Wiki Help

An archive of reference topics and posts (no new posts can be added)
Topic Author
Barry Barnitz
Wiki Admin

Wiki Help

Post by Barry Barnitz »

We will use this topic to handle questions about using the wiki. Do not be concerned if you have questions about how to write and format pages and page contents in the wiki. You can ask your questions here.

The Bogleheads Wiki
Last edited by Barry Barnitz on Thu May 29, 2008 1:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Additional administrative tasks: Financial Page bogleheads.org. blog; finiki the Canadian wiki; The Bogle Center for Financial Literacy site; La Guía Bogleheads® España site.
mikenz

Post by mikenz »

Here is a copy of Barry's post from the old (tangler) forum which I found useful.

Wikitext examples
Help Editing
Help Tables
Help: Images and files
Help: Editor
edge

Wiki Link

Post by edge »

Maybe I am going blind but is the Wiki linked at any of the main pages? (www.diehards.org or the forum main page)

It seems to me that a lot more traffic and contributions would occur if it was linked in more accessible locations.
Edge: The wiki is currently in its beta stage, see the announcement, where it is subject to forum member comment. Once out of beta, Alex will work the Wiki into the diehards.org platform for more convenient access. Barry
PiperWarrior

Post by PiperWarrior »

How do I add a comment to Talk:Blah Blah with a signature like "Ken Schwartz 19:55, 25 May 2008 (EDT)"? When I add a comment, I use "+" on the top tab, but that doesn't leave a signature. I am afraid I am doing something non-standard.
NYCPete

Post by NYCPete »

PiperWarrior wrote:How do I add a comment to Talk:Blah Blah with a signature like "Ken Schwartz 19:55, 25 May 2008 (EDT)"? When I add a comment, I use "+" on the top tab, but that doesn't leave a signature. I am afraid I am doing something non-standard.
Type in four of these ~~~~ at the end of your comment.

I think you can leave more or less info depending on how many you put.

Best,
Peter

P.S. I have no idea what ~ is called! :lol:
To the extent that a fool knows his foolishness, | He may be deemed wise | A fool who considers himself wise | Is indeed a fool. | | Buddha
Olav2

Post by Olav2 »

It is called a "tilde" pronounced like til-duh.

wikipedia says:

From the Latin titulus meaning a title or superscription.

Interesting as well as entertaining! Who knew!
PiperWarrior

Post by PiperWarrior »

NYCPete wrote:Type in four of these ~~~~ at the end of your comment.
Thanks.
NYCPete wrote:P.S. I have no idea what ~ is called! :lol:
I think it's called tilde. See:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Tilde.svg
NYCPete

Post by NYCPete »

Olav2 wrote:It is called a "tilde" pronounced like til-duh.

wikipedia says:

From the Latin titulus meaning a title or superscription.

Interesting as well as entertaining! Who knew!
PiperWarrior wrote:
NYCPete wrote:Type in four of these ~~~~ at the end of your comment.
Thanks.
NYCPete wrote:P.S. I have no idea what ~ is called! :lol:
I think it's called tilde. See:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Tilde.svg
Wow! I learn something new every day!! :D
To the extent that a fool knows his foolishness, | He may be deemed wise | A fool who considers himself wise | Is indeed a fool. | | Buddha
CyberBob

Post by CyberBob »

Another helpful tip for talk pages is that if you are responding to a comment directly above yours, use colons to indent. It makes the discussion page much more readable.

See Help:Talk_page#Formatting for an example.

Bob
PiperWarrior

Post by PiperWarrior »

Thanks!
tfb

Post by tfb »

Can we install the Cite extension for footnotes?

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Footnotes
Harry Sit has left the forums.
xenial

Post by xenial »

tfb wrote:Can we install the Cite extension for footnotes?

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Footnotes
tfb, that's been attempted already. Here are Alex's comments from a private subforum. (I'm confident he won't mind my reproducing them, because they're obviously not sensitive.)
Alex Frakt wrote:Footnotes (Cite extension) - I couldn't get it to work, so I turned it over to Larry. He couldn't get it to work either. It's a complex program and we aren't in a position to debug it. Frankly after reviewing the code, I'm not sure we would want to use it even if it did work, it adds a lot of processing overhead for something that's a very questionable advantage in a hypertext document. Bottom line - use inline cites.
CyberBob

Links and See also sections

Post by CyberBob »

Any particular policy or trend in the use of Links and See also sections on article pages?
Wiki style generally uses the Links section for outside links to other websites, whereas something in the See also section is an internal link to another related wiki page.
I've noticed some pages are using these sections interchangeably. Is that a trend we should go with, or just an occasional categorization typo?

Bob
Topic Author
Barry Barnitz
Wiki Admin

nice point Bob:

Post by Barry Barnitz »

Hi:

I think this is a nice point for consistency. Setting up a "see also" heading for internal wiki links, and a "links" header for outside links seems the best way to go.

regards,
Additional administrative tasks: Financial Page bogleheads.org. blog; finiki the Canadian wiki; The Bogle Center for Financial Literacy site; La Guía Bogleheads® España site.
CyberBob

Post by CyberBob »

Anyone a wiki search expert?

Here's the issue:
I created a page on Investment Policy Statements on the wiki. And, since people often refer to them by the acronym IPS, I also created a redirect page. So, if you type IPS into the search box and click Go it will automatically redirect to the main Investment Policy Statement page. No problem there; works beautifully.

However, if you type IPS into the search box and instead of clicking Go you click Search...you get nothing (even if you check List Redirects).

At Wikipedia it's different. As an example, their page on the Food and Drug Administration also has a redirect from the acronym FDA. If you put FDA into the search box and click Go it redirects to the main Food and Drug Administration page. And, if you click the Search button, that same Food and Drug Administration page is the first in the list.

Short of adding the acronyms to page titles, which would seem a very un-elegant way to do it, does anyone know how to make ours do that? I figured I'd ask here first before combing through the source code :annoyed

Bob
grberry

Post by grberry »

I won't call myself a Wiki search expert, but I've used it a few times. (Incidentally, the general consensus of English language Wikipedia editors is that the Wiki search tool is inferior to Google...) The search engine searches on the source text of a page, which does not include that page's title.

The Wiki search tool uses the Lucene (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucene, http://lucene.apache.org/) search engine; reviewing it might help. There is also on the English Wikipedia an intentional delay in updating the database for the search engine in order to limit the server workload, you might look for a delay parameter in the Wiki server configuration.

The behavior is somewhat similar at Wikipedia. You describe FDA; it redirects to a page that uses the acronym three times in the first three lines of the page source, so is a high priority redirect target. On the other hand "Douglas' Toadlet" is a redirect to "Douglas' Toad", yet the alternative name "Douglas' Toadlet" does not appear in the source text of "Douglas' Toad", so the search engine ranks it 9th of 9 possible results. This is why the Wikipedia style guide says that when redirects from alternative names are used, it is best if they appear in the intro of the target article.
zaplunken

Where's the Wiki?

Post by zaplunken »

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

I just don't understand the Wiki. If someone posts a link to a topic in it in a thread then fine but if I want to find something I am lost! For example, right now I want to find out if there is any discussion in it about doing a Roth conversion from a tax defered account? Rather than ask questions via a thread I thought I'd try to see what I can glean from the Wiki but I'm not sure how to even find it!

It's probably right under my nose but I'm lost.

Thanks
tonythered

Re: Where's the Wiki?

Post by tonythered »

zaplunken wrote:I'm sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

I just don't understand the Wiki. If someone posts a link to a topic in it in a thread then fine but if I want to find something I am lost! For example, right now I want to find out if there is any discussion in it about doing a Roth conversion from a tax defered account? Rather than ask questions via a thread I thought I'd try to see what I can glean from the Wiki but I'm not sure how to even find it!

It's probably right under my nose but I'm lost.

Thanks
Hi,
The wiki is pretty straightforward to use. Just click the Wiki link at the top of any page on this site to go here:
http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page

Then enter your search in the search box on the left.

I typed Roth Conversion and the first result was this:
http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Roth_IRA_conversion

Hope that helps!

PS - I was thrilled to see PiperWarrior in this thread, but sad to see how old the posts were. He is a very valuable contributor here and I hope to see him again!