NE Ohio (Cleveland Area) Master Thread

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
bobinberea

Re: NE Ohio (Cleveland Area) Master Thread

Post by bobinberea »

Darn, I have another conflict! One of these months I'm going to surprise you all by showing up for once.

BobinBerea
JBeck

Post by JBeck »

I live close by in Brunswick and would be interested in joining. What's that process look like? How many participants are in the NE Ohio chapter?
onmyway33

Post by onmyway33 »

JBeck,

The process to join is very simple. It is usually started by attending a meeting and providing your email address. Then you are on our email list and considered a member!

There are about 40 folks on our meeting email send out list. We usually get about 20-30 attendees at a meeting, with winter meetings sometimes on the lower side due to weather and some of our members being snow birds. Our meetings are very informal where attendee participation and sharing of ideas is strongly encouraged.

Hope to see you there.
"When the market's going up, we think it's going to go up forever. When the market goes down, we think it's going to go down forever. Neither of those things actually happen" - John C. Bogle
JBeck

Post by JBeck »

Thanks for the info!
jlint3024

Post by jlint3024 »

2019 - Is this group still active?
bobinberea

Post by bobinberea »

Oh, yes, quite active. It meets every other month. The last meeting was in early December, so the next meeting should be in early February. There tends not to be much discussion on this online site.

BobinBerea
Russianbear

Post by Russianbear »

I live in Brunswick. How can I get in on this action?
SagaciousTraveler

Post by SagaciousTraveler »

Has a February date been picked?

Thank you.
JBeck

Post by JBeck »

Russianbear wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:55 pm I live in Brunswick. How can I get in on this action?
Brunswick here as well!
Hoosier

Post by Hoosier »

Is there a meeting scheduled this Saturday?
onmyway33

Post by onmyway33 »

North East Ohio Bogleheads,

I wanted to remind you all that our next meeting is scheduled for this Saturday February 9th from 10am until noon at the North Royalton Public Library (5071 Wallings Road • North Royalton, OH 44133) in meeting room 121.

We are planning to discuss tax preparation and short term saving strategies.

As always, we are open to discuss other topics from the meeting attendees.

I hope to see you all there.
"When the market's going up, we think it's going to go up forever. When the market goes down, we think it's going to go down forever. Neither of those things actually happen" - John C. Bogle
bobinberea

Post by bobinberea »

For the first time ages, I think I can attend. See you all then.

Bob Fowler/BobinBerea
vttigger

Post by vttigger »

Hi all, I am a newbie and female. Any female attendees in the past?
Thanks.
bobinberea

Post by bobinberea »

Oh, yes, plenty of females. We're a fairly diverse group. Quite a few people who are retired, but at the same time there are folks in their 30s who have decades to go before retirement. Lots of different work histories present. The differences in personal perspectives on investing, saving for retirement, etc., is very helpful to hear.

BobinBerea
vttigger

Post by vttigger »

Thank you, bobinberea. Looking forward to meeting you all this Saturday.
Joan
sockmunkee

Post by sockmunkee »

New person here. I see that I just missed the meeting this Saturday. Can I get added to the distribution so I know when the next meeting is scheduled?
bobinberea

Post by bobinberea »

We meet every two months, the second Saturday of the month, at the North Royalton Public Library (5071 Wallings Road • North Royalton, OH 44133). The next meeting will be on April 13. I'll send an email to our organizer, so you can be put on our email list.

BobinBerea/Bob Fowler
Russianbear

Post by Russianbear »

bobinberea wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:16 pm We meet every two months, the second Saturday of the month, at the North Royalton Public Library (5071 Wallings Road • North Royalton, OH 44133). The next meeting will be on April 13. I'll send an email to our organizer, so you can be put on our email list.

BobinBerea/Bob Fowler
I’d like to get on that list too. I’m in my early 40s, got student loan debt and am afraid I’ll never retire.
The Money SGT

Post by The Money SGT »

bobinberea wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:16 pm We meet every two months, the second Saturday of the month, at the North Royalton Public Library (5071 Wallings Road • North Royalton, OH 44133). The next meeting will be on April 13. I'll send an email to our organizer, so you can be put on our email list.

BobinBerea/Bob Fowler
I'm a newer user here as well. Could I get on that e-mail list? I would like to join this meeting.
onmyway33

Post by onmyway33 »

Hello all new and interested members of the North East Ohio (Cleveland) chapter.

Could you please PM (personal message) me your email address and I will add you to the group email?

Thank you,
onmyway33

Post by onmyway33 »

I wanted to remind you all that our next meeting is scheduled for this Saturday April 13th from 10am until noon at the North Royalton Public Library (5071 Wallings Road • North Royalton, OH 44133) in meeting room 124.

We are planning to discuss nursing homes and how one can adequately prepare. I hope that we can generate some lively discussion from those with knowledge of the nursing home industry and those with first hand experience.

As always, we are open to discuss other topics from the meeting attendees.

I hope to see you all there.
bobinberea

Post by bobinberea »

I hope to be there, because the topic is rich, but family obligations may prevent me from attending. I'll be there if I can.

BobinBerea/Bob Fowler
onmyway33

Post by onmyway33 »

Due to scheduling conflicts, I would like to postpone our next meeting until Saturday July 13th from 10am until noon at the North Royalton Public Library (5071 Wallings Road • North Royalton, OH 44133) in meeting room 124.

If anyone has any topics that they would like to discuss, please PM (personal message) me.

I also encourage any chapter members who wish to present any subjects to do so. You need not be a financial professional or expert in the respective topic or prepare a formal presentation, but just need to help lead the group discussion.

Thank you,
bobinberea

Post by bobinberea »

At this point, July 13 works for me. I'm afraid I have nothing up my sleeve that I could present. However, by then my wife and I had better have firm Medicare plans made, to begin coverage on August 1. At this point, it's impossible to tell how that will turn out.

BobinBerea/Bob Fowler
Fclevz

Post by Fclevz »

Bumping this for visibility, since the original meeting - now cancelled, apparently - was supposed to be tomorrow.
bobinberea

Post by bobinberea »

Yep, I still have July 13 on my calendar for our next meeting.

BobinBerea/Bob Fowler
diverski

Post by diverski »

Wanted to share this to any who might be interested in our group...

Trying to get a movie screening of the "Playing with FIRE" documentary for July 15th at the Regal Willoughby Commons Stadium 16 (36655 Euclid Ave, Willoughby), but need more people to commit to attending in order to make it happen. Take a look at the trailer / sign up here if interested:

www.tugg.com/events/playing-with-fire-iwzv

Your money will be refunded if the screening is not filled with enough people... currently, this event will only happen if 54 more tickets are reserved, so I figured I'd spread the word!

(Edit: now only 27 more tickets needed as of June 15th!)
dergon

Post by dergon »

Hi there Cleveland Bogleheads!

Dergon here.

I'm a doctor down at University Hospitals and have been asked by the residents to put together a powerpoint on the basics of personal finance.

If I was going to cobble it together myself it would just mostly be a re-hash of the basic tenets with a few pie charts thrown in there.

But I wanted to see if there was anyone in the group or anyone that the group is aware of who might be a good candidate for an invited lecture.

These are young doctors in training many of whom have little financial literacy at all. In the past, there has been an occasional "educational" event .... but these have really been thinly veiled pitches by financial advisory firms.

I'd like to start something to give them the confidence/ skills to do it smartly themselves.

thanks!

pete/dergon
LukeHeinz57

Post by LukeHeinz57 »

Pete, I have nothing to offer other than encouragement, that you are doing a great service trying to set them on the right path. Dr.'s seem to be targeted by "financial advisors" and they would do very well indeed to steer clear of being sold products and instead walk the Boglehead path....
"Contentment", the only thing you ever truly need more of!
CyberBob

Post by CyberBob »

Pete,

Are you familiar with The White Coat Investor?
He’s a fellow Boglehead physician. Lots of good stuff on his website and in his book.
dergon

Post by dergon »

CyberBob wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:45 am Pete,

Are you familiar with The White Coat Investor?
He’s a fellow Boglehead physician. Lots of good stuff on his website and in his book.
I know it well! A great resource :)
dergon

Post by dergon »

LukeHeinz57 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:13 am Pete, I have nothing to offer other than encouragement, that you are doing a great service trying to set them on the right path. Dr.'s seem to be targeted by "financial advisors" and they would do very well indeed to steer clear of being sold products and instead walk the Boglehead path....
Yeah... that's the goal. I see a lot of the financial services outreach that comes to young docs. They go to a fancy steakhouse for a filet and a couple glasses of wine. Next thing you know they're giving someone 2% to manage their money and getting set up with annuities and whole life policies.
onmyway33

Post by onmyway33 »

I would like to remind the group that our next meeting is planned for tomorrow, Saturday July 13th from 10am until noon at the North Royalton Public Library (5071 Wallings Road • North Royalton, OH 44133) in meeting room 124.

If anyone has any topics that they would like to discuss, please PM (personal message) me.

I also encourage any chapter members who wish to present any subjects to do so. You need not be a financial professional or expert in the respective topic or prepare a formal presentation, but just need to help lead the group discussion.

Thank you,
bobinberea

Post by bobinberea »

With luck, I should be there tomorrow.

Bob Fowler/BobinBerea
tzydzy

Post by tzydzy »

I just saw your message as I'm not a daily visitor. In any event, I have talk for beginning investors that I have presented to the Westlake Porter Public Library, other area libraries and to other professional organizations in the past. The program was last presented in conjunction with another non-profit educational organization who also likes to help investors resist the veiled selling process that goes on in the dinners. The presentation takes about 2 hours and covers the basics of what a stock, bond, and cash is, Asset Allocation, compounding, mutual funds, why one needs to save for retirement even though it may be 40 years away, etc. It not designed to insult anyone - but It is really basic - for people who don't know a mutual fund from a Certificate of Deposit or that the latter is Cash. I'm giving a specialized version to Teachers and School Support Personnel later this year to help them understand what happens when the checks stop at retirement and that the Board of Education no longer will be there with benefits.

The link is to the presentation (with the number of slides reduced for convenience of web viewing), but feel free to use the ideas for your presentation if this reaches you in a timely manner:

http://www.condohome.net/aaii2/ www.condohome.net/aaii2/aaii2.pdf
dergon wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:36 am
I'm a doctor down at University Hospitals and have been asked by the residents to put together a powerpoint on the basics of personal finance.

If I was going to cobble it together myself it would just mostly be a re-hash of the basic tenets with a few pie charts thrown in there.

But I wanted to see if there was anyone in the group or anyone that the group is aware of who might be a good candidate for an invited lecture.

These are young doctors in training many of whom have little financial literacy at all. In the past, there has been an occasional "educational" event .... but these have really been thinly veiled pitches by financial advisory firms.

I'd like to start something to give them the confidence/ skills to do it smartly themselves.

pd
onmyway33

Post by onmyway33 »

I would like to remind the group that our next meeting is planned for Saturday September 14th from 10am until noon at the North Royalton Public Library (5071 Wallings Road • North Royalton, OH 44133) in meeting room 124.

To spur our discussion, I will be presenting a short primer on asset allocation (AA), including factors to consider when establishing your AA and strategies to manually and automatically maintain your desired AA throughout different market conditions.

If anyone has any topics that they wish to discuss, please PM (personal message) me or just bring them to meeting.

Thank you,
bobinberea

Post by bobinberea »

Fingers crossed, I hope to be there.

BobinBerea/Bob Fowler
Designairohio

Post by Designairohio »

Do I need to do anything special to join the chapter? or can I attend this meeting?

Ken Caldwell
bobinberea

Post by bobinberea »

Ken,
Our meetings are open to everyone. Just show up!
BobinBerea/Bob Fowler
bobinberea

Post by bobinberea »

Whoops. I need to be home tomorrow morning for a service call, and I will not be able to attend this month's meeting! Sorry about that!

BobinBerea/Bob Fowler
onmyway33

Post by onmyway33 »

Due to scheduling conflicts, our next regular bi-monthly meeting that was scheduled for Saturday November 9th has been cancelled.

Our next scheduled meeting will then be tentatively planned for Saturday January 11th 2020 from 10am until noon at the North Royalton Public Library (5071 Wallings Road • North Royalton, OH 44133), weather permitting. A meeting confirmation and additional details will be posted here and emailed to the group in advance of the meeting.

Are any group members interested in presenting a topic to the group? You need not be a financial professional or expert in the respective topic or prepare a formal presentation, but just need to help lead the group discussion.

If anyone has any topics that they wish to discuss, please PM (personal message) me your ideas.

Thank you,
bobinberea

Post by bobinberea »

Nov 9 has been canceled--got it. And the Jan 11 meeting is on my calendar. Fingers crossed, I'll hope to be there.

Bob Fowler/BobinBerea
onmyway33

Post by onmyway33 »

I would like to remind our group that our next meeting is scheduled for Saturday January 11th 2020 from 10am until noon in Room 124 of the North Royalton Public Library (5071 Wallings Road • North Royalton, OH 44133), weather permitting.

One of our group members will be presenting on FIRE (financial independence retire early), including the key elements of lifestyle and expenses, tools for success such as budgeting and financial analysis, and calculators for planning. FIRE is typically aimed at those still working and in the wealth accumulation phase of life, but the fundamentals of FIRE are beneficial to those of any age.

Are any group members interested in presenting a topic to the group at a future meeting? You need not be a financial professional or expert in the respective topic or prepare a formal presentation, but just need to help lead the group discussion.

If anyone has any topics that they wish to discuss, please PM (personal message) me your ideas.

Thank you and be well.
bobinberea

Post by bobinberea »

On my calendar. Thanks. Holiday cheers to all!

Bob Fowler/BobinBerea
GlennK

Post by GlennK »

After a year of threatening to attend a meeting, I am finally in town with no tennis conflicts. Barring a drastic weather change, I'll be there and looking forward to meeting some members in person.
bobinberea

Post by bobinberea »

Fingers crossed, I hope to be there on the 11th.

Bob Fowler/BobinBerea
slyfox

Post by slyfox »

It was great to be able to finally attend my 1st meeting! Thanks for an informative discussion and I look forward to the next meeting :happy
bobinberea

Post by bobinberea »

Great turnout for today's meeting. Lots of faces that I haven't seen before. But I missed several meetings in 2019, so that may have something to do with that. Al's presentation was rich and provocative. Thanks! I can already foresee that I'll probably miss the March meeting, due to a trip to Missouri and Kansas to visit family.

All the best in 2020,
Bob Fowler/BobinBerea
onmyway33

Post by onmyway33 »

For those of you interested in an emailed copy of Al's insightful presentation on FIRE given on Saturday Jan 11, please PM me your email address.

Our next meeting is scheduled for Saturday March 14th 2020 from 10am until noon in Room 124 of the North Royalton Public Library (5071 Wallings Road • North Royalton, OH 44133), weather permitting.

Are any group members interested in presenting a topic to the group at a future meeting? You need not be a financial professional or expert in the respective topic or prepare a formal presentation, but just need to help lead the group discussion. If anyone has any topics that they wish to discuss, please PM (personal message) me your ideas.

Thank you and be well.
onmyway33

Post by onmyway33 »

I would like to remind the group that our next meeting is scheduled for Saturday March 14th 2020 from 10am until noon in Room 124 of the North Royalton Public Library (5071 Wallings Road • North Royalton, OH 44133), weather permitting.

I would like to begin the meeting by discussing market volatility (past and present) and ideas on things to consider when you establish your level of risk. Also, being that tax season is upon us, let's talk about tax filing strategies, and any tax planning that you may do. After that, the meeting will be an open format, so I ask that you bring topics that you would like to discuss.

I encourage you all to "stay the course" and to be well.