New Orange County, CA Local Chapter established

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Big Dog

Re: New Orange County, CA Local Chapter established

Post by Big Dog »

sry, don't have a rec for an attny but just went thru this when my dad passed, and it is a simple process in CA for small estates and "friendly" beneficiaries. Unless either Trustee is listed as a co-owner on the bank account, or ToD beneficiary, the bank will freeze it once you tell them that wife's mother passed. They'll need to open a bank account under teh name of the Trust and tax ID. But its a catch-22, Trustees can't open a Trust bank account until the death cert is presented. They'll also need a tax ID for the Trust, but that can be applied for online with the IRS. Once they have a certified death cert, they can take a copy of the Trust to a bank/credit union and open an account under the Trust name. In the meantime, they could pay for final funeral expenses out of pocket and reimburse themselves. Doctors and credit cards can wait until they get a Trust bank account to pay bills. Just tell them to keep good records.

They'll need to file a copy of the final will with the county.

If her assets are <$166k, she qualifies for a simplified probate.

https://www.courts.ca.gov/documents/Aff ... operty.pdf

Suggest that they order a couple of relevant books from Nolo Press -- Trust and Probate. Even if they decide to use an attny, coming up to speed on the jargon and rules could be helpful.

https://store.nolo.com/products/how-to- ... a-pae.html

https://store.nolo.com/products/the-exe ... -exec.html
Last edited by Big Dog on Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
harrychan

Post by harrychan »

ChiKid24 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:26 pm Hey all. Anyone in this group have a recommendation for a post-death lawyer to guide us through the estate process? My wife's mother passed this weekend and I've been asked to research options. She has a mid-6 figure estate and had a trust and will created many years ago with her two daughters (my wife and her sister) as trustees and executors, though both have since married and changed their last names.

Her assets are basically located in a savings account at one bank and a checking account at another. No investments, no real estate. She was self-employed though not earning much near the end. She was receiving SS/Disability due to her condition (terminal cancer).

I think this should be relatively simple given the limited complexity, so don't want to pay thousands in legal fees for an estate that isn't super big. Most immediately her daughters want to figure out how to pay some of her final expenses (funeral services, doctors bills, rent, car lease). They both had POA and access to her accounts pre-death (POA terminates at death). They were doing her finances for her as her health deteriorated. They could easily continue paying from those accounts and/or their mother's credit card. I've advised them not to do that, but rather to front the costs out of their own money and seek recovery once things are wrapped up.

Would be great for a recommendation if anyone in the OC has gone through this recently.

Thanks in advance!
So sorry to hear of your loss. I have someone in mind. Will PM you.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.
ocdaniel

Post by ocdaniel »

Hi Orange County (and other nearby) Bogleheads -

My apologies for being behind schedule, but summer has flown by! Our next virtual meeting will be on Sat Sep 18th, 10amPT. To start the conversation, we can discuss the latest Bogle Center sponsored podcast, regarding elder financial abuse. Here are the links to forum discussions for Episode 36, and the link to the podcasts here. There is also a written transcripts for Episode 36. Details:

Episode 36: Lisa Bragança, host Rick Ferri.
Lisa Bragança, JD, MBA, is a former Branch Chief in the Division of Enforcement of the Chicago Office of the Securities & Exchange Commission. She handled investigations of accounting fraud, Ponzi schemes, insider trading, churning, and unsuitable investments. Today, Lisa is now in private practice at Bragança Law.

Throughout her career, Lisa has been an advocate for the rights of people with physical, cognitive, and psychiatric disabilities. She previously served as counsel in three statewide class actions seeking to compel the State of Illinois to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act. She also regularly speaks about elder financial exploitation, securities regulation, recovering investment losses, and cryptocurrency.

Afterwards, we can hold our standard roundtable for attendees to have Q&A as well as share our collective learnings / experiences etc.

I'll send out virtual meeting info the week of the event. Let me know if you have any questions in the meanwhile.

Thanks!
Daniel
trexdaddy

Post by trexdaddy »

Just moving to OC. I would love to join the OC family.
tesuzuki2002

Post by tesuzuki2002 »

trexdaddy wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:08 am Just moving to OC. I would love to join the OC family.
Welcome. This group seems to be pretty quiet... or I've been out of the loop. I'm fairly new to Lake Forest. Moved here about 6 months ago.

Where are you coming from?
ocdaniel

Post by ocdaniel »

Hi Orange County Bogleheads,

The IRWD has reopened its meeting room reservations, so it would be great to see everyone live again! Our next meeting will be on Thu April 21, 6pm at the IRWD Community Meeting Room in Irvine.

I know we'll miss having our virtual members attend, but I've had mixed experiences with hybrid meetings, so how about we alternate live / virtual instead and see if that better balances the benefits of both meeting types.

For agenda, I propose we keep it light and start with general catch up over drinks followed by our roundtable Q&A. I'll bring a few beverages to share (non-alcoholic per IRWD rules).

It would also be good to see who would be interested in taking over leading our chapter and coordinating future Orange County Bogleheads meetings. I've obviously been slipping in terms of keeping these meetings regularly scheduled, and it would be great to get some new blood to keep this going.

If you'd like an email reminder of the event or map of the location, please email OCBogleheads@gmail.com.

Thanks,
Daniel

IRWD required disclaimer: Irvine Ranch Water District makes its facilities available for use by residents and non-profit organizations merely as a public service, but does not, by allowing this use, endorse or support the purpose of the event or its sponsor.
ocdaniel

Post by ocdaniel »

Hi all - as a reminder, our next meeting for the Orange County Bogleheads is this Thursday Apr 21 6pm at the IRWD Community Room in Irvine, per our previous post. We hope to see you there!

Best,
Daniel
Pullupking214

Post by Pullupking214 »

Hi Daniel,

I'll send an email to the address above. Just moved to Newport Beach recently. I'm hoping to be an active member of the Orange County Bogleheads.

Thank you,
Pullupking214
Pullupking214

Post by Pullupking214 »

Actually I've sent an email to this address before and no one responded. Would you mind including me in chapter communications going forward- ashiva2010@gmail.com
catchinup

Post by catchinup »

ocdaniel wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:13 pm Hi Orange County (and other nearby) Bogleheads -

My apologies for being behind schedule, but summer has flown by! Our next virtual meeting will be on Sat Sep 18th, 10amPT. To start the conversation, we can discuss the latest Bogle Center sponsored podcast, regarding elder financial abuse. Here are the links to forum discussions for Episode 36, and the link to the podcasts here. There is also a written transcripts for Episode 36. Details:

Lisa Bragança, JD, MBA, is a former Branch Chief in the Division of Enforcement of the Chicago Office of the Securities & Exchange Commission. She handled investigations of accounting fraud, Ponzi schemes, insider trading, churning, and unsuitable investments. Today, Lisa is now in private practice at Bragança Law.

Throughout her career, Lisa has been an advocate for the rights of people with physical, cognitive, and psychiatric disabilities. She previously served as counsel in three statewide class actions seeking to compel the State of Illinois to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act. She also regularly speaks about elder financial exploitation, securities regulation, recovering investment losses, and cryptocurrency.

Afterwards, we can hold our standard roundtable for attendees to have Q&A as well as share our collective learnings / experiences etc.

I'll send out virtual meeting info the week of the event. Let me know if you have any questions in the meanwhile.

Thanks!
Daniel
Hi are any new meetings happening? I'm in Los Angeles but since the LA Chapter seems dead, I'd be willing to drive down to OC. 6 pm is a bit early for me to get down there after work however. Daniel, I did notice see your post here is about a past virtual meeting. I would attend something like that but would really appreciate meeting people in person if possible.
sschullo

Post by sschullo »

catchinup wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:00 pm
ocdaniel wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:13 pm Hi Orange County (and other nearby) Bogleheads -

Thanks!
Daniel
Hi are any new meetings happening? I'm in Los Angeles but since the LA Chapter seems dead, I'd be willing to drive down to OC. 6 pm is a bit early for me to get down there after work however. Daniel, I did notice see your post here is about a past virtual meeting. I would attend something like that but would really appreciate meeting people in person if possible.
Hi
Daniel said that he offered the lead to somebody else. So for now, we don't have a coordinator. Does anybody want to step forward? I live in Long Beach and could attend either OC or LA.
Never in the history of market day-traders’ has the obsession with so much massive, sophisticated, & powerful statistical machinery used by the brightest people on earth with such useless results.
3 putter

Post by 3 putter »

If anyone is still monitoring this I would like to get involved. I’m in the Irvine/Newport Area.
tman389

Post by tman389 »

I'd be interested in attending also. I'm in Lake Forest.
tesuzuki2002

Post by tesuzuki2002 »

tman389 wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:43 am I'd be interested in attending also. I'm in Lake Forest.
+1 for lake Forest!!!
learning30

Post by learning30 »

I'm in Dana Point. Do you all want to set something up or are there already active meetings out here?
tj

Post by tj »

learning30 wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 2:53 pm I'm in Dana Point. Do you all want to set something up or are there already active meetings out here?
Hey neighbor. I'm in San Clemente.
learning30

Post by learning30 »

tj wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 3:10 pm
learning30 wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 2:53 pm I'm in Dana Point. Do you all want to set something up or are there already active meetings out here?
Get out. Are there ever any meetings out here? I'm relatively new to Dana Point - been here like a year now.
tj

Post by tj »

learning30 wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 6:42 pm
tj wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 3:10 pm
Get out. Are there ever any meetings out here? I'm relatively new to Dana Point - been here like a year now.
I doubt it. I moved here 3 months ago, though I grew up in OC
trexdaddy

Post by trexdaddy »

Any update?