Master thread for Washington DC Area Bogleheads

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
bobcat2

Re: Master thread for Washington DC Area Bogleheads

Post by bobcat2 »

The next meeting of DC Bogleheads will be this coming Sunday, January 20, from 2:30-4:30 in meeting room #2 of the Silver Spring library. David Grabiner will be making a presentation on charitable giving and I will be giving a short presentation on one of my favorite reports about the personal financial status of American families.

Our meeting will be in meeting room #2 of the Silver Spring Library, 900 Wayne Ave, Silver Spring, MD 20910.

The library is a short walk from the Silver Spring station on the Metro Red Line. Take the "South side Colesville Road" exit from the Metro station, turn right, then right on Wayne Avenue (walking around the bus depot), and go five blocks to Fenton Street; the library is on the right.

Parking garages in downtown Silver Spring are free on Sundays. The closest garage is at Wayne and Fenton, diagonally across from the library.

BobK
In finance risk is defined as uncertainty that is consequential (nontrivial). | The two main methods of dealing with financial risk are the matching of assets to goals & diversifying.
Scotttheking

Post by Scotttheking »

bobcat2 wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:32 pm The next meeting of DC Bogleheads will be this coming Sunday, January 20, from 2:30-4:30 in meeting room #2 of the Silver Spring library. David Grabiner will be making a presentation on charitable giving and I will be giving a short presentation on one of my favorite reports about the personal financial status of American families.

Our meeting will be in meeting room #2 of the Silver Spring Library, 900 Wayne Ave, Silver Spring, MD 20910.

The library is a short walk from the Silver Spring station on the Metro Red Line. Take the "South side Colesville Road" exit from the Metro station, turn right, then right on Wayne Avenue (walking around the bus depot), and go five blocks to Fenton Street; the library is on the right.

Parking garages in downtown Silver Spring are free on Sundays. The closest garage is at Wayne and Fenton, diagonally across from the library.

BobK
Hmm, I am going to try to make this.
bobcat2

Post by bobcat2 »

Just a reminder that our next meeting is tomorrow, January 20, from 2:30-4:30 in meeting room #2 of the Silver Spring library. David Grabiner will be making a presentation on charitable giving and I will be giving a brief presentation on the benefits and costs of Social Security and Medicare.

We will be in meeting room #2 of the Silver Spring Library, 900 Wayne Ave, Silver Spring, MD 20910.

BobK
In finance risk is defined as uncertainty that is consequential (nontrivial). | The two main methods of dealing with financial risk are the matching of assets to goals & diversifying.
SGM

Post by SGM »

I will try to make the meeting as the weather up north has interfered with prior plans.
Topic Author
grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner »

bobcat2 wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:26 pm We will be in meeting room #2 of the Silver Spring Library, 900 Wayne Ave, Silver Spring, MD 20910.
Minor correction; we will be in room #1.
Wiki David Grabiner
RicoRico

Post by RicoRico »

Hello, I reside in Alexandria and would love to attend the next DC meeting. How do I get on the list?
furwut

Post by furwut »

RicoRico wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:53 pm Hello, I reside in Alexandria and would love to attend the next DC meeting. How do I get on the list?
I’ve been to a few of the meetings. They are announced here on this thread a week or so in advance. The meetings are open to all and occur, I think, every other month. To best watch this thread click the wrench icon at the bottom and subscribe. I think then you’ll get a notification anytime someone posts to it.

See you soon :sharebeer
SGM

Post by SGM »

I just received notice of "Money Smart Week" at the Arlington Central Library: Meet with the Financial Pros" from SEC, FNRA, FDIC, AARP, AAII and others. Saturday April 6th 10:30 am to 1:00 pm.

I don't know if DC BHs have a presence at the meeting. Likely some of the "Financial Pros" might be advisors looking for business. The SEC, FNRA and FDIC financial pros might be worth the visit.
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

grabiner wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:41 am
bobcat2 wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:26 pm We will be in meeting room #2 of the Silver Spring Library, 900 Wayne Ave, Silver Spring, MD 20910.
Minor correction; we will be in room #1.
Sorry I missed this. Are your slides from this meeting available?
cruzbay

Post by cruzbay »

Is there a meeting in March? Is the pattern still that the group meets on the 3rd Sunday of the odd numbered months?
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

cruzbay wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:46 pm Is there a meeting in March? Is the pattern still that the group meets on the 3rd Sunday of the odd numbered months?
Yes, there will be a meeting on Sunday March 17, 2019, according to the first post at the top of this thread, which has been edited 43 times and was last updated in January of this year with details of the March 2019 meeting.
cruzbay

Post by cruzbay »

dodecahedron wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:51 pm
cruzbay wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:46 pm Is there a meeting in March? Is the pattern still that the group meets on the 3rd Sunday of the odd numbered months?
Yes, there will be a meeting on Sunday March 17, 2019, according to the first post at the top of this thread, which has been edited 43 times and was last updated in January of this year with details of the March 2019 meeting.
Excellent! Thanks so much. Now I know to look at that top post.
gtd98765

Post by gtd98765 »

dodecahedron wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:51 pm
Is there an agenda available?
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

I'm hoping to attend the March 17 meeting.
bobcat2

Post by bobcat2 »

Our next meeting will be this coming Sunday, March 17 from 3:00-5:00, in the second floor meeting room at the Arlington, VA Central Library, 1015 N. Quincy Street, Arlington, VA 22201. We have the room reserved until 5:30, so we can run over a little if need be. Note the projector in the room is not working therefore any presentation materials will need to be done by handout.

The library is between the Virginia Square and Ballston stations on the Metro Orange Line. From Virginia Square, walk four blocks west (left, away from Washington) on Fairfax Drive, turn right on N. Quincy, and go one block to the library. From Ballston, walk three blocks east (right, towards Washington) on Fairfax Drive, turn left on N. Quincy, and go one block to the library. The library is on the east side of N. Quincy Street. The second floor meeting room is on the south side of the library, just to the left of the glass enclosed quiet reading room. The library has a free parking lot for patrons behind the building and free parking in a garage below the building.

The meeting is open for general discussion. If you have a particular topic you would like to discuss you can post it here or bring it up at the meeting.

BobK
Arl Lib Stk Tlks

Post by Arl Lib Stk Tlks »

The Washington Checkbook had an article in its Winter/Spring 2019 issue of Update where Checkbook employees had accounts with 10 Financial institutions that included links in emails to the employees that led to pages that requested login information. Of the 10 only 3 responded to inquiries about their practices. One of those respondents was Vanguard which said it required two-factor authentication to get into the account. Checkbook though pointed out though that this defense can be defeated. There was one case one investor notified Checkbook that identity thieves lured him to a bogus login page & captured his credentials. They used those credentials to log in to the victim's account, which triggered the sending of an authentication code to the investor's phone, which the crooks tricked him into revealing. Vanguard's second defense is voice verification but Checkbook observed that was optional which they implied was not sound.

The Checkbook piece on scams may be worth discussing especially if some who attend have read the piece & may have have additional insights to share.

I do plan to alert attendees to a regular investing session held in the same room on the day before the scheduled meeting so some of that group may also attend the Sunday session.
SGM

Post by SGM »

Unfortunately I have previous plans to spend St. Patrick's day afternoon with friends watching a show at NVCC in Annandale same time as the meeting. The Tamburitzans are a college group of dancers and musicians that we have supported and watched for years.
spboglenewbi

Post by spboglenewbi »

The DC Chapter of BetterInvesting will be hosting a Smart Money week program on Saturday, April 6th, 2019 at the Arlington Central Library from 10:30 am to 2 pm.

We are having representatives from the Security and Exchange Commission, FDIC, FINRA, AARP, Credit Unions, Arlington County, Arlington Library, AAII, and BetterInvesting at a public open house. Topics will include investor education, avoiding scams, fraud and ID theft, checking financial advisers, establishing a budget, starting a savings and emergency accounts, and library financial resources.

Attendees may move from table to table speaking to group representatives, asking questions and taking offered literature. Also, speakers from each group will take turns speaking from the stage about their programs and may show a live tour of their online resources via computer and projector.

Money Smart Week was initiated by the Federal Reserve of Chicago and is a free program whose mission is to educate about personal finance.

We are inviting personnel from .
bobcat2

Post by bobcat2 »

A reminder -

The DC Chapter of BetterInvesting will be hosting a Smart Money week program on Saturday, April 6th at the Arlington Central Library in Ballston from 10:30 am to 2 pm. The event will be in the auditorium at the north end of the library.

The program will have representatives from the Security and Exchange Commission, FDIC, FINRA, AARP, Credit Unions, Arlington County, Arlington Library, AAII, and BetterInvesting at a public open house. Topics will include investor education, avoiding scams, fraud and ID theft, checking financial advisers, establishing a budget, starting a savings and emergency accounts, and library financial resources.

Attendees may move from table to table speaking to group representatives, asking questions and taking offered literature. Also, speakers from each group will take turns speaking from the stage about their programs and may show a live tour of their online resources via computer and projector.

Money Smart Week was initiated by the Federal Reserve of Chicago and is a free program whose mission is to educate about personal finance.

I'll try to be there by noon and I believe Grabiner is going to try and be there earlier in the afternoon. This is an opportunity for Bogleheads to engage with other knowledgeable people and groups interested in personal finance issues.

The Arlington, VA Central Library is at 1015 N. Quincy Street, Arlington, VA 22201. The library is between the Virginia Square and Ballston stations on the Metro Orange Line one short block north of Fairfax Drive. If you are taking Metro then from Virginia Square, walk four blocks west (left, away from Washington) on Fairfax Drive, turn right on N. Quincy, and go one block to the library. From Ballston, walk three blocks east (right, towards Washington) on Fairfax Drive, turn left on N. Quincy, and go one block to the library. The library is on the east side of N. Quincy Street.

The library has a free parking lot for patrons behind the building and free parking in a garage below the building. Usually on weekends there are more parking spaces available in the garage than in the lot.

BobK
bobcat2

Post by bobcat2 »

Can retirement plans provide safe income? - Richard Thaler & Moshe Milevsky @ Brookings

On Thursday, April 18, the Retirement Security Project at Brookings (Washington, DC) will host an event to explore ways to create lifetime income for people with 401k type plans. Join Nobel laureate Richard Thaler, Moshe Milevsky, and several other noted experts as they discuss new Brookings research.

From the upcoming event blurb -
Lifetime income without annuities & Reducing key regulatory barriers to annuities in DC plans
Running out of money in retirement is one of Americans’ greatest financial fears. Converting retirement saving balances into reliable income is one of the most complex financial decisions people must make. Most 401k and similar plans are not structured to provide lifetime income. Can retirement plans be reformed to provide safe income for the duration of retirees’ lives?
Link to signup sheet - https://www.brookings.edu/events/can-re ... t=71722346

You can also signup for the webcast on the signup sheet. This is a free event. You simply have to register. There is, I believe, a parking garage across Mass Ave from Brookings.

BobK
bobcat2

Post by bobcat2 »

The next meeting of DC Bogleheads will be this coming Sunday, May 19, from 2:30-4:30 in the Silver Spring library.

Our meeting will be in meeting room #2 of the Silver Spring Library located at 900 Wayne Ave, Silver Spring, MD 20910.

The meeting is open for general discussion. If you have a particular topic you would like to discuss you can post it here or bring it up at the meeting.

BobK
bobcat2

Post by bobcat2 »

Our next meeting will be tomorrow Sunday, May 19, from 2:30-4:30 in the Silver Spring library located at 900 Wayne Ave, Silver Spring, MD 20910.

We'll be in meeting room #2 of the library. There will be a short discussion of historical stock and bond returns both globally and in the US. The rest of the meeting will be open for general discussion.

Parking garages in downtown Silver Spring are free on Sundays. The closest garage is at Wayne and Fenton, diagonally across Wayne Avenue from the library and about a 200 foot walk to the front door of the library on the corner of Wayne and Fenton.

BobK
Arl Lib Stk Tlks

I missed the notice about the May meeting. The slip-up prompts to wonder if there's any way I can reach the moderator of the DC chapter to find out how I could get a notice pushed to me rather then me having to pull it by looking in on this thread.
furwut

Post by furwut »

Arl Lib Stk Tlks wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 4:57 pm I missed the notice about the May meeting. The slip-up prompts to wonder if there's any way I can reach the moderator of the DC chapter to find out how I could get a notice pushed to me rather then me having to pull it by looking in on this thread.
You can subscribe to this thread. Then you’ll get an email anytime there is a new post. Click the wrench icon at the bottom.
Lindyhopper

Post by Lindyhopper »

Is there a schedule published in advance someplace?
furwut

Post by furwut »

Lindyhopper wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 5:46 am Is there a schedule published in advance someplace?
I think they are the 3rd Sunday of every odd numbered month (i.e., Jan, Mar, May, Jul, Sep, Nov). Recent meetings have been held either at the Arlington Central Library or the Silver Spring Library depending on availability.
Arl Lib Stk Tlks

furwut wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 5:56 pm
Arl Lib Stk Tlks wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 4:57 pm I missed the notice about the May meeting. The slip-up prompts to wonder if there's any way I can reach the moderator of the DC chapter to find out how I could get a notice pushed to me rather then me having to pull it by looking in on this thread.
You can subscribe to this thread. Then you’ll get an email anytime there is a new post. Click the wrench icon at the bottom.
I believe I'll be notified of new posts on this thread. Thanks for the direction on how to get notified. :happy
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Celebrating Alan Krueger’s work and impact on economic policy - with Ben S. Bernanke @ Brookings

Date/Time: Wednesday, Jun 26, 2019; 3:00 PM-5:00 PM EDT
Location: Brookings Institution, Falk Auditorium, 1775 Massachusetts Avenue N.W., Washington, DC 20036
Brookings wrote:Alan Krueger, a Princeton University labor economist and a former chairman of the White House Council of Economic Advisers, had a significant impact on American economic policy and economic research on issues ranging from the effect of higher minimum wages to the determinants of happiness to the origins of terrorism to the market for music. Krueger died in March 2019 at age 58.

On June 26, from 3 to 5 p.m., the Hutchins Center on Fiscal & Monetary Policy at Brookings and the Economic Policy Institute will celebrate Krueger’s work and its implications for current issues in economic policy. A reception will follow.
This is a free event. You simply have to register here: https://www.brookings.edu/events/celebr ... ic-policy/ . There seems to be a parking garage across Mass Ave from Brookings. Alternatively, you can sign for a webcast.

Depending on the interest, we could get together at one of the DuPont Circle area restaurants before the event. Two people, including me, have already registered.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
Arl Lib Stk Tlks

The Arlington County Library Stock Talks group had a virtual meeting yesterday & a number of callers asked about what was going on with the DC Bogleheads. I'm sure there are many of these callers who would like to know if a meeting of DC bogleheads is going to be occurring soon. Is there anything on tap in the near future? I think the last meeting was in March so I'm hopeful that something is in the wind.

Many of the Stock Talks group have attended a Bogleheads session & they have enjoyed meeting and seeing other Bogleheads at such sessions.
furwut

Post by furwut »

Arl Lib Stk Tlks wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:21 am The Arlington County Library Stock Talks group had a virtual meeting yesterday & a number of callers asked about what was going on with the DC Bogleheads. I'm sure there are many of these callers who would like to know if a meeting of DC bogleheads is going to be occurring soon. Is there anything on tap in the near future? I think the last meeting was in March so I'm hopeful that something is in the wind.

Many of the Stock Talks group have attended a Bogleheads session & they have enjoyed meeting and seeing other Bogleheads at such sessions.
The last meeting was May 19th. The next meeting should be Sunday, July 21st. About a week or so beforehand one of the organizers will usually post a reminder in this thread giving the time and location.
Arl Lib Stk Tlks

Thanks for advising of the scheduled date. I now recall there was a meeting in May so thanks for correcting my faulty memory. If its at the Arlington Central library I'm confident some in the Arl Cent Lib group will attend. Perhaps even a few in that group may attend if its held in Montgomery County.

:happy
bobcat2

Post by bobcat2 »

The next meeting of DC Bogleheads is scheduled for 3:00pm to 5:00pm Sunday, July 21, 2019 in the second floor meeting room of the Arlington Central Library in Ballston.

BobK
Arl Lib Stk Tlks

I ran into this guide to retirement that I've been given to understand is no longer hosted by the U S Vanguard site. I don't know why its been pulled from that venue but it remains on the Australian site. It seems to offer useful information so I thought I'd post the link here for anyone planning to come to the July meeting to have as a reference. I have alerted others who are on the Arl County Library Stock Talks listserv about the July meeting so some of them may be coming to the session as well as regular Bogleheads. I continue to receive favorable comments about your organization from recipients who have attended a meeting.

https://static.vgcontent.info/crp/intl/ ... 612|104905
bobcat2

Post by bobcat2 »

Our next meeting will be Sunday, July 21 from 3:00-5:00, in the second floor meeting room at the Arlington, VA Central Library, 1015 N. Quincy Street, Arlington, VA 22201. We have the room reserved until 5:30, so we can run over a little if need be. I believe it is still the case that the projector in the room is not working, therefore any presentation materials will need to be done by handout.

The library is between the Virginia Square and Ballston stations on the Metro Orange Line. From Virginia Square, walk four blocks west (left, away from Washington) on Fairfax Drive, turn right on N. Quincy, and go one block to the library. From Ballston, walk three blocks east (right, towards Washington) on Fairfax Drive, turn left on N. Quincy, and go one block to the library. The library is on the east side of N. Quincy Street. The second floor meeting room is on the south side of the library, just to the left of the glass enclosed quiet reading room. The library has a free parking lot for patrons behind the building and free parking in a garage below the building. The lot is often full on Sundays; the garage is never full.

The meeting is open for general discussion. If you have a particular topic you would like to discuss you can post it here or bring it up at the meeting. One topic that has come up when talking to local Bogleheads recently is whether Vanguard's pushing investors to move their accounts from mutual funds to etf's is a good idea.

BobK
bobcat2

Post by bobcat2 »

So far the items on the discussion list for our meeting this coming Sunday from 3-5 are the following.

- Vanguard financial planners are apparently encouraging clients to move from Vanguard mutual funds to equivalent Vanguard etfs. What are the pluses and minuses of etfs vis-a-vis mutual funds and are such exchanges worth doing?

- A couple of points about when and how to apply for Social Security benefits. More or less practical advice from Larry Kotlikoff and yours truly - advice that is empirical, not theoretical.

- A look at 21st century US stock returns - the good, the bad, & the meh.

BobK :wink:

PS - See the previous post in this thread for directions to the library.
bobcat2

Post by bobcat2 »

At last Sunday's meeting I went over an article by financial planner Scott Hanson in Kiplinger's magazine about Hanson's recommending that high income individuals take Social Security benefits at age 62 because it is highly likely that benefits for high income individuals will be cut in the near future. Here is a link to Hanson's article.
Link - https://www.kiplinger.com/article/retir ... -asap.html

I noted the article had been much criticized among members of an online group of investment experts I belong to in a series of email exchanges within the group. In particular at Sunday's meeting we went over criticisms of taking Social Security early by group members Rick Miller, Bob Merton, and Larry Kotlikoff.

This week another member of the group, Steve Vernon, has written 3 articles at Forbes criticizing the advice of taking Social Security early. While he doesn't mention Hanson by name, Hanson's article was the impetus for the articles. Here are links to Vernon's 3 rebuttal articles.

There aren’t that many good reasons to start Social Security very early
https://www.forbes.com/sites/steveverno ... cb7da6bea

Another take on starting Social Security benefits early (uses Larry Kotlikoff's analyses from his SS optimizer tool)
https://www.forbes.com/sites/steveverno ... 5a82214142

A bad reason to start Social Security benefits early (includes my reframing of the discredited break-even analysis, addresses the possibility that future benefits might be reduced)
https://www.forbes.com/sites/steveverno ... 4b2281644c

Best,
BobK
wonky

Post by wonky »

re: Post by bobcat2 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:00 pm
I read the original article on starting social Security early (62) and the 3 other articles critiquing it. The original article (Scott Hanson) spoke to federal income tax treatment of Social Security Benefits for High Earners (HEs gt $100K in income) which reduces HE folks net income from social security. Hanson assumes that taxes on SS benefits (for HEs) will rise over time (reducing net SS benefits) and that overall SS benefits will be reduced in the future. The 3 other articles demonstrate that waiting to collect social security increases total SS benefits; presumably this would be the same after taxes as well.

Social Security benefits are calculated using a progressive benefit formula--monthly benefits replace a higher proportion of preretirement earnings for people with lower earnings compared with those with higher earnings. Higher Earners also pay taxes on some of their benefits.
cresive

Post by cresive »

Hello,

I apologize if this is the incorrect form to request an invite, but I wrote to the posted email and my message was returned as undelivered. I have recently moved to the area and would like to join the local chapter. I have been active on the Bogleheads.org group, handle = cresive, and would love to find a group of like-minded individuals for in person discussions. Can the moderator or other officer please let me know how I can become a group member.

Thank you,
Ben Churn.
furwut

Post by furwut »

cresive wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:29 am Hello,

I apologize if this is the incorrect form to request an invite, but I wrote to the posted email and my message was returned as undelivered. I have recently moved to the area and would like to join the local chapter. I have been active on the Bogleheads.org group, handle = cresive, and would love to find a group of like-minded individuals for in person discussions. Can the moderator or other officer please let me know how I can become a group member.

Thank you,
Ben Churn.
Welcome to DC. Meetings are held the 3rd Sunday of every odd numbered month (i.e., Jan, Mar, May, Jul, Sep, Nov). Recent meetings have been either at the Arlington Central Library or Silver Spring Library depending on availability. They are open to all.

Usually a week or so before each meeting one of the organizers will post a reminder in this thread. You can subscribe or watch a thread by clicking the wrench icon. That way you’ll get an email message anytime a new post occurs.

Cheers.
cresive

Post by cresive »

furwut wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:19 pm
cresive wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:29 am Hello,

Thank you,
Ben Churn.
Welcome to DC. Meetings are held the 3rd Sunday of every odd numbered month (i.e., Jan, Mar, May, Jul, Sep, Nov). Recent meetings have been either at the Arlington Central Library or Silver Spring Library depending on availability. They are open to all.

Usually a week or so before each meeting one of the organizers will post a reminder in this thread. You can subscribe or watch a thread by clicking the wrench icon. That way you’ll get an email message anytime a new post occurs.

Cheers.

Thank you. I look forward to learning from the group.

Ben
bobcat2

Post by bobcat2 »

Our next meeting will be this coming Sunday, September 15, from 3-5 in the auditorium of the main Arlington County library in Ballston. David Grabiner will be making a presentation on how to think about the bond portion of your portfolio. I will be giving a short review on a new book that is a gentle introduction to risk in finance, which is, for better or worse, most of finance.

The library is between the Virginia Square and Ballston stations on the Metro Orange Line. From Virginia Square, walk four blocks west (left, away from Washington) on Fairfax Drive, turn right on N. Quincy, and go one block to the library. From Ballston, walk three blocks east (right, towards Washington) on Fairfax Drive, turn left on N. Quincy, and go one block to the library. The library is on the east side of N. Quincy Street. The auditorium is on the north side of the ground floor of the library above the parking garage. The library has a free parking lot for patrons behind the building and free parking in a garage below the building. The lot is often full on Sundays; the garage is never full. We have the auditorium booked until 5:30, so there will be plenty of time for discussion and we can run over the 5 PM time if people have lots of questions.

BobK
cresive

Post by cresive »

Bob,
I do a lot of travel with work and missed this interesting presentation. Please keep me on the invite list for the next meeting.

Thanks,
Ben
Arl Lib Stk Tlks

I got an email from Yahoo about advising of changes to its group policies and I was wondering if the change is going to effect this board. I like to get the updates on the meetings so losing this site would be unfortunate. Hopefully I'm confused on this and the notices will continue to get posted here so this more of a test then anything else. :happy
bobcat2

Post by bobcat2 »

Our next meeting will be this coming Sunday, November 17, from 4:00-6:00, in the auditorium of the Arlington Central Library in Ballston at 1015 N. Quincy Street, Arlington, VA 22201. We have the room reserved until 6:30, so we can run over a little if need be. The auditorium is located at the north end of the library on the ground floor.

The library is between the Virginia Square and Ballston stations on the Metro Orange Line. From Virginia Square, walk four blocks west (left, away from Washington) on Fairfax Drive, turn right on N. Quincy, and go one block to the library. From Ballston, walk three blocks east (right, towards Washington) on Fairfax Drive, turn left on N. Quincy, and go one block to the library. The library is on the east side of N. Quincy Street. The library has a free parking lot for patrons behind the building and free parking in a garage below the building.

BobK
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

bobcat2 wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:29 am If you have a particular topic you would like to discuss you can post it here or bring it up at the meeting.
Thank you, Bob,

I'd like to discuss people's experiences with FEHB health plans.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
bobcat2

Post by bobcat2 »

Just a reminder that today's DC Bogleheads meeting is in the auditorium of the Ballston library from 4:00 - 6:00.

BobK
behumble

Post by behumble »

grabiner wrote: Thu May 22, 2014 9:34 pm The next meeting of the DC Bogleheads will be Sunday, November 17, from 4:00-6:00, in the second floor meeting room at the Arlington, VA Central Library, 1015 N. Quincy Street, Arlington, VA 22201.

The library is between the Virginia Square and Ballston stations on the Metro Orange Line. From Virginia Square, walk four blocks west (left, away from Washington) on Fairfax Drive, turn right on N. Quincy, and go one block to the library. From Ballston, walk three blocks east (right, towards Washington) on Fairfax Drive, turn left on N. Quincy, and go one block to the library. The library is on the east side of N. Quincy Street. The library has a free parking lot for patrons behind the building and free parking in a garage below the building.

Our Email group is DCAreaDiehards@yahoogroups.com
Hello,

I was recently informed about this group and would like to know when the next meeting will be and what requirements, if any, there are to attend the meetings and/or join the local group?

Thank you

Behumble
bigmoney

Post by bigmoney »

behumble wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:25 pm
grabiner wrote: Thu May 22, 2014 9:34 pm The next meeting of the DC Bogleheads will be Sunday, November 17, from 4:00-6:00, in the second floor meeting room at the Arlington, VA Central Library, 1015 N. Quincy Street, Arlington, VA 22201.

Hello,

I was recently informed about this group and would like to know when the next meeting will be and what requirements, if any, there are to attend the meetings and/or join the local group?

Thank you

Behumble
Check the first post of this thread for details.
furwut

Post by furwut »

Hello,

Thank you

Behumble
Meetings are held the 3rd Sunday of every odd numbered month (i.e., Jan, Mar, May, Jul, Sep, Nov). Recent meetings have been either at the Arlington Central Library or Silver Spring Library depending on availability. They are open to all.

behumble

Post by behumble »

furwut wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:38 pm

Hello,

Thank you

Behumble
Meetings are held the 3rd Sunday of every odd numbered month (i.e., Jan, Mar, May, Jul, Sep, Nov). Recent meetings have been either at the Arlington Central Library or Silver Spring Library depending on availability. They are open to all.

Thank you.