Master Thread for Philadelphia PA Area Bogleheads Chapter

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
dickenjb

Re: Philly Chapter meeting - 9 Nov 2013

Post by dickenjb »

I also stated at the meeting that I had located a very good and free social security calculator that deals with married couples including complex strategies such as file and suspend, restricted filing to spousal benefit, etc.

It is at Bedrock Capital.

http://ssanalyze.bedrockcapital.com
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Philly Chapter meeting - 9 Nov 2013

Post by LadyGeek »

SS calculators can be found in the wiki: Social Security, under "See also" which goes to here: Social Security (Tools and Calculators)

The calculator is one of several listed in: Social Security Calculators - Don't Claim Without Trying One First

Given the context of the article, which explains the drawbacks of each, I don't think adding it as a separate wiki entry is needed.

Further, the calculator requires registration and has a disclaimer that it's for client use only (or if you've signed a Non-Disclosure Agreement). I'm not sure what they will do with your email address, as it can be used for marketing purposes.

Update: I fixed the wiki article: I savings bonds
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Topic Author
dickenjb

Philly Chapter Meeting - 15 Feb 2014

Post by dickenjb »

We will meet at 11 AM at the usual venue (below)

So far for the agenda I have agreed to prepare a discussion on:

Using kids as a tax shelter

- The Kiddie Tax with all its nuances
- Transferring appreciated securities to kids
- "At Vanguard, Your Voice is Your Password" and how that helps
- Matching your kid's earned income and contributing to a Roth IRA

We could use a second topic so if any of you have a topic you wish to prepare please let me know.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

330 Goddard Blvd
King of Prussia, PA 19406
Phone: 610-491-8001 Fax: 610-491-8128
Located at the King of Prussia Mall at the intersection of Goddard and Mall boulevards
Easy access by car or public transit from Center City or elsewhere
privatepilot

Re: Philly Chapter Meeting - 15 Feb 2014

Post by privatepilot »

I am new member.
I live in Philadelphia. I guess my closest chapter is in King of Prussia?
I cannot attend the February meeting--is the March meeting on Saturday, March 15 at 11am?
Are there membership dues, how long does the meeting last?

Can I ask questions about my investment decisions and get advice?
Do any of the local chapter members also invest in rental real estate in addition to mutual funds or is that frowned upon?

Thank you
Topic Author
dickenjb

Post by dickenjb »

privatepilot wrote:I am new member.
I live in Philadelphia. I guess my closest chapter is in King of Prussia?
I cannot attend the February meeting--is the March meeting on Saturday, March 15 at 11am?
Are there membership dues, how long does the meeting last?

Can I ask questions about my investment decisions and get advice?
Do any of the local chapter members also invest in rental real estate in addition to mutual funds or is that frowned upon?

Thank you
We would be most happy to have you join us! We meet on the second Saturday of the 2nd, 5th, 8th and 11th months. We moved the Feb meeting since I had a conflict on 2/8. Yes we are the only Philly chapter and we draw members from Lehigh Valley down to Wilmington DE and out to central/South Jersey.

Meetings are free - we meet over lunch and everyone pays his share of the bill. If you drink tap water and don't choose to order food, you will owe nothing.

I am sure there are many who will be happy to advise you on your portfolio and investing decisions. Maybe some of our members own rental real estate, I don't know. Unlike the forum where certain topics are verboten, no topics are off limits at chapter meetings.

Send me a PM with your email address and first name, last name or at least last initial and I will add you to my email distribution list.
privatepilot

Post by privatepilot »

I am sorry but I do not know what a "PM" is. Could you please tell me how to do a PM?
Thank you very much.
grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner »

privatepilot wrote:I am sorry but I do not know what a "PM" is. Could you please tell me how to do a PM?
Thank you very much.
A PM is a Private Message; click on the symbol labeled PM to send a private message to the poster of any message.
Wiki David Grabiner
Topic Author
dickenjb

Post by dickenjb »

Bumping this - our meeting is ON despite the snow we've had here in SE PA.
Topic Author
dickenjb

Post by dickenjb »

At this time we are still planning to meet tomorrow despite the forecast of 1-2" of fresh snow early Saturday AM. Should the forecast get significantly worse than that, and/or the snow be forecast to come down during the lunch hour, I will post here and email those on my distribution list to cancel or postpone the meeting. But we are PHL, not a wimpy city like ATL or DFW that can not deal with a little snow. Heck, I was born outside BUF and if you haven't lived there you don't know snow.
Last edited by dickenjb on Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
linuxizer

Post by linuxizer »

privatepilot - Welcome to the Philly Bogleheads.

I live in the city so don't often make it out to the meetings, but welcome anyway!
Topic Author
dickenjb

Post by dickenjb »

Meeting still on, forecast now looks to be only about 1" tomorrow.

I will update status again ca. 8 AM tomorrow (Saturday)
Topic Author
dickenjb

Post by dickenjb »

Meeting still ON. Snow forecast has been pushed back to 11 AM so our drive to meeting should be dry. It is hoped that they will have plowed by the time our lunch meeting concludes.
prk

Post by prk »

ever have meetings in Center City?

hard for me to make it to King of Prussia
grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner »

prk wrote:ever have meetings in Center City?

hard for me to make it to King of Prussia
If you live in the city, there are frequent express buses from Center City and the 69th Street terminal to the mall; the meeting place is a block from the mall bus center. (When I lived in NJ, I would often do this in the other direction, driving to the lunch meeting and then taking a bus into the city for the afternoon.)
Wiki David Grabiner
Topic Author
dickenjb

Post by dickenjb »

Next meeting will be Saturday, May 10th at 11 AM. Details in separate thread.
Topic Author
dickenjb

Philly Chapter Meeting May 10, 2014

Post by dickenjb »

We will meet at 11 AM at the usual venue (below)

precise agenda being developed but will include:

1) An update on the Kiddie Tax and child's claiming the American Opportunity Tax Credit
2) An update on the use of MeetUp
3) likely discussion of life cycle finance

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

330 Goddard Blvd
Located at the King of Prussia Mall at the intersection of Goddard and Mall boulevards
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Master Thread for Philadelphia PA Area Bogleheads Chapte

Post by LadyGeek »

FYI - With permission from dickenjb, I combined the Philadelphia area chapter meeting threads into one "master" thread. All meeting notices should go here.

The idea is that anyone who posts in this thread will be automatically subscribed to the thread (View your posts) and not miss anything. See: Re: Master Thread for each Chapter to post meeting announcem

It's also listed in the wiki. Bogleheads® Local Chapters
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Topic Author
dickenjb

5/10/2014 meeting for Philly area Chapter

Post by dickenjb »

Agenda has been finalized:

We will meet at 11 AM on Saturday, May 10th at the usual venue (below)

agenda:

1) I will give an update on the Kiddie Tax and child's claiming the American Opportunity Tax Credit
2) I will give an update on the use of MeetUp
3) Randy has volunteered to share the results of his research on password managers - a very timely topic given recent Heartbleed security bug!

330 Goddard Blvd
Topic Author
dickenjb

Post by dickenjb »

Bumping the thread to remind people we have a meeting tomorrow.
Topic Author
dickenjb

Post by dickenjb »

We had a nice meeting with 7 attendees including two new members.

Topics discussed:

1) Update on the Kiddie tax and how cap gains realized by child do not wipe out tax loss carry forwards of parents
2) Update on use of MeetUp to grow chapter
3) Dealing with death of family member and PA inheritance tax
4) SS including how PIA is not much affected by extra working years after your AIME exceeds the second bend point; download and use of AnyPIA tool
5) A very nice discussion and handout discussing password tools (KeePass, Lastpass) and keeping passwords secure against hackers (Thank you, Randy!)

Next meeting will be the second Saturday in August - i.e., August 10th. Topics will include health insurance for early retirees and Life Cycle Finance.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

As a meeting followup, I did a lot more reading on the topic of Inheriting an IRA.

Confusing the issue was that the wiki was pointing to the wrong RMD table for spousal IRA rollovers (should be Table III in IRS Publication 590). I corrected the wiki article and did some clean-up: IRA distribution tables. All is clear to me now.

For those who had problems finding the wiki, look in the top right corner of this page. It's the 2nd line under the search box (light blue menu). Wiki and Blog.

Here's the wiki article for PA inheritance taxes: Estate and inheritance tax Go to the state table and click on the [18] (PA tax site) link.
Topic Author
dickenjb

Post by dickenjb »

More follow up - I couldn't remember the percentage of AIME used to calculate PIA between the first and second bend points. It is 32%. Here is a link to the PIA formula:

http://www.ssa.gov/oact/cola/piaformula.html

Note that once your AIME are over $4917 (about $60K per year), the benefits increase VERY slowly for working an "extra" year.

Also noted with interest that SSA is starting to refer to the age at which you receive your PIA as "NRA" or "Normal Retirement Age". They used to call it "FRA" or "Full Retirement Age". Still confusing as when you decide to start your benefit could be before, coincident with, or after the date you decide to retire.
Topic Author
dickenjb

Post by dickenjb »

August 10th meeting canceled for lack of interest.

The couple who was going to present on early retiree healthcare have a conflict and that topic will be pushed back to November.

See you all at the Nov 8 meeting or at the national reunion in October
etarini

Post by etarini »

Please put me on the Philly list. I'm in the Boston area (a recent get-together included VictoriaF, a familiar screen name to most Bogleheads). My wife grew up in the Philly area (still has family there) and my cousin and his family live in Philly, so we get down there about three times a year. We could easily plan a visit around a Bogleheads meeting, if no one objects to a Northerner (born and grew up in Detroit, but went to school in Boston area and...just stayed.

Thanks,

Eric
ebabin

Post by ebabin »

What's up with this thread? The title has no relevance to the posts. At some point I would like to attend a meeting, but some of us still work for a living (1 pm ??) and somewhere closer to Center City would be more accommodating.
Topic Author
dickenjb

Post by dickenjb »

ebabin wrote:What's up with this thread? The title has no relevance to the posts. At some point I would like to attend a meeting, but some of us still work for a living (1 pm ??) and somewhere closer to Center City would be more accommodating.
I recognize that some still work for a living and that is why we hold the meetings on Saturdays. Can't be more accommodating than that.

We have tried many locations and the King of Prussia location works well for most - we draw from the Lehigh Valley in the North and down to Wilmington DE in the South.
Topic Author
dickenjb

Post by dickenjb »

etarini wrote:Please put me on the Philly list. I'm in the Boston area (a recent get-together included VictoriaF, a familiar screen name to most Bogleheads). My wife grew up in the Philly area (still has family there) and my cousin and his family live in Philly, so we get down there about three times a year. We could easily plan a visit around a Bogleheads meeting, if no one objects to a Northerner (born and grew up in Detroit, but went to school in Boston area and...just stayed.

Thanks,

Eric
Eric if you PM me your email address I will add you to the distribution list I maintain on Gmail. Thanks.
pulcinella

Post by pulcinella »

Thanks for the heads up that this thread exists. PM sent to dickenjb
Emergent_Order

Post by Emergent_Order »

Hello,

I am in the area and interested in learning about any upcoming Philly Bogleheads Chapter gatherings. I would PM you, but I just joined the Boggleheads forum and am prevented from PM'ing for some reason.

Thank you for your assistance,

Emergent_Order
Topic Author
dickenjb

Post by dickenjb »

We will meet on Saturday, Nov 8th at 11 AM at Champps Sports Bar in King of Prussia.

Agenda will be:

1) Introductions
2) I will lead a discussion on some things I have learned about inherited Roths
3) Barbara will lead a discussion on medical coverage for early retirees
4) We can discuss key takeaways from BH13 for the benefit of those who couldn't attend
5) I hope that someone will volunteer to take over my duties as Chapter Coordinator else our chapter may close or at least go into hibernation
6) Adjourn

We should finish around 1 PM.

330 Goddard Boulevard King of Prussia, PA 19406
(610) 491-8001
PapaGeek

Post by PapaGeek »

Boo Hoo :oops: My time machine broke last week so I didn’t make the meeting!

Just found out about the group on the 20th.

How often do you have meetings?

How can I get on a mailing list for meetings?

I see that this meeting was held on a Saturday: if you hold the next one on a Sunday morning, am I allowed to wear my Ravens jersey? :D

As my logon name indicates, I’m a computer geek. I was a software engineer for a Hedge Fund and retired last September. I’ve written my own software to do trend following on Mutual Funds and I have also published a How To Fix Social Security website.

Would love to spend the hour and a half on the road to attend the next meeting, please contact me to let me know where and when!
marnie

Post by marnie »

We will meet on Saturday, February 7, 2015 at 11 AM at Champps Sports Bar in King of Prussia.
330 Goddard Boulevard King of Prussia, PA 19406
(610) 491-8001

We should finish around 1 PM.

Please send any agenda items you might want to discuss to the Philly Coordinator or post here on the Thread.

Regards
Your Philly Coordinator
PapaGeek

Post by PapaGeek »

I definitely plan to attend as a new member.

I hope to get advice on trading strategies and also discuss what has worked for me.

I am very versed in a number of aspects of the Social Security system (not the disability side), and worked as a software engineer for a Hedge Fund until September 2013 when I retired. I'm trying to adapt their strategies for investing billions of OPM into investing thousands of MOM!

OK, for those who don't understand Geek Speak, OPM, Other People's Money, MOM, My Own Money.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I understand Geek Speak and also plan to attend. :)

My trading strategy is to rebalance once a year, we can discuss at the meeting.
PapaGeek wrote:Would love to spend the hour and a half on the road to attend the next meeting, please contact me to let me know where and when!
Ravens fan and driving an hour and half north? You may want to consider the Master thread for Washington DC Area Bogleheads.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

LadyGeek wrote:I understand Geek Speak and also plan to attend. :)

My trading strategy is to rebalance once a year, we can discuss at the meeting.
PapaGeek wrote:Would love to spend the hour and a half on the road to attend the next meeting, please contact me to let me know where and when!
Ravens fan and driving an hour and half north? You may want to consider the Master thread for Washington DC Area Bogleheads.
And we just started a Baltimore/Southern PA Local Chapter that you may be interested in.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Here's the link: Any interest in a Baltimore/Southern PA Chapter?

PapaGeek - I don't think they'll mind you wearing a Ravens jersey.
marnie

Agenda meeting Feb 7, 2015 for Philadelphia PA Area Boglehea

Post by marnie »

Dear Philly Chapter Bogleheads,
please find below the agenda for our upcoming meeting on February 7, 2015. As always, if there are other topics you want to discuss, we can do this either at the upcoming or later meeting this year. I am looking forward to seeing you on February 7, 2015 at 11am at the usual place (Champps Sports Bar in King of Prussia, 330 Goddard Boulevard).

Agenda:
1) Introductions
2) Philly Chapter meeting dates and plans for 2015
3) "Getting accurate Market Data" - perspective presented by Sandy (new member) followed by discussion
4) Open discussion on questions regarding Social Security
5) Agenda items for May meeting
6) AOB

Your Philly Coordinator Barbara
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Hi,

Can you please explain the meaning of "(6) AOB"? I don't understand the acronym.
user5027

Post by user5027 »

Had me stumped too so I googled it.

Any other business. I think. :idea:
marnie

Post by marnie »

Yes, AOB means Any Other Business. Sorry for any confusion. Philly Coordinator Barbara
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This is a reminder that the Philly Chapter meeting is this Saturday, February 7.

I'm bumping the thread due to mention in: Re: Wiki comments requested: The importance of asset allocat
PapaGeek

Post by PapaGeek »

I will be there
ystudebaker

Post by ystudebaker »

when is the next Philadelphia local chapter meet? time? and location?
marnie

Draft agenda May 9, 2015 Philadelphia PA Area Bogleheads Cha

Post by marnie »

Dear Philly Bogleheads,

now that the spring is finally coming around, it's time to think of our next meeting on May 9, 2015.

Here is the draft agenda:
1. Introduction

2. Roth IRA, traditional IRA and roll-over (Steve and John)

3. Planning for retirement (not just financial) (Donna and Mitch)

4. Open discussion if time allows: Vanguard upping international to 40% of equities in TR and LS funds

5. Topics for Philly Chapter meeting on August 8, 2015

6. Any other business, thoughts, suggestions

Any other suggestions for areas to discus are welcome. If we cannot make it in May, we can list the topic already for August.

As usual, we will meet at 11am at Champps in King of Prussia, 330 Goddard Boulevard, next to the movie theater close to the mall (usually 2 hours meeting over lunch).

Barbara, your Philly Coordinator
stockma

Post by stockma »

I will be there...it will be my first meeting. Looking forward!
marnie

Confirmed: Next Chapter Meeting May 9, 2015 11am

Post by marnie »

Dear Philly Bogleheads,

I would like to confirm our next meeting on Saturday, May 9, 2015 at 11am.

Agenda
1. Introduction

2. Roth IRA, traditional IRA and roll-over (Steve and John)

3. Planning for retirement (not just financial) (Donna and Mitch)

4. Open discussion if time allows: Vanguard upping international to 40% of equities in TR and LS funds

5. Topics for Philly Chapter meeting on August 8, 2015

6. Any other business, thoughts, suggestions

As usual, we will meet at 11am at Champps in King of Prussia, 330 Goddard Boulevard, next to the movie theater close to the mall (usually 2 hours meeting over lunch).

Barbara, your Philly Coordinator
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Master Thread for Philadelphia PA Area Bogleheads Chapter

Post by LadyGeek »

This is a reminder for the chapter meeting tomorrow.
stockma

Post by stockma »

to all who attended today's meeting - THANK YOU! It's a very welcoming group, and I thoroughly enjoyed the discussion and learned a lot!

Looking forward to the next meeting!
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

You're welcome, it was fun.

Here are some wiki articles to supplement the discussion:

- IRA distribution tables
- Traditional IRA
- Backdoor Roth IRA

Bear in mind that backdoor Roth IRAs can be a bit tricky. Be absolutely sure you understand how to do the conversion properly or you will end up paying a lot of taxes. Please ask in the forum for help if you need some guidance.
marnie

Agenda for next Philly Chapter meeting on August 8, 2015

Post by marnie »

Dear Philly Bogleheads,

looking forward to seeing you on August 8, 2015 at our next Chapter meeting!

Agenda Philly Chapter meeting August 8, 2015 at 11am

Champps in King of Prussia, 330 Goddard Boulevard (next to the movie theater, close to the mall)

1. Introduction

2. Revocable trusts: Can we trust them? (Donna and Barbara with Mitch)

3. Emotional side of investing (LadyGeek)

4. Discuss topics for the next meeting (November 14, 2015)

Suggestions: Key points from the Boglehead Conference, Municipal Bonds, LLC, Financial Advisors

5. Any other business

Kind regards

Your Philly Coordinator Barbara