Master thread for Washington DC Area Bogleheads

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
MarginalCost

Re: Master thread for Washington DC Area Bogleheads

Post by MarginalCost »

I'm looking to give recommendations to a friend looking to talk with an advisor in the DC area about college financial planning. The different types of savings accounts, managing tax strategies to maximize eligibility for aid, etc. Does anyone have any experience in this area?

Thanks!
bobcat2

Post by bobcat2 »

The Sunday Sept. 20 meeting from 3-5 will review some topics at the RRC annual meeting and a discussion of rebalancing after special expenditures, and college savings plans. The rest of the meeting at this pont is open forum. We have a reservation for Kapnos Taverna at 5:30.

BobK
In finance risk is defined as uncertainty that is consequential (nontrivial). | The two main methods of dealing with financial risk are the matching of assets to goals & diversifying.
bobcat2

Post by bobcat2 »

David G. won't be joining us today. At the first day of his two day bridge tournament yesterday, he qualified for the second day.
Congrats David. :beer

Although I've got to say I'm not the least bit surprised. :wink:

And good luck today. :thumbsup

Best,
Bob
In finance risk is defined as uncertainty that is consequential (nontrivial). | The two main methods of dealing with financial risk are the matching of assets to goals & diversifying.
Rager1

Post by Rager1 »

bobcat2 wrote:David G. won't be joining us today. At the first day of his two day bridge tournament yesterday, he qualified for the second day.

Although I've got to say I'm not the least bit surprised. :wink:

And good luck today. :thumbsup

Best,
Bob
Hi Bob,

I'm also not surprised that David is in the finals today! Good luck David and bring home a win.

Ed
Topic Author
grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner »

bobcat2 wrote:David G. won't be joining us today. At the first day of his two day bridge tournament yesterday, he qualified for the second day.
Sorry, no beer; I didn't win the last trick with the seven of diamonds.

I also didn't place among the overall leaders.
Wiki David Grabiner
Topic Author
grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner »

Our next meeting will be this coming Sunday, November 15, 3:00-5:00, in the second floor meeting room at the Arlington, VA Central Library, 1015 N. Quincy Street, Arlington, VA 22201. The second floor meeting room is on the south side of the library, just to the left of the glass enclosed quiet reading room. The library has a free parking lot for patrons behind the building and free parking in a garage below the building.

The library is between the Virginia Square and Ballston stations on the Metro Orange Line. From Virginia Square, walk four blocks west (left, away from Washington) on Fairfax Drive, turn right on N. Quincy, and go one block to the library. From Ballston, walk three blocks east (right, towards Washington) on Fairfax Drive, turn left on N. Quincy, and go one block to the library. The library is on the east side of N. Quincy Street.

David Grabiner will be giving a presentation on Taxes and Investing; slides will be Emailed.
Wiki David Grabiner
SGM

Post by SGM »

Are we meeting at the Arlington library on Sunday January 17? Any topics planned? Did you see Lydia and Victoria quoted in a Kiplinger article?
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

SGM wrote:Are we meeting at the Arlington library on Sunday January 17? Any topics planned? Did you see Lydia and Victoria quoted in a Kiplinger article?
If there is a movie based on the Kiplinger article Lydia and I shall star in it.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
bobcat2

Post by bobcat2 »

Our next meeting will be Sunday, January 17, 3:00-5:00, in the second floor meeting room at the Arlington, VA Central Library, 1015 N. Quincy Street, Arlington, VA 22201. The second floor meeting room is on the south side of the library, just to the left of the glass enclosed quiet reading room. The library has a free parking lot for patrons behind the building and free parking in a garage below the building.

The library is between the Virginia Square and Ballston stations on the Metro Orange Line. From Virginia Square, walk four blocks west (left, away from Washington) on Fairfax Drive, turn right on N. Quincy, and go one block to the library. From Ballston, walk three blocks east (right, towards Washington) on Fairfax Drive, turn left on N. Quincy, and go one block to the library. The library is on the east side of N. Quincy Street.

BobK
mouth

Post by mouth »

3-5? THREE to FIVE?!?!?!

Ugggg I have a soccer game at 4pm. :oops: [sigh] Maybe next odd month of the second blue moon.
bobcat2

Post by bobcat2 »

Something unexpected has come up at home this morning and I won't be attending the BH's meeting today.

BobK
DCCyber

Post by DCCyber »

Good Morning,

I just finished reading the BogleHeads Guide to Investing and read about the existence of the local chapters. I am local to Northern Virginia and I was wondering how to get involved.

Thank you for your time and help.
bobcat2

Next DC Bogleheads meeting is Sunday, April 10

Post by bobcat2 »

The next DC Bogleheads meeting is scheduled for Sunday, April 10, from 3-5 PM at the central Arlington library in Ballston.

Originally we were scheduled to meet elsewhere on Sunday March 20, but that location is undergoing repairs on that date. The earliest Sunday backup date available at the library once the alternative was unavailable was Sunday April 10.

BobK
bobcat2

Post by bobcat2 »

The next DC Bogleheads meeting is scheduled for Sunday, April 10, from 3-5 PM at the central Arlington library in Ballston, which is located at 1015 N. Quincy Street, Arlington, VA. The second floor meeting room is on the south side of the library, just to the left of the glass enclosed quiet reading room. The library has a free parking lot for patrons behind the building and free parking in a garage below the building.

I'll be giving a presentation on bond basics. It's possible we will have a guest speaker discussing highlights of his recent book.

BobK

PS - The guest author can't make it this week, he's attending a wedding, but has promised to try to make it to our next meeting.
bobcat2

Post by bobcat2 »

Last moment reminder. DC Bogleheads are meeting today from 3-5 in the Arlington Central library 2nd floor meeting room in Ballston. See previous post for directions and details.

BobK
angler

Post by angler »

Bob,

Can you upload your presentation about bond?

Thanks, Michael
bobcat2

Post by bobcat2 »

angler wrote:Bob,

Can you upload your presentation about bonds?

Thanks, Michael
I've uploaded the bond presentation to the DC Bogleheads site. It's in the files section of the site in the folder titled "Bond Basics". Most of the presentation is a Word document but there is also one Excel spreadsheet. The spreadsheet follows page 8 in the Word document. You need to sign into DC Bogleheads to access the files section. Here is a link to the DC Bogleheads site. To sign in you need to be a member of DC Bogleheads.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/DCA ... ards/files

I see that in messing around with the upload function I forgot to turn the default switch from "On" to "Off" about notifying DC Bogleheads when uploading files to the site. I apologize for the small blizzard of notification emails I then generated for members of DC Bogleheads. :(
Sorry. :(

BobK
Topic Author
grabiner
Advisory Board

May 2016 meeting will be rescheduled

Post by grabiner »

We were not able to get a location for our regular meeting date of May 15; we have not yet set a date for the rescheduled meeting.
Wiki David Grabiner
bobcat2

Post by bobcat2 »

Update for next meeting -

Once again we have been unable to secure an alternative location for our DC BHs meeting scheduled for Sunday, May 15.

Our next meeting is now tentatively scheduled for Sunday, June 19 at the Ballston library. This is the earliest open date we could secure for the library, once the alternative location fell through last week.

We may have a 2nd alternative location show up before the June 19 date. If it does, I will post about it, ASAP.

BobK
Federal Agent

Post by Federal Agent »

Just curious if June 19 is a "go" for the next meeting?
bobcat2

Post by bobcat2 »

Federal Agent wrote:Just curious if June 19 is a "go" for the next meeting?
We will be meeting Sunday June 19 from 3-5 in the second floor meeting room of the Ballston library.

There are only a few things on today’s agenda. The most important is a discussion of when & where we will be meeting in the future.

Here are links to things that will be touched on at the meeting.

Link to registration and agenda for Social Security Retirement Research Consortium meeting on August 4 & 5 at the National Press Club.
https://docs.google.com/a/bc.edu/forms/ ... 1843921149

Link to registration and overview of Divergence in American life expectancy by Case & Deaton at Brookings 2-4, June 29.
http://connect.brookings.edu/register-t ... expectancy

Wilshire 5000 Dividend Reinvestment Calculator
http://dqydj.com/wilshire-5000-return-calculator/

Best,
BobK
Topic Author
grabiner
Advisory Board

Next meeting July 17, Silver Spring Library at 2:30

Post by grabiner »

Our next meeting will be 2:30-4:30 on Sunday, July 17, in meeting room #2 at the Silver Spring Library (note new location), 900 Wayne Ave, Silver Spring, MD 20910. (The reason for the time change is that the meeting room closes at 4:30 and the library closes at 5:00.)

The location is a short walk from the Silver Spring station on the Metro Red Line. Take the "South side Colesville Road" exit from the Metro station, turn right, then right on Wayne Avenue (walking around the bus depot), and go five blocks to Fenton Street; the library is on the right.

Parking garages in downtown Silver Spring are free on Sundays. The closest garage is at Wayne and Fenton, diagonally across from the library.
Wiki David Grabiner
bobcat2

Post by bobcat2 »

Hi David,

A big tip of the hat to both you & Nancy for setting up the meeting room for July & Sept. Thanks very much. I know from personal experience that setting up a meeting room is not as easy as it seems to those who have never done it. Good work. :D :D

Best,
Bob
bobcat2

Re: Next meeting this Sunday July 17, Silver Spring Library at 2:30

Post by bobcat2 »

Our next meeting will be this Sunday, July 17, from 2:30-4:30 in meeting room #2 at the Silver Spring Library (note new location), 900 Wayne Ave, Silver Spring, MD 20910. (The reason for the time change is that the meeting room closes at 4:30 and the library closes at 5:00.) Click on the above Silver Spring Library link for more information about the library.

The location is a short walk from the Silver Spring station on the Metro Red Line. Take the "South side Colesville Road" exit from the Metro station, turn right, then right on Wayne Avenue (walking around the bus depot), and go five blocks to Fenton Street; the library is on the right.

Parking garages in downtown Silver Spring are free on Sundays. The closest garage is at Wayne and Fenton, diagonally across from the library.

We are meeting at the Silver Spring library because we meet six times a year and the Ballston library limits group's meetings to a maximum of four per year. We will also be meeting at the Silver Spring library in September and will return to Ballston in November. We meet in Ballston more than Silver Spring because the meeting room at Ballston is free, but Silver Spring charges by the hour for using their meeting room.

There will be a short presentation on "Keys to a Successful Retirement" at Sunday's meeting. The rest of the meeting is currently open discussion.

BobK

PS - We are now back to our normal schedule of meeting on the third Sunday of every other month. Where the months we meet are the odd numbered months (Jan, Mar,...,Sept, Nov).
Rainmaker41

Post by Rainmaker41 »

How do I sign up for the meeting on Sunday the 17th? Also, given the fee the library charges for the space, is there a fee for attending? I'm not (yet) a registered DC Boglehead.
85% Global Stock, 15% US Fixed Income
bobcat2

Post by bobcat2 »

Rainmaker41 wrote:How do I sign up for the meeting on Sunday the 17th? Also, given the fee the library charges for the space, is there a fee for attending?
By showing up at the library. :)

There is no fee for attending. The fee is $15 per hour and two or three of us are splitting it up among ourselves. If we didn't have anyone from Montgomery County to sign up for the meeting room the fee would have been $30 per hour. :(
So thanks again Nancy. :D

BobK
bobcat2

Post by bobcat2 »

Our next meeting will be this Sunday, July 17, from 2:30-4:30 in meeting room #2 at the Silver Spring Library (note new location), 900 Wayne Ave, Silver Spring, MD 20910. See posts up thread from Friday for more on new location.

Here are links to things that will be touched on at the meeting.

Do Households Save More When the Kids Leave Home?
Link - http://crr.bc.edu/briefs/do-households- ... eave-home/

Link to registration and agenda for Social Security Retirement Research Consortium meeting on August 4 & 5 at the National Press Club.
https://docs.google.com/a/bc.edu/forms/ ... 1843921149

Wilshire 5000 Dividend Reinvestment Calculator
http://dqydj.com/wilshire-5000-return-calculator/

BobK
bryaninDC

Post by bryaninDC »

Hi, I live in the Washington dc area and would like to participate. Can I register for a listserv or something to receive notifications of upcoming meetings?

Bryan
bobcat2

Post by bobcat2 »

bryaninDC wrote:Hi, I live in the Washington dc area and would like to participate. Can I register for a listserv or something to receive notifications of upcoming meetings?

Bryan
Here is a link where you can request to join the local DC Bogleheads group, aka DC Vanguard Diehards. We send out two emails to local members the week before each meeting about the location and time of the next meeting. Notification of each meeting is also posted in this thread along with notice of any guest speakers and scheduled presentation topics.
Link - https://beta.groups.yahoo.com/neo/group ... hards/info

BTW our next meeting is scheduled for 2:30-4:30 Sunday, September 18, at the Silver Spring library. You don't have to belong to the local group to attend a meeting. As a matter of fact, the libraries prohibit us from excluding members of the public from attending, unless we would go over the fire limit for the meeting room.

BobK
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

BobK,

Thank you for presenting at the meeting and for very useful advice in the restaurant. I have followed up on some of your suggestions.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
bobcat2

Post by bobcat2 »

VictoriaF wrote:BobK,
Thank you for presenting at the meeting and for very useful advice in the restaurant. I have followed up on some of your suggestions.
Victoria
Hi Victoria,

With regard to my presentation at the last local meeting, I still haven't heard back from the reporter - Maybe the story has been spiked.
... very useful advice in the restaurant. I have followed up on some of your suggestions.
Does this mean you are now freely using Voodoo as a 'Shield' against evil doers :?: :wink:
Best,
Bob
bobcat2

Retirement Research Consortium (RRC) Meeting

Post by bobcat2 »

The 2016 Retirement Research Consortium (RRC) Meeting will be held next Thursday & Friday August 4-5, 2016, at the National Press Club in Washington, DC. The event is free of charge, but registration is required. Free box lunches that are reasonably tasty are provided each day.

I have posted more about this year's meeting at the following thread here at Bogleheads.
Link to RRC thread. - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=196251

BobK
Topic Author
grabiner
Advisory Board

Next meeting September 18, Silver Spring Library at 2:30

Post by grabiner »

Our next meeting will be 2:30-4:30 on Sunday, September 18, in meeting room #2 at the Silver Spring Library (same location as the July meeting), 900 Wayne Ave, Silver Spring, MD 20910. (The reason for the time change is that the meeting room closes at 4:30 and the library closes at 5:00.)

Wiki David Grabiner
Rainmaker41

Post by Rainmaker41 »

Thanks for the information. I'll be there again for my second time at a DC chapter meeting.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

For information of Washington DC area Bogleheads and visitors:

Yesterday, I stopped by at the World Bank's bookstore on Pennsylvania Ave at 18th St, and was surprised to find many excellent books on sale, with most sale prices in the $5-$8 range. Many of these books were hardcover and recent. I picked up several books, and when I was paying I have learned that the store will be shutting down in mid-October.

There were many books not on sale and I think, I don't know only think, that as the closing time approaches more books will go on sale. It may be worthwhile to visit the shop occasionally for the next four weeks to see what's available.

Victoria
Rayandron

Post by Rayandron »

Is there a DC Chapter meeting this Sunday? If so, where?
bobcat2

Post by bobcat2 »

Rayandron wrote:Is there a DC Chapter meeting this Sunday? If so, where?
The meeting this coming Sunday, November 20, is from 3-5 at the Ballston library.

BobK
bobcat2

Very Sad News - Andrew Trice

Post by bobcat2 »

DC Boglehead Andrew Trice passed away on December 12. Here are some highlights of Andy's life.

Andy grew up in Federalsburg, MD, and graduated with a Bachelor of Science in Computer Science with highest honors from the University of Maryland, College Park in 1985, and was student speaker at graduation. In 1990, Andy earned a Ph.D. in Information Technologies from the MIT Sloan School of Management.

In 1994, he and his wife Sharon moved back to the Washington area, where Andy held a variety of challenging IT consulting and analyst positions. In 1998, their daughter Julia was born, followed by the arrival of Laura in 2000. Parenthood gave Andy a new passion to focus on, and he is very proud of the fine adults his daughters have become.

In 2005, Andy transitioned to the Institute for Defense Analyses and focused on difficult analytic problems for the nation’s defense and intelligence community. In 2010, he became an analyst for the Office of the Director of National Intelligence and the National Counterterrorism Center, and upon his retirement in 2016, an annual award for analytical excellence was renamed in his honor.

In 2013 at age 49, Andy got a devastating diagnosis of pancreatic cancer. He lived joyfully with this disease for 3 1/2 years, and viewed these years as the most challenging yet rewarding periods of his life. He used his experience to write Cancer Chameleon, a book about maintaining resilience and managing the intricacies of life-threatening illness.
Here is a link to the book at Amazon –
https://www.amazon.com/Cancer-Chameleon ... 555&sr=1-1

Music was another of Andy’s passions throughout his life. Since the age of six, Andy played piano and composed music. He met his wife through music, played semi-professionally as a jazz pianist in area ensembles, and played contemporary music at many services at Temple Rodef Shalom in Falls Church, VA.

Andy hopes to be remembered as a hard-working man of warmth and intelligence who did his best to enrich the lives of those around him as a husband, father, co-worker, musician, and author.

At his book signing event in April, which my wife and I attended and the food was great, Andy gave a short talk and then turned to the piano and belted out three standards to a standing ovation. At our local Bogleheads meetings Andy was generally quiet but helpful, particularly during the sessions dealing with ESPlanner.

Andy is missed.
Here is a link to a formal obituary. - http://www.stardem.com/obituaries/artic ... ba1a6.html

Bob Kirchner
Rager1

Post by Rager1 »

Bob,

I'm so sorry to hear about Andrew's death. He will be missed and remembered. Thank you for sharing his story with the larger Boglehead community.

Ed
bobcat2

Next Meeting Sunday Jan 15 @ Silver Spring library

Post by bobcat2 »

Our next meeting will be from 2:30-4:30 next Sunday, January 15, in meeting room #2 at the Silver Spring Library, 900 Wayne Ave, Silver Spring, MD 20910. (The reason for the time change is that the meeting room closes at 4:30 and the library closes at 5:00.) This will be our first of two planned meetings this year at the Silver Spring library.

There will be a presentation & discussion on using the Funding Ratio tool for monitoring your retirement plan before, at, and during retirement. If you have a phone app that can do TVM calculations, financial calculator, or tablet or laptop with access to a spreadsheet that might be helpful, because we will be solving a few simple time value of money (TVM) problems. Namely, the funding ratio is calculated by finding the present value of retirement liabilities (retirement income stream) and the present value of some retirement assets such as pensions. However, you will definitely be able to follow the presentation without doing any calculations, TVM or otherwise. :D

BobK :wink:
bobcat2

Post by bobcat2 »

I have written an article on the funded ratio, the topic of this afternoon’s meeting, that is now available at the Bogleheads blog site. BH Barry Barnitz maintains the blog on his personal financial page.

Here is a link to the article - Monitoring Your Retirement Goal – the Funded Ratio
https://blbarnitz4.wordpress.com/2017/0 ... ded-ratio/

The article includes links for further reading on the funded ratio and safe discount rates, plus links to tutorials on understanding and calculating time value of money concepts & problems, and spreadsheets for calculating the funded ratio in some circumstances.

BobK
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

The next meeting is on 19 March. Will it be in Arlington or Silver Spring? A friend is interested in coming and I'd like to pass the information.

Victoria
bobcat2

Post by bobcat2 »

VictoriaF wrote:The next meeting is on 19 March. Will it be in Arlington or Silver Spring? A friend is interested in coming and I'd like to pass the information.
Victoria
Hi Victoria,

It will be in Silver Spring. The four remaining meetings after March in 2017 will be in Arlington.

Best,
Bob
Rainmaker41

Post by Rainmaker41 »

I wasn't able to make the January meeting, but I should get to the March meeting this weekend. Thanks to the organizers.
bobcat2

Re: Next Meeting Sunday March 19 at Silver Spring library

Post by bobcat2 »

Our next meeting will be from 2:30-4:30 this coming Sunday, March 19, in meeting room #2 at the Silver Spring Library, 900 Wayne Ave, Silver Spring, MD 20910. This is the second of our two planned meetings this year at the Silver Spring library.

At this point we are planning on holding our four remaining meetings after this Sunday at the main Arlington library in Ballston.

BobK
Panthera

Re: Next Meeting Sunday March 19 at Silver Spring library

Post by Panthera »

bobcat2 wrote:Our next meeting will be from 2:30-4:30 this coming Sunday, March 19, in meeting room #2 at the Silver Spring Library, 900 Wayne Ave, Silver Spring, MD 20910. This is the second of our two planned meetings this year at the Silver Spring library.

At this point we are planning on holding our four remaining meetings after this Sunday at the main Arlington library in Ballston.

BobK
Hi bobcat2, are you still holding meetings in DC? I'd like to attend.
Topic Author
grabiner
Advisory Board

May 21 meeting 1:30 at Silver Spring library

Post by grabiner »

Our next meeting will be 1:30-3:00 on Sunday, May 21, in meeting room #2 at the Silver Spring Library, 900 Wayne Ave, Silver Spring, MD 20910. (Sorry about the time change; this is the time we were able to get the room.)
Wiki David Grabiner
bobcat2

Post by bobcat2 »

I'm putting together a presentation on target date funds for the meeting. Also some follow-up material on using the funded ratio, which was discussed at the January meeting.

Also up for discussion is Mr. Boffin's dilemma of selling a house & then buying a house during retirement and how a HECM for purchase might help. Last, but maybe not least, a brief mention of the proposed BFFS bond for retirement and pre-retirement planning.

BobK
VictoriaF

Re: May 21 meeting 1:30 at Silver Spring library

Post by VictoriaF »

grabiner wrote:Our next meeting will be 1:30-3:00 on Sunday, May 21, in meeting room #2 at the Silver Spring Library, 900 Wayne Ave, Silver Spring, MD 20910. (Sorry about the time change; this is the time we were able to get the room.)
thank you, David. I Hope to be ať home and ať tend.
victoria
Rager1

Post by Rager1 »

We look forward to attending. Thanks for the coordination.

Ed (and Patti)