Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
novemberrain

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by novemberrain »

:sharebeer
Last edited by novemberrain on Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
familythriftmd

Post by familythriftmd »

Stinky wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:06 am
familythriftmd wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:52 am Back to broke! (assets minus medical school debt) :happy
I assume you were negative before? :confused

If so, your move back to "broke" is a positive! Congratulations. And best of luck in paying down your medical school debt (quickly, I hope).
Sorry, yes I was liabilities > assets. Will do public service loan forgiveness but aggressively save in parallel.
bigriverexpress

Post by bigriverexpress »

[Long time listener, first time caller]

In our early 30's with two kids under 2, my wife and I have reached $890k ($750k liquid and $140k home equity).

I'm becoming aware of the need to remind myself to be proud of where we are as the inevitable "next" goal/barrier/concern always creates tunnel vision. Five years ago me would be ecstatic with our progress and "success" at this point. The battle of perspective and harvesting satisfaction on the journey becomes the objective.

Can we stay off the hedonic treadmill and remain satisfied with our perfectly comfortable home and lifestyle?
How will I pull back from the financial optimizing and redirect time/money/emotional energy to family and self?
What does financial "growth" look like in my future - more zeroes in the brokerage accounts? A spacious home offering more luxury and comfort? Land for my family roam?

I look forward to exploring these questions and thank every member of this forum for the immeasurable impact on my motivation, education, perspective.
luminous

Post by luminous »

bigriverexpress wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:36 am [Long time listener, first time caller]

In our early 30's with two kids under 2, my wife and I have reached $890k ($750k liquid and $140k home equity).

I'm becoming aware of the need to remind myself to be proud of where we are as the inevitable "next" goal/barrier/concern always creates tunnel vision. Five years ago me would be ecstatic with our progress and "success" at this point. The battle of perspective and harvesting satisfaction on the journey becomes the objective.

Can we stay off the hedonic treadmill and remain satisfied with our perfectly comfortable home and lifestyle?
How will I pull back from the financial optimizing and redirect time/money/emotional energy to family and self?
What does financial "growth" look like in my future - more zeroes in the brokerage accounts? A spacious home offering more luxury and comfort? Land for my family roam?

I look forward to exploring these questions and thank every member of this forum for the immeasurable impact on my motivation, education, perspective.
Congratulations! That is some fantastic savings success. Sounds like you are asking yourself all the right and tough questions. The hedonic treadmill is definitely one I struggle with as well. Welcome to the forum.
67/12/21 US stock/international stock/bonds. Bonds capped at 10x annual spending. Semi-retired as of 2022.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

bigriverexpress wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:36 am [Long time listener, first time caller]

Welcome to the Forum!

You’ve doing great! Being in your early 30s with a net worth approaching $1 million is fantastic. You’re clearly living below your income.

I’d encourage you to post your portfolio and financial situation using the prescribed format. You’ll get a lot of good feedback from smart, thoughtful folks. They’ll be able to help you level-set and chart a path forward.

I’d also encourage you to focus on your family. With a wife and two kids under 2, you definitely have your hands full. These early years are developmentally important for your kids, and I’d hate to see you over-work or over-focus on your finances to the detriment of your family. Many years ago, we had three children under age 2, and I understand and can relate to what you must be feeling. Focus on the family - you won’t regret it.

Again, congratulations on your financial success.
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
QuietYurMind

Post by QuietYurMind »

Hello Everyone,
First time posting as a Boglehead. Before posting my milestone, I'd like to thank the group for hours of informative and entertaining reading. When I found this site, I was amazed at the wide range of topics discussed here. So much good information.

Anyway, on to the milestone.
DW and I sold our RV yesterday and that put our savings and investments over 1 million for the first time ever.
We are both 55, so it was not a quick journey, but it sure felt good to get there. It's really just a number that doesn't mean much without the context of spending, but I can tell you that when we married over 30 years ago , we never thought we would see this day.

So we logged the number in our finance book and immediately transferred enough $ to payoff our home, land, and a small car loan.
Now we are no longer millionaires :oops:
Back down to $930K, but we should re-reach the goal soon. Now that we are out of debt and still working, our monthly expenses are $2700 while our gross income is $13,750.

Next step is to start allocating $ towards equities and find an asset allocation we can both live with going forward.

Take Care Bogleheads.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Welcome to the forum :D .

QuietYurMind wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:22 pm . . . . .
DW and I sold our RV yesterday and that put our savings and investments over 1 million for the first time ever.
. . . . .
So we logged the number in our finance book and immediately transferred enough $ to payoff our home, land, and a small car loan.

Back down to $930K, but we should re-reach the goal soon. Now that we are out of debt and still working, our monthly expenses are $2700 while our gross income is $13,750.
. . . ..
Congratulations on joining the two comma club, even if only temporarily.

Congratulations on paying off your debt.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

ruralavalon wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:01 pm Welcome to the forum :D .

QuietYurMind wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:22 pm . . . . .
. . . . .

. . . ..
Congratulations on joining the two comma club, even if only temporarily.

Congratulations on paying off your debt.
Ditto.

Welcome.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
Silversides

Post by Silversides »

(This entire year has been a milestone for me behaviorally-speaking. Until recently, I literally didn't know what 90% of the following list even meant!)

Bogleheads,

Its been a busy year since joining the forum and I stop here daily for a drink of the Kool-Aid!

Here's the back of my baseball card so far... all thanks to you:

- Added tax and fee efficient ETFs to taxable (VTI, VUXS) while exiting a mish mosh of ill-advised, pre-Boglehead equities and mutual funds
- Set up Treasury Direct for emergency fund; taxable as EF had become too large, risky and lacked clear intent (effectively all 'funny money')
- Will perform my first tax loss harvest (TLH) this year per the above
- Dropped wife's high-ER TDFs in favor of low-cost Vanguard & Fidelity index funds and mirrored the TDF AAs (~ 70 bps savings x2 accounts)
- Removed Bonds from 2x Roth accounts to maximize long term, tax-free growth (upped pre-tax account bond mix to keep AA in check)
- Got library app and listened to a dozen FREE audiobooks: Larimore, Lindauer, Ferri, Zweig, Malkiel, Bogle, Bernstein, Clements, etc.
- Upped wife's 403(b) contributions to the max ("until it hurts")
- Upped contributions to 2x Roth accounts after a long dry spell ("until it hurts")
- Stopped contributing to 529s (optimizing investment sequence.. hope to restart with future pay raises)
- Contacted estate attorney to complete long-overdue will & trust
- Finally read and understand my workplace pension plan literature and how it will impact my portfolio needs (as they are today)
- Opened Fidelity cash management account & 2% rewards card for fee-less cash withdraws overseas and true 'one stop shopping'
- All income, expenses, assets & liabilities now in Mint for tracking on the app (we don't follow a budget but do LBYM)
- Built detailed rebalancing spreadsheet to monitor risk across accounts and direct moves ('stay the course', 'nobody knows nothing')
- Best for last: Wrote a simple IPS

Surely there's more but you get the idea...

With gratitude,
Silversides
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Silversides wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:02 am (This entire year has been a milestone for me behaviorally-speaking. Until recently, I literally didn't know what 90% of the following list even meant!)

Bogleheads,

Its been a busy year since joining the forum and I stop here daily for a drink of the Kool-Aid!

- Added tax and fee efficient ETFs to taxable (VTI, VUXS) while exiting a mish mosh of ill-advised, pre-Boglehead equities and mutual funds
- Set up Treasury Direct for emergency fund; taxable as EF had become too large, risky and lacked clear intent (effectively all 'funny money')
- Will perform my first tax loss harvest (TLH) this year per the above
- Dropped wife's high-ER TDFs in favor of low-cost Vanguard & Fidelity index funds and mirrored the TDF AAs (~ 70 bps savings x2 accounts)
- Removed Bonds from 2x Roth accounts to maximize long term, tax-free growth (upped pre-tax account bond mix to keep AA in check)
- Got library app and listened to a dozen FREE audiobooks: Larimore, Lindauer, Ferri, Zweig, Malkiel, Bogle, Bernstein, Clements, etc.
- Upped wife's 403(b) contributions to the max ("until it hurts")
- Upped contributions to 2x Roth accounts after a long dry spell ("until it hurts")
- Stopped contributing to 529s (optimizing investment sequence.. hope to restart with future pay raises)
- Contacted estate attorney to complete long-overdue will & trust
- Finally read and understand my workplace pension plan literature and how it will impact my portfolio needs (as they are today)
- Opened Fidelity cash management account & 2% rewards card for fee-less cash withdraws overseas and true 'one stop shopping'
- All income, expenses, assets & liabilities now in Mint for tracking on the app (we don't follow a budget but do LBYM)
- Built detailed rebalancing spreadsheet to monitor risk across accounts and direct moves ('stay the course', 'nobody knows nothing')
- Best for last: Wrote a simple IPS

Surely there's more but you get the idea...

With gratitude,
Silversides
It sounds like you’ve had an absolutely great year, financially speaking.

Congratulations on all the very positive steps that you’ve taken.

Keep visiting and learning from the Forum.
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Silversides wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:02 am (This entire year has been a milestone for me behaviorally-speaking. Until recently, I literally didn't know what 90% of the following list even meant!)

Bogleheads,

. . . . .
Congratulations, that is outstanding progress :D .

Stay the course.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
Whakamole

Post by Whakamole »

NW broke through $2.5M yesterday, all in investments. NW has been on an absolute tear recently, the only good thing over the past year or so. I don't live on much, so if I continued to subsist on current standard of living and didn't take many trips, the finances for ER work now. Not doing it yet, since pay is very good and travel is very difficult. Hopefully in the next few years.

I'm two paychecks from filling up my 401(k) - tax-deferred, catchup (eligible this year!), and mega backdoor - IRA, HSA, and maximum I-bonds through a personal account and trust. Including corporate match, that's $95K. Whew! :shock:
Wannaretireearly

Post by Wannaretireearly »

Whakamole wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:27 pm NW broke through $2.5M yesterday, all in investments. NW has been on an absolute tear recently, the only good thing over the past year or so. I don't live on much, so if I continued to subsist on current standard of living and didn't take many trips, the finances for ER work now. Not doing it yet, since pay is very good and travel is very difficult. Hopefully in the next few years.

I'm two paychecks from filling up my 401(k) - tax-deferred, catchup (eligible this year!), and mega backdoor - IRA, HSA, and maximum I-bonds through a personal account and trust. Including corporate match, that's $95K. Whew! :shock:
Nice job! $95k savings is huge 👌
“At some point you are trading time you will never get back for money you will never spend.“ | “How do you want to spend the best remaining year of your life?“
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

Whakamole wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:27 pm NW broke through $2.5M yesterday, all in investments. NW has been on an absolute tear recently, the only good thing over the past year or so. I don't live on much, so if I continued to subsist on current standard of living and didn't take many trips, the finances for ER work now. Not doing it yet, since pay is very good and travel is very difficult. Hopefully in the next few years.

You’re killing it! Great job!
AnonJohn

Post by AnonJohn »

Paid off the mortgage yesterday! 9 years, 11 months, and 15 days in. Plus 3 refinances.

The culmination of a 4 year plan. First, to accumulate enough assets that I could pay it off quickly. With the plunge in bond rates over the past year I accelerated things (I view negative bonds as a useful concept for quantifying risk and couldn't find attractive refinancing). Then I took a 401k loan to do some interest rate (bond) arbitrage and now ... it's gone! :sharebeer

I still have the 401k loan, but that's a loan to myself, so I'm willing to celebrate. Thanks to BH for all the wisdom along the way. I listened to both the "Pay it off, feels great" people AND those who cautioned about the importance of liquidity and the merits of holding a low-rate mortgage. Both perspectives are valid, and were helpful to me.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

AnonJohn wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:47 pm Paid off the mortgage yesterday! 9 years, 11 months, and 15 days in. Plus 3 refinances.

The culmination of a 4 year plan. First, to accumulate enough assets that I could pay it off quickly. With the plunge in bond rates over the past year I accelerated things (I view negative bonds as a useful concept for quantifying risk and couldn't find attractive refinancing). Then I took a 401k loan to do some interest rate (bond) arbitrage and now ... it's gone! :sharebeer

I still have the 401k loan, but that's a loan to myself, so I'm willing to celebrate. Thanks to BH for all the wisdom along the way. I listened to both the "Pay it off, feels great" people AND those who cautioned about the importance of liquidity and the merits of holding a low-rate mortgage. Both perspectives are valid, and were helpful to me.
Congratulations! That’s a big accomplishment!
AnonJohn

Post by AnonJohn »

Stinky wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:36 pm
AnonJohn wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:47 pm Paid off the mortgage yesterday! 9 years, 11 months, and 15 days in. Plus 3 refinances.

Congratulations! That’s a big accomplishment!
Thanks! :sharebeer
dboeger1

Post by dboeger1 »

Just hit $850k net worth today at age 30, spouse 28. It's a fairly arbitrary milestone and I would have waited until $900k except that our first baby is due in 2 months and I don't think we'll quite reach that by then given we have some home projects and other expenses planned. Regardless, I'm pretty happy about our finances. I did not go into my 20s very optimistic about money, and I would have thought it highly unlikely that we'd reach this point so early, especially given that we didn't always make optimal decisions.
gonefishing01

Post by gonefishing01 »

dboeger1 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:41 pm Just hit $850k net worth today at age 30, spouse 28. It's a fairly arbitrary milestone and I would have waited until $900k except that our first baby is due in 2 months and I don't think we'll quite reach that by then given we have some home projects and other expenses planned. Regardless, I'm pretty happy about our finances. I did not go into my 20s very optimistic about money, and I would have thought it highly unlikely that we'd reach this point so early, especially given that we didn't always make optimal decisions.
That is an incredible achievement at age 30! Congratulations! You’ve planted a big seed for compounding to do its work on.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

dboeger1 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:41 pm Just hit $850k net worth today at age 30, spouse 28. It's a fairly arbitrary milestone and I would have waited until $900k except that our first baby is due in 2 months and I don't think we'll quite reach that by then given we have some home projects and other expenses planned. Regardless, I'm pretty happy about our finances. I did not go into my 20s very optimistic about money, and I would have thought it highly unlikely that we'd reach this point so early, especially given that we didn't always make optimal decisions.

Congratulations on your first baby due in 2 months :D , and on that other milestone.
ClaycordJCA

Post by ClaycordJCA »

I check DW’s and my investments the first of every month. Yesterday was my first day of retirement. We are entering retirement with $3.7M, albeit in a HCOL area. Still debating whether it makes sense to pay off the mortgage since we will downsize within the next 5 years or so and the monthly payment is only $1300.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

ClaycordJCA wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:53 am I check DW’s and my investments the first of every month. Yesterday was my first day of retirement. We are entering retirement with $3.7M, albeit in a HCOL area. Still debating whether it makes sense to pay off the mortgage since we will downsize within the next 5 years or so and the monthly payment is only $1300.
Congratulations on your retirement yesterday :) .

I don't have advice on what to do with your mortgage note if downsizing in a few years. (We love being debt free. But I don't live in a high cost of living area, and don't know your interest rate or remaining balance.)
ClaycordJCA

Post by ClaycordJCA »

ruralavalon wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:00 pm
ClaycordJCA wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:53 am I check DW’s and my investments the first of every month. Yesterday was my first day of retirement. We are entering retirement with $3.7M, albeit in a HCOL area. Still debating whether it makes sense to pay off the mortgage since we will downsize within the next 5 years or so and the monthly payment is only $1300.

I don't have advice on what to do with your mortgage note if downsizing in a few years. (We love being debt free. But I don't live in a high cost of living area, and don't know your interest rate or remaining balance.)
Thank you. $299k at 3%. Currently, $750 or so of the payment goes toward interest.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

ClaycordJCA wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:15 pm
ruralavalon wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:00 pm

Thank you. $299k at 3%. Currently, $750 or so of the payment goes toward interest.
You might be able to refinance with to a lower interest rate, or recast the mortgage by paying off some of the principal.

Not being in high cost of living area, and not knowing your other financial details like portfolio withdrawal rate, I still can't make a recommendation.
abat.rama

Post by abat.rama »

Last edited by abat.rama on Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

abat.rama wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:12 am Here is one from me.
One of my accounts, which is by far the largest, added a second comma yesterday evening.
$1 million in your account. That’s wonderful.

Congratulations!
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

abat.rama wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:12 am Here is one from me.
One of my accounts, which is by far the largest, added a second comma yesterday evening.
Congratulations :) .
Boilermaker10

Post by Boilermaker10 »

Crossed 1 million in net worth last month! 26 years old and married. Goal in college was to do it by 29 years old (wanted to do it before 30).

First million is supposed to be the hardest, new goal is 10 million by 35
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Boilermaker10 wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:13 am Crossed 1 million in net worth last month! 26 years old and married. Goal in college was to do it by 29 years old (wanted to do it before 30).

First million is supposed to be the hardest, new goal is 10 million by 35
Achieving $1 million NW at age 26 is very impressive. Congratulations!

Accumulating $9 million more in the next 9 years will require a high income and an exceptional savings rate (or an IPO windfall). Best to you in striving toward that goal.
Boilermaker10

Post by Boilermaker10 »

Won’t be any ipo windfall. Live in LCOL area, self employed and wife has good job. High savings rate and fairly aggressive investment strategy.
abat.rama

Post by abat.rama »

Last edited by abat.rama on Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
PhillyPhan

Post by PhillyPhan »

PhillyPhan wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:34 pm With the rise in the markets today, my wife and I have joined the 2 comma club!

It feels great to cross this milestone after chipping away at it for the last 15 years individually and 3+ years as a married couple.

It is not lost on me how fortunate I have been to have benefited from the long bull market run and steady employment.

Excited to continue our journey while soaking in all that life has to offer. Thank you to all who have provided guidance and advise along the way. I truly believe this site is a game changer and wish my high school teachers and college professors would have referenced it.

Cheers! :sharebeer
With the bull market continuing in 2021 and my spouse and I staying employed, we have reached 1.3 million as of Friday.

:sharebeer :sharebeer
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

PhillyPhan wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:46 pm
PhillyPhan wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:34 pm With the rise in the markets today, my wife and I have joined the 2 comma club!

It feels great to cross this milestone after chipping away at it for the last 15 years individually and 3+ years as a married couple.

It is not lost on me how fortunate I have been to have benefited from the long bull market run and steady employment.

Excited to continue our journey while soaking in all that life has to offer. Thank you to all who have provided guidance and advise along the way. I truly believe this site is a game changer and wish my high school teachers and college professors would have referenced it.

Cheers! :sharebeer
With the bull market continuing in 2021 and my spouse and I staying employed, we have reached 1.3 million as of Friday.

:sharebeer :sharebeer
Congratulations! On your way to 2 million.
Stocks-80% || Bonds-20% || Taxable-VTI/VXUS || IRA-VT/BNDW
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

Just put through the wire to pay off the mortgage, which is the only debt we have left. (A surprisingly convoluted process to get this all taken care of... a fax was involved fer-cryin-out-loud!)

Thanks to all here for the advice and support. On to the next milestone! :sharebeer
"Stay on target! Stay on target!"
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

JupiterJones wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:20 pm Just put through the wire to pay off the mortgage, which is the only debt we have left. (A surprisingly convoluted process to get this all taken care of... a fax was involved fer-cryin-out-loud!)

Thanks to all here for the advice and support. On to the next milestone! :sharebeer

Congratulations on paying off the mortgage and becoming debt free :D
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

JupiterJones wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:20 pm Just put through the wire to pay off the mortgage, which is the only debt we have left. (A surprisingly convoluted process to get this all taken care of... a fax was involved fer-cryin-out-loud!)

There’s no better feeling than knowing that you own your home free and clear.

Congratulations.
jaqenhghar

Post by jaqenhghar »

Congratulations!! :sharebeer
VBHSMOM

Post by VBHSMOM »

angelescrest wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 6:38 am
Stinky wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:11 pm
angelescrest wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 6:36 pm We just crossed into the seven figure space. :shock:

There is a caveat here, however. We just sold our house, and the funds cleared. I wasn't really counting our home value as a part of our net worth since it's a moving target, but we are also not going to be buying a home anytime in the next couple years. So, the :moneybag is ours until we buy again. The home sale proceeds was about 15% of our net worth.

Still, adding up all the numbers across the accounts, and here we are, in a spot I could never have fathomed years ago. Definitely could not have fathomed it when I first logged onto Bogleheads and started asking questions. I had no idea what I was doing. Always wondered who those people were who hit the millionaire status and what they did. We never made a lot of money. I'm not even comfortable using that word--millionaire--in reference to myself. So, I'm not sure how I feel. How am I supposed to feel? Another day, another dollar. But I do think it's important to celebrate milestones, and as I've not told anyone I know, I'm sharing this with all of you. Wish I could sit down with a few of you in person to reflect, and buy you all a round. :beer
Congratulations! And thank you so much for sharing your story.

You can repeat it - you are a millionaire.
Thank you! Thirteen years ago I had $30,000 exactly in my retirement accounts, and tons of school and housing debt from the Great Recession. If I can make it, many Americans can. But of course, this is just a step toward the goal of financial independence and enough money to provide my children a rewarding college education.
How did you do this? I am 37 and have 250K in accounts.
coynerone

Post by coynerone »

Crossed over 1.5 in stocks/bonds and cash.
HCOL with no mortgage and 550 in equity.
Never had high paying jobs. Did it all with RE and sweat equity over the past 28 years. Made some excellent decisions, jumped on opportunities and worked hard.
Our last rental investment property went on the mls today so more coming.

I remember when we put 10k in Vanguard in 1995 and thought that was so great!
This forum has been instrumental in building our knowledge base and confidence.

Thanks all.
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

ruralavalon wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:33 pm Congratulations on paying off the mortgage and becoming debt free :D
Stinky wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:55 pm There’s no better feeling than knowing that you own your home free and clear.

Congratulations.
jaqenhghar wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:07 pm Congratulations!! :sharebeer
Thanks, ruralavalon, Stinky, and jaqenhghar! :beer
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

coynerone wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:27 pm Crossed over 1.5 in stocks/bonds and cash.
HCOL with no mortgage and 550 in equity.
Never had high paying jobs. Did it all with RE and sweat equity over the past 28 years. Made some excellent decisions, jumped on opportunities and worked hard.
Our last rental investment property went on the mls today so more coming.

I remember when we put 10k in Vanguard in 1995 and thought that was so great!
This forum has been instrumental in building our knowledge base and confidence.

Thanks all.
Nice work, congrats!

Yeah, we've kept pretty good records of our finances since marriage, and it's always interesting to see where we used to be back then. Seems so puny now, but it sure seemed like a lot back then. And anyway, everyone has to start with "puny" to get to "not puny"!
as9

Post by as9 »

Got a big raise yesterday that pushed me over $200k income for the first time. This is going to really accelerate our savings and allow for a nice balance between retirement / house projects / vacations, etc.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

as9 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:38 am Got a big raise yesterday that pushed me over $200k income for the first time. This is going to really accelerate our savings and allow for a nice balance between retirement / house projects / vacations, etc.
Congratulations on your raise :) .
Onlineid3089

Post by Onlineid3089 »

as9 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:38 am Got a big raise yesterday that pushed me over $200k income for the first time. This is going to really accelerate our savings and allow for a nice balance between retirement / house projects / vacations, etc.
Nice :sharebeer

Did you have to switch jobs to get it, or were you able to get the big bump in your existing position?
as9

Post by as9 »

Onlineid3089 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:00 pm
Nice :sharebeer

Did you have to switch jobs to get it, or were you able to get the big bump in your existing position?
Same job, but had a competing offer. Got a nice new title too.
L84SUPR

Completed our first Roth conversion!

Post by L84SUPR »

More like a trailhead than a milestone but well begun is half done, right. Conversion was about 0.015 percent of total assets invested. May not seem like much but just understanding how conversions fit into our retirement plans and getting set up to do the conversions was a big step for me.
1/3rd VTWAX, 1/3rd Wellington, 1/3rd G Fund | All models are wrong. Some are useful.
A-Commoner

Post by A-Commoner »

Have you guys tried calculating the rate of increase of your net worth from since you started investing? For kicks, I did that today, starting from when I was a medical resident 25 years ago. I’m getting a 27% annualized return. This of course includes contributions on top of the actual investment returns….aka…the Beardstown Ladies brand of arithmetic. Still, I thought it was cool to see net worth far outpace inflation over the past 25 years. Net worth is net worth, so to my mind the end result is no less valid, even if not attained purely by investment growth.
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

A-Commoner wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:18 pm Have you guys tried calculating the rate of increase of your net worth from since you started investing? For kicks, I did that today, starting from when I was a medical resident 25 years ago. I’m getting a 27% annualized return. This of course includes contributions on top of the actual investment returns….aka…the Beardstown Ladies brand of arithmetic. Still, I thought it was cool to see net worth far outpace inflation over the past 25 years. Net worth is net worth, so to my mind the end result is no less valid, even if not attained purely by investment growth.
A commoner

Yes I did that with using

Historical contribution limits on IRA https://dqydj.com/historical-ira-contribution-limit/

Historical contribution limits on 401, 403b, & 457 https://dqydj.com/historical-401k-contr ... %20rows%20

Here is my break down using SSA earnings from its website I was able to figure out my average annualized rate of return based with present portfolio balance.

this is on my profile

https://imgur.com/a/Gi5VKcO

average annual rate of return for 34 years 7.5% on 2.6 million portfolio

my net worth is 3 million plus
novemberrain

Post by novemberrain »

Last edited by novemberrain on Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ed 2

Post by Ed 2 »

How about negative milestones? Or we need new thread for this?
Today I discovered the negative milestone in my portfolio -80k for the month of September! Weeee
"The fund industry doesn't have a lot of heroes, but he (Bogle) is one of them," Russ Kinnel