Life-Stage virtual chapters opportunities

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
gailcox

Life-Stage virtual chapters opportunities

Post by gailcox »

This year, the development of 4 new 'virtual' Bogleheads chapters occurred. They are called "Life Stage" Chapters. These 4 chapters focus on investment topics in those life stages. (life stages aren't necessarily based on age of the investor, but more of where you are in your investment journey). Virtual attendance at these Life Stage meetings has been very robust. They are popular and just as we expected, fill a need in the Bogleheads community.

The Life Stages chapters were organized and are being led by Bogleheads, just like you and me. They may not be experts in the finance or investment field, but they have learned something about investing (most likely on the Bogleheads.org forum) and want to pay it forward.

Just as you have learned from the forum, we invite you to join the Life Stage Chapter team to share your knowledge. Each LIfe Stage chapter needs additional support to keep the meetings going. What would this involve? As of now, each Life Stage chapter determines their own schedule--some have virtual meetings monthly or more, others meet quarterly. Each chapter's volunteers may take turns serving as moderator, sifting thru questions as the Zoom meeting is happening, and others develop content and arrange for speakers. As of now, the LIfe Stage chapter coordinators meet with each other every 4-6 weeks to discuss upcoming meetings, strategies, etc.

Life Stage Virtual Chapters
Starting Out
Mid/Career
Pre-Early Retirement
Retirement

Topics discussed are far-reaching, but could include investing and asset allocation, drawdown strategies, IRA's, Roth conversions, saving for college, budgeting, banking, housing choices, healthcare, insurance, etc.

Please contact me if you are interested in serving on the Life Stages team or if you have questions. It's all about the Bogleheads community, helping the Bogleheads community!

You can contact me directly on this forum with a direct message, or shoot me an email at
gcox@bogle.center

Gail

This Calendar of Events will guide you to some of our virtual chapter meetings!
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Life-Stage virtual chapters opportunities

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the US Chapters forum.

(By the member's request, I also fixed the email and blog links.)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

Thank you Gail for posting this!

BTW, for those potentially interested in helping out, you CAN maintain your anonymity, if desired. We're pretty much just using our first names (or BH User Names) for all communication, and we have a separate email group (off the forum) to support all Chapter Coordinators (whether Local or Life Stage).
Retired 2018 | currently ~64/33/3 (partially sliced and diced, with a slowly rising equity glide path)
Topic Author
gailcox

Post by gailcox »

I wish there is a way this post can get more visibility! I feel like this is preaching to the choir.

But alas, I have been astounded by the level of commitment and enthusiasm from those who are in local and virtual chapters.

If you are interested in helping with one of the Life Stage chapters, let me know! I can find a place for you that fits your comfort level.

Gail
gcox@bogle.center
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

We're still looking for additional volunteers to help with the new Life Stage virtual chapters. For those interested, the next organizational (Zoom) meeting will be Mon, July 19, 8 PM (Eastern). See Bogleheads Calendar of Events for link.
Retired 2018 | currently ~64/33/3 (partially sliced and diced, with a slowly rising equity glide path)