[Virtual online chapter - Master thread]

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: [Virtual online chapter - Master thread]

Post by LadyGeek »

lazylarry wrote:Just wanted to let anyone interested in attending virtual bogleheads group (more info in the local groups section on this forum), that our next meeting will be about Tilting and will be on 8/23 at 8pm EST. We will have a quick 10-25 min presentation and then open questions afterwards. If you are interested, please email me at virtualbogleheads@gmail.com
I moved your post into here.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

Was fun attending my first virtual meeting, looking forward to more! Thanks for starting and hosting lazylarry!
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
Lieutenant.Columbo

Post by Lieutenant.Columbo »

are the sessions being archived so that we could play them after the fact?
Lt. Columbo: Well, what do you know. Here I am talking with some of the smartest people in the world, and I didn't even notice!
lazylarry

Post by lazylarry »

Hi All,

It's that time of year again for our Fourth Virtual Bogleheads Meeting. It will be September 20, 2017 @ 8pm EST.
Topic to be decided and the links will be provided via Zoom in my next email in about a week.

Email virtualbogleheads@gmail.com if you are interested in joining and are not on the listserve already (or didn't get my email that I sent out about five minutes ago).

Lieutenant.Columbo wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:27 pm are the sessions being archived so that we could play them after the fact?
Not really - I have the powerpoints if you wanted to review them - email me. I think archiving the videos would be harder because I wouldn't want people to have their statements uploaded without their permission or have that be a potential barrier to participation. Also I don't know if it is technologically feasible.
My profile: https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=86026 | Virtua lBogleheads® Blog: https://virtualbogleheads.wordpress.com/
djmbob

Post by djmbob »

To record a zoom session, the host clicks on the Record button at the bottom toolbar. All participants can see in the top left of their screen that the session is being recorded.

Some participants can also call into the session, their face does not appear on the screen, only their number, but others can hear their voice.

The recorded file could be downloaded to the hosts pc (or cloud), then uploaded to a dropbox account which can be restricted just to the members of the Virtual Chapter.

Cheers,
Ray
Retired Military in Tulsa, 100% VA, MFJ, Age 66, Spouse 61, 2023 Effective Fed Tax Rate 12.17%, OK State 0%
digarei

Post by digarei »

lazylarry wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:21 pm
It's that time of year again for our Fourth Virtual Bogleheads Meeting. It will be September 20, 2017 @ 8pm EST.
Topic to be decided and the links will be provided via Zoom in my next email in about a week.

Email virtualbogleheads@gmail.com if you are interested in joining and are not on the listserve already (or didn't get my email that I sent out about five minutes ago).

I'm uncertain about the time specified for the upcoming virtual meeting — "8pm EST" (Eastern Standard Time). I believe that most states and US possessions employ Daylight Savings Time until November 5. Did you mean to write "EDT (Eastern Daylight Time)" ? My other thought is that you're located in Hawaii or Arizona and quite accustomed to scheduling meetings using Standard Time.

As a west coast resident, I would expect to subtract 3 hours from Eastern Daylight Time (UTC-4) to convert to Pacific Daylight Time (UTC-7) for a start time of 5:00pm PDT. A meeting start time of 8pm EST translates to UTC-5, a difference of two hours.... or am I just confused?

Thanks for clearing this up!

:happy
Connect with Bogleheads in Northern California! Click the link under my user info/avatar.
lazylarry

Post by lazylarry »

digarei wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:10 am
lazylarry wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:21 pm

I'm uncertain about the time specified for the upcoming virtual meeting — "8pm EST" (Eastern Standard Time). I believe that most states and US possessions employ Daylight Savings Time until November 5. Did you mean to write "EDT (Eastern Daylight Time)" ? My other thought is that you're located in Hawaii or Arizona and quite accustomed to scheduling meetings using Standard Time.

As a west coast resident, I would expect to subtract 3 hours from Eastern Daylight Time (UTC-4) to convert to Pacific Daylight Time (UTC-7) for a start time of 5:00pm PDT. A meeting start time of 8pm EST translates to UTC-5, a difference of two hours.... or am I just confused?

Thanks for clearing this up!

:happy
Fascinating, I totally did not realize this existed - I just used to call every time zone "standard" because that's what I thought ESPN used. But the corrected time would be 8pm Eastern Time Zone if that makes sense, so it would be 8pm EDT actually.
My profile: https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=86026 | Virtua lBogleheads® Blog: https://virtualbogleheads.wordpress.com/
digarei

Post by digarei »

1c
My thanks to lazylarry for hosting yesterday's meeting of the Virtual Online Bogleheads Chapter. For now, this may be the only venue where one can meet Bogleheads from other cities and towns face to face without incurring the cost of an airline ticket and hotel room.

Not having experienced video conferencing before while working for an employer at home, I found the experience nearly as intimate as meeting in person and in some ways, more so. Though the conference software allows participants to call in without appearing on camera, I believe most connected as I did, through a computer or laptop w/camera—I used an iPad with the device's front-facing camera capturing my face and some of my home office surroundings.

Boston chapter coordinator siamond gave an informal presentation on the subject of Roth conversions and taxes.

He demonstrated that a couple now in their 50s with good earnings, a substantial amount saved into both tax deferred (e.g. 401(k)) and taxable accounts, who planned to retire at age 60 and delay SS by funding their interim expenses from taxable could expect large fluctuations in the amount of federal taxes they owed--ranging from a negligible sum in each of the first 10 years in retirement to substantial amounts in their 70s, when additional liability would be created by the increased regular income (SS/RMDs). This could mean a substantial drop in their net income at a time when it may be most needed.

If the couple were to have performed Roth conversions in their first years of retirement they could have reduced the aggregate amount of federal taxes paid while smoothing their net income.

But every situation is different and, as was pointed out by several other attendees and acknowledged by siamond, extrapolating a rule of thumb or specific guidance from the outcome of one scenario is problematic. Income sources (and therefore tax liability) vary, moving to a different state or country in retirement could affect tax liability and income. Important questions arise in respect to any financial plan that hasn't accounted for changes in circumstance, such as one or both partners dying before the benefits of the plan are realized. I-ORP was highlighted as a useful tool in negotiating these issues.

Thanks for an enjoyable discussion. Looking forward to the next meeting.
Connect with Bogleheads in Northern California! Click the link under my user info/avatar.
lazylarry

Post by lazylarry »

Heads up that the next virtual meeting will be November 1st at 8pm EDT. If you are interested and not on the email listserve, email me at virtualbogleheads@gmail.com and I'll get you added and send the email with information!!
FiveK

Post by FiveK »

The next meeting will be on Thursday December 7th @ 8pm Eastern Time Zone.

If you are interested and have not received the email with connection details, email lazylarry at virtualbogleheads@gmail.com so he can add you to the listserve and send the email with conferencing information.

Topics
a) Traditional vs. Roth: both the quantitative math and some qualitative considerations.
b) Some how-to for the calculation tool referenced at www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Tools_and_calcu ... ce_toolbox.
E.g., quick
- tax calculations
- marginal rate charts.
Also,
- Social Security benefit estimation
- HDHP vs. non-HDHP insurance
- whether or not to use a high fee 401k
- maybe others.
lazylarry

Post by lazylarry »

Been a while since our last meeting , but first meeting of the year on:
January 24th @ 8pm

FiveK is presenting on prioritizing investments.
Shoot me an email if you are interested and not on the listserv: virtualbogleheads@gmail.com

It's going to be good, so hope to see all there!

A little preview:
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/inves ... msg1333153
https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Priorit ... nvestments.
peterwantstosave

Post by peterwantstosave »

Sent you an email

Looking forward, P
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

lazylarry wrote: Been a while since our last meeting , but first meeting of the year on:
January 24th @ 8pm
FiveK is presenting on prioritizing investments.
Shoot me an email if you are interested and not on the listserv: virtualbogleheads@gmail.com
It's going to be good, so hope to see all there!
Thank you lazylarry and FiveK, very informative. I see a great future for the Virtual On-Line chapter :happy
TheQuietMan

Post by TheQuietMan »

I’m interested in joining the Virtual online chapter. Please forgive my ignorance, but how does this work? Is there a specific site to meet at, or do I need to download software? I saw several different methods mentioned earlier in the thread, but I’m not sure what was decided upon. Thank you for any information. How many members attended the last meeting?

Andy
pondering

Post by pondering »

I don't know how I didn't find this item earlier.

This is an awesome idea.

I'm happy to help any way I can!
--Robert Sterbal | robert@sterbal.com | 412-977-3526
FiveK

Post by FiveK »

For those not already on the mailing list, a note sent Feb. 18:
Hope everyone is doing well! Was planning for our next meeting in a few weeks, and wanted to check if anyone was interested in presenting. I think we've had some great presenters over the past few months but I wanted to open it up, in case anyone else would like that opportunity. Always great to hear other perspectives.

Typically presenters have had powerpoint slides (we do have some "pre-made" presentations) and usually last between 20-45 min with room for discussion at the end. Let me know and we can work out scheduling.
If you are interested, please email the chapter organizer at virtualbogleheads@gmail.com
lazylarry

Post by lazylarry »

Sorry just saw this - it's a online conferencing software
https://zoom.us/

And as FiveK said, please email me at virtualbogleheads@gmail.com and I will add you to the emailing list with instructions for the next meeting. We're still deciding a date - dependent on presentor availability!
pondering

Post by pondering »

Do you send out confirmation of subscription?
TheQuietMan

Post by TheQuietMan »

lazylarry wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:40 pm Sorry just saw this - it's a online conferencing software
https://zoom.us/

And as FiveK said, please email me at virtualbogleheads@gmail.com and I will add you to the emailing list with instructions for the next meeting. We're still deciding a date - dependent on presentor availability!
Thank you!

Andy
Copernicus

Post by Copernicus »

I would like to join virtual discussions. I just emailed a request to the email address given. Do I need to do more?
Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

For those of us that live a few time zones away from the U.S will there be a way to replay it?
lazylarry

Post by lazylarry »

Diogenes wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:23 pm For those of us that live a few time zones away from the U.S will there be a way to replay it?
Unfortunately not for next time but that is def something we can consider in the future if presentors/participants are agreeable.
Copernicus wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:13 pm I would like to join virtual discussions. I just emailed a request to the email address given. Do I need to do more?

Yup I'll send you a confirmation email that you're in. Fortunately, our group isn't that exclusive :)
pondering

Post by pondering »

For the upcoming meeting's agenda:

Can we try to tie in a virtual group meeting with a recorded session from the 2018 Boglehead conference?
lazylarry

Post by lazylarry »

pondering wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:51 pm For the upcoming meeting's agenda:

Can we try to tie in a virtual group meeting with a recorded session from the 2018 Boglehead conference?
Sure we can, we can definitely put it up for a vote. Let me know if you'd prefer one in particular. I'm not sure how the video quality would be though, so would have to test it beforehand.
pondering

Post by pondering »

We are meeting right now.

We are going over the Simba spreadsheet:

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Simba%2 ... preadsheet
TheQuietMan

Post by TheQuietMan »

I attended my first virtual meeting last night, and it was great! I’d like to thank Manny, Dan, and Siamond, and of course all of the other attendees. The subject was Simba’s spreadsheet. Very informative, and it made me realize, man am I in deep waters! :shock:
I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Andy
Copernicus

Post by Copernicus »

I attended the virtual meeting, my first one on 3/13, and found it really useful! THANKS to the organizers and presenter!
dc-learning

Post by dc-learning »

Hello,

Am a new member - based in Scotland/UK - and was wondering if these virtual meetings are/or could be recorded ( both screen and voice) and a link later shared that allowed others to view after the event?

Thanks,
Dave
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

dc-learning wrote: Am a new member - based in Scotland/UK - and was wondering if these virtual meetings are/or could be recorded ( both screen and voice) and a link later shared that allowed others to view after the event?
Thanks,
Dave
I don't know about recording the Virtual On-Line meetings, but our forum has many years of videos you can access from our yearly Boglehead Conferences that include talks by John Bogle, Q & A sessions with John Bogle, and Q & A sessions with our Panel of Experts each year.

You can access the videos here on our wiki "Bogleheads Conferences" page - https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Boglehe ... onferences
lazylarry

Post by lazylarry »

Hi folks,

Am very excited to announce that Rick Ferri will be presenting at our next Virtual Bogleheads Meeting (#8)!!
I don't think he needs an introduction on this forum.

In brief, he'll be talking about a few concepts regarding the education of the index investor and the phases investors go through, e.g.

1) Darkness - takes advice from everyone;
2) Enlightenment - realizes a market return is superior to their return;
3) Complexity - overdoing everything to find optimal;
4) Simplicity - invests in a few total market funds

If you'd like to participate in the meeting, please email me at virtualbogleheads@gmail.com and just tell me that you're interested in joining. I can send you further information about it as we use the Zoom platform and I will send out links via the listserv there.

Thanks!
Manny
Rick Ferri

Post by Rick Ferri »

I’m looking forward to our virtual meeting and a discussion about “The Education of an Index Investor.” In the mean time, think about where YOU are in your education!

😀

Rick Ferri
The Education of an Index Investor: born in darkness, finds indexing enlightenment, overcomplicates everything, embraces simplicity.
Rick Ferri

Post by Rick Ferri »

REMINDER

I am looking forward to presenting at the next meeting Bogleheads Virtual Online Chapter meeting this Tuesday, May 22, at 8 PM EST. In brief, we'll be discussing a few concepts regarding The Education of an Index Investor:

Topics include:

:arrow: Three elements of investor success
:arrow: Four levels of an indexer’s education
:arrow: Simple portfolio solutions

You can access the videos on the wiki Bogleheads Conferences" page.

See you then!

Rick Ferri
The Education of an Index Investor: born in darkness, finds indexing enlightenment, overcomplicates everything, embraces simplicity.
FiveK

Post by FiveK »

Rick Ferri wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 12:31 pm You can access the videos on the wiki Bogleheads Conferences" page.
Good to know - but could you provide a more specific link? Thanks.
Rick Ferri

Post by Rick Ferri »

I can't, but perhaps a moderator might.

Thanks for asking.

Rick Ferri
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I couldn't find an exact match, so here are all of Rick Ferri's videos:

- Bogleheads® 12 videos (Interviews with Rick Ferri)
- Bogleheads® 11 videos
- Bogleheads® 10 videos
- Bogleheads® 9 videos
- Bogleheads® 7 videos
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Rick Ferri

Post by Rick Ferri »

I think the video we are talking about will be from the virtual meeting this coming Tuesday. It was my understanding these meetings are archived.
FiveK

Post by FiveK »

Rick Ferri wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 4:18 pm I think the video we are talking about will be from the virtual meeting this coming Tuesday. It was my understanding these meetings are archived.
No, unless something has changed. The organizer, lazylarry, has done great things with practically no resources, but a video archive has not yet been one of those things.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Don't forget that the blog can be used as a resource.

See: Virtual online chapter | Financial Page

If you want to share material publicly, such as meeting minutes or links to video channels, feel free to create a blog post. Surf the blog to see what I mean.

Anyone interested in becoming a blogger should PM Barry Barnitz with your request. Or, PM me and I'll pass it along - I'm a blog admin.

(We're always looking for members who'd like to write a blog post.)
lazylarry

Post by lazylarry »

Hi just a reminder about the Virtual bogleheads meeting tomorrow at 8pm EST. Email me at virtualbogleheads@gmail.com if interested.

I will try to record audio (will be the first time), if it's ok with Rick. I'll upload it to youtube or ask the mods if possible to upload somewhere on the forum.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Sorry, but no uploads can be done in the forum. Youtube, or perhaps Vimeo, is your best shot.

Post by 3.141592653589793238 »

Interested in attending and sent a note to the gmail address above.
TheQuietMan

Post by TheQuietMan »

I’d like to thank lazylarry for running tonight’s meeting, and of course Rick Ferri for presenting. The subject was very interesting, and Rick was very generous with his time. The virtual chapter is, I think, a great way for lots of us to connect and to share information. I hope this chapter continues to grow. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
lazylarry

Post by lazylarry »

Hi all,
Had a great meeting with Rick yesterday, we had about 40 participants. Also wanted to thank all the donors and especially some very generous donations. I did make a blog website for the virtualbogleheads information, and wanted to give that because it may be a little bit before I continue working on the website. At the website, there are links for presentations. Let me know if you have any questions.

Also, if anyone has experience with easy video editing/blog managing, feel free to contact me and I'll try to reach out to see if I can make the process a little smoother (for myself mostly).

Thank you again to Rick for presenting and everyone for their insightful questions! I continue to learn so much through this forum.

Website below:
https://virtualbogleheads.wordpress.com/

-Lazylarry
Barry Barnitz
Wiki Admin

Post by Barry Barnitz »

Hi:

We have added the blog link (as well as a link to the vimeo recording of meeting #8) to the Virtual online chapter page on the site's affiliate blog.

thanks,
Additional administrative tasks: Financial Page bogleheads.org. blog; finiki the Canadian wiki; The Bogle Center for Financial Literacy site; La Guía Bogleheads® España site.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Last night's Virtual On-Line meeting was wonderful :happy

Rick - we appreciate so much you giving your time with such an interesting and helpful presentation, and answering all our questions. There was a lot to think about. Looking forward to your new book.

LazyLarry - thank you for setting up and moderating the on-line meeting, everything worked smoothly, you have your techie act together 8-)

For other Bogleheads who may be hesitant to sign up and try logging into the on-line meeting, if I can do it anyone can do it, and I did it! Lazylarry makes it easy and he's always available for questions.
longinvest

Post by longinvest »

Lazylarry,
lazylarry wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 12:15 pm I did make a blog website for the virtualbogleheads information, and wanted to give that because it may be a little bit before I continue working on the website. At the website, there are links for presentations. Let me know if you have any questions.
Website below:
https://virtualbogleheads.wordpress.com/
Thank you for making the presentation and Q&A session available on Vimeo. This is awesome!
Variable Percentage Withdrawal (bogleheads.org/wiki/VPW) | One-Fund Portfolio (bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=287967)
Good Listener

Post by Good Listener »

It was great lazylarry. Thanks for arranging. I wanted to donate so you could get to your goal to avoid needing to change links at 40 minutes but I don't use PayPal. But then it lasted on 1 link for more than an hour. Did you reach your $150 goal per your recent comments here?
dwickenh

Post by dwickenh »

Thank you for the link, the meeting was very interesting.
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett
lazylarry

Post by lazylarry »

Good Listener wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 8:07 pm It was great lazylarry. Thanks for arranging. I wanted to donate so you could get to your goal to avoid needing to change links at 40 minutes but I don't use PayPal. But then it lasted on 1 link for more than an hour. Did you reach your $150 goal per your recent comments here?
I did goodlistener! Thanks for offering. Always feel free to donate however, any excess funds we'll save for next year :).
SFlinvestor

Post by SFlinvestor »

Great idea! I'm in!

Would still love live meetings as well, cause it's nice to meet great local likeminded people.

The creativity and community of people in the Boglehead community is amazing, and something I am proud to be a part of.

Someone mentioned livestreaming the annual event as well. T

This would be a fabulous idea to include many more people.