Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2022!

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
old medic

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2022!

Post by old medic »

Miriam2 wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:51 pm Wow - 35 1/2 years in the same service! That's a remarkable work life and we're very happy you're looking forward to a nice retirement. Something to be very pleased about :D Welcome to this wonderful retirement class, old medic - you're on the Roll Call!
Please keep us posted on your retirement path and adventures. Enjoy your New Years Eve festivities celebrating two new years!
Thank you for the welcome, and looking forward to it. Still have the option to do some PT for the thrill factor.
Wife has a few more year before she retires.. so gonna try learning the investing game...
Jtdmn

Post by Jtdmn »

Dec. 31, 2022.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

BogleFan84 wrote: Please include me in!

Excited, and learning, as DW and I look forward to 7/5/22 (the day I turn 62, DW, a stay-at-home Mom, will be 68) as our retirement date (but I'll leave in April/May 2022 and use 10 weeks PTO). DW will be eligible for Medicare; while I plan on COBRA for 18 months, then purchase my own (planning in the added expense).

Currently at 1.9M (plus $100K EF), with a small (11K per year pension), and planning on SS ($56K with spousal benefits) at age 67. Planning on $95K budget (current budget), adding $15K for my health insurance until 65.
Hello BogleFan84! What a nice glidepath into retirement and beyond! Thank you for sharing your plans.

You're on this Roll Call and a big welcome to this Retirement Class of 2022 :D
BogleFan84 wrote:Planning on spending time with the grandchildren (5), working with a group of volunteers who help non-profits and churches with website development, propose new equipment to meet their needs, etc. as well as continue to run, bike, hike, travel (with DW), volunteer in our church.
Looks like you have many projects and fun times ahead of you. "spending time with 5 grandchildren . . . run, bike, hike" - I'm exhausted already :mrgreen: We cannot think of a more enjoyable and meaningful retirement than you have planned, and we hope that everything works out perfectly. This is an exciting time of life and we wish you a long and healthy retirement! :happy
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

WyomingFIRE wrote: I’m in, maybe.

The end for me is either 2022 (age 58; DW 62), 2023 (59/63) or 2024 (60/64), subject to almost certain budget cuts. We are currently at circa 47X so even if the wheels were to come off Monday due to some unforeseen calamity, we will be fine.
OK Wyoming, we'll put you on the 2022 Retirement Roll Call and if the wheels don't come off, you can just let us know and we'll reboot you!
texas lawdog

Post by texas lawdog »

I will be reporting for retirement in Oct 2022 and will be 52 at that time (my wife will be 50).

After working thru some major financial events (Dot Com Crash, 9/11, Great Financial Crisis, Pandemic), I think we finally feel comfortable enough to live off $80K/yr in dividend income + $20K/yr in cash until we reach the age of 60 and then start using our 401K / IRA balances, if necessary.
Healthcare was a big question mark, but the pandemic gave me some extra time to figure this out and learn that I can structure my dividend income from Eaton Vance in a way that would also allow us to qualify for ACA subsidies (although the threshold was temporarily suspended).

We are "young" and don't have an extravagant lifestyle, so think we will have enough...too many people look at the income side of the retirement equation and forget the expense side.

Seems like a ways off, but my wife has a countdown clock on her desk and likes to remind me of how many days we have to go, Lol.
Tjb

Post by Tjb »

Current Plan is end of May 2022. 40.5 years with same company. All good, but it's time. Finishing up OMY and will call it a day in May. I will be 63, DW 58.

Although we are in very good shape financially, I still worry a bit, just my nature, but I suspect after a year or two into it, the worry will subside.

Looking forward to travel, leisure, learning some new fun skills and doing some home renovations.

Very exciting to hear others plans and their excitement as well.

Congratulations to all.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Jtdmn wrote: Dec. 31, 2022.
Welcome to the Bogleheads, Jtdmn! And welcome to the Retirement Roll Call for the Class of 2022! Happy to have you in the class :D

So that's it?? "Dec. 31, 2022" and you're done? How is your retirement planning going - and once there, what will you do with all your free time? We wish you good luck with all your plans and a very enjoyable retirement 8-)
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

texas lawdog wrote: I will be reporting for retirement in Oct 2022 and will be 52 at that time (my wife will be 50) . . .
Seems like a ways off, but my wife has a countdown clock on her desk and likes to remind me of how many days we have to go, Lol.
OK Texas! We'll put you on the roster. Welcome to the Roll Call and this Exciting Retirement Class of 2022 :D
It is a long way off, but time flies and before you know it, you'll be scrambling to get all your retirement papers ready to punch out!
texas lawdog wrote:After working thru some major financial events (Dot Com Crash, 9/11, Great Financial Crisis, Pandemic), I think we finally feel comfortable enough to live off $80K/yr in dividend income + $20K/yr in cash until we reach the age of 60 and then start using our 401K / IRA balances, if necessary.
Healthcare was a big question mark, but the pandemic gave me some extra time to figure this out and learn that I can structure my dividend income from Eaton Vance in a way that would also allow us to qualify for ACA subsidies (although the threshold was temporarily suspended).

We are "young" and don't have an extravagant lifestyle, so think we will have enough...too many people look at the income side of the retirement equation and forget the expense side.
Very helpful perspective, thank you for sharing your retirement glidepath 8-)
You are "young" - absolutely! Many, many years ahead of you to appreciate and enjoy a whole new life 8-)

We hope this last year is a fun wind-down for your retirement and that your plans work out perfectly!
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Tjb wrote: Current Plan is end of May 2022. 40.5 years with same company. All good, but it's time. Finishing up OMY and will call it a day in May. I will be 63, DW 58.

Although we are in very good shape financially, I still worry a bit, just my nature, but I suspect after a year or two into it, the worry will subside.

Looking forward to travel, leisure, learning some new fun skills and doing some home renovations.

Very exciting to hear others plans and their excitement as well.

Congratulations to all.
Hi Tjb! What a nice retirement plan, thank you for sharing. Wow! 40.5 years working with the same company! It's always great to have a good work life, and now the transition into retirement is certainly well-deserved. We hope your transition into retirement is easy to manage on the emotional level - good work but time to move on 8-)

Welcome to this Awe-Inspiring Retirement Roll Call - you're in the Class of 2022 and on the roster! We wish you all the best finishing up your work and gliding into retirement, and that you have a long, healthy, and enjoyable next phase of life. :beer
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Here is the First Roster for the up and coming Retirement Class of 2022!

We already have 22 very eager pre-retirees 8-)

If you wish to join this Fabulous Retirement Class, you know what to do! :D

01 Jan - beernutz
01 Jan - old medic
06 Jan - jamacq
07 Jan - Whatyear? (age 62)

02 Feb - Escapevelocity (55)

__ Mar - GG1273 (63)

01 May - sean.mcgrath (57)
31 May - Bronko
__ May - Bass4
__ May - Tjb (63)

01 Jun - Newby61 (61)
30 Jun - Runyer (63)

01 Jul - Viking65 (56)
05 Jul - BogleFan84 (62)

01 Aug - augryphon (60)
01 Aug - tooluser (56)
31 Aug - blackburnian (65)

__ Oct - texas lawdog (52)

31 Dec - fatcoffeedrinker (54)
31 Dec - AngelFIRE (52)
31 Dec - Jtdmn
__ Dec - shiftyg (54)

__ ___ - WyomingFIRE (58)

Please let me know if I made any goofs :mrgreen:
Last edited by Miriam2 on Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

I'm transferring from the Class of 2021 to the Class of 2022!
I am strangely enough not unhappy about that. (You can read all about it in the 2021 thread.)
Planning to retire 01 Aug 2022 at the age of 56.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

tooluser wrote: I'm transferring from the Class of 2021 to the Class of 2022!
I am strangely enough not unhappy about that. (You can read all about it in the 2021 thread.)
Planning to retire 01 Aug 2022 at the age of 56.
OK tooluser! As I said in 2021 - no way am I gonna mess with you :D You're on for Aug 1, less than a year to go!!
usa

Post by usa »

Hitting 30 years w Fed Gov't in January, MRA May 2022 (56). I'm ready! Hit 1.5 in TSP finally this week.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

usa wrote: Hitting 30 years w Fed Gov't in January, MRA May 2022 (56). I'm ready! Hit 1.5 in TSP finally this week.
Hi Usa! and a hearty congratulations to you reaching your milestones and getting ready to retire! Welcome to this Retirement Roll Call for the 2022 Retirement Class 8-)

Please keep us posted with your retirement plans. We wish you a wonderful long and enjoyable retirement after your 30-year career :D
txbear55

Post by txbear55 »

66 and 2 months at the end of the year, so will fully retire starting 2022 and take my SS after 41 years in dentistry. DW is 60, two grown children and two grandchildren live within a mile, so all is good!

Minimal debt, 1.5M invested as Bogle philosophy recommends at 50-50 ratio, plus sitting on a 1M piece of real estate that I will likely sell within a year and invest as above.

Only regret is that I was financially naive for the first 30 years of my career. Still thankful, though, for all my blessings (and this forum is one of them!).
Runyer

Post by Runyer »

Well…things are getting real for me as I close in on my June 30, 2022 retirement date! Just completed scheduling our first month of retirement out West! Quiet, beauty and trout are the order of the month!
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

txbear55 wrote: 66 and 2 months at the end of the year, so will fully retire starting 2022 and take my SS after 41 years in dentistry. DW is 60, two grown children and two grandchildren live within a mile, so all is good!

Minimal debt, 1.5M invested as Bogle philosophy recommends at 50-50 ratio, plus sitting on a 1M piece of real estate that I will likely sell within a year and invest as above.

Only regret is that I was financially naive for the first 30 years of my career. Still thankful, though, for all my blessings (and this forum is one of them!).
So nice to read your post, txbear55 :happy A good career of 41 years, children and grandchildren living nearby, and - thanks to Mr. Bogle and the Bogleheads - a solid financial base. As you say, "all is good," what more could we want.

Let us know how your retirement plans go and when you know your dates, we'll simply update. We hope you have a really wonderful retirement, full of family and friends and many new and exciting adventures :happy
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Runyer wrote: Well…things are getting real for me as I close in on my June 30, 2022 retirement date! Just completed scheduling our first month of retirement out West! Quiet, beauty and trout are the order of the month!
Wow - you don't dally around! Retiring in 9 months (you know, you can have a baby in 9 months, not that I'm suggesting it - LOL, but meaning that 9 months is a little time down the road!) and yet you're already scheduling your first retirement month out West with "quiet, beauty and trout" 8-) We had a friend who loved trout fishing out West - he would put on his LLBean rubber waders and stand all day in some rushing stream trying not to fall over and waiting for the trout to bite his bait. Beautiful and exciting 8-)

Sounds like good planning and a wonderful way to enjoy your first month in retirement. We wish you all the best and hope your retirement is everything you wish for.

PS - So how much Bourbon have you collected so far for your retirement party?! :beer
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Here's the fall line-up for the up-and-coming Retirement Class of 2022 8-)

We have Classmates getting ready: to sell their house & rent somewhere fun, to invent board games, looking forward to a more Zen lifestyle, to leaving BigLaw, spending time with the grandchildren, doing home renovations, to leaving the best highest-paying job they ever had, collecting Bourbon for their retirement party, organizing photos and family papers, and to run, bike and hike!

If you wish to join this Fabulous 2022 Retirement Class, you know what to do! :D

01 Jan - beernutz
01 Jan - old medic
06 Jan - jamacq
07 Jan - Whatyear? (age 62)

02 Feb - Escapevelocity (55)

__ Mar - GG1273 (63)

01 May - sean.mcgrath (57)
31 May - Bronko
__ May - Bass4
__ May - Tjb (63)
__ May - usa (56)

01 Jun - Newby61 (61)
30 Jun - Runyer (63)

01 Jul - Viking65 (56)
05 Jul - BogleFan84 (62)

01 Aug - augryphon (60)
01 Aug - tooluser (56)
31 Aug - blackburnian (65)
31 Aug - Feijao (53)

__ Oct - texas lawdog (52)

31 Dec - fatcoffeedrinker (54)
31 Dec - AngelFIRE (52)
31 Dec - Jtdmn
31 Dec - Live Simple
__ Dec - shiftyg (54)

__ ___ - WyomingFIRE (58)
__ ___ - txbear55 (66)

Please let me know if I made any goofs :mrgreen:
Last edited by Miriam2 on Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feijao

Post by Feijao »

I want to add my name to the 2022 retirement list. I tried to retire in 2020, but pulled my retirement papers at the last minute. OMY got to me. This time it's for real. I'm a Fed Law Enforcement guy and I'll retire at age 53. My wife and I are looking forward to the next stage. A lot planned, mostly travel (hopefully cruises will return to normal) and visiting our son in Toronto, Canada. We both have plenty of hobbies to keep ourselves occupied and provide purpose. Other than that, spend more time at our excellent home gym, visit AZ or FL for spring training and attend as many Washington Nationals games as we can fit in to our schedule. Good luck to all as your date approaches.

I forgot to put my date: August 31, 2022.
Last edited by Feijao on Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
LiveSimple

Post by LiveSimple »

Planning for Dec 31 2022. May be OMY to 2023 as well, will see.
Invest when you have the money, sell when you need the money, for real life expenses...
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Feijao wrote: I want to add my name to the 2022 retirement list. I tried to retire in 2020, but pulled my retirement papers at the last minute. OMY got to me. This time it's for real. I'm a Fed Law Enforcement guy and I'll retire at age 53. My wife and I are looking forward to the next stage. A lot planned, mostly travel (hopefully cruises will return to normal) and visiting our son in Toronto, Canada. We both have plenty of hobbies to keep ourselves occupied and provide purpose. Other than that, spend more time at our excellent home gym, visit AZ or FL for spring training and attend as many Washington Nationals games as we can fit in to our schedule. Good luck to all as your date approaches.

I forgot to put my date: August 31, 2022.
Hi Feijao and welcome to this Really Awesome Retirement Roll Call! No more OMY! This time it's for real :D But don't panic if for some reason AOMY (another one more year) comes - we'll just reboot you!

Nice plans to look forward to and good to get out of Fed Law. I'm inspired reading about your "plenty of hobbies to keep yourselves occupied and providing purpose" - very nice way to put it. The thought of retirement with too much time to fill can be fearful for some. Hope you enjoy your baseball 8-) and we wish you a safe and exciting glidepath into retirement and many years of enjoyment in your next phase of life.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

LiveSimple wrote: Planning for Dec 31 2022. May be OMY to 2023 as well, will see.
Thank you for joining this Great Class of 2022! You're on the Retirement Roll Call :D If you decide to OMY, let us know and we'll switch years. Lots of decisions and this can be a big one!
rocket123

Post by rocket123 »

I am finally ready - will give notice in January and stay on between 2 week and 2 months.

I'm 57 and will take on home projects, golf courses, hiking trails and foreign adventures. And keep trying to convince my mother you don't need to work to be happy.
Taz

Post by Taz »

Please add Mrs. Taz to the Class of 2022. Although I graduated in February, Mrs. Taz (age 58) finally gave notice to her bosses back in October that she would leave in January 2022. A few weeks ago, she decided on Jan 14th as her last day in the office with Jan 29th as the official resignation date. She doesn't hate her job, but a growing frustration with bureaucracy and having to constantly rearrange the deck chairs took its toll. Plus, her father's health is declining and he is the only parent of ours still alive. Spending time with him outweighs any marginal gain to our retirement accounts. She has met the 10+MRA but will be waiting until she turns 62 to take a small DoD civilian pension.

Immediate plan is to bring her father down to spend six weeks with us. After that, spring travel - camping - Bourbon Trail - visit our grown kids - perhaps go looking for a new area to live.

Cheers - Taz
The destination matters. | "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't don't stop and look around once in a while - you could miss it." -- Ferris Bueller
SunRainSnow

Post by SunRainSnow »

Hi - you can add me to the list, let's say May 2022, I'll be 49. Once my yearly bonus is paid I'll give 4 months notice that I'll be willing to work but will leave that day if they desire. Don't hate my job (or any job I've had) but there are lots of other things I'd rather spend my time doing now I'm able to afford to.

Really grateful I came across this site about 8 years ago and owe a lot of why the reason I am here to all the great people here.
Jtdmn

Post by Jtdmn »

Miriam2 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:43 pm
Jtdmn wrote: Dec. 31, 2022.
Welcome to the Bogleheads, Jtdmn! And welcome to the Retirement Roll Call for the Class of 2022! Happy to have you in the class :D

So that's it?? "Dec. 31, 2022" and you're done? How is your retirement planning going - and once there, what will you do with all your free time? We wish you good luck with all your plans and a very enjoyable retirement 8-)
The financial part of retirement planning is baked and ready to go. Tentative plan is we are going to get a small apartment in our place in the sun and live there part time with the idea that we might move there full time if we like it. I might pull the plug on working earlier then Dec. but for various reasons Dec. works out better and I don't hate my job so no burning desire to be done asap.
Methos1979

Post by Methos1979 »

Another class of 2022. January 1, 2022 is our first day of retirement. We're pretty stoked. 60 & 59. We were going to go for a few more years then decided to pull the plug 6-30-22 and then decided time's a wasting. Sort of the opposite of OMY, I guess. OLY, you might say.
beernutz

Post by beernutz »

Thanks for doing this again Miriam. This has to be one of the most fun threads in the BHverse.
AA: 40/41/19 - equities/positive return-zero volatility/bonds
jjunk

Post by jjunk »

I can't believe I'm saying this, but please add my name to the list. I plan to retire in late October 2022 after some final stock vesting occurs. I'll be 48 when I retire after spending 24yrs in big tech. I plan to spend my time watching as many movies as possible while also getting out into the woods and all the amazing trails we have here in the PNW.
rich126

Post by rich126 »

Maybe. I can get my pension and health insurance Dec 2022. I may retire or see if I can do a WFH job.
----------------------------- | If you think something is important and it doesn't involve the health of someone, think again. Life goes too fast, enjoy it and be nice.
averagedude

Post by averagedude »

April 1, 2022 at age 52 if everything is looking good. This means that my health is good, no workers comp injury, no major bear market,no major wars, and no black swan events that I haven't thought of. I'm figuring 85% probability.
Runyer

Post by Runyer »

Thank you for the reply Miriam! I’ve enjoyed trout fishing out West for years for a week or so at a time. I’m excited to begin retirement with a trout fishing trip!

My bourbon gathering may be a little out of control (my wife may have used those exact words 😊)! Let’s just put it this way, I’m confident I’ll have enough of the good stuff for the party!

Looking forward to staying in touch with the Class of 22 in the future!

Runyer
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

rocket123 wrote: I am finally ready - will give notice in January and stay on between 2 week and 2 months.

I'm 57 and will take on home projects, golf courses, hiking trails and foreign adventures. And keep trying to convince my mother you don't need to work to be happy.
Welcome to the Retirement Roll Call, rocket123 :D Let us know your retirement date and we'll update your retirement slot! Looks like no matter 2 weeks or 2 months, your retirement is just around the corner - it gets exciting :beer

Thank you for sharing your retirement To-Do list. Lots of nice active plans. Take your mother along on your adventures so she can see how happy you are! We wish you success with your home projects :wink: and lots of enjoyment throughout your retirement. Please keep us posted on your adventures 8-)
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Taz wrote: Please add Mrs. Taz to the Class of 2022. Although I graduated in February, Mrs. Taz (age 58) finally gave notice to her bosses back in October that she would leave in January 2022. A few weeks ago, she decided on Jan 14th as her last day in the office with Jan 29th as the official resignation date. She doesn't hate her job, but a growing frustration with bureaucracy and having to constantly rearrange the deck chairs took its toll. Plus, her father's health is declining and he is the only parent of ours still alive. Spending time with him outweighs any marginal gain to our retirement accounts. She has met the 10+MRA but will be waiting until she turns 62 to take a small DoD civilian pension.

Immediate plan is to bring her father down to spend six weeks with us. After that, spring travel - camping - Bourbon Trail - visit our grown kids - perhaps go looking for a new area to live.

Cheers - Taz
Nice post, Taz, and nice plans. It's certainly a huge relief to know that you have the financial ability to retire and spend more time with an aging parent rather than need to keep working to add more to your retirement accounts. A good lesson for all of us. We hope everything works out well for your family and that everyone enjoys all the many pleasures and exciting new experiences that retirement brings :D
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

SunRainSnow wrote: Hi - you can add me to the list, let's say May 2022, I'll be 49. Once my yearly bonus is paid I'll give 4 months notice that I'll be willing to work but will leave that day if they desire. Don't hate my job (or any job I've had) but there are lots of other things I'd rather spend my time doing now I'm able to afford to.
Hi SunRainSnow! and welcome to the Awesome Upcoming Class of 2022! Hear those beautiful words: You're on the Retirement Roll Call :D

We'll pencil you in for May 2022 and if you change your R-date, let us know and we'll reboot you. You'll be one of our younger retirees and we're looking forward to hearing what you have planned for your long future, free from time clocks and deadlines. We hope everything goes perfectly and wish you a very satisfying and enjoyable retirement.
SunRainSnow wrote:Really grateful I came across this site about 8 years ago and owe a lot of why the reason I am here to all the great people here.
And we all agree with you :sharebeer The best personal finance forum on the planet. And we can even help you make oatmeal with Dr. Pepper and get rid of pesky squirrels eating your basil plants :D
deserat

Post by deserat »

Count me in - will be giving notice in March for an effective date of retirement meaning for me no longer being an employee and only doing interesting consulting jobs when I want to to keep my brain functioning. I will be living off my investments until my Reserve pension starts in 2024. Already have plans to follow around a favorite band on the US tour starting the Saturday of my first retired weekend. Will be moving back to USA, buying a car and a house...lots of stuff to do.

So many people to thank for getting here: Terhorst (You Can Retire at 35), Kaderlis, Tightwad Gazette, Millionaire Next Door, Clements ("I'm long on tuna fish and short on toilet paper"), Index Funds, Boglehead community, VPW, RPM, Early Retirement Forum, Doug Nordman, REWahoo, and decision to stay in the Air Force Reserves while still working at a full-time career (nice pension and healthcare benefits at age 60). I've had highly loaded mutual funds (USPA & IRA and another fund that ended up paying the broker more than me :-( ) and migrated to index funds riding many market ups and downs (1989, Dot Com bust, 2008, COVID) but always doing my best to save the maximum (and then some) I could in tax deferred and Roth vehicles as well as after tax, just staying the course. I've run every model there is to see if I can retire with as much as or more of a spending lifestyle than I have now as well as consulted several financial planners.

So, it is time. I have so looked forward to this decision. I've wanted to retire early since my late 20s; I had gotten there in my early 50s, but went back to work due to some personal setbacks. I will be just 58 (birthday in mid-March) when I am done, done, done with work :-). (I'm mentally there already - heh).
MikeWillRetire

Post by MikeWillRetire »

I'm in. July 1, 2022 on my 60th birthday! (fingers crossed)
My wife and I have not travelled much, so that will change in retirement. Really looking forward to it!
I guess I will have to figure out how to change my user name from MikeWillRetire to MikeDidRetire.....
Barkingsparrow

Post by Barkingsparrow »

DW and I have planned for me to retire 12/31/22 (I'll be 64), while she would keep working another 18 months until she is 65 so that we can go on her health insurance at her job. I admit I'm fighting the OMY syndrome though. I am expecting a promotion next year that will not add much more to my current responsibilities, job is full-time remote, and I have great managers and co-workers. There's little in the way of job negatives that makes me want to retire - other than the fact that I've worked for 40 years non-stop.

We just signed with Planvision (due to the good reviews here) to get a sanity check on our finances.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Methos1979 wrote: Another class of 2022. January 1, 2022 is our first day of retirement. We're pretty stoked. 60 & 59. We were going to go for a few more years then decided to pull the plug 6-30-22 and then decided time's a wasting. Sort of the opposite of OMY, I guess. OLY, you might say.
Nice call, Methos1979! Time's a-wasting :D Welcome to the Retirement Roll Call and this Awesome Retirement Class of 2022!

Hope you have all your paperwork in order to fly out the door - you only have 3 weeks until you plug the plug!

I guess your finances are in order :mrgreen: but what about the emotional side of retiring together and beginning a new way of living? We wish you all the best in your retirement, all good things for a long happy new adventure.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

jjunk wrote: I can't believe I'm saying this, but please add my name to the list. I plan to retire in late October 2022 after some final stock vesting occurs.
Congratulations on saying it out loud, jjunk!! That means we all know and we'll help you actualize all your plans. Now for those beautiful words - Welcome to the Retirement Roll Call! :D
jjunk wrote:I'll be 48 when I retire after spending 24 yrs in big tech.
Oooh good - a Big Tech retiree. Throw out all those old punch cards :mrgreen: And so far, at 48 (you may not know what a punch card is LOL!) you are the youngest retiree in this Retirement Class of 2022. If you maintain that honor, you will receive the Most Prestigious Award - of the many Prestigious Awards - and there are many, many prestigious awards in Retirement Roll Call land :wink: - as the Youngest Retiree of our 2022 Class :beer
jjunk wrote:I plan to spend my time watching as many movies as possible while also getting out into the woods and all the amazing trails we have here in the PNW.
Nice plans! May I suggest watching "The Lehman Trilogy" - if you can find it (there is a CD). You'll be glued to your seat till the end.
www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php? ... 0#p5040196

We wish you a long, happy and very healthy retirement, and please keep us posted on your hiking adventures and stock vesting :D
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

rich126 wrote: Maybe. I can get my pension and health insurance Dec 2022. I may retire or see if I can do a WFH job.
OK rich126, we'll pencil you in for December, please advise if you change your mind :happy
rich126

Post by rich126 »

Miriam2 wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:41 am
rich126 wrote: Maybe. I can get my pension and health insurance Dec 2022. I may retire or see if I can do a WFH job.
OK rich126, we'll pencil you in for December, please advise if you change your mind :happy
Thanks. Due to the recent death of my father, I will almost certainly retire from my government job at the end of 2022. Life is too short to keep working if you don't have to. I'm just trying to figure out if I can last almost another full year. Perspective on life/work changes as you get older and people pass on.
----------------------------- | If you think something is important and it doesn't involve the health of someone, think again. Life goes too fast, enjoy it and be nice.
Methos1979

Post by Methos1979 »

Miriam2 wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:11 am
Methos1979 wrote: Another class of 2022. January 1, 2022 is our first day of retirement. We're pretty stoked. 60 & 59. We were going to go for a few more years then decided to pull the plug 6-30-22 and then decided time's a wasting. Sort of the opposite of OMY, I guess. OLY, you might say.
Nice call, Methos1979! Time's a-wasting :D Welcome to the Retirement Roll Call and this Awesome Retirement Class of 2022!

Hope you have all your paperwork in order to fly out the door - you only have 3 weeks until you plug the plug!

I guess your finances are in order :mrgreen: but what about the emotional side of retiring together and beginning a new way of living? We wish you all the best in your retirement, all good things for a long happy new adventure.
Thanks, Miriam! Yesterday was my last day! BOOM - DONE! In truth, it was a bit anticlimactic probably because I'd been working towards it for so long and also gave a longer-ish amount of notice (2 months). But I am sitting here with a relatively peaceful feeling. My wife is at work right now for what is her last day.

As for being prepared, we're as prepared as we can be. Financially we've got our ducks in a row although there are still a few things left to do because I need to wait until the final checks are deposited. Nothing too big, just moving the company HSA over to Fidelity where I have everything else. I'm also planning on doing a large-ish Roth conversion to have access to more money should the need arise without tripping our ACA limits.

As for the emotional side of retiring together, we're as prepared as we can be for that, as well. We get along very well and we're each other's best friend and we do lots of things together. Most of our hobbies are things we do together anyway. We both understand that it will take a bit of time to 'learn' to be retired and filling up our days with fun things to do and not get bored. Neither of us will miss working, that is for sure.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Methos1979 wrote: . . . Thanks, Miriam! Yesterday was my last day! BOOM - DONE! In truth, it was a bit anticlimactic probably because I'd been working towards it for so long and also gave a longer-ish amount of notice (2 months). But I am sitting here with a relatively peaceful feeling. My wife is at work right now for what is her last day.

As for being prepared, we're as prepared as we can be. Financially we've got our ducks in a row although there are still a few things left to do because I need to wait until the final checks are deposited. Nothing too big, just moving the company HSA over to Fidelity where I have everything else. I'm also planning on doing a large-ish Roth conversion to have access to more money should the need arise without tripping our ACA limits.

As for the emotional side of retiring together, we're as prepared as we can be for that, as well. We get along very well and we're each other's best friend and we do lots of things together. Most of our hobbies are things we do together anyway. We both understand that it will take a bit of time to 'learn' to be retired and filling up our days with fun things to do and not get bored. Neither of us will miss working, that is for sure.
Thanks so much for sharing your description of your last days of work before retiring - and for sharing your retirement plans :happy
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

averagedude wrote: April 1, 2022 at age 52 if everything is looking good. This means that my health is good, no workers comp injury, no major bear market, no major wars, and no black swan events that I haven't thought of. I'm figuring 85% probability.
85% probability sounds good enough! You're on the Most Highly Respected Retirement Roll Call and a member of the Class of 2022 :D Get all your papers in order because before you know it, it's punch-out time.

We wish you continued good health and no worker's comp injuries, or any injuries for that matter, no major bear markets - just enough to buy on the dips, heh heh - no major wars or any wars of any kind no way no how - and no black swan events that you haven't thought of :happy

What black swan events have you thought of? Please share!

Let us know what your retirement plans are. We hope everything turns out splendid and that you enjoy this new time of life :beer
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

deserat wrote: Count me in - will be giving notice in March for an effective date of retirement meaning for me no longer being an employee and only doing interesting consulting jobs when I want to to keep my brain functioning. I will be living off my investments until my Reserve pension starts in 2024. Already have plans to follow around a favorite band on the US tour starting the Saturday of my first retired weekend. Will be moving back to USA, buying a car and a house...lots of stuff to do.
Fun retirement plans! :musical_note: We wish you all the best 8-) Thank you for sharing your glidepath into retirement.
deserat wrote:So many people to thank for getting here: Terhorst (You Can Retire at 35), Kaderlis, Tightwad Gazette, Millionaire Next Door, Clements ("I'm long on tuna fish and short on toilet paper"), Index Funds, Boglehead community, VPW, RPM, Early Retirement Forum, Doug Nordman, REWahoo, and decision to stay in the Air Force Reserves while still working at a full-time career (nice pension and healthcare benefits at age 60). I've had highly loaded mutual funds (USPA & IRA and another fund that ended up paying the broker more than me :-( ) and migrated to index funds riding many market ups and downs (1989, Dot Com bust, 2008, COVID) but always doing my best to save the maximum (and then some) I could in tax deferred and Roth vehicles as well as after tax, just staying the course. I've run every model there is to see if I can retire with as much as or more of a spending lifestyle than I have now as well as consulted several financial planners.
Wow, you certainly did your homework and read the best! Nords is very helpful.
deserat wrote:So, it is time. I have so looked forward to this decision. I've wanted to retire early since my late 20s; I had gotten there in my early 50s, but went back to work due to some personal setbacks. I will be just 58 (birthday in mid-March) when I am done, done, done with work :-). (I'm mentally there already - heh).
Wonderful! We're very happy for you and wish you a good, long, healthy, enjoyable retirement, lots of fun and laughs, lots of good times and new experiences with the open road ahead of you. Please let us know how everything goes :D
D Newton

Post by D Newton »

Miriam,
I'm in!! I am joining the ranks of the retired. I notified HR last month that January 2022 will be the end.

Age 65
Wife 58

Relieved and excited, but 'tinged' with a bit of trepidation. I have never not worked, but now I am looking forward to traveling with my wife and dogs in our RV; we have trips planned nearly each month beginning in February; and in between traveling working on my guitar and golf skills, or lack thereof. The advice provided on this forum, however, has given me the confidence to know we'll be fine.

Thank you all. :sharebeer
Regards, | Doug
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

MikeWillRetire wrote: I'm in. July 1, 2022 on my 60th birthday! (fingers crossed)
My wife and I have not travelled much, so that will change in retirement. Really looking forward to it!
I guess I will have to figure out how to change my user name from MikeWillRetire to MikeDidRetire.....
Haha! LadyGeek to the rescue! But to avoid any bad karma, don't change your user name until July 2, 2022 :mrgreen:

You're on this Fabulous Retirement Roll Call and a welcome member of the Class of 2022 :D

Please share your retirement glide path with us - and let us know where you're going in your travels!
bad1bill

Post by bad1bill »

I'm done as of Jan 2, 2022. I am 70 and DW is 66. She retired about a year ago.

Been working for the same tourism-related company for 40+ years and have loved my career. I will miss many aspects and friends I have made over the years. But the time is right to move on to the next adventure.

My first thought was to ski as many days as possible but conditions had been poor here in Colorado so I was bummed about that, however, Yahweh took pity on me and dumped a lot of snow in our state the last few days with more to come. So that's first on the list as the resorts clear out after Xmas break....

Plan on riding my mountain bike more, getting the Jeep out to the Colorado high country (and Utah and Arizona and Nevada, etc.) in the summer and working on the little Americana acoustic band I'm in (we played 40 dates in 2021 so we're already doing decently...)

In other words, my plate is already full and I'm excited!

Thanks to the many members on this forum who have provided excellent advice as I approach this milestone.