NE Ohio (Cleveland Area) Master Thread

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
onmyway33

Re: NE Ohio (Cleveland Area) Master Thread

Post by onmyway33 »

North East Ohio Bogleheads,

I am disappointed to announce that we have decided to cancel our next scheduled Bogleheads meeting out of concern for the well being of our meeting attendees, plus the library has cancelled the meeting rooms scheduled for this weekend. We will plan to resume meetings in May. Additional information will be provided closer to the meeting.

If any of you are interested (and would like to divert your attention from current news), I recommend you watch the PBS Frontline special "The retirement gamble" that aired on April 23 2013. It provides lot of great deal of background information into index fund investing, features Jack Bogle prominently, and may be a bit reassuring in these troubling times. Maybe it will help steady your financial ship amidst choppy waters as it has mine.

Here is a link: https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film ... nt-gamble/

I wish you all good health, a level head, and that you stay your financial course,

Chris
"When the market's going up, we think it's going to go up forever. When the market goes down, we think it's going to go down forever. Neither of those things actually happen" - John C. Bogle
bobinberea

Post by bobinberea »

Indeed, good health and wholeness to one and all!

Bob Fowler/BobinBerea
onmyway33

Post by onmyway33 »

The Columbus, Ohio Bogleheads chapter has very graciously invited us to attend their next scheduled chapter meeting, which will be held online using Zoom. The meeting is scheduled for 3pm to 5pm on Sunday, April 5th .

More information regarding the meeting can be found on their chapter thread, here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=226070&start=100

If you wish to attend, please contact the Columbus chapter coordinator, sign up for their meeting list, or you may contact me for additional information.

I wish you all good health and a steady compass to guide you amidst stormy financial seas,

Chris
"When the market's going up, we think it's going to go up forever. When the market goes down, we think it's going to go down forever. Neither of those things actually happen" - John C. Bogle
RetiredMarine

Post by RetiredMarine »

This is Mark, the organizer of the Columbus Bogleheads. Just wanted to welcome you to our meeting next weekend - I know it's also a different day and time than you're used to, but I hope you're able to join us for what ought to be an interesting meeting/discussion.

I also wanted to let you know that we changed the start time of the meeting to 2:30pm on Sunday (5April - vice 3:00) to accommodate introductions from everybody. This will be our chapter's first ever online meeting - although there has been desire in the past by some to make technology available for call-ins.

I gave your coordinator the Zoom meeting link for you to join us as you desire. Take care and hope to see/meet some of you next weekend.

Mark
RetiredMarine

Post by RetiredMarine »

P.S. More info. will be coming in the next few days on potential topics/tech tips for using Zoom.
RetiredMarine

Post by RetiredMarine »

Just a few items regarding our online meeting this Sunday (5 Apr) at 2:30.

Topic input includes the market, rebalancing, tax-loss harvesting, stimulus legislation & marginal tax rates.

Not sure we’ll have time to fully cover all these, but after the initial starter slides (as applicable for any new members) and introductions we’ll start with the market and go from there.

Here’s a couple of links to review before the meeting regarding some of the topic input:

https://www.whitecoatinvestor.com/bear- ... ld-you-do/
(Things to do and not to do during a bear market)

https://www.kitces.com/blog/analyzing-t ... -pandemic/
(Summary of the CARES Act – stimulus legislation)

Since we’ll be doing the meeting on Zoom, here’s a few Zoom tips and a link covering basic meeting attendee controls:

Keep yourself muted when you’re not talking – to reduce background noise, especially if we have 40-50+ people on the line.

Get on the video call a few minutes early to ensure your video/audio are working and to familiarize yourself with the controls as necessary. (download the app/desktop client software as needed first – or use the Zoom web portal)

Main non-verbal feedback features include: Raising your hand & thumbs up/down

Chat feature also exists (for asking questions) – chat can be to all participants or 1 to 1. Following is the link for meeting attendee controls:

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articl ... -a-Meeting
During the meeting, please plan to ask questions or make comments via the chat or “hand-raising” feature.

See you all on Sunday. Take care and stay healthy.
RetiredMarine

Post by RetiredMarine »

North East Bogleheads,

You're again invited to join the Columbus Bogleheads meeting online at 3-5pm on 10 May. More info. is at the following thread:viewtopic.php?f=9&t=226070&p=5184219#p5184219
RetiredMarine

Post by RetiredMarine »

North East Bogleheads,

As a reminder, you're invited to join the Columbus Bogleheads meeting online at 3-5pm on Sunday, 10 May. More info. is at the following thread:viewtopic.php?f=9&t=226070&start=100
RetiredMarine

Post by RetiredMarine »

North East Bogleheads,

You're again invited to join the Columbus Bogleheads meeting online this Sunday (14 June) at 3-5pm. More info. is at the following thread:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=226070&start=100
RetiredMarine

Post by RetiredMarine »

North East Bogleheads,

As a reminder, you're invited to join the Columbus Bogleheads meeting online today at 3-5pm (12 July). More info. is at the following thread:viewtopic.php?f=9&t=226070&start=100
RetiredMarine

Post by RetiredMarine »

North East Bogleheads,

As a reminder, you're invited to join the Columbus Bogleheads meeting online tomorrow at 3-5 (9 August). More info. is at the following thread:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=226070&newpost=5421 ... ead#unread
RetiredMarine

Post by RetiredMarine »

North East Bogleheads,

As a reminder, you're invited to join the Columbus Bogleheads meeting online on Sunday, 13 September from 3-5pm at 3-5pm. More info. is at the following thread:

FrugalLlama

Post by FrugalLlama »

onmyway33 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:29 pm North East Ohio Bogleheads,

I am disappointed to announce that we have decided to cancel our next scheduled Bogleheads meeting out of concern for the well being of our meeting attendees, plus the library has cancelled the meeting rooms scheduled for this weekend. We will plan to resume meetings in May. Additional information will be provided closer to the meeting.

If any of you are interested (and would like to divert your attention from current news), I recommend you watch the PBS Frontline special "The retirement gamble" that aired on April 23 2013. It provides lot of great deal of background information into index fund investing, features Jack Bogle prominently, and may be a bit reassuring in these troubling times. Maybe it will help steady your financial ship amidst choppy waters as it has mine.

Here is a link: https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film ... nt-gamble/

I wish you all good health, a level head, and that you stay your financial course,

Chris
Good evening Chris,

I'd like to get added onto the mailing list to get updates about future meetings that will be held. I tried sending you a private message, but a notification popped up telling me that I'm not authorized to use that feature without participating more in discussions. Hopefully I'll be able to now, but if not I'll try to send my email another way.

Thank you,
Kevin
Last edited by FrugalLlama on Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
onmyway33

Post by onmyway33 »

Kevin,

I am happy to add you to the list. I sent you a PM with some additional details. Please let me know if you do not receive it.

Thanks and be well.
bobinberea

Post by bobinberea »

Greetings, all Bogleheads,
I'm sorry that we're not meeting face-to-face, but I think it's wise. My wife and I do everything we can to avoid going out in public. I think that will be our practice for some time to come. It's the safest course of action, I'm convinced.
Best wishes to all,
Bob Fowler/BobinBerea
Jonbuck

Post by Jonbuck »

Happy Labor Day!

I found the Boglheads Forum earlier this year. Unfortunately at the start of the pandemic. I have found reading through the Forum to be very helpful and inspiring and I would love to engage in the local Boglehead's chapter. How would I get included in being sent information regarding the Cleveland Area Chapter etc.

Thanks.
RetiredMarine

Post by RetiredMarine »

North East Bogleheads,

Reminder that you're invited to join our Columbus Bogleheads Zoom meeting - Sunday, 13 sept from 3-5pm.

Details in the following thread: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=226070&newpost=5488 ... ead#unread

Also, the financial/tax plan referred to in the above thread has been added to our Columbus Bogleheads Google Group.
TechieTechie

Post by TechieTechie »

Hallo!

I am a recent boomerang-er (grew up in NCO, left for 30 years, recently moved back) and would like to join the club.

Particularly interested in excellent fee for service financial planners here :)

Thanks!

Techie
Pushkin

Post by Pushkin »

I’m just south of Cleveland.
RetiredMarine

Post by RetiredMarine »

North East Bogleheads,

Reminder that you're invited to join our Columbus Bogleheads Zoom meeting this Sunday, 11 October from 3-5pm.

Details in the following thread:

RetiredMarine

Post by RetiredMarine »

North East Bogleheads,

Reminder that you're invited to join our Columbus Bogleheads Zoom meeting next Sunday, 13 December from 3-5pm.

Details in the following thread:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=226070&p=5633803#p5633803
RetiredMarine

Post by RetiredMarine »

North East Bogleheads,

Reminder that you're invited to join our Columbus Bogleheads Zoom meeting Sunday, 10 January from 3-5pm. There's an additional meeting on 6 January at 9pm to which you're also invited.

Details in the following threads:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=226070&start=150
RetiredMarine

Post by RetiredMarine »

Reminder that you're invited to join our Columbus Bogleheads Zoom meeting this Sunday, 21 February from 3-5pm.

Details in the following thread: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=226070&p=5819765#p5819765
RetiredMarine

Post by RetiredMarine »

Reminder that you're invited to join our Columbus Bogleheads Zoom meeting this Sunday, 11 April from 3-5pm.

Details in the following thread: viewtopic.php?p=5926825#p5926825
Jonbuck

Post by Jonbuck »

Is the Northeast Ohio Bogkeheads chapter meeting in person again? If so when and where? Thanks.
RetiredMarine

Post by RetiredMarine »

A late reminder that you're invited to join our Columbus Bogleheads Zoom meeting this Sunday, 13 June from 3-5pm.

Details in the following thread: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=226070&p=6060409#p6060409
RetiredMarine

Post by RetiredMarine »

North East Bogleheads,

A late reminder that you're invited to join our Columbus Bogleheads meeting via Zoom this Sunday, 8 August from 3-5pm.

Details in the following thread: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=226070&p=6152642#p6152642
bobinberea

Post by bobinberea »

NE Ohio--Cleveland area Bogleheads---anybody out there? I just stumbled upon this site after months (years?) away from it. I've been hunkering down in my home bunker throughout the pandemic, and I'm still reluctant to venture out in public.

Boglehead principles have helped my retirement savings grow abundantly ever since the Great Recession [political comment removed by moderator oldcomputerguy].

Greetings and best wishes to all....

BobinBerea
robert.fowler@bw.edu
Jonbuck

Post by Jonbuck »

Yes! Still alive and well. I have been part of Bogleheads for a while now and I am interested in attending an in person gathering or zoom gathering for Northeast Ohio, but have not received any information as to any meetings occurring during this time. I’d like to be added to a list if there is one.

Thanks.
tannoa2

Post by tannoa2 »

HI bogelheads fellows, are there any local meetings happening in NE Ohio ?
onmyway33

Post by onmyway33 »

Hello NE Ohio Bogleheads,

If anyone is interested in resuming our chapter activities which had been put on a pause due to COVID, I would be happy to help facilitate. I see that the Cuyahoga County Public Libraries are once again allowing no-charge use of their meeting rooms, which we have used in the past.

If anyone has any interest in gathering (and even better, if you are interested in leading a group discussion, presenting any financial topics, or helping to organize the group) please private message me.

Thanks everyone and be well.
veindoc

Post by veindoc »

I’d be interested in attending a meeting. Please keep me posted.
tannoa2

Post by tannoa2 »

Hi @onmyway33,
I would be interested in in-person meeting as well.
Eagle33

Post by Eagle33 »

I have some interest in attending in-person meetings.
CyberBob

Post by CyberBob »

Count me in on resuming our meetings.
Hoosier

Post by Hoosier »

Me as well.
Jonbuck

Post by Jonbuck »

I am interested in getting together. I joined the group at the beginning of the pandemic and have yet to be able to attend an in person gathering. I have gained so much value from the forum and would love to connect with others with like minded approaches.
sleevelessjerry

Post by sleevelessjerry »

i would also like to attend an in person event.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

I'm in Erie, PA and would consider driving to Cleveland for an in-person event with this group if it is on a Saturday.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
orthros

Cleveland / NE Ohio Bogleheads - Dormant?

Post by orthros »

[Thread merged into here --admin LadyGeek]

We had a meeting pre-COVID at the North Royalton Library but I haven't heard anything since.

Is it still active? Because if not I'd really like to kickstart it back into existence.
Jonbuck

Re: Cleveland / NE Ohio Bogleheads - Dormant?

Post by Jonbuck »

I live in Northeast Ohio and would be interested in attending an in person meeting if one is planned.
onmyway33

Re: Cleveland / NE Ohio Bogleheads - Dormant?

Post by onmyway33 »

Hello NEO Bogleheads,

The chapter hasn't met as a group since early in 2020 when I was doing some chapter coordination, but I am also interested in meeting. I will put up a post on our Chapter thread to gauge interest.

Feel free to PM me, too, if you have interest.

Thanks.
onmyway33

Post by onmyway33 »

Hello NEO Bogleheads,

I hope that this message finds you all well.

Our chapter hasn't met since early 2020 due to COVID, but some have expressed interest in meeting again. I was doing some of our chapter coordination prior to our pause in meetings and I am also interested in getting together.

Can others respond to this thread or private message me if you are interested in attending? Additionally, is anyone interested in assuming coordination of the chapter meetings? I am happy to help restart our meetings and get things afloat but would like to transition the chapter leadership to others.

Thanks, all.
Last edited by onmyway33 on Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I merged orthros' thread into the ongoing discussion.

(Thanks to the member who reported the post and provided a link to this thread.)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
EdNorton

Post by EdNorton »

How about we meet 2 weeks from today in Hilton Head, weather permitting?
:sharebeer
Outside a dog, a book is man's best friend, inside a dog, it's too dark to read - Groucho
Centinel

Post by Centinel »

I would definitely be interested in meeting! 8-)

I haven't attended frequently, so I wouldn't necessarily volunteer myself for a leadership position, but I do have plenty of experience planning events for local Meetup groups, so I may be able to help with the coordination aspect if necessary.
“Truth need never be shouted to achieve its effect - only spoken and sometimes whispered."
Designairohio

Post by Designairohio »

I would be interested in meeting also and to help any way I can.
craigwb

Post by craigwb »

I am new to the Bogleheads and to this chapter. I would be very interested in attending a meeting1
bradinsky

Post by bradinsky »

I’m interested but have a knee replacement scheduled for next month. Please post any updated thoughts on possible meetings. Thank you!
Ddwhiteiris

Post by Ddwhiteiris »

Interested in meeting, thank you!