Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
AnnetteLouisan

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

Stinky wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:39 am
AnnetteLouisan wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:25 am Looks like I’ll be earning more in 2022 than I ever have before and saving and investing more too. Should have the exact numbers in January. And late in 2022 I should be nearing $1.9 million in net worth, barring unforeseen events. But I am getting ahead of myself and don’t want to count my chickens before they are hatched.
Those are all excellent developments.

Congratulations!
Thanks so much!!
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

WyomingFIRE wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:29 am Yesterday we officially reached 50X in liquid investments, having been at 47X just a few months ago.

Over the past 12 months, our roughly 65/33/2 portfolio has generated five times what I earn in salary.

We are definitely in the snowball phase of a lazy portfolio. It took about three decades to get to this point, but it is amazing to watch. It is like a living organism.
Congratulations on the ringside seat to watch your "show".
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
Tdubs

Post by Tdubs »

chris319 wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:12 am
Tdubs wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:11 am Reached two comma club in my tax-advantaged accounts for the first time today.

Wanted to post this now in case the market isn't so kind next week.
Congratulations! You called the market top perfectly. Your post was on Saturday and the market has been down every day since, and it's only Wednesday.

I'm blaming this week's poor performance directly on you. Everyone on Wall Street follows Bogleheads, all the big movers and shakers. When they saw your post they decided, welp, that's it, time to sell :mrgreen:

Didn't know you could move the market, did you? I hear Warren Buffett is thinking about shorting the market.

Congratulations on calling the market top, on reaching two commas, and on causing a mini-crash :oops:

Not to worry. Your portfolio and mine will be back to two commas bye and bye.
I take full responsibility. I come from a long line of pessimists.
chris319

Post by chris319 »

Now tell the world you've gone broke and make the market go back up :moneybag

Remember, all of Wall Street is watching. Go ahead and fib if you must; you're not under oath. :mrgreen:
Financial decisions based on emotion often turn out to be bad decisions.
Pinotage

10 years (plus) as a Boglehead

Post by Pinotage »

Good morning Bogleheads, sharing a milestone of a slightly different sort – my 10 year anniversary of joining this site!

Over the last decade I have benefitted greatly from the patience and wisdom shared here. This time has seen many personal, professional, and financial milestones achieved. I am hopeful the next decade will bring more of the same, with an increased focus on kindness and contentment.

Thank you to the community and moderators for all you do.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

That's certainly an accomplishment in my book. Congrats! :beer
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Stinky

Re: 10 years (plus) as a Boglehead

Post by Stinky »

Pinotage wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:22 am Good morning Bogleheads, sharing a milestone of a slightly different sort – my 10 year anniversary of joining this site!

Over the last decade I have benefitted greatly from the patience and wisdom shared here. This time has seen many personal, professional, and financial milestones achieved. I am hopeful the next decade will bring more of the same, with an increased focus on kindness and contentment.

Here’s to your next decade!
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
Tdubs

Post by Tdubs »

chris319 wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:11 pm
Now tell the world you've gone broke and make the market go back up :moneybag

Remember, all of Wall Street is watching. Go ahead and fib if you must; you're not under oath. :mrgreen:
By a hair, I'm still in the two comma club. Expect another down week.
Pinotage

Re: 10 years (plus) as a Boglehead

Post by Pinotage »

Stinky wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:09 am
Pinotage wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:22 am Good morning Bogleheads, sharing a milestone of a slightly different sort – my 10 year anniversary of joining this site!

Here’s to your next decade!
Many thanks!
Pinotage

Post by Pinotage »

LadyGeek wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:00 am That's certainly an accomplishment in my book. Congrats! :beer
Thank you so much! :sharebeer
chris319

Post by chris319 »

It's been a good week.

I was 1.2x margined for much of this year. It's been a nice ride but now the time has come to say goodbye to Mr. Margin for the time being. I'm feeling a little skittish about being margined in the immediate future, so no margin at the moment.

My portfolio consisted of individual stocks before, during and after the dot-com boom. When the dot-com boom went kablooey it inflicted a great deal of damage and I've been digging out ever since. Now I'm just a hair's breadth below the inflation rate:

Since May, 1980:

Inflation: 2.91%

My IRR: 2.87%

This way underperforms SPX and other major market indices, but for me it's a pretty good turnaround considering the amount of post-boom damage repair I've had to do. The switch from individual stocks to index funds accounts for this turnaround. I am now back in the "two comma" club for the first time in a lot of years, but I've got a long, long way to go to catch up with SPX.

Plus, I retired back in June after 51 years in the business.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

chris319 wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:10 am

This way underperforms SPX and other major market indices, but for me it's a pretty good turnaround considering the amount of post-boom damage repair I've had to do. The switch from individual stocks to index funds accounts for this turnaround. I am now back in the "two comma" club for the first time in a lot of years, but I've got a long, long way to go to catch up with SPX.
Congratulations, and welcome back to the "two comma club".

I'm glad that you found index funds. Don't worry about "catching up" to the S&P - keeping even with it through your index funds will be good enough.
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
chris319

Post by chris319 »

Stinky wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:05 am Congratulations, and welcome back to the "two comma club".

I'm glad that you found index funds. Don't worry about "catching up" to the S&P - keeping even with it through your index funds will be good enough.
Thank you for the kind comments :D
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

Two months and two days on BH! 🥂🎉🎊🙌🏻🎁😇
With 1,051 posts. :shock:
Proud owner of $10k in ibonds and 7000 in a Fidelity Roth IRA, back door of course.
$1.8 million net worth, $1.2 million portfolio.
Have an initial IPS.
Know my VOO from my VTI from my VTSAX, at least.
Most importantly, charming, gallant and sage new acquaintances!
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

chris319 wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:10 am It's been a good week.

I was 1.2x margined for much of this year. It's been a nice ride but now the time has come to say goodbye to Mr. Margin for the time being. I'm feeling a little skittish about being margined in the immediate future, so no margin at the moment.

My portfolio consisted of individual stocks before, during and after the dot-com boom. When the dot-com boom went kablooey it inflicted a great deal of damage and I've been digging out ever since. Now I'm just a hair's breadth below the inflation rate:

Since May, 1980:

Congratulations! That’s a long time and a lot digging. But it sounds like it’s paid off for you. Good on you! All the best going forward.
berg

Post by berg »

My Vanguard account today crossed $1M in investments, making me a Flagship customer! I'm not sure there is any benefit I will use, but it was a nice milestone! :D
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

berg wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:52 pm My Vanguard account today crossed $1M in investments, making me a Flagship customer! I'm not sure there is any benefit I will use, but it was a nice milestone! :D
Congratulations on reaching the two-comma club at Vanguard. That’s a significant accomplishment!

(Don’t hold your breath waiting for Vanguard to celebrate your status. But don’t let that take away from your achievement)
gusan

Post by gusan »

Started working in 2005 and started tracking my finances in 2010

2010 - ($250,000) after getting a mortgage in 2008
2015 - $1M
2021 - $5M ( includes primary residence, rentals as well liquid savings)

Have had a great run last 16 years with a lot of luck and support. I am the worrying kind and our expenses are high (in my opinion) but my SO feels you got to enjoy life while you can. We are double income household for last 7 years and that really helped boost the savings. Hoping to get to FI by 57 and SO is planning to quit her job to start a business next year. So no slowing down just yet, but I do like to take a few moments to appreciate what we have accomplished so far and that it has given us the ability to take risks.

Thanks a lot to everyone who contributes to this forum, it helped motivate me double our annual retirement savings over the last couple of years.
jarjarM

Post by jarjarM »

chris319 wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:10 am It's been a good week.

Since May, 1980:

Congrats on the two comma club accomplishment, don't look back, just go forward with your risk appetite. :beer
jarjarM

Post by jarjarM »

gusan wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:38 pm Started working in 2005 and started tracking my finances in 2010

2010 - ($250,000) after getting a mortgage in 2008
2015 - $1M
2021 - $5M ( includes primary residence, rentals as well liquid savings)

Have had a great run last 16 years with a lot of luck and support. I am the worrying kind and our expenses are high (in my opinion) but my SO feels you got to enjoy life while you can. We are double income household for last 7 years and that really helped boost the savings. Hoping to get to FI by 57 and SO is planning to quit her job to start a business next year. So no slowing down just yet, but I do like to take a few moments to appreciate what we have accomplished so far and that it has given us the ability to take risks.

Thanks a lot to everyone who contributes to this forum, it helped motivate me double our annual retirement savings over the last couple of years.
Congrats on getting to half-decamillionairs status, do enjoy the scenery along the way, especially since you're closer to FI than most Americans :beer
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

berg wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:52 pm My Vanguard account today crossed $1M in investments, making me a Flagship customer! I'm not sure there is any benefit I will use, but it was a nice milestone! :D
Congrats! :beer
The Sensible Steward
togb

Portfolio Review pays off- -THANK YOU

Post by togb »

[Post merged into here --admin LadyGeek]

I found this forum a few years ago, and have posted a couple times to get feedback on my portfolio. When I got here I was at about 95% equities, lots of individual stocks, nothing in bonds. Based on the great perspectives y'all offered, and lots of reading/analysis, I decided to move to 65/35 and about 100K in cash. It took me about 18 months to do it, but I got there.

The last few days of market reactions got my attention, but I checked those bond funds and guess what? They barely budged. I still have more than 5 years in "barely volatile" stuff. The changes I made were designed to provide peace of mind, ballast-- and that's what has happened. Thank you for so generously sharing your advice, perspectives, wisdom. I'm not 100% bogglehead, still have some stocks, but what I've learned and applied has been SO beneficial.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I merged togb's post into the ongoing discussion.

It's good to see that persistence and sticking to your plan pays off. :beer

(Thanks to the member who reported the post and provided a link to this thread.)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Stinky

Re: Portfolio Review pays off- -THANK YOU

Post by Stinky »

togb wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:26 pm [Post merged into here --admin LadyGeek]

I found this forum a few years ago, and have posted a couple times to get feedback on my portfolio. When I got here I was at about 95% equities, lots of individual stocks, nothing in bonds. Based on the great perspectives y'all offered, and lots of reading/analysis, I decided to move to 65/35 and about 100K in cash. It took me about 18 months to do it, but I got there.

The last few days of market reactions got my attention, but I checked those bond funds and guess what? They barely budged. I still have more than 5 years in "barely volatile" stuff. The changes I made were designed to provide peace of mind, ballast-- and that's what has happened. Thank you for so generously sharing your advice, perspectives, wisdom. I'm not 100% bogglehead, still have some stocks, but what I've learned and applied has been SO beneficial.
Congratulations on all of your progress!

Even though you say you're not "100% Boglehead", it sounds like you're doing a great job in setting up your portfolio for success.

Please keep reading on this Forum and keep posting.
Bb073084

Post by Bb073084 »

Bb073084 wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:06 am
Bb073084 wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:44 pm Just passed a milestone today! $1.4M networth and $1M investments (pre-tax, post-tax, 401k, and 529).

DW (38) and myself (36) are very proud but realize this is just the beginning. Look forward to the day that we no longer worry about money or saving!
Well wow What a market! Only a few months later and we passed $1.5M net worth thanks almost entirely to market returns putting investments at nearly $1.1M.

Hope we continue to see a rise in the markets so we can reach our goal of $3-$4m in investments within 10 years to retire at 46 (me)/48 DW!
And just like that due to a windfall we have hit $2.3M net worth and $1.8M invested assets. Feel very fortunate and what a wonderful 40th birthday gift for my wife!
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Bb073084 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:32 am
Bb073084 wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:06 am
Bb073084 wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:44 pm Just passed a milestone today! $1.4M networth and $1M investments (pre-tax, post-tax, 401k, and 529).

DW (38) and myself (36) are very proud but realize this is just the beginning. Look forward to the day that we no longer worry about money or saving!
Well wow What a market! Only a few months later and we passed $1.5M net worth thanks almost entirely to market returns putting investments at nearly $1.1M.

Hope we continue to see a rise in the markets so we can reach our goal of $3-$4m in investments within 10 years to retire at 46 (me)/48 DW!
And just like that due to a windfall we have hit $2.3M net worth and $1.8M invested assets. Feel very fortunate and what a wonderful 40th birthday gift for my wife!
Having a net worth in excess of $2 million at age 40 is awesome.

Congratulations!
Boilermaker10

Post by Boilermaker10 »

novemberrain wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:38 pm
Boilermaker10 wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:26 am Won’t be any ipo windfall. Live in LCOL area, self employed and wife has good job. High savings rate and fairly aggressive investment strategy.
Would you mind sharing what is the aggressive investment strategy?
Thank you
Have commodities background, invest in commodity producers at inflection points of business. Cyclical companies can make big moves fast, in both directions which can be made even larger using options
TechieTechie

Officially a 2 comma club member....you too can do it

Post by TechieTechie »

[Thread merged into here --admin LadyGeek]

I just want to say thank you to this board. With your guidance (and some good habits), I am now officially a 2 comma club member. This excludes the value of my primary residence, just investments and liquid accounts.

For those of you who think this is not attainable, I started late (late 30s) and within 15 years, I have a comfortable nest egg. The stock market gains helped, as did socking a fair amount of money away every month...but it was the guidance here that really helped.

Thanks again!
Last edited by TechieTechie on Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
HomeStretch

Re: Officially a 3 comma club member....you too can do it

Post by HomeStretch »

Congratulations, how did you accumulate a $1 billion portfolio? I don’t believe many can achieve that.
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

*3* commas, or 3 groups of digits??
Vogatrice

Post by Vogatrice »

My question too...starting from late 30s to 1 billion? Not sure we can all do that...but I'd love to know how you did it.
runninginvestor

Post by runninginvestor »

Tres comma (billionaire) or dos comma (millionaire)? Judging from a previous post, I think you meant dos?
keystone

Post by keystone »

HomeStretch wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:17 am Congratulations, how did you accumulate a $1 billion portfolio? I don’t believe many can achieve that.
Is this the 1st billionaire on Boglehead? :-P
RXfiles

Post by RXfiles »

keystone wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:25 am
HomeStretch wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:17 am Congratulations, how did you accumulate a $1 billion portfolio? I don’t believe many can achieve that.

You can do it too
an_asker

Post by an_asker »

keystone wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:25 am
The first who has confessed!
TechieTechie

Re: Officially a 2 comma club member....you too can do it

Post by TechieTechie »

I obviously have money in the bank, but not enough coffee in my system.

Sorry, just a simple millionaire. Stupid mistake fixed.
theorist

Post by theorist »

Congratulations! (We await your third comma with enthusiasm, too.)
oldfatguy

Post by oldfatguy »

TechieTechie wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:15 am
For those of you who think this is not attainable, I started late (late 30s) and within 15 years, I have a comfortable nest egg. The stock market gains helped, as did socking a fair amount of money away every month...but it was the guidance here that really helped.
I've been saving/investing for a lot longer than that, and will never have anywhere close to a million dollars in my life.
Vogatrice

Post by Vogatrice »

It's a great achievement, congratulations. Up the coffee and the savings rate...stay the course! So how did you do it? Any specific tips or achievements you'd like to share?

Well done.
Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue »

TechieTechie wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:34 am I obviously have money in the bank, but not enough coffee in my system.

Sorry, just a simple millionaire. Stupid mistake fixed.
No worries. Congratulations is well deserved!

Cheers
TechieTechie

Post by TechieTechie »

Thank you. I was fortunate in a couple of ways:

1. I have a job with a lot of upward movement over the last 15 years (tripled my 2005 salary due to advancement). So, the more you can earn, the more you can save.
2. I work for a company that has both a defined benefit plan and 401k matching...so I maxed those every year
3. I set aside another 10? 20? % into savings (I have 3/4 of a year in an emergency fund).
4. I have always kept my asset risk very low. I own my vehicles outright (older BMWs) and kept my home purchases/mortgage payments to under 15% of my annual salary (recent mortgage is 2.25% for 15 years).
5. My portfolio, inadvertently, was heavily weighted towards stock (>90%). So I was able to capitalize on the markets. Will be rebalancing very soon.
leo383

Post by leo383 »

The third comma is the hardest.
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

TechieTechie wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:15 am I just want to say thank you to this board. With your guidance (and some good habits), I am now officially a 2 comma club member.
Congrats! :sharebeer
"Stay on target! Stay on target!"
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

TechieTechie - Congrats! :beer I merged your thread into the ongoing discussion. The combined thread is in the US Chapters (Community) forum.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

TechieTechie wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:15 am
I just want to say thank you to this board. With your guidance (and some good habits), I am now officially a 2 comma club member. This excludes the value of my primary residence, just investments and liquid accounts.

Thanks again!
That is wonderful.

Congratulations!
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

TechieTechie wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:15 am [Thread merged into here --admin LadyGeek]

Thanks again!
Congratulations on joining the two comma club :happy .
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
rob

Finally got 2020 taxes - Ibonds also

Post by rob »

[Thread merged into here --admin LadyGeek]

Thought I might be singing happy birthday to my 2020 return (like 2019)... but just got here in time for me to think about the 2021 return :shock: .

First time, I did the IBond thing to get $5K.... A DOZEN envelopes in the mail (a few days after the direct deposit of the couple of hundred buffer so made sure I got to 5K). Had me a little concerned as every one I opened had a $50 bond in it.... took to half way until the denomination increased and started to look like I might get my 5K back :) 6x$50, $200, $500 & rest in $1000.

GREAT to have paper bonds again after all these years.... been mid noughties for me since I had paper bonds.... sooo preeety (in a LOTR voice).
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

leo383 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:15 am The third comma is the hardest.
I'm not sure why that would be. From a compound return perspective, it takes the longest to earn the first million.
The Sensible Steward
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

TechieTechie wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:15 am I just want to say thank you to this board. With your guidance (and some good habits), I am now officially a 2 comma club member. This excludes the value of my primary residence, just investments and liquid accounts.
Congrats! :sharebeer
The Sensible Steward
David Jay

Re: Finally got 2020 taxes - Ibonds also

Post by David Jay »

whew! - glad you didn't have to sing.
It's not an engineering problem - Hersh Shefrin | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius