Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2021!

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
beyou

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2021!

Post by beyou »

flyingaway wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:52 pm I retired unexpectedly early this month at the age of 57. I do not expect to have another job again. I am still trying to figure out what to do with my life. At this time, I am just happy to do nothing.
Close in age. Looking forward to doing far less.
Just waiting for employer to ask me to leave and get a severance package. Guess I did too good a job, haven’t gotten it yet. But I will and then it’s couch potato time for a bit.
Last edited by beyou on Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Pegasus_RPG wrote: Hey everyone.
Just found this topic and wanted to chime in that my wife retired from the military in mid-July with a good life-long pension as well as a healthy TSP balance. Now she can be married to me instead of the DoD. :happy

I however am a small business owner with no concrete plans to retire yet as I like what I do. (Plus my wife wants me to even out the earnings since I couldn't do as well as her with moving around every few years. :P )
Congratulations to your wife! and best wishes on your plan of "evening out the earnings!" :D We hope you continue enjoying your work - keep pulling in the :moneybag and stashing it away! Please let us know when you decide to follow your wife into retirement bliss - and we want to hear all about it :!:
beyou

Post by beyou »

beyou wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:41 pm
flyingaway wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:52 pm I retired unexpectedly early this month at the age of 57. I do not expect to have another job again. I am still trying to figure out what to do with my life. At this time, I am just happy to do nothing.
Close in age. Looking forward to doing far less.
Just waiting for employer to ask me to leave and get a severance package. Guess I did too good a job, haven’t gotten it yet. But I will and then it’s couch potato time for a bit.
Well it finally was confirmed, I am retiring and will celebrate New Years Eve as I had planned earlier this year !
Will be 57 at retirement, maybe not young enough to say fiRE but I am happy with the outcome.
Enjoyed much of my career, but full time work has gotten tiring to me and looking forward to disabling the morning alarm on my iPhone.
Already working on my fitness. DW not retired yet so I will be the SAH as she was when kids were younger. My turn !
Look forward to having energy to do things I didn't do before.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

flyingaway wrote: I retired unexpectedly early this month at the age of 57. I do not expect to have another job again. I am still trying to figure out what to do with my life. At this time, I am just happy to do nothing.
Hi Flyingaway! Congratulations on your unexpected retirement and a big welcome to this Wonderful Retirement Roll Call! You're in the class :D

You have a whole big life ahead of you and doing nothing can be a big part of it! Well, at least part of it. When you're done contemplating the universe, you'll find many good things to do (perhaps start with the clutter in the garage or attic?!) and many new adventures - we had one BH who wanted to go scuba diving in Antarctica :shock:

We wish you all the best and hope you have a long, happy retirement. Please let us know what you're doing :D
D. C. Pline

Post by D. C. Pline »

Is anyone retiring in November?

(looks around)

How about me? Today is my day! I'm 57, it's Monday and I have no work!

:D
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

Miriam2 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:12 pm
flyingaway wrote: I retired unexpectedly early this month at the age of 57. I do not expect to have another job again. I am still trying to figure out what to do with my life. At this time, I am just happy to do nothing.
Hi Flyingaway! Congratulations on your unexpected retirement and a big welcome to this Wonderful Retirement Roll Call! You're in the class :D

You have a whole big life ahead of you and doing nothing can be a big part of it! Well, at least part of it. When you're done contemplating the universe, you'll find many good things to do (perhaps start with the clutter in the garage or attic?!) and many new adventures - we had one BH who wanted to go scuba diving in Antarctica :shock:

We wish you all the best and hope you have a long, happy retirement. Please let us know what you're doing :D
This must be a mis-statement. I also plan to visit Antarctica, but to see the penguins.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Miriam2 wrote: Hi Flyingaway! . . . You have a whole big life ahead of you and doing nothing can be a big part of it! Well, at least part of it. When you're done contemplating the universe, you'll find many good things to do (perhaps start with the clutter in the garage or attic?!) and many new adventures - we had one BH who wanted to go scuba diving in Antarctica :shock:
flyingaway wrote: This must be a mis-statement. I also plan to visit Antarctica, but to see the penguins.
Haha! Not a mis-statement! It's one of your 2021 classmates :D
Derpalator wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:33 am . . . Plans include more travel, Antarctic scuba diving (bucket list), new pool, TESLA and solar panels, pole barn, vehicle lift, air hammer (too much South Main Auto on youtube!), and finding my new groove, including better sleep and exercise.
Well anyway, penguins or scuba diving, here's a nice picture to get us excited for an outstanding retirement adventure!

Derpalator

Post by Derpalator »

Miriam2 wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:47 am
Miriam2 wrote: Hi Flyingaway! . . . You have a whole big life ahead of you and doing nothing can be a big part of it! Well, at least part of it. When you're done contemplating the universe, you'll find many good things to do (perhaps start with the clutter in the garage or attic?!) and many new adventures - we had one BH who wanted to go scuba diving in Antarctica :shock:
flyingaway wrote: This must be a mis-statement. I also plan to visit Antarctica, but to see the penguins.
Derpalator wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:33 am . . . Plans include more travel, Antarctic scuba diving (bucket list), new pool, TESLA and solar panels, pole barn, vehicle lift, air hammer (too much South Main Auto on youtube!), and finding my new groove, including better sleep and exercise.
Well anyway, penguins or scuba diving, here's a nice picture to get us excited for an outstanding retirement adventure!

Update: one month 2 days since retirement. Colonoscopy check. Dental work check. Daughter married check. Still waiting on movers to bring our stuff! Only travel settled so far is going to family in Connecticut for Christmas. REALLY cannot plan trips until movers bring stuff!!! :annoyed

Sleep still needs improvement, exercise doing well (already lost 22 lbs) (likely better eating! :mrgreen: ). Turns out house maintenance (we have been gone 3 years) and gardening improvements have taken priority for now, until winter completely sets in.

Realistically, maybe fit in Iceland or UK/Baltic states travel vs new sites in Caribbean for diving. Safaris in Africa and further Indonesia diving mapped out but not registered. New Zealand, revisit Australia are possibilities. The Antartica diving still requires some training in dry suits first; likely Seattle trip for same.

With all of the house maintenance and constant "honey do" lists and waiting to sort through our moved possessions and planned decluttering this is not the best of times BUT STILL BETTER THAN WORKING!! :D
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

Derpalator wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:14 am

Update: one month 2 days since retirement. Colonoscopy check. Dental work check. Daughter married check. Still waiting on movers to bring our stuff! Only travel settled so far is going to family in Connecticut for Christmas. REALLY cannot plan trips until movers bring stuff!!! :annoyed

Sleep still needs improvement, exercise doing well (already lost 22 lbs) (likely better eating! :mrgreen: ). Turns out house maintenance (we have been gone 3 years) and gardening improvements have taken priority for now, until winter completely sets in.

Realistically, maybe fit in Iceland or UK/Baltic states travel vs new sites in Caribbean for diving. Safaris in Africa and further Indonesia diving mapped out but not registered. New Zealand, revisit Australia are possibilities. The Antartica diving still requires some training in dry suits first; likely Seattle trip for same.

With all of the house maintenance and constant "honey do" lists and waiting to sort through our moved possessions and planned decluttering this is not the best of times BUT STILL BETTER THAN WORKING!! :D
I am making my first overseas trip next month to Mexico. I cannot wait for the virus to disappear to make any move. Life has to go on and time is flying away, especially I am now retried.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

The background ==>

Update! Update!! ==>

Hello 2021 Class! Put aside the lovely iceberg . . . We received an astonishing update from fellow classmate Derpalator, who retired - gasp! :shock: only a month ago (and yes - scuba diving in Anarctica is STILL on his to-do list :D ) ==>
Derpalator wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:14 am Update: one month 2 days since retirement. Colonoscopy check. Dental work check. Daughter married check. Still waiting on movers to bring our stuff! Only travel settled so far is going to family in Connecticut for Christmas. REALLY cannot plan trips until movers bring stuff!!! :annoyed

Realistically, maybe fit in Iceland or UK/Baltic states travel vs new sites in Caribbean for diving. Safaris in Africa and further Indonesia diving mapped out but not registered. New Zealand, revisit Australia are possibilities. The Antarctica diving still requires some training in dry suits first; likely Seattle trip for same.

Way to go, Derpalator!! You're not taking retirement in the easy chair :D Your get-up-and-do-it enthusiasm is really refreshing to read and really gets me going - with your energy (and a good amount of guilt on my part - heh heh) I'm heading for the yard to shovel soil into the holes made by mating iguanas :annoyed (it's a South Florida tradition) and then into the garage for the afternoon declutter (another tradition).

Hard to believe you've only been retired for one month - ONE MONTH { :shock: :shock: gasp! gasp!}

We wish you continued good energy and good spirits. Don't worry, your stuff will come (eventually) and in the great Zen tradition we can suggest that after all - it is only stuff - but a Honey-Do list is quite real and we wish you good luck with that 8-) Please continue to share your adventures with us for many wonderful years to come and we hope you enjoy every minute of a long retirement :happy
Derpalator

Post by Derpalator »

Miriam2 wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:43 pm The background ==>

Update! Update!! ==>

Hello 2021 Class! Put aside the lovely iceberg . . . We received an astonishing update from fellow classmate Derpalator, who retired - gasp! :shock: only a month ago (and yes - scuba diving in Anarctica is STILL on his to-do list :D ) ==>
Derpalator wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:14 am Update: one month 2 days since retirement. Colonoscopy check. Dental work check. Daughter married check. Still waiting on movers to bring our stuff! Only travel settled so far is going to family in Connecticut for Christmas. REALLY cannot plan trips until movers bring stuff!!! :annoyed

Realistically, maybe fit in Iceland or UK/Baltic states travel vs new sites in Caribbean for diving. Safaris in Africa and further Indonesia diving mapped out but not registered. New Zealand, revisit Australia are possibilities. The Antarctica diving still requires some training in dry suits first; likely Seattle trip for same.

Way to go, Derpalator!! You're not taking retirement in the easy chair :D Your get-up-and-do-it enthusiasm is really refreshing to read and really gets me going - with your energy (and a good amount of guilt on my part - heh heh) I'm heading for the yard to shovel soil into the holes made by mating iguanas :annoyed (it's a South Florida tradition) and then into the garage for the afternoon declutter (another tradition).

Hard to believe you've only been retired for one month - ONE MONTH { :shock: :shock: gasp! gasp!}

We wish you continued good energy and good spirits. Don't worry, your stuff will come (eventually) and in the great Zen tradition we can suggest that after all - it is only stuff - but a Honey-Do list is quite real and we wish you good luck with that 8-) Please continue to share your adventures with us for many wonderful years to come and we hope you enjoy every minute of a long retirement :happy
:D :wink:
AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat »

deleted
Last edited by AerialWombat on Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This post is a work of fiction. Any similarity to real financial advice is purely coincidental.
Zeno

Post by Zeno »

AerialWombat wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:58 pm In December 2019, I pseudo-semi-retired. Moved into my forever home right at the start of the pandemic. Figured I'd work part-time in my business for several more years.

Well, I was made an offer I couldn't refuse, and so I have sold my "day job" business.

Thus, it looks like I'm inadvertently joining the Retirement Class of 2021.

I'm in my 40s, single, no kids. It's kind of scary to see the thing that generates the vast majority of my income sailing off into the sunset, but I'm beyond ready to move on to the next chapter in life. I've started looking at local volunteer opportunities, and have already booked a 30-day cruise for 2022 -- without Internet service.

Here's to next steps. :beer
You are awesome, AerialWombat. This is very impressive. Keep posting and let us know what it is like transitioning to the other side. You could help a lot of folks, including me, by posting about your journey ahead.
wish

Post by wish »

... 2 more days to work & then will retire at almost 69.

I've been easing out of semi-rural medical practice for the past year and am very thankful that I have not contracted Covid despite substantial local infection rates.

I will surely miss the patients, the staff, and the challenges -- but I am oh so ready to leave EMR & constantly changing regulatory and insurance mandates behind.

Kids are grown and 4th grandson is due next week!

Wish
birdog

Post by birdog »

AerialWombat wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:58 pm In December 2019, I pseudo-semi-retired. Moved into my forever home right at the start of the pandemic. Figured I'd work part-time in my business for several more years.

Well, I was made an offer I couldn't refuse, and so I have sold my "day job" business.

I'm in my 40s, single, no kids. It's kind of scary to see the thing that generates the vast majority of my income sailing off into the sunset, but I'm beyond ready to move on to the next chapter in life. I've started looking at local volunteer opportunities, and have already booked a 30-day cruise for 2022 -- without Internet service.

That is excellent! Congratulations!

I also sold my business and retired two months ago at age 48. My life has taken a drastic turn for the better already. Busy planning trips with the family and enjoying not having an alarm clock wake me up anymore. I've taken on more volunteer work with my church and am getting previously neglected jobs done around the house. I'm exercising more and eating better and have dropped 20 lbs without really trying. My stress level is lower and I'm able to just be present and enjoy wherever I am with whomever I'm with.

That 30-day cruise sounds AMAZING! Where to? Or maybe a better question is, where NOT to?
AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat »

deleted
Last edited by AerialWombat on Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This post is a work of fiction. Any similarity to real financial advice is purely coincidental.
AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat »

deleted
Last edited by AerialWombat on Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
life in slices

Post by life in slices »

AerialWombat wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:15 pm Thank you, I appreciate that. Tomorrow is my final work day, and honestly, I have nothing planned yet beyond that. Since I've been pseudo-semi-retired (I need a better term for that) for the entirety of the pandemic,
Congrats!
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

AllMostThere wrote: I keep forgetting to add my name to the 2021 Roll Call. Must be having too much fun. :happy
Effective Jan 31st @ 55 yrs. :beer
Welcome to the Retirement Roll Call, AllMostThere! It's good you finally remembered that now you're There :D

So what are you doing now that you're There? Whatever it is, we hope retirement is everything you wanted and that you enjoy your new life and its many adventures 8-)
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

For those Bogleheads who are looking for something to do tonight, here is the complete "Retirement Roll Call Series" :happy

Link to Retirement Class of 1998

Link to Retirement Class of 2014

Link to Retirement Class of 2015

Link to Retirement Class of 2016

Link to Retirement Class of 2017

Link to Retirement Class of 2018

Link to Retirement Class of 2019

Link to Retirement Class of 2020

Link to Retirement Class of 2022

For anyone not on the Roll Call lists, it is never too late, just click on the applicable link and add your name to the list!
Last edited by Miriam2 on Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

FinishLine wrote: Retiring after 32 years at Megacorp, age 55. Last day is December 31st, 2021. Happy to put corporate life in the rear view mirror, and excited for the next chapter!
Hey FinishLine!! You're almost there :D Very happy to include you in this Most Magnificent Retirement Class - you're on the Roll Call for 2021!

"Retiring after 32 years at Megacorp, age 55 . . . happy to put corporate life in the rear view mirror . . ." Sounds like the perfect time to retire from a good job or good work or at least it paid the bills and supports retirement :mrgreen: and in any event, time marches on and we're happy that you're excited for your future chapter!

It's a big exciting time on the sunny side of the street and you deserve every minute of it - please let us know how you're planning your retirement! We wish you a long, enjoyable retirement, fun times with family and friends, and a stress-free portfolio :D
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

shapeshifter wrote: Last conversation with boss was "I'm outta here!". (in jest)
Scoot me back to 11/30!
Done! Today's the day, Shapeshifter :D and you're now - f-r-e-e-e-e - to sleep in till noon! Congratulations!

One Boglehead once asked, "What time do Boglehead retirees get up?" The typical retired Boglehead answers were "from which nap?" or "depends on how late we stayed out the night before" and so on . . . 8-) However, we remember your retirement plans - not a spare minute for sleeping in!

Please let us know how your last few days at work were and how you feel emotionally about closing the door and being "outta there." :happy
Hiker-Biker

Post by Hiker-Biker »

Add me to the list! Retiring on 12/31 from the Federal Govt. Age 57.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

Hiker-Biker wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:34 pm Add me to the list! Retiring on 12/31 from the Federal Govt. Age 57.
I'm just a few years behind you, but wishing the US was back at sub-2% inflation for a few years until FERS COLA kicks in at age 62. Sequence of return risk I guess. Congratulations on retiring at 57; a lot of non-LEO federal employees stay longer these days.
Hiker-Biker

Post by Hiker-Biker »

stan1 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:13 pm
Hiker-Biker wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:34 pm Add me to the list! Retiring on 12/31 from the Federal Govt. Age 57.
I'm just a few years behind you, but wishing the US was back at sub-2% inflation for a few years until FERS COLA kicks in at age 62. Sequence of return risk I guess. Congratulations on retiring at 57; a lot of non-LEO federal employees stay longer these days.
Thanks Stan! Yes the non-cola'd pension will hurt for five years; however, we are DINKS and my younger wife still wants to work. :shock:
beyou

Post by beyou »

Wow, same age retiring this year as well (and apparently same hobbies).
Rode 3000 miles since start of pandemic and started hiking again, though hope to do more when retired next year.
shapeshifter

Post by shapeshifter »

Miriam2 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:24 pm
shapeshifter wrote: Last conversation with boss was "I'm outta here!". (in jest)
Scoot me back to 11/30!
Done! Today's the day, Shapeshifter :D and you're now - f-r-e-e-e-e - to sleep in till noon! Congratulations!

One Boglehead once asked, "What time do Boglehead retirees get up?" The typical retired Boglehead answers were "from which nap?" or "depends on how late we stayed out the night before" and so on . . . 8-) However, we remember your retirement plans - not a spare minute for sleeping in!

Please let us know how your last few days at work were and how you feel emotionally about closing the door and being "outta there." :happy
Thank you, Miriam.

The last couple of months flew by and were very busy. Everything culminated in a retirement dinner that initially I did not want. But, I ended up enjoying the heck out of it!

Emotionally, this is like nothing I have ever experienced and I don't have the words . I really enjoyed those I worked with and will miss them, but nonetheless have no regrets whatsoever.

No napping (yet) as, since day one, DW and I have been babysitting our grandchild two states away 🙂.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

beyou wrote: . . . Looking forward to doing far less.
Just waiting for employer to ask me to leave and get a severance package. Guess I did too good a job, haven’t gotten it yet. But I will and then it’s couch potato time for a bit. . . .

Well it finally was confirmed, I am retiring and will celebrate New Years Eve as I had planned earlier this year !
Will be 57 at retirement, maybe not young enough to say fiRE but I am happy with the outcome.
Enjoyed much of my career, but full time work has gotten tiring to me and looking forward to disabling the morning alarm on my iPhone.
Already working on my fitness. DW not retired yet so I will be the SAH as she was when kids were younger. My turn !
Look forward to having energy to do things I didn't do before.
This is wonderful, Beyou, and we're very happy for you - after all those months of trying to get laid-off or fired from that job :D They knew you were too valuable to let go, irreplaceable! We hope you have happy memories of your work and enjoy moving on into the future.

Nice plans ahead of you 8-) Are you going to cook for the kids? I suspect Livesoft would suggest you make them cook for you LOL. Welcome to this Awesome Retirement Class of 2021 and a very happy Double New Year :beer Please stay physically fit and let us know how you do it - we're excited to follow your retirement adventures and wish you a long, enjoyable time.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

D. C. Pline wrote: Is anyone retiring in November?
(looks around)
How about me? Today is my day! I'm 57, it's Monday and I have no work!
:D
THAT must have been a great feeling! We're very happy you pulled that plug and PUNCHED OUT!! :D

You are now entered on the Most Highly Respected Roll Call in the world - actually in all worlds - and after a lifetime of good work, we are most delighted to include you in the Retirement Class of 2021 8-)

We know you'll enjoy all your Mondays, well actually, you'll enjoy all your days, and nights - but as our mentor has said, stay physically active and mentally fit and enjoy the Sunny Side of the Street. Do you have a To Do List?
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

AerialWombat wrote: In December 2019, I pseudo-semi-retired. Moved into my forever home right at the start of the pandemic. Figured I'd work part-time in my business for several more years.

An offer you couldn't refuse!! Well that's a nice push to "inadvertently" joining the Retirement Class of 2021 :D We once had a Boglehead who "accidentally retired" and another time we had a Boglehead who "might have just added" himself to the retirement class, so now we have one "inadvertently" retiring. It takes all ways to retirement, but the end is the same Sunny Side of the street and a big welcome to the Retirement Roll Call 8-)

This is an exciting time and we wish you a wonderful time in this next great escapade. But about this 30-day cruise -- without internet service -- how can you stay away from us for 30 days?!? Do they feed you? Sleep in a hammock? Please let us know how your cruise goes and how you manage your time retiring in your 40's 8-)
beyou

Post by beyou »

Punched out today…goodbye meetings, performance reviews etc ! Hello relaxation and entertainment !
Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue »

beyou wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:07 pm Punched out today…goodbye meetings, performance reviews etc ! Hello relaxation and entertainment !
Congratulations!

Cheers
birdog

Post by birdog »

beyou wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:07 pm Punched out today…goodbye meetings, performance reviews etc ! Hello relaxation and entertainment !
Congratulations! My last day was three months ago and I don't miss work even a little. Enjoy your newfound freedom!
SunnySideUp

Post by SunnySideUp »

I (a self-taught software engineer with a BS EE) "retired unexpectedly" (was laid off) late in August at age 58 with a decent severance package after working 33 years in tech. In anticipation of this event, our household had relocated from SFBay to southern AZ almost exactly one year ago; post-move I continued to work remotely (as had been the case since COVID struck) and did not suffer a pay cut. We have passive investment income at a level exceeding my last base pay, and will be leveraging COBRA to the max, so are in a good financial position with plenty (an excess?) of safety margin.

Now at 4 months after being laid off, I've been engaging in a passive "see what comes my way while being very choosy" job "search" by advertising my availability on LinkedIn for the past 2 months (just because I love the work), and having recently (unsuccessfully) concluded my first interview, I'm now realizing with something approaching finality that after 4 months away from the BS that accompanies full-time employment in 2021, and facing the aggressive screening of job applicants in my industry (which IMO favors new grads), I am unlikely to be pursuing reentry into the working world unless a true "bolt of benevolent lightning" strikes. So I guess I'm retired as of 2021! :D

Lament: I don't really want to "hang up my SW dev spurs", however part-time (or other "ease off the throttle") employment in my profession does not seem to exist, and per above I've had time to get used to being free of the 9-5+ rat race, and realize my tolerance for the BS is almost gone. COVID was for me a blessing as it removed one of the most stressful aspects of my daily life: commuting in gridlocked SFBay traffic twice a day. And since it has proven also to have broken thru management's aversion to remote working, I had hoped that I could find somewhere in the country an opportunity aligned with my skills and druthers. But I think it's not to be, so finding "other things" to do with my copious free time is now my #1 challenge.
Last edited by SunnySideUp on Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shapeshifter

Post by shapeshifter »

SunnySideUp wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:15 am ... I am unlikely to be pursuing reentry into the working world unless a true "bolt of benevolent lightning" strikes. So I guess I'm retired as of 2021!
Welcome to the club!
SemiRetire

Post by SemiRetire »

doing crypto full time but just for fun and money, not employed.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

wish wrote: ... 2 more days to work & then will retire at almost 69.

I've been easing out of semi-rural medical practice for the past year and am very thankful that I have not contracted Covid despite substantial local infection rates.

I will surely miss the patients, the staff, and the challenges -- but I am oh so ready to leave EMR & constantly changing regulatory and insurance mandates behind.

Kids are grown and 4th grandson is due next week!
Wish
Hi wish! Thank you for your interesting retirement sign-off and we're so very happy you stayed away from that nasty virus :D Welcome to the Retirement Roll Call and to all the wonderful benefits we provide, including Boglehead Teague's recipe for Bourbon Soaked Fruitcake (you may need lots of bourbon after this crazy year), my recipe for Sweet Potato Pudding (it will make you very famous), and Livesoft's recipe for Awesome Abs (the benefit of cooking oatmeal with Dr. Pepper). :D

Nice to retire from good work and to appreciate your retirement. Please let us know your plans for unwinding, your plans for filling up the empty space and creating new routines, and how to handle 4 grandchildren! We wish you a wonderful and fulfilling retirement and hope that you truly enjoy this new phase of your life :D
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Hiker-Biker wrote: Add me to the list! Retiring on 12/31 from the Federal Govt. Age 57.
Congratulations Hiker-Biker and welcome to this most Energetic Retirement Class of 2021 - and you'll fit right in! You're on the Roll Call :D

Age 57 is a good age to retire - here is what Taylor posted about retiring at age 57:
Taylor wrote:

I retired 36 years ago at the age of 57. Unquestionably one of the best decisions of my life.

What's not to like when I can wake up each morning at any time I want, to do whatever I want, including conversations with my Boglehead friends such as this.

It's a beautiful life . . .

Best wishes,
Taylor
www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php? ... 0#p3726034

Note - that was posted in 2018 when Taylor was only 94 years old - he is now 97 and next month will turn a feisty 98 years young 8-)

Taylor Larimore

Hiker-Biker - we wish you a long and exciting retirement! Please keep us posted on your retirement plans :beer
Hiker-Biker

Post by Hiker-Biker »

Miriam2 wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 3:34 am
Hiker-Biker wrote: Add me to the list! Retiring on 12/31 from the Federal Govt. Age 57.
Congratulations Hiker-Biker and welcome to this most Energetic Retirement Class of 2021 - and you'll fit right in! You're on the Roll Call :D

Age 57 is a good age to retire - here is what Taylor posted about retiring at age 57:
Taylor wrote:

I retired 36 years ago at the age of 57. Unquestionably one of the best decisions of my life.

What's not to like when I can wake up each morning at any time I want, to do whatever I want, including conversations with my Boglehead friends such as this.

It's a beautiful life . . .

Best wishes,
Taylor
www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php? ... 0#p3726034

Note - that was posted in 2018 when Taylor was only 94 years old - he is now 97 and next month will turn a feisty 98 years young 8-)

Taylor Larimore

Hiker-Biker - we wish you a long and exciting retirement! Please keep us posted on your retirement plans :beer
Thanks Miriam! I’m effectively retired since I’m off until 12/30 which I’ll spend cleaning out my office, turning in my ID and equipment.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

shapeshifter wrote: . . . The last couple of months flew by and were very busy. Everything culminated in a retirement dinner that initially I did not want. But, I ended up enjoying the heck out of it!
I cannot even remember how many times I have heard this exact comment from so many people! Retirement is a special time and everyone wants to celebrate it, and even those who are by nature shy or less-social find they really enjoy the celebration of a very special event like this :D
shapeshifter wrote:Emotionally, this is like nothing I have ever experienced and I don't have the words . I really enjoyed those I worked with and will miss them, but nonetheless have no regrets whatsoever.
Again, I've heard this so many times. Retirement after a long career is one of life's very special transitions. 8-)

You'll probably enjoy THIS recent Bogleheads Zoom meeting hosted by the Pre-Retirement & Retirement Life Stage Chapters, with a presentation by Jill Steinberg, PhD, on the emotional side of retirement. They are having a follow-up zoom meeting with her on Wed. Feb. 23, 2022, at 8:00 pm ET which I predict everyone will find very interesting and helpful :D

https://www.bogleheads.org/blog/calendar-of-events/

Jill Steinberg Mini-Series Session 1 hosted by Pre/Early and Retirement Life Stage Chapters
When: Wed. February 23, 2022, 8pm – 10pm ET
Description: Guest speaker Jill Steinberg, Ph.D. Mini-series Session 1 - "Successful Retirement: From Retiring to Rewiring"
Zoom presentation/meeting
The Topic is: Making the retirement experience successful and purposeful. Note: this is not a financial discussion per se.

5 pm Pacific
6 pm Mountain
7 pm Central
8 pm Eastern
shapeshifter wrote:No napping (yet) as, since day one, DW and I have been babysitting our grandchild two states away 🙂.
They're happy you retired :mrgreen:
shapeshifter

Post by shapeshifter »

Miriam2 wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 3:28 pm
shapeshifter wrote: . . . The last couple of months flew by and were very busy. Everything culminated in a retirement dinner that initially I did not want. But, I ended up enjoying the heck out of it!
I cannot even remember how many times I have heard this exact comment from so many people! Retirement is a special time and everyone wants to celebrate it, and even those who are by nature shy or less-social find they really enjoy the celebration of a very special event like this :D
shapeshifter wrote:Emotionally, this is like nothing I have ever experienced and I don't have the words . I really enjoyed those I worked with and will miss them, but nonetheless have no regrets whatsoever.
Again, I've heard this so many times. Retirement after a long career is one of life's very special transitions. 8-)

You'll probably enjoy THIS recent Bogleheads Zoom meeting hosted by the Pre-Retirement & Retirement Life Stage Chapters, with a presentation by Jill Steinberg, PhD, on the emotional side of retirement. They are having a follow-up zoom meeting with her on Wed. Feb. 23, 2022, at 8:00 pm ET which I predict everyone will find very interesting and helpful :D

https://www.bogleheads.org/blog/calendar-of-events/

Jill Steinberg Mini-Series Session 1 hosted by Pre/Early and Retirement Life Stage Chapters
When: Wed. February 23, 2022, 8pm – 10pm ET
Description: Guest speaker Jill Steinberg, Ph.D. Mini-series Session 1 - "Successful Retirement: From Retiring to Rewiring"
Zoom presentation/meeting
The Topic is: Making the retirement experience successful and purposeful. Note: this is not a financial discussion per se.

5 pm Pacific
6 pm Mountain
7 pm Central
8 pm Eastern
shapeshifter wrote:No napping (yet) as, since day one, DW and I have been babysitting our grandchild two states away 🙂.
They're happy you retired :mrgreen:
Thank you!
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

SunnySideUp wrote: I (a self-taught software engineer with a BS EE) "retired unexpectedly" (was laid off) late in August at age 58 with a decent severance package after working 33 years in tech. In anticipation of this event, our household had relocated from SFBay to southern AZ almost exactly one year ago; post-move I continued to work remotely (as had been the case since COVID struck) and did not suffer a pay cut. We have passive investment income at a level exceeding my last base pay, and will be leveraging COBRA to the max, so are in a good financial position with plenty (an excess?) of safety margin.
Hi SunnySideUp and congratulations on being "retired unexpectedly" after 33 years working in tech! Sounds like you made good plans and won't need to worry about financial stress :happy What does "leveraging COBRA to the max" mean?
SunnySideUp wrote:Now at 4 months after being laid off, I've been engaging in a passive "see what comes my way while being very choosy" job "search" by advertising my availability on LinkedIn for the past 2 months (just because I love the work), and having recently (unsuccessfully) concluded my first interview, I'm now realizing with something approaching finality that after 4 months away from the BS that accompanies full-time employment in 2021, and facing the aggressive screening of job applicants in my industry (which IMO favors new grads), I am unlikely to be pursuing reentry into the working world unless a true "bolt of benevolent lightning" strikes. So I guess I'm retired as of 2021! :D
Yes, without question, being "retired unexpectedly" and "with something approaching finality" and "unlikely to re-enter the working world unless a true bolt of benevolent lightning strikes" qualifies as "retirement" for this Wildly Insane Retirement Roll Call - in fact, even if benevolent lightning strikes, you can still be a paid-up member in good standing so long as you have punched out of the rat race :D
SunnySideUp wrote:Lament: I don't really want to "hang up my SW dev spurs", however part-time (or other "ease off the throttle") employment in my profession does not seem to exist, and per above I've had time to get used to being free of the 9-5+ rat race, and realize my tolerance for the BS is almost gone. COVID was for me a blessing as it removed one of the most stressful aspects of my daily life: commuting in gridlocked SFBay traffic twice a day. And since it has proven also to have broken thru management's aversion to remote working, I had hoped that I could find somewhere in the country an opportunity aligned with my skills and druthers. But I think it's not to be . . .
Don't give up! We like the idea of benevolent lightning strikes - just be aware of the strike to take advantage of it. Please let us know what it looks like when it comes :mrgreen:
SunnySideUp wrote:. . . so finding "other things" to do with my copious free time is now my #1 challenge.
Aahh yes, the #1 challenge of so many retirees, adrift in a sea of endless free time without routines.

Well perhaps the Bogleheads Series on Retirement with Jill Steinberg would be interesting and helpful - see above post to shapeshifter ^^^^^^

Welcome, SunnySideUp, to the Retirement Roll Call and this Awesome Class of 2021 :D We wish you a long exciting sunny-side-up retirement with lots of new adventures and fun with family and friends.
Scotttheking

Post by Scotttheking »

SunnySideUp wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:15 am I (a self-taught software engineer with a BS EE) "retired unexpectedly" (was laid off) late in August at age 58 with a decent severance package after working 33 years in tech. In anticipation of this event, our household had relocated from SFBay to southern AZ almost exactly one year ago; post-move I continued to work remotely (as had been the case since COVID struck) and did not suffer a pay cut. We have passive investment income at a level exceeding my last base pay, and will be leveraging COBRA to the max, so are in a good financial position with plenty (an excess?) of safety margin.

Now at 4 months after being laid off, I've been engaging in a passive "see what comes my way while being very choosy" job "search" by advertising my availability on LinkedIn for the past 2 months (just because I love the work), and having recently (unsuccessfully) concluded my first interview, I'm now realizing with something approaching finality that after 4 months away from the BS that accompanies full-time employment in 2021, and facing the aggressive screening of job applicants in my industry (which IMO favors new grads), I am unlikely to be pursuing reentry into the working world unless a true "bolt of benevolent lightning" strikes. So I guess I'm retired as of 2021! :D

Lament: I don't really want to "hang up my SW dev spurs", however part-time (or other "ease off the throttle") employment in my profession does not seem to exist, and per above I've had time to get used to being free of the 9-5+ rat race, and realize my tolerance for the BS is almost gone. COVID was for me a blessing as it removed one of the most stressful aspects of my daily life: commuting in gridlocked SFBay traffic twice a day. And since it has proven also to have broken thru management's aversion to remote working, I had hoped that I could find somewhere in the country an opportunity aligned with my skills and druthers. But I think it's not to be, so finding "other things" to do with my copious free time is now my #1 challenge.
You could find an open source project and volunteer, many are very happy to have another dev. Sometimes turns into a job, too.
SunnySideUp

Post by SunnySideUp »

Miriam2 wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 4:53 pm What does "leveraging COBRA to the max" mean?
Just that I have 17 months worth of COBRA runway remaining to figure out (and if necessary, configure income -> AGI?) how to do a reasonably optimal job of setting up the household regarding healthcare insurance coverage once our COBRA runway ends. We'll be entering the market sans employer plan for the first time, and navigating this realm seems "challenging". Aside: pointers to forums or Wikis covering this huge (and ever evolving?) topic (ideally from the perspective of an FI'er) would be appreciated.
Miriam2 wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 4:53 pm Well perhaps the Bogleheads Series on Retirement with Jill Steinberg would be interesting and helpful - see above post to shapeshifter ^^^^^^
I will check that out. Thanks for the suggestion.

And thanks for the welcome!
SunnySideUp

Post by SunnySideUp »

Scotttheking wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 9:41 pm You could find an open source project and volunteer, many are very happy to have another dev. Sometimes turns into a job, too.
Indeed! I got a github PR (to a project I use heavily) accepted maybe 5 months ago. But that was a minor bugfix PR (the second such I've made to said project over the course of perhaps 4 years), unlikely to lead to more involvement.

So yes, I've considered this direction (getting involved supporting an existing open source project) and (kind of like a possible future job opportunity) might pursue it if the right project comes along that strikes my fancy and aligns with my skill-set. But any post-critical-mass open source project has "politics" (a.k.a. BS :) ) not unlike that found in a job. I'll see whether a "benevolent bolt of lightning" strikes me in this arena...

Thanks for the suggestion!
Scotttheking

Post by Scotttheking »

SunnySideUp wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 12:24 pm
Scotttheking wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 9:41 pm You could find an open source project and volunteer, many are very happy to have another dev. Sometimes turns into a job, too.
Indeed! I got a github PR (to a project I use heavily) accepted maybe 5 months ago. But that was a minor bugfix PR (the second such I've made to said project over the course of perhaps 4 years), unlikely to lead to more involvement.

So yes, I've considered this direction (getting involved supporting an existing open source project) and (kind of like a possible future job opportunity) might pursue it if the right project comes along that strikes my fancy and aligns with my skill-set. But any post-critical-mass open source project has "politics" (a.k.a. BS :) ) not unlike that found in a job. I'll see whether a "benevolent bolt of lightning" strikes me in this arena...

Thanks for the suggestion!
Yw!
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

SemiRetire wrote: 52
doing crypto full time but just for fun and money, not employed.
Hi SemiRetire! I guess this is a semi-join and semi-retire in the Retirement Class of 2021 - do you feel that you have punched out of the rat race? Welcome to this Fabulous Roll Call 8-)

Now about this "crypto full time but just for fun and money" :mrgreen: - how do you do that? Does this actually work?

We wish you lots of good luck and a profitable and enjoyable semi-retirement 8-) Taylor always says there are many roads to Dublin and we appreciate you sharing your journey!
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

beyou wrote: Punched out today…goodbye meetings, performance reviews etc ! Hello relaxation and entertainment !
Congratulations! 🎉 🎉 Well-deserved for sure! We hope you truly enjoy this new time of life :D
carminered2019

Post by carminered2019 »

Congrats everyone, you can unplug and put the alarm clock away now !!
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Interesting old thread "Retirees: About your Retirement"
www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=134656