Master Thread for Philadelphia PA Area Bogleheads Chapter

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
SeeMoe

Re: Master Thread for Philadelphia PA Area Bogleheads Chapter

Post by SeeMoe »

:D This newbie used to live within the belly of the beast in the Olney section of Philadelphia for many years,.. Now we are retired living in a 5 star CCRC in the vicinity of Lancaster, Pa . What a great change for us to with lots of Philly Ex-Pats hereabouts also . Just contracted with Vanguard to manage(PAC) our folios, and feel good about it too,..33.
"By gnawing through a dike, even a Rat can destroy a nation ." {Edmund Burke}
marnie

Final Agenda for next Philly Chapter meeting August 8, 2015 at 11am

Post by marnie »

Dear Philly Bogleheads,

looking forward to seeing you next week on August 8, 2015 at our next Chapter meeting!

Agenda Philly Chapter meeting August 8, 2015 at 11am

Champps in King of Prussia, 330 Goddard Boulevard (next to the movie theater, close to the mall)

1. Introduction

2. Living trusts: Can we trust them? (Donna with Mitch and Barbara)

3. Emotional side of investing (LadyGeek)

4. Discuss topics for the next meeting (November 14, 2015)

Suggestions: Key points from the Boglehead Conference, Municipal Bonds, LLC, Financial Advisors

5. Any other business

Kind regards

Your Philly Coordinator Barbara
degatano

Post by degatano »

It appears I missed the August meeting. I am very interested in joining your group for your next meeting. How can I get on your list?
My husband and I are recent retirees and have most assets with Vanguard and would love a chance to meet others.
Thanks,
Jeanne
marnie

Post by marnie »

Dear Jeanne,
I read your post on the philly thread. If you would like to be added to the Philly Chapter group please send me the email adress as a private message that I should use to include you. I will add you to the list and you will receive emails with the agenda. The next meeting is scheduled for November 14, 2015 at 11am at Champps in KoP (the usual place).
The information is posted on the Philly Thread as well.

Thanks for your interest in joining the group.
Have a great weekend and I hope I will see you and your husband in November

vtredinnick

Post by vtredinnick »

I too missed the August meeting and plan to attend in November. I'd like to be added to the group list. I tried to PM, but the system says "We are sorry, but you are not authorized to use this feature. You may have just registered here and may need to participate more to be able to use this feature." I'll keep trying, though!
Victoria
marnie

Draft agenda for Philadelphia PA Area Bogleheads Chapter meeting November 14, 2015

Post by marnie »

Dear Philly Bogleheads,
looking forward to seeing you on November 14, 2015 at our next Chapter meeting!
So far we have the following draft agenda for the upcoming Philly Chapter meeting on November 14, 2015 at 11am
Champps in King of Prussia, 330 Goddard Boulevard (next to the movie theater, close to the mall)
Feel free to send me any other suggestions for topics!!

1. Introduction
2. Highlights from the Boglehead Conference (Barbara, Michael and those who attended the meeting)
3. Short book review about "Nudge" by Richard Thaler and Cass Sunstein (Michael). How small and often insignificant things can influence (or "nudge") our financial choices and behaviour.
4. Q&A (all)
Note: The discussion on LLC had to be postponed to February 2016 due to scheduling conflicts with the presenter.
5. Discuss topics for the next meeting (February 13, 2016). suggestions: LLC, consolidate assets why, when, how?
6. Any other business

Kind regards
marnie

Final Agenda for upcoming Philly Chapter Meeting November 14, 2015 at 11am.

Post by marnie »

Dear Philly Bogleheads,
Please find below the final agenda for our next Philly Chapter Meeting. I am looking forward to seeing you on November 14, 2015 at 11am at our next Chapter meeting!

1. Introduction
2. Highlights from the Boglehead Conference (Barbara, Michael and those who attended the meeting)
3. Short book review about "Nudge" by Richard Thaler and Cass Sunstein (Michael). How small and often insignificant things can influence (or "nudge") our financial choices and behaviour.
4. Q&A (all)
Note: The discussion on LLC had to be postponed to February 2016 due to scheduling conflicts with the presenter.
5. Discuss topics for the next meeting (February 13, 2016). suggestions: LLC, consolidate assets why, when, how?
6. Any other business

Kind regards
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This is a reminder for the meeting tomorrow (Saturday).

I'm bringing some of the extra Bogleheads Conference handouts (paperback publications) and will give them to those who did not attend the conference.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
DogsRule

Post by DogsRule »

Would like to attend the February meeting for the Philadelphia Chapter. I am unable to PM. I get that "you are too new" message. I assume more details about the meeting will show up here.

Thx
marnie

Draft agenda for the next Philly Chapter meeting on February 13, 2016

Post by marnie »

Dear Philly Bogleheads,
happy new year to all of you. Looking forward to seeing you in February.
Here is the draft agenda for our meeting on February 13, 2016 at 11am at Champps in King of Prussia, 330 Goddard Boulevard (next to the movie theater, close to the mall).
Please send me any suggestions you might have.

1. Introduction
2. Factors to consider when starting an LLC (Mary Lou)
3. Open discussion on: donor advised funds (Fidelity, Vanguard), updated Social Security, investing in Germany (all)
4. Topics for next meeting

I appreciate your input

with kind regards
marnie

Final Agenda Philly Chapter meeting February 13, 2016

Post by marnie »

Dear Philly Bogleheads,
Looking forward to seeing you in February.
Here is the final agenda for our meeting on February 13, 2016 at 11am at Champps in King of Prussia, 330 Goddard Boulevard (next to the movie theater, close to the mall).

1. Introduction
2. Factors to consider when starting an LLC (Mary Lou)
3. Open discussion on: donor advised funds (Fidelity, Vanguard), updated Social Security, investing in Germany (all)
4. Topics for next meeting

with kind regards
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I want to thank marnie for the interesting meeting.

Someone asked how to send a Private Message in the forum. Here's a video: Sending private messages

A slightly older version of the forum software is shown. The Private messages link is in the upper right menu.

Here is a direct link: Private messages
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
marnie

Next Philly Chapter meeting June 11, 2016 11am. Draft agenda

Post by marnie »

Dear Philly Chapter members,
based on availability of presenters we decided to move the "spring" meeting from May 14, 2016 to NOW SATURDAY JUNE 11, 2016. We will meet as usual at 11am at Champp's in King of Prussia, 330 Goddard Boulevard (next to the movie theater, close to the mall).
The date of the "fall" meeting will be October 1, 2016 (same time, same location). This date was picked because Mel Lindauer agreed to attend as a special guest. Please mark your calendar!

Here is the draft agenda for the meeting on June 11, 2016
Introduction
Getting your things in order (Beverly)
Taxes while receiving Social Security (PapaGeek)
Collect questions for Mel Lindauer at the meeting in October.

Please send other suggestions for the agenda.

Kind regards
CashBalance

Re: Next Philly Chapter meeting June 11, 2016 11am. Draft agenda

Post by CashBalance »

marnie wrote:Dear Philly Chapter members,
based on availability of presenters we decided to move the "spring" meeting from May 14, 2016 to NOW SATURDAY JUNE 11, 2016. We will meet as usual at 11am at Champp's in King of Prussia, 330 Goddard Boulevard (next to the movie theater, close to the mall).
The date of the "fall" meeting will be October 1, 2016 (same time, same location). This date was picked because Mel Lindauer agreed to attend as a special guest. Please mark your calendar!

Here is the draft agenda for the meeting on June 11, 2016
Introduction

Please send other suggestions for the agenda.

Kind regards
I'm a Bucks County resident. Is there a process for joining the group and registering for the meeting or should I just show up? Thanks.
marnie

Final Agenda Philly Chapter meeting June 11, 2016

Post by marnie »

please find below the final agenda for our Philly Chapter Meeting on June 11, 2016.
We will meet as usual at 11am at Champp's in King of Prussia, 330 Goddard Boulevard (next to the movie theater, close to the mall).

Introduction

This time Donna will be leading the meeting as I am traveling abroad.

Kind regards

PS. For new people who are interested in joining the group: please send me an email at "phillyboglehead@gmail.com" with your contact information (name, email) for inclusion in the group and feel free to come to the meeting.
marnie

Final agenda for our upcoming Philly Chapter Meeting October 1, 2016 11am

Post by marnie »

Final agenda for our upcoming Philly Chapter Meeting October 1, 2016 11am

please find below the final agenda for our Philly Chapter Meeting on October 1, 2016.
We will meet as usual at 11am at Champp's in King of Prussia, 330 Goddard Boulevard (next to the movie theater, close to the mall).
Introduction
Highlights from the Boglehead Conference (all who attended the Conference)
Open "Questions and Answers" session with Mel Lindauer, our special guest for the meeting (all)
Any other business, based on your input
Please come prepared with questions for Mel. Looking forward to the meeting with

kind regards
Scranton Man

Post by Scranton Man »

Hi everyone,

This is only my second post on the forum.

I am a huge follower of the Bogleheads and would love to attend a future meeting in the Philadelphia area.

I live in nepa and am about 2 hrs away via the ne-extension of the pa turnpike.

Any suggestions would be truly appreciated.

Best,
Dave
marnie

Post by marnie »

Hi Dave,
our next Philly Chapter meeting will be held on February 4, 2017 at 11am at Champps in King of Prussia, close to the Mall on Goddard Boulevard. I will send out the agenda a month before the meeting (lasts usually 2 hours and we talk and have lunch). Please let me know if I should add your email address (please provide) to the list. Would be great if you could join us.

Yours
Philly Coordinator Barbara
Scranton Man

Post by Scranton Man »

Hi Marnie,

Yes, I would love to attend that meeting on February 4th.

I will send you a msg with my email address.

Ty,
Dave
timtekk

Post by timtekk »

Good morning all,
My first post here. I am a moderate n00b with investing but have a good friend who recommended Bogleheads to me and has helped me along the way. I am looking to attend the Philly Chapter meeting on Feb. 4, 2017 in KOP. Any directions or information for this would be helpful, thank you.

Tim
marnie

Draft agenda for the Philly Chapter meeting on February 4, 2017

Post by marnie »

Dears,
Happy New Year to all of you. Let's reconnect on February 4, 2017 for our first Philly Chapter Meeting of the year. As usual: 11am at Champps King of Prussia (330 Goddard Blvd. close to the Mall, next to the Movie Theater).

The draft agenda for the meeting:
Short round of introductions
Considerations/decisions on Roth conversion for retirees (John) plus discussion (all)
Asset allocation (all)
Tax loss harvesting: experience/advice (all)

Topics and suggestions for the next meeting(s).

Dates for the meetings in 2017:
May 6
August 5
November 11

Please send me other suggestions you might have.

Kind regards
marnie

Re: Final agenda for the Philly Chapter Meeting on February 4, 2017

Post by marnie »

Final agenda for the Philly Chapter Meeting on February 4, 2017

please see the final agenda for our first Philly Chapter Meeting of the year on February 4, 2017. As usual: 11am at Champps King of Prussia (330 Goddard Blvd. close to the Mall, next to the Movie Theater).

AGENDA
Short round of introductions
Considerations/decisions on Roth conversion for retirees (John) plus discussion (all)
Asset allocation (all)
Tax loss harvesting: experience/advice (all)

Topics and suggestions for the next meeting(s).

Dates for the other meetings in 2017:
May 6
August 5
November 11

See you next week.

Kind regards
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This is a reminder for the meeting tomorrow.
Scranton Man

Post by Scranton Man »

I just wanted to thank everyone who presented and shared at my first meeting.

I also would like to thank everyone who stayed after the meeting and spoke with Tim and me.

The lectures were full of an abundance of prudent information.

It was a pleasure to spend an afternoon with likeminded people who are willing to share their investing wisdom with others.

I look forward to attending the May meeting.

Best,
Dave
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Likewise, it was a pleasure to meet everyone. Here are the wiki links for the topics we discussed at the meeting:

- Retiree Portfolio Model, this rather imposing spreadsheet contains a section that will help you with Roth conversions. If anyone has a question on the spreadsheet, by all means ask in the support thread: Retiree Portfolio Model

- Social Security tax impact calculator, this is PapaGeek's "hump" spreadsheet.* The graphs from the presentation (how Roth Conversion can impact your Social Security taxes) are made from this spreadsheet.

From my impromptu discussion:

- Remember to focus on the "big picture". What's discussed at these meetings may not apply to your situation. If you are paying 1% AUM (Assets Under Management) to a financial advisor who's got you into high cost funds, there are bigger fish to fry than worrying about a Roth Conversion. (Group discussion on this point.)

- Asset allocation, the section "Ability, willingness, and need" is the key to setting your asset allocation - the single most import factor that determines your portfolio's return. Follow the link to Risk tolerance.

* Sorry, we should have mentioned his forum username at the meeting. There's no relation to me.
timtekk

Post by timtekk »

To all chapter members that were present at the Feb 4th meeting: thank you again for the conversation, advice and friendship. I look forward to scouring the forums more and attending meetings in the future.

Sue, I couldn't keep notes fast enough, I simply put my phone down and recorded much of your segment of the meeting. It's advice that will last a lifetime and I'm glad I have it recorded :)

Thank you all again, keep in touch.

Tim Mc.
(a.k.a TimTekk).
Daryl

Post by Daryl »

I hope to attend the next meeting, if only to meet some of you!

The Google Calendar event goes from 11 - 12. Is that pretty typical? Unfortunately, I'll need to leave right after lunch in order to make it to New York City for the 5 Boro Bicycle Tour.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The meeting is scheduled for 2 hours, from 11 AM - 1 PM. I fixed the Google calendar entry: Upcoming events

If you're local and within a short commute - stop on by to say quick hi. Otherwise, you'll probably want to take the bike tour.

FYI - We're putting local chapter info in the blog, see: Bogleheads Local Chapters: Now in the Bogleheads Blog!

If anyone would like to update the content, post here or in the above thread. (I'm one of the blog editors.)
rmrski1

Post by rmrski1 »

Is there still a bogleheads group meeting in the Philadelphia region? If so, can you please provide details?
marnie

Post by marnie »

Dears,
our next meeting will be held on May 6, 2017 at 11am at Champps, 330 Goddard Blvd. King of Prussia 19406 (close to the Mall, next to the movie theater).
Here is the final agenda for the meeting.

Agenda:
• Introduction (all)

• Personal Finance Reporting & Management (Mitch)

• Open discussion of topics and questions, for example:

o Tax loss harvesting, estimate tax payments

Dates for upcoming meetings: August 5, November 11

To speed up the process, please remember to bring cash to pay for your lunch.

See you next week.
Your
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Bumping for visibility.
Daryl

Post by Daryl »

LadyGeek wrote: If you're local and within a short commute - stop on by to say quick hi. Otherwise, you'll probably want to take the bike tour.
I might be able to win an award for shortest commute, but unfortunately, I won't be able to make it this weekend. I look forward to joining the group for the following meeting.
marnie

Draft agenda for the next Philly Chapter meeting on August 5, 2017

Post by marnie »

Dears,
Our next meeting will be held on August 5, 2017 at 11am at Champps, 330 Goddard Blvd. King of Prussia 19406 (close to the Mall, next to the movie theater).
Here is the draft agenda for our upcoming meeting. Please send me any other suggestions you might have.

Draft agenda:
• Introduction (all)
• My favorite Boglehead concepts (Steve)
• My favorite finance bloggers (Michael)
• Update on recent discussions (Barbara)
• Question and Answers (all)
• Suggestion of topics for the next meeting (all)

The following meeting will be held on November 11, 2017.
Kind regards
Philly Chapter Coordinator Barbara
msarro

Post by msarro »

Hey folks! Just wondering if there are any attendees who live in the Lehigh Valley, or who know of a similar group in the Lehigh Valley?

While I live in Bethlehem, work in Philly, I leverage trains a lot and getting to KoP is going to be a bit problematic.
marnie

Final agenda for Phill Chapter meeting on August 5, 2017

Post by marnie »

Our next meeting will be held on August 5, 2017 at 11am at Champps, 330 Goddard Blvd. King of Prussia 19406 (close to the Mall, next to the movie theater).
Here is the final agenda for our upcoming meeting.

Draft agenda:
· Introduction (all)
· My favorite Boglehead concepts (Steve)
· My favorite finance bloggers (Michael)
· Update on recent discussions (Barbara)
· Question and Answers (all)
· Suggestion of topics for the next meeting (all)

Our fall meeting will be held on November 11, 2017.

Kind regards
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Bumping for visibility, the meeting is tomorrow.
marnie

Draft agenda: Philly Chapter meeting November 11, 2017 at 11am

Post by marnie »

Dear Bogleheads,
here is the draft agenda for our upcoming meeting in November. Please send me any other suggestions you might have.
Looking forward to seeing you in a few weeks.
Your

Draft agenda Philly Chapter meeting November 11, 2017
at 11am at Champps King of Prussia (330 Goddard Blvd. close to the Mall, next to the Movie Theater).

· Introductions (all)

· Highlights of the annual Boglehead Conference (by those who attended)

· Overview on IRMAA (income-related monthly adjustment amount, Medicare) (John)

· Personal experience with ROTH conversions (John)

· Discussion with Erin Arvedlund, journalist of “The Inquirer” (all)

· Suggestion of topics for meeting in February 2018
marnie

Agenda Philly Chapter meeting November 11, 2017 at 11am at Champps King of Prussia (330 Goddard Blvd.)

Post by marnie »

Agenda Philly Chapter meeting November 11, 2017
at 11am at Champps King of Prussia (330 Goddard Blvd. close to the Mall, next to the Movie Theater).

Dear Philly Chapter group,
please find below the final agenda for our upcoming Philly Chapter meeting on November 11, 2017. Looking forward to seeing you.
Kind regards
Your Philly Chapter coordinator
Barbara

· Introductions (all)

· Highlights of the annual Boglehead Conference (by those who attended)

· Overview on IRMAA (income-related monthly adjustment amount, Medicare) (John)

· Personal experience with ROTH conversions (John)

· Discussion with Erin Arvedlund, journalist of “The Inquirer” and John Marchese, journalist of the “Philadelphia Magazine” (all)

· Suggestion of topics for meeting in February 2018
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Bumping for visibility, the meeting is tomorrow (Saturday).
DartThrower

Post by DartThrower »

I just wanted to stop by and thank our chapter coordinator and presenters for the outstanding meeting we had yesterday. It was both fun and very informative. One of our best meetings ever! The two hours really flew by.
After one has played a vast quantity of notes and more notes, it is simplicity that emerges as the crowning reward of art. Chopin
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I'd also like to thank the chapter coordinator and presenters for a very "enthusiastic" discussion.

To clarify, Erin Arvedlund (journalist from “The Inquirer”) was ill and did not attend the meeting.
prk

how do i post a new topic?

Post by prk »

i have not logged in for a while

i am trying to post a new topic, but I can't find a new post link

so a had to reply to this thread

help?
Miriam2

Re: how do i post a new topic?

Post by Miriam2 »

prk wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:10 pm i have not logged in for a while.
i am trying to post a new topic, but I can't find a new post link.
so a had to reply to this thread.
help?
Go to the Forum Home page with the list of forums (such as "Investing-Help with Personal Investments")
Click on the particular forum in which you wish to place your new post.
Once in the forum, click on the "New Topic" button near the top to bring up the window to create your new post.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Start from the Board index, then watch this tutorial: How to create a new topic in phpBB
marnie

Post by marnie »

Draft Agenda: Philly Chapter Meeting February 10, 2018

· Introductions (all)

· Long Term Care Insurance – Points to Consider (Randy)

· The New Tax Law – Changes that could impact you (Steve)

· Suggestion of topics for meeting in May 2018

The meeting will be led by Donna, I will be traveling.

Your Philly Chapter Coordinator

Barbara
marnie

Post by marnie »

Final Agenda: Philly Chapter Meeting February 10, 2018

· Introductions (all)

· Long Term Care Insurance – Points to Consider (Randy)

· The New Tax Law – Changes that could impact you (Steve)

· Suggestion of topics for meeting in May 2018

The meeting will be led by Donna, I will be traveling.

Kind regards

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Bumping for visibility. The meeting is tomorrow (Saturday).
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

LittleDuff

next meeting

Post by LittleDuff »

When is the next meeting of the Philadelphia chapter?
jxm3546

Boglehead meeting in KIng of Prussia, PA

Post by jxm3546 »

Philly Inquirer yesterday ran an article on this web forum. Also mentioned chapters that get together 4 times a year. Do you need to sign up for this or do you just show up? It's scheduled for May 12th in King of Prussia. Thanks