Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2020!

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Rwsavory

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2020!

Post by Rwsavory »

After 33 years practicing law I decided to leave all the glory to others, effective December 14. They say "it's not the age, it's the mileage," and at 58 I was tired of dealing with other people's problems but not ready to abandon ship until the virus hit. Covid-19 caused a slow-down in work and a need to spend more time with my 10-year old daughter. I ended up enjoying that a lot more than The Law, so here I am. Fortunately for me, DW is 10 years younger and at the prime of her career. Fortunately for her, I am fully domesticated. :beer
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Rwsavory wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:29 pm After 33 years practicing law I decided to leave all the glory to others, effective December 14. They say "it's not the age, it's the mileage," and at 58 I was tired of dealing with other people's problems but not ready to abandon ship until the virus hit. Covid-19 caused a slow-down in work and a need to spend more time with my 10-year old daughter. I ended up enjoying that a lot more than The Law, so here I am. Fortunately for me, DW is 10 years younger and at the prime of her career. Fortunately for her, I am fully domesticated. :beer
Welcome to this great 2020 Retirement Class! And thank you for sharing your path to retirement 8-)

Please share the secret of how to domesticate the family :D

Best wishes for a long happy retirement, leave other people's problems to upcoming lawyers :mrgreen: and enjoy all these years with your daughter and family - many new adventures and happy times!

BTW - here's a very useful thread for when your daughter enters "the high school graduation" phase :wink:
www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=158948 - "Prom budget for teenage girl?"
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

For those who retired in 2020 and are not working in 2021 (like me :wink: ), remember that 2021 income may not qualify you to contribute to an IRA or Roth.

See: Publication 590-A (2019), Contributions to Individual Retirement Arrangements (IRAs)
What Isn’t Compensation?

Compensation doesn’t include any of the following items.

* Earnings and profits from property, such as rental income, interest income, and dividend income.
* Pension or annuity income.
* Deferred compensation received (compensation payments postponed from a past year).
* Income from a partnership for which you don’t provide services that are a material income-producing factor.
* Conservation Reserve Program (CRP) payments reported on Schedule SE (Form 1040 or 1040-SR), line 1b.
* Any amounts (other than combat pay) you exclude from income, such as foreign earned income and housing costs.
I didn't remember this until now :oops: . No problem, as contributions can be made until the tax filing deadline in April.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Miriam2 wrote: Congratulations on your retirement, gwe67, and welcome to the Retirement Roll Call!

We won't ask you to explain the concept of Financial Independence :D but we're curious how you're investing your portfolio and what your plans are to weather this potentially impending portfolio implosion :wink:

We wish you many good years of a long and rewarding retirement, filled with new experiences and fun times :beer
gwe67 wrote: [written when no such implosion happened] Where is this implosion you speak of?
Miriam2 wrote: :mrgreen: I was listening to too many news programs and figuring out the future - fortunately I never acted on my fears :D
gwe67 wrote: Thank you, IPS!!
Good thing the S&P didn't end up at 2,240 like you predicted.
gwe67 - It takes a while, but your comment finally sunk in :oops:

My 2020 Bogleheads S&P 500 Contest prediction of 2,240 was based upon the sound financial principle of Not-Doing-Anything. I simply used the same prediction as before. But yes, delighted my prediction was a flop!

This year, having more time on my hands - heh heh - I made greater effort to became more advanced in my prediction ability.

The 2020 Bogleheads S&P 500 Contest winner, MIretired, announced the following secrets of his great success:
MIretired wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:11 am My strategy to win was: "the year after a big up year is usually followed by another up year" and " don't pick a round number or you may be duplicating someone else's guess." And maybe "pick prime/odd numbers."
So, using this tried & true method, I made every effort to determine an appropriate prediction, but alas, despair set in and I reverted back to 2240 as the easy choice for year 2021. If I win, it will be a buying opportunity; if I lose, I'll find myself a better strategy 8-)
goldendad

Post by goldendad »

Late posting this. Retired Nov 28th, age 65. Plans were to do some traveling and visit the grandchildren. Maybe an Alaskan cruise. Nothing exotic just yet. Covid messed most of that up. Will start in late 2021.
bltkmt

Post by bltkmt »

In hindsight, I guess I am a proud member of this 2020 class! I quit a job in 2020 - was there for 15 years, but the firm was on its way out of business. Took a job in NYC during the pandemic that required a train commute. Quit that after three weeks due to a variety of reasons. Have not worked since and do not miss it at all. Financially I think we are fine. However, my wife is still adjusting (or not) to having me home all day, every day....
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

goldendad wrote: Late posting this. Retired Nov 28th, age 65. Plans were to do some traveling and visit the grandchildren. Maybe an Alaskan cruise. Nothing exotic just yet. Covid messed most of that up. Will start in late 2021.
Welcome to the Roll Call and to the Retirement Class of 2020! Never too late to post your punch out date :D We hope you've been able to do some of the nice things you planned for. Best wishes for a long wonderful retirement 8-)
Topic Author
Miriam2

Re: Retirement Life Stage Chapter Meeting: Finding Purpose in Retirement- 2/23/22

Post by Miriam2 »

Hi Retirement Class of 2020 8-)

Now that you're retired, you may find this unique upcoming Bogleheads zoom meeting of interest - "Finding Your Purpose in Retirement" :happy

This meeting is "unique" because - in addition to the regular Q&A portion by everyone - it will first include a Boglehead Focus Group with retirement Professor Jill Steinberg discussing how they handled, or couldn't handle, this very important aspect of retirement: finding your purpose in retirement.

This zoom meeting is hosted by the Pre/Early Retirement and Retirement Life Stage chapters on Wed. Feb. 23, 2022, starting at 7 pm (Central).
5 pm Pacific Time
6 pm Mountain
7 pm Central
8 pm Eastern

Although the target audience is retirees and pre-retirees - all Bogleheads are welcome to join 8-)

Meeting Format: This meeting's format came about following the very successful Nov. 10, 2021 meeting with Professor Jill Steinberg (** see resume below) on "Successful Retirement: From Retiring to Rewiring." The Nov. 10th meeting explored the non-financial issues that Bogleheads experienced when moving into retirement, and how people preparing for retirement can better plan for this transition.

This upcoming meeting on Feb. 23 is a follow-up, designed to explore what retirement researchers have found to be one of the most serious aspects of transitioning from a life of work purpose to a retirement with what?? purpose. Dr. Steinberg suggested using the focus group format.

-- 1st hour - A small number of Boglehead volunteers (the Focus Group 8-) ) will be selected in advance (by the Pre-Retirement Life Stage Chapter coordinators) who are willing to be interviewed by Dr. Steinberg during the zoom meeting (anonymously, if desired), discussing how "Finding Purpose in Retirement" has applied to their own lives. Everyone else will observe the focus group discussion and Dr. Steinberg's suggestions.

-- 2nd hour - Then the meeting will open up and everyone will have the opportunity to ask questions and share their perspectives and experiences, along with open Q&A on other retirement topics you may have.

How to RSVP or be part of the Focus Group: You can RSVP (anonymously) for the meeting HERE, but it's not necessary to RSVP to attend the meeting. If you wish to be part of the focus group, fill in the focus group sections on the RSVP form and you will be contacted by email with further details.

The Zoom link is Here - and is also posted on the Bogleheads Calendar of Events.
** Jill Steinberg Background:
Jill Steinberg, Ph.D. is an Emeritus Professor at San Jose State University, Licensed Clinical Psychologist, Salzburg Fellow, and author and Founder of MyRetirementWorks.com. She received her undergraduate degree from Boston University in 1972 and doctorate in Clinical Psychology from Ohio State University in 1978. She teaches classes and has presented her research on Successful Retirement to universities including B.U., Google and other professional organizations.

Her research, “Successful Retirement: From Retiring to Rewiring” was published this year in: The Aging Consumer: Perspectives from Psychology and Marketing, 2nd edition, Eds: Drolet and Yoon (Routledge, 2021). Additionally, she has been working with the University of Michigan Ross Business School since the beginning of COVID.
freddy0

Post by freddy0 »

Congratulations on successful retirement.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

bltkmt wrote: In hindsight, I guess I am a proud member of this 2020 class! I quit a job in 2020 - was there for 15 years, but the firm was on its way out of business. Took a job in NYC during the pandemic that required a train commute. Quit that after three weeks due to a variety of reasons. Have not worked since and do not miss it at all. Financially I think we are fine. However, my wife is still adjusting (or not) to having me home all day, every day....
OK bltkmt, you're on the Roll Call for this most Awesome Retirement Class of 2020! Thanks for sharing your glidepath into retirement 8-)

Ahh - the wife is still adjusting (or not) to having you home all day, every day . . . :shock: :annoyed Sounds like it's one of those "be sure to take your keys with you when you go out to the mailbox" situations :P

You might enjoy the Bogleheads "Finding Your Purpose in Retirement" on-line meeting on Wed. Feb. 23, 2022, at 8:00 pm ET - see announcement in above post ^^ for details and zoom link.

We wish you all the best and hope you have a great retirement with many new adventures and enjoyable times :D
dlm2827

Post by dlm2827 »

I ended my career in school administration on June 30,2020 at age 61. Liked what I was doing, but enjoy the freedom that not working provides!
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I ended my career on May 6, 2020. It's been two years and I have no regrets whatsoever. The first year was a bit rough getting used to the change (including becoming a widow...), but things have settled out. Yes, I love the new freedom that not working provides!
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

dlm2827 wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 2:59 pm I ended my career in school administration on June 30,2020 at age 61. Liked what I was doing, but enjoy the freedom that not working provides!
Congratulations dlm2827! and welcome to this fabulous Boglehead Retirement Class of 2020 :D Never too late to realize that you indeed DID retire and time to join the Retirement Roll Call!

So what have you been up to? Lots of freedom - but how do you fill those days without a schedule :shock:

We wish you a wonderful retirement full of exciting new adventures, great trips, delicious food and wine, good bridge games and poker hands, interesting books to read, luck at the slots and the races, success in decluttering the garage, and fun times with family and friends, maybe a little pickleball and hiking and sailing and bird watching thrown in - life is great! :sharebeer
funinthesun

Post by funinthesun »

Some how I forgot to post in the Retirement Class of 2020, time flys by! Retired Dec 3 2020 after 40 years with the same company at age 62. Now living on the Sun Coast of Florida and summers in Maine. Enjoying the freedom of not working, stress free!
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

funinthesun wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 1:08 pm Some how I forgot to post in the Retirement Class of 2020, time flys by! Retired Dec 3 2020 after 40 years with the same company at age 62. Now living on the Sun Coast of Florida and summers in Maine. Enjoying the freedom of not working, stress free!
Hi funinthesun! Congratulations on your retirement - happy you found the Retirement Roll Call :D Sounds like you're having a wonderful time enjoying the stress-free freedom of not working - well-deserved after working for 40 years. Good work and now good retirement.

We wish you continued good experiences during this time of life, eat lots of Stone Crabs and Maine Lobsters :mrgreen: but stay away from Florida hurricanes and Maine tics, enjoy lots of time with family and friends, keep your mind happy and your body healthy and your portfolio safe :D

Welcome to the Retirement Roll Call - you're a welcome and happy member of the Fantastic Class of 2020!
goblue100

Post by goblue100 »

goblue100 wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:22 am I had posted in the 2021 thread with my anticipated exit date. However, due to Covid and poor business conditions my company is looking for volunteers to exit now. I've raised my hand and my last day will be 11/4/2020. I've spent half my life working for this company, so it is bittersweet, but the timing seems right. Now I need to start shopping for my own insurance. :(
Thought I would check in 3 years in. What is my retirement like? More about Grandkids than awesome vacations, so far. Not complaining, just reality. The time off turned out to be a blessing, as my wife got to spend a lot of time with her Dad before he passed in 2021. Going to spend two weeks in Coastal Mexico in February, which will be our first international travel. Certainly hoping to do more. Time seems to fly, not drag. Our spending has been less than expected, probably due to not traveling much, lol. Wife will get first SS check in February. I'm still 7 years away.
"Confusion has its cost" - Crosby, Stills and Nash
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

goblue100 wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:22 am I had posted in the 2021 thread with my anticipated exit date. However, due to Covid and poor business conditions my company is looking for volunteers to exit now. I've raised my hand and my last day will be 11/4/2020. I've spent half my life working for this company, so it is bittersweet, but the timing seems right. Now I need to start shopping for my own insurance. :(
goblue100 wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:37 am Thought I would check in 3 years in. What is my retirement like? More about Grandkids than awesome vacations, so far. Not complaining, just reality. The time off turned out to be a blessing, as my wife got to spend a lot of time with her Dad before he passed in 2021. Going to spend two weeks in Coastal Mexico in February, which will be our first international travel. Certainly hoping to do more. Time seems to fly, not drag. Our spending has been less than expected, probably due to not traveling much, lol. Wife will get first SS check in February. I'm still 7 years away.
Thanks so much for posting your 3-year Retirement check-in! Sounds like you're enjoying your freedom from schedules and stress. I think that by itself is a good vacation from the salt mines :mrgreen:

I like your phrase: "Time seems to fly, not drag." How true this is. Why is it? At one of our Bogleheads Chapter meetings we were discussing this: why does time seem to just fly by as we get older? Pretty esoteric and philosophical, we couldn't figure it out :annoyed

We hope you continue to enjoy your retirement and hope you get in some great adventures on your vacations!
goblue100

Post by goblue100 »

Miriam2 wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:28 pm
I like your phrase: "Time seems to fly, not drag." How true this is. Why is it? At one of our Bogleheads Chapter meetings we were discussing this: why does time seem to just fly by as we get older? Pretty esoteric and philosophical, we couldn't figure it out :annoyed
I suppose math may be part of the reason. When we are 10 another year is a tenth(.10) of the time we have been alive. At 62 it is only 16 hundreds(.016) of the time we have been alive.
Miriam2 wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:28 pm We hope you continue to enjoy your retirement and hope you get in some great adventures on your vacations!
Thanks for the well wishes. We have had some great visits with family and the 4 grandchildren that have been born in the last 2.5 years. Doesn't appear to be any more on the immediate horizon! Thanks for all you do in these threads!
"Confusion has its cost" - Crosby, Stills and Nash
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

goblue100 wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 4:46 pm
Miriam2 wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:28 pm
I suppose math may be part of the reason. When we are 10 another year is a tenth(.10) of the time we have been alive. At 62 it is only 16 hundreds(.016) of the time we have been alive.
Ohh - it's all about the math . . . and life :annoyed Interesting perspective, thanks!
goblue100 wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 4:46 pm
Miriam2 wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:28 pm We hope you continue to enjoy your retirement and hope you get in some great adventures on your vacations!
Thanks for the well wishes. We have had some great visits with family and the 4 grandchildren that have been born in the last 2.5 years. Doesn't appear to be any more on the immediate horizon! Thanks for all you do in these threads!
You're welcome! Sounds like a fun time with the family - you certainly have the opportunity for lots of Baby Duty :D