Master Thread for Metro Boston's Chapter

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
othrif

Re: Master Thread for Metro Boston's Chapter

Post by othrif »

Hi there,

I just finished reading the bogleheads' guide to investing and decided to get more informed and connect to the local Boston chapter.

Hope to be added to the list.

Cheers,

Othmane
Topic Author
siamond

Post by siamond »

Folks who requested to be added to our Metro-Boston chapter list, please check your private messages (upper right part of the board's display)... :wink:

If you don't find anything from me, then please send me a short message.
Boston_Eagle

Post by Boston_Eagle »

Hello,

Can I please be added to the Metro Boston chapter list? I look forward to attending the meeting on December 12th. Thank you!
Topic Author
siamond

Post by siamond »

siamond wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:59 pm Onto the next one, which is scheduled for Dec 12th, starting around 1pm. Mark your calendars!
We're proceeding, with another online meeting. I just sent an e-mail with a detailed agenda to all Metro-Boston folks who are on my list. If you didn't receive it, please contact me by private message.
miasma

Post by miasma »

Hello, would love to be added to the list.
Topic Author
siamond

Post by siamond »

And... we had one more virtual meeting today. Well, I hope we'll succeed to meet in person at some point in 2021...

In the mean time, our next meeting will be virtual again, and it will be on Saturday March 13th 2021, starting 10am.
Topic Author
siamond

Post by siamond »

If some Metro-Boston folks are interested by the presentation below, I will share the Zoom specifics later today via e-mail. If you are not yet on my distribution list and would like to join the Metro-Boston chapter, please contact me via private message.
HoosierJim wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:33 am The Chicago group is having our next monthly meeting on Wednesday, February 3rd at 8 pm CENTRAL time. The presentation will be on Health Care Options Planning Preretirement to Medicare.

The presentation should appeal to people nearing retirement and before Medicare (age 65) - would also appeal to people contemplating leaving their corporate jobs to become self employed.

Virtual meetings allow us to invite other Boglehead chapters and have a big benefit with a narrow topic that appeals to a certain population of Bogleheads. Efforts are in the works to create "Stages of Life" virtual presentations and erase geographical boundaries and supplement in-person local chapters.

We are inviting all Boglehead local chapter members that are interested in this "Stage of Life" to attend - just join your local chapter or if one isn't available send me a PM and I will add you to the Chicago email distribution. You can find the local chapters here.
MAandMEMom

Post by MAandMEMom »

I would appreciate being added to your list.
ampbos

Post by ampbos »

I'd like to attend Feb 28th. Any chance you could accomodate one more?
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

The members of the Chicago Virtual Bogleheads would like to thank you again for the excellent presentation for our January meeting on Estimated Tax Estimates and Safe Harbor.

You and all local chapter Bogleheads are invited to our February 3rd at 9 pm EASTERN virtual presentation on planning healthcare costs preretirement to Medicare.
haranoth

Post by haranoth »

HoosierJim wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:53 am You and all local chapter Bogleheads are invited to our February 3rd at 9 pm EASTERN virtual presentation on planning healthcare costs preretirement to Medicare.
Will the links for the presentation be posted here? or will an email be sent out with all the links?
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

haranoth wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:36 pm Will the links for the presentation be posted here? or will an email be sent out with all the links?
Send me a PM with your email and I will send it out.
Topic Author
siamond

Post by siamond »

Jim kindly agreed to do a reprisal of his Health Care presentation (see below) for our next Metro-Boston online meeting, scheduled March 13th, 10am EST. I'll send the Zoom details ahead of time by e-mail, as usual.
HoosierJim wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:33 am The presentation will be on Health Care Options Planning Preretirement to Medicare.

The presentation should appeal to people nearing retirement and before Medicare (age 65) - would also appeal to people contemplating leaving their corporate jobs to become self employed.
Topic Author
siamond

Post by siamond »

Bump. Meeting this Saturday, as planned (see above). Zoom specifics were shared by e-mail.
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

Looking forward to the meeting tomorrow on health care planning - preretirement to Medicare.

We will even cover topics just signed into law yesterday.
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

Looking forward to the meeting tomorrow on health care planning - preretirement to Medicare.

We will even cover topics just signed into law yesterday.
Topic Author
siamond

Post by siamond »

Metro-Boston folks, as a reminder, multiple online meetings from various chapters are open to participants from other chapters.

Do check the corresponding calendar of events.
Topic Author
siamond

Post by siamond »

Metro-Boston chapter, our next (online) meeting will be on Saturday June 19th, starting at 10am, till noon-ish. Agenda TBD.

Please mark your calendar!
LongTermHorizon

Post by LongTermHorizon »

Looking forward to joining the next meeting! Really appreciate it! Thanks!
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

Looking forward to your next meeting.
Topic Author
siamond

Post by siamond »

siamond wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:47 pm Metro-Boston chapter, our next (online) meeting will be on Saturday June 19th, starting at 10am, till noon-ish. Agenda TBD.
Sorry, folks, this meeting is canceled. More details in the e-mail I just sent. See you at some point in the fall, hopefully in person.
danzaman

Post by danzaman »

siamond wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:37 pm
siamond wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:47 pm Metro-Boston chapter, our next (online) meeting will be on Saturday June 19th, starting at 10am, till noon-ish. Agenda TBD.
Sorry, folks, this meeting is canceled. More details in the e-mail I just sent. See you at some point in the fall, hopefully in person.
Can I please be added to the metro boston chapter email distribution you have going? I'd love to attend in person or virtually in the Fall!
snoopduck

Post by snoopduck »

Hi Siamond,

Please add me to the mailing list! Thanks
ivyhedge

Post by ivyhedge »

Howdy,

You can add me back to the list, as well.

Cheers.
Polymath.
Topic Author
siamond

Post by siamond »

Hello Metro-Boston... Sorry for the inactivity over the past few months.

Our next meeting will be on Saturday September 25th, starting at 10am, till noon-ish. It will be an online meeting, agenda and details will be shared by e-mail as usual.
Topic Author
siamond

Post by siamond »

danzaman wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:36 pmCan I please be added to the metro boston chapter email distribution you have going? I'd love to attend in person or virtually in the Fall!
Please check your private messages.
snoopduck wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:50 am Please add me to the mailing list! Thanks
ivyhedge wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:05 am You can add me back to the list, as well.
I have your information from a few years ago, just added you to the current list. Please PM me if your e-mail address changed since 2017!
wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds »

Can you add me to the Metro Boston list? thanks!
teamDE

Post by teamDE »

Hi all, sorry if this is the wrong place for it, but I'm looking for a tax accountant in the Boston metro area. Does anyone have a recommendation? It's for personal taxes, but I'm juggling a lot of RSU sales so I need to do quarterlies, manage a donor advised fund strategy, etc. Things have gotten a little complicated so I want to see what's out there.
Coltrane75

Post by Coltrane75 »

siamond wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:38 am Hello Metro-Boston... Sorry for the inactivity over the past few months.

Our next meeting will be on Saturday September 25th, starting at 10am, till noon-ish. It will be an online meeting, agenda and details will be shared by e-mail as usual.
Hello, I live in the Boston area, could I be added to the email list as well?
thanks
Topic Author
siamond

Post by siamond »

wrongfunds wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:24 am Can you add me to the Metro Boston list? thanks!
Coltrane75 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:18 pm Hello, I live in the Boston area, could I be added to the email list as well?
thanks
Guys, please contact me by private message and give me your e-mail address, so that I can update the distribution list.

PS. sorry for my unresponsiveness, I'm a bit busy with some personal stuff..
Topic Author
siamond

Post by siamond »

siamond wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:49 am
danzaman wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:36 pmCan I please be added to the metro boston chapter email distribution you have going? I'd love to attend in person or virtually in the Fall!
snoopduck wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:50 am Please add me to the mailing list! Thanks
Folks, if I am not mistaken, I didn't hear from you?
Topic Author
siamond

Post by siamond »

Final reminder... our next Metro-Boston meeting will be on Saturday September 25th, starting at 10am, till noon-ish.

It will be an online meeting, agenda and details have been shared by e-mail earlier today. If you didn't receive it, please contact me via private message.
Topic Author
siamond

Post by siamond »

Last ping for our (online) meeting this Saturday Sep 25th. If you didn't get the Zoom link, time to send me an e-mail or a private message...

Also, this will be my last meeting as the Metro-Boston chapter coordinator since my wife and I decided to move to new horizons... If anybody would like to volunteer to keep those meetings going, please reach out to me and I will be happy to help transition.
wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds »

Fabulous zoom meeting; this was the 1st time I attended. Even though no immediate plan for retirement the presentation was very useful to show different withdrawal methods their pros and cons.
Dahlia45

Post by Dahlia45 »

Hello Boston Bogleheads. I'd like to introduce myself. I am the new chapter coordinator and we have scheduled our first meeting. Details are below: 8-)

Christine Benz from Morningstar is giving a retirement presentation for the Boston Bogleheads Chapter this Saturday, Jan 22, 2022, from 10:00 am to 12 noon Eastern Time. This virtual meeting is open to all Bogleheads!

Her topic is: "What If This Turns Out To Be A Terrible Time To Retire?" :shock: :annoyed

Her presentation will be followed by Q&A with ample time for interesting discussion.

The zoom link for this meeting is posted on the Bogleheads Blog Calendar of Events.

If you have any questions, please contact me at Bogleheadsboston@gmail.com. I look forward to meeting everyone.
Cheddarhead

Post by Cheddarhead »

Is this Zoom meeting/presentation going to be put online at Youtube or some other source?
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The Zoom meeting is now on YouTube: Bogleheads® Chapter Series – Christine Benz: What if this turns out to be a terrible time to retire?

Links to the slides and chat are in the show notes.

All of our YouTube meetings are in the blog. See: Virtual online chapter presentations
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Dahlia45

Post by Dahlia45 »

Chris Pederson, Director of Research at The Merriman Financial Education Foundation, will give a presentation for the Metro Boston Bogleheads Chapter on Saturday, April 23, 2022, from 12:00pm to 1:30pm Eastern Time. This virtual meeting is open to all Bogleheads!

His topic is: Simple & Effective Balanced Lifetime Portfolios - 2022 Update

Chris will present several very simple portfolios that achieve massive diversification across industries, geographies, stocks, bonds, and various equity premium factors. He'll also cover 2 Funds for Life strategies that augment target-date funds to reduce risk with age, increase expected returns, raise safe withdrawal rates, and achieve higher overall survival rates. Finally, he'll compare past performance to more complex approaches and show that complexity is not a necessity in accumulation or retirement. The presentation will be followed by Q&As.

The zoom link for this meeting is posted on the https://www.bogleheads.org/blog/calendar-of-events/.

If you have any questions, please contact me at Bogleheadsboston@gmail.com.
Dahlia45

Post by Dahlia45 »

REMINDER:

Chris Pederson, Director of Research at The Merriman Financial Education Foundation, will give a presentation for the Metro Boston Bogleheads Chapter on Saturday, April 23, 2022, from 12:00pm to 1:30pm Eastern Time. This virtual meeting is open to all Bogleheads!

His topic is: Simple & Effective Balanced Lifetime Portfolios - 2022 Update

Chris will present several very simple portfolios that achieve massive diversification across industries, geographies, stocks, bonds, and various equity premium factors. He'll also cover 2 Funds for Life strategies that augment target-date funds to reduce risk with age, increase expected returns, raise safe withdrawal rates, and achieve higher overall survival rates. Finally, he'll compare past performance to more complex approaches and show that complexity is not a necessity in accumulation or retirement. The presentation will be followed by Q&As.

The zoom link for this meeting is posted on the https://www.bogleheads.org/blog/calendar-of-events/.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The Zoom meeting is now on YouTube: Bogleheads® Chapter Series - Chris Pedersen on Simple & Effective Balanced Lifetime Portfolios- 2022

All of our YouTube meetings are in the blog. See: Virtual online chapter presentations
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Dahlia45

Post by Dahlia45 »

Paul Merriman will be speaking at the next Boston Bogleheads Chapter meeting on Saturday, September 17th, at 12:00pm Eastern Time. This virtual meeting is open to all Bogleheads! The presentation will be followed by Q&As.

The zoom link for this meeting is posted on the https://www.bogleheads.org/blog/calendar-of-events/

Dahlia45

Post by Dahlia45 »

Just a reminder that Paul Merriman will be speaking at the Boston Bogleheads next zoom meeting this Sat. Sept.17, 2022, at 12:00 noon.ET. Paul will be giving a brief discussion of the 12-million-dollar decisions covered in “We’re Talking Millions” book. The Merriman Financial Education Foundation is celebrating their 10-year anniversary this year, and Paul will discuss the 10 most important new lessons they have learned over the last 10 years. The presentation will be followed by Q&A, with ample time for discussion.

This meeting is open to all Bogleheads.

You can find the Zoom link on the Bogleheads Calendar of Events https://www.bogleheads.org/blog/calendar-of-events/. Please jot down the meeting ID and passcode in case Zoom asks for it.

If you have any questions, please contact Bogleheadsboston@gmail.com.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The recorded meeting is now on YouTube.

See: Bogleheads® Chapter Series – Paul Merriman Presents Ten Life-Changing Lessons

Closed captioning is currently not available - which happened with the last YouTube chapter recording. There's nothing I could do on my end. A few days later, it was enabled by YouTube on its own. Let's wait a few days to see if they get turned on.

A concise summary of the chapters' meeting content is available in the blog: Virtual online chapter presentations
Dahlia45

Post by Dahlia45 »

Boston Bogleheads:
Please join us for the first in-person Boston Bogleheads meeting in almost 3 years! We will be meeting on Saturday, December 3rd, at 10:30am at the Lincoln library located at 3 Bedford Road, Lincoln, MA. The meeting will be in the Tarbell Room, which is on the second floor of the library.

The meeting will feature a presentation on Treasury Inflation Protected Securities (TIPS) by Rick Moberg. This is a timely topic that may be on the minds of many of you given the spike in inflation we’ve seen over the past two years.

TIPS are U.S. government bonds that are designed to protect investors from inflation. The goal of Rick’s presentation is to help you decide if TIPS are right for you. To that end, the presentation will describe:

1) The mechanics of how TIPS work, including the factors that drive their investment returns.
2) How to invest in TIPS by taking you through the five major decisions you must make when you buy them, including:
• Should you buy individual TIPS or TIPS funds?
• Should you buy TIPS with short, intermediate, or long-term maturities?
• When should you buy TIPS?
• Should you buy TIPS in taxable accounts, traditional IRAs or Roth IRAs?
• How much of your portfolio should you allocate to TIPS?

At the end of the presentation, Rick will offer his thoughts on a prudent strategy for hedging inflation with TIPS. This in-person meeting offers the opportunity for you to meet other Bogleheads. If there is interest, we may continue discussing over lunch at a local restaurant following the meeting.

About Rick Moberg
Rick received a B.B.A. in accounting from the University of Massachusetts at Amherst in 1977. He started his career in public accounting and became a CPA. He received an M.B.A. with a concentration in Finance from Bentley College in 1987.

After working in public accounting and holding several corporate controller positions, he joined Lotus Development Corporation in 1990 as its director of financial services and later as its corporate controller. Upon leaving Lotus in 1996, Rick became the chief financial officer of Aware Inc, a publicly traded software company. He worked at Aware for most of the next 21 years and added the title of co-chief executive officer in 2011.

Rick retired in 2017 and lives in Hopkinton, MA with his wife, Sandy. Personal finance and investing have been lifelong passions. He has spent countless hours reading and teaching himself about these topics.

Please email bogleheadsboston@gmail.com with any questions. Hope to see you there!
Dahlia45

Post by Dahlia45 »

Just a reminder about the Boston Bogleheads' next meeting- it will be in-person this Saturday, Dec 3, at 10:30am at the Lincoln library located at 3 Bedford Road, Lincoln, MA.

The meeting will be in the Tarbell Room, which is on the second floor of the library.

The meeting will feature a presentation on Treasury Inflation Protected Securities (TIPS) by Rick Moberg. This is a timely topic that may be on the minds of many of you given the spike in inflation we’ve seen over the past two years.

TIPS are U.S. government bonds that are designed to protect investors from inflation. The goal of Rick’s presentation is to help you decide if TIPS are right for you. To that end, the presentation will describe:

1) The mechanics of how TIPS work, including the factors that drive their investment returns.
2) How to invest in TIPS by taking you through the five major decisions you must make when you buy them, including:
• Should you buy individual TIPS or TIPS funds?
• Should you buy TIPS with short, intermediate, or long-term maturities?
• When should you buy TIPS?
• Should you buy TIPS in taxable accounts, traditional IRAs or Roth IRAs?
• How much of your portfolio should you allocate to TIPS?

At the end of the presentation, Rick will offer his thoughts on a prudent strategy for hedging inflation with TIPS. This in-person meeting offers the opportunity for you to meet other Bogleheads. If there is interest, we may continue discussing over lunch at a local restaurant following the meeting.

About Rick Moberg
Rick received a B.B.A. in accounting from the University of Massachusetts at Amherst in 1977. He started his career in public accounting and became a CPA. He received an M.B.A. with a concentration in Finance from Bentley College in 1987.

After working in public accounting and holding several corporate controller positions, he joined Lotus Development Corporation in 1990 as its director of financial services and later as its corporate controller. Upon leaving Lotus in 1996, Rick became the chief financial officer of Aware Inc, a publicly traded software company. He worked at Aware for most of the next 21 years and added the title of co-chief executive officer in 2011.

Rick retired in 2017 and lives in Hopkinton, MA with his wife, Sandy. Personal finance and investing have been lifelong passions. He has spent countless hours reading and teaching himself about these topics.

Please email bogleheadsboston@gmail.com with any questions. Hope to see you there!
jaydub522

Post by jaydub522 »

Hi - please add me to the list. Appreciate it.
gretchenbh

Post by gretchenbh »

Hello! Please add me to the list as well- sorry to have missed out on the December session!
VBS

Post by VBS »

Please add me to master list for Metro Boston. Thanks!
Dahlia45

Post by Dahlia45 »

Please join us for our next Boston Bogleheads meeting that will be held in-person on Saturday, April 1, at 10:30am at the Lincoln library located at 3 Bedford Road, Lincoln, MA. The meeting will be in the Tarbell Room, which is on the second floor of the library. This meeting will not be recorded or offered through zoom.

We will have a panel of some Boston Bogleheads present their Asset Allocation, with open discussion afterwards. We are looking for a few more to share their Asset Allocations. If you are interested in sharing or have any questions, please email bogleheadsboston@gmail.com.

We hope to see you there!
Dahlia45

Post by Dahlia45 »

Reminder: The next Boston Bogleheads meeting will be held in-person this Saturday, April 1, at 10:30am at the Lincoln library located at 3 Bedford Road, Lincoln, MA. The meeting will be in the Tarbell Room, which is on the second floor of the library.

We will have a panel of some Boston Bogleheads who will present their Asset Allocation, with open discussion afterwards.

If you have any questions, please email bogleheadsboston@gmail.com.

We hope to see you there!