planet. It actually runs on an analog computer (not digital). It uses the latest state-of-the-art neural network and artificial intelligence algorithms. It always produces extremely reasonable asset allocation percentages for any and all possible assets and asset classes. Anyone can easily use the calculator. It's free.

It's called the market.
Longtimelurker

Post by Longtimelurker »

Any post from Longtimelurker. Brilliant guy. I agree with everything he has posted.
Stay the course. If you can't resist greed, and fear is proven to be 2x as strong, you are doomed as an investor.
Sunny Sarkar

Post by Sunny Sarkar »

Bill Bernstein on the value effect...
Is there a value effect? Personally, I think the answer is yes. But there are some very smart people who disagree, one of whom is named Bogle. You quickly learn that when you disagree with the Sage of Valley Forge, you usually wind up cleaning egg off your face.
wilson08

Post by wilson08 »

Every January I like the updated Backtest-Portfolio returns.
Originally started as Simba's backtesting spreadsheets.

Wilson
lhl12

Post by lhl12 »

LadyGeek wrote:This thread is now in the Local Chapters and Bogleheads Community forum. Wait a second, it already is.

This one is on my list: Re: Girlfriend moving in, lots of student loan debt
OMG - I never saw this before now. This is hysterical. I wonder what happened to the two of them? I'd give long odds that they no longer speak...
matjen

Post by matjen »

Longtimelurker wrote:Any post from Longtimelurker. Brilliant guy. I agree with everything he has posted.
Well played! :sharebeer
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.
MP1233

Post by MP1233 »

John Z wrote:I have to say by far the most useful and informative posts for me on this board were from bob90245 and his website which has been down for about 2 years: bob's financial website. He hasn't posted since then either. His website information was extremely helpful in guiding my wife and I into retirement. We retired a couple of months after he stopped posting and I had been printing large numbers of topics from his website so still have most of this retirement-related info. It is now common knowledge to us but at the time opened our eyes to sound decisions to make before and during retirement.
John
I agree. I visited Bob's website almost every week. I loved his 4% withdrawal posts that were updated at the beginning of every year.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

When a member is worried what others think of them, Taylor Larimore puts this in the right perspective. Subject: How to get over finance envy
Taylor Larimore wrote:Paddington:

At age 89, I have traveled a long road and observed a few things:

In general, there are two kinds of people:

"Outer-directed" who spend their lives trying to impress others.
"Inner-directed" who achieve peace of mind.

There will always be people with more then we have, and many people with less. Try to accept that fact and focus on being comfortable with who you are.

Best wishes.
Taylor

"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
Update: Added signature.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

lhl12 wrote: I'd give long odds that they no longer speak...
Speak? Probably text. Not long ago we spotted a young couple in a restaurant, pretty obviously on a date. Both were texting away while waiting for their meal to be served. Probably a 50/50 chance they were texting to each other.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

LadyGeek wrote:When a member is worried what others think of them, Taylor Larimore puts this in the right perspective. Subject: How to get over finance envy
Taylor Larimore wrote:Paddington:

At age 89, I have traveled a long road and observed a few things:

In general, there are two kinds of people:

"Outer-directed" who spend their lives trying to impress others.
"Inner-directed" who achieve peace of mind.

There will always be people with more then we have, and many people with less. Try to accept that fact and focus on being comfortable with who you are.

Best wishes.
Taylor
Agree! But there's just on thing missing - Taylor's signature: "The Majesty of Simplicity."
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Thanks, I fixed it.
parsi1

Post by parsi1 »

My all time favorite "The Three Fund Portfolio" by Mr. Taylor Larimore. It was an eye opener for me when I was deciding on an asset allocation. It taught me that more complicated doesn't mean better.
Thanks
clearwater

Post by clearwater »

What? You say you don't know what time it is?

Paging Petrocelli.

:)

http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... 11&t=27707

Edited to add: In all seriousness, Taylor's "Three Fund Portfolio" postings win hands down for the best thing I've ever read on any finance site, anywhere, ever. That he faithfully introduces people to it with great charm, graciousness, and wisdom, makes it even more special. If the Bogleheads database got wiped out, I would hope the very first post is Taylor introducing the Three Fund Portfolio.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

MP1233 wrote:
John Z wrote:I have to say by far the most useful and informative posts for me on this board were from bob90245 and his website which has been down for about 2 years: bob's financial website. He hasn't posted since then either. His website information was extremely helpful in guiding my wife and I into retirement. We retired a couple of months after he stopped posting and I had been printing large numbers of topics from his website so still have most of this retirement-related info. It is now common knowledge to us but at the time opened our eyes to sound decisions to make before and during retirement.
John
I agree. I visited Bob's website almost every week. I loved his 4% withdrawal posts that were updated at the beginning of every year.
I agree, and I'm very sorry that apparently nobody has yet been able to find out what happened. That was the best collection of materials on withdrawals. I assume of course that he's passed away, but I wish someone could tell any surviving family what a great contribution it was... AND see if it's possible to get any of it back online (I know about the Wayback Machine, but it's balky and doesn't archive pictures and files--or does so unreliably).
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

At the time, we did send an email to the address on record requesting information. There was no reply. For an anonymous internet forum, that's the most we should do.
Taylor Larimore

Bob's Financial Website

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Bogleheads:

Below is a link to the discontinued Bob's Financial Website:

http://web.archive.org/web/201102080640 ... bsite.com/

Good financial advice withstands the test of time.

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
nisiprius
Advisory Board

Post by nisiprius »

LadyGeek wrote:At the time, we did send an email to the address on record requesting information. There was no reply. For an anonymous internet forum, that's the most we should do.
I agree, I understand, and didn't mean to be critical. I'm just sad about it.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Nisiprius, there's an entire thread for one of your posts: Ode to Nisiprius, investing, AA, and, other life choices.
grap0013

Post by grap0013 »

peppers wrote:The locked threads by stlutz on DCA and Value
Here's stlutz on small cap value: http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... 10&t=96441 I link this thread a couple of times per year and every time I reread it I still laugh. Hilarious!

TrevH's slices is my second favorite: http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=38374
There are no guarantees, only probabilities.
forkhorn

Post by forkhorn »

The best thread I'm aware of on this forum (not that I've read them all) was the one by market timer called something like "mortgage your retirement". It should be required reading for anyone who has a plan to trade on margin. In well over 1k posts, it chronicles a fascinating crash and burn story.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I think you mean this one: A different approach to asset allocation
michaelsieg

Post by michaelsieg »

Matjen wrote:
Robert T.'s monster post "Collected Thoughts" is my favorite post of all time. Even if you prefer to just go with a 3-Fund or with LIfeStrategy rather than any type of tilt this is still a great resource.
Same here, there are great discussions and much to learn (for me) on this post. I also appreciate, that he updates the post/links periodically
staythecourse

Post by staythecourse »

1. Any post of Taylor that has nothing to do with finance, but just the wisdom he has developed over the many years of life. He has a way of conveying simple messages much the same way as Mr. Bogle, but still with profound meaning.

2. Don't remember the thread, but believe it was from nisiprius about keeping cool following the market plummet following the downgrade of the U.S. credit rating several years ago.

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle