Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2021!

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2021!

Post by Miriam2 »

Congratulations Bogleheads Retirement Class of 2021! Here's the final Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2021 :D

Our Retirement Class now has _97_ excited graduates!

Our oldest retirees are Randtor (70 yr, 3 mo), Arabesque (69.5), and Wish (68), and our youngest retirees are birdog (48), Elena (48), WanderingWheelz (49.5), and AerialWombat (40's).

Our most senior Boglehead retirees are kaesler, who joined this forum on Mar. 12, 2007, and tetractys, who joined on Mar. 17, 2007, both less than a month after this great forum began on Feb. 19, 2007 - their portfolios are True Masterpieces of Financial Acumen! 8-)

We also have marco1910, who joined the Bogleheads in 2008, and Barefoot Girl, Dad3Boys, and Taz who joined in 2009! :D

Our Graduation Class!! - Congratulations and enjoy your retirement :sharebeer
01 Jan - WanderingWheelz (age 49.5)
01 Jan - Silk McCue (61)
02 Jan - bliksem55 (59)
05 Jan - Nash22 (60)
08 Jan - Shackleton (53)
08 Jan - Gardening Dog
19 Jan - journey (56)
31 Jan - Arabesque (69.5)
31 Jan - AllMostThere (55)

01 Feb - gamboolman (61)
01 Feb - ClassOf2021 (63)
01 Feb - scguy613 (64)
12 Feb - Djwil296 (57.5)
11 Feb - Exchme (60)
15 Feb - datadatum (50)
17 Feb - Taz (57)
26 Feb - Fierce Escape (53)

16 Mar - mchop (50)
23 Mar - walkindude (62)
31 Mar - Barefootgirl (60)
__ Mar - Dad3Boys (62)

02 Apr - Barcelonasteve (54)
02 Apr - kaesler
15 Apr - travelspot (53)
30 Apr - jello_nailer (64)
30 Apr - Bungo (52)
30 Apr - reddison (62)
30 Apr - CRC_Volunteer
__ Apr - corn18 (55)
__ Apr - bluesky50 (55)
__ Apr - Unhewnstone (55)

07 May - CompassRose (61)
07 May - bhughes1001 (64)
07 May - wesley888 (56)
14 May - GeraniumLover
14 May - cadreamer2015
28 May - radiowave
28 May - Sodapop (65)
31 May - Swee'pea (62)
31 May - chris319 (66)
__ May - Parrothead <<== Welcome to the Class!

01 Jun - beernutz (62)
01 Jun - Randtor (70 yr, 3 mo)
04 Jun - wandering_aimlessly (55)
04 Jun - Candor (53)
11 Jun - livelovelaugh (53)
15 Jun - Fiddle-Bow (60)
18 Jun - ClassOf21 (51)
20 Jun - slyfox (56)
25 Jun - Elena (48)
28 Jun - JediMisty (63)
30 Jun - McDougal
__ Jun - KarenC

01 Jul - KESP (64)
01 Jul - tetractys (65)
05 Jul - Johnsson (59)
08 Jul - NancyABQ (59)
09 Jul - marco1910 (65)
09 Jul - 2cents2
31 Jul - maineminder (62)
__ Jul - The Outsider (64)
__ Jul - cdc (60)

01 Aug - fposte (58)
05 Aug - retire2022 (61)
06 Aug - walkabout (58)
31 Aug - ClaycordJCA (62)
31 Aug - victw (52)
__ Aug - SunnySideUp (58)

01 Sep - mggray17 (52)
08 Sep - birdog (48)
17 Sep - startwithtruth (60)
20 Sep - goblue100
30 Sep - jgman
__ Sep - flyingaway (57)

01 Oct - Derpalator (61)
01 Oct - Matt62
21 Oct - JimmyPete (66)
__ Oct - MDfan (60)

01 Nov - D. C. Pline (57)
22 Nov - wish (68)
30 Nov - shapeshifter (58)

01 Dec - AnotherMike
03 Dec - Morgan22 (55)
23 Dec - beyou (57)
23 Dec - LHRAdam (50)
31 Dec - DKD (62)
31 Dec - 2020content (55)
31 Dec - trueson1 (65)
31 Dec - FinishLine (55)
31 Dec - Hiker-Biker (57)
31 Dec - Recently Retired (60)

__ ___ - formerlybroke (60)
__ ___ - JackFFR1846
__ ___ - Siaigi
__ ___ - RuralLivin
__ ___ - SemiRetire (52)
__ ___ - AerialWombat (40's)

The Infinity Retirement Class 8-)
TheTimeLord (class of 2014/2015/2016/2017/2018/2019/2020/2021 . . . to infinity and beyond!! . . .)
HomerJ (class of 2021 . . . to S&P 5,000 and beyond!! . . .)

Retired and feeling left out?? Never too late to join this Most Awesome Retirement Class 8-)
Last edited by Miriam2 on Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:29 am, edited 7 times in total.
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

I actually stayed on part-time and am now working from home two days a week. Best of both worlds, especially now when it's difficult to travel and it's difficult (at least in MD weather-wise) to play golf. Since I'm a fed, Im going to try and keep this arrangement to age 62.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

MDfan wrote: I actually stayed on part-time and am now working from home two days a week. Best of both worlds, especially now when it's difficult to travel and it's difficult (at least in MD weather-wise) to play golf. Since I'm a fed, Im going to try and keep this arrangement to age 62.
Sounds perfect and sounds like you feel that you punched out of the rat race :beer Hold out till spring and you can golf all day LOL
Randtor

Post by Randtor »

I’ve been a member for a few years now but didn’t know this part of the forum existed. I just came across it today so I will add my name to the retired roll call of 2021.
I officially retired June 1st after reducing my hours gradually over the previous 3 years. At 70 years and 3 months I reluctantly pulled the plug. I was fortunate to have a profession I loved, but I also have enough hobbies to keep me constantly busy every day if I so choose. It appears that I have usurped first place as the oldest retiree for 2021 lol!
Cheers,
Rand
"Whats done is done, and can't be undone"
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Randtor wrote: I’ve been a member for a few years now but didn’t know this part of the forum existed.
I'm a failure . . . :shock:
Randtor wrote:I just came across it today so I will add my name to the retired roll call of 2021.
Whew - you found us!
Randtor wrote:I officially retired June 1st after reducing my hours gradually over the previous 3 years. At 70 years and 3 months I reluctantly pulled the plug. I was fortunate to have a profession I loved, but I also have enough hobbies to keep me constantly busy every day if I so choose.
"reluctantly pulled the plug" and retired . . . I understand completely. Good to retire, but hard to say good-bye sometimes.

Welcome to this Most Extraordinary Retirement Roll Call! You're in the Class of 2021! :D
Randtor wrote:It appears that I have usurped first place as the oldest retiree for 2021 lol!
Cheers,
Rand
That's OK! If they want to hold the Very Coveted Award as the Oldest Retiree, they "could" return to work and retire next year and win the prize LOL!

And anyway, you're all close enough to share this Remarkable Award :beer

We hope you have a long, wonderful retirement enjoying your many hobbies and all your free time to plan as you wish. Please let us know what you're up to and how your retirement decision works out.
D. C. Pline

Post by D. C. Pline »

Miriam2 wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:41 pm
D. C. Pline wrote: Is anyone retiring in November?
(looks around)
How about me? Today is my day! I'm 57, it's Monday and I have no work!
:D
THAT must have been a great feeling! We're very happy you pulled that plug and PUNCHED OUT!! :D

You are now entered on the Most Highly Respected Roll Call in the world - actually in all worlds - and after a lifetime of good work, we are most delighted to include you in the Retirement Class of 2021 8-)

We know you'll enjoy all your Mondays, well actually, you'll enjoy all your days, and nights - but as our mentor has said, stay physically active and mentally fit and enjoy the Sunny Side of the Street. Do you have a To Do List?
My to do list:

1. Make a list
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

D. C. Pline wrote: My to do list:

1. Make a list
So how's it going? Please keep us updated on your progress :D
Topic Author
Miriam2

Boston BH Chapter zoom meeting with Christine Benz on Retirement- 1/22/2022

Post by Miriam2 »

Hello new retirees 8-)

Christine Benz from Morningstar is giving a retirement presentation for the Boston Bogleheads Chapter this Saturday, Jan 22, 2022, from 10:00 am to 12 noon Eastern Time. This virtual meeting is open to all Bogleheads!

Her topic is: "What If This Turns Out To Be A Terrible Time To Retire?" :shock: :annoyed

Her presentation will be followed by Q&A with ample time for interesting discussion.

The zoom link for this meeting is posted on the Bogleheads Blog Calendar of Events.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Re: Retirement Life Stage Chapter Meeting: Finding Purpose in Retirement-2/23/22

Post by Miriam2 »

All retirees may find this unique upcoming Bogleheads zoom meeting of interest - "Finding Your Purpose in Retirement" :happy

This meeting is "unique" because - in addition to the regular Q&A portion by everyone - it will first include a Boglehead Focus Group with retirement Professor Jill Steinberg discussing how they handled, or couldn't handle, this very important aspect of retirement: finding your purpose in retirement.

This zoom meeting is hosted by the Pre/Early Retirement and Retirement Life Stage chapters on Wed. Feb. 23, 2022, starting at 7 pm (Central).
5 pm Pacific Time
6 pm Mountain
7 pm Central
8 pm Eastern

Although the target audience is retirees and pre-retirees - all Bogleheads are welcome to join 8-)

Meeting Format: This meeting's format came about following the very successful Nov. 10, 2021 meeting with Professor Jill Steinberg (** see resume below) on "Successful Retirement: From Retiring to Rewiring." The Nov. 10th meeting explored the non-financial issues that Bogleheads have experienced when moving into retirement, and how people preparing for retirement can better plan for this transition.

This upcoming meeting on Feb. 23 is a follow-up, designed to explore what retirement researchers have found to be one of the most serious aspects of transitioning from a life of work purpose to a retirement with what?? purpose. Dr. Steinberg suggested using the focus group format.

-- 1st hour - A small number of Bogleheads volunteers (the Focus Group 8-) ) will be selected in advance (by the Pre-Retirement Life Stage Chapter coordinators) who are willing to be interviewed by Dr. Steinberg during the zoom meeting (anonymously, if desired), discussing how "Finding Purpose in Retirement" has applied to their own lives. Everyone else will observe the focus group discussion and Dr. Steinberg's suggestions.

-- 2nd hour - Then the meeting will open up and everyone will have the opportunity to ask questions and share their perspectives and experiences, along with open Q&A on other retirement topics you may have.

How to RSVP or be part of the Focus Group: You can RSVP (anonymously) for the meeting HERE. If you wish to be part of the focus group, also include your first name, last initial, and email address on the RSVP form and you will be contacted by email with further details.

The Zoom link will be posted on the Bogleheads Calendar of Events a week before the meeting.

** Jill Steinberg Background:
Jill Steinberg, Ph.D. is an Emeritus Professor at San Jose State University, Licensed Clinical Psychologist, Salzburg Fellow, and author and Founder of MyRetirementWorks.com. She received her undergraduate degree from Boston University in 1972 and doctorate in Clinical Psychology from Ohio State University in 1978. She teaches classes and has presented her research on Successful Retirement to universities including B.U., Google and other professional organizations.

Her research, “Successful Retirement: From Retiring to Rewiring” was published this year in: The Aging Consumer: Perspectives from Psychology and Marketing, 2nd edition, Eds: Drolet and Yoon (Routledge, 2021). Additionally, she has been working with the University of Michigan Ross Business School since the beginning of COVID.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

LHRAdam wrote: Retired 23/12/2021
Aged 50
4 years earlier than planned - and 4 years after finding BH. Earlier was because of portfolio growth + moving to a significantly LCOL area, in Scotland.
Hi LHRAdam and welcome to the Retirement Roll Call - all the way from Scotland :D

Looks like your retirement was in 2021, so I moved you from 2022 to this Most Awesome Retirement Class of 2021. Let me know if I goofed. Happy you found the Bogleheads when you did!

Please let us know what it's like to retire - even early retire - to Scotland. How are you planning your days? As noted in the above post ^^^, how are you transitioning from a life of work purpose to a new life in Scotland without your old schedules?

We wish you a long wonderful and very warm retirement :D
Topic Author
Miriam2

Re: Reminder- Retirement Life Stage Meeting: Finding Purpose in Retirement- Wed 2/23/2022

Post by Miriam2 »

Hi Retirement Class of 2021 :D

A reminder for this upcoming zoom meeting - "Finding Your Purpose in Retirement" :happy hosted by the Pre/Early Retirement and Retirement Life Stage chapters on Wed. Feb. 23, 2022, starting at 7 pm (Central).

5 pm Pacific Time
6 pm Mountain
7 pm Central
8 pm Eastern

This meeting will begin with a small Boglehead Focus Group with retirement Professor Jill Steinberg discussing this very important aspect of retirement, followed by Q&A on any retirement topic. Please see the post upthread ^^^ with details and how to be part of the focus group. It's not necessary to RSVP or be in the focus group to attend. Although the target audience is retirees and pre-retirees - all Bogleheads are welcome to join 8-)

Here is the Zoom link for the meeting, and the full link is also posted on the Bogleheads Calendar of Events. The meeting will not be recorded.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Pre-Retirement & Retirement Life Stage Chapter meeting- "Relocating for Retirement"

Post by Miriam2 »

The Pre-Retirement & Retirement Life Stage Chapters are hosting a meeting on Wed. March 23, 2022, at 8:00 pm ET with an interesting open discussion on "Relocating for Retirement".

Something to think about if you're headed into retirement - are you going to relocate? And if you have retired, did you relocate or decide not to? Many things to talk about - the pros and cons of relocating, decisions to make, things to look out for, logistics of moving, settling into a new place, from HCOL to LCOL or to a more expensive place, closer to family or farther away, sunshine & seashore or mountains & snow, another state or another country - there's lots to consider and share with others in an open discussion :happy

Here is the zoom link and the complete zoom link is on the https://www.bogleheads.org/blog/calendar-of events

All Bogleheads are invited, retirement planning will be on your mind before you know it!
beyou

Post by beyou »

No plans to relo, in fact avoiding relocation was the reason I retired. Employer wanted me to move to a LCOL state, and I wasn’t leaving my HCOL state for them or anyone.

That said, maybe if I am much older I may feel differently, but in my early retirement not moving. Going to finally enjoy my home commute free !
JimmyPete

Post by JimmyPete »

I'm a bit late enrolling, but please, sign me up for the Class of 2021. I retired in October 21 at age 66. Both my wife and I work from home, so my retirement hasn't really changed our day to day lives. She's a few years younger than me and will continue to work as a busy freelance writer for another few years. I'm looking for hobbies and/or other activities to keep busy. In anticipation of retirement, we purchased a piano last summer and I really enjoy spending an hour or two each day learning how to play. I believe one must continually seek out activities to engage the mind.

We're in pretty good financial shape, so money's not a huge concern at the moment. We don't really have much in the way of concrete plans for retirement, but do enjoy the occasional trip. Covid put a stop to that back in 2020, but I suspect that as infections and hospitalizations continue to decline, we'll soon feel better about flying, staying in hotels, indoor dining, etc. Fingers crossed.

I've followed John Bogle's investment philosophy of investing in a diversified bucket of index funds for many years, opening my first account with Vanguard in the 80's. And while it hasn't always been wine and roses, we have managed to save enough that, when combined with Social Security, we should be able to maintain our standard of living for the next few decades. Life doesn't always play fair and the future is, as always, an unknown, but right this moment we consider ourselves very fortunate.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

JimmyPete wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:44 pm I'm a bit late enrolling, but please, sign me up for the Class of 2021. I retired in October 21 at age 66. Both my wife and I work from home, so my retirement hasn't really changed our day to day lives. She's a few years younger than me and will continue to work as a busy freelance writer for another few years. I'm looking for hobbies and/or other activities to keep busy. In anticipation of retirement, we purchased a piano last summer and I really enjoy spending an hour or two each day learning how to play. I believe one must continually seek out activities to engage the mind.
Hi JimmyPete - never too late to enroll in the Retirement Roll Call! Welcome, you're in the Cool Class of 2021 8-)

A piano!! What a great retirement hobby and I certainly agree it's important to continually seek out activities to engage the mind. Perhaps your next challenge could be playing bridge with a serious bridge club :wink:

Please let us know when you mastered Scott Joplin on the piano! :D
We're in pretty good financial shape, so money's not a huge concern at the moment. We don't really have much in the way of concrete plans for retirement, but do enjoy the occasional trip. Covid put a stop to that back in 2020, but I suspect that as infections and hospitalizations continue to decline, we'll soon feel better about flying, staying in hotels, indoor dining, etc. Fingers crossed.
:beer
I've followed John Bogle's investment philosophy of investing in a diversified bucket of index funds for many years, opening my first account with Vanguard in the 80's. And while it hasn't always been wine and roses, we have managed to save enough that, when combined with Social Security, we should be able to maintain our standard of living for the next few decades. Life doesn't always play fair and the future is, as always, an unknown, but right this moment we consider ourselves very fortunate.
We're very happy for you, and wow! opening your first account with Vanguard in the 80's is remarkable. We have another Boglehead who invested in the Vanguard 500 index fund (then called Vanguard's First Index Investment Trust) "Bogle's Folly" in the late 1970's when it was first rolled out. He said something like he read about it in a book or the paper and thought, "That index fund makes good sense."

We wish you all the best in your retirement, hope you enjoy good travels and many mind-engaging activities for a very long time :happy
Topic Author
Miriam2

Re: Pre & Retired Life Stage Meeting- Wed 4/6/2022- 8:00 pm ET- "The Death Book"

Post by Miriam2 »

The Pre & Early Retirement and Retired Life Stage Chapters are holding an important zoom meeting tomorrow, Wed. April 6, 2022, at 8:00 pm ET, on how to document your personal financial details so your surviving spouse or family knows what is there, where it is, how to get it, and what to do in case you croak, die, or become incapacitated. :annoyed

Bogleheads have given this document many names over the years: the "In Case I Croak Book"; "The Death Book"; or Taylor's more gentlemanly "Letter of Final Instructions". :happy

Whatever you call it - it needs to be done. But how are you going to do it? In many cases, only one spouse or partner handles most of the financial tasks, so how can you make these directions easier for your surviving spouse?

Please share your thoughts and personal experiences on the topic, "Documenting Financial Information for Surviving Spouse or Executor." All Bogleheads are welcome :happy

5 pm Pacific
6 pm Mountain
7 pm Central
8 pm Eastern

Although it's not necessary to RSVP for the meeting, you can RSVP and submit your questions HERE. All responses are anonymous.

Here is the zoom link -
Zoom link

Meeting ID: 892 9264 0248
Passcode: 794093

One tap mobile
+13462487799,,89292640248#,,,,*794093# US (Houston)
+12532158782,,89292640248#,,,,*794093# US (Tacoma)

Dial by your location
+1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
+1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
+1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
+1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)
+1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
+1 929 205 6099 US (New York)
Meeting ID: 892 9264 0248
Passcode: 794093
Find your local number: https://us06web.zoom.us/u/kbcWBz0tfi

Thank you to the Pre & Early Retirement and Retirement Life Stage Chapter Coordinators for hosting this meeting 8-)
Topic Author
Miriam2

Retired Life Stage Chapter meeting- Tues 4/12/2022- 8:00 pm ET

Post by Miriam2 »

Hello Retirement Class of 2021!! :happy

The Retired Life Stage Chapter is hosting a meeting on Zoom tomorrow, Tues. April 12, 2022, from 8:00-10:00 pm ET

5-7:00 pm Pacific | 6-8:00 pm Mountain | 7-9:00 pm Central | 8-10:00 pm Eastern

Format: Open Q&A session discussing a variety of topics, such as -
  • How are you dealing with inflation and increased market volatility?
  • Have you made (or contemplated) any changes in your asset allocation and/or bond holdings?
  • What tools have you found most helpful for retirement planning?
  • Other (suggest in the RSVP Form).
All Bogleheads are welcome! To encourage open discussion (preferably with video), and to protect participants privacy, the meeting will NOT be recorded. You can RSVP for the meeting and suggest additional topics for discussion here - RSVP Link - All responses are anonymous and you don't need to RSVP to attend the meeting.

HERE is the Zoom link - and the full link is posted on the BH Calendar of Events.

Note - there have been recent updates to Zoom, so if you plan to participate in any upcoming meetings, make sure you're running the latest version for your device (whether laptop, tablet, or smartphone) ==> https://zoom.us/download
jgman

Post by jgman »

Hello, I retired September 30, 2021 from the Federal Govt. I love having my PQF (peace, quiet, freedom)
Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue »

jgman wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:55 pm Hello, I retired September 30, 2021 from the Federal Govt. I love having my PQF (peace, quiet, freedom)
Congrats on the retirement!

Cheers
RetirementClass2021

Post by RetirementClass2021 »

Hello!

My last day of employment was 12/31/21.

After 490 months at my company and recently turning 60 it is now time for some "me time".
VTI 52% VXUS 13% BND 10.5% BNDX 7% SCHP 17.5% | Globally diversified low-cost passive index fund portfolio | “Forget the needle, buy the haystack.” - John C. Bogle
Hiker-Biker

Post by Hiker-Biker »

Recently Retired wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 4:16 pm Hello!

After 490 months at my company and recently turning 60 it is now time for some "me time".
Congrats! So you started at age 20 and worked 40 years at the same company? That’s quite an achievement!
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

jgman wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:55 pm Hello, I retired September 30, 2021 from the Federal Govt. I love having my PQF (peace, quiet, freedom)
Nice!! Peace, Quiet, Freedom :happy Welcome to the 2021 Retirement Roll Call - never too late to hear these glorious words :D

What have you been doing with your peace and quiet and freedom? Whatever you're doing, we hope you really enjoy your new life and that you have many years of good health and great adventure to come!
chris319

Post by chris319 »

I've been retired for about a year. Before I retired, my doctor was concerned about my high blood pressure. I was on all sorts of meds to deal with my BP. My former workplace was a toxic cesspool with a lot of undiagnosed mental illness. The work was strenuous by its very nature.

In the year since retirement it's been a challenge finding things to pass the time and to keep my mind occupied but I've managed. Now, one year after retiring, I'm happy to report that my BP has come down dramatically, which my doctor was pleased to hear. I'm still on meds but the BP numbers have been consistently more favorable.

No job is worth having a stroke.

In addition, my former employer now faces over $4 billion in defamation lawsuits. Yes, that's "billion" with a "B". I think they are on thin ice and are likely to lose the case. Karma. I can only hope that my pension won't be affected if they lose.
Financial decisions based on emotion often turn out to be bad decisions.
jgman

Post by jgman »

Miriam2 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 12:44 am
Nice!! Peace, Quiet, Freedom :happy Welcome to the 2021 Retirement Roll Call - never too late to hear these glorious words :D

What have you been doing with your peace and quiet and freedom? Whatever you're doing, we hope you really enjoy your new life and that you have many years of good health and great adventure to come!
Thanks Miriam2! Just relaxing....working on my house and yard, going to the gym etc
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

chris319 wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 11:34 pm I've been retired for about a year. Before I retired, my doctor was concerned about my high blood pressure. I was on all sorts of meds to deal with my BP. My former workplace was a toxic cesspool with a lot of undiagnosed mental illness. The work was strenuous by its very nature.
Ohhhh - what a nightmare - lucky, lucky, lucky that you punched out of there :happy We remember your descriptions.
In the year since retirement it's been a challenge finding things to pass the time and to keep my mind occupied but I've managed. Now, one year after retiring, I'm happy to report that my BP has come down dramatically, which my doctor was pleased to hear. I'm still on meds but the BP numbers have been consistently more favorable.
Good going 8-) and thank you for the update. Good news is great.
No job is worth having a stroke.
For sure, or even having a miserable time for a long time.
In addition, my former employer now faces over $4 billion in defamation lawsuits. Yes, that's "billion" with a "B". I think they are on thin ice and are likely to lose the case. Karma. I can only hope that my pension won't be affected if they lose.
Good you punched out! We're all routing for your pension :beer

We hope everything continues to work out for you and that you're able to create your new space and adventures in retirement. It's hard with all that empty free unstructured time ahead of you, but you're doing it :happy
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Recently Retired wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 4:16 pm Hello!

Congratulations Recently Retired, and welcome to the Retirement Roll Call Class of 2021! We agree completely that it's time for you to move at your own pace, on your own schedule, in your own way, for your own benefit, doing what you want :D You're on the Roll Call. Best wishes for a wonderful retirement!
GeraniumLover

Post by GeraniumLover »

It looks like our class may be experiencing a bad sequence of returns situation in both equity and bonds coupled with high inflation for our first year of retirement. How are folks handling this? Anyone going back to work? I am just staying the course with my AA but getting a bit nervous without new money coming in to invest at lower prices.
birdog

Post by birdog »

GeraniumLover wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 5:58 am It looks like our class may be experiencing a bad sequence of returns situation in both equity and bonds coupled with high inflation for our first year of retirement. How are folks handling this? Anyone going back to work? I am just staying the course with my AA but getting a bit nervous without new money coming in to invest at lower prices.
While I agree that it is a bit of bad timing and somewhat of an attack from multiple angles (equities, bonds, inflation), the 4% rule of thumb was built around catastrophic events (stock market crash, great depression, war, high inflation) happening literally the day after you retire. Building in a buffer and not retiring the day you hit your FI number is a smart way to hedge against this current storm of events so hopefully people did that prior to walking away from a paycheck. But remember, we're not even through the first year yet so it's definitely too early, in my opinion, to plan a return to the workplace. Take a breath and have faith in the process. If you're nervous maybe take one or two vacations this year instead of the three that was planned, as an example. Withdraw in a manner in which to maintain your desired asset allocation and/or follow the withdrawal instructions in your IPS.

Here's some food for thought. In March 2020, before Covid hit and the market tanked, the S&P was at 3200. The market then crashed sending the S&P all the way down to 2200. Today the S&P is at 3800, much higher than when it peaked in 2020 before the crash. In light of that I'd say the market isn't doing so bad. :sharebeer
chris319

Post by chris319 »

Between pension and soc sec I've got the bases covered. It's great having that income stream.

It's inflation that worries me.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

birdog wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:33 am
GeraniumLover wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 5:58 am It looks like our class may be experiencing a bad sequence of returns situation in both equity and bonds coupled with high inflation for our first year of retirement. How are folks handling this? Anyone going back to work? I am just staying the course with my AA but getting a bit nervous without new money coming in to invest at lower prices.
While I agree that it is a bit of bad timing and somewhat of an attack from multiple angles (equities, bonds, inflation), the 4% rule of thumb was built around catastrophic events (stock market crash, great depression, war, high inflation) happening literally the day after you retire. Building in a buffer and not retiring the day you hit your FI number is a smart way to hedge against this current storm of events so hopefully people did that prior to walking away from a paycheck. But remember, we're not even through the first year yet so it's definitely too early, in my opinion, to plan a return to the workplace. Take a breath and have faith in the process. If you're nervous maybe take one or two vacations this year instead of the three that was planned, as an example. Withdraw in a manner in which to maintain your desired asset allocation and/or follow the withdrawal instructions in your IPS.

Here's some food for thought. In March 2020, before Covid hit and the market tanked, the S&P was at 3200. The market then crashed sending the S&P all the way down to 2200. Today the S&P is at 3800, much higher than when it peaked in 2020 before the crash. In light of that I'd say the market isn't doing so bad. :sharebeer
Thanks so much for your input and sound advice, Birdog :happy It is posts like your post that make the Bogleheads the special place it is for personal investors helping personal investors.

John Bogle wrote in his Foreword to The Bogleheads Guide to Investing, pg xiv:

"Two especially notable characteristics mark the Boglehead culture. One is rationality. These individual investors are awash in common sense, intolerant of illogic, and permeated with a preference for facts over hyperbole. . . .

The second characteristic is, of all things, caring. Bogleheads care about one another. They are eager to help all investors - regular visitors to the Web site and new ones, informed and naive, experienced and novice alike - who have questions on almost any investment subject, and willing to discuss the investment issues of the day, sometimes even the national and global issues, with no holds barred (except for rudeness or coarseness). Fund selection, fund performance, types of investments, retirement planning, savings programs, tax management - none are beyond the scope of this remarkable association of investors who, without compensation or bias, strive to help their fellow investors. If there is a Web site that bespeaks the Golden Rule, surely the Boglehead site is its paradigm."

-- John Bogle, Sept. 1, 2005
CRC_Volunteer

Post by CRC_Volunteer »

A little late to the meeting. Retired on 4/30/2021. Had to purchase a Day Clock (it tells the day of the week) as everyday is a holiday!
"Let me explain. No, there is too much. Let me sum up." (Inigo Montoya) | | 65/30/05 | 53% VTSAX | 12% VTIAX | 30% VAIPX | 5% CASH
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

CRC_Volunteer wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:40 am A little late to the meeting. Retired on 4/30/2021. Had to purchase a Day Clock (it tells the day of the week) as everyday is a holiday!
Haha! You're added to the class, CRC_Volunteer! Never to late to hear those most exciting words, "Welcome to the Retirement Roll Call!"

Hope your retirement continues to be One Big Wonderful Holiday :D Let us know what you're doing with all your free time.
corn18

Post by corn18 »

My probability of success in firecalc and monte carlo sim has gone from a solid 100% to 85%. It had gone as low as 83%. I guess a 25% drop in equities followed by the worst 40 year period in history is not good.

I just go with the flow. Haven't changed anything except stopped spending $480/mo in DoorDash and quit smoking (that saves another $230/mo). No way I'm going back to work. I have thought about finding a college course on chaos theory but can't find anything local in person. All all line.
Consistently sets low goals and fails to achieve them.
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

I’m retired 11 months, I don’t miss work been getting pension and healthcare is taken care of at 66k a year, portfolio down -21% or -518k on 2.0 Million portfolio.

AA is 95/5 not worried life is good, everything else is not doing good but whatca going to do, the downs are par for the course, regression to the mean.
chris319

Post by chris319 »

Retired for over a year now from my former workplace which had become a toxic cesspool.

One year on, the nightmares have subsided and my formerly high blood pressure is under control.

No job is worth a stroke. Retirement has health benefits.

Upon retirement I arranged for a golden parachute consisting of 12 weeks of unused paid sick leave.

My former employer now faces two lawsuits totaling over $4 billion (with a "B") which I predict they will lose. The company has tried to get the lawsuits thrown out but has been unsuccessful. If they lose it is likely insurance will cover the costs and it will not disrupt my pension.

MSNBC and CNN help me get through the day. And Bogleheads, of course.
JediMisty

Post by JediMisty »

I retired a year ago. Not loving the YTD ",paper losses". Not going back to work though, nor am I cutting back on my vacations this year as I have paid for all or most of each of them. Where I've tightened my belt is putting off furnishing my townhouse I bought last fall after my move, limiting the hiring of tradesman to help with the numerous cosmetic issues, and avoiding unnecessary purchases. I'm still painting myself - one room at a time in between vacations. I carry my lunch when I go to my volunteer position. Yesterday I calculated that my withdrawal rate will be less than 3 percent of the current portfolio total. I'll be Ok if I don't have to spend too much assisting my sister who wants to come live with me after the death of her husband in June. But that's a whole separate post. Oh, and I've treated myself to a Bruce ticket for next year's local show.
Parrothead

Post by Parrothead »

Hello, I retired from teaching (college) in May, 2021 and am still waiting for all the fun I was going to have! Between the economy and health issues, I guess I got off to a slow start. Anyway, I/we are getting by and hoping for a better year in 2023. JediMisty noted some "belt tightening", and we have done the same. Here in Florida many of us are struggling with our homeowner's insurance rates (ours went from$1500/yr to $4800/yr just a few weeks after I announced my retirement), but our state leaders don't seem to care and have no plans to correct this problem! My retirement budget didn't count on that, or a 9% inflation rate! So, we cut our cable cord and went to streaming (saved $115/mo) and changed mobile phone service (moving from Verizon to Visible), and made other cuts to make up for it. Anyway, glad to join you guys.
Living and dying in 3/4 time. - Jimmy Buffett
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Parrothead wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:42 pm Hello, I retired from teaching (college) in May, 2021 and am still waiting for all the fun I was going to have! Between the economy and health issues, I guess I got off to a slow start. Anyway, I/we are getting by and hoping for a better year in 2023.
A BIG WELCOME to this Retirement Class of 2021 - and hearing these magical words => Welcome to the Retirement Roll Call! - will help you gather energy for retirement fun :D
Parrothead wrote: JediMisty noted some "belt tightening", and we have done the same. Here in Florida many of us are struggling with our homeowner's insurance rates (ours went from$1500/yr to $4800/yr just a few weeks after I announced my retirement), but our state leaders don't seem to care and have no plans to correct this problem! My retirement budget didn't count on that, or a 9% inflation rate! So, we cut our cable cord and went to streaming (saved $115/mo) and changed mobile phone service (moving from Verizon to Visible), and made other cuts to make up for it. Anyway, glad to join you guys.
Thank you for sharing your retirement plans. The homeowner's insurance difficulty is certainly a snag in retirement planning. And while belt-tightening during retirement is no fun, at least you're taking prudent precautionary measures to keep your financial house together (that's a mouthful, but we do the same :mrgreen: )

Here's a thread you might find helpful Sequence of Return Risk side discussion- I can't believe I am thinking this [Panic and Survival 2008-09] - and just keep checking this great forum for helpful posts. You'll find yourself in good company. We wish you all the best in your retirement, no hurricanes, lots of good times and new, enjoyable experiences! Love your parrot avatar 8-)