South Florida Local Chapter

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Miriam2

Re: South Florida Local Chapter

Post by Miriam2 »

Hello South Florida Bogleheads! 🌴 8-)

Today - Sat. April 10, 2021, at 1:00 pm ET - the Bogle Center Speaker Series is presenting a live interview with favorite author, Dr. Bill Bernstein, on markets, investing, and his new book, "The Delusions of Crowds: Why People Go Mad in Groups." The interview will be conducted by Bob Pisani, CNBC senior markets correspondent.

To register, go to the Bogle Center announcement thread HERE
Bogle Center wrote:
The John C. Bogle Center for Financial Literacy is excited to announce the next installment of the Bogleheads Speaker Series!

Saturday, April 10, 2021, 1 p.m. eastern time: Bill Bernstein in conversation with Bob Pisani (register)

Please register to see Dr. Bill Bernstein talk about the markets, investing, and his new book, The Delusions of Crowds: Why People Go Mad in Groups, with CNBC senior markets correspondent Bob Pisani. We’re thrilled to partner with Spark Network to use a new platform for this event. And we’re introducing a new feature—you’ll have the opportunity to connect for additional discussion in video rooms after the conversation.
dwickenh

Post by dwickenh »

Miriam2 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:59 pm
dwickenh wrote: I'm just curious if there is a link to a recording of this April 6th presentation?
Thanks,
Dan
The meeting was recorded and when the links are available, we'll let you know.
Meanwhile, Mike has already provided the slides he used in his presentation. The slides are in the Master Thread for the Starting Out Life Stage -
"Starting Out" Life Stage Master Thread
Thanks Miriam!!
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Our meeting on Tues April 6, 2021, with Mike Piper, "Getting Started with Investing" was an excellent meeting and we thank Mike for his presentation :happy

Of the many important lessons Mike pointed out, this one resonated with me: "There is no perfect portfolio. There are plenty of good-enough portfolios that will get you where you want to be and where you want to go. There is no best fund either. There are plenty of good, low cost funds, especially index funds, that will serve your purpose well."
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Meeting reminder from Chicago Virtual Bogleheads -

This Thursday 4/15/2021 at 8:00 pm ET the developer of financial tool cfiresim will demonstrate the product and participate in a Q & A session about it.

You can try out the product here https://www.cfiresim.com/

The zoom link is in the Blog Calendar of Upcoming Events here. in the 4/15 Chicago BH entry - note those times on the calendar are EASTERN - you can add it to your calendar (and it will correct for your time zone by clicking COPY TO MY CALENDAR) There is also a google calendar link that you can add to your calendar so all Boglehead events will appear on your calendar.

If you would like to attend the Zoom meeting, you can also contact HoosierJim via email at chicagovirtualbogleheads@gmail.com or Private Message him with your email, or email or PM me.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Our next South Florida local chapter meeting is with the Tampa Bogleheads on Tues. April 27, 2021, at 8:00 pm EDT

The Tampa chapter has invited Mark Zoril and his colleague Jason Lynch from PlanVision, a financial planning service using eMoney. PlanVision offers remote virtual financial planning.

They will discuss their investing philosophy and the following two topics, plus they have allowed ample time for general Q & A:
-- Considerations in structuring your investments before and after retirement
-- How technology will help people take more control over their finances

The meeting is not intended as an "infomercial" for their service, nor a "deep dive" into their business model and eMoney platform. However, if there is sufficient interest, Tampa will schedule a follow-up meeting with PlanVision for a more in-depth discussion of their services.

Targeted audience: General (for all Life Stages)

For the zoom link, email SFLBogleheads@gmail.com or send me a PM (private message), or email or PM Tampa Bogleheads at main@tampabaybogleheads.groups.io. In addition, the zoom link may be found in the Bogleheads Blog Calendar of Events. :happy
nikitash

Post by nikitash »

How could I be part of this local chapter. I am interested.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

nikitash wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:59 pm How could I be part of this local chapter. I am interested.
Hi nikitash - I sent you a PM (private message), please pick it up for information 8-)
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

For our next South Florida chapter meeting, we're going to hitch a ride with the Indiana Bogleheads chapter on Monday, May 3, 2021, at 7:00 pm ET

This is an exciting meeting featuring Paul Merriman, a well-known financial writer and delightful speaker with lots to talk about :D

Paul's topic is: "We're Talking Millions!" :moneybag He will have a 1-1/2 hour presentation followed by a 30 min open Q & A session.

Although Paul's presentation will focus on the age 20-40 demographic, those most involved in the accumulation phase of their investing journey, all Life Stages and ages will benefit from this presentation.

Presentation Outline:
  • Ultimate Buy and Hold Strategy
  • Simpler Strategy: 4 Funds for Life
  • Using these strategies with Vanguard, Charles Schwab, Fidelity, and T. Rowe Price.
  • Best in Class Funds
  • 2 Funds for life Strategy
  • Fine-tuning tables discussing strategies above using historical data from 1970-2020.
  • Basic overview of the importance of choosing your Distribution Strategy in retirement Fixed Income Strategy vs Variable Strategy.
Paul will discuss "value based" investing strategies (value fund investing) that he believes can potentially increase your wealth building power with some simple changes to your asset allocation. This meeting is co-hosted by The Merriman Financial Education Foundation.

Paul is also a Boglehead 8-) who has made numerous posts over the years explaining his investing philosophy and portfolios. He posts as paul merriman - To find his posts click HERE.

To find a more detailed Indiana meeting agenda, registration, and more about Paul Merriman click HERE.

Email me at SFLBogleheads@gmail.com, or PM me here for the Zoom link for this meeting. Also check the Bogleheads Blog Calendar of Events - the zoom link may be posted there. You can also use the Indiana/Merriman registration form to be added to the event and ask your Q to Paul.
Last edited by Miriam2 on Sat May 01, 2021 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nikitash

Post by nikitash »

Hello,

Thank you for the information.

I would Like to have a Zoom link please.
Miriam2

Re: South Florida Local Chapter- Next Meeting- Allan Roth 5/20/21 - 8:00 pm ET

Post by Miriam2 »

Our next South Florida local chapter meeting is on Thursday, May 20, 2021, at 8:00 pm ET

This will be an online presentation by Allan Roth hosted by the San Antonio Bogleheads Chapter.

This will be an enjoyable interactive meeting on Zoom with ample time for Q & A on all personal finance topics, beginners to serious investors. The San Antonio Chapter is also collecting Qs ahead of the meeting if you wish to submit Qs to their website - SanAntonioBogleheads@gmail.com

Life stage = everyone, every stage :happy

Allan is an MBA, CPA, CFP, and is extremely knowledgeable and a delightful presenter and Bogleheads favorite. He has been on the Panel of Experts at the Bogleheads Conferences for many years.

Here is some more information about Allan -
-- well-known author of "How a Second Grader Beats Wall Street"
-- financial website Wealth Logic/Dare to be Dull - www.DareToBeDull.com/overviewbio/
-- guest on Rick Ferri's "Bogleheads On Investing Podcast" - Episode 008
-- he grew up in South Florida - how cool is that! 8-)

To receive the zoom link for this presentation, email SFLBogleheads@gmail.com, or SanAntonioBogleheads@gmail.com, or send me a PM. Please also check the Bogleheads Blog Calendar of Events - zoom links are often posted on the calendar.

Hope everyone can join us for the meeting :happy
Last edited by Miriam2 on Sat May 15, 2021 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Taylor Larimore

Allan Roth

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Mariam2:

When Allan speaks--I listen. No one is better informed about successful investing.

Best wishes.
Taylor
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom: "The best advisors can help you develop a long-range investment strategy and an intelligent plan for its implementation."
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Re: Allan Roth

Post by abuss368 »

Taylor Larimore wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 10:11 am Mariam2:

When Allan speaks--I listen. No one is better informed about successful investing.

Best wishes.
Taylor
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom: "The best advisors can help you develop a long-range investment strategy and an intelligent plan for its implementation."
Hi Taylor -

I would agree Alan is very informative and knowledgeable. He brings a unique perspective from being both a CPA and CFP.

Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Miriam2

Re: South Florida Chapter- BH Speaker Series- Ron Lieber 6/5/21-1:00 pm ET

Post by Miriam2 »

The next Bogleheads Speaker Series presentation will be very interesting for anyone college bound or in-college-debt.

Saturday, June 5, 2021, 1:00 pm ET - Ron Lieber speaking with Rick Ferri on "The Price You Pay for College"

Click HERE to register for the presentation.
Bogle Center wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 12:26 pm The John C. Bogle Center for Financial Literacy is pleased to present the next event in the Bogleheads Speaker Series!

Saturday, June 5, 2021, 1 p.m. eastern time: Bogleheads Speaker Series: Ron Lieber speaking with Rick Ferri on preparing for college

New York Times financial columnist and author Ron Lieber’s new book, The Price You Pay for College, provides a roadmap to help families navigate the often difficult and confusing journey of preparing for college. In this discussion with Rick Ferri, Ron will touch on the most important college-planning topics, from choosing the right school to figuring out the right ways to save, borrow, and bargain for a better deal.

Please note that the first and last name entered during registration will be displayed for those who participate in the live chat during the event. Feel free to use an alias if you aren’t comfortable with having your name displayed in the chat.

The Bogleheads Speaker Series is provided free of charge. Please consider a tax-deductible contribution to the Bogle Center to help offset our costs and continue with this and other educational programs. The event will be recorded and posted to the Bogle Center’s website.

The Bogle Center Board
www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=349944
Miriam2

Re: South Florida Chapter- "Retired" Life Stage Discussion- Tues 6/8/21- 8:00 pm ET

Post by Miriam2 »

Our next zoom meeting is with the new "Retired" Life Stage Virtual Chapter on Tues June 8, 2021, at 8:00 pm ET

This will be the first meeting of the "Retired" Life Stage Virtual Chapter and the topic will be - "I'm From the Retirement Class of "____" and These Are Some Lessons I've Learned" ... with open Q&A to follow. This promises to be a very interesting and enjoyable meeting for everyone, including those nowhere near retirement - always good to know what to expect down the road 8-)

The new "Retired" Life Stage Virtual Chapter is one of the four "Life Stage" Virtual Chapters that focus on key issues for each phase of the investing life cycle. The Mission of the Retired Life Stage is to share perspectives and resources focusing on topics relevant for near or current retirees.

Here's a sample of some Qs already submitted, plus the moderator will take Qs "live" from participants.
-- With so many retirement drawdown strategies, how should we decide which is best for us?
-- Techniques or tools other use to do tax planning
-- How do we begin to discuss (or not) our finances with our children?
-- What percent of stocks and bonds do you hold as you grow older in retirement?
-- Advice about working with an elder law attorney to establish a trust, especially for a solo concerned about the possibility of cognitive decline
-- What's ONE thing you wish you knew before retiring?
-- Do you involve your CPA and/or financial advisor when you draft/review/finalize your estate planning documents in regards to tax strategies? If you do involve them, how much do you share with your CPA or FA?
-- How to handle health insurance if retired before age 65 (when Medicare begins)
-- What surprises have you encountered in retirement that you could have been better prepared for?
To ensure that everybody is comfortable asking and answering Qs, the meeting will not be recorded. However, for a more social interaction, participants are encouraged to be "on-camera," again, that's optional.

You can RSVP for the meeting & submit Qs HERE. All responses are anonymous.

The Zoom link is posted on the BH Blog Calendar of Events- https://www.bogleheads.org/blog/calendar-of-events/
You can also email me at SFLBogleheads@gmail.com or PM me here for the zoom link.

For those who find Zoom difficult, remember all you need to do (if you're using a desktop or laptop) is click on the zoom link https://... - forget about the phone one-tap mobile or dial by location stuff :wink:
Miriam2

Re: South Florida Chapter- Minn. meeting w/ Allan Roth & Mel Lindauer- Sat 6/12/21- 12 noon ET

Post by Miriam2 »

The Minnesota Bogleheads are hosting Allan Roth & Mel Lindauer for a presentation and Q & A meeting on Sat 6/12/21- 12 noon ET.

The Minnesota Bogleheads have great meetings; in fact, two Minnesota BHs, Peter Foley and the meeting host, Jeff MC, wrote several chapters in the "Bogleheads' Guide to Retirement Planning."

For the Zoom link, email SFLBogleheads@gmail.com or send me a PM.

Enjoy!
Miriam
Miriam2

Re: South Florida Chapter- Next Meeting- PlanVision- Tue 6/22/2021- 8:00 pm ET

Post by Miriam2 »

Our next zoom meeting is with the Tampa Bay Bogleheads on Tues June 22, 2021, at 8:00 pm ET.

We will host guests Mark Zoril and Jason Lynch from PlanVision, a financial planning service using eMoney. PlanVision offers remote virtual financial planning at a reasonable cost. Mark and Jason will demo the PlanVision service and eMoney platform with an in-depth discussion of their services. Please click here to find more information about PlanVision and this upcoming meeting.

This is a follow-up meeting requested by the BH poll following Mark and Jason's first presentation on general investing topics on April 27, 2021. Please click here for the recording of that first meeting.

Targeted Life Stage audience: General (for all "Life Stages")

Email me for the zoom link at SFLBogleheads@gmail.com or PM me here on the forum. The Zoom link will be posted on the Bogleheads Calendar of Events the week before the meeting :happy

You can find the virtual online chapter presentation recordings HERE. I think we're getting pretty good at this! :D
Miriam2

Re: South Florida Chapter- Pre-Retirement Life Stage meeting- Wed 6/30/21- 8:00pmET

Post by Miriam2 »

Hi South Florida!

The new "Pre-Retirement/Early Retirement" Virtual Chapter of the new Bogleheads Life Stage Series is up and running 8-)

The opening meeting is on Wed June 30, 2021, at 8:00 pm ET hosted by the Dallas/Fort Worth Bogleheads.

This initial Zoom meeting will be a nice "get to know each other" discussion and open Q&A on how you are preparing for your upcoming retirement - or how you did prepare - or tried to prepare - and what worked and what didn't :mrgreen: All Bogleheads are welcome to share their experiences. And for those who are still years away from retirement - there will be useful ideas to keep on your backburner as the R-time approaches!

The meeting will not be recorded.

Please RSVP for the meeting and submit questions HERE. All responses are anonymous.

The Zoom link is posted on the BH Calendar of Events - click "zoom link" :wink: or you can email me at SFLBogleheads@gmail.com or PM me here.
Sandi_k

Post by Sandi_k »

Miriam2 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:17 am Hello South Florida Bogleheads! 🌴 8-)

Our next zoom meeting is with the Tampa Bay Bogleheads on Tues June 22, 2021, at 8:00 pm ET.

We will host guests Mark Zoril and Jason Lynch from PlanVision, a financial planning service using eMoney. PlanVision offers remote virtual financial planning at a reasonable cost. Mark and Jason will demo the PlanVision service and eMoney platform with an in-depth discussion of their services.

You can find the virtual online chapter presentation recordings HERE. I think we're getting pretty good at this! :D
Miriam, will you please post when the June 22 recording is up? I appreciate your work and willingness to open up the meeting to others - it was very well done!
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: South Florida Chapter- Minn. meeting w/ Allan Roth & Mel Lindauer- Sat 6/12/21- 12 noon ET

Post by LadyGeek »

Miriam2 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:56 pm The Minnesota Bogleheads are hosting Allan Roth & Mel Lindauer for a presentation and Q & A meeting on Sat 6/12/21- 12 noon ET.

The Minnesota Bogleheads have great meetings; in fact, two Minnesota BHs, Peter Foley and the meeting host, Jeff MC, wrote several chapters in the "Bogleheads' Guide to Retirement Planning."

For the Zoom link, email SFLBogleheads@gmail.com or send me a PM.

Enjoy!
Miriam
The meeting video is now available in the Bogleheads blog: Virtual online chapter presentations

It was available earlier, but the first video had a few typos. This is a new link with the corrections.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Sandi_k

Post by Sandi_k »

Thanks so much, @LadyGeek - when I go to that page, a June 12 presentation is the latest posted, and the scroll down menu for the archive tops out at May 2021....
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I'm not sure what you mean. There are 11 entries in the table, the first 10 are shown. Hit "Next >" at the bottom of the table to see the last entry.

You can tap/click on the column headings to sort by that heading. It looks OK on my desktop and cellphone.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Sandi_k

Post by Sandi_k »

LadyGeek wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:16 pm I'm not sure what you mean. There are 11 entries in the table, the first 10 are shown. Hit "Next >" at the bottom of the table to see the last entry.

You can tap/click on the column headings to sort by that heading. It looks OK on my desktop and cellphone.
Yes, there are 11 entries. The latest posted is from June 12. The June 22nd episode with Mark Zoril is not on the list.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Sandi_k wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:26 pm
LadyGeek wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:16 pm I'm not sure what you mean. There are 11 entries in the table, the first 10 are shown. Hit "Next >" at the bottom of the table to see the last entry.
Yes, there are 11 entries. The latest posted is from June 12. The June 22nd episode with Mark Zoril is not on the list.
My understanding from Tampa is that the video is "done," but it's being edited and approved before being posted on the BH Blog.
Sandi_k

Post by Sandi_k »

Thanks, @Miriam2 - much appreciated.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Miriam2 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:17 am Hello South Florida Bogleheads! 🌴 8-)

We will host guests Mark Zoril and Jason Lynch from PlanVision, a financial planning service using eMoney. PlanVision offers remote virtual financial planning at a reasonable cost. Mark and Jason will demo the PlanVision service and eMoney platform with an in-depth discussion of their services. Please click here to find more information about PlanVision and this upcoming meeting.

This is a follow-up meeting requested by the BH poll following Mark and Jason's first presentation on general investing topics on April 27, 2021. Please click here for the recording of that first meeting.

Targeted Life Stage audience: General (for all "Life Stages")

Email me for the zoom link at SFLBogleheads@gmail.com or PM me here on the forum. The Zoom link will be posted on the Bogleheads Calendar of Events the week before the meeting :happy

The video is now available on the blog: Virtual online chapter presentations
Miriam2

Re: South Florida Chapter- "Lifestyles of the Rich and Frugal"- Sat 7/10/2021- 10:30 am PT

Post by Miriam2 »

The Sacramento Bogleheads are presenting "The Lifestyles of the Rich and Frugal" 8-) on Sat 7/10/2021, 10:30 am Pacific Time (1:30 pm ET)

This is a discussion of the myriad ways we can build and preserve wealth by living beneath one's means - important for everyone trying to build good financial habits. This meeting is open to all Bogleheads.

To register to join the zoom meeting, send an email to - Sacramento.Bogleheads@gmail.com
Here is the Sacramento BH post for their meeting :happy
Miriam2

Re: South Florida Chapter- Presentation by The FI Tax Guy- Thu 7/29/21- 8:00 pm ET

Post by Miriam2 »

The Pre-Retirement/Early Retirement Life Stage Virtual Chapter is hosting Sean Mullaney, the FI (Financial Independence) Tax Guy, with a zoom presentation on tax planning on Thur. July 29, 2021, at 8:00 pm ET

Although the presentation is geared toward the pre-retirement/early retirement life stage, all Bogleheads are invited to participate.

Sean Mullaney is a financial planner, CPA, and the President of Mullaney Financial & Tax, Inc., and a very knowledgeable and interesting speaker. Sean's website is www.fitaxguy.com :
"What is FI (Financial Independence)? Well, FI is not about “getting rich.” FI is getting control of your money and finances so that your life can revolve around far more important priorities."
Sean's presentation will be followed by a Q&A session. The presentation will be recorded, but the Q&A following the presentation will not be recorded. You may submit your Qs ahead of time with the RSVP below, or ask them in person or type them into the chat window during the meeting.

Note - you do not need to RSVP to attend the meeting. However, use this RSVP to submit questions if you want - https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... sp=sf_link - All RSVP responses are anonymous.

The Zoom link is now posted on the BH Calendar of Events - click the blue "Zoom Link" inthe event post. If you miss the link, you know who to call :D

Thanks to the "Pre-Retirement/Early Retirement" Chapter Coordinators, HoosierJim and DFWBogleheads, for this program :happy
Last edited by Miriam2 on Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
future

Post by future »

A close friend recently lost their job with megacorp in South Florida (employer & employee located locally). Would really appreciate any referrals to local employment attorneys.

We have been active on the forum, using spouse's account

keywords: discrimination, harassment, age, gender, race
Miriam2

Re: South Florida Chapter- Next Meeting- FiveK on Prioritizing Investments- 8/10/21- 8:00 pm ET

Post by Miriam2 »

Our next local chapter meeting will be on Tues. August 10, 2021, at 8:00 pm ET. We will join the Starting Out Life Stage chapter in hosting a zoom presentation by Boglehead FiveK on "Funding Priority - Prioritizing Investments, Investment Location, & Tax Implications" - what investments to place where and when and why.

Investors who are able to place their investments in different kinds of accounts, such as taxable accounts, 401(k)'s or IRA's, need to decide which ones to prioritize. Investing in a prioritized order will maximize the tax efficiency of your portfolio. This meeting is suitable for all Life Stages.

FiveK is one of the Bogleheads who are currently revising the Bogleheads Wiki section on "Prioritizing Investments", and he also gave a Virtual Presentation on his Personal Financial ToolBox spreadsheets last March.

The presentation will be recorded, but the Q & A discussion following the presentation will not be recorded.

The Zoom link is now posted on the BH Calendar of Events - or you can email me at SFLBogleheads@gmail.com or PM me here. :happy

Hope everyone can join us for the meeting!
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Reminder that our presentation with FiveK on Prioritizing Investments is tomorrow, Tues Aug 10, 2021, at 8:00 pm ET.

The Zoom link is on the Bogleheads Blog Calendar of Events.

Please check to make sure you're using the current version of Zoom - you will have "a more enjoyable Zoom experience" :mrgreen: (Zoom's words).
Here's the link to the Zoom How-To Check for Updates.
Miriam2

Re: South Florida Local Chapter- Two upcoming BH meetings Sat 8/14/2021

Post by Miriam2 »

Here are two interesting upcoming zoom meetings this Saturday -

Sacramento Bogleheads - Sat, Aug. 14, 2021 - 1:30 pm - 3:30 pm Eastern Time - (10:30 am Pacific Time)
Topic - Socially Responsible Investing - Environmental, Social, Governance (ESG)
Presenter: Kevin Dillon
Presentation will be followed by discussion and Q&A

For the Zoom link - send an email to: sacramento.bogleheads@gmail.com
Please include your - Name or Bogleheads forum username, Email address (to be sent the Zoom link), City

For more information about this meeting, check the Sacramento BH website: https://sacramentoareabogleheads.org/ or the Sacramento BH Master Thread on the forum

Tampa Bay Bogleheads - Sat, Aug. 14, 2021 - 3:00 pm – 5:00 pm Eastern Time
This is an informal Q&A session discussing whatever personal finance is on your mind. Bogleheads from elsewhere are welcome to attend. The meeting will NOT be recorded.

For the Zoom link - go to the Zoom link posted on the BH Blog Calendar of Events
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Many thanks to FiveK for his helpful presentation on Prioritizing Investments :D

Here are some links mentioned during the meeting: Bogleheads Wiki on "Prioritizing Investments" and his March 31, 2021, Virtual Presentation on his Personal Financial ToolBox Spreadsheet

The recording of FiveK's presentation will be available on the BH Blog HERE - please note the Slides and Chat are already posted.

:arrow: Check out the new Bogleheads YouTube Channel which already has 50+ Bogleheads videos, and over 1000 subscribers!
Miriam2

Re: South Florida Chapter- Christine Benz presentation- Wed 8/25/2021- 8:00 pm ET

Post by Miriam2 »

The Pre-Retirement Life Stage Chapter is excited to host Christine Benz for their zoom presentation on Wed. Aug. 25, 2021, at 8:00 pm ET.

Christine is the Director of Personal Finance and Senior Columnist at Morningstar. She is a Bogleheads favorite, coming to our BH Conferences, spending hours meeting & chatting with everyone, and participating on the Panel of Experts :happy We have all benefited from her many wonderful interviews of Mr. Bogle, and her excellent articles, books and podcasts.

Meeting topic - "Six Retirement Blind Spots and How to Fix Them"
Even the best-laid retirement plans can harbor hidden risks, including longevity risk, sequence-of-return risk, and underspending. Morningstar's Christine Benz will outline how to safeguard your portfolio and your plan against these risk factors. She will also share her favorite in-retirement mutual funds and exchange-traded funds (ETFs), and discuss her model bucket portfolios geared toward retirees.

Investors in all Life Stages of investing will enjoy this meeting - never too early to know what lies ahead preparing for retirement 8-)

Here is more information about Christine -
-- with Morningstar since 1993, and "has made educating the average investor the central goal of her 28-year career in finance."
-- guest on Rick Ferri's "Bogleheads On Investing Podcast" Episode #004 (Dec. 2018)
-- In March 2020, Christine was named to Barron's Inaugural List of the 100 Most Influential Women in U.S. Finance, and made
the List again in 2021 :D
Barron's wrote:Amid the pandemic, Christine Benz has adapted to a mostly online world and forged ahead with her calling: making complex investment topics clear and accessible. . . . She gives sound, practical advice, not just because she's a great analyst, but because she is willing to put herself in her readers' shoes.
You can submit your Qs ahead of time with the RSVP HERE - or type them into the chat window during the Q&A session following the presentation. Although RSVPs are encouraged, it's not necessary to RSVP to come to the meeting. All responses are anonymous.

The presentation portion of the meeting will be recorded. The Q&A following the presentation will not be recorded.

Zoom link - also posted on the BH Blog Calendar of Events.

Hope everyone can join the Pre-Retirement chapter for this meeting 8-)
Last edited by Miriam2 on Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Taylor Larimore

Mariam:

Christine and I have been friends for many years. I can't imagine anyone (except Mr. Bogle) who knows more about personal finance than Christine Benz. She is also a director of the Boglehead Center for Financial Literacy.

It will be a splendid meeting.

Taylor
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom: “Learn every day, but especially from the experience of others. It’s cheaper.”
Miriam2

Re: South Florida Local Chapter- Christine Benz- Wed 8/25/21

Post by Miriam2 »

:happy Reminder for the Christine Benz presentation tonight - Wed. Aug. 25, 2021, at 8:00 pm ET.
Taylor Larimore wrote: Christine and I have been friends for many years. I can't imagine anyone (except Mr. Bogle) who knows more about personal finance than Christine Benz. She is also a director of the Boglehead Center for Financial Literacy.

It will be a splendid meeting.

Taylor
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom: “Learn every day, but especially from the experience of others. It’s cheaper.”
Indeed, it will be a splendid meeting! And thank you for your words of wisdom from Jack Bogle :happy
Miriam2

Re: South Florida Chapter- THE MAD FIENTIST- Mon 8/30/21- 8:00 pm ET

Post by Miriam2 »

Hello South Florida Bogleheads :D

The "Starting Out" Life Stage Chapter will host THE MAD FIENTIST on Mon. Aug. 30, 2021, at 8:00 pm ET. 8-)

*** pronounced fi-entist, like scientist, but a Fientist: "One who studies Financial Independence."

Please join us for what is sure to be a very interesting discussion with THE MAD FIENTIST on achieving the dream of Financial Independence, the highs and lows of Financial Independence, how to achieve a balanced life, budgeting and spreadsheets, withdrawal and rebalancing strategies, and much more!

This meeting is appropriate for all Life Stages and all Bogleheads are invited to join the meeting.

You can submit your Qs ahead of time with the RSVP HERE - or type them into the zoom chat window during the Q&A session. Although RSVPs are encouraged, it's not necessary to RSVP to come to the meeting. All responses are anonymous.

The presentation portion of the meeting will be recorded. The Q&A following the presentation will not be recorded.

Here is the Zoom link - it's also posted on the BH Blog Calendar of Events.

Hope everyone can join the meeting! We'll ask him about "The Guinea Pig Experiment." :D
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

LadyGeek wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:48 pm The Zoom meeting is now on YouTube: Bogleheads® Chapter Series – Mad Fientist Discusses Financial Independence
Thank you LadyGeek for posting this!

The recording and chat are also found in the Virtual Online Chapter Presentations on the BH Blog, along with the other recorded BH meetings.

We truly enjoyed hosting The Mad Fientist and learning about his path to financial independence and early retirement. He observed this achievement was not "the golden ticket to happiness" he anticipated, then discussed how he changed that around and what he learned from this. He also found his "innate scarcity mindset" makes it difficult for him to spend his money. Above all, a very interesting meeting with a very engaging person - who essentially invests in Taylor's Three Fund portfolio :happy

Thank you Gouri and Mad Fientist for this wonderful interview. We had 108 participants and we're looking forward to Mad Fientist's new spreadsheet 8-)
Miriam2

Re: South Florida Chapter- "Holistic Wealth Planning"- Sat. Sept 18, 2021- 1:30-3:30 pm ET

Post by Miriam2 »

Hi South Florida Bogleheads! 8-)

The Sacramento Bogleheads are featuring two representatives from Vanguard for a discussion on "Holistic Wealth Planning."

The zoom meeting is this coming Sat. Sept 18, 2021, 1:30-3:30 pm Eastern Time (10:30 am Pacific Time) and is open to all Bogleheads.
digarei wrote: Paul White + Heather Winslow-Walker - splash ad 800x450

This presentation will be followed by a guided discussion with time for your questions on this topic.

To RSVP and receive the zoom link, send an email to the Sacramento Chapter :happy
Miriam2

Re: South Florida Chapter- Wade Pfau Presentation- Tue 9/21/2021- 8:00 pm ET

Post by Miriam2 »

Hello South Florida Bogleheads! 8-)

The "Retired" Life Stage Virtual Chapter is holding their next zoom meeting on Tues Sept 21, 2021, at 8:00 pm ET.

Their featured guest is Wade Pfau, PhD., Professor of Retirement Income and Co-Director of the Retirement Income Center at The American College of Financial Services. Wade also serves as a Principal and Director for McLean Asset Management, helping to build retirement income solutions for clients, and is co-editor of the Journal of Personal Finance. He has published three books and numerous articles about retirement income planning and holds a doctorate in economics from Princeton University.

Wade is also a Bogleheads favorite at our Bogleheads Conferences, spending hours meeting & chatting with everyone and participating on the Panel of Experts. And yes, you can find him in our Bogleheads Wiki!

Although targeted for retirees, all Bogleheads are welcome and encouraged to join and learn :D

There will be plenty of time during the meeting for Q&A and they are not taking pre-submitted Qs. Although RSVP's are encouraged, it's not necessary to RSVP to come to the meeting. All responses are anonymous.

The Zoom link is HERE and is also posted on the BH Blog Calendar of Events.
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

Here's an update on topics for tomorrow's Retired Life Stage meeting...

Wade Pfau, Ph.D., CFA, will be presenting two topics at tomorrow's Zoom meeting (8 PM *Eastern*)...
  • How can Retirement Income Style (RISA) be a useful tool for Bogleheads?
  • Tax Planning for Efficient Retirement Distributions
We'll take some questions after each segment, but due to time constraints, will not be able to address them all.

The Zoom link can be found on the BH Calendar of Events

If you plan to attend, please RSVP here, so we'll have a better idea of head count.
Retired 2018 | currently ~64/33/3 (partially sliced and diced, with a slowly rising equity glide path)
Miriam2

Re: South Fla Chapter- Christine Benz on Investing Wisely- Tue Oct 5, 2021- 8:00 pm ET

Post by Miriam2 »

Hello South Florida Bogleheads :D

Please join us for our next meeting on Tues. Oct 5, 2021, at 8:00 pm ET. featuring Christine Benz, the Director of Personal Finance at Morningstar, on "Investing (and Planning) Wisely at Every Life Stage."

This zoom presentation is hosted by the Mid-Career Accumulator Life Stage and the Starting Out Life Stage chapters.

The meeting topics will cover mid-career accumulators and those just starting out in investing & asset allocation, newly marrieds, growing families, staying out of debt & lifestyle creep, teaching our kids about money, insurance & estate planning, and helping our aging parents. She will explain that while these years of our lives can be complicated, our financial and investment life shouldn't be.

Investors in all Life Stages of investing will enjoy this meeting! 8-)

Christine is a Bogleheads favorite and participates on the Panel of Experts at our Bogleheads Conferences. We have all benefited from her many wonderful interviews of Mr. Bogle, and her excellent articles, books and podcasts.

In March 2020, Christine was named to Barron's Inaugural List of the 100 Most Influential Women in U.S. Finance, and made the List again in 2021 :D

You can submit your Qs ahead of time with the RSVP HERE - or type them into the chat during the Q&A session. Although RSVPs are encouraged, it's not necessary to RSVP to come to the meeting. All responses are anonymous.

The Zoom link is now posted on the BH Blog Calendar of Events.
Miriam2

Re: South Florida Chapter- Christine Benz presentation

Post by Miriam2 »

Reminder for the next meeting on Tues. Oct 5, 2021, at 8:00 pm ET. featuring Christine Benz, the Director of Personal Finance at Morningstar, who will give a presentation and answer your questions on "Investing (and Planning) Wisely at Every Life Stage."

You can submit your Qs ahead of time with the RSVP HERE - or type them into the chat during the Q&A session. Although RSVPs are encouraged, it's not necessary to RSVP to come to the meeting. All responses are anonymous.

Here is the Zoom link - and it's also posted on the BH Blog Calendar of Events.

Hope you can join us!
Taylor Larimore

Mariam2:

Looking forward to it.

Taylor
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The online chat from last night's meeting is now available in the blog: Virtual online chapter presentations All personally identifiable information has been removed.

Allow a week for the YouTube video to be published.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Sooner than expected, the latest Bogleheads chapter series video is now on YouTube.

See: Bogleheads® Chapter Series – Christine Benz on Investing and Planning Wisely at Every Life Stage

A concise summary of the chapters' meeting content is available in the blog: Virtual online chapter presentations
Miriam2

Re: SoFla Chapter- Pre-Retirement Health Care Planning- Wed Oct 13, 2021- 8:00 pm ET

Post by Miriam2 »

Hello South Florida Bogleheads 8-)

This coming Wednesday, October 13, 2021, at 8:00 pm ET, the Pre-Retirement/Early Retirement Life Stage Virtual Chapter is having a presentation on "Pre-Retirement/Early Retirement health care planning with a 2021 update."

This program was originally made by the Chicago Virtual Bogleheads in Feb. 2021, and this new presentation will incorporate the new changes to the ACA subsidy rules in the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021, which was passed in March 2021.

If you are wondering about your health care options and missed the February meeting, or want to learn how the recent law affects healthcare, this meeting will be useful. This topic will also appeal to people nearing retirement and before Medicare (age 65), and to those contemplating leaving their corporate jobs to become self-employed. And all Bogleheads are invited - always something to learn!

You may submit your Qs ahead of time with this RSVP link, or ask them in person or type them into the chat window during the meeting. You do not need to RSVP to attend the meeting. All RSVP responses are anonymous.

Here is the Zoom link - and it's also posted on the BH Calendar of Events - click the blue "Zoom Link" in the event post.

Thanks to the "Pre-Retirement/Early Retirement" Chapter Coordinators for this program :happy
Miriam2

Re: South Florida & Tampa BH meeting- Tues Oct 26, 2021- 8:00 pm ET

Post by Miriam2 »

Hello South Florida Bogleheads & Snowbirds and Honorary South Florida Bogleheads! 🌴 8-)

The Tampa local chapter has invited us to join them for a casual zoom meeting next Tues Oct 26, 2021, at 8:00 pm ET. The meeting will not be recorded.

The meeting will be an informal Q & A on anything & everything on your mind about personal finance, including year-end tax planning considerations! As always, if anyone would like to give a presentation on a topic, just raise your hand and let us know :D

The Zoom link is HERE and is also posted on the BH Calendar of Events. Hope everyone can join us!

Also, please subscribe to the BH Virtual Chapter Events (scroll down the calendar to the Subscription Series) so you receive email notice of meetings held by all the BH local chapters, including their zoom links. The notices and zoom links will continue to be posted on the Calendar and of course, I will post them here on our South Florida thread 8-)

Let me know if you have any Q's!
Miriam
Miriam2

Re: South Fla Chapter- Bill Bernstein on "The Delusion of Crowds"- Sat Nov 13, 2021- 1:30 pm ET

Post by Miriam2 »

Hello South Florida Bogleheads & Snowbirds and Honorary South Florida Bogleheads! 🌴 8-)

The Sacramento Bogleheads chapter is hosting a presentation by Dr. Bill Bernstein on his newest book, "The Delusion of Crowds," on Sat Nov 13, 2021, at 1:30 pm ET. There will also be ample time for Q&A on any personal finance topic you may have.

1:30 pm Eastern
12:30 pm Central
11:30 am Mountain
10:30 am Pacific
Bill Bernstein Coming Soon 800x450

Bill Bernstein is a Bogleheads favorite, having been on the Panel of Experts at numerous Bogleheads Conferences, where he also hosted the Fireside Chat interview of Jack Bogle every year. Dr. Bernstein is the author of numerous finance books, including "The Intelligent Asset Allocator," The Investor's Manifesto," "The Ages of the Investor," and the powerful little book, "If You Can: How Millennials Can Get Rich Slowly."

To attend this meeting, send an email to - sacramento.bogleheads@gmail.com

Please include your name & last initial, Bogleheads forum username (optional), email address, and city. You will be sent the link for this Zoom event. Please note your information will remain confidential; it is used to send you the Zoom link and to give you access to the Sacramento recordings of their presentations.

For further information, please go to the Sacramento Bogleheads website: https://sacramentoareabogleheads.org/

The meeting is limited to 100 persons, so sign up ASAP! :D
Miriam2

Re: Retirement & Pre-Retirement Meeting- "Successful Retirement"- Wed Nov 10, 2021- 8:00 pm ET

Post by Miriam2 »

The BH Life Stage Virtual Chapters are hosting a zoom meeting on Wednesday, November 10, 2021, at 8:00 pm ET.

The Pre-Retirement Life Stage and the Retirement Life Stage Chapters are presenting guest speaker Jill Steinberg on "Successful Retirement: From Retiring to Rewiring." The presentation topic is about making your retirement experience successful and purposeful. Rather than dwelling on finances, this is a discussion on how to prepare yourself for a happy and fulfilling retirement. There will be ample time for Q & A following the presentation.

All Bogleheads are welcome - retirement will be here before you know it :mrgreen: You can RSVP for the meeting and submit questions HERE. All responses are anonymous, reservations are not required.

Here is the Zoom link - and it's also now posted on the Bogleheads Calendar of Events.

Thanks to the Life Stages chapter coordinators for this meeting!
Last edited by Miriam2 on Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Miriam2

Re: SoFla Chapter- BH Events Subscriptions, Calendar, Recordings & YouTube!

Post by Miriam2 »

Hi South Florida Bogleheads! 🌴 8-)

Subscribe to BH Virtual Chapter Events and you can attend BH zoom meetings anywhere - Sacramento, Chicago, New York, Dallas, Indianapolis, San Francisco, Tampa, San Antonio, Minneapolis, San Jose, and of course South Florida - all without leaving your beach chair & mojitos :beer Go to the BH Blog Calendar of Events and scroll down to Subscribe to the list. You will receive an email about each BH chapter meeting, along with the zoom link.

For ALL upcoming Bogleheads meetings and presentations & zoom links - see the Bogleheads Blog Calendar of Events - https://www.bogleheads.org/blog/calendar-of-events/

To access recordings & videos of BH online presentations, go to the Virtual Online Chapter Presentations on the BH Blog -
https://www.bogleheads.org/blog/portfol ... entations/

:arrow: Check out the new Bogleheads YouTube Channel which already has 50+ Bogleheads videos, including videos of Jack Bogle at our BH Conferences!