St Louis Bogleheads

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
larryswedroe

St Louis Bogleheads

Post by larryswedroe »

[Thread updated, see below --admin LadyGeek]

I will be giving a talk on Think, Act and Invest Like Warren Buffett at the main library Monday the 10th at 630-8 1301 Olive in the old post office.
Hope to see you there
Larry
Angst

Re: St Louis Bogleheads

Post by Angst »

Thanks for letting us know! Unfortunately for me, I'll be working then, but please continue to alert us in the future. I would love to catch one of your presentations and have a chance to say hello and maybe even ask a question or two.
- Angie
Topic Author
larryswedroe

Post by larryswedroe »

I'll be doing a similar event at the St Charles main library with Charlie Brennan on April 8th, Spencer Road Branch
Larry
AndrewXnn

Post by AndrewXnn »

FWIW; Warren is probably thinking something along these lines:

TTM Book Value is currently $127,368.

1.2*$127,368 = $152842

:happy
Qualified Nuclear Engineer & NYS Licensed Professional Engineer
sambb

Post by sambb »

give us a reminder in the future about future events, too short notice for this one for me
Angst

Post by Angst »

larryswedroe wrote:I'll be doing a similar event at the St Charles main library with Charlie Brennan on April 8th, Spencer Road Branch
Larry
This is good to know. It's not quite in my neck of the woods, but I hope to be able to be there. I've marked my calendar. Thank you.
fearless_leader

Post by fearless_leader »

a bit more info please......
is it at the main library or at the post office?
is this a formal lecture, or a question & answer gathering?
how long do you think it will last?

it sounds promising........I'd like to be there
trying to learn investment strategies for retirement
Bustoff

Post by Bustoff »

fearless_leader wrote:a bit more info please......
is it at the main library or at the post office?
is this a formal lecture, or a question & answer gathering?
how long do you think it will last?
When:
Mon, February 10, 6:30pm – 8:00pm
Where:
1301 Olive St., 63103 (map)
Description:
Larry Swedroe discusses and signs Think, Act, and Invest Like Warren Buffett: The Winning Strategy to Help You Achieve Your Financial and Life Goals. The event takes place at the Central Library, 1301 Olive St., on February 10 at 6:30 p.m.
Larry Swedroe is a principal and the director of research for the BAM ALLIANCE, a community of independent wealth management firms located throughout the United States. He has authored or co-authored 12 books, including his most recent, “Think, Act, and Invest Like Warren Buffet.”
The author will be discussing investment strategy and will answer questions and sign copies of his new book.
Third Floor Carnegie Room. Call 539-0327 for more information.
fearless_leader

Post by fearless_leader »

thanks for posting the telephone number.........very helpful
trying to learn investment strategies for retirement
DRILLINDK

Post by DRILLINDK »

Short notice, but I'm going to try and make it. Looking forward to it!
Tigermoose

Post by Tigermoose »

Thanks Larry. Please keep us posted on the time for the St. Charles County Library presentation at Spencer Rd.
Institutions matter
Topic Author
larryswedroe

Post by larryswedroe »

First, usually happy to stay around as long as possible to answer questions
Second, the April 8th event in St. Charles is 7pm
Larry
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Local Chapters and Bogleheads Community forum (Bogleheads).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
arch_lady

Post by arch_lady »

Hello everyone.

I'm new to the Boglehead community and would like to connect with those in St. Louis. Any upcoming meet ups or events? Would love to join!
epicahab

Post by epicahab »

larryswedroe wrote:First, usually happy to stay around as long as possible to answer questions
Second, the April 8th event in St. Charles is 7pm
Larry
Glad I saw this!...I will try to attend as I live out there.
epicahab

Post by epicahab »

EDIT: Saw the date now, sorry about that.

Keep us updated on future talks.
denstl

Post by denstl »

Just curious if the St. Louis chapter has any current activity? Almost ready to cast my current financial adviser aside and travel the Bgglehead route. I'd like to save myself the 1%+ fees but with 1 year to go before retirement, a little local support would make me feel more confident.
bkweathe

Post by bkweathe »

It looks like the St. Louis Bogleheads are inactive. Is that correct? Is anyone interested in changing that? Interested enough to lead the charge?

Brad
Chindsey

Post by Chindsey »

Not sure I have the time right now to lead the charge, but I am very interested in getting together.
epicahab

Post by epicahab »

I'm lurking if there is another event or talk held.
Alkan

Post by Alkan »

I'm also checking this thread periodically. Hopefully Larry will post about another talk in the near future.
Chindsey

Post by Chindsey »

Just checking in. Did anything ever come of the potential St. Louis area meet-up? Was a local chapter established?

Chindsey
Veiled

Post by Veiled »

BUMP. We should all get coffee. PM me or post.
Chindsey wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:12 am Just checking in. Did anything ever come of the potential St. Louis area meet-up? Was a local chapter established?

Chindsey
Alkan wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:06 am I'm also checking this thread periodically. Hopefully Larry will post about another talk in the near future.
epicahab wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:46 am I'm lurking if there is another event or talk held.
bkweathe wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:32 am It looks like the St. Louis Bogleheads are inactive. Is that correct? Is anyone interested in changing that? Interested enough to lead the charge?

Brad
denstl wrote: Sun May 31, 2015 10:57 am Just curious if the St. Louis chapter has any current activity? Almost ready to cast my current financial adviser aside and travel the Bgglehead route. I'd like to save myself the 1%+ fees but with 1 year to go before retirement, a little local support would make me feel more confident.
TPS_Reports77

Post by TPS_Reports77 »

I'd be interested.
epicahab

Post by epicahab »

I still follow this thread. Hope everyone's doing well.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Yes, the St Louis Local Chapter was formed. Sounds like we may need a new Local Chapter Coordinator. If someone's interested, PM me and we'll get you going again.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
Veiled

Post by Veiled »

epicahab wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:17 amI still follow this thread. Hope everyone's doing well.
TPS_Reports77 wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:16 amI'd be interested.
Chindsey wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:12 amJust checking in. Did anything ever come of the potential St. Louis area meet-up? Was a local chapter established?
I wanted to arrange a meet-up but then work swallowed the past two months.

I tried to PM multiple people and it looks like the board can't accommodate that. I'll PM everyone separately but I think it will quickly become chaotic if we don't proceed to email thereafter.
bkweathe

Post by bkweathe »

I would like to attend a meeting on a weekend in May, as proposed by Veiled.

Brad
Veiled

Post by Veiled »

I've sent a lot of PMs but just in case people are also watching the thread:

We're currently looking at May 5 or May 6, and we haven't nailed down a time yet. If either of those days is better/worse/doesn't work/does work, please PM or post. I'm excited!
epicahab

Post by epicahab »

I think either of those will work, no kids soccer games on either...yet!

-Ryan
Last edited by epicahab on Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
denstl

Post by denstl »

After 11:00 on the 5th or any time on the 6th would work for me.

Dennis
bkweathe

Post by bkweathe »

I could probably come any time 5/5 or after 1 pm 5/6.

Brad
drg02b

Post by drg02b »

Not to co-opt any efforts here (PM me if something get's organized and I'll try to come), but there's a ChooseFI St. Louis Facebook group and we've had a couple of meetups in the last few months.
Veiled

Post by Veiled »

drg02b wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:29 pm Not to co-opt any efforts here (PM me if something get's organized and I'll try to come), but there's a ChooseFI St. Louis Facebook group and we've had a couple of meetups in the last few months.
That’s great, drg02b! I do have a Facebook and listen to ChooseFI, but not everyone might. Still, the spirited nature of ChooseFIers might help a Bogleheads group become or stay viable. If you want to join us in May, we could talk about interests/differences/etc and see if St. Louis BHs could piggyback on ChooseFI. I can see myself in both communities, but I’d want to hear from others.
denstl

Post by denstl »

Veiled wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:01 am
drg02b wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:29 pm Not to co-opt any efforts here (PM me if something get's organized and I'll try to come), but there's a ChooseFI St. Louis Facebook group and we've had a couple of meetups in the last few months.
That’s great, drg02b! I do have a Facebook and listen to ChooseFI, but not everyone might. Still, the spirited nature of ChooseFIers might help a Bogleheads group become or stay viable. If you want to join us in May, we could talk about interests/differences/etc and see if St. Louis BHs could piggyback on ChooseFI. I can see myself in both communities, but I’d want to hear from others.
Just sent my invite to join that group :)
epicahab

Post by epicahab »

denstl wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:14 am
Same here...really appreciate you sharing that drg02b!
Topic Author
larryswedroe

Saint Louis Area diehards

Post by larryswedroe »

[Post merged into here, see below. --admin LadyGeek]

fyi, I will be doing a talk at the STL Main Library downtown on 4/26 at 6
See you there
Larry
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ I merged Larry Swedroe's post into here.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
drg02b

Re: Saint Louis Area diehards

Post by drg02b »

larryswedroe wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:03 pm [Post merged into here, see below. --admin LadyGeek]

See you there
Larry
Awesome, Larry...is there a flier/website or other info for the talk? I'd like to try to come.
drg02b

Post by drg02b »

epicahab wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:43 am
denstl wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:14 am
Same here...really appreciate you sharing that drg02b!
I see some overlap between Bogleheads, Mr. Money Mustache, and ChooseFI. Though the purposes are a little different, there's enough in common interest (judicious approaches to money, with varying approaches/purpose). I noticed people on the MMM forum unsuccessfully trying to organize a meet and great in the St. Louis thread, so have been cross-posting to at least try to get people in the same place at the same time. (I personally have never listened to a ChooseFI podcast, but noticed a lot of activity building in the fall, so it made sense as a place to finally get something going. One of the guys attending is also part of a FinCon group, and several of that group have come to recent meetups, where we've had 10-20 people.
epicahab

Post by epicahab »

drg02b wrote: I see some overlap between Bogleheads, Mr. Money Mustache, and ChooseFI. Though the purposes are a little different, there's enough in common interest (judicious approaches to money, with varying approaches/purpose). I noticed people on the MMM forum unsuccessfully trying to organize a meet and great in the St. Louis thread, so have been cross-posting to at least try to get people in the same place at the same time. (I personally have never listened to a ChooseFI podcast, but noticed a lot of activity building in the fall, so it made sense as a place to finally get something going. One of the guys attending is also part of a FinCon group, and several of that group have come to recent meetups, where we've had 10-20 people.
I agree...reducing fees, maximizing tax losses, and spending judiciously are things that those groups all have in common.
Angst

Re: Saint Louis Area diehards

Post by Angst »

drg02b wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:54 pm
larryswedroe wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:03 pm [Post merged into here, see below. --admin LadyGeek]

See you there
Larry
Awesome, Larry...is there a flier/website or other info for the talk? I'd like to try to come.
The St. Louis City library has a fairly robust web presence, even an events calendar! Here's a link:
https://slpl.bibliocommons.com/events/search/q=swedroe

For cityphobic west county residents, there's typically ample street parking in front of the south entrance to the library after 6pm, and easy escape access to I-64 west via 14th street south, should that be a prerequisite.
https://www.slpl.org/locations/CENTRAL/
Veiled

Post by Veiled »

Hello again all STL bogleheads! I've sent another flurry of PMs, but for those who are just joining us, we're trying to arrange a meet-up in May.

Looks like the best date/time will be Sunday 5/6 in the early afternoon. I'm trying to aim broadly central (i.e. vaguely at I-64 (40) and I-170). Post or PM with any strong opinions, otherwise I'll nail down a time and place in the next flurry.

I also hope to see some people 4/26!
Veiled

Post by Veiled »

drg02b wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:56 pmI see some overlap between Bogleheads, Mr. Money Mustache, and ChooseFI. Though the purposes are a little different, there's enough in common interest (judicious approaches to money, with varying approaches/purpose). I noticed people on the MMM forum unsuccessfully trying to organize a meet and great in the St. Louis thread, so have been cross-posting to at least try to get people in the same place at the same time. (I personally have never listened to a ChooseFI podcast, but noticed a lot of activity building in the fall, so it made sense as a place to finally get something going. One of the guys attending is also part of a FinCon group, and several of that group have come to recent meetups, where we've had 10-20 people.
I was bingeing ChooseFI in September, which I felt was during its biggest acceleration in popularity. Any update on the crossposts? I apologize that I'm not very present on Facebook, I mainly use its messenger feature on my phone.
epicahab

Post by epicahab »

Veiled wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:14 pm
drg02b wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:56 pmI see some overlap between Bogleheads, Mr. Money Mustache, and ChooseFI. Though the purposes are a little different, there's enough in common interest (judicious approaches to money, with varying approaches/purpose). I noticed people on the MMM forum unsuccessfully trying to organize a meet and great in the St. Louis thread, so have been cross-posting to at least try to get people in the same place at the same time. (I personally have never listened to a ChooseFI podcast, but noticed a lot of activity building in the fall, so it made sense as a place to finally get something going. One of the guys attending is also part of a FinCon group, and several of that group have come to recent meetups, where we've had 10-20 people.
I was bingeing ChooseFI in September, which I felt was during its biggest acceleration in popularity. Any update on the crossposts? I apologize that I'm not very present on Facebook, I mainly use its messenger feature on my phone.
It's pretty quiet over there, they have had some meetups it looks like over the past few months.
dwickenh

Post by dwickenh »

Veiled wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:09 pm Hello again all STL bogleheads! I've sent another flurry of PMs, but for those who are just joining us, we're trying to arrange a meet-up in May.

Looks like the best date/time will be Sunday 5/6 in the early afternoon. I'm trying to aim broadly central (i.e. vaguely at I-64 (40) and I-170). Post or PM with any strong opinions, otherwise I'll nail down a time and place in the next flurry.

I also hope to see some people 4/26!
I would be interested in the May meet-up and the area proposed would work for me.

Dan
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett
drg02b

Post by drg02b »

Veiled wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:14 pm
Yeah, I posted here right after our last event, so it may be a few weeks before something gets planned again. I imagine something will get proposed for late April or May -- while it's usually been proposed by 1-2 people, it's been pretty democratic -- I think anyone who wants to throw a date out/create an event will likely have several people minimum show up. So far, we've met at UCBC, mostly since there's a big space and not a lot of obligation on people to buy a lot. We talked about maybe doing something outside (whenever this snow/cold goes away).

You might be able to set a Facebook e-mail notification just for this group, if you're concerned about missing the announcement.
Veiled

Post by Veiled »

Thank you to all the bogleheads who replied and provided availability! Based on everyone's responses, I made a reservation for ten (!) at twinOak, a pizza/BBQ/sandwich/salad place in Brentwood that I hope will appeal to a broad range of palates, the people trying to LBYM, and a wide array of people's locations across the greater STL area.

Details:
Sunday, May 6, 2018
3:00 PM CST
twinOak Wood-fired Pizza and BBQ
1201 Strassner Dr
Brentwood, MO 63144

I will send out more PMs to remind anyone who hasn't followed the thread, just to make sure no one slips through the cracks. I'm looking forward to meeting everyone! :sharebeer
Last edited by Veiled on Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
denstl

Post by denstl »

Thank you for your perseverance setting this up! Look forward to meeting everyone.

Dennis
epicahab

Post by epicahab »

Good deal, I plan to be there. Coming from Saint Peters.

-Ryan