Master thread for Washington DC Area Bogleheads

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
grabiner
Advisory Board

Re: Master thread for Washington DC Area Bogleheads

Post by grabiner »

furwut wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:38 pm Meetings are held the 3rd Sunday of every odd numbered month (i.e., Jan, Mar, May, Jul, Sep, Nov). Recent meetings have been either at the Arlington Central Library or Silver Spring Library depending on availability. They are open to all.
The January 2020 meeting will be January 12 rather than the third Sunday to avoid MLK Day.
Wiki David Grabiner
AliceColtrane

Post by AliceColtrane »

grabiner wrote: Thu May 22, 2014 9:34 pm The next meeting of the DC Bogleheads will be Sunday, January 12, 2020 (note non-standard date), from 3:00-5:00, in the second floor meeting room at the Arlington, VA Central Library, 1015 N. Quincy Street, Arlington, VA 22201.
Hi, I'd like to come to this meeting (it will be my first). Will the meeting center on a specific topic or is it more open-ended?
furwut

Post by furwut »

AliceColtrane wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:04 am
grabiner wrote: Thu May 22, 2014 9:34 pm The next meeting of the DC Bogleheads will be Sunday, January 12, 2020 (note non-standard date), from 3:00-5:00, in the second floor meeting room at the Arlington, VA Central Library, 1015 N. Quincy Street, Arlington, VA 22201.
Hi, I'd like to come to this meeting (it will be my first). Will the meeting center on a specific topic or is it more open-ended?
Meetings are usually open-ended. Sometimes there is a presentation or guest speaker (announced ahead of time) so discussion will be centered on that topic.

I’ve seen members suggest a topic ahead of time in this thread to prime the discussion.
bobcat2

Next meeting is Sunday January 12

Post by bobcat2 »

The next meeting of DC Bogleheads will be this coming Sunday, January, 12 from 3:00-5:00 PM in the 2nd floor meeting room of the Arlington Central Library in Ballston located at 1015 N. Quincy Street, Arlington, VA 22201. We are meeting on the second Sunday rather than the usual third Sunday to avoid the MLK weekend.

Victoria Fineberg will be making a presentation on behavioral economics at the meeting. This should make for a lively discussion because I know many people are interested in this topic - particularly with regard to how these behavioral issues affect personal finance decision making.

The library is between the Virginia Square and Ballston stations on the Metro Orange Line. From Virginia Square, walk four blocks west (left, away from Washington) on Fairfax Drive, turn right on N. Quincy, and go one block to the library. From Ballston, walk three blocks east (right, towards Washington) on Fairfax Drive, turn left on N. Quincy, and go one block to the library. The library is on the east side of N. Quincy Street. The second floor meeting room is on the south side of the library, just to the left of the glass enclosed quiet reading room. The library has a free parking lot for patrons behind the building and free parking in a garage below the building.

BobK
Last edited by bobcat2 on Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:17 am, edited 4 times in total.
In finance risk is defined as uncertainty that is consequential (nontrivial). | The two main methods of dealing with financial risk are the matching of assets to goals & diversifying.
bobcat2

Post by bobcat2 »

sleepysurf wrote the following on another BHs thread about the now crippled Yahoo Groups websites that have been used by many local Boglehead chapters, including DC Bogleheads.
sleepysurf wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:42 pm Verizon is essentially pulling the plug on Yahoo Groups. I suggest migrating your local BH group over to either Google Groups, or better yet (IMHO) https://groups.io/. The latter offers a FREE version, which is more than adequate for a BH chapter (unless you need more than 1 GB of file storage). However, the FREE version doesn't allow you to manually add email addresses, so you'd need to ask your chapter members to sign up again. Groups.io is basically a "super-charged" version of Yahoo Groups, with many more website features. The developer, Mark Fletcher, was actually the creator of eGroups, which was the forerunner of Yahoo Groups.
DC Bogleheads has recently migrated from Yahoo Groups to groups.io.
Link to DCBogleheads at groups.io - https://groups.io/g/DCBogleheads

If you are already a member of DC Bogleheads you should now be a member at groups.io. To login at the groups.io DCBogleheads site, click on the "Log In If You Are Already A Member" green block and then supply the email address you use with DC Bogleheads and create a password. Then you are good to go.

Check out the files and messages sections. They will both be expanding in the near future.

BobK
In finance risk is defined as uncertainty that is consequential (nontrivial). | The two main methods of dealing with financial risk are the matching of assets to goals & diversifying.
bobcat2

Post by bobcat2 »

The next meeting of DC Bogleheads will be tomorrow (Sunday, January, 12) from 3:00-5:00 PM in the 2nd floor meeting room of the Arlington Central Library in Ballston located at 1015 N. Quincy Street, Arlington, VA 22201. Directions to the library are upthread.

Victoria Fineberg will be making a presentation on behavioral economics at the meeting. This should make for a lively discussion because I know many people are interested in this topic - particularly with regard to how these behavioral issues affect personal finance decision making.

I imagine that some attendees will be going to dinner nearby at one of the several restaurants in the area.

As an aside, has anyone had any problems dealing with our move from Yahoo Groups to groups.io this week? From my POV groups.io seems, at least up to now, to have better and expanded functionality than Yahoo Groups.

BobK
mathstach

Post by mathstach »

I thought Victoria's presentation on behavorial economics at the Bogleheads chapter meeting today went well. Thanks, Victoria!

If there is interest in our chapter in the personal finance of Obamacare (mechanics of picking a plan, how a spouse or children change things, figuring tax credits, factoring in self-employment or retirement income, helpful charts/graphs, etc.), I would be happy to give a presentation on that at a future meeting in Arlington.
Topic Author
grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner »

The next meeting of the DC Bogleheads will be from 2:30-4:30 on Sunday, March 15, 2020, in meeting room #2 at the Silver Spring Library, 900 Wayne Ave, Silver Spring, MD. (The meeting room closes at 4:30 and the library closes at 5:00.)

The location is a short walk from the Silver Spring station on the Metro Red Line. Take the "South side Colesville Road" exit from the Metro station, turn right, then right on Wayne Avenue (walking around the bus depot), and go five blocks to Fenton Street; the library is on the right. Parking garages in downtown Silver Spring are free on Sundays. The closest garage is at Wayne and Fenton, diagonally across from the library.

We do not have a specific topic for this meeting.
Wiki David Grabiner
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Here is an announcement by the Montgomery County, https://www.mymcmedia.org/montgomery-co ... se-monday/ :
Montgomery County Executive Marc Elrich announced at a coronavirus press conference Thursday that starting March 16 all libraries, recreation centers, aquatic facilities, and park and planning facilities will be closed.
On March 15th the Silver Spring library should still be open, but I am thinking about the need for social distancing.

Victoria

Added later: After I posted this message, Grabiner sent an email that the meeting is still on, unless the situation changes between now and then.
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
bobcat2

Post by bobcat2 »

My wife has a compromised immune system, so I won't be attending Sunday's meeting.

Best,
BobK
mortfree

Post by mortfree »

Seems socially irresponsible to still have this meeting.

Sorry. Not sorry.
YMMV
Mid-40’s
vclbc

Post by vclbc »

Hi! :happy New Boglehead here! I was wondering if there was going to be a digital online (zoom?) meeting for November? I'm new to the community and am looking forward to learning from you all.
Bimmer

Post by Bimmer »

I would be interested in an online meeting.
____________________________ | Bimmer | ____________________________
gtd98765

Post by gtd98765 »

I would also be interested in a video mtg.
Nahtanoj

Post by Nahtanoj »

I would be interested in some Zoom meetings, too, if someone would set it up.
statsdoc

Post by statsdoc »

Would be interested in online meeting as well! :)
Topic Author
grabiner
Advisory Board

Next meeting September 18 in Arlington

Post by grabiner »

Our next meeting will be this coming Sunday, September 18, from 3-5 in the Bluemont Room (second floor meeting room) of the main Arlington County library in Ballston. We do not have a specific topic for this meeting.

The library has a free parking lot for patrons behind the building and free parking in a garage below the building. The lot is often full on Sundays; the garage is never full.

The library is between the Virginia Square and Ballston stations on the Metro Orange Line. From Virginia Square, walk four blocks west (left, away from Washington) on Fairfax Drive, turn right on N. Quincy, and go one block to the library. From Ballston, walk three blocks east (right, towards Washington) on Fairfax Drive, turn left on N. Quincy, and go one block to the library. The library is on the east side of N. Quincy Street.

(edited to correct meeting room location)
Last edited by grabiner on Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki David Grabiner
Arl Lib Stk Tlks

Post by Arl Lib Stk Tlks »

There is a modest contingent of mostly long-time investors who attend meetings in that same venue on a sporadic basis. In a fluke, there is a meeting they are scheduled to have the previous day, so some of them may be able to attend this meeting as well. I will notify them of the possibility of coming to this one as well.

I always appreciate insights about investing, so a twofer on that weekend is a special treat for me!
Topic Author
grabiner
Advisory Board

Next meeting November 20 in Arlington

Post by grabiner »

Our next meeting will be Sunday, November 20, from 3-5 in the Bluemont Room (second floor meeting room) of the main Arlington County library in Ballston located at 1015 N. Quincy Street, Arlington, VA 22201. Directions to the library are upthread.

Those DC Bogleheads who attended the national meeting in October will be sharing our experiences.

The library has a free parking lot for patrons behind the building and free parking in a garage below the building. The lot is often full on Sunday. The garage is never full but closes at 5:00, so you may have to move your car if you want to stay around after the meeting.

The library is between the Virginia Square and Ballston stations on the Metro Orange/Silver Line. From Virginia Square, walk four blocks west (left, away from Washington) on Fairfax Drive, turn right on N. Quincy, and go one block to the library. From Ballston, walk three blocks east (right, towards Washington) on Fairfax Drive, turn left on N. Quincy, and go one block to the library. The library is on the east side of N. Quincy Street.
Wiki David Grabiner
ezpath

Post by ezpath »

Hello David (and all),

It was good meeting you in Chicago. I am just confirming that there is a meeting tomorrow, 11/20, in Arlington. If so, I will plan to attend.

Thank you.
AHK-Hero

Post by AHK-Hero »

Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it to the meeting. I was looking forward to sharing my experiences from the conference, but have a scheduling conflict. Overall I had a great time at the conference and met a lot great people, as well as getting to catch up with grabiner.

Hope to see you all next time, have a nice turkey day everyone.
Elaine22

Post by Elaine22 »

Is a Washington DC Area Bogleheads meeting in person (or online) being planned for January 2023? If yes, I would like to put it on my calendar ASAP so I can plan to come! It's been toooo long! Would love to see everyone again! Thanks!
Topic Author
grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner »

Our next meeting will be Sunday, January 15, from 3-5 in the Bluemont Room (second floor meeting room) of the main Arlington County library in Ballston located at 1015 N. Quincy Street, Arlington, VA 22201.

The library has a free parking lot for patrons behind the building and free parking in a garage below the building. The lot is often full on Sunday. The garage is never full but closes at 5:00, so you may have to move your car if you want to stay around after the meeting.

The library is between the Virginia Square and Ballston stations on the Metro Orange/Silver Line. From Virginia Square, walk four blocks west (left, away from Washington) on Fairfax Drive, turn right on N. Quincy, and go one block to the library. From Ballston, walk three blocks east (right, towards Washington) on Fairfax Drive, turn left on N. Quincy, and go one block to the library. The library is on the east side of N. Quincy Street.
Wiki David Grabiner
Topic Author
grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner »

Our next meeting will be Sunday, March 19, from 3-5 in the Bluemont Room (second floor meeting room) of the main Arlington County library in Ballston located at 1015 N. Quincy Street, Arlington, VA 22201.

Wiki David Grabiner
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

grabiner wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:03 pm Our next meeting will be Sunday, March 19, from 3-5 in the Bluemont Room (second floor meeting room) of the main Arlington County library in Ballston located at 1015 N. Quincy Street, Arlington, VA 22201.
Currently visiting the area and spending a few months caring for elderly relative who lives near this library. Looking forward to attending on the 19th!
Topic Author
grabiner
Advisory Board

Next meeting May 21 in Silver Spring

Post by grabiner »

The next meeting of the DC Bogleheads will be from 4:00-5:30 (note unusual time) on Sunday, May 21, 2023 in meeting room #2 at the Brigadier General Charles E. McGee Library, 900 Wayne Ave, Silver Spring, MD. This is the same library we have used in the past, but it has been renamed.

The location is a short walk from the Silver Spring station on the Metro Red Line. Take the "South side Colesville Road" exit from the Metro station, turn right, then right on Wayne Avenue (walking around the bus depot), and go five blocks to Fenton Street; the library is on the right. Parking garages in downtown Silver Spring are free on Sundays. The closest garage is at Wayne and Fenton, diagonally across from the library.

Wiki David Grabiner
Okinawakevin

Post by Okinawakevin »

Thanks to David and everyone for welcoming me into the group. See ya next time. :D

Kevin
Topic Author
grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner »

Our next meeting will be Sunday, July 16, from 3-5 in the Bluemont Room (second floor meeting room) of the main Arlington County library in Ballston located at 1015 N. Quincy Street, Arlington, VA 22201.

Wiki David Grabiner
bobcat2

Post by bobcat2 »

Our next meeting will be this coming Sunday, July 16, from 3-5 in the Bluemont Room (second floor meeting room) of the main Arlington County library in Ballston located at 1015 N. Quincy Street, Arlington, VA. The room is on the south side of the library. The meeting will begin with a presentation on the value of the Social Security and Medicare programs.

There is a third option for free parking near the library. The library is on the southwest corner of the block on N. Quincy Street. If you drive north on Quincy to the northwest corner of the block there is a high school baseball field and next to the field is a gravel parking lot with free parking on weekends. Unless there is a high school baseball game on Sunday afternoon (unlikely) this is a spot with lots of free parking places about 300 feet from the library.

BobK
Topic Author
grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner »

The next meeting of the DC Bogleheads will be from 3:00-5:00 on Sunday, September 10, 2023 (date moved because September 17 is Rosh Hashanah) in meeting room #1 at the Brigadier General Charles E. McGee Library, 900 Wayne Ave, Silver Spring, MD. This is the same library we have used in the past, but it has been renamed.

Wiki David Grabiner
calmaniac

Post by calmaniac »

Hello DC Bogleheads,

Is there a local organizing committee for the 2023 Bogleheads Conference?

I live a mile from the meeting venue and would be happy to help in some of the local efforts.

If so, please feel free to message me.

Calman
"Pretired", working 20 h/wk. AA 75/25: 30% TSM, 19% value (VFVA/AVUV), 18% Int'l LC, 8% emerging, 25% GFund/VBTLX. Military pension ≈60% of expenses. Pension+SS@age 70 ≈100% of expenses.
Topic Author
grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner »

calmaniac wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:22 am Hello DC Bogleheads,

Is there a local organizing committee for the 2023 Bogleheads Conference?

I live a mile from the meeting venue and would be happy to help in some of the local efforts.

If so, please feel free to message me.

Calman
The organizing is already arranged, but volunteers are welcome; please contact Christine Benz at cbenz@bogle.center if you are interested in volunteering to help.

In addition, since you are local to the area, you are likely to be of informal help for people who are looking for places to go out to eat or other activities within walking distance.
Wiki David Grabiner
Topic Author
grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner »

Our next meeting will be Sunday, November 19, from 3-5 in the Bluemont Room (second floor meeting room) of the main Arlington County library in Ballston located at 1015 N. Quincy Street, Arlington, VA 22201.

Wiki David Grabiner
GengarGrowth

Post by GengarGrowth »

How can I stay up to date on the chapter meetings without having to use Facebook or IG?
DessertEnjoyer2

Post by DessertEnjoyer2 »

I am new to the area and would also love to receive updates on meetings. Is this thread the best way to get up-to-date info?
furwut

Post by furwut »

DessertEnjoyer2 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:52 pm I am new to the area and would also love to receive updates on meetings. Is this thread the best way to get up-to-date info?
GengarGrowth wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:09 pm How can I stay up to date on the chapter meetings without having to use Facebook or IG?
One way is to subscribe to this topic. Then whenever there is a new post you will get an email notification.

To subscribe click the Tools menu at the bottom of the page (Wrench icon) and select Subscribe.
Topic Author
grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner »

Our next meeting will be Sunday, January 21, from 3-5 in the Bluemont Room (second floor meeting room) of the main Arlington County library in Ballston located at 1015 N. Quincy Street, Arlington, VA 22201.

Wiki David Grabiner
Topic Author
grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner »

Our next meeting will be Sunday, March 17, from 3-5 in the Bluemont Room (second floor meeting room) of the main Arlington County library in Ballston located at 1015 N. Quincy Street, Arlington, VA 22201.

Wiki David Grabiner
bogleomics

Post by bogleomics »

I’m thinking of attending. What do the meetings look like? Thank you.