St Louis Bogleheads

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
dwickenh

Re: St Louis Bogleheads

Post by dwickenh »

Hello St Louis under snow!!!!

Just a reminder of a January meeting on the 19th at the Trainwreck Saloon in Westport.

https://www.trainwrecksaloon.com/

The meeting is casual with like minded people sharing successes and failures.

I have not reserved any specific space, but per epicahab, it is a laid back place and 1:00 p.m.

should work as long as Football doesn't interfere with the timing. I can try to reserve some space

with a headcount.

Let me know here if you plan to attend.

Best to all,

Dan
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett
epicahab

Post by epicahab »

Thanks, Dan.

We are good on football with no playoff games until Sunday. We might have to keep an eye on the weather.
dwickenh

Post by dwickenh »

bump it
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

epicahab wrote: We had an active email thread going for a while but it fizzled out. A Facebook group might be good but I don't know if it would do the same.
Here is what the South Bay/San Jose, Calif chapter does to keep in touch & sign up -
www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php? ... 0#p4298056

And here is what the Tampa Bay, Fla chapter does -
www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php? ... 0#p4250814
rick2427

Post by rick2427 »

Dan:

Due to the wintry weather forecast for saturday, we are unable to attend the meeting.

Sorry,
Rick
https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1139732#p1139732
Chindsey

Post by Chindsey »

Hi, Dan.

I plan on attending. Thanks again for arranging.

- Chindsey
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

Miriam2 wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:41 pm
epicahab wrote: We had an active email thread going for a while but it fizzled out. A Facebook group might be good but I don't know if it would do the same.
Here is what the South Bay/San Jose, Calif chapter does to keep in touch & sign up -

FYI, our Tampa Bay chapter is using Groups.io (more features than Yahoo or Google email groups) as a communication tool to plan meetings. The basic FREE version is more than adequate for our needs, and you can use the POLL feature to track meeting RSVP's. We set ours up as a PRIVATE group. They also have a paid version ($110/yr) with many more features, including RSVP's, but that's overkill. New (and existing) local chapters might want to check out Groups.io. They even offer a tool to "migrate" members and content from from preexisting Yahoo or Google Groups.
Retired 2018 | currently ~64/33/3 (partially sliced and diced, with a slowly rising equity glide path)
dwickenh

Post by dwickenh »

Thanks Miriam!!

Best to you,

Dan
dwickenh

Post by dwickenh »

sleepysurf wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:41 am

FYI, our Tampa Bay chapter is using Groups.io (more features than Yahoo or Google email groups) as a communication tool to plan meetings. The basic FREE version is more than adequate for our needs, and you can use the POLL feature to track meeting RSVP's. We set ours up as a PRIVATE group. They also have a paid version ($110/yr) with many more features, including RSVP's, but that's overkill. New (and existing) local chapters might want to check out Groups.io. They even offer a tool to "migrate" members and content from from preexisting Yahoo or Google Groups.
Thanks for the tip, I will see if there is enough interest to start our own Groups.io.

Dan
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

Planning to come next Saturday, unless bad weather interferes.
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

Kristen Cornett on Ch 4 said to "keep checking because the forecast WILL change".
MandyT

Post by MandyT »

Something else came up for 1/19, but I hope to attend a future get-together.
Lfran

Post by Lfran »

Hi, Dan.

I plan to attend the January 19 meeting.

Larry
dwickenh

Post by dwickenh »

They are still calling for snow on Saturday in St Louis. The forecast may change several time before then. but we have decided to
cancel this Saturday's meeting Jan. 19th. We will try to find a date in February that might work at the same location. PM me with
any ideas you have for dates or locations. I am looking forward to meeting the other local Bogleheads and sharing stories.

Dan
epicahab

Post by epicahab »

Thanks, Dan. Probably a good idea if they are calling for 3-5 inches.
jt55

Post by jt55 »

Hi,
I'd like to attend the next meeting as well.

Thanks,
JT
akron1977

Post by akron1977 »

I was interested in meeting, but never heard about it until now----and months ago mentioned I would like to attend a future get-together. Noticed the button to get a notification when a reply is posted, so hope to get info on rescheduled meeting when posted.
doss

Post by doss »

I am new to the area. Would be interested in attending. Thanks!
“ The long-term 9%-10% nominal return of the stock market INCLUDES the crashes.” — calvin+hobbs
EvelynTroy

Post by EvelynTroy »

Hi - Posting this note with a "notify when a reply is posted" would be interested in attending any sort of StL Boglehead get-together in the future.
Thanks in advance -
Evelyn
dwickenh

Post by dwickenh »

This post was copied from another post concerning an upcoming discussion on Larry Swedroe's new book. I have read the book and found it
very helpful from a retiree's perspective. It also has great information for those prior to retirement.

For anyone interested in the St. Louis, Mo. area - Larry will be speaking about the new retirement book at the St. Charles County Library - Spencer Road Branch @ 7:00 p.m. on Thursday, April 11, 2019.

Address: 427 Spencer Road - St. Peters, MO. 63376-2420
Phone: (636) 441-0794

The announcement is kind of buried in the library's calendar - blurb: Achieving the retirement life of your dreams requires planning. To support the steps you’re taking, Buckingham’s Larry Swedroe and Kevin Grogan have co-authored “Your Complete Guide to a Successful & Secure Retirement,” which they will discuss. As an added bonus, one of the book’s contributors, Katie Keary, will address retirement concerns that are specific to women. Bring your questions and be part of this lively discussion.

I happened to be at an author talk their on Tues. and they announced upcoming author-talks.

Evelyn
denstl

Post by denstl »

Thanks for sharing! I plan on attending...
Topic Author
larryswedroe

For St Louis area diehards

Post by larryswedroe »

Just reminder that I'll be speaking, along with Kevin Grogan tonight 630-8 at the county library in Frontenac and Thursday 7-830 at the St. Charles county library 7-830. Talking about the new retirement book. Come up and say hello
Best wishes
Larry
Lucere

Post by Lucere »

Hi everyone, I'm brand new to the board, and would be interested in any future talks or meet ups.
KidneyMD

Post by KidneyMD »

Hi folks,

Just moved here from Boston this past fall, had gone to a couple of the Bogleheads Boston chapter events. Would love to be included on any Bogleheads meetups or seminars from the STL chapter in the near future. Is there an e-mail listserv to join?

Brian
epicahab

Post by epicahab »

No e-mail listserv that I'm aware of. If you want to try something like that I'd participate.

We all met up at a pizza place a few years ago. Our last meetup got snowed out. @dwickenh I'd be willing to try it again.
EvelynTroy

Post by EvelynTroy »

epicahab wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:47 pm No e-mail listserv that I'm aware of. If you want to try something like that I'd participate.

We all met up at a pizza place a few years ago. Our last meetup got snowed out. @dwickenh I'd be willing to try it again.
I'd be interested in meeting and seeing how things go. I live in St. Charles. Not that it matters. If no one steps forward in a couple days I'll then suggest a day, time and place. Some place casual where sitting and talking would work, i.e. not a real busy place where folks are waiting for a table.
Alternatively some of you may have good place in mind, that will be fine.
Ev
drg02b

Post by drg02b »

Also, there's a local group through Choose FI St. Louis (find on Facebook) that meets for beers in the city on the last Tuesday of the month. Similar group of financially savvy individuals.
epicahab

Post by epicahab »

I'm attending this summit in May. Some of you might be interested... https://financialfreedomevents.com/
akron1977

Post by akron1977 »

Also have my tickets--should be interesting
bkweathe

Post by bkweathe »

No thanks on the "Summit".

Interesting that "Investing" is not among the topics.

Brad
gailcox

Post by gailcox »

Is the St. Louis chapter active?

Thanks!

Gail Cox
Theratking

Post by Theratking »

If this group is still active, I would love to attend an in person meeting after COVID has calmed down.
epicahab

Post by epicahab »

Same here. We almost had another one in early 2019...wish we had.
KidneyMD

Post by KidneyMD »

I moved from Boston to St. Louis a little over a year ago and would love to join the local Bogleheads group as well.

On a side note, anyone have a tax accountant they recommend in the area? I've been doing our taxes with H&R Block software for several years, but in a couple years I anticipate our tax situation will get a little more complicated.
Doc

Post by Doc »

epicahab wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:47 pm Same here. We almost had another one in early 2019...wish we had.
I was at the very first StL Bogleheads meeting. The guy that gave the presentation even bought all of us a catered lunch delivered to the meeting room at his firm which we were also privileged to tour. The bond trading desks was impressive.

Unfortunately several years later some Boglehead insulted Larry so much that he stopped posting here. :(
A scientist looks for THE answer to a problem, an engineer looks for AN answer and lawyers ONLY have opinions. Investing is not a science.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

Doc wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:08 pm I was at the very first StL Bogleheads meeting. The guy that gave the presentation even bought all of us a catered lunch delivered to the meeting room at his firm which we were also privileged to tour. The bond trading desks was impressive.

Unfortunately several years later some Boglehead insulted Larry so much that he stopped posting here. :(
That's surprising to hear. Our admins didn't step in?
I visited St. Louis almost a year ago, right before covid-19 started spreading. Loved the city.
helpanon

Post by helpanon »

Hello StL Bogleheads,
We're approaching retirement, kids are now adults, so we need to set up a living trust and redo our wills. Nothing complicated. Looking for an estate attorney that is well-versed but affordable. If you have the name of someone you trust, please let me know. Thanks.

Edit: Called Quinn Estate and Elder Law on Manchester... Attorney is Brian Quinn. https://quinnestatelaw.com/... $2500 for a living trust and will package. Sound about right?
denstl

Post by denstl »

I talked with Scott Garcia at Premier Estate & Income Planning. They have an interesting approach that provides an online portal and for a low annual fee, you can make unlimited changes whenever needed. I like the concept since we just need to update our will, trust, etc but kind of starting over to make the changes. He is on KTRS radio each week and their podcast is on their website so you can hear how this all works. Have not gone in to sit with them. But if you do, please report back.

https://www.premierestateandincomeplanning.com/
RubyTuesday

Post by RubyTuesday »

Blase and Associates was recommended by a friend who is a lawyer and used his firm.

They offer package that may be a little less expensive and Blase seems to publish on estate issues.

Blase and Associates
“Doing nothing is better than being busy doing nothing.” – Lao Tzu
helpanon

Post by helpanon »

Thank you for taking the time to leave recommendations. I'll look into Blase and Associates, and Premier Estate and Income Planning, this week.
denstl

Post by denstl »

Please report back what you learn and who you go with. We need to follow suit. Always easy to just keep putting off...
epicahab

Post by epicahab »

Anyone considering the Conference in October up near Chicago? I'm on the fence, guess I should decide soon.

viewtopic.php?t=375705